PDA

View Full Version : Transferring cassettes to mp3

AZSpeechCoach
08-18-2005, 11:36 PM
After years of questioning digital music, I finally decided to take the plunge and get an iPod. I also decided to recreate my mix-tape collection (called Music To Run From 1-9) by finding my source material and ripping it to a playlist. I had been meaning to burn them to CD anyway for posterity. After scouring what my sister has left over from my mother's CD collection and visiting the iTunes store and local used CD stores, I have about 5 songs that I can't find at an affordable price anywhere. The toughest one of these to find is "Still Crusin'" by The Beach Boys which was only on an obscure and poor selling album in the late '80s. The only way that I may be able to get this song in the collection (I'm such an anal completist) is by ripping it from the cassette. How the hell do I do this? Do I connect a walkman up to my microphone jack on my computer? Would Windows Media Player be the best program for this? Help!

sovereignstar
08-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Do I connect a walkman up to my microphone jack on my computer?

That sounds like it should work.

ThunderingHERD
08-18-2005, 11:45 PM
line-out on your cassette player to line-in on your sound card. Might have to go to your windows volume settings, recording, and make sure "select" is checked under line-in. I don't think Media Player has a record from line-in feature. Shouldn't be hard to find a program that does though--I know Music Match Jukebox does.

DaddyTorgo
08-18-2005, 11:45 PM
bad scouring AZ.

http://songs2.allofmp3.com/r2/The_Beach_Boys/Still_Cruisin/group_741/album_37/mcatalog.shtml

sovereignstar
08-18-2005, 11:49 PM
bad scouring AZ.

http://songs2.allofmp3.com/r2/The_Beach_Boys/Still_Cruisin/group_741/album_37/mcatalog.shtml

The Russian mafia thanks you for the business!

DaddyTorgo
08-18-2005, 11:51 PM
hehe. well i think 10 cents to the russian mob isn't bad

edit: gotta be careful with your CC # though. maybe not the best plan ever. but i'm sure i could find it somewhere else...

JonInMiddleGA
08-19-2005, 01:17 AM
Amazon has it (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002UV5/ref=m_art_li_123/102-9642960-8383318?v=glance&s=music)

BigJohn&TheLions
08-19-2005, 01:31 AM
hehe. well i think 10 cents to the russian mob isn't bad

edit: gotta be careful with your CC # though. maybe not the best plan ever. but i'm sure i could find it somewhere else...
Duh... you don't use your cc#. Ask Jim for one, he's got a bunch.

AZSpeechCoach
08-20-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm not interested in letting the Russian Mafia have access to my finances, and I'm not willing to pay more than the album is worth from the Amazon resellers. I also didn't want to install spyware on my computer to get it from the gray market. How reliable is All of mp3 anyway?

Hurst2112
08-20-2005, 03:47 PM
how come the phrase 'russian mob' doesn't instill fear into me as it should?

i always thought pavel bure was a baby for being pushed around by them.

sovereignstar
08-20-2005, 03:54 PM
How reliable is All of mp3 anyway?

Actually I've been using AllofMP3.com since it was first mentioned here over a year ago. Never had any problems and I love the service.

Draft Dodger
08-20-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm not interested in letting the Russian Mafia have access to my finances, and I'm not willing to pay more than the album is worth from the Amazon resellers. I also didn't want to install spyware on my computer to get it from the gray market. How reliable is All of mp3 anyway?

fwiw, I found Still Cruisin' on a P2P with little trouble. not a very good encoding job, but I imagine I could find better versions if I looked very hard.