PDA

View Full Version : The FOFC No Soda Dynasty

Pages : [1] 2

Radii
10-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Seems like a lot of people are interested in this. For me, personally, if i'm going to attempt something using you guys as a support group, it's necessary to have a dynasty going with some regular updates. With my weight loss dynasty when I fell off the wagon I just ignored it, but with others going along here hopefully I'll be a bit more accountable myself :)

If RPI-Fan(who got us all going on this) or any others aren't interested in more consistant updates, that is cool, but I imagine there are some of us who would rather have something like this instead.

Personally, I expect to be updating this daily for a week or two to make sure I get going strong, and perhaps just weekly or a couple of times a week after that. Have at it, and good luck everyone!

PARTICIPANTS:

JeeberD: No sodas since 9/25
indoorsoccersim: No sodas since 10/3
RPI-Fan: No sodas since 10/4
Passacaglia: No sodas since 10/4
Godzilla Blitz: No sodas since 10/5
primelord: No sodas since 10/6
Oliegirl: No sodas since 10/7
lurker: No sodas since 10/17
Radii: No sodas since 10/17
Dodgerchick: No sodas since 10/22
Ardent Enthusiast: No soads since 11/1

EDIT: Last updated 11/1

Radii
10-04-2005, 01:54 PM
10/4 - I'm eating lunch now and drinking a Dr Pepper. This will be my last one for a year if I reach the stated goal at least :)

Personally, I have quit cold turkey multiple times and have always had success for a week, a month, sometimes even 2 months. But making it a permanent change has always been a problem. I *like* water, but I like soda more sometimes and I give in.

I have a 32 oz water bottle at work. *IF* I fill it up the second I get to work and just don't go to the damn soda machine, I'll be fine. I drink 80+ ounces of water just during the work day when I do this just because if its in front of me, I'll drink it. So after I finish this last lunchtime soda, I'm filling up the water bottle and it begins.

We don'tkeep sodas that I like in the house, so that's not a problem, I haven't had a soda at home in quite awhile.

Breeze
10-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Good luck. I don't drink soda and haven't for 20+ years. I was never addicted and I quit when I was little so I had no problems with it. Hope you're able to stick with it.

DeToxRox
10-04-2005, 02:06 PM
I quit it for hockey. Got hooked on powerade, never have gone back.

MacroGuru
10-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Just an FYI....I have also declared in the No Soda thread I am doing this....last night was my last soda....I have already downed close to 64 ozs of water today

Godzilla Blitz
10-04-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm in as well. One year no soda. I'll try to post updates, but promise to post here if I fall off. I'm having a Pepsi as I write this, and will have one more later in the day. I'll start on October 5 (my daughter's birthday!).

Radii: Maybe you could edit your first post to include everyone's name and their current status (out on a certain date, still going)? That way we can see at a glance how things are going?

Kodos
10-04-2005, 02:25 PM
I am weaning myself off as well. Down from my 3 twenty-ounce bottles a day already, I around 1 1/2 bottles a day. Right now, I am drinking my final bit for the day.

Passacaglia
10-04-2005, 02:29 PM
What a great idea, with Rosh Hashanah around the corner! I'm in! I don't know if I'm an addict, but I generally can't pass up the chance for pop at a restaurant -- and when I do order pop, I take full advantage of free refills, cause, damnit, I'm making that 2 bucks worth it! I love coke, and when I do buy a 12-pack, it moves quickly. However, I also like milk, and that goes quickly as well. The only reason I don't buy pop all the time is because it's such a pain to carry it. I'm with Detox on "ade" -- I just started running three times a week, and I bring a bottle of gatorade with me. So I don't drink a ton, but I drink enough where giving it up is a big deal (lurker can back me up on this). I suppose the next thing would be to give up coffee, which physically does weird things to me, so it's bad for me in the short-term as well as the long-term.

Anyway, my lunch today included a Mug Root Beer, no ice. Maybe if the stupid place had coke products instead of pepsi products, I wouldn't be in this with you guys!

lurker
10-04-2005, 02:39 PM
What a great idea, with Rosh Hashanah around the corner!
So I don't drink a ton, but I drink enough where giving it up is a big deal (lurker can back me up on this).

Yeah, right around the corner (check your calendar, it's today).

Anyway, so I guess I'm going to have to go all Claire Huxtable on your ass? :p

I'm already at the point where I don't think it's worth it to get pop at a restaurant since I'm such a slow drinker. It's not worth $2 for me to get two sips in. So count me in too.

Radii
10-04-2005, 02:43 PM
good idea GB. I included passacaglia and lurker even though I don't know what the hell this "pop" stuff is that they're talking about ;)

Am I adding you as well Kodos for cutting this out or are you going the possibly more sane slow weaning off method?

JeeberD
10-04-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm in as well, though I really couldn't tell you when the last time I had a soda was...maybe a month ago when my parents were in town and I had grape soda at my sister's house? I'm not sure...

Anyways, it shouldn't be difficult for me, as long as I don't have to make too many long drives. I suppose on my trip down to Austin this weekend if I start feeling tired I can grab a cup of coffee, but it'll be kinda hot for that.

Passacaglia
10-04-2005, 02:47 PM
So wait, Old Major, I mean RPI-Fan, said something about throwing in frappucino drinks. Is it just soda we're boycotting, or fraps as well?

Oh, and unfortunately guys, lurker and I aren't with you on the 'No Yoda' part -- there's a pretty good chance we're going to see one of the Star Wars movies this weekend.

illinifan999
10-04-2005, 02:56 PM
I feel bad for you guys, this last week I've discovered the most AMAZING pop ever. It's 3 quarters Sierra Mist, 1 quarter Mug Root Beer. You get the initial taste of root beer with an aftertase of sierra mist. Sounds weird, but my god it's the best tasting liquid I've ever experienced. And for that I could never quit, but good luck to you guys.

Radii
10-04-2005, 02:59 PM
I gave jeeber 9/4 since he said about a month.

As to the frapputhingies, that's up to each individual I suppose :)

For me, it's easy. If i'm not drinking fully loaded sugary sodas, I only drink water or the very very occasional glass of milk or OJ. I have actually had one milkshake this year and it was a couple of days ago. I don't like coffee, can't stand diet sodas, etc etc, so this is a strictly soda challenge for me. To each his own IMO.

SirFozzie
10-04-2005, 03:01 PM
i can't wait. I'm the devil's advocate on this one.

Soda. Soda. SODA. SODA!!

I figure if you see how obnoxious I'm going to get on you guys, maybe you will stay on, just to avoid my I Told You So's ;)

Radii
10-04-2005, 03:04 PM
i can't wait. I'm the devil's advocate on this one.

Soda. Soda. SODA. SODA!!

I figure if you see how obnoxious I'm going to get on you guys, maybe you will stay on, just to avoid my I Told You So's ;)

That reminds me(well ok, no it doesn't, but I meant to ask you awhile ago), are you coming back to BC in FOFC FBCB or have you given up on us? :) I still have you in place there.

SirFozzie
10-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Laughs.. I haven't loaded FBCB in a while, I'll attempt to fire it up tonight at least.

And sleep. Sleep very important too. I think. need more caffine to get through the day.

I bet you a lot of folks will suddenly decide they're coffee or tea drinkers early in this dynasty ;)

Jon
10-04-2005, 03:08 PM
I've tried to quit cold turkey numerous times, but I always end up getting the headaches for caffeine withdrawal (I don't drink coffee). I may join this thread since you guys are into in, but after I finish the last two liter in my house.

Radii
10-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Laughs.. I haven't loaded FBCB in a while, I'll attempt to fire it up tonight at least.

Check the message board, I've added a couple of neat new features and wrote up a program to present the results, etc, which might make things a little prettier.

JeeberD
10-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Doh, I lied! I forgot that I picked up some Gott's Cream Soda a little while ago. I polished the last one off last week, Radii...

oliegirl
10-04-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm in, put me down for starting tomorrow...I had a sprite at lunch today.

For the record, I am not giving up frappaccino's or iced tea...though when I drink iced tea it's half and half so the sugar intake isn't quite so lethal.

lighthousekeeper
10-04-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm in - last soda was 10/03.

Kodos
10-04-2005, 04:02 PM
good idea GB. I included passacaglia and lurker even though I don't know what the hell this "pop" stuff is that they're talking about ;)

Am I adding you as well Kodos for cutting this out or are you going the possibly more sane slow weaning off method?

I'll wean and then let you know when I'm off.

Buzzbee
10-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Just wanted to tell you that you guys (and gals) suck if you can't give up soda. You can DO it!! There are millions of people out there who don't drink sodas. The biggest 'gotcha' will probably be at fast food restaurants. "I'll have a number two, with coke." Gets me every time. Watch out for it. Be prepared for it. Get in the habit of ordering water.

Good luck to you all. Us weak-willed, chicken-shit, soda dependent wussies will bask in your glory a year from now!!

SirFozzie
10-04-2005, 05:37 PM
you mean we'll be laughing at them a month in when they decide they are the slaves to carbonation they really are? :)

lurker
10-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Now I'm feeling guilty even being in this thread...I always get water when I get fast food. I like the taste of water. Oh well -- this'll be incentive to not get Coke just because it's a free can at a work meeting or something.

Poli
10-04-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm in, starting today. Tea is still an option for me, though.

