PDA

View Full Version : Under the Papal Banner: County of Orvieto (CK Dynasty)

Izulde
11-19-2005, 04:07 AM
"These Normans and Greeks are a menace! Italy must belong to the Italians!"

Pietro Mezzabarba, the bushy-bearded Bishop of Firenze, chuckled at his friend's angry, impassioned words. Taking a sip of wine from his pewter chalice, he remarked mildly, "Oh, it isn't just the Normans and the Greeks, old friend. A German holds the title of King of Italy and there are several of his countrymen in the land."

"That is precisely what I mean!" spat Iacopo Orsini, the Count of Orvieto, his chubby cheeks burnishing red with his ire, "They are polluting a land that should be only for Italians and no other foul ilk!"

The bishop smiled and drank some more of the finest wine Orvieto had to offer, his brown eyes aglimmer with amusement, "And I suppose you are going to take on this task? The Duchess, my liege lady, is in far better position than you to purge Italy of its impurities. Not only does she have large... tracts of land, but she also has the fealty of many vassals."

"That bitch Mathilde has no ice in her veins! She is a milksop, a big, dumb cow who is all breasts and no brains!" retorted the aggravated Count as he grabbed a leg of mutton from the nearby table and tore savagely into it with his teeth.

While his companion was occupied with eating, the delighted Pietro mused aloud, "True, there is that. She is content only to keep what her battleax of a mother left her with. But there is also the matter that you are both poor and unmarried. You must find yourself a wife posthaste, or all gains that you make in your lifetime will be for nothing."

Iacopo swallowed his bit of sizzling food and growled, "Yes, yes I know! But where to go? The number of eligible, worthy Italian girls are slim and I refuse to marry a Norman girl, no matter what benefit I may gain from her father's inheritance laws."

"Hmm... yes, that is a problem" admitted the bishop as he tapped his ringed fingers on the table's edge, "not to mention that it also precludes French maids, for there are the source largely of Norman stock. Too, you can forget about the court of England. Perhaps a Castilian or Leonese girl? Those tongues are close to Italian and I have heard they are quite skilled with their tongues indeed."

"I will cons-"

"No, wait. There is more. Also consider the prospect of Saxon maidens. They hate the Normans as much as you do and have been known to produce fierce warrior stock. You may wish to include the Danes, Scots, and Norwegians in your quest for martrimonial bliss, for much the same reason of strong military issue. After all, it will be the sword that wins Italy, for to engage in... underhanded methods... would not please His Holiness."

"Leave my liege lord out of this!" snapped the Count, "I thank you for your advice, and I will take it well into consideration. But for now, let us leave off and return to our repast and turn to other topics."

"But of course" serenely smiled Pietro as he sipped of his wine again, "It is a marvelous stock you have here. Tell me more of it."

And so they moved on to the discussion of vineyards, the pride and joy of Iacopo Orsini's past-times, but in the back of the Count's mind, he was already beginning to plan his next move...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/pietro.jpg
The cheerful Bishop of Firenze

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/iacopo.jpg
Ambitious Iacopo, the real hero of the story

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Mathilda2.jpg
The Duchess with large... tracts of land, Pietro's liege

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/popeanselm2.jpg
The first of umpteen liege lords for Iacopo, as Popes die off quickly in this game

condors
11-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Glad to see another ck dynasty by you!

fantastic flying froggies
11-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Huzzah, another Izulde CK dynasty!

And now, with bigger...tracts of land! :D

Izulde
11-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks, guys. :) I finally realized I still have CK sitting in my F drive after I got the CK urge a few days ago, so I got a dynasty idea and ran with it.

Blade6119
11-19-2005, 06:09 PM
SWEET JESUS YES!!!!!!!!!!

Izulde
11-19-2005, 07:03 PM
"Sire, I have here a list of eligible maidens throughout Iberia, Scotland, Saxon England, Norway, and Denmark."

The elaborate and well-developed network of messengers fashioned by Spy Mistress Giovanna Sfondrati proved quite effective in ferreting out those unmarried women whom Count Iacope might wish to wed.

