PDA

View Full Version : Quest for a Job

Pumpy Tudors
08-25-2005, 01:06 AM
No, this isn't going to be a dynasty, so it's not going into the dynasty forum. I'm just in the middle of a mildly interesting experience, and I want to share.

For those who don't know, I moved from New Orleans to Greensburg, PA, a few weeks ago. I moved because my wife earned a position at a local university as an assistant professor. Since I was really eager to find a job here in Greensburg, I decided to visit a staffing service yesterday. A similar service got me my last job which lasted for 5 years, and I ended up being one of the most valuable people at that place. I figured that I could try this route again and see if I could find something that'd bring in cash until my wife gets her first paycheck next month. I went to the staffing agency, did their typing/computer tests, and expected them to send me home to wait by the phone. Instead, they were so impressed by my scores that they want me in their office. I had gone to one of their branches, and they ended up sending my scores and resume to the main office about 20 miles away. The owner of the agency called me this morning to ask me to come in and interview tomorrow. She said that they don't have any official job openings, but they want to create a position for me because they really want me in their office.

Honestly, I don't really know what the big deal is. I'm sure at least half the people on this board could've gotten damn near perfect scores on the tests, and there's got to be someone else who can type 127 words per minute. Anyway, I have to wake up in 6 hours to go to an interview for a job that doesn't even exist yet. I knew that Pennsylvania was be a bit of an adventure for me, but this seems a little bizarre. Hey, as long as they pay me anything halfway decent, I'll take it. I've just never had a job created for me before.

Fouts
08-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Sounds great, and 127 wpm is no slouch. That's about twice my speed, but thats not my line of work. Good luck.

Antmeister
08-25-2005, 02:16 AM
Congratulations Pumpy, just roll with it for now and see where it takes you. And 127 words per minute is not an average typing speed. Sounds like the move is going to turn out pretty good for you. I hope the same goes for me when I move to Austin in the near future, but we shall we. But anyways, you will probably do better than you had imagined.