Poli
10-04-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm in, starting today. Tea is still an option for me, though.
I'm not a heavy tea drinker, though. I drink far more soda than I drink tea. Heh, the tea I drink is crystal light's powder mix at that. I'm good for two or three small cups (6 to 7 oz) of the tea a day I'd guess.

Lorena
10-04-2005, 07:42 PM
COUNT ME IN!!

I was gonna order a cheeseburger combo for lunch today and realized they didn't have a big selection of "non soda" drinks, so I opted for a Taco Supremo Salad and had water. My body thanked me for it :)

It's amazing how one choice ended up changing my whole meal. This might help me lose some weight. Hmm...

BTW, my last soda was sometime last week. I think it was a diet Mt. Dew... yeah, that's what it was.

Lorena
10-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Oh yeah, I'm one of those "replace soda with tea" people. I started today :p

RPI-Fan
10-04-2005, 07:48 PM
COUNT ME IN!!

I was gonna order a cheeseburger combo for lunch today and realized they didn't have a big selection of "non soda" drinks, so I opted for a Taco Supremo Salad and had water. My body thanked me for it :)

It's amazing how one choice ended up changing my whole meal. This might help me lose some weight. Hmm...

BTW, my last soda was sometime last week. I think it was a diet Mt. Dew... yeah, that's what it was.

Same thing... had 2.5 hours to kill before my night class, and to watch the baseball game I wanted to buy dinner. Instead of the subb w/ fries & a soda (or two), I went with the subb w/ 3 milks (3 milks cost less than a small soda!!!) and am happy to have overcome my first challenge.

Challenge #2: Overcome the habit of drinking a soda in the morning at work (when I work the 6am-? shift), and even moreso avoid drinking a soda with lunch at work.

RPI-Fan
10-04-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm in.

RPI-Fan
10-04-2005, 07:49 PM
What are some good soda-alternatives (other than water, of course)?

My #1 is probably milk, but I don't know of many others... OJ is also something I'll probably drink more of.

So:

1. Water
2. Milk
3. OJ
4. Hot chocolate

Anything else?

~rpi-fan

Poli
10-04-2005, 07:53 PM
I drink quite a bit of Crystal Light. In all honesty, I don't normally drink a lot of soda, in my opinion. I've been good for a 20 oz bottle a day at work typically. While home on leave, and without my Crystal Light, I drank quite a bit of Diet Dr. Pepper. 4 cans a day or so, it made me feel horrible.

All else fails you could buy some lemonade mix or Kool Aid.

RPI-Fan
10-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Radii: No soda since 10/4 (FTR)...

Can you cross people off the list in big bold letters if they drink a soda? Or at least, can you cross me off the list if I do? Thanks!

~rpi-fan

Lorena
10-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Same thing... had 2.5 hours to kill before my night class, and to watch the baseball game I wanted to buy dinner. Instead of the subb w/ fries & a soda (or two), I went with the subb w/ 3 milks (3 milks cost less than a small soda!!!) and am happy to have overcome my first challenge.

Challenge #2: Overcome the habit of drinking a soda in the morning at work (when I work the 6am-? shift), and even moreso avoid drinking a soda with lunch at work.

GOOD FOR YOU!! That's freaking awesome RPI! The first of many obstacles you will overcome :)

oliegirl
10-04-2005, 08:54 PM
I have a technical question...I love to drink Vodka Tonics, I use diet tonic water, does this count as soda b/c it's carbonated or does it count as water b/c it's stocked the bottled water aisle? If I have to give up VT's that may be a deal breaker for me :(

Lorena
10-04-2005, 09:10 PM
What are some good soda-alternatives (other than water, of course)?

My #1 is probably milk, but I don't know of many others... OJ is also something I'll probably drink more of.

So:

1. Water
2. Milk
3. OJ
4. Hot chocolate

Anything else?

~rpi-fan

I'm with you on the milk. How much do you drink? I can drink a gallon of fat free milk a week.

Other alternatives:

1.) Hot and Iced Tea (I drink a lot of green tea, but mostly herbal tea.. not even decaffeinated since it still has traces of caffeine)

2.) Apple Cider

3.) Sobe Beverages - they're incredibly tasty and they have tons of flavors to suit everyone

4.) Juice - all kinds of course like apple, orange, grape, grapefruit, etc.

5.) Lemonade

6.) Smoothies - make your own with milk, ice, a little sugar (or in our case, Splenda), fruit. Very refreshing and filling

7.) "Italian Soda" - not sure if this is allowed, but its basically sparkling water with a couple tablespoons of DaVinci Syrup. DaVinci Syrups come in sugar and sugar free versions.

8.) Flavored water - there's a brand out there and I can't remember what it is off hand, but there's lots of flavors like strawberry, citrus, and others. One of them is Nestle Pure Life (http://www.nestle-purelife.us/flavors/default.asp)

Hope it helps, I'll be downing lots of milk and water from now on.

GLUCK!!

Lorena
10-04-2005, 09:11 PM
I have a technical question...I love to drink Vodka Tonics, I use diet tonic water, does this count as soda b/c it's carbonated or does it count as water b/c it's stocked the bottled water aisle? If I have to give up VT's that may be a deal breaker for me :(

I was wondering the same thing, I'd say it's okay... hmm.. :confused:

TargetPractice6
10-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Dodgerchick:

All sodas are basically carbonated water and syrup. That Italian soda fits that mold so it would probably be cheating if you wanted to really stick to the "no soda" rule.

Edit: Actually it depends on what the purpose of this is. If it is to give up caffeine and sugar then it seems like it would be fine. But then some commercial sodas would be fine too. I don't see any great advantages to giving up carbonated water itself for a year so it seems to be vodka tonics would be fine. So I guess it depends on what "no soda" means. No commercial soda? No carbonated water flavored with syrup? No carbonated water at all?

Radii
10-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Edited the original post w/ all the new additions.

Pumpy Tudors
10-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Good luck to all of you, but I still can't believe that people actually say "pop."

Craptacular
10-04-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm in ... no Arm & Hammer for one year.

Lorena
10-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Dodgerchick:

All sodas are basically carbonated water and syrup. That Italian soda fits that mold so it would probably be cheating if you wanted to really stick to the "no soda" rule.

Edit: Actually it depends on what the purpose of this is. If it is to give up caffeine and sugar then it seems like it would be fine. But then some commercial sodas would be fine too. I don't see any great advantages to giving up carbonated water itself for a year so it seems to be vodka tonics would be fine. So I guess it depends on what "no soda" means. No commercial soda? No carbonated water flavored with syrup? No carbonated water at all?

Well shoot... I didn't even consider that. You have a point because the first ingredient in soda is carbonated water followed by high fructose corn syrup (sugar) or some kind of color. Never thought about it.

Thanks for clearing it up.

lurker
10-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Good luck to all of you, but I still can't believe that people actually say "pop."

Soda sounds like something you'd get at a drive-in in the 50s.

Oh yeah, and if we're being technical about it, I think my last Coke or soda/soft drink/whatevs was on 9/30.

Wolfpack
10-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Everybody up here calls it "pop". Even after six years living here, I can't get used to it and I never say it myself, preferring a very neutral "soft drink" term when asking at restaurants. Oddly enough, I never called it "coke" while growing up in North Carolina, which I think is what the popular term is supposed to be there. Probably the result of having a Yankee-inflected heritage (dad from Illinois, mom born in VA, but grew up either in NY or Miami).

JeeberD
10-05-2005, 09:52 AM
I still can't believe that people actually say "pop."

No kidding. There are some sick, sick people out there...

Godzilla Blitz
10-05-2005, 12:48 PM

It's amazing how one choice ended up changing my whole meal. This might help me lose some weight. Hmm... I read a study that looked at soda consumption during meals. Basically, one group of people was given soda with a meal and the other group was given water with a meal. Interestingly, both groups ate essentially the same amount of food. The study concluded that soda consumption doesn't help eaters feel full, so the calories gained from soda consumption during meals are all "extra" calories. Replacing soda with water during meals should be a great way to lose weight.

One 12-ounce Coke has 155 calories. Roughly 22 and a half cans of Coke result in one pound of body fat. Even if you drink only one 12-oz. Coke a day, cutting it out and replacing it with water will shift your body weight down about 1.3 pounds/month.

And on another note...

My caffeine withdrawal headache is kicking in. :(

SirFozzie
10-05-2005, 12:52 PM
And on another note...

My caffeine withdrawal headache is kicking in. :(

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

TOLD YA SO!

Godzilla Blitz
10-05-2005, 12:55 PM
MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

TOLD YA SO! Last time I tried this the headache lasted almost two weeks. This is going to suck. Hard.

Passacaglia
10-05-2005, 12:58 PM
You can do it, GB! Beating the sugar addiction and the caffeine addiction means you have two reasons to give it up!

Since I'm back in this thread, I'll mention that lurker said I wouldn't be able to do this. That'll show her!

Kodos
10-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Oooo. Sir Fozzie is giving us a villain. That always makes for a good dynasty. :)

SirFozzie
10-05-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm the Devil's Advocate. I will MOCK any who fall relentlessly.. giving you guys a reason to stay on the straight and narrow ;)

KevinNU7
10-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Include me in the mocking!

KevinNU7
10-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Dola,

Anyone substituting soda with another type of caffinated beverage is wasting time.

