PDA

View Full Version : FOFC PokerStars Colossal Squid tourney, #30 (8/28/2005)

cartman
08-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Hello all,

After a delay, the next edition of the FOFC PokerStars Colossal Squid Tourney is ready for action. Here's the info:

Tourney #11774116
FOFC Colossal Squid #30
NLHE $10+$1
Sunday, August 28th, 9:00pm Eastern
Password: endofsummer

Not sure if or what I will offer as a bounty. Anyone else is more than welcome to offer a bounty of their own.

JeeberD
08-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Must work, dammit...

Maple Leafs
08-27-2005, 12:08 PM
I will offer the following bounty: If you and I are the final two players, and you let me win, I will pay a bounty of $1.

Barkeep49
08-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Ok I'm going to offer an ongoing bounty until it gets claimed (call it the unfortunate loser bounty):

I will give $5.50, half the buy-in price, to a person who is first out AND was more than a 2/3 favorite to win the hand at any point of the hand (pre-flop, flop, or turn) prior to players having put their money in. Must be at least a 9 person tourney as well.

If someone wants to hear the bad beat story behind this bounty I will be happy to explain, but otherwise here's a chance for someone else to claim some money from a bad beat.

kingnebwsu
08-28-2005, 12:37 AM
I'm working again...argh. I'll see if I can take off the next one on Sept. 11. It is bi-weekly, right? :)

cartman
08-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Ok, I've decided on the bounty. It will be the cartman bounty once again. Here are the rules:

1. At least 9 people are entered
2. You knock me out before we reach the final 3
3. If you finish in the money, I pay the bounty. $10 for 3rd, $15 for 2nd, and $25 for 1st.

MJ4H
08-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Want to play very badly, but have to stay at the hospital with my son tonight (they dont have any internet access, unfortunately). Sorry.

cartman
08-28-2005, 07:06 PM
a little less than one hour to go bump...

McSweeny
08-28-2005, 07:07 PM
i'll be in this week

lytic
08-28-2005, 07:14 PM
take my money... please.

Subby
08-28-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm in...

Barkeep49
08-28-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm in...
If someone has to bust me I hope it's the semi-retarded frat boy.

Balldog
08-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Me in.

Lathum
08-28-2005, 07:42 PM
In. i am playing with Saldana's account because i closed mine. He is down here in TX. helping me move.

Cartman, we'll arange the paypal transfer

Lathum
08-28-2005, 07:43 PM
dola

thaanks btw :)

lytic
08-28-2005, 07:57 PM
So I've never done online hold em before... Do you just sit with the window open after you register and it takes you to the table?

Barkeep49
08-28-2005, 07:58 PM
So I've never done online hold em before... Do you just sit with the window open after you register and it takes you to the table?
Yes. If you are logged in to Pokerstars it will automatically take you to the table (which should happen any moment now).

cartman
08-28-2005, 07:59 PM
The tables should be up now.

McSweeny
08-28-2005, 08:34 PM
well that was terrible. not quite as bad as the time i busted in the third had or whatever, but still pretty poor.

enjoy my ten bucks you jerks! :)

lytic
08-28-2005, 09:02 PM
That was fun!

Balldog
08-28-2005, 09:09 PM
I suck.

Subby
08-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Lathum rules KJ beats TT to win..

Lathum
08-28-2005, 10:09 PM
gg all, is anyone still keeping track of the standings?

Barkeep49
08-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Well that was fun. I was generally happy with my play despite being the underdog and winning several times giving me a higher finish that I probably deserved. I continue to be dead money but I think I am no longer stone cold dead.

Lathum
08-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Well that was fun. I was generally happy with my play despite being the underdog and winning several times giving me a higher finish that I probably deserved. I continue to be dead money but I think I am no longer stone cold dead.
I though you played well. The only flaw that I saw was you would raise pre flop, get called, then check. All that does is give your oppenent a chance to take the pot from you with a bet.

kcchief19
08-28-2005, 10:32 PM
I though you played well. The only flaw that I saw was you would raise pre flop, get called, then check. All that does is give your oppenent a chance to take the pot from you with a bet. Barkeep isn't alone. This is something I still get myself into trouble with, particularly playing strong pre-flop hands that miss the flop after I raise 3-4 BB early in a tournament. For instance, I have AKs and the flop is a rainbow 744. I'm still too hesitant to bet out of position with nothing. I tend to get passive in those situations because I don't want to risk a 1/4 of my stack to a guy who called with K4 preflop. Raising with a marginal or even above average hand out of position can put you at a disadvantage when you miss the flop. I think playing out of position and my complete and total lack of ability to play low and middle pocket pairs are the weakest parts of my game.

