PDA

View Full Version : FOFC Blood Bowl league gearing up

Glengoyne
08-20-2005, 12:21 PM
We've got a few teams setup in the league so far.

Glengoyne: Black Powder Bulls Chaos Dwarves
Airhog : Orcish Snouts --Orcs
Whar : Darwin's Theory --Lizardmen
Katon : Primus Pain --Human
Alf : Ye olf NFL Boys --Orcs
Fafrac: GentleMen All --High Elves
Arctus: Advance Guard --Human
BYU14: London Maulers --Dwarf
Sir Fozzie: 46 Dwarven Devastators -- Dwarf

Fafrac isn't an FOFC guy, but we'll let that slide a bit. I believe he may be the most experienced player, so he could be our first season champ. Well unless those of us with bashier teams bust up his little girlie elves.

Last night I played my first bit of Blood Bowl in years against a fledgling Wood Elf team Whar put together. I used an extraordinary run of lucky dice to put myself in a position to waltz into the endzone for the game winning score. Instead, I completely forgot what I was doing, and tried to advance without blocking the two guys in my path. As a result, I fumbled, and the game ended in a tie. Ooops. I did bust up his elves pretty well though. By the end of the game they were fairly shorthanded. I've got lots of work to do figuring out how to play a running team. I'm used to Humans who are a double threat kind of team.

In any case. If you are interested, and haven't been invited by PM, post here for an invite. If you aren't interested, but have been invited let us know. We'd like to get rolling f in a week or so. The first wave of entrants will have their pre-season games wrapped up soon, and I'm sure we'll all be antsy to get started. Be careful when scheduling preseason games against tougher teams outside the league. Fafrac accepted a game against a mildly experienced Khemri team, and ended up losing so many players he needed to scrap the team or take a severely hobbled team into league play.

Once we have the number of players firmed up. Whar will devise a schedule, and post it back here and/or in the Dynasty forum.

The more the merrier, and just as a reminder we are talking about a fairly pedestrian paced league. A game a week. Just like the Nuffle.http://dynamic.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Poli
08-20-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm interested, but I have no idea what this game is about. :)

Glengoyne
08-20-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm interested, but I have no idea what this game is about. :)
Essentially we will be playing a Java based client version of a Pen and Paper RPG/Sports game. It takes place in a Fantasy world populated by Humans, Orcs, Elves, Forces of Chaos, and undead just to name a few.

The sport of the day is Blood Bowl. Sort of a cross between Rugby and American Football, but MUCH more violent. Death and dibilitating injury are not infrequent occurrences. As your team plays more games, your surviving players improve. The teams, which are race based, are all wildly different. While the Dwarves crunch their way progressively toward the end-zone RunTheBall style, the Wood-Elves dance around the end reversing field on a whim and complete long passes as a routine matter.

For more information check out fumbbl.com, or google blood bowl. There are a number of fan and strategy sites around to give you a better idea of the feel of the game.

Arctus
08-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Hi,

I would like to join the League if possible.

My screen name on fumbbl is also Arctus.

I would be playing with a Human team named Advance Guard.

Thanks

Glengoyne
08-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Arctus,

I'll have Whar invite you tonight or tomorrow morning. He'll do it when he next logs on.

Whar
08-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Advance Guard invite sent.

Fafrac's team is the Gentle Men All.

I will be posting a schedule Monday for the first weeks game. I wantedf to have that done today but a couple teams have been slow to accept invite.

Arctus
08-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Whar,

How did you sent the invite? As best I can tell, I haven't received one. Although if there is a PM function on fumbbl.com I am unaware of it.

Eilim
08-21-2005, 01:43 AM
Well, I'll defintely be following along. Lets see if I can cement a position as the league's first groupie/fanboi. :)

Would offer to join and play the role of league doormat but just got my copy of "The Game of Thrones" PnP RPG and its consuming all my free gaming time.

*puts on his spiked brass knuckles and waits for the first elf that ventures to close to the stands*

Izulde
08-21-2005, 01:45 AM
If I can find what I have to download, and if you don't mind waiting until Friday or Saturday night of next week if you don't start before Tuesday, then I'd be interested. :D

MacroGuru
08-21-2005, 08:50 AM
I am game as well...I just don't have any of the materials. I sold them a long time ago....I now....regret it.

Lidstrom
08-21-2005, 09:00 AM
What is Blood Bowl? An arcade style football game?

Glengoyne
08-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Whar,

How did you sent the invite? As best I can tell, I haven't received one. Although if there is a PM function on fumbbl.com I am unaware of it.
Go to your fumbbl account. Click on the Overview button at the top of the screen. You should see an invite on the resulting screen next to your team name.

JeeberD
08-21-2005, 10:40 AM

Essentially we will be playing a Java based client version of a Pen and Paper RPG/Sports game.

For more information check out fumbbl.com, or google blood bowl. There are a number of fan and strategy sites around to give you a better idea of the feel of the game.

Glengoyne
08-21-2005, 10:51 AM
There is a little explanation up the thread some. Just think of Fantasy Football with killings and mamings. When I say Fantasy, I mean elves, dwarves, hobbits, and the like. When I say maimings and killings, I mean that some of the skills your players can develop over time are specifically designed to knock your opponents out of the game or kill them. It is a pretty fun and flowing board/strategy game, that has been converted to Java so that even lowly MAC users can play games against cool Unix guys.