Kodos
10-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Hmmm. Strongly tempted to go over my 1 - 1/2 bottle allotment. Eyes watering because I'm really tired. Be strong, you damned alien!

lighthousekeeper
10-05-2005, 02:38 PM
MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

TOLD YA SO!

i'm surprised at fozzie's consistent and unprovoked hostility through this thread and the other on the main forum and i wonder what issues he has that compels him to this. whatever the issues are, they're enough for him to read and post in the less-frequented dynasty threads for a dynasty he is not participating in. that takes some level of commitment.

does he work for pepsi?
is his portfolio heavily invested in KO?
is he overweight and has he tried unsuccessfully to lose weight, so now trying to quash any attempts by others to improve themselves?

Kodos
10-05-2005, 02:45 PM
He's a part of the High Fructose Corn Syrup industry that is trying to fatten up and destroy America.

Buzzbee
10-05-2005, 02:48 PM
He just enjoys being an ass?
He is trying to give you a taste of what will happen if you fail?
He can never get his stubby fingers under the pop top and is relentlessly tormented by the forbidden treasure inside the can?
He lost is Dungeon Master's Guide and this is how he vents his frustration?

I got nothin'.

RPI-Fan
10-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Dola,

Anyone substituting soda with another type of caffinated beverage is wasting time.

This is not true at all. While not ideal, drinking a non-acidy & sugary caffeine drink (plain coffee) is a significant improvement over soda.

Coffee has little/no negative impacts on your teeth, while soda is terrible for them. And the acid in soda for you is uber-bad, and that same stuff isn't in coffee.

RPI-Fan
10-05-2005, 03:05 PM

Made it through the day without any issues... instead of ordering hot lunch (pizza, etc.) with the boys, went to Price Chopper and got a muffin (not great, but still not as bad as pizza), with a quart of milk.

KevinNU7
10-05-2005, 03:20 PM
This is not true at all. While not ideal, drinking a non-acidy & sugary caffeine drink (plain coffee) is a significant improvement over soda.

Coffee has little/no negative impacts on your teeth, while soda is terrible for them. And the acid in soda for you is uber-bad, and that same stuff isn't in coffee.
Whatever helps you sleep at night

RPI-Fan
10-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Whatever helps you sleep at night

What the fuck is your problem?

I don't even drink coffee. But the fact is, there are things in soda other than caffeine that makes it unhealthy.

KevinNU7
10-05-2005, 03:34 PM
What the fuck is your problem?

I don't even drink coffee. But the fact is, there are things in soda other than caffeine that makes it unhealthy.
I think you are missing the whole idea that SirFozzie and I are just joking around with you guys.

Someone's a little touchy since they lost their soda fix :D

KevinNU7
10-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Dola,

FYI with the exception of mixed drinks I haven't had a non diet soda in about a year and only drink Diet Cokes when I go out to eat and then only about a third of the time.

Radii
10-05-2005, 03:43 PM
My head is fucking killing me, but its from some pain in my jaw after a recent dentist appointment and from what I think is a stress related headache that came on last night with some.. duh, stress, so if i'm having a caffeine headache I won't even notice it. No problems on day 1 w/o soda, with about 60 oz of water downed today.

SirFozzie
10-05-2005, 04:12 PM
yeah, it's all good. I am a soda addict, and interesting to see if it can be done, I've tried a couple times and couldn't follow through. the headaches and the

It's all in good fun.

Godzilla Blitz
10-05-2005, 04:35 PM
My head is fucking killing me.
Me too. It is from oodles of angry little brain cells jumping up and down and screaming, "WHERE THE HELL IS OUR CAFFEINE?"

Not to mention that I have the energy level of a dead slug now. I can barely see the keyboard I'm slumped so low in my chair.

The worst thing? My wife will come home and have an ice-cold Pepsi right in front of me with her dinner.

Life was so much easier yesterday. :)

primelord
10-05-2005, 05:10 PM
I was reading this for the first time as I was finishing my 5th 20oz bottle of Dr. Pepper of the day. It has suggested to me that I may have a problem. :)

So I am in too. I have 3 cans of Dr. P at home I will polish off tonight sincde my wife doesn't drink them and tomorrow I shall be soda free for a year. Or at least until lunch. We will see.

Buzzbee
10-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Keep hanging in there guys and gals. The headaches WILL go away.

hoopsguy
10-05-2005, 07:09 PM
I've gone down the path of quitting a couple of times. But I wasn't willing to put up with the caffeine headaches for a week straight and eventually went back to drinking pop.

I've decided to passively participate with this dynasty. I'm only drinking a Coke when I feel the caffeine headache coming on. That should get me down to maybe one a day instead of 4-6 per day. The hope is that I'll be able to move from one to zero at some later date, but quitting cold turkey has failed miserably for me in the past and I just don't want to do that to myself again. I'm expecting at least one person in this dynasty will end up going this route as well if they don't abjectly surrender to the power of the beverage industry outright.

Barkeep49
10-05-2005, 07:31 PM
I wish all of you the best of luck in this. I was very happy when I completed nearly 12 months with-out a soda. I then didn't have another for 6 months or so. Now I generally have it every 4-6 weeks or so either in a resteraunt or movie theatre. It's a special treat and I really enjoy it on those occasions when I have it, while being careful not to go back to my former ways.

Poli
10-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Ha, you had soda at The Silo a few weeks ago. :)

So did I. :)

Barkeep49
10-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Ha, you had soda at The Silo a few weeks ago. :)

So did I. :)
Indeed. You noticed that I didn't order one at first but then decided it was a special occasion and ordered one :). I haven't had one since.

Poli
10-05-2005, 08:41 PM
I did notice that, I felt I pressured you into it. :)

Poli
10-05-2005, 08:42 PM
By the way, I nearly bought Monster Energy drinks earlier today for my trip tomorrow. I wasn't thinking about my commitment at all. Glad I didn't :).

Lorena
10-05-2005, 09:09 PM
By the way, I nearly bought Monster Energy drinks earlier today for my trip tomorrow. I wasn't thinking about my commitment at all. Glad I didn't :).

Umm... we can't have energy drinks? Aww man.. no, I didn't have any, but I ocassionally do. Alright, those are out.

RPI-Fan
10-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Umm... we can't have energy drinks? Aww man.. no, I didn't have any, but I ocassionally do. Alright, those are out.

There aren't any rules... do whatever you want.

For me, these would be fine (at first at least) since I'd probably drink them in moderation.

My problem with soda is, I either have to have it ALL the time, or not at all.

Passacaglia
10-06-2005, 06:52 AM
You guys are funny. As Ramadan starts, there are people that aren't eating or drinking ANYTHING for about 13 hours.

Now, I'll join in the bitching! Yesterday went pretty well for me. I often buy a 20 oz. coke on my way to my tutoring job, but since I knew I wouldn't be doing that today, I filled my water bottle with orange juice. Worked pretty well. However, when I got back home last night, I saw there was a half-full 20 oz. of coke left over from when I came back from tutoring a couple days ago. I told myself the coke was probably flat by now, so that helped make me not want it. However, even though I told myself it was worthless, I didn't dump it out. Wonder why? I mean, I *am* lazy, but was there something subconscious going on there?

Passacaglia
10-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Oh, and I've decided that I'm with the No Fraps Gang. In fact, I'm cutting out any coffee-related product as well. I'll still drink tea, though.

Poli
10-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Up at 4 this morning to help the barracks with urinalysis for the students, I almost accidentally grabbed a soda. I caught myself, though. Kind of funny, I nearly had one because I was too sleepy.

Breeze
10-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Just to add to the temptation...I heard Fresca (or was it Freska)... is coming back ;)

JeeberD
10-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Nothing but water (and a tiny bit of Peach Tea at work) for the past two days... :)

Buzzbee
10-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Up at 4 this morning to help the barracks with urinalysis for the students, I almost accidentally grabbed a soda. I caught myself, though. Kind of funny, I nearly had one because I was too sleepy.
Just goes to show how much of a 'habit' it really is.

Keep it going guys and gals!!

Kodos
10-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Back up to 2 bottles today. I suck, and it's been a sucky day. :(

Godzilla Blitz
10-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Sir Fozzie is going to jump all over you.

Kodos
10-06-2005, 02:53 PM
He sucks too.

JeeberD
10-06-2005, 04:12 PM

Oh my...his FOF teams are driving him to drink!

SirFozzie
10-06-2005, 04:39 PM
He sucks too.

Awww, come on Kodos, Have a coke and a smile..

One down, who's the next to fall?

Godzilla Blitz
10-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Day three. Still hanging in there. Headaches were the worst yesterday. Head seems to be better today. Energy level is still low, but getting better.

Tought test last night: birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese. When you don't drink soda, you begin to realize to what degree soda consumption is promoted in US culture and to what degree other drinks are hidden. The soda machine is displayed in an easy to find location with bright lights. The milk is hidden away in the kitchen, and a customer has to make a special request to get it.

Drinking soda in a place like that is almost a no-brainer. When you think, "What is there to drink?" you see the prominently displayed soda machine right in front of you and nothing else around. Finding something else to drink takes creativity and initiative, which is probably not in abundance when you show up with two hungry kids in tow.

