PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Phillips is on a rampage!

cthomer5000
08-21-2005, 10:19 PM
LOS ANGELES -- Former NFL running back Lawrence Phillips, who was wanted by police for domestic violence, was arrested Sunday after allegedly running his car into three teenagers who argued with him during a pickup football game, police said.

Police had been seeking Phillips since earlier this month for allegedly attacking his girlfriend twice, once choking her into unconsciousness.

Phillips joined a group of 16- and 17-year-olds in a pickup football game in Exposition Park on Sunday and got into an argument with several of the teens, said Los Angeles police officer Sandra Escalante. He left the park, but returned and drove a black Honda onto the field, allegedly running into three teenage boys, she said.

The teenagers were taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries, police said.

The car Phillips was driving was reported stolen in San Diego earlier in the week, Escalante said.

Phillips was arrested and held on the domestic violence felony warrant. Charges are pending in the Sunday incident, she said.

San Diego Police had offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to Phillips' whereabouts, and said he had indicated he wouldn't surrender peacefully.

The first domestic assault, in which police say Phillips' 28-year-old girlfriend was choked, allegedly occurred Aug. 2 at her San Diego home. Police said the second assault allegedly took place 11 days later when Phillips confronted the woman at a party.

In both cases he left the scene before officers could arrest him.

Police have said Phillips is also wanted on an outstanding felony warrant from Los Angeles for an unrelated domestic violence case.

The former University of Nebraska star has a history of high-profile trouble with the law going back a decade to his time as one of the nation's top college football players.

He was drafted sixth overall in 1996 by the St. Louis Rams despite pleading no contest to a charge of domestic violence in a confrontation with a girlfriend. He was released for insubordination in 1997 after 25 games with the Rams.

Phillips signed with the Miami Dolphins later in the 1997 season, but was released after pleading no contest to hitting a woman in a nightclub.

He was the top offensive player in NFL Europe in 1999 after setting league records for rushing and touchdowns with the Barcelona Dragons.

He signed with the San Francisco 49ers in 1999, but was released for missing a practice. He later played in the Canadian Football League.

Cringer
08-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Ah, to be an NFL bust. Join the teenagers in a pickup game of football so you can try to feel superior. Nice.

And his car was a stolen car, too. Classy.

Draft Dodger
08-21-2005, 10:31 PM
honestly, just yesterday (while reading an article on Koren Robinson) I asked myself "hey, I wonder what ever happened to Lawrence Phillips?"

JonInMiddleGA
08-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Apparently he decided it was time to unleash the f'n fury.

timmynausea
08-21-2005, 10:59 PM
You know, I remember that back when he was drafted a lot of people said he was too much trouble and he wouldn't be playing football within 2 years. Boy, were they wrong. It's been like 8 years, and he's still playing football!

Vinatieri for Prez
08-21-2005, 11:50 PM
What a waste of talent, but no sympathy here. I was at UNL when he was there, and he was given every break you could get, including a free pass for dragging your girlfriend down the stairs by the hair, and punching your teammate (QB Scott Frost) in the face (or something like that). He was awesome on the field though. Best college RB I have seen in person at a game. With another brain, he could have lit it up in the NFL. Now, they should just lock him up.

jackyl
08-22-2005, 12:10 AM
I actually thought of doing a dynasty about him starting in '96, and trying to get him into the HOF with some rings and a couple if rushing records, right after he choked his GF earlier this month.

Phillips is the best college player I've ever seen in person. And I was at UT during Ricky's career. Remember the beatdown of Florida in the Fiesta Bowl back then?

What a waste, like V4P said.

sterlingice
08-22-2005, 02:15 AM
With a title like "Lawrence Phillips is on a rampage", it could have been any number of things. :D

SI

Ksyrup
08-22-2005, 06:42 AM
I figured this article was going to be about his signing with the XFL2's Las Vegas Roid Rampage or something like that.

WSUCougar
08-22-2005, 06:47 AM
One would think that the pool of potential Lawrence Phillips girlfriends out there is getting really small.

One would think.

Izulde
08-22-2005, 07:14 AM
One would think that the pool of potential Lawrence Phillips girlfriends out there is getting really small.

One would think.

The girls they like they bad boys.

Kodos
08-22-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm sure Jimmy Johnson would give him another chance even today.

cuervo72
08-22-2005, 08:22 AM
My first thought sadly was that he must have gotten his hands on some Dyne...

A-Husker-4-Life
08-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Go away, please just go away... A PICKUP GAME!!??!! With teenagers? Jeesh, why won't he just go away...

