PDA

View Full Version : Movie: The 40 Year Old Virgin

Cringer
08-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Anyone else seen this?

Just got back from it and thought it was hilarious. Laughed my ass off all the way through. I even started laughing so hard during the chest waxing scene that I got a slight bloody nose. :D

Part of what made that part so funny was because it was real, even the blood....

Had a great ending too, the last few minutes capped it off perfect.

timmynausea
08-20-2005, 11:21 PM
I went to see it. It was way better than I expected.

It was extra funny for me because there were so many people over 65 at the theatre, which made scenes like the opening scene where Cal is talking to Andy about watching a "horse fuck a chick" a lot funnier.

Swaggs
08-20-2005, 11:25 PM
I liked it a lot, too.

I knew all about the chest waxing scene from seeing the previews and press clips about a million times during the week, but it still killed me the entire time.

Without spoiling, the very end, even though it was silly, really cracked me up when he was laying bed.

Cringer
08-20-2005, 11:27 PM
which made scenes like the opening scene where Cal is talking to Andy about watching a "horse fuck a chick" a lot funnier.

that was when I said to Loren 'Glad we didn't bring the kid to this one.'

Schmidty
08-20-2005, 11:29 PM
that was when I said to Loren 'Glad we didn't bring the kid to this one.'

I would have thought she had said 'Glad we didn't bring the kid to this one. :rolleyes: '

;)

Cringer
08-20-2005, 11:32 PM
I would have thought she had said 'Glad we didn't bring the kid to this one. :rolleyes: '

;)

thankfully it's dark, you can't see her eyes.
:D

Anthony
08-20-2005, 11:52 PM
It was extra funny for me because there were so many people over 65 at the theatre, .

OH MY GOD - at my theatre too! what the fuck? :confused:

Anthony
08-20-2005, 11:53 PM
i saw this movie with my wife and we loved it a lot. i'm not big on comedies - it takes a lot to make me laugh - but this was an extremely funny movie.

yo Cringer - his friend who worked in the stock room looks like you. you have a more manly beard, mind you, but the resemblence is uncanny.

the ending scene was completely out of left field, but very funny.

Cringer
08-21-2005, 12:08 AM
yo Cringer - his friend who worked in the stock room looks like you. you have a more manly beard, mind you, but the resemblence is uncanny.

this just made for a nice little laugh. i figured I would tell my wife you said this because I was telling her how it reminded me of someone.

anyways, her comment was this..."He doesn't look anything like you, he's white."

apperently she forgot for a second that I am white. :eek:

lighthousekeeper
08-21-2005, 12:28 AM
i'm not big on comedies - it takes a lot to make me laugh

For some reason the collective postings of HA have painted a picture of him in my mind:

http://zoloft.spb.su/img/zoloft/img13.jpg

Anthony
08-21-2005, 12:30 AM
http://www.imperialfl.us/images/cringer3.jpg

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1149494/photo_05_hires.jpg

they are brothers.

Izulde
08-21-2005, 12:55 AM
I laughed so hard during both times I've seen this movie it was unreal. Not to mention a great script, with so many quotable parts I don't know where to begin. :D One of the best comedies in years.

pennywisesb
08-21-2005, 12:02 PM
I just saw this movie last night and loved it! It was hilarious. Like others have said, the chest hair thing was amazingly funny and painful at the same time. I loved it when he walked home afterwords and there were blood stains on his shirt. I wonder if the things he was saying as they were waxing his chest were mostly improve because the other characters in the movie were cracking up a storm at it.

albionmoonlight
08-21-2005, 12:04 PM
funny, funny movie.

Airhog
08-21-2005, 12:05 PM
the chest waxing scene was real, and unscripted...

Philliesfan980
08-21-2005, 12:11 PM
the chest waxing scene was real, and unscripted...

Yeah, that part of the movie was great. I always love watching when the characters in a movie/tv show are really having a good honest funny moment. Sorta like that one Seinfeld episode where Kramer was like "Look away... I'm hideous" and Jerry was literally cracking up.

Joe
08-21-2005, 03:07 PM
do the Anchorman haters like this movie? Considering it had all of Ron Burgundy's news team in it?

Karlifornia
08-21-2005, 03:56 PM
do the Anchorman haters like this movie? Considering it had all of Ron Burgundy's news team in it?

As one of the people who thought Anchorman was borderline retarded, I can say that 40 Year-Old Virgin is better by leaps and bounds. Anyone notice that Trish's daughter had a huuuuuge rack?

Swaggs
08-21-2005, 04:18 PM

I wasn't exactly a hater of Anchorman, but was disappointed with it and I really liked this one.

Izulde
08-21-2005, 08:37 PM
As one of the people who thought Anchorman was borderline retarded, I can say that 40 Year-Old Virgin is better by leaps and bounds. Anyone notice that Trish's daughter had a huuuuuge rack?

Trish's daughter was mos def hot. I'd tap that. And I don't even have a Jewfro or a tiny penis!

timmynausea
08-21-2005, 08:38 PM
. Anyone notice that Trish's daughter had a huuuuuge rack?

Yep.

Cringer
08-21-2005, 09:01 PM

I love Anchorman, but I am pretty close to thinking this is better. Although it may just because it is new to me and have only seen it once.

Anthony
08-21-2005, 11:14 PM
this movie takes a bloody shit on Anchorman.

Butter
08-22-2005, 07:20 AM
This is not normally my kind of movie, but I thought it was great. Laughed all the way through it. Just very well done. And I guess I live in a cave, because I didn't know the chest waxing thing was improv'd. Makes it even more funny to think back on it.

