PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsinites

maximus
08-18-2005, 09:34 PM
Everyone OK after the major storm that passed through most of WI? I heard of one dead in north-eastern WI. The storm is over my house as I write this. Tornado warnings have been issued. :(

Craptacular
08-18-2005, 10:13 PM
We had tornado warnings up the wazoo, but nothing too bad at my house or my workplace. There's some significant damage south of Madison (in Stoughton). I also heard reports that people in the Milwaukee area have found mail, newspaper, etc from the Madison area falling from the sky. The video and pictures they showed on the news captured tornadoes that look like they belong in Oklahoma, not the narrower kinds we usually have here.

PackerFanatic
08-18-2005, 10:17 PM
One dead in NE? I didn't hear that...we were lucky enough to have it go south of us, although Portage did have a warning (I live in Stevens Point) Hope the damage isn't too bad.

Fun thing was after work, however, I got to ride my bike home...in the pouring rain...coolest bike ride ever!

maximus
08-18-2005, 10:17 PM
We had tornado warnings up the wazoo, but nothing too bad at my house or my workplace. There's some significant damage south of Madison (in Stoughton). I also heard reports that people in the Milwaukee area have found mail, newspaper, etc from the Madison area falling from the sky. The video and pictures they showed on the news captured tornadoes that look like they belong in Oklahoma, not the narrower kinds we usually have here.

I know! Those tornados were pretty darn big.

The storm has passed by me. No problems here. :cool:

maximus
08-18-2005, 10:18 PM
One dead in NE? I didn't hear that...we were lucky enough to have it go south of us, although Portage did have a warning (I live in Stevens Point) Hope the damage isn't too bad.

Fun thing was after work, however, I got to ride my bike home...in the pouring rain...coolest bike ride ever!

I said NE but I meant north of me (I live near Kenosha). I misunderstood the news broadcast.

PackerFanatic
08-18-2005, 10:21 PM
That's still sad though.

maximus
08-18-2005, 10:22 PM
That's still sad though.

Yeah, channel 4 news here reported one dead due to the tornado. :(

edit: I dont recall which county though. I want to say it was in Dane county.

Craptacular
08-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Now I'm reading "breaking news" on the Wis State Journal site that says one dead, six injured, 15 houses destroyed, and 30 more houses damaged (and a country club roof ripped off) in the areas near Stoughton and Oregon.

maximus
08-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Now I'm reading "breaking news" on the Wis State Journal site that says one dead, six injured, 15 houses destroyed, and 30 more houses damaged (and a country club roof ripped off) in the areas near Stoughton and Oregon.

Yeah, I saw this on the news. There was a lot of damage done.

maximus
08-18-2005, 10:31 PM

OK, one dead in Stoughton. Just heard.

edit: 25 torandos were spotted in WI today. One was as high as 200 mph and rated at an F3. :eek:

PackerFanatic
08-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Holy shit...this summer has been pretty nasty for storms around here. Glad we didn't get hit with anything bad this time...

Izulde
08-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Yeah I heard the one dead in Stoughton bit.

We had a tornado warning here in Racine for a while. Was nice to have it blow over and the Patsies get beat. Bouman looked a lot better for the Saints than he ever did for the Vikings. :D

maximus
08-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Yeah I heard the one dead in Stoughton bit.

We had a tornado warning here in Racine for a while. Was nice to have it blow over and the Patsies get beat. Bouman looked a lot better for the Saints than he ever did for the Vikings. :D

Racine? you're only a 15 mintutes from me. :)

PackerFanatic
08-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Helluva lot more Wisconsinites here than I thought :) Rock on!

Raven Hawk
08-18-2005, 10:47 PM
I saw it from McHenry and it looked mighty nasty. The weather was clear down by us, but I could seethe fabulous thunderhead and lightning activity within. It was quite a light show. I hope everybody's OK.

maximus
08-18-2005, 10:53 PM
I saw it from McHenry and it looked mighty nasty. The weather was clear down by us, but I could seethe fabulous thunderhead and lightning activity within. It was quite a light show. I hope everybody's OK.

Dude, that thunderhead was right above my house. I caught it on video. :cool:

Izulde
08-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Racine? you're only a 15 mintutes from me. :)

Correct. :) I've been a student at Parkside too.

SegRat
08-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Wasnt to bad up here in Oshkosh. 1 Tornado warning which lasted about a half hour. The storms for the most part died out before the got to us. Southern Wisconsin took a beating.

Mustang
08-19-2005, 08:20 AM
We didn't have anything in West Bend.. seemed like the storm split in 2 sections.

BrianD
08-19-2005, 08:54 AM
We had some large T-storms in Green Bay. They made a lot of noise, but that was about it. There was a tornado in the New London/Waupaca area, but it never made it up to us.

PackerFanatic
08-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I heard about the one in New London too. Said it was headed toward Appleton (where my family lives) but it died out before it got there.

Pretty nasty night it seems, I will have to see the damage around this area in the newspaper tonight.

theclassic
08-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Sheboygan County has really dodged every bullet this year. There hasn't been a severe storm all year, and it's been remarkable dry. A lot of ponds have had their banks turn into beaches. I can only guess this means there will be a lot of rain in the fall, just in time for when my job turns into an indoor job, to an outside one.

Mustang
08-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Have to like this from the CNN article..

Lenny Peaslee, executive chef at the Stoughton Country Club, said the twister tore the roof off as about 40 people took refuge in the basement.

"We were ... hiding behind the bar," he said. "We had beer, anyway."

BrianD
08-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Sheboygan County has really dodged every bullet this year. There hasn't been a severe storm all year, and it's been remarkable dry. A lot of ponds have had their banks turn into beaches. I can only guess this means there will be a lot of rain in the fall, just in time for when my job turns into an indoor job, to an outside one.

After all of the flooding they have had in the past few years, it is about time they dodge a bullet.

maximus
08-19-2005, 01:25 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/19/wisconsin.tornado/index.html

CNN coverage. It was also on FOX news as well.

mauchow
08-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Just lots of hard rain here in Oskhosh B'Gosh.