BigJohn&TheLions
08-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Why can't he be more like Curtis Enis?

Wolfpack
08-22-2005, 09:48 AM
With a title like "Lawrence Phillips is on a rampage", it could have been any number of things. :D

SI

Judging by the article's contents. It was any number of things. :)

ageofquarrel
08-22-2005, 10:20 AM
This picture confirms he is on a Rampage.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/ageofquarrel/rampage.gif

HomerJSimpson
08-22-2005, 11:53 AM
What are the odds his life ends by being gunned down by police? 2-to-1?

cuervo72
08-22-2005, 11:57 AM
I loved that game.

Karlifornia
08-22-2005, 03:53 PM
I was just thinking about Lawrence Phillips as well. I think I made a post in the Larry Centers thread that mentioned him. He's the intergender UFC champion.

miami_fan
10-10-2006, 10:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2620745

LOS ANGELES -- Former NFL and Nebraska running back Lawrence Phillips was convicted Tuesday of seven counts of assault with a deadly weapon for driving a car at a group of young men, injuring three.

The 31-year-old Phillips drove onto a field near Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum after losing a pickup football game on Aug. 21, 2005. He struck two boys, ages 14 and 15, and a 19-year-old man and narrowly missed four others between 15 and 24 years old, according to the prosecutor.

The three who were struck sustained "severe bumps and bruises and cuts," Deputy District Attorney Todd Hicks said.

A Los Angeles Superior Court jury deliberated about an hour before finding Phillips guilty, Hicks said.

Phillips faces up to 20 years in state prison. A sentencing date is expected to be set Oct. 19.

The prosecutor told jurors that Phillips became agitated when his team fell behind in the pickup game. He left the field, accused the boys of stealing from him and drove onto the field at a high rate of speed, Hicks said.

Defense attorney Leslie Ringold argued that her client's actions were neither willful nor intentional and said there was "woefully insufficient evidence of assault."

She said the car Phillips was driving first hit the front wheel of a bike and fishtailed.

Phillips was arrested that day and has remained jailed since.

He has a history of trouble with the law, going back a decade to his time as one of the nation's top college football players.

The St. Louis Rams released him for insubordination in 1997 after he played 25 games with them. Phillips signed with the Miami Dolphins later in the 1997 season but was released after pleading no contest to hitting a woman in a nightclub.

Phillips was the top offensive player in NFL Europe in 1999 after setting league records for rushing and touchdowns with the Barcelona Dragons.

He signed with the San Francisco 49ers later that year but was released for missing a practice. He has also played in the Canadian Football League.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Vegas Vic
10-11-2006, 04:45 AM
I don't know if they have the "eight strikes and you're out" program in California, but if they do, Phillips is in big trouble.

MrBigglesworth
10-11-2006, 12:57 PM
She said the car Phillips was driving first hit the front wheel of a bike and fishtailed.
Phillips has the worst luck ever. I mean, his car, obviously driving slowly since he was in close proximity to a bike, accidentally bumped into the bike at the exact angle that would make the couple thousand pound car fishtail and accelerate into a group of people that he had just been having a heated argument with! I mean, what are the odds!

Anthony
10-11-2006, 01:41 PM
you know - it really sucks at all the chances he was given in his life, he was hired by an NFL team 3 times, despite all his problems. it really is a shame that pro sports will put stuff like problem people as a non-priority, just as long as you got the speed of a gazelle and the agility of a cat. i'm not saying no one should ever be given a second chance, but this guy has been nothing but a fuckup - how did the 49ers in '99 think that after all that time he was gonna turn things around?

Honolulu_Blue
10-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Phillips has the worst luck ever. I mean, his car, obviously driving slowly since he was in close proximity to a bike, accidentally bumped into the bike at the exact angle that would make the couple thousand pound car fishtail and accelerate into a group of people that he had just been having a heated argument with! I mean, what are the odds!

Tell me about it. Between that and the fact that almost every woman he's ever dated has fallen down the stairs or run into a door or something, this guy just can't win.

SnDvls
10-11-2006, 05:09 PM

Tell me about it. Between that and the fact that almost every woman he's ever dated has fallen down the stairs or run into a door or something, this guy just can't win.

these have to be the two funniest posts in this thread.

sterlingice
10-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Agreed :D

SI

Passacaglia
10-13-2006, 08:59 AM
I wonder if those kids even knew who he was.

Kodos
10-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Maybe he can share a cell with Cecil the Diesel.