KevinNU7
10-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Oh how the mighty have fallen

Godzilla Blitz
10-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Oh how the mighty have fallen I don't think Kodos has fallen, really. He never said he was going to join the "dynasty", did he? He was trimming back each day and had a setback, right? Maybe now he'll join us?

For what it's worth, I had a hell of a time gradually cutting back on soda products. I tried the "3 Cokes today, 2 Cokes tomorrow, 1 Coke the next day" thingie, but it never worked for me. My problem is that I treat soda like potato chips: I have one and I can't stop. Much easier for me just not to start.

Although my recent attempts to give up caffeine/Coke met with failure, I have hope. I was addicted to Coca Cola when I was 13 years old, and then just gave caffeine up in a moment when I realized how jittery it was making me. I couldn't sit still. I still drank occasional non-caffeinated sodas, but probably had only six Cokes/coffees a year for the longest time. Then our kids were born and I got addicted to caffeine again. The thing that gives me confidence that I can quit now is the fact that I quit once when I was 13.

Passacaglia
10-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Well, I said no coffe-related products on Wednesday, then on Thursday morning, I order my caramel tea latte on the way to class. I usually don't drink it until I get to class, so by the time I tasted it and found out that it was a caramel latte (i.e. with coffee instead of tea), it was too late. However, I managed to have just that one sip!

KevinNU7
10-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Well, I said no coffe-related products on Wednesday, then on Thursday morning, I order my caramel tea latte on the way to class. I usually don't drink it until I get to class, so by the time I tasted it and found out that it was a caramel latte (i.e. with coffee instead of tea), it was too late. However, I managed to have just that one sip!
If all you had was that one sip I wouldn't call it a failure, I'd reem into the place that gave you the wrong thing :)

Buzzbee
10-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Good job Blitz and Pass.

TeeHee. That sounded funny.

JeeberD
10-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Busy day at work, I've had NOTHING to drink at all today. Time to hit the kitchen and get a glass of ice water...

Poli
10-07-2005, 06:33 PM
I've been home for about 24 hours now. I'm certain my wife and inlaws believe I'm high.

oliegirl
10-07-2005, 07:06 PM
I caved and had a caffeine free diet coke today...I know it's soda, but at least it was caffeine free and diet! Tomorrow will be better...I need to start bringing a bottle of water over to my parents house, they have a bar fridge they keep stocked with cans of soda and knowing they are there makes me want one SO bad!!!!

ice4277
10-07-2005, 07:36 PM
I gave up regular soda/pop/whatever you call it a couple years back. I lost about 20 pounds in 2 months just by not drinking it :eek:

I drink mostly diet sodas now, very rarely (maybe once every 2 or 3 months) will I have a regular one. I did it to cut back on sugar and calories. I still get plenty of caffeine from coffee and diet pop, I'm not really worried about that.

Craptacular
10-07-2005, 09:33 PM
A couple of years ago, I went straight from about 4 to 6 regular Mountain Dews a day to water and a couple of Diet Rites a day. My wife and I came back from vacation, and agreed we needed to lose weight. So bang, no easing into it, just switched immediately. I can't stand coffee or tea, so I had no other liquid source of caffeine. For those of you who don't know, Diet Rite is about as close to water as you can get without it just being plain water. No caffeine, no sugar, no calories, pretty much no taste. I managed to make it through about 6 or 8 weeks before I decided I just couldn't do without caffeine. So, I started drinking Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi, as I really didn't like the taste of Diet Dew. It look a little getting used to the taste, but compared to Diet Rite, it was heaven. Now regular soda tastes fairly nasty to me. I still drink 3-5 diet sodas a day, and there ain't no way in hell I'm going without caffeine again!

Barkeep49
10-07-2005, 11:07 PM
I caved and had a caffeine free diet coke today...I know it's soda, but at least it was caffeine free and diet! Tomorrow will be better...I need to start bringing a bottle of water over to my parents house, they have a bar fridge they keep stocked with cans of soda and knowing they are there makes me want one SO bad!!!!
Sounds like you've got a good plan there! Keep it up ollie!

Passacaglia
10-09-2005, 02:51 PM
If all you had was that one sip I wouldn't call it a failure, I'd reem into the place that gave you the wrong thing :)

Yeah, you're probably right. I would have liked to reem the place, or at least get what I ordered, but I didn't feel like going back again, and by the time I go there again before my next class (Tuesday), it'll be a lot later.

Godzilla Blitz
10-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Monday check-in?

How are people doing?

So far so good for me. Couple of close calls, but the force was with me.

Just a slight headache left and energy levels coming back to normal. 5 days down, 361 more to go.

SirFozzie
10-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Ok.. I tried it

Figuring if you guys can do it, I can do it at least for a while. No soda. None at all.

Never mind the 12 pack at home, or the remnants of one in my cabinet.

30 Hours.

Goddamn it, are the people on my phone this fucking stupid all the time or is just me... I mean, it should not be physically possible to be that stupid and live. I TOLD YOU WHAT I WANTED YOU TO DO 30 SECONDS, AND YOU CAN'T EVEN GET THAT RIGHT?

What the fuck do you mean, you want to speak with my manager, he'll tell you what you want is just as impossible as I just did. Being a tech support guy does not mean I have all the super seekrit codes for you to do things with the Clariions that are not normally available to you.

Hmm.. I might be a might bit testy today.

well.. that and the fact it it's apparently Chinese New Year in my head right now, with dancing dragons, singing, and fireworks. Lots of them. Going off all the time.

I hate you all for "setting a good example". Go choke on my fuck.

(nah, don't. Just.. wow.. this HURTS)

Poli
10-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Nearly had a diet soda yesterday, since I was without anything but water. Went with water, and then drank OJ when it arrived.

Radii
10-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Monday check-in?

How are people doing?

So far so good for me. Couple of close calls, but the force was with me.

Just a slight headache left and energy levels coming back to normal. 5 days down, 361 more to go.

I gotta start over. Oops. Had a soda with McDonalds today. This past week, without factoring in caffeine addiction, has been one of the most stressful I've ever had and I did pretty damn good, but I had to take my kid by McDonald's today and without thinking ordered a coke. I didn't even think about this until I'd drank most of it.

Ah well, that's still only 1 soda in about 5 days, and its back on the water train now.

Passacaglia
10-10-2005, 03:21 PM
No pop for me so far. :)

Godzilla Blitz
10-10-2005, 04:04 PM
I had to take my kid by McDonald's today and without thinking ordered a coke. I didn't even think about this until I'd drank most of it.
Same thing happened to me a couple of times when I tried to quit before. Partly, I attribute this to the force of habit, which will hold less control over us as the soda habit gets weaker. Partly, I attribute this to the power of suggestion at a place like McDonald's, where the glaring and easy choice is the soda. Soda is a no-brainer there.

I think the important thing is to realize how well you've done to go with only one soda in five days. It's too easy with this type of resolution to find fault with ourselves when we slip up, rather than realize how well we've done by cutting so far back on soda. Having said that, come on back, Radii. You can do it.

Passacaglia
10-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Yeah...try #2 Radii! No harm, no foul! Your celebration will just have to be 5 days after ours!

Godzilla Blitz
10-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Ok.. I tried it

Figuring if you guys can do it, I can do it at least for a while. No soda. None at all.

Never mind the 12 pack at home, or the remnants of one in my cabinet.

30 Hours.

Goddamn it, are the people on my phone this fucking stupid all the time or is just me... I mean, it should not be physically possible to be that stupid and live. I TOLD YOU WHAT I WANTED YOU TO DO 30 SECONDS, AND YOU CAN'T EVEN GET THAT RIGHT?

What the fuck do you mean, you want to speak with my manager, he'll tell you what you want is just as impossible as I just did. Being a tech support guy does not mean I have all the super seekrit codes for you to do things with the Clariions that are not normally available to you.

Hmm.. I might be a might bit testy today.

well.. that and the fact it it's apparently Chinese New Year in my head right now, with dancing dragons, singing, and fireworks. Lots of them. Going off all the time.

I hate you all for "setting a good example". Go choke on my fuck.

(nah, don't. Just.. wow.. this HURTS) Heh heh. Been there, done that. This week I'm only a half-ass with half a headache. Hoping to lose it for good soon though. The headache, that is. If it's any help, I thought the headaches the second day were the worst.

:)

RPI-Fan
10-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Hmm... strange, I only had the head-ache for one day.

No soda for about the 7th day now. Haven't really had any issues -- even went to the store today to get a quart of milk w/ my dinner @ work. It's still there, so I can have it tomorrow, too. Looking forward to having some OJ soon, tonight, to get ready to do homework.

I think the no-soda thing has helped me as much with improving my (terrible) snacking habits as it has with actually not drinking soda. It seems like a lot of the soda I drank was just for the sake of having something to go with a snack -- now that I don't have as much soda, I'm not really interested in having those snacks, either.

SirFozzie
10-11-2005, 04:04 AM
A little better this morning, although I'm pretty sure that it was the reason why I just wiped out and went to sleep at 8 PM, and slept in 2-3 hour chunks, up till 4 AM when I finally had enough of it.

Still a bit of a headache, hopefully it doesn't get worse as the day progresses.

KevinNU7
10-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Shaws had 2 liter bottles of soda for 78 cents yesterday :)

Passacaglia
10-11-2005, 09:29 AM

I don't even know what Shaws is. However, I bet it was stupid stuff like 7 Up, not the good stuff, like Coke.