Sorry I missed tonight. Hopefully I'll get back on the wagon soon.

McSweeny
08-28-2005, 10:36 PM
that sounds a lot like the problems i have. when i get burned on a decent sized preflop raise i'll start playing too passive preflop and get burned on strong hands that i should be raising and chasing people out with

Barkeep49
08-28-2005, 10:54 PM
I though you played well. The only flaw that I saw was you would raise pre flop, get called, then check. All that does is give your oppenent a chance to take the pot from you with a bet.
Thanks for the kind words and the analysis. I've been working on my post flop play and am good at betting when I have over cards on a ragged board, or straight possibliites, but will continue to work on this aspect of my play.

sabotai
08-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Barkeep isn't alone. This is something I still get myself into trouble with, particularly playing strong pre-flop hands that miss the flop after I raise 3-4 BB early in a tournament. For instance, I have AKs and the flop is a rainbow 744. I'm still too hesitant to bet out of position with nothing.
Checking after a flop when you raised pre flop just SCREAMS "nothing hit for me and i'm scared". Whenever this happens to me, somone raises preflop and then they check, I know they didn't hit it and I bet. Regardless of what I have, I bet and 9 times out of 10, they fold and I take a small pot with nothing (most likely a far worse hand than the one that folded to me).

Barkeep49
08-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Checking after a flop when you raised pre flop just SCREAMS "nothing hit for me and i'm scared". Whenever this happens to me, somone raises preflop and then they check, I know they didn't hit it and I bet. Regardless of what I have, I bet and 9 times out of 10, they fold and I take a small pot with nothing (most likely a far worse hand than the one that folded to me).
Ok so let's say you have a midpair, in this case let's say 77. On a flop of A K 9 (rainbow) with three callers to your raise do you still bet out? What if there were only two over cards?

The other kind of hand that I have trouble with is where it is folded around to me and I'm one off the button, I have something like K10 suited, and you then get called by the button and one of the blinds. If I put in a raise and a board like A 8 3 comes with no (or one) suit do you still bet out?

Lathum
08-28-2005, 11:22 PM
I always like betting after the flop. Once you get good at reading your opponents it lets you know where you are at in the hand.

Barkeep49
08-28-2005, 11:32 PM
I always like betting after the flop. Once you get good at reading your opponents it lets you know where you are at in the hand.
How much do you like to bet?

Lathum
08-28-2005, 11:35 PM
depends on the size of the pot and the blinds. Usualy 2X the big blind

kingfc22
08-29-2005, 01:11 AM
This is the one of the biggest things I picked up while reading HOH1.

Subby
08-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Just as a counter, it is fun to snap off continuation bets with a big re-raise when it's obvious the flop probably didn't help the pf raiser ;)

lytic
08-29-2005, 12:01 PM
I never bluff.

sabotai
08-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Ok so let's say you have a midpair, in this case let's say 77. On a flop of A K 9 (rainbow) with three callers to your raise do you still bet out? What if there were only two over cards? Yes on both questions.

The other kind of hand that I have trouble with is where it is folded around to me and I'm one off the button, I have something like K10 suited, and you then get called by the button and one of the blinds. If I put in a raise and a board like A 8 3 comes with no (or one) suit do you still bet out? Yes.

(Let me say that this is with ring table games or tourneys where I am still good on chips. If you start getting shortstacked, then I probably would check. IOW, bet out if you can easily afford it. If you are shortstacked, and it'll cost a lot to bet out, then don't. But then again, if you are shortstacked, you should never allow yourself to get into a 3 or 4 way hand)

Lathum
08-29-2005, 04:07 PM
Haven't seen TLK in a while. Did he quit keeping track of the stats?

cartman
08-29-2005, 04:46 PM
I never bluff.