With a curt nod, Iacope took the parchment and looked over the list of names and notes, muttering, "I will not marry a Castilian or Leonese girl. Iberia is in too great a peril with their own demons. Satan's own, the Saracens, are far too much trouble to deal with. No, I will not get involved in that desert land."

Most of the girls were simple courtiers, he observed, and not of true, pure noble lineage. The fact that many of them were his own age or older also proved dispiriting. With an inward sigh, the Count of Orvieto wondered if this marriage business was going to be worth it.

And then his eye fell on a group of names.

"The King of Denmark has four unwed daughters?"

"Yes, Sire. One of my agents informed me that King Svend wishes to marry them off and not have his court so cluttered with his female offspring." Giovanna smiled pleasantly, only the gleam in her eyes betraying that she knew more than what she was saying, but Iacope was too absorbed in the prospect of Danish princesses to notice.

"I see. And who is the prettiest and most capable one?"

"Your Lordship will be happy to know that the prettiest and the most capable of King Svend's daughters are one and the same. Ingrid, the second-youngest, is reknowed for her charm and wit amongst the court and many speak of her unparalled beauty. There are also rumours that she is quite good with the blade, even better than some men." The smile brightened on the Spy Mistress's face with this report.

"Hmm.. second-youngest, you say? Good. I won't have to be involved with Danish politics, then. And if she's a comely one and talented, then I simply must have her. My prestige and credibility in Italy will be enhanced greatly if I marry a King's daughter. Yes... go and tell King Svend that I wish to marry Ingrid" declared Iacope at last.

"As you wish it, Sire." Giovanna bowed and exited the room.

A short time later, Ingrid Knygtling and Iacope Orsini were married. The pretty blonde brought with her a handsome dowry and an enormous boost in Count Iacope's fame and reputation in Italy.

The first step had been taken.

March 1st, 1067: County of Orvieto

Iacope Orsini spent the next couple of months enjoying the delights of his Danish wife, whom he had immediately appointed the new Chancellor. Fortunes were bright for his household, he felt, and his fame grew even greater when he consented to have a lady of the court of no position be married off to a Count.

However, with March came the first breath of true spring, and the Count of Orvieto began to remember his December dream.

"Now I must acquire more territory as my first step to ridding Italy of these foreign rats." he declared to himself on the first day of the month.

A quick conversation with Giovanna confirmed what he already knew; the County of Capua that lie directly to the south of Orvieto was held by an independant Norman count named Richard.

The title was claimed as legitimately belonging to the Orsini family and war was declared immediately after. The Papacy joined in on Iacope's side and the tiny Norman army was swiftly crushed thanks to Pope Anselm's assistance. A lengthy siege followed, ending on June 26th, when Richard signed a peace treaty agreeing to hand Capua over to Iacope along with 27 gold in war reparations. The former Norman lord then fled for parts unknown.

As he looked over the ravaged lands of his new holdings, Iacope could not help but smile. Not only was he now a dual Count, the first true step taken towards reclaiming Italy, but there was a sight on the horizon that filled him with happiness, even despite the blight of war on the land.

For gathered there was a large group of Italian citizens, waving banners and shouting, "All hail Count Iacope Orsini! All hail Our Saviour! We are free at last from the Norman oppressors! Italy for the Italians! All hail Count Iacope!"

This is what it was all about. It was about freeing his people from the Norman, Greek, and German dogs that held them down. It was about restoring Italy to its rightful owners. He would succeed, and even if he did not complete his goal in his lifetime, his sons and grandsons would carry on his dream, until one day all of Italy would be Italian, flying under the red and white banner of the Orsini.

Indeed, his life was beautiful and things were going splendidly.

For his wife, Ingrid, was already with child. Already potentially bearing his heir.

The House of Orsini seemed destined for greatness.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Giovanna.jpg
The Spymistress who knows more than she tells

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/ingrid.jpg
The Danish princess finds a warmer climate and an eager husband

Izulde
11-20-2005, 10:04 PM
"Napoli must be the next to fall.. We should strike while the iron is hot and drive that bastard Greek from Italy's shores!"

His eyes gleaming with bloodlust and battlerage, Iacopo gripped his blade and stared into the crackling fire.