SirFozzie
10-11-2005, 10:35 AM

Haaaatte you..

Oh yeah, the headache is down some, which just means the firecrackers are smaller then M-80's today..

Kodos
10-11-2005, 11:19 AM
This is the week where I'm down to one bottle, which I've already had. Time to go fill up the water bottle.

Kodos
10-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Oh how the mighty have fallen

And for the record, I've never been mighty. :)

JeeberD
10-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Had a coffee to start the trip to Austin and an Arizona lemon tea on the way back. Nothing but water the rest of the weekend... :)

Godzilla Blitz
10-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Oh yeah, the headache is down some, which just means the firecrackers are smaller then M-80's today..
The duration of caffeine withdrawal headaches is interesting. This is day seven for me, and mine are essentially gone now. There is a very slight ache if I think about it, but most of the time I don't notice it.

The first time I tried to quit I went from a coffee and three or four sodas a day to zero; my head hurt for two weeks. The second time I cut back slowly over a week then quit; my head only hurt for four or five days. This time, I'd been averaging two or three Cokes a day; my headache lasted about six days.

The correlation seems to make sense, but what I wonder is whether my headaches are psychosomatic or if there is a geniune physical response to caffeine withdrawal that causes headaches of such duration.

Kodos
10-11-2005, 02:18 PM
I drank a Sprite at lunch. Crystal clean and no caffeine.

SirFozzie
10-11-2005, 03:14 PM
It's soda.. bah! :D

(I'm being completely good, till I get past this headache/low energy thing, no caffine if I can avoid it.)

KevinNU7
10-12-2005, 11:43 AM
I don't even know what Shaws is. However, I bet it was stupid stuff like 7 Up, not the good stuff, like Coke.
That's amazing. Shaws is pretty big in New England, right up there with Stop & Shop. Do they have those in IL?

Anyways the sale is on all Coke products and ends Saturday. What me to ship you some?

Kodos
10-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Made it through yesterday with just one coke, but have been headachey for most of yesterday and today (I'm prone to headaches, which is part of the reason I'm trying to quit caffeine). Have had my Coke for the day already. Now for the long afternoon...

RPI-Fan
10-12-2005, 12:52 PM
That's amazing. Shaws is pretty big in New England, right up there with Stop & Shop. Do they have those in IL?

Anyways the sale is on all Coke products and ends Saturday. What me to ship you some?

I live in eastern NY and go to Boston a half dozen times a year or so, and have never heard of them.

KevinNU7
10-12-2005, 12:57 PM
I live in eastern NY and go to Boston a half dozen times a year or so, and have never heard of them.
http://www.shaws.com/php_apps/maps/map_request.php

SirFozzie
10-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Shaw's took over what used to be Star Market in our area, there's one in Franklin

Poli
10-12-2005, 01:49 PM
My roommate bought a 12 pack of Vanilla Coke to try and get me to drink a soda. He didn't realize Vanilla Coke is the Worst Tasting Soda Ever.

Kodos
10-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Made it through sticking to just the one Coke yesterday, but have a hankering for a 2nd Coke today. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

RPI-Fan
10-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Just wanted to chime in that I'm still on the bandwagon. It's not even bothering me that much at this point -- if I were offered a regular soda I would take it, but if it were diet I would say hell no (previously I would take anything and everything I could get my hands on).

Godzilla Blitz
10-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Me too. Still hanging in there. These past two days have been tough, as I didn't get enough sleep the past two nights. Would love some Cherry Coke to carry me through the afternoon and evening. Should be ok if I can get some sleep tonight.

SirFozzie
10-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Still going, the headache is 10% of what it was, but I'm sleeping 11 hours a day it seems :)

Passacaglia
10-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Still on. I got a strawberry banana smoothie on my way to work -- good stuff! I'm not sure about what will happen this weekend, since I'll be at a bar with friends for a bachelor party, and I don't drink -- pop might be my only other option!

JeeberD
10-14-2005, 12:18 AM
They serve water at bars, Pass. Heck, they even have juices since the use them for mixers. Don't give in!

Kodos
10-14-2005, 01:22 PM
I caved last night and had a can of Cherry Coke when I was supposed to be done for the day.

Have been doing okay today. Have drank one can and have a little bit of my 1 bottle a day allotment left.

JeeberD
10-14-2005, 08:59 PM
If I wanted to make this a challenge I should have given up beer as well. I love my beer!

Poli
10-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Perhaps the greatest challenge for me will be tomorrow. I have what looks to be a pretty tough day in class dealing with boolean algebra and junk. I have a hard enough time with algebra, much less boolean. I'm going to be craving something to drink, I just know it. I need to stock up on Gatorade before I go.

primelord
10-14-2005, 10:45 PM
I am still going strong

RPI-Fan
10-16-2005, 09:34 PM
...still on the bandwagon...

Barkeep49
10-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Perhaps the greatest challenge for me will be tomorrow. I have what looks to be a pretty tough day in class dealing with boolean algebra and junk. I have a hard enough time with algebra, much less boolean. I'm going to be craving something to drink, I just know it. I need to stock up on Gatorade before I go.
How'd your day go ardent?

Passacaglia
10-17-2005, 03:33 PM

What's the big deal? There's only two choices! :p

Anyway, I have returned from this weekend in NYC, still intact. No pop, no coffee. The caffeine probably would have been nice considering how little sleep I got, and how much walking around I did. Toward the end, though, I was getting a sore throat, and didn't want to drink much besides OJ and tea, anyway.

Godzilla Blitz
10-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Still going. 12 days down. 353 to go.

The hardest part so far for me has been restaurants. I tend to think of them as places where I can relax and forget life for a bit, and I often have sodas there. Part of my restaurant ritual. Switching to water there somehow makes the experience incomplete. I suppose I'll get used to it, but it is the one place where I am unhappy that I am doing this.

lurker
10-17-2005, 05:36 PM
I caved. I got a coke at the wedding Passa and I went to. It was stupid; I just did it because I wanted an excuse to get up and go to the bar when there was an awkward silence with people I don't know well.

So I'm out! Oh, well, it's not like I'm addicted since I average one every 6 weeks or so, so it wouldn't change my life.

JeeberD
10-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Stupid vow. :mad:

A server rang in one too many Cherry Cream Sodas today at work and I was about to suck the puppy down when I remembered my vow. God, how I love our cream sodas. So damn good. Mostly syrup and cream, hardly any soda in it at all, but I knew it would count... :(

Icy
10-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Related to this, i had to stop RedBull 2 years ago and have tried it since then, only thinking about it while i write now i have the desire of drinking a really cold one. It's the only thing that got me really addicted (i don't smoke). For some ppl including my wife it tastes really bad, like a medicine, but i love the taste and the cafeine rush it gave me. Before getting married i worked a lot at nights as most of my bussines is done with USA webmasters that have from 7 to 9 hours difference with Spain, but also i had to wake up soon in the morning to work with the European webmasters so i was sleeping like 4 hours per day and being like a zombie during the day... then Redbull called me everyday, drink me, drink me...

Shit, luckily it's 1 AM here and i can't buy one, else i would break my word right now.

Craptacular
10-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Please, everyone, NEVER EVER drink RedBull and snack on BBQ Corn Nuts at the same time. My buddy did that on a road trip once, and the smells that came out either end were absolutely the nastiest, foulest scents ever to be emitted from a human being.

Kodos
10-17-2005, 11:03 PM
I made it through the day with just one can of Coke. Though I was sorely tempted to get a bottle of Cherry Coke because I was tired and it was a crappy day.

Buzzbee
10-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Congrats to all those still on the wagon. Way to go Jeebs in not drinking that cream soda.

Lurker, just because you had one soda doesn't mean you have to give up. Continue it on from here.

Godzilla Blitz
10-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Was in a rush to have dinner tonight on my way to work. Only option was drive-thru at MacDonalds. Normally I'd get a value meal, but that doesn't make sense without the soda, so I had a $1 chicken sandwich and a $1 salad. Had a bottle of water from home in the car with me.

$2 for a reasonably healthy dinner at MacDonalds! Woot!

Nice thing was that I'd didn't get the bloated, exhausted feeling that I normally get from MacDonalds two hours after I eat their food.

Radii: Any chance we can get an update in the first post? Some people have had setbacks and have started again.

Radii
10-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Radii: Any chance we can get an update in the first post? Some people have had setbacks and have started again.

including me! I'll try to go through the thread sometime today and update.

Kodos
10-19-2005, 01:00 PM
I was having a bad day yesterday and had an extra full bottle of Cherry Coke over my 1 can allotment. Back on the wagon today after I successfully chose the Sprite option at McDonald's (I'm only worried about eliminating caffeine at this stage, and then will focus on all soft drinks after that).

Buzzbee
10-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Way to keep at it Kodos. Eventually those 2 bottles on bad days will become 1 bottle on bad days. Then those 1 bottle on bad days will eventually become 0 bottles.

RPI-Fan
10-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Still on the bandwagon... :cool:

Poli
10-21-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm going to take Monster Energy drinks in with me to work tonight. I normally work 6am-2pm, but this weekend I pulled duty, and I'll be at it from 10pm-10am.

Kind of sucks, but I know I'll never make it through the night without something artificial helping me along the way.

Kodos
10-21-2005, 02:04 PM
I am drinking an illegal bottle of Cherry Coke right now. Stayed up too late last night playing video games...

