PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: Men Rule, Chicks Drool

rkmsuf
08-26-2005, 11:18 AM
August 25, 2005

The Times

Is this a clever thing to say about women's IQ?
By Tony Halpin, Education Editor

HALF the population will dismiss this story, but a study claims that the cleverest people are much more likely to be men than women.
Men are more intelligent than women by about five IQ points on average, making them better suited for “tasks of high complexity”, according to the authors of a paper due to be published in the British Journal of Psychology.

Genetic differences in intelligence between the sexes helped to explain why many more men than women won Nobel Prizes or became chess grandmasters, the study by Paul Irwing and Professor Richard Lynn concluded.

They showed that men outnumbered women in increasing numbers as intelligence levels rise. There were twice as many with IQ scores of 125, a level typical for people with first-class degrees.

When scores rose to 155, a level associated with genius, there were 5.5 men for every woman.

Dr Irwing, a senior lecturer in organisational psychology at Manchester University, said that he was uncomfortable with the findings. But he added that the evidence was clear despite the insistence of many academics that there were “no meaningful sex differences” in levels of intelligence.

“For personal reasons I would like to believe that men and women are equal, and broadly that’s true. But over a period of time the evidence in favour of biological factors has become stronger and stronger,” he said.

“I have been dragged in a direction that I don’t particularly like, but it would be sensible if the debate was based on what we pretty much know to be the case.”

The findings from the study involving 24,000 students will intensify a battle of the sexes that was triggered last week by Michael Buerk, the BBC newscaster, who complained that “life is now being lived according to women’s rules”. He said that men had been reduced to little more than sperm-donors because of the female domin- ance of society.

Professor Lynn, a Professor Emeritus of Psychology at the University of Ulster, is no stranger to inflammatory conclusions as the author of a number of publications arguing that there are differences in intelligence between racial groups.

He published a controversial study in 2003 that identified a clear correlation between the levels of prosperity in 60 countries and the average IQ of their populations.

Professor Lynn argued in a letter to The Psychologist this month that the differences between the sexes were explained by a link between IQ and brain size. He said: “Men have larger brains than women by about 10 per cent and larger brains confer greater brain power, so men must necessarily be on average more intelligent than women.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1749346,00.html

Hurst2112
08-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Well, DUH!

;)

Elvis
08-26-2005, 12:31 PM
My wife is much smarter than I am.

After all, she married me. :D

Kodos
08-26-2005, 12:31 PM
We're better looking too. That's why we don't require makeup. :)

Raiders Army
08-26-2005, 12:33 PM
My wife is much luckier than I am.

After all, she married me. :D
Fixed it for ya.

Wolfpack
08-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Somehow I think this'll be small comfort to Harvard president Larry Summers.

sabotai
08-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Men are more intelligent than women by about five IQ points on average, making them better suited for “tasks of high complexity”, according to the authors of a paper due to be published in the British Journal of Psychology.
It's only fair since they live longer.

Raiders Army
08-26-2005, 02:27 PM
It's only fair since they live longer.
Which defeats Darwin's law of survival of the fittest.

Kodos
08-26-2005, 02:31 PM
The women are probably having trouble finding and clicking on this thread. :D

jeff061
08-26-2005, 02:33 PM
From this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4183166.stm

The paper will argue that there is evidence that at the same level of IQ, women are able to achieve more than men "possibly because they are more conscientious and better adapted to sustained periods of hard work".

I'd add more to this discussion, but I'm not up for it.

rkmsuf
08-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Men win.

Raiders Army
08-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Not only are we physically stronger and can pee standing up, but we are also more intelligent!