PDA

View Full Version : OT-tech question: internet browser problem

Mo.Raider
08-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to ask a quick question about a problem I am having with my internet browser. It seems to want to automatically take me to Yahoo mail if I have a new message. If I have two or three windows up at a time they will all automatically go to Yahoo mail. Weird stuff.

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas. I am always impressed by the pool of knowledge on this board.

Mo

Ryno
08-26-2005, 11:30 PM
In IE it's usually Tools->Internet Options->Programs->E-mail

Firefox seems to use the same setting.

Mo.Raider
08-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks Ryno-

I tried that, but that just takes me to my Outlook Express settings (my primary email account). For some reason something has decided to start redirecting me to my Yahoo mail account without my permission. I have not changed any settings. It is really wierd. In fact I am typing this super fast in fear that it is going to redirect me to Yahoo mail in the middle of my post. with no warning when I bring up a browser or click on a link the new page will load as Yahoo mail.

Thanks again,

Mo

DaddyTorgo
08-26-2005, 11:47 PM
do you have yahoo messenger or something open that is checking your yahoo account? if so, check the settings on that to make sure it's not redirecting you to your mailbox.

Ryno
08-27-2005, 12:08 AM
I imagine DaddyTorgo is right with the Messenger suggestion, but I couldn't find any setting that would do that. I could make it give me an alert, but not automatically open the email. I don't have Yahoo toolbar, so I can't test that.

That is pretty strange. Maybe check your task manager to see what's running when this happens.

Mo.Raider
08-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Nope, no messenger. It is really driving me batty. If I click a link, say the link to Arles's Bowl Bound in another thread it begins to open and then quickly redirects to Yahoo. I can't find anything of any help on Yahoo.

Thanks for the help

Mo

DaddyTorgo
08-27-2005, 12:24 AM
sounds like yahoo has tossed something onto your computer that is redirecting your browser. try using a browser hijack cleaner, have you googled for this problem to see if anyone else has had it

Mo.Raider
08-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Torgo-

Yeah, I have been browsing for awhile now, and can't seem to find anything. I am updating spyware as I type. Thanks for trying to help. I think you are probably right about some sort of hijacker, even though Yahoo mail would seem a pretty odd choice. It may just be a momentary glitch. Oddly it has now changed from every new browser to just links. Thanks for trying to help.

Mo

Mo.Raider
08-27-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the help guys. The problem seems to have went away. Must have been either a glitch on Yahoo mails end or rectified when I used Spybot Search and Destroy. Either way thanks again.

Mo