PDA

View Full Version : Doctor said a bad word, faces loss of license

JonInMiddleGA
08-24-2005, 10:44 AM
NH doctor in trouble with state because he told woman she needed to lose weight

Published on: 08/24/05

ROCHESTER, N.H. — As doctors warn more patients that they should lose weight, the advice has backfired on one doctor with a woman filing a complaint with the state saying he was hurtful, not helpful.

Dr. Terry Bennett says he tells obese patients their weight is bad for their health and their love lives, but the lecture drove one patient to complain to the state.

"I told a fat woman she was obese," Bennett says. "I tried to get her attention. I told her, 'You need to get on a program, join a group of like-minded people and peel off the weight that is going to kill you.' "

He says he wrote a letter of apology to the woman when he found out she was offended.

Her complaint, filed about a year ago, was initially investigated by a panel of the New Hampshire Board of Medicine, which recommended that Bennett be sent a confidential letter of concern. The board rejected the suggestion in December and asked the attorney general's office to investigate.

Bennett rejected that office's proposal that he attend a medical education course and acknowledge that he made a mistake.

Bruce Friedman, chairman of the board of medicine, said he could not discuss specific complaints. Assistant Attorney General Catherine Bernhard, who conducted the investigation, also would not comment, citing state law that complaints are confidential until the board takes disciplinary action.

The board's Web site says disciplinary sanctions may range from a reprimand to the revocation of all rights to practice in the state.

"Physicians have to be professional with patients and remember everyone is an individual. You should not be inflammatory or degrading to anyone," said board member Kevin Costin.

Other overweight patients have come to Bennett's defense.

"What really makes me angry is he told the truth," Mindy Haney told WMUR-TV on Tuesday. "How can you punish somebody for that?"

Haney said Bennett has helped her lose more than 150 pounds, but acknowledged that the initially didn't want to listen.

"I have been in this lady's shoes. I've been angry and left his practice. I mean, in-my-car-taking-off angry," Haney said. "But once you think about it, you're angry at yourself, not Doctor Bennett. He's the messenger. He's telling you what you already know."

Kodos
08-24-2005, 10:46 AM
She was probably ugly too. I hope he didn't mention that.

Eaglesfan27
08-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Wow. Just wow.

I'm obese, but as a doctor and psychiatrist, I frequently counsel my patients about the negative effects of being obese on both their psychological and physical health. I do it sensitively, but I do it. I realize that my own weight may lessen the effectiveness of my message. However, I've never had a patient complain about my telling them that they are overweight and need to lose weight. I really wonder the context of his message and how he delivered it.

Draft Dodger
08-24-2005, 10:49 AM
WTF is WRONG with this fucking world?

JeeberD
08-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Fucking ridiculous... :mad:

Kodos
08-24-2005, 10:54 AM
"Lose weight, you friggin' cow!"

cartman
Next she'll probably sue the junk food industry for making her gain the weight. It's never your fault.

Neon_Chaos
Fat people should die!

Oh wait. I'm fat. :(

stevew
08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
"in-my-car-taking-off angry"

Now that is freaking angry.

cartman
08-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Kodos
08-24-2005, 10:58 AM
And "The Nile" isn't just an emotional state.

Oh wait, yes it is. "My bad."

Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
08-24-2005, 11:03 AM
If she died due to obesity related diseases, her family would be suing the doctor for failing to warn her of the risks. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I hope he recommended she consult a shrink. Clearly this woman has issues.

Bee
08-24-2005, 11:04 AM
I really wonder the context of his message and how he delivered it.

That's what I'm wondering as well. I hate stories that don't give enough information.

rkmsuf
08-24-2005, 11:05 AM
he should have had sex with her

Solecismic
08-24-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't care if he told her using a Triumph the Insult Dog hand puppet, it's nothing to threaten his license with. If she felt insulted, she should have switched doctors.

