PDA

View Full Version : Politicians say the funniest things

JonInMiddleGA
08-27-2005, 11:07 PM
I dunno, maybe I'm just tired & needing a chuckle OR this really is as funny as I think it is. I'm thinking QoTM material, politics-from-some-other-place division. I should probably fill in the blanks a little here:
Bibb County = Macon, GA ... between the Macon City Council (15 members) & the Bibb County Commission (5 members), and the ever-delightful Mayor (thankfully only one of those), there may be no more politically dysfunctional place in the country.

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/12490291.htm
SOUTH BIBB KAHLUA CRISIS

At Tuesday's meeting of the Bibb County Commission License & Tax Committee, commissioners tried to understand their own ordinance and state law about how much booze can be sold in one neighborhood.

There's a limit on how close two take-away package stores can be, regardless of whether they sell liquor or only beer and wine. Grocery stores, which also sell beer and wine, apparently don't fall under the ordinance.

Commissioner Joe Allen said this is unjust, because it can prevent a liquor store opening in an area where there are no other stores selling liquor.

He wanted to be able to approve an alcoholic beverage license for Houston Spirits and Tobacco, less than 1,000 feet from two businesses that sell beer and wine to go.

"You're denying that person the right to run a business," Allen said. "We can't find no Kahlua cream in south Bibb County now! We need that place."

County attorney Virgil Adams agreed to scrutinize the code more closely, and the committee tabled the decision on Houston Spirits' license.

To add to the comedic effect, a visual aid may help. Comm. Allen is pictured here:
http://www.co.bibb.ga.us/BOC/Images/JoeAllen.jpg

JonInMiddleGA
08-27-2005, 11:10 PM
In a related story (seriously, it's in the same article as the above bit)
ATTORNEY WILSON TAKES SATIRICAL NEWS ONLINE

Steve Wilson has been penning comedy routines based on Macon politics for nearly 20 years.

But lately, he says, he's had more material than he can fit into his yearly performance with the Macon Civic Club.

Hence, the WMCC News blog was born.

"It's a great opportunity to poke fun at people," said Wilson, an attorney, who started the blog about a week ago at wmccnews.blogspot.com.

His initial offerings include "stories" on Bibb County commissioners moving their offices to Jeneane's restaurant, surrounding counties celebrating Jack Ellis' contribution to their population growth and the spat between Macon Councilman Rick Hutto and the head of the Georgia Department of Transportation. Wilson also tweaks The Telegraph.

"There's so much material," Wilson said. "I'm going to keep doing it."