You also never fold...

:D

Barkeep49
08-29-2005, 05:09 PM
I never bluff.
You do make quesitonable calls, I think, when you're in the BB and are facing a raise. You saw something like 70% of the flops last night which is a very high number.

kcchief19
08-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Checking after a flop when you raised pre flop just SCREAMS "nothing hit for me and i'm scared". Whenever this happens to me, somone raises preflop and then they check, I know they didn't hit it and I bet. Regardless of what I have, I bet and 9 times out of 10, they fold and I take a small pot with nothing (most likely a far worse hand than the one that folded to me). It's like you've know me all my life!:)

You know, until this was brought up I hadn't realized how bad a problem this was for me. I just played a SnG and test this theory out. I forced myself to bet out after the flop everytime I betout preflop. Twice I was re-raised all-in and walked away. In a half dozen cases I was called back. But I was surprised at my winning percentage.

I took the early chip lead and the suffered a setback when I overplayed queens with an ace on board. Once I got the chip lead back, it was like taking candy from a baby.

Lathum
08-29-2005, 09:30 PM
You also never fold...

zing............

Lathum
08-29-2005, 09:32 PM
It's like you've know me all my life!:)

You know, until this was brought up I hadn't realized how bad a problem this was for me. I just played a SnG and test this theory out. I forced myself to bet out after the flop everytime I betout preflop. Twice I was re-raised all-in and walked away. In a half dozen cases I was called back. But I was surprised at my winning percentage.

I took the early chip lead and the suffered a setback when I overplayed queens with an ace on board. Once I got the chip lead back, it was like taking candy from a baby.
it's such a cliche, but aggression usually wins

kcchief19
08-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Ok so let's say you have a midpair, in this case let's say 77. On a flop of A K 9 (rainbow) with three callers to your raise do you still bet out? What if there were only two over cards?

The other kind of hand that I have trouble with is where it is folded around to me and I'm one off the button, I have something like K10 suited, and you then get called by the button and one of the blinds. If I put in a raise and a board like A 8 3 comes with no (or one) suit do you still bet out? I make the same mistakes, Barkeep. I'm terrible at playing low and mid pocket pairs -- there's a tell for you next time we all play. :)

I need to try playing them more aggressive like sabotai says. I'll bet out 77, get called and then see three overcards and get scared because I don't want to lose 77 to some donkey who called with K2o.

For the same reason, I almost never play pocket pairs lower than fives unless I can limp and see if I can make a set. I realize that's a weakness, but it's baby steps. :)

cartman
08-29-2005, 10:34 PM
or, you can make a read that someone is trying to chase people off of the pot by making a large raise in an early position. You hold AK, and go all-in. The person calls with AT, so you made the correct read. However, a 10 comes on the flop, and no K appears on the turn or river.

I hate when that happens... :D

Maple Leafs
08-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Just curious, if you see a flop that doesn't hit you, what are the odds that it also missed your opponent with a random hand? Two opponents?

sabotai
08-29-2005, 10:43 PM
it's such a cliche, but aggression usually wins
It took me a long time to finally learn this. I always knew it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Once I did, I started winning a lot more.

Lathum
08-29-2005, 11:23 PM
or, you can make a read that someone is trying to chase people off of the pot by making a large raise in an early position. You hold AK, and go all-in. The person calls with AT, so you made the correct read. However, a 10 comes on the flop, and no K appears on the turn or river.

I hate when that happens... :D
what exactly are you talking about?

cartman
08-29-2005, 11:28 PM
what exactly are you talking about?

don't know, I'm probably just talking out of my ass...

:p

Lathum
08-29-2005, 11:55 PM
don't know, I'm probably just talking out of my ass...

:p

it seems so...

it's not like there was added incentive to call with a marginal hand... :p

lytic
09-01-2005, 04:08 AM
You do make quesitonable calls, I think, when you're in the BB and are facing a raise. You saw something like 70% of the flops last night which is a very high number.

I do have a problem laying down the BB and SB, that is a weakness of mine. I saw that % myself (cool feature BTW) and wasn't surprised, but smacked myself.

I did lose on a 3 pair on the flop to a flush from the turn and river. Can't help that.