"Sire, I must disagree. You are technically still at war with the County of Arborea after all and furthermore, Sergios Spartenos is allied with the Dodge of Venice. They are close friends and have sworn to protect one another."

"Filthy pigdog! Republics are sacreligious governments! The true way is the way of nobles and peasants, which is why I have returned our lands to the rightful path of feudal law. I shall crush them both!"

Giovanna rubbed her temples, doing her best to ease away some of her mounting headache. The Count was proving to be a difficult beast to tame.

"Your Lordship, even given that you and His Holiness's combined armies may be enough to win the day, you must also be wary of your reputation. There are many who grumble at your demands from the Norman lord. Right now, if you are patient, the people of Italy will still stay true to you. Press as you plan and you will be viewed as a tyrant, your cause an unjust one."

"Oh very well! We shall wait then." The dual count's cheeks puffed in annoyance, but he saw well the wisdom in her words.

The Spymistress sighed in relief and nodded, "Good. You will not regret it, Sire."

December 11, 1067: County of Orvieto

Iacopo smiled and watched the revelers in the courtyard below as he lovingly cradled a glass of wine in his hand, occasionally drinking from it. Yes, today was a very special day indeed.

For he now had a son, named Livio. His dynasty would continue and, if Pietro's predictions proved correct, his son would be even greater than he himself was.

Some men would be angry at this and plot against their own children. Not the Count of Orvieto and Capua. It would mean greater glory for his House and a better chance of seeing Italy truly Italian.

As he looked upon the meadow of stars in the heavens, Iacopo reminded himself that he must give thanks to God whenever he could, for it was through the Divine's blessing that his family's fortunes were so high.

To do otherwise would be to risk losing the Almighty's favour and that could not be countenanced for anything in the world.

A month later, Ingrid was once again pregnant.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/sergios.jpg
The intended next target

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Livio.jpg
The son and heir, staunchly Italian

Izulde
11-30-2005, 07:12 AM
"Sire! A man has arrived and wishes audience with you!"

"Send him in."

A few minutes later, Iacopo Orsini was seated in his throne room, studying the silver-haired man in a dirty brown robe before him.

"Who are you and what brings you to my domain?"

The visitor lifted his head, nobility in the lines of suffering that mapped out his aged face. When he spoke, that same genteel aristocracy was apparent in his voice.

"I am Berardo di Razzi, Your Lordship. Recently, I was a prisoner of that foul Mariano Torchitorio." Berardo spat on the floor in contempt before continuing, "When His Holiness's army arrived and beseiged the castle, I was able to break out of my cell and slip away in the confusion. I have come here to ask for asylum and a place in your court."

"And why should I allow a known prisoner and criminal into my court?" A bit of iron ire made itself known as the dual Count stared hard at the petitioner.

Berardo took a breath and exhaled, eyes to the floor before raising up to look into his potential liege's face, "Because, Your Lordship, Mariano Torchitorio is a traitor to all that speaks of justice. You see, before his family rose to power, it was the di Razzis, my own House, who were the Counts of Arborea. I'm sorry to say that my father proved a most ineffectual ruler, the Good Lord rest his soul, and it was Mariano's grandfather, my father's own marshal, who led a revolt and usurped the throne. I escaped with my life and have since then been trying to restore the County to we who it rightfully belongs to. I was ambushed one night and taken prisoner. There I have sat in Mariano's jail, waiting for freedom... and then His Holiness came. Surely this is a sign from God himself that I am to be returned to my proper place!"

As passion cried out from Berardo's last words, Iacopo stroked his chin and mulled the situation. Torchitorio was an Italian, not a foreigner, and yet... and yet...

"Very well, Berardo di Razzi. I accept your request for asylum. You will be appointed Marshal of my armies and since we already are at war with the Norman-loving dogs of Arborea, I will take your cause up. We march in a week's time to restore justice."

The old man bowed, his smile and eyes brilliant in their genuine joy.

"Thank you, Your Lordship! You will not regret this!"

The next evening

"You can not do this, Iacopo! Your reputation is just now being restored and to stake a claim against Arborea will be to ruin it again!" Giovanna's lips