PDA

View Full Version : NFL: Ron Dayne In .. Maurice Clarett Out

DeToxRox
08-27-2005, 06:59 PM
http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8775236

Dayne in, Clarett likely out in Denver
By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

In the slot he was drafted, Clarett was entitled to receive $410,000 in signing bonus. But he rejected it, opting for $7 million worth of incentives, figuring he was good enough to earn it. Had Denver paid Clarett the money, it would have been more obligated to keep him than it is now. Now, Clarett is expected to be released if not in the Broncos' first-round of cuts, then certainly their second.

Clarett is expected to be one of the highest profile cuts in the NFL when the full cut lists become available on Aug. 30 and Sept. 4. And for now -- and events always are subject to change -- Denver has decided against placing Clarett on injured reserve, where he would have missed the coming season and had a chance to fully recover from the groin injury the running back claimed he incurred earlier this summer.

One of the biggest reasons Clarett is not expected to make it in Denver is the lack of maturity he demonstrated during the summer. He had a warped perception of his talents, thus bypassing a signing bonus for incentives. Clarett also agitated some of his teammates for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was conducting national TV interviews before he had accomplished anything on the field -- or even gotten on the field.

But just as Clarett created a buzz on draft day, he now will do the same on cut day. But with all the teams that were thought to like him on draft day -- Cleveland, Dallas, Jacksonville -- Clarett isn't expected to be out of work long. At least one is expected to claim him on waivers.

A GREAT DAYNE

One of the ironies of the situation is that Clarett got beat out for a job by another former Big 10 back that was written off in New York the way Clarett is now being written off in Denver.

This will come as a surprise to Giants fans, but former Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne has shined this summer in the way he was supposed to when New York made him a first-round draft choice. Dayne has run hard, authoritatively and with a sense of purpose.

Ron Dayne may have found a home in the Broncos backfield.
He is the Broncos' leading rusher this preseason, carrying the football 29 times for 143 yards, a 4.9 yards per carry average -- 1.4 yards per carry more than he averaged on his 585 attempts in five seasons in New York.

He has drawn so much attention that even the Philadelphia Eagles, who lost running back Correll Buckhalter this week to a season-ending injury, made trade inquiries for Dayne that Denver quickly rebuffed. Dayne, who is playing on a one-year deal in Denver, would have been a great fit in Philadelphia, but the Broncos now like him too much.

Right now, Mike Anderson is running as the Broncos' first-team running back, and Tatum Bell as the second-string running back. But the way he has looked this summer, Dayne is vying for playing time in a system that has turned running backs such as Olandis Gary and Reuben Droughns into stars.

ABOUT THE GOAT

Before Denver signed wide receiver Jerry Rice, the Greatest Of All Time, there were concerns about what the organization would have to do if it had to cut him. Fortunately, it won't. Rice will make the Broncos' final roster; he has been too impressive on, and off, the field this summer for Denver to release him.

Yet because Rice makes it, one less young wide receiver will not. Chances are it's last year's sixth-round draft pick, Triandos Luke, who also has served as a returner for Denver. But Rice will get to play his -- gasp! -- 21st NFL season. The GOAT just keeps on grazing.

NO. 10 READY FOR SEPT. 11

It will be a huge upset if Giants quarterback Eli Manning and his sprained right elbow play in New York's Thursday night preseason finale at New England. The Giants are expected to hold out Manning from their last preseason game, and then try to get him ready for the Sept. 11 opener against Arizona.

Those close to Manning are expecting him to play the opener; that is now the Giants focus, as it should be. But if the regular season kicked off today, Manning still would be expected to play, giving the ultimate indication the he will be ready for the regular-season opener. But with a preseason finale in which many starters are rested anyway, there's no reason for the Giants to trot out Manning and subject him to possibly aggravating him the injury.

But there is nothing structurally wrong with the stretched ligaments in Manning's elbow. Three doctors have confirmed this to him, giving Manning and the Giants big-time relief.

BROWNIE POINTS

We still don't know how improved the Cleveland Browns will be this season. But they will be vastly improved in 2006.

The Browns front office, led by President/CEO John Collins and Senior Vice President/GM Phil Savage, has sacrificed some short-term gain for lots of long-term gain. This season, the Browns have $15 million worth of dead money counting against their salary cap. But by counting the money against this season's cap, the Browns already are a whopping $25 million under next season's salary cap, and that number is expected to grow beyond a huge $30 million.

This means the Browns will have money to upgrade their team however they see fit. One area the team is expected to upgrade is offensive line and, interestingly enough, the top free-agent offensive lineman, New Orleans' LeCharles Bentley, is from Cleveland. He grew up a Browns fan, played at Ohio State and, chances are, he could envision returning home.

