PDA

View Full Version : PING: History Majors

CHEMICAL SOLDIER
08-22-2005, 11:19 AM
To all the history majors out there,
Im taking 2 HIST 400 Classes and was wondering how heavy those classes will be for me. The classes are HIST 419A Britain to 1600 and HIST 463 Hist of Europe 1850- 1914. Just want to know what Im getting myself into.

Raiders Army
08-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Why look backward when you can look forward?

terpkristin
08-22-2005, 11:50 AM
CS,

Not to be rude, but don't you have an advisor or something? I mean, you go to a college that maybe 1 or 2 of the members here have gone to (maybe, I don't know what college you're at), and these types of things can vary widely from school to school. This is what advisors and fellow members of your department are for--so you can ask those who did it before you what kind of bruising you're in for.

That said, I can't think of too many programs I've ever heard of where a senior has been able to get away with taking only 1 400-level class in a semester. As for myself, I was taking 400 level physics classes in my sophomore year (painfully I might add), to avoid taking them ALL in my senior year (still had both senior semesters with 2 400 level classes each, IIRC).

YMMV, but I'd expect that 2 400-level classes for a senior in the major (or really any student in the major) is more the norm than it is the rarity, and you will probably be fine.

/tk

WSUCougar
08-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Define "heavy." You'll probably have ample reading requirements as well as several research papers on your plate. Some pretty meaty historical topics to wade through as well (early Britain, War of the Roses, German and Italian unification, pre-WWI diplomacy, etc.).

flere-imsaho
08-22-2005, 12:02 PM
What WSUCougar said. I'd expect any senior to be able to do 2 "highest-level" classes in their major per semester. Heck, I'd expect any junior to be able to do it.

Just expect to be reading & writing all the time. Hopefully by now you have a note-taking system that's efficient and works for you, as well. :)

Also, my masters' is in pre-1600 Britain, so if you have questions, feel free to post them. :D

WSUCougar
08-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Also, my masters' is in pre-1600 Britain, so if you have questions, feel free to post them.
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Daimyo
08-22-2005, 12:08 PM
That said, I can't think of too many programs I've ever heard of where a senior has been able to get away with taking only 1 400-level class in a semester. As for myself, I was taking 400 level physics classes in my sophomore year (painfully I might add), to avoid taking them ALL in my senior year (still had both senior semesters with 2 400 level classes each, IIRC).

YMMV, but I'd expect that 2 400-level classes for a senior in the major (or really any student in the major) is more the norm than it is the rarity, and you will probably be fine.

/tk
Just to illustrate your earlier point... at Northwestern 400-levels are usually MS level classes with 100, 200, and 300 used for undergrad classes. Without a proper frame of reference there is no way anyone here can answer this question.

terpkristin
08-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Exactly, Daimyo. :)
Thanks for the backup.
But also like flere said, a senior (and probably even a junior) is usually expected to and quite often should be able to complete 2 "senior level" classes in a semester...

/tk

flere-imsaho
08-22-2005, 12:12 PM
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

I'll refer you to my thesis. :p