Lorena
10-22-2005, 06:47 PM
I haven't checked this thread in a while, but I'll come clean. I've had a few diet sodas since this started. Not very many, maybe less than 5.

Lay it on me I deserve it.

Kodos
10-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Today is the first day where I'm s'posed to be caffeine-free. So far, so good...

Kodos
10-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Well, that didn't take long. I decided to allot myself half-a-bottle today. :|

Radii
10-24-2005, 02:06 PM
I've updated the initial post with dates for people that have slipped up.

I had my last one last monday. I really picked a shitty time to try to do this, I am just too constantly stressed this month, but in the end I'll feel a lot better if I can stick with it, and I've now gone a full week so I'm on the right track.

How's everyone else doing? Anyone else that I need to add to the list, any other dates to update?

JeeberD
10-24-2005, 05:23 PM
I had a tough spot the other night. I went to a wedding that had an open bar and I ordered my usual, a Cap Cod. The bartender was like, "OK...ummm...oh, I don't have any cranberry juice." So I started to rack my brain for something else to mix the vodka with when he announced, "Actually, the only mixers I have are Coke and Sprite." That put me in a bind until I saw the margarita machine behind him. Thank god for frozen tequila goodness...

Poli
10-24-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm doing fine. Other than the Monster energy drinks for the weekend duty...which I still haven't recovered from.

lighthousekeeper
10-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Count me out. Sorry, the Dew called upon me in a time of weakness (travel).

Kodos
10-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Count me out. Sorry, the Dew called upon me in a time of weakness (travel).

**Wham** "I'm out!"

;)

Godzilla Blitz
10-26-2005, 12:23 AM
How's everyone else doing?
Still hanging in there. Getting easier now to resist. Went to Subway for lunch and wasn't even tempted by the soda machine. Water is my friend.

Radii
10-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Still hanging in there. Getting easier now to resist. Went to Subway for lunch and wasn't even tempted by the soda machine. Water is my friend.

Very good! I had a bunch of soda on my anniversary(we went out for a nice dinner and I couldn't... didn't even try to resist) and the next morning had a coke but that was my last one. I was sick all weekend and drinking nothing but water and the occasional orange juice, and now that I'm starting to get better and am back at work it's been a week and a half since I've had one and I haven't had major urges to have one yet. Perhaps this time it'll stick!

RPI-Fan
10-29-2005, 08:44 PM
--still good--

JeeberD
10-29-2005, 08:59 PM
No cola here. Though I might have to swear off beer as a money saving device...

Kodos
10-31-2005, 10:31 AM
I've been doing poorly recently. With the Halloween party today at work, I'm not even going to try to resist.

Poli
10-31-2005, 04:29 PM
You know what, I'm having a soda. I just got a huge dose of super depressing news and I'm going to have one. It's that or beer, and don't have beer right now, which is probably a good thing. :(

Radii
11-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Don't worry about it AE, you've been doing great, and there's nothign wrong with starting over, I've done it multiple times before I finally got on a roll.

I hope everything is alright.

Poli
11-07-2005, 05:17 PM
I'd like to say I'm back on the wagon, but I'm not. I'm still struggling with a huge personal problem that's really got me down. My emotions make me feel bipolar right now. I'm either on top of the world or super depressed. It even spills into the "no soda". Sometimes I'm all about starting over, but other times I say screw it, what's the use.

JeeberD
11-07-2005, 05:33 PM
I need to expand this vow to OG breadsticks as well. That's been my real weakness lately...

RPI-Fan
11-07-2005, 05:37 PM
--still onboard--

Godzilla Blitz
11-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Still onboard too. Still going strong with the soda end of things.

I did have one coffee last month, but that was it for major doses of caffeine.

Now if I could only keep my hands out of the kids' Trick or Treat stash. I've already had to buy two bags of candy to replace what I've eaten...

SirFozzie
11-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Still onboard too. Still going strong with the soda end of things.

I did have one coffee last month, but that was it for major doses of caffeine.

Now if I could only keep my hands out of the kids' Trick or Treat stash. I've already had to buy two bags of candy to replace what I've eaten...

Anyone tell him what's in choccolate? :D

Radii
11-08-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm still doing well here too. I have had a couple of occasions where I have just *craved* a soda but i've held off. I have a 32 oz water bottle that I fill up when I get to work in the morning, and again at lunchtime. As long as I fill it up twice a day I'll drink water and have no problems.

Buzzbee
11-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Keep with it gang!!! For those still hanging on, or who have only had a slip up or two, way to go!!!

As for Kodos, well....

Buccaneer
11-09-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm having a hard time following this. I had never known soda was addictive. I rarely drink soda, never any coffee or tea but lots of water, so I guess I hadn't experienced any physical drawbacks to drinking soda. But here's my problem, some of you are drinking and eating things that are worse for you - health-wise. Shouldn't you be taking a more holistic approach to diet and nutrition?

Godzilla Blitz
11-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Congrats to everyone still going strong! Way to go, Radii, you can do it!

I'm still on board. Had three coffees (and a bunch of candy), so the caffeine part of the deal is off for me, but that was always a fringe benefit to giving up soda for me, so I consider myself on board.

I'm having a hard time following this. I had never known soda was addictive. I rarely drink soda, never any coffee or tea but lots of water, so I guess I hadn't experienced any physical drawbacks to drinking soda. But here's my problem, some of you are drinking and eating things that are worse for you - health-wise. Shouldn't you be taking a more holistic approach to diet and nutrition? I think so, but most research that I've read concludes that making dramatic changes to diet is too difficult for most people to maintain in the long run. Combine that with the eating binge people go on when they fall off their diets, and hard-core dietary changes can often lead to weight gains. And regardless of research, I know that I have never been able to stick with any major healthy eating plan. It's simply too much work for me to make full scale changes to my eating habits at once.

But I think you are correct, Buc, in that I need to do more if I'm going to get where I want to be.

I was thinking it might make sense to add one new element of change to my diet each month, until maybe a year from now I could be eating a lot better. Just brainstorming, maybe I could add a positive element on odd months and subtract a negative one on even months.

For example, last month, I gave up soda. That is "subtracting a negative." This month, I could try to eat one solid vegetable a day (preferably green), no matter what. This will be "adding a positive." To those of you that eat good meals this might seem silly, but I know there are many days where I'll go through a day with a light breakfast, a sandwhich for lunch, and some pasta for dinner--nothing substantially green in there at all. And for me, making sure I add a good vegetable each day will take some effort and planning.

If I could keep adding positives and subtracting negatives for a year, I might end up with a reasonable diet.

No matter though, cutting out soda has absolutely been a good thing for me over the past month. I'm down about three pounds total in weight, and before Halloween, was down six pounds off my early October weight. I'm fairly certain this is a result of giving up soda.

Anyone tell him what's in choccolate? :D Yeah, I was hoping to give up caffeine completely, too, but that one has gone by the wayside for the moment. I might add it at some point, though. Fortunately, the amount of caffeine in chocolate is relatively small. Unfortunately, if I have a half dozen of those mini Amazing Bars, I'm probably getting the equivalent of a Coke's worth of caffeine and probably even more calories. However...if I hadn't given up soda, I'd be washing those candy bars down with Cherry Coke, so I'm still happy with myself for giving up the soda.

In any case, the candy is almost gone, and I have restrained myself over the past few days.

RPI-Fan
11-11-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm having a hard time following this. I had never known soda was addictive. I rarely drink soda, never any coffee or tea but lots of water, so I guess I hadn't experienced any physical drawbacks to drinking soda. But here's my problem, some of you are drinking and eating things that are worse for you - health-wise. Shouldn't you be taking a more holistic approach to diet and nutrition?

I'm not sure what examples you have of people that are having things that are worse for them than soda?

Regardless, for me at least, it's not that soda is addictive, it's just that I love the taste of it. So instead of having one a day, I have four a day. The alternative, even if I were drinking or eating something equally unhealthy, is that I don't get that "one more" feeling and would have lesser quantities of other items.

RPI-Fan
11-11-2005, 08:58 PM

However...if I hadn't given up soda, I'd be washing those candy bars down with Cherry Coke, so I'm still happy with myself for giving up the soda.

My thoughts exactly.

Godzilla Blitz
11-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Just checking in...

How's everyone doing?

I'm still doing ok. No sodas.

Actually went on the Atkins diet for a week and dropped five pounds before caving in to fatigue and general bitchiness. Have lost 8 pounds altogether since starting this. Six more pounds to go.

RPI-Fan
11-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Just checking in...

How's everyone doing?

I'm still doing ok. No sodas.

Actually went on the Atkins diet for a week and dropped five pounds before caving in to fatigue and general bitchiness. Haved lost 8 pounds altogether since starting this. Six more pounds to go.

I'm all good.

JeeberD
11-29-2005, 04:27 PM
:o

Yesterday at work the Coke guy came out because the soda that comes out of our bar guns has been flat and gross for as long as I can remember. He fixed them and then took a couple of glasses out to our managers for them to try. Well, they didn't think it tasted right but the Coke guy said that everything was fine. So a trainer came over and put some in a glass and asked me to taste it to see what I thought. I took two or three small sips and then I realized what I was doing...and that I had ruined my vow. :(

Buzzbee
11-29-2005, 09:18 PM

Yesterday at work the Coke guy came out because the soda that comes out of our bar guns has been flat and gross for as long as I can remember. He fixed them and then took a couple of glasses out to our managers for them to try. Well, they didn't think it tasted right but the Coke guy said that everything was fine. So a trainer came over and put some in a glass and asked me to taste it to see what I thought. I took two or three small sips and then I realized what I was doing...and that I had ruined my vow. :(
You were tricked. It was Satan.