Cleveland is set up to bring him home -- along with plenty of other talent.

COWBOY UP

Get ready to Cowboy up for a summer that could include plenty of Cowboys going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Now that the veterans committee has selected former Dallas offensive tackle Rayfield Wright as one of the two senior candidates for induction into the Hall of Fame, the Cowboys have three bona fide candidates for the Class of 2006, the other two being wide receiver Michael Irvin and quarterback Troy Aikman.

And it's not like one franchise hasn't sent three players to Canton in one class before. Back in 2000, the San Francisco watched proudly as Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott and Dave Wilcox were inducted in the same year. Now the Cowboys, who haven't had a player selected to the Hall of Fame since 1996, are poised to send three more.

korme
08-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Damn

sovereignstar
08-27-2005, 07:04 PM
That's some skillful cutting and pasting.

Buccaneer
08-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Very happy news.

Izulde
08-27-2005, 07:11 PM
It's nice to see Dayne picking it up again. He's one of my favourite Badgers players ever.

sabotai
08-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Well....that takes care of that.

Buccaneer
08-27-2005, 07:14 PM
I can't decide if I am rooting more against Clarett than the obnoxious troublemakers (e.g., Moss, TO, et al) but I think I was because he proved absolutely nothing except being a world-class asshole.

korme
08-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Asshole that sacrified major bonus money to prove his mojo on the field.

ThunderingHERD
08-27-2005, 07:25 PM
So a delusional asshole then.

Buccaneer
08-27-2005, 07:31 PM
An asshole that couldn't keep his act together in college, couldn't prove shit in the combine and then alienated the one team that gave him once chance too many. Piper. Tune.

duckman
08-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Please don't come to Dallas. Please don't come to Dallas. Please don't come to Dallas.

http://www.shalkith.com/forum/images/smiles/eusa_pray.gif (javascript:emoticon('[-o<'))

Young Drachma
08-27-2005, 07:36 PM
I don't understand whose these players agents are. I mean, the agent got his money regardless of whether Clarett gets cut or not. So annoying, but then, Clarett apparently made his own bed there in Denver, where honestly..he would've had the best shot to make something of himself.

Someone else will give him a look, but...I think he'd have been better off doing something else, like Arena or something where he'd actually have to work and then show up later a changed man.

He's just going to keep irritating everyone until he vanishes.

kingfc22
08-27-2005, 07:49 PM
HAHA!!!

Never could stand this clown. Go play in NFL europe.

SegRat
08-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Eagles could give him a shot. TO and him would hit it off quick.

Eaglesfan27
08-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Eagles could give him a shot. TO and him would hit it off quick.
No!

We need a backup RB, but I'd rather have anyone but him.

Joe
sounds like the type of player to fit right in for the Cowboys

ice4277
Or, asshole with the arrogance to assume he could step right in and be a god on the football field despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Cuckoo
08-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Please don't come to Dallas. Please don't come to Dallas. Please don't come to Dallas.

http://www.shalkith.com/forum/images/smiles/eusa_pray.gif (javascript:emoticon('[-o<'))

I don't think you have to worry about this. The Cowboys actually have a pretty crowded backfield right now. Julius Jones, Marion Barber, and Anthony Thomas all look to be locks. And that undrafted guy, Tyson Thompson, has really shown a ton of speed. I think they originally wanted to practice squad him, but the word is that there's no way they could slip him through waivers now. So it looks like he'll make the team as well.

Combine all of that with Parcells unwillingness to deal with headcases (see Antonio Bryant, Derek Ross, etc.), and I would seriously doubt Clarett will ever be in Dallas.

Thank God. :)

Leonidas
08-27-2005, 08:55 PM
I heard that construction firm is still offering $5K an hour plus free use of a customized car if he wants his old job back.

Cringer
08-27-2005, 08:59 PM
sounds like the type of player to fit right in for the Cowboys

Actually, I hear the Vikings are going to need another RB now this season. :p

QuikSand
08-27-2005, 09:38 PM

Actually, I think I needed to hear this twice in a row -- it just didn't sink in the first time.

ISiddiqui
08-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Well Dayne hasn't had any rushes tonight (though Anderson had 13 rushes for 159 yds and 2 TDs and Tatum Bell has had a total of 1 rush for 2 yards. Quentin Griffin has 9 for 33 though..)

TroyF
08-27-2005, 10:20 PM
We'll see. He'll get some carries next week. I'm not fully convinced they'll axe him yet. Something funny is going on in Denver right now. Anderson is the starter. He has a terrific game tonight, and his two backups get about 3 carries on the night.

You'd think you would save the legs of your 32 year old running back and let the young guys take the pounding in preseason. They still have about 200 defensive lineman and another three or four guys who are supposed locks to make the team who've either played horribly in preseason or not at all.