Anthony
08-22-2005, 08:45 AM
i didn't know it was improved, but while i was watching it i said "if this were improved i wouldn't be surprised". i had a feeling that the director, in order to make it seem more authentic, would have told Steve Carrell to just wing it.

there were a lot of classic scenes in this movie. like his two co-workers saying how gay the other was, the "you know how i know you're gay..." scene.

ISiddiqui
09-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Just saw it this weekend. LOVED IT! It was utterly hilarious. They could have gone the 'gross out' comedy routine and easily gotten their money, but they avoided that and actually told a pretty decent story. And Carrell came off as completely authentic.

"Go Fuck a Goat!"
"Why are you always telling me to fuck a goat, man?"

LOL... great stuff!

Honolulu_Blue
09-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Just saw it this weekend. LOVED IT! It was utterly hilarious. They could have gone the 'gross out' comedy routine and easily gotten their money, but they avoided that and actually told a pretty decent story. And Carrell came off as completely authentic.

"Go Fuck a Goat!"
"Why are you always telling me to fuck a goat, man?"

LOL... great stuff!
Ah! There is hope for you yet!!

A great movie indeed.

ISiddiqui
09-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Jesus, we disagreed on a few movies and you just. can't. let. it. go. :rolleyes:

Move on with your life.

Honolulu_Blue
09-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Jesus, we disagreed on a few movies and you just. can't. let. it. go. :rolleyes:

Move on with your life.
I'm just making with the funny, mate. :D

Chill! ;)

ISiddiqui
09-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Yes, and it's like saying All Your Base Belong to Us in 2005 and thinking you are a comic genius. At some point, you have to let it go.

Passacaglia
09-22-2005, 10:11 AM
But...all your base ARE belong to us!!

WSUCougar
02-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Finally saw this. Quite a hoot. I thought it borrowed a bit from Office Space, but no harm done.

But what's with the ending? You guys thought that was funny?

larrymcg421
02-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Finally saw this. Quite a hoot. I thought it borrowed a bit from Office Space, but no harm done.

I thought it was a hilarious and a great energetic way to end the movie. It reminded me of the ending to There's Something About Mary.

Ksyrup
02-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I saw it Saturday night on PPV. Next up is Wedding Crashers at some point.

Swaggs
02-08-2006, 12:40 PM

The ending killed me. I loved it.

ISiddiqui
02-08-2006, 12:42 PM
The ending was absolutely brilliant in its surrealness.

Draft Dodger
02-08-2006, 12:43 PM
loved the ending, and I hate musicals.
way better than the wedding crashers ending, that's for sure.

Butter
02-08-2006, 12:44 PM
The ending was absolutely brilliant in its surrealness.

Also, I think it was fitting in that they needed some way to express his joy and wonder at what was taking place... it seemed to fit right in to me. I thought it was perfect.

pennywisesb
02-08-2006, 12:47 PM
I thought it was a hilarious and a great energetic way to end the movie. It reminded me of the ending to There's Something About Mary.

I couldn't agree more. I loved the ending of There's Something About Mary and I loved the ending of 40 Year Old Virgin as well.

WSUCougar
02-08-2006, 12:48 PM
I thought it went on way too long. Just my two cents.

Honolulu_Blue
02-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Also, I think it was fitting in that they needed some way to express his joy and wonder at what was taking place... it seemed to fit right in to me. I thought it was perfect.
I agree with this. It thought it was perfect and hillarious.

Neon_Chaos
02-08-2006, 01:07 PM
IT'S THE AGE OF AQUARIUS!

mauchow
02-08-2006, 01:11 PM
I watched the uncut version recently and thought it was awful.. I liked it cut more because it didn't have stupid useless scenes added. A few of them were funny, but most of the time not.

gkb
02-08-2006, 05:56 PM
I got this on DVD and watched the director's cut or whatever. I really enjoy The Office and thought I would love this, but I ended up with feeling "meh". There were some funny parts, it wasn't horrible, but I didn't think it was great either.

Butter
02-09-2006, 07:26 AM
I have heard a lot of people (not just here) who have gotten the "unrated" director's cut or whatever didn't like it as much as people who saw the original did. Maybe this movie was a case where less was more.

saldana
02-09-2006, 11:23 AM
i watched the unrated directors cut and thought it was a bit long and drug on a bit towards the end...maybe i need to watch the short version...thought it was hilarious pretty much the whole time....btw, did anyone else notice that the fat guy working on the floor in the hotel room was singing the same song that the woman manager at the electronics store was singing when she was talking about the dreamboat guy that she screwed? i actually thought that was one of the funniest bits in the movie.

MizzouRah
02-09-2006, 12:25 PM
i watched the unrated directors cut and thought it was a bit long and drug on a bit towards the end...maybe i need to watch the short version...thought it was hilarious pretty much the whole time....btw, did anyone else notice that the fat guy working on the floor in the hotel room was singing the same song that the woman manager at the electronics store was singing when she was talking about the dreamboat guy that she screwed? i actually thought that was one of the funniest bits in the movie.
Yep, a bit long. My wife was asleep and I had laughed all I could and was thinking, "When is this movie going to end?". :)

Raiders Army
02-09-2006, 05:15 PM
I have heard a lot of people (not just here) who have gotten the "unrated" director's cut or whatever didn't like it as much as people who saw the original did. Maybe this movie was a case where less was more.
I didn't see the original cut, but I thought the director's cut was too long. I think I fell asleep during the last quarter of it.