PDA

View Full Version : How is this for bad luck..

MacroGuru
08-23-2005, 04:56 PM
So...Our local sports talk radio station has/had a contest running for a set group of their listeners to be selected to participate with the Utah Blaze (New AFL team) and their tryouts.

Basically, the one listener who qualifies for the team, will be signed to a 2 day contract with participation in one league game.

You would have a Blaze jersey, with your name, pictures with Danny White and the team. As well as getting your ass kicked professionally.

All you had to do was write a brief essay on why you felt you deserve the chance.

I get a phone call today, they have selected me to participate, I am ecstatic, then they break the news that it is Friday @ 3:30 pm.

The issue.....our 3rd child is to be born on Thursday at 7:30 am. Leaving the wife and baby in the hospital at this time. Now when I went and celebrated the birth of my son with my friends at a dinner, she has yet to let me live that down, and it has been 5 years.

So I had to politely decline, meanwhile on the inside....I am hurting, I have been busting butt to drop more weight for the new season of football with the Wolverines, and who knows, it could have been the one in a million chance I had to try and make it somewhere professionally. Oh well, back to my Bundy life.....

Lathum
08-23-2005, 05:05 PM
wow, would you have had to miss the actual birth?

MacroGuru
08-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Nope, not miss..it was the day after the actual birth, but she wouldn't have let me live it down if I went.

Lathum
08-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Nope, not miss..it was the day after the actual birth, but she wouldn't have let me live it down if I went.
really? even though it is fulfilling a dream of yours? seems pretty harsh

JonInMiddleGA
08-23-2005, 05:18 PM
I'm with Lathum.

Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
08-23-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm with Lathum and JIMGA. This is a once in a lifetime chance.

It's not as if you're going to be needed while your wife and new baby are in the hospital, they'll have plenty of help. (congrats BTW :D )

JeeberD
08-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Did you at least run it by her first?

MacroGuru
08-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Well....let me rephrase the not let me live it down.

1) She has said go, she knows it's my dream.

HOWEVER,

I know my wife, and she would be disappointed if I was not there for her. As for me, I am 30 years old, I have played HS, JUCO, and now Semi-Pro Ball, she has been with me through thick and thin and has supported me in EVERYTHING I do.

For this, I am willing to set my dreams aside, and show her, I support her, in EVERYTHING she does. I need to be there for her more now, than anything else.

Sorry if I painted her in a negative light.

illinifan999
08-23-2005, 05:50 PM
This thread nothing no pictures.

Elvis
08-23-2005, 05:50 PM
I think you made the right decision. However, I think you're wife probably would have been cool with it.

Honolulu_Blue
08-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Since you are the Official Personal Trainer of Honolulu_Blue(tm), it would have been nice to tell people that my official personal trainer was an arena football player. This would impress people to no end. However, I think people will be equally impressed when I tell them that the Official Personal Trainer of Honolulu_Blue(tm) could have played arena ball, but missed out on his chance because of the birth of his second child. This too will impress people to no end. It's a win-win.

MacroGuru
08-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Since you are the Official Personal Trainer of Honolulu_Blue(tm), it would have been nice to tell people that my official personal trainer was an arena football player. This would impress people to no end. However, I think people will be equally impressed when I tell them that the Official Personal Trainer of Honolulu_Blue(tm) could have played arena ball, but missed out on his chance because of the birth of his second child. This too will impress people to no end. It's a win-win.
Thanks for the laugh....I needed it.....also, this is our 3rd child, but a 5 year difference between my son and this one.

terpkristin
08-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Well, I agree the timing is unfortunate.

But, in either event, good luck on Thursday with the induction! We'll expect baby pictures. :)

/tk