Just a really strange training camp.

FWIW, everything I've heard all preseason is that Dayne has been the best guy in camp. Not Anderson and not Bell. One of the Broncos scribes reitereated on the radio last week that the guy the Broncos want to take over is Bell, and he didn't feel Anderson would be the starter more than a few weeks. (which is what I've felt all along)

No matter what happens with Mo, Dayne has this team made. No doubt about it. Just like every year at this time, I really have no idea what to think of this team. It looks good on paper and on statistics and ends up with somewhere around 10 wins and a playoff blowout.

korme
08-28-2005, 03:09 AM
Or, asshole with the arrogance to assume he could step right in and be a god on the football field despite all the evidence to the contrary.
Arrogance or modety, loyalty, etc?

Pumpy Tudors
08-28-2005, 03:25 AM
TroyF, what's the story out there about the defensive line? The game against Indianapolis was really the first I've seen of my favorite team this season, and the linemen from Cleveland really impressed me. Now, listening to the commentary, it appears that Indy's offensive line has had some trouble this preseason, so I'll take the performance of Gerard Warren (for instance) with a grain of salt, but is the defensive line playing well overall? As good as the defense looked on paper last year, it just gave up too many big plays. Maybe a pass rush can help prevent that this season.

I was looking forward to seeing Ron Dayne play after all I've heard about him this year. It's a shame that he didn't play much. I was stunned by Mike Anderson's speed and ability to rumble 93 yards down the field, though. I'd forgotten that he had that in him. Tatum Bell was pretty much invisible to me. I'll never be sold on Quentin Griffin. I think he's still living off that one game against Indianapolis two seasons ago. Every time I see him on the field, I just keep imagining "If I haven't fumbled yet, press F5." I can't believe I'm saying this, but I want to see Ron Dayne in action. Maybe he'll get some playing time next week against the Cardinals.

Samdari
08-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Arrogance or modety, loyalty, etc?

You are seriously suggesting Clarett has modety? Passing up the signing bonus for the incentive laden contract might have demonstrated some positive qualities (although I lean to simple arrogance) there is no way that modety was one of them. Kid thinks he is the best RB ever.

Raiders Army
08-28-2005, 06:35 AM
It said "Cowboy Up". Heh heh.

Darkiller
08-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Damn Cowboys who "think" and scream they are snubbed by the Hall of Fame year in year out.
Eat this, you'll likely have three more inductees in 2006.

General Mike
08-28-2005, 10:44 AM
I hate Ron Dayne.

TroyF
08-28-2005, 10:59 AM
TroyF, what's the story out there about the defensive line? The game against Indianapolis was really the first I've seen of my favorite team this season, and the linemen from Cleveland really impressed me. Now, listening to the commentary, it appears that Indy's offensive line has had some trouble this preseason, so I'll take the performance of Gerard Warren (for instance) with a grain of salt, but is the defensive line playing well overall? As good as the defense looked on paper last year, it just gave up too many big plays. Maybe a pass rush can help prevent that this season.

I was looking forward to seeing Ron Dayne play after all I've heard about him this year. It's a shame that he didn't play much. I was stunned by Mike Anderson's speed and ability to rumble 93 yards down the field, though. I'd forgotten that he had that in him. Tatum Bell was pretty much invisible to me. I'll never be sold on Quentin Griffin. I think he's still living off that one game against Indianapolis two seasons ago. Every time I see him on the field, I just keep imagining "If I haven't fumbled yet, press F5." I can't believe I'm saying this, but I want to see Ron Dayne in action. Maybe he'll get some playing time next week against the Cardinals.

Well, Bell was only invisible because he only got on the field for about 2 plays all game. (1 carry)

Anderson impressed me last night. Looked sharp. Maybe he'll keep the job all year. I'd be stunned if it happened, but stranger things have occured.

As for the D-Line. . .

Well, they mentioned it last night on the telecast, Shanahan feels that Warren is going to make the pro bowl. He's said it mre than once. Last night was the first time he's really played. He looked pretty good, but I'm not sure about the zone blitzes with him dropping back into coverage.

Brown was looking OK before he got hurt, but then, that's his history. Pryce is playing himself back into shape, I think he's primed for a big year.

I know the coaches love the depth. They are probably going to keep 8 or 9 of those guys. And they'll rotate em to where they'll always have fresh legs on the field. That by itself should help get a much better pass rush and help force more turnovers.

And turnovers has been the theme of camp. So far they haven't turned the ball over in a game yet and are going for the ball hard on defense. (in fact, one of the reasons Bell was dropped to number 2 early in camp was a run of fumbles in the last mini camp)

Like I said above, we'll see. I have no idea what to think of this team now. I'm pretty sure they'll win 9 or 10 games, but it wouldn't shock me to see em win 7 or 12 either. Makes for an interesting year. :)

Samdari
08-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Anderson impressed me last night. Looked sharp.

