PDA

View Full Version : Google Talk is ACTIVE!

ISiddiqui
08-23-2005, 10:45 PM
(Note, blatent stealing of post from another forum)

http://talk.google.com (http://talk.google.com/) <- quick download and worth it

Reviews/screenshots are online.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2005/0...ge-talk-review/ (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2005/08/23/googe-talk-review/)

<table style="border: 1px dotted rgb(0, 0, 128); background-color: rgb(226, 226, 226);" align="center" width="80%"><tbody><tr><td>quote:
Google Talk, Google's long-expected entry into the IM and VoIP market, has arrived. As predicted, Google Talk is a full-fledged IM client based on the open Jabber protocol with VoIP thrown in for good measure.

Here's a quick run-down of what Google Talk has to offer: Basic IM capabilities, high-quality and easy to use VoIP, complete integration with Gmail, and a simple, ads-free interface. Read on for our preliminary review and a glimpse into Google Talk's future.

The download is tiny (about 900k) and the install is so quick and easy you don't even realize it's finished yet. You sign in with your Gmail account and are immediately presented with your (momentarily empty) buddy list. There's an Add Friend button, a "Search all contacts" field which searches both your Google Talk and Gmail contacts, and a drop-down under your name that lets you set your available/unavailable status and messages. There's also an Inbox button which takes you to Gmail, plus Help and Settings.
Google Talk: IM window

Clicking on a friend in your buddy list will open an IM window for that person, and clicking on the phone icon to the right of their name will start a voice session. The buddy list allows you to rename contacts and tweak other settings, like whether Gmail-only contacts are shown. When you have multiple IM windows open, they show up in a neat sliding interface which you can dock to the buddy list, "roll up," or tear away. The whole affair is the picture of simplicity and intuitiveness we've come to expect of Google, and is downright attractive to boot.
Google Talk: settings

According to our friends at Google, there's a lot in store for Google Talk. Google is keenly interested in keeping the protocol open, and in fact you can access Google Talk's servers with any Jabber-compatible client like Trillian, Gaim, Adium X, and iChat. (If you have one of these, I'm told you can connect using server talk.google.com and port 5222.) Google tells us that SIP support is coming soon and are in talks with Skype, AOL, and Yahoo! concerning interoperability.

Another big feature they're working on is "joint search," which would allow two or more Google Talk buddies using Google and surfing the web together. This would be a natural segue to the fabled Google Browser, but there is as yet no confirmation from Google.

Google also tells us that they don't yet have solid plans on making money with the service, but plan on using it to drive users to Gmail.</td></tr></tbody></table>

http://www.downloadsquad.com/images/2005/08/google_talk_01.png
http://www.downloadsquad.com/images/2005/08/google_talk_03.png
http://www.downloadsquad.com/images/2005/08/google_talk_053.png

korme
08-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Google is going to takeover the world.

ISiddiqui
08-23-2005, 10:52 PM
btw, if you want to talk to me, my email is [email protected]. Just type it into the Contact Search and follow the directions. Don't worry, I'll accept your invitation... maybe ;).

ThunderingHERD
08-23-2005, 10:59 PM
Maybe I'm just drunk, but how come when I click on download on this page: http://www.google.com/talk/start.html it takes me to this page: http://www.cerberusweb.com/ ??

Calis
08-23-2005, 11:00 PM
I was sitting here thinking, what we're really lacking is another IM client.

Glad to see they came through for me.

korme
08-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Me and Isiddiqui are chatting, someone join us-

[email protected]

cartman
08-23-2005, 11:09 PM
[email protected]

JeffNights
08-23-2005, 11:10 PM
AOL RULES!

ThunderingHERD
08-23-2005, 11:12 PM
[email protected]

cartman
08-23-2005, 11:16 PM
now they just have to tie this in with Google Maps or Google Earth, and the Illuminati will have all they need to enslave us and create the true New World Order.

ISiddiqui
08-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Time for bed, but I want to see some new invitations tomorrow evening when I sign on again ;).

Anthony
08-23-2005, 11:18 PM
[email protected]

ISiddiqui
08-23-2005, 11:20 PM
From the article I linked to:

in fact you can access Google Talk's servers with any Jabber-compatible client like Trillian, Gaim, Adium X, and iChat. (If you have one of these, I'm told you can connect using server talk.google.com and port 5222.
So it doesn't matter if you use Trillian... though the Google Talk is very sweet... feels very light and has some cool features (like linking up talk windows so it only takes one spot on your taskbar).