Maybe she could find one that gives away free potato chips in the reception area while you're waiting for your appointment.

lurker
08-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Am I missing the bad word? It's not obese, is it? I thought that's just the word for someone who's 20% overweight.

rkmsuf
08-24-2005, 11:11 AM
he said mean, awful things and then she fell down the stairs and her shoes fell off

Eaglesfan27
08-24-2005, 11:12 AM
I don't care if he told her using a Triumph the Insult Dog hand puppet.
Hmm, that might be a good new technique :D

Mustang
08-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Its amazing that we can tell people not to smoke, drink, run with scissors, look both ways before crossing, don't shoot up heroin, don't stick things in electrical outlets and use a condom all in the name of making sure someone doesn't harm themselves but, tell someone to lose weight because it is unhealthy for their long term health and BY GOD.. HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY FATTOGY BODY!

sovereignstar
08-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Run a few laps, fat ass.

Bee
08-24-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't care if he told her using a Triumph the Insult Dog hand puppet, it's nothing to threaten his license with. If she felt insulted, she should have switched doctors.

Maybe she could find one that gives away free potato chips in the reception area while you're waiting for your appointment.

I don't see the guy losing his license, but depending on how offensive he was in dealing with his patient I can see the board wanting him to take a class in bedside manners or something similar. When you're sanctioned by a board, it covers more than just the ability to do the job. There's a certain level of professionalism that they require you to maintain. Without more information, it's hard to tell if he crossed the line or not but it sounds like he might have at least approached it considering the recommendations by both the board appointed panel and the attorney's general office.

Lathum
08-24-2005, 11:32 AM
All this does is set a precident that is going to make other doctors wary of advising their patients to lose weight.

timmynausea
08-24-2005, 11:57 AM
If he would've done it sarcastically, thus not using the word obese, he could've gotten away with it. Plus it actually would've offended her more.

Dutch
08-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Worst.Lawsuit.Ever

CamEdwards
08-24-2005, 12:11 PM

You're just the right size... for me to POOP ON!!!

Subby
08-24-2005, 12:25 PM
"Hey Kodos"

Kodos
08-24-2005, 12:43 PM
"'Hey Subby.'"

Subby
08-24-2005, 12:44 PM
"What's shakin'?"

Kodos
08-24-2005, 12:49 PM
"How's it hangin'?"

rkmsuf
08-24-2005, 12:55 PM
"You two should get a room."

Lonnie
08-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Dr. House would be proud.

sabotai
08-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Am I missing the bad word? It's not obese, is it? I thought that's just the word for someone who's 20% overweight.
That's what I was wondering. I must have missed the news report that said using the word "obese" is no longer acceptable.

Bee
08-24-2005, 02:00 PM
That's the thing...no where does it actually say what he said to her other than the one line about "...peeling off the weight...". Did he just say "You're obese" or did he say something completely out of line? He said he tried to get her attention, but how did he do that? Everyone here seems to be assuming all he did was call her fat or obese and tell her to lose weight. Since the article doesn't actually go into any details that's just a assumption, but considering the medical board had a panel look into it and wanted to send a warning and the attorney's general office wanted him to take a medical education course and acknowledge he made a mistake tends to lend credence to her opinion that he was unprofessional. Of course, that doesn't get headlines...so the media just tells enough of the information to get the general public up in arms. But then again, that's just a guess as well, so maybe the media isn't trying to sensationalize a non-story on a slow news day and all he did was call her fat...making her, the medical board and the attorney general's office idiots.

Critch
08-24-2005, 02:06 PM
The vet told me my kitty was "tubby". She actually used the word "tubby".

Can I sue?

aran
08-24-2005, 02:29 PM
The vet told me my kitty was "tubby". She actually used the word "tubby".

Can I sue?

Yup. Just feed your pet some crack or some other drug and bring him in front of the court to show that he/she's been emotionally traumatized by the name-calling.

tucker342
08-24-2005, 02:33 PM
If he said something like "lose some weight you fat fuck!!!" than I could see how she might feel insulted.:)

duckman
08-24-2005, 02:34 PM
"Why are you smiling? You got a candy bar in your pocket?"

HomerJSimpson
08-24-2005, 02:36 PM
I don't see the guy losing his license, but depending on how offensive he was in dealing with his patient I can see the board wanting him to take a class in bedside manners or something similar. When you're sanctioned by a board, it covers more than just the ability to do the job. There's a certain level of professionalism that they require you to maintain. Without more information, it's hard to tell if he crossed the line or not but it sounds like he might have at least approached it considering the recommendations by both the board appointed panel and the attorney's general office.

