PDA

View Full Version : Chicks Who Get High are Hot

Subby
08-23-2005, 04:22 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20050821/capt.sge.aws97.210805224705.photo01.photo.default-384x284.jpg

ANOTHER MYTH SHATTERED

An older woman smokes a marijuana joint at Hempfest in Seattle, Washington. More than 150,000 people were expected to attend Hempfest at Seattle's Myrtle Edwards Park on Seattle's waterfront 21-22 August 2004. The event is billed as the world's largest drug-policy reform rally.(AFP/Getty Images/Ron Wurzer)

Lathum
08-23-2005, 04:24 PM
very strange, how are there not cops all over?

Karlifornia
08-23-2005, 04:24 PM
It was so hilarious watching 150,000 people try and figure out how to order a pizza.

ThunderingHERD
08-23-2005, 04:28 PM
I'd do her.

Pacersfan46
08-23-2005, 04:31 PM

I've always wondered that about things like that. I'd be sitting my dounut eating ass there all day throwing them in wagons faster than they can get me another one to fill up with hemp lovers.

JonInMiddleGA
08-23-2005, 04:32 PM

It's the left-coast.

WSUCougar
08-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Genuine pot-related question: Where does the term "joint" originate?

ThunderingHERD
08-23-2005, 04:37 PM
joint (n.)

c.1290, "a part of a body where two bones meet and move in contact with one another," from O.Fr. joint, from L. junctus, pp. of jungere "join" (see jugular). Slang meaning of "place, building, establishment" (esp. one where persons meet for shady activities) first recorded 1877, Amer.Eng., from an earlier Anglo-Irish sense (1821), perhaps on the notion of a side-room, one "joined" to a main room. The original U.S. sense was especially of "an opium-smoking den." Meaning "marijuana cigarette" (1938) is perhaps from notion of something often smoked in common, but there are other possibilities; earlier joint in drug slang meant "hypodermic outfit" (1935). Meaning "prison" is from 1953.

dawgfan
08-23-2005, 04:57 PM

My impression from years past is that the cops have a moderate presence at Hempfest to make sure it doesn't get out of hand, but I don't think there's so many there that someone couldn't sneak a smoke in for a few minutes - it's very crowded and it's not like most people there are going to tattle.

I think like in most big cities, the cops in Seattle don't worry overly much about individual marijuana usage - given a limited number of cops, they tend to focus about more important things.

dawgfan
08-23-2005, 04:57 PM
It's the left-coast.

The more accurate answer is "It's a big city."

JonInMiddleGA
08-23-2005, 05:14 PM
The more accurate answer is "It's a big city."

I dare say there's some places where this would be taken with a more appropriate level of seriousness. Surely not all "big cities" have decided to just ignore open violations of the law.

Schmidty
08-23-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm not against legalization, but that park thing is yet another reason why I HATE Seattle and NW Washington in particular. Why ruin the day for parents and kids because you want to smoke pot legally. Bah, I know I don't make sense wit that statement, but....Bah.

By the way, if my wife would let me, I'd be out of here in a heartbeat and back in Michigan.

Subby
08-23-2005, 05:48 PM
I hate pot and pot culture but for some reason this doesn't really bother me...

Schmidty
08-23-2005, 05:55 PM
I hate pot and pot culture but for some reason this doesn't really bother me...

It bothers me because I know where the park is, and the fact that families occasionally go there. It's public property, but it's just annoying that potheads can't pick a better place to waft their nasty stench.

lungs
08-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Boy I wish my car could make it there. I guess I'll just sit here and smoke some dope.

dawgfan
08-23-2005, 05:59 PM
I dare say there's some places where this would be taken with a more appropriate level of seriousness. Surely not all "big cities" have decided to just ignore open violations of the law.

Whatever. A few people sneaking a public smoking of a joint at a festival promoting both the legalization of pot and (more importantly for the organizers) allowing farmers in this country to grow hemp crops is hardly as serious as dealing with real crime like theft, assault, rape and murder.

Do you have the same opinion of cops being casual about public consumption of beer when tailgaiting for a football game?

dawgfan
08-23-2005, 06:03 PM
It bothers me because I know where the park is, and the fact that families occasionally go there. It's public property, but it's just annoying that potheads can't pick a better place to waft their nasty stench.

You do realize this isn't some random happenstance but a widely advertised festival that's occurred annually for over 20 years, and around the last 10 years at Myrtle Edwards, right? For a family to wander into Myrtle Edwards during Hempfest and be shocked at the proceedings would indicate a high level of obliviousness. It's only one weekend out of the year - I think the city has enough parks and such that the families not interested in Hempfest can avoid that park on those two days without a major inconvenience.

lungs
08-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Also, go to certain types of concerts anywhere and you're likely toget a whiff if you don't see it. Not on the scale of this big festival but certainly noticeable and not enforced. I will say it's less likely at a country concert though. The liquor sure flows at them I'm guessing.

