PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide Wireless Internet?

Toddiec
08-23-2005, 09:44 AM
My parents are retiring this month and heading out on the road in the RV for a year or two. They need to be able to check the net at least once every couple of days to keep up on email, grandkids, etc. I have been assigned the task of finding an ISP that they can hook up to no matter where they are in the country. Do any of you guys have or know about a service that can provide this kind of coverage?

Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Toddiec

Hurst2112
08-23-2005, 10:19 AM
broadband or dial up? i would say make sure they frequent coffee shops.

Toddiec
08-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Broadband. The more I look around the more it seems that just getting a wireless card for their laptop and hunting for hotspots is the way to go. It looks like there are a couple of satellite based options out there, but they are pretty expensive.

Hurst2112
08-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Broadband. The more I look around the more it seems that just getting a wireless card for their laptop and hunting for hotspots is the way to go. It looks like there are a couple of satellite based options out there, but they are pretty expensive.

yeah, unless you can squeeze out an excellent deal on wireless phone internet service, i would look for hotspots. im always shocked at the amount of places that offer it now. even hotel lounges and lobbies.

hell, get a list of hotels that offer it and tell your parents to park outside the lobby for an hour or 2.

Toddiec
08-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Yeah, that sounds good. I will put together a packet and map of hotspots for them to use. I appreciate your help Hurst2112.

lurker
08-23-2005, 11:36 AM
You should check this site out: http://www.wififreespot.com

wishbone
08-23-2005, 11:49 AM
They should also get one of those wifi detectors to help them find public hotspots that may not be listed

http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CES10548

thetrilogy
08-23-2005, 12:02 PM
If the want a dedicated internet they don't want
to have to search around for can't they get DirecTv service? Don't they make a dish specifically for campers/rvs? DirectWay internet is what is offered by DirecTv.
Just a thought.

dawgfan
08-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Aren't most Starbucks offering free WiFi nowadays? Most hotels will also have WiFi hotspots, but I've discovered the upscale chains are now starting to charge extra for the privilege which is a bit annoying. You'd think paying $199/night for a room at the Hyatt would include free internet service, but apparently not any more. My dad was able to get free WiFi in a Denny's-type diner next to his hotel when he visited me in Chicago. I would hazard a guess that any fairly big city they visit will have places where they can get free WiFi access.

Do RV lots come with land-line phone connections? If so, they'd have the option of dial-up as a backup plan for when the WiFi access is limited.

Toddiec
08-23-2005, 01:29 PM
I am finding out that there are quite a few RV parks with wireless net. There seem to be a bunch of truck stops as well.

Thetrilogy, I did find the Direcway type dish that you mount on top of the RV. That was pretty slick (you press a button and it automatically aligns the dish and you are up and running in a few minutes), but it was $100 per month. I was too afraid to check on the install costs.

Thanks for the links lurker and wishbone, I will check those out.

lurker
08-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Aren't most Starbucks offering free WiFi nowadays?

None of the Starbucks I've gone to have it for free -- have you seen any in Chicago that do? If so, I'm there!

dawgfan
08-23-2005, 01:49 PM
None of the Starbucks I've gone to have it for free -- have you seen any in Chicago that do? If so, I'm there!

I was just working off of dim memory of things I'd read or heard about. I was under the impression that many of them had free WiFi access, but that may have been an incorrect impression on my part. I also think I remember hearing something about how Starbucks was reconsidering free WiFi as they were having problems with people loitering too long. Perhaps they used to have free WiFi and have now stopped offering it? I know when I walk by Starbucks stores I usually see multiple people working on their laptops, though I have no idea if they're online or not.

Even if Starbucks isn't a free spot, there are usually many coffee shops in larger towns that offer internet access, though whether one can find free WiFi hotspots is another matter.

lurker
08-23-2005, 03:15 PM
I know when I walk by Starbucks stores I usually see multiple people working on their laptops, though I have no idea if they're online or not.

If you ever see me and Passacaglia with a laptop at a coffee shop, he's not online -- he's playing Football Manager while I study stats. Seems fair, right? :)

But you're right, there are plenty of free wifi spots, so I don't know why anyone would still pay for it at a hotspot.