He really looked good. I know that it seems they want Bell to win the job, but Anderson looks to be demanding it.

TroyF
08-28-2005, 03:59 PM
He really looked good. I know that it seems they want Bell to win the job, but Anderson looks to be demanding it.

Exactly. Of course, the last couple of weeks, it doesn't matter who they give the ball to, they are just ripping off big gain after big gain. I think it's Andersons for now, but all it's going to take is a single slip up. A bad game or two and Bell/Dayne will be right on his heels.

The more damaging thing is probably what happens if/when he gets a nick. He's 32 and even though he's had some rest the last few years, it'll be interesting to see if he can keep breaking long gainers by mid-season.

My guess is still no. I think Bell will slowly start to get more carries and eventually will take over the #1 job (probably sooner than later), but Anderson keeps playing like this and doesn't get hurt? He'll go for 1,500.

cthomer5000
08-28-2005, 04:34 PM
You are seriously suggesting Clarett has modety? Passing up the signing bonus for the incentive laden contract might have demonstrated some positive qualities (although I lean to simple arrogance) there is no way that modety was one of them. Kid thinks he is the best RB ever.
"modet?" http://www.fof-ihof.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

korme
08-28-2005, 04:37 PM
"modet?" http://www.fof-ihof.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif
he meant modest. i think my typo in the post before him got him stuck spelling it the same way

SegRat
08-28-2005, 05:44 PM
And he has been cut:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2145372

cthomer5000
08-28-2005, 08:01 PM
What's even worse is that this isn't even the final roster cut down.

SegRat
08-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Corey Simon is now free to sign with anyone. Philly took off the franchise tag.

SegRat
08-28-2005, 08:48 PM
And now Chicago has signed Benson.

Ksyrup
08-28-2005, 09:33 PM
I am so stoked that the Broncs are cutting Clarett. I still don't understand why they wasted a 3rd round pick on him, though.

ISiddiqui
08-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Exactly. Of course, the last couple of weeks, it doesn't matter who they give the ball to, they are just ripping off big gain after big gain. I think it's Andersons for now, but all it's going to take is a single slip up. A bad game or two and Bell/Dayne will be right on his heels.

The more damaging thing is probably what happens if/when he gets a nick. He's 32 and even though he's had some rest the last few years, it'll be interesting to see if he can keep breaking long gainers by mid-season.

My guess is still no. I think Bell will slowly start to get more carries and eventually will take over the #1 job (probably sooner than later), but Anderson keeps playing like this and doesn't get hurt? He'll go for 1,500.
I've heard that one of the problems with Bell is that he's dancing too much at the line. Denver's system is cut and go. Bell isn't doing that and that's why he's not making a dent against Anderson who understands.

HomerJSimpson
08-29-2005, 05:50 AM
I am so stoked that the Broncs are cutting Clarett. I still don't understand why they wasted a 3rd round pick on him, though.

People read their press clippings and begin to believe them. You may do miracles with running backs, but the running backs must have enough heart to show up and work.

WSUCougar
08-29-2005, 08:01 AM
Maurice Clarett may become the Tonya Harding of the football world.

miami_fan
08-29-2005, 11:48 AM
According to the Denver Post......

Teams that may consider Clarett include Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Cleveland, St. Louis and Dallas. The Rams and Cowboys considered taking him as early as the fourth round of the draft.

Kodos
08-29-2005, 12:51 PM
No!

We need a backup RB, but I'd rather have anyone but him.

Lawrence Phillips it is, then! :D

Cuckoo
08-29-2005, 02:27 PM
According to the Denver Post......

Teams that may consider Clarett include Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Cleveland, St. Louis and Dallas. The Rams and Cowboys considered taking him as early as the fourth round of the draft.

To defend my Cowboys a little bit, this is bunk. All the talk of Dallas considering him in the fourth round was speculation and was never confirmed by anyone within the organization (as far as I know). In fact, the media that is very close to the organization (DallasCowboys.com) pretty much said the Cowboys had almost zero interest in him.

Again, I'd be very surprised, especially given their current RB situation in Dallas, if the Cowboys even so much as talked to Clarett.

JasonC23
08-29-2005, 02:57 PM
I think Cedric Benson and Maurice Clarett would make for a fascinating backfield. Jerry Angelo, make it happen!

:rolleyes:

Schmidty
08-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Ron Dayne is just a Faux-Duckett. T.J. for teh win!!

Eaglesfan27
08-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Lawrence Phillips it is, then! :D
Ok, perhaps I should have said, "I'd rather have any other NFL back besides Clarett." ;)