ISiddiqui
08-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Btw, I really have to sleep, but I leave you with some helpful hints:

You can do bold by typing *blah*

Example: *FOFC*

Italics are _blah_

Example: _FOFC_

korme
08-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Hell Atlantic: i'm fondling my genitals with my left hand, typing with my right

aran
08-23-2005, 11:35 PM
IS: i just invited you... i'm [email protected]

Anthony
08-23-2005, 11:38 PM
"If you have one of these, I'm told you can connect using server talk.google.com and port 5222"

anyone know exactly where to connect to talk.google using Trillian? i can't see where, and i'd prefer using Trillian to use google talk.

korme
08-23-2005, 11:39 PM
post everything you learn here

korme
08-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Tab allows you to scroll through IMs and buddylist

MikeVic
08-23-2005, 11:43 PM
[email protected]

Simms
08-23-2005, 11:46 PM
[email protected]

Pumpy Tudors
08-24-2005, 12:04 AM
"If you have one of these, I'm told you can connect using server talk.google.com and port 5222"

anyone know exactly where to connect to talk.google using Trillian? i can't see where, and i'd prefer using Trillian to use google talk.
Jabber is apparently only supported in Trillian Pro.

dervack
08-24-2005, 12:24 AM
O'Doyle RULES!

Fixed

ISiddiqui
08-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Jabber is apparently only supported in Trillian Pro.
Stupid pay-for-IM! That does suck.

jeff061
08-24-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm perfectly happy with Trillian. I have the pro version, and yes, I actually paid for it. I did use a "work around" for a year first. It's just a great utility. RSS tracker, weather, mail, IRC chat, im, system monitoring and nice logging features.

cartman
08-24-2005, 08:33 AM
I'm perfectly happy with Trillian. I have the pro version, and yes, I actually paid for it. I did use a "work around" for a year first. It's just a great utility. RSS tracker, weather, mail, IRC chat, im, system monitoring and nice logging features.

I like Trillian as well, and I also use the Pro version. The only drawback is that they use a non-standard port at startup, so when I am in one of the offices, the firewall blocks me using Trillian.

terpkristin
08-24-2005, 01:28 PM
[email protected]

And this now makes it official that I'm switching to GAIM so I can have one client open to talk with all of my IM's.

/tk

KWhit
08-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Help me understand why it's a good thing to have another one of these. Aren't 3+ competing standards enough? Trillian helps the situation, but it's pretty silly to have to have 4 accounts so that you can IM everybody.

jeff061
08-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Voice communication is the only reason I see. Other than that I agree.

Pumpy Tudors
08-24-2005, 01:33 PM
When I want voice communication, I use the telephone, but I'm silly that way.

jeff061
08-24-2005, 01:35 PM
I tend to agree. But I still don't get the idea behind text messaging on a cell phone.

Anthony
08-24-2005, 02:02 PM
i'd die without text messaging on my cell phone. i like to get in and get out in a conversation, i don't need to know how your day is going, how your family is or what you did last nite. just need information or to let you know what i need to let you know. and i absolutely hate voice mail.

chinaski
08-24-2005, 02:37 PM
If you use Gaim, heres how to set it up for google talk. (its just a jabber server)
Protocol: Jabber
Screen name: Gmail account name
Server: gmail.com
Resource: Gaim
Password: gmail password
+ Show More Options...
Check Use TSL is Available
Connect Server: gmail.google.com

I imagine this will work on Trillian just the same.

terpkristin
08-24-2005, 05:59 PM
How to configure TrillianPro for GTalk:

Open Trillian Pro.
Click 'Trillian' along the top, highlight 'Connections,' and select 'Manage my Connections...'
Select 'Identities & Connections' along the left side, and highlight 'JABBER.' (tk's note: if you don't see Jabber as an option, go to your preferences menu, select "Plugins," and make sure there is a checkmark next to Jabber--i.e. put one there if it ain't ;))
Click 'Add a new connection...'
Enter your full Gmail email address (including '@gmail.com) in the field beneath 'Please enter your Jabber ID (JID) below.'
Enter your Gmail password in the field beneath 'Please enter your password.'
Click 'Change...' (tk's note: next to the "connect" button)
Enter the following information in the appropriate fields:

Server Host: talk.google.com
Server Port: 5222

Leave the box next to 'Use legacy SSL for connection' unchecked.
Check the box next to 'Attempt to reconnect when connection is lost.'
Click 'Save Settings.'
/tk

MJ4H
08-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Im online using Miranda.

Here's a link to show how to configure the jabber plugin to connect to google talk in miranda im (why more people dont use miranda, ill never know--it is EXACTLY what i need, small, fast, connects to anything and everything, free, open source).

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/6938/mirandagooglejabber3wt.png

MJ4H
08-24-2005, 06:18 PM
BTW

pwatts14 is my gmail ID

Easy Mac
08-24-2005, 09:23 PM
easymacfu

Draft Dodger
08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
draftdodger

but I'm not sure if I'm going to use this or not. I think I prefer Trillian

PackerFanatic
08-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Ooooh thanks for the info on setting up Trillian for GTalk. I will have to do that!

if anyone wants to talk to me, my g-mail is [email protected] :)

Hurst2112
08-26-2005, 12:46 PM
daryllhurst is my gmail user name.