Raven
08-23-2005, 06:07 PM
It's public property, but it's just annoying that potheads can't pick a better place to waft their nasty stench.

t's funny to me how people use the word "pothead". It's like weed smokers are degenerates of the earth.

Raiders Army
08-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Well, pothead is bad. I think a weed smoker is worse. Ganja-motherfucker is probably at the far end of the scale.

Schmidty
08-23-2005, 06:21 PM
t's funny to me how people use the word "pothead". It's like weed smokers are degenerates of the earth.

As I said above, I'm not against legalization (since tobacco is as bad IMO), but I DESPISE the smell of pot (and cigarette) smoke, and don't like the idea of 150,000 people reeking up Seattle and ruining everyone else's day to prove a point that could be made better somewhere else.

ThunderingHERD
08-23-2005, 06:23 PM
I don't take pothead to refer to anyone that smokes marijuana, only the annoying hippy type.

Schmidty
08-23-2005, 06:24 PM
You do realize this isn't some random happenstance but a widely advertised festival that's occurred annually for over 20 years, and around the last 10 years at Myrtle Edwards, right? For a family to wander into Myrtle Edwards during Hempfest and be shocked at the proceedings would indicate a high level of obliviousness. It's only one weekend out of the year - I think the city has enough parks and such that the families not interested in Hempfest can avoid that park on those two days without a major inconvenience.

No, I didn't know that as I'm not from here. By the way, I have to tell you that I'm sorry for not specifying things better: I don't hate NW Washington, I just dislike the majority of self-assured assholes that live here. The land is absiolutely beautiful. I've fallen in love with it. I'd be offended if so someone insulted my home area since I find West Michigan to be beautiful too. But if you disliked most of the people, I could deal with it. :)

Subby
08-23-2005, 07:09 PM
I bet the patchouli smell there is worse than anything else.

Schmidty
08-23-2005, 07:17 PM
I bet the patchouli smell there is worse than anything else.

I've always like patchouli incense. Wierd, huh.

My wife won't let me burn it though. She get's to stink up the house with Potpourri though. Not fair.

Yellow5
08-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Damn Schmidty Bellingham is the pot capital of Washington State! You are more likley to have your day ruined at a park in Bellingham than in Seattle. :)

I understand what you mean about the smell of pot and cig smoke. I quit smoking cigs about 6 years ago and *hate* the smell of them now.

McSweeny
08-23-2005, 07:36 PM
It's the left-coast.

it's the same way over here

Schmidty
08-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Damn Schmidty Bellingham is the pot capital of Washington State! You are more likley to have your day ruined at a park in Bellingham than in Seattle. :)

I understand what you mean about the smell of pot and cig smoke. I quit smoking cigs about 6 years ago and *hate* the smell of them now.

Hahaha. You are so right. :)

It's still so beautiful here though. I learned to love hiking here, but so did the vagrants apparantly.

I swear the mayor of Bellingham's platform must have been - "A Fake Disabled Veteran on Every Corner".

Joe
08-23-2005, 08:37 PM

Are you a pothead, focker?

B & B
08-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Schmidty, youre one wierd individual.

You like patchouli, but the smell of burning leaves, (tobacco or hemp) is despised???
Instead of "reeking up" Seattle, what is a better place?
San Francisco? Boise? Des Moines? Lexington? Or maybe just anyplace that isnt a public park close to you.

Id rather be inbetween someone toking a big Bob Marley joint and another guy chain smoking Marlboro reds than anyone who cant/refuses to bathe and put on deodorant.
But hey, thats me.

Shkspr
08-23-2005, 11:13 PM
it's the same way over here

Well, yes, but you're from Stonington. Next thing you know people will be toking up in Bakersfield and passing the bowl in Wastedville.

Schmidty
08-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Bob Marley joint and another guy chain smoking Marlboro reds than anyone who cant/refuses to bathe and put on deodorant.
But hey, thats me.

You just described two reoccurring nightmares of mine. Thanks :)

JeeberD
08-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Well, yes, but you're from Stonington. Next thing you know people will be toking up in Bakersfield and passing the bowl in Wastedville.

Damn you, you stole my joke!

rkmsuf
08-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Are you a pothead, focker?

Would you like to milk me greg?

vtbub
08-24-2005, 09:26 AM
UVM #2 weed school in the count.....That a bag of Doritos?