I call a do-over.

Northwood_DK
11-30-2005, 06:02 AM
You can add me to the list. I went for the cold turkey when this was first posted in the “General Discussion” forum and have not touched it since.

Milk, water, coffee and popcorn! has been my new “drugs” of choice.

Godzilla Blitz
11-30-2005, 12:34 PM

I wouldn't count that, if it were me.

I had some "fruit punch" at a Halloween party because it was the only drink available; there wasn't even water around. The stuff looked un-carbonated in the punch bowl. After a couple of sips, I got a feeling that there was a little carbination in it, perhaps some orange soda added to it. I stopped right away.

I'm not counting that slip-up against me. I think intent/amount is a big part of the whole thing.

Kodos
12-01-2005, 10:59 AM
I've been hovering at the 1 can to 1 bottle per day range, which is an improvement over the 3 a day from before. I suck.

Passacaglia
12-02-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm out! I was fine on Thanksgiving Day, but at my high school reunion the Saturday after (those things can be so weird), I had a ton of coke, just to give me something to do. Then the next day on the ride back, I had some more since I was already out. Start me up again as of 11/27!

Passacaglia
12-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Well, I started my year over on Thanksgiving (even though the first post wasn't updated), and last weekend, I fizzled out again. I had a few cokes at the Christmas party for lurker's office. Then, the next day, I had a few more at Chili's (damn those free refills). And you know what? I **like** Coke, damnit! Why the hell are you people doing this to me? Screw you all! I'm out!

Kodos
12-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Coke fiend!

JeeberD
12-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Saturday, for some reason, I got a HUGE craving for some good old fashioned Coca-Cola. I don't know why I was craving it, but I was. Went to Walmart to look at Christmas lights and everywhere I looked was a Coke display. But I stood strong and refused to give in and got some fruit punch to drink instead.

Poli
01-05-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm officially ON THE WAGON again today. F you, soda.

JeeberD
01-06-2006, 12:15 PM
I've been having the occasional strong craving for Coca-Cola every once in a while, but I have yet to cave. And I had a weird time explaining my reasoning for not drinking soda at the future in-laws over Christmas...

Passacaglia
01-06-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm officially ON THE WAGON again today. F you, soda.

Tough luck...at least you held out longer than me!

ice4277
01-07-2006, 08:20 PM
How come you guys just don't switch to Diet instead of trying to give up altogether?

JeeberD
01-08-2006, 10:33 PM
'Cause diet tastes like ass...

RPI-Fan
01-09-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm thinking about getting back on the bandwagon, because the cost of orange juice & milk is so goddamn expensive. $3 for a half-gallon of OJ, which is good for MAYBE 6 glasses (has to be more like 4, though), which is 50-75 cents per glass. Soda is $3 for 12 cans, which means like 25 cents per glass. Hard to justify paying that much more for the non-soda drinks...

JeeberD
01-09-2006, 06:05 PM
H2O, brother. It's free...

Godzilla Blitz
01-10-2006, 12:42 PM
I've been having the occasional strong craving for Coca-Cola every once in a while, but I have yet to cave. And I had a weird time explaining my reasoning for not drinking soda at the future in-laws over Christmas...

I'm still hanging in there, but I'm starting to forget why I am doing this. I look at my wife's Cherry Coke at dinner and I think, "Wow. That looks great. I'd love a Cherry Coke." And then I realize I can't have one, and I think, "Now, why can't I have one...?" and I can't seem to come up with a good reason.

Right now I'm just relying on the fact that I knew there were good reasons when I started this, and I must have known what I was doing. Which is pretty stupid reasoning on my part, but I'm sticking with it for now.

Buccaneer
01-10-2006, 07:02 PM
I am still a little unclear after reading Jeeber's posts. How does one have a craving for Coke and what does it *feel* like? I'm not sure I can relate to craving a food that you want to have some all of the time.

Zippo
01-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Are you guys keeping track if not drinking any soda is helping with control of weight? Might be interesting to see if there's any correlation between the two.

RPI-Fan
01-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm still hanging in there, but I'm starting to forget why I am doing this. I look at my wife's Cherry Coke at dinner and I think, "Wow. That looks great. I'd love a Cherry Coke." And then I realize I can't have one, and I think, "Now, why can't I have one...?" and I can't seem to come up with a good reason.

Right now I'm just relying on the fact that I knew there were good reasons when I started this, and I must have known what I was doing. Which is pretty stupid reasoning on my part, but I'm sticking with it for now.

My reasons are mostly health-related.

1) The acid in soda (diet or regular) eats away at your teeth and insides.
2) Regular soda is more unhealthy than, say, a candy bar. Moreover, it provides no positive health benefits.
3) I have less snacks/junk food when I don't have soda.

RPI-Fan
01-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Are you guys keeping track if not drinking any soda is helping with control of weight? Might be interesting to see if there's any correlation between the two.

For me, it hasn't helped at all.

JeeberD
01-11-2006, 10:52 AM
I am still a little unclear after reading Jeeber's posts. How does one have a craving for Coke and what does it *feel* like? I'm not sure I can relate to craving a food that you want to have some all of the time.

I rarely drank soda before I started this, so it's not like I was constantly craving a Coke. But when I did want one, I would go ahead and drink one. Now I can't do that. And it's a craving just like I sometimes get cravings for Thai food or Indian food or mexican food or hot dogs. I just start to think that a Coke sounds REALLY good right now and would totally hit the spot. It's a mental thing, not a physical craving.

Does that clear it up at all?

Poli
01-11-2006, 11:02 AM
H2O, brother. It's free...Yep. I don't drink tea anymore, either. It's been milk, water, or lemonade...and lemonade is usually just if and when I eat out.

I thinking of eating some Wendy's or Culver's today. I'm beat up from the gym. Today's my day off. Bacon Butter Burger Deluxe Jumbo sounds oh so good right now.

Godzilla Blitz
01-11-2006, 12:40 PM

Hard to say definitively if the not drinking soda has been the leading cause, but after three months I'm down about four pounds, which calorie-wise is about right considering how much soda I was drinking each day. So yes, I'd say it's been about a pound/month for me of very gradual downward progression. Although that doesn't sound like much, it's been a painless way (occasional cravings aside) for me to keep losing weight.

Fudging this is the week or so when I tried the Atkins diet and lost some weight, but I pretty much ate that back up over Christmas. Outside of that, only the cutting soda has been the consistent behavioral change, so I think I can attribute the weight loss to the soda.

More importantly, I have definitely reversed the trend of adding a couple of pounds/year for the past four years.

Radii
01-12-2006, 08:46 AM
I fell off the wagon badly around thanksgiving I think(early december if not thanksgiving). Unfortunately I've had a history of being very all or nothign when it comes to drinking soda, which makes moderation very hard for me. But in the couple of weeks since work started back up after new years I've caught myself having 4-5 cans of soda a day on work days. That's just insane, and stupid. If I feel real bad over the next few days I may have one with lunch, but I'm drinking water at the moment and intend to start over with this early next week.

If anyone else fell off but is getting back on and wants me to update the dates on the front page, let me know.

Kodos
01-12-2006, 11:19 AM
I have fallen back into Cherry Coke's evil clutches. I must start to fight back again.

Godzilla Blitz
01-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Ok, I've found my motivation to stick with this thing: the documentary Supersize Me.

If anyone is looking for inspiration, that might do the trick for you. I finished the documentary at 11:45 at night, and then immediately went out jogging.

gi
01-16-2006, 11:50 AM
As of December 23rd, I no longer drink soda. Thought I was having a heart attack, went to the hospital and discovered that I have acid reflux. I guess drinking over a gallon of soda a day will catch up to you when you get over 30. Amazingly, (sarcasm), I feel a whole heck of a lot better since I switched to water.

Godzilla Blitz
01-16-2006, 12:02 PM
As of December 23rd, I no longer drink soda. Thought I was having a heart attack, went to the hospital and discovered that I have acid reflux. I guess drinking over a gallon of soda a day will catch up to you when you get over 30. Amazingly, (sarcasm), I feel a whole heck of a lot better since I switched to water.

Good work. Keep it up. I hope the acid reflux goes away for you.

After watching the documentary, where the guy suffers constant food cravings, I realized that those types of "cravings" for me have diminished since I've quit soda. I generally have more consistent energy throughout the day.

Radii
03-06-2006, 12:16 PM
the soda = fat thread on the front page is reason enough to bump this.

its the height of soccer season so I'm out running around with my son's soccer team two practices a week, the weather is starting to turn a bit nicer, in no time I'll have the lawn mower back out every sunday again, my wife is making a concerted effort to drop a few pounds, we're making a concerted effort to cook more, dine out less, there are vegetables on the table at least 4 or 5 nights a week.. I just have no excuse at all not to follow this through and drop the damn sodas and seriously try to drop some weight this year.

