PDA

View Full Version : 49ers Offensive Line

TroyF
08-21-2005, 11:05 PM
I hesitate to post this because of the horrible tragedy suffered by everyone who follows the organization. I was at the game and it's hard for me to believe someone I had watched minutes earlier was no longer here. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Having said all of that, I have to say the first and second team offensive lines may be some of the worst I've ever seen on a football field. Alex <Smith, should he start, will get the Troy Aikmen beating this year.

The 49ers have a lethal combination. . . a horrible offensive line and not a single WR who threatens the defense. Denver was putting 9 men in the box to stop the run, but they rarely rushed more than 4. There was a play on a 3rd and 5 where Smith went back to pass and the pocket collaped from the right, left and center at the same time. He didn't even have time to drop to his second read. (I don't mean because he was a rookie, he actually had time to make one read before all hell broke loose)

If I had a bet, my money would be on the Niners going through 4 QB's this year. Those guys are going to get beaten up badly.

aran
08-21-2005, 11:13 PM
You think they're going to break Harrington's record?

TroyF
08-21-2005, 11:18 PM
You think they're going to break Harrington's record?

If there was a way to measure hits taken, I think this years Niners team could very well set the record. I dunno if they'll get more sacks or not, but they are going to be battered and bloodied.

CHEMICAL SOLDIER
08-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Whatever happened to Jeremy Newberry? Is he retired yet or permanently injured?

Sun Tzu
08-22-2005, 02:15 AM
He's expected to be out until the first game of the season (Newberry). Rookie guard Baas should be back around the same time...hopefuly when those two are back and everybody is back to playing their "natural" positions we'll have some resemblence of the old stone wall that use to be the 49ers O-line.

Vince
08-22-2005, 03:09 AM
hopefuly...we'll have some resemblence of the old stone wall that use to be the 49ers O-line.
We need a lot more than all of our guys to be healthy to accomplish that :(

Karlifornia
08-22-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm not worried at all. The Niners have some hosses that they can throw in there: Harris Barton, Jessie Sapolu, Steve Wallace, Guy McIntyre, Randy Cross...they'll be fine.

Darkiller
08-22-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm not worried at all. The Niners have some hosses that they can throw in there: Harris Barton, Jessie Sapolu, Steve Wallace, Guy McIntyre, Randy Cross...they'll be fine.
Oh man, those great names...it's been a while...

saldana
08-22-2005, 01:48 PM
as a huge niners fan, i plan on watching the first quarter of their first game, and then drinking heavily in an attempt to obliterate the entire thing from memory while crying on my joe montana jersey

clintl
08-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Having said all of that, I have to say the first and second team offensive lines may be some of the worst I've ever seen on a football field. Alex <Smith, should he start, will get the Troy Aikmen beating this year.

The 49ers have a lethal combination. . . a horrible offensive line and not a single WR who threatens the defense.

This is why the 49ers should not start Smith this year. Let him watch Rattay play.

Lathum
08-22-2005, 09:07 PM
as a huge niners fan, i plan on watching the first quarter of their first game, and then drinking heavily in an attempt to obliterate the entire thing from memory while crying on my joe montana jersey
and I will be laughing the whole time......