I agree. There is more to this story than we have here, and whoever wrote this article is feeding the sensationalist slant.

ice4277
08-24-2005, 02:37 PM
People need to realize that sometimes the truth hurts. Its like the airlines charging very overweight people two tickets. Everybody complains how unfair it is, discrimination, etc. Well, the last time I flew, I had some fat guy sitting next to me basically falling into my seat. As if you already don't have enough room on a plane. How the hell is that fair to me?

sterlingice
08-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what he said that was wrong. It's not for obese, I'd assume- maybe he called her fatass or something. Still, not a reason to lose a license. Just a reason for her not going to him from now on.

Yes, but he'd find an even wittier way to say it.

SI

illinifan999
08-24-2005, 03:02 PM
My teacher today...she...she...she...said I was white. :(

JonInMiddleGA
08-24-2005, 03:04 PM
I told her, 'You need to get on a program, join a group of like-minded people and peel off the weight that is going to kill you.' "

Given the state of the world today, I really believe this will boil down to something as simple as the doctor described in the article.

Raiders Army
08-24-2005, 03:24 PM
But if she loses weight, her breastses will get smaller. Would someone please think of the breastses!?!

BigJohn&TheLions
08-24-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm gonna sue the next cop who gives me a summons for public intoxication. It hurts my feelings to have my drinking problem brought to light, and then having to go stand in front of a judge is publicly embarassing...

kingfc22
08-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Maybe he told her she ws fat after she broke his scale. He should sue her for that.

Eaglesfan27
08-24-2005, 04:36 PM
He's my secret hero.

cody8200
08-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Ugggh. Dumbass lawsuits are ruining the good name of law. ;)

stevew
08-24-2005, 04:51 PM
People need to realize that sometimes the truth hurts. Its like the airlines charging very overweight people two tickets. Everybody complains how unfair it is, discrimination, etc. Well, the last time I flew, I had some fat guy sitting next to me basically falling into my seat. As if you already don't have enough room on a plane. How the hell is that fair to me?
Man, i remember a similar experience on the bus. I see this dude walking up the aisle who would make Jerry Ball look like a midget. The bus is full, nobody is sitting beside other people. Inside my head, i start the "please dont sit beside me" chant. Of course he does, and i get pressed up against the window, thankfully he gets off the bus in a few stops. I cant imagine a plane ride, as you cant just get off the plane early.

John Galt
08-24-2005, 05:00 PM
He's my secret hero.

I would think he would be almost every GP or clinic doctor's secret hero. The way he lays into patients during the clinic visits is always fun (and often better than the rest of the show).

Raven
08-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Maybe the reason she is so upset is because she came to the doctor's office for something other than her weight. Then the Doc took it upon himself to bring up her obesity. I could see that offending her.

Eaglesfan27
08-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Maybe the reason she is so upset is because she came to the doctor's office for something other than her weight. Then the Doc took it upon himself to bring up her obesity. I could see that offending her.
I would argue that most areas of medicine (maybe all) have a responsibility to the entire patient, and not just the specific problem that brought them in. Now, if someone was very distraught about a possible dangerous situation, I could understand deferring that discussion. However, if a doctor continued to ignore that issue or any other serious health risk, they would be putting themselves at risk for being charged with malpractice. Not to mention the moral obligation.

JonInMiddleGA
08-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Maybe the reason she is so upset is because she came to the doctor's office for something other than her weight. Then the Doc took it upon himself to bring up her obesity.

Still, I think even that scenario goes back to a "change doctors" answer, not something that belongs in front of a review board of any sort. That's not a medical issue you're describing, it's a consumer choice issue.

She also should bear a certain responsibility for heading the conversation off at the pass, or failing that, get up & walk out. I seeing that as something similar to the anti-smoking lectures/rants that doctors have a tendency to do. That's not why I'm at a doctor & when they start, I tell them so in very straightforward terms ("I know you feel like you have to do this, but please accept my word that I've heard it all before & that a repeat will accomplish absolutely nothing beyond wasting your time & annoying me, the patient/customer"). I've never had a doctor go beyond that point on the subject, and I've never had one be anything worse than briefly confused by it. Heck, I've never seen the slightest sign that it angered/upset/irritated them, and have even gotten a few chuckles out of it.