After I leave work today, I'm back on the wagon. I'm going to be very angry at myself if I don't take advantage of this opportunity to seriously drop some weight myself, and it all starts with the soda.

Kodos
03-06-2006, 02:14 PM
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=47760&page=1&pp=30

Add me too. I'm finishing my Cherry Coke that I have right now, and tomorrow I'm starting my no soda stage. I clearly can't gradually wean myself like I tried before.

Godzilla Blitz
03-06-2006, 02:35 PM
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=47760&page=1&pp=30

Add me too. I'm finishing my Cherry Coke that I have right now, and tomorrow I'm starting my no soda stage. I clearly can't gradually wean myself like I tried before.

Woot! Go Kodos and Radii!

I'm still hanging in there. No sodas since October 5. At this point, it is very easy now to keep going. I don't miss the soda at all any more. At somewhere around the four-month mark, if I remember correctly, the cravings almost completely went away.

Weight goes back and forth and with recent exercise it's hard to get a handle on how much fat I'm losing in comparison to adding muscle, but overall I seem to be losing about a half-pound a month just from this alone, which is much better than the gaining weight trend I was on before starting this.

JeeberD
03-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Stil haven't had any soda (except for that one tiny accidental sip at work) since the thread started... :)

Godzilla Blitz
03-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Be nice to see an updated list. (Hint hint, nudge nudge) :)

I can try to do it if you don't have time, Radii.

Radii
03-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Be nice to see an updated list. (Hint hint, nudge nudge) :)

I can try to do it if you don't have time, Radii.

I'll go through it during work tomorrow and update everyone that's posted.

primelord
04-07-2006, 10:56 PM
So we're all back on soda then? :)

JeeberD
04-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Heh, no. I had a tough test at the Rangers game last night. We were in the company suite for the company my fiancee works for and they had some free drinks. Problem was, they were all sodas. I could have gone for beer, but you had to order a six pack, which was a minimum of $24. Screw that. Luckily, there were cups and ice so I just filled my cup up with ice and got some water from the suite bathroom. Problem solved... :)

Neuqua
04-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Despite being an Asstro's fan, Jeeber does me proud.

Northwood_DK
04-08-2006, 03:15 PM
No soda for me since day 1. I was planning to do this until we were to travel to Spain 01Feb but I have kept it going. Lots almost 5 Kg in the process.

Godzilla Blitz
04-10-2006, 12:35 AM
I'm still hanging in there. I was tempted to quit at the six-month mark, but resisted the urge.

Overall, it's pretty easy to stick with it now. I automatically ask for water cups at fast food restaurants, and I feel much better having kicked the habit. More consistent energy.

Before, if I ate MacDonalds, I'd feel crappy an hour later. Now, I only feel semi-crappy an hour later.

Swaggs
05-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Bump... anyone still going strong on this? :)

Godzilla Blitz
05-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Yup. 7 months down. 5 months to go.

You?

JeeberD
05-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Still soda free! However, I did have a sip of punch a couple of weeks ago that I think may have had Sprite in it. Just to be safe I didn't drink any more after that initial sip...

Swaggs
05-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Yup. 7 months down. 5 months to go.

You?

I was following, but never made the pledge. I have gone over to diet full-time, and for me, that was a huge plunge. I am pretty sure I couldn't go two weeks without Diet Sunkist.

Kodos
05-09-2006, 12:58 PM
I am a weak, weak man, but am still trying to quit.

Radii
05-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Every time i've posted in here so far, i've almost immediately backtracked and failed. This time, I've got some great motivation going and am not posting until its been a week and a half off the sodas. I started up on Atkins, as part of that of course can't have sodas anymore, and am off to a very good start. I think April 28th was my last soda this time through.

JeeberD
06-28-2006, 07:49 PM
So who's still going strong?

*raises hand*

Franklinnoble
06-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Uhh... I switched to Coke Zero a few months back. Does that count?

Kodos
06-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Who is a miserable failure?

**raises hand**

Franklinnoble
06-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Who is a miserable failure?

**raises hand**

Do you mean with regards to this dynasty, or just in general?

;)

Lorena
06-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Yikes, I had totally forgotten about this... I had a Diet Vanilla Pepsi just today. I'm with you Kodos, a miserable failure :o

JeeberD
06-30-2006, 05:32 PM
So does that mean I'm the weiner? YAY!

So where's my prize?

Northwood_DK
06-30-2006, 05:43 PM
*raises hand*

Its water all the way for me now (and coffee). Guess its getting close to 9 months now.

Terps
06-30-2006, 07:06 PM
I didn't post in this thread in the beginning, but I've been off of soda since around when the thread started.

Passacaglia
06-30-2006, 07:49 PM
I gave up along time ago (I think my last post documents this), but I should really go back on it -- don't want to be a fattie at my wedding!

Godzilla Blitz
07-23-2006, 02:19 PM
So does that mean I'm the weiner? YAY!

So where's my prize?

I'm still hanging in there.

Was in Japan for a few weeks, unable to read the forums for a bit. Very tempted to quit this while over there, because I like sampling unusual sodas in different countries.

Nevertheless, I really hope I can make it the rest of the way. Over 9 months down.

RPI-Fan
07-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately I started drinking soda again when I realized how much more expensive orange juice & milk were than it.

Now that that's not much of an issue any more, I'm easing my way back into the no-soda thing. I still have it when I'm at a restaurant, or something, but I'm no longer keeping any at home.

Godzilla Blitz
07-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Wow. I just weighed myself this morning for the first time in more than a month. I've lost five pounds since I started doing this in October. There have been swings up and down, of course, but I seem to be losing about a half pound/month on average. There is clear movement downward in weight.

That's not much, I realize, but I was only about 12 pounds over my ideal weight to start with, and this is the first year in the past four years that I haven't added a pound or two.

I think I've exercised about the same amount as last year. Giving up soda is the only consistent change that I have made in diet.

JeeberD
08-02-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm still hanging in there.

Was in Japan for a few weeks, unable to read the forums for a bit. Very tempted to quit this while over there, because I like sampling unusual sodas in different countries.

Nevertheless, I really hope I can make it the rest of the way. Over 9 months down.

I'm worried about if I'm going to be able to keep this up while I'm in Barbados for my honeymoon in a few weeks. I haven't heard or read anything saying that you shouldn't drink the water there, but I have heard that it's a very European island, and they don't drink much water besides the expensive bottled kind.

JeeberD
08-28-2006, 02:06 PM
H2O was plentiful in barbados, so there was no soda temptation. Just another month or so to go!

SackAttack
08-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Don't worry, Jeebs. I'll drink the Mountain Dew for you. Go get 'em!

Godzilla Blitz
08-29-2006, 12:01 PM
H2O was plentiful in barbados, so there was no soda temptation. Just another month or so to go!

Way to go, Jeebs! Congrats on getting married, as well. We're in the home stretch now.

It's funny, though, the other day I was at an Eddington's (soup and sandwich place) for lunch. Before, this would have been an automatic soda spot. But it never even crossed my mind to get a soda. I automatically got water. I realized that I had broken the addiction.

Now watch, this week I'll pull a Koren Robinson...

JeeberD
09-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Just one week until my year is up...can I resist temptation for seven more days?

Toddzilla
09-19-2006, 06:54 AM
Wow - this is my first time reading this thread through, and I'm pretty impressed. Those of you who have stuck by the no-soda plan should be very proud. Those who have not, well, I wouldn't call you a failure, and you're certainly not miserable. It is kinda hard to fathom how addictive something as meaningless as a soda can be.

Me?

Well, I gave up regular soda about 8 years ago when I tried Adkins for the first time. Switched to diet soda which I absolutely hated. I was on the diet for about 6 months - then one of my senior managers who was the Adkins hard-core guru dropped dead of a heart attack (this was 1998 when lots of bacon and meat were the rage) - lost some weight and stopped. But I never switched back to regular soda. Too sugary. I got used to the taste of nutrasweet, even though I still don't like it. I worked at a dot.com for about 18 months back in 2002 and they provided us with free food and soda, and it was here that I discovered Diet Mountain Dew. All the DMD I could drink! I was up to 6-8 sodas a day. I got laid-off as the company went under and cut back to 1-2 a day. Today I'll have a DMD in the morning on my drive to work to wake up, and I'll have another on the way home to keep my eyes open. At restaurants I'll have ice tea, and at work the soda machine only offers coke, diet coke, and sprite at 75-cents a can, so I drink water.

Strangely - hypocritically? - we do not let our 4-year-old daughter drink sodas. I'll give her a little sip of my DMD - which she calls "Daddy Drink" - but she doens't like the taste. It reminds me of the parents who let their kids sip their beers, and it makes me feel like a heel. She only likes to drink water or milk.

JeeberD
09-26-2006, 06:50 AM
And yesterday was one year!

Anyone think that I can make it two?

Godzilla Blitz
09-26-2006, 11:23 AM
And yesterday was one year!

Anyone think that I can make it two?

Congratulations! Well done!

Are you going to try for two?

I think I'm going to try to allow myself one soda a week. As much as I don't crave soda, I really like Cherry Coke.

I might try to give up chocolate or something next year.

Kodos
09-26-2006, 11:59 AM
My problem is that Cherry Coke is my favorite drink on the planet. :(

JeeberD
09-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Congratulations! Well done!

Are you going to try for two?

Thanks! And sure, why not?