As for the Downloads Izulde, Go to fumbbl.com, and go to the FAQ. Everything you need to get you going is right there. I think we are shooting to have the first league games played next weekend, and given the pace we've been talking about there will be a week to get those played. So you could start next weekend, play a couple of preseason games against some Junior teams, maybe even against league members' non-league teams. There should be no problem.

For all interested, who haven't gotten an invite. Go to Fumbbl, create an account, and Whar will invite you once you post your fumbbl username here in this post.

IndoorSoccer, the lack of materials isn't too hampering. You can download the "Living Rules" from GW on the Internet. That is really the only thing required to play.

Lidstrom
08-21-2005, 10:57 AM
ah, sorry that I missed the details. Sounds a little interesting.,..

Arctus
08-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Go to your fumbbl account. Click on the Overview button at the top of the screen. You should see an invite on the resulting screen next to your team name.

Found it, I've accepted the invite.

SirFozzie
08-22-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm back. Name on Fumbbl is SirFozzie

SirFozzie
08-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Oh, BTW, if any of you read the Black Library books from Games Workshop, the first book of a trilogy about Blood Bowl is out. I picked it up at GenCon ;)

Alf
08-23-2005, 04:45 AM
Getting the rust off right now with some evils Amazones.

SirFozzie
08-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Bumping to make sure Whar sees this.

Whar
08-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Fozzie I need to you create a team for league play. The team can only have a max of 2 games played. The only team you have right now that qualifies is the Goblin Cheaters one. I doubt you want to do league with that group :)

If you can create the team and send me the name I will invite to league.

Chas in Cinti
08-23-2005, 03:42 PM
I believe I got a PM for this, but won't be able to commit right now... too much traveling for work has me away from my PC at inordinate times.

-Chas

SirFozzie
08-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Fozzie I need to you create a team for league play. The team can only have a max of 2 games played. The only team you have right now that qualifies is the Goblin Cheaters one. I doubt you want to do league with that group :)

If you can create the team and send me the name I will invite to league.

Doing so now:

Will be the 46 Dwarf Devestators when finished ;)

SirFozzie
08-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Ok... the 46 Dwarf Devestators have been submitted for approval :)

Marc Vaughan
08-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Sorry I can't make it - was very very tempted, but its approaching crunch time for FM2006 and I can't put the time into anything else I'm afraid, sorry .. :(

Fouts
08-23-2005, 05:20 PM
While I haven't played Blood Bowl in a few years, I'm interested in playing. Should I create a ranked team and just post the name, or has the league started already?

Schmidty
08-23-2005, 05:21 PM
I'd love to try, but I have no idea what BB is and I haven't read this thread....yet.

Whar
08-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Fouts,

We are using Unranked teams and yes you can still join. In fact it would help since Fozzie made 9 which would mean a rolling bye each week. If you join that would make 10.

Whar
08-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Schmidty if you go to fumbbl.com you will find the site we are playing on. If you have never played I would recommend downloading the game and playing a few to try it out.

If we can not get you into the first season perhaps you can take an expansion team next season.

Schmidty
08-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Schmidty if you go to fumbbl.com you will find the site we are playing on. If you have never played I would recommend downloading the game and playing a few to try it out.

If we can not get you into the first season perhaps you can take an expansion team next season.

Cool. I'll go to that site and try it out.

Glengoyne
08-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Sorry I can't make it - was very very tempted, but its approaching crunch time for FM2006 and I can't put the time into anything else I'm afraid, sorry .. :(
Hey there is always next season, and you would always be welcome. Oh good luck with crunch time.

SirFozzie
08-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Converting 46 DD to an unranked team Whar, you can send the invite then.

SirFozzie
08-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Done. Watiting for the Group invite.

And Marc, don't worry, we'll get you next year..

Oh.. if any one wants a game tonight, let me know, I can explain a lot of stuff if need be,

Fouts
08-23-2005, 08:15 PM
I'd try it out with you, but my team was disapproved. Gotta rework it and see what I did wrong. Think I don't have enough linemen.

SirFozzie
08-23-2005, 09:14 PM
you need 11 players to start, at least.

Whar
08-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Today is the last day for getting a team in. Get me a message in this thread or a PM here or on fumbbl (coach name is Whar). I will be posting the schedule for the first week later today.

Glengoyne
08-24-2005, 01:43 PM
I'd try it out with you, but my team was disapproved. Gotta rework it and see what I did wrong. Think I don't have enough linemen.
Fouts, Take a look at the FAQ out at FUMBBl. There is a section on Races along with strategy and possible team combinations. There are limits on the number of each position player you can have on a team. i.e. only 6 linemen, 2 throwers, 2 catchers, and the like. Perhaps that will help. Post the completed team name here, and Whar will send an invite.

Fouts
08-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Guys, I've had my team disapproved 4 times. Even after I changed just about everything. I've given up. Good luck with the season.

Chas in Cinti
08-24-2005, 04:11 PM
My team is approved, I should be able to play at least once per week...

Name: Chasncinti
Orc team, Dregs of Gorfolk

-Chas

Airhog
08-24-2005, 04:36 PM
Sorry guys, but I have to fold out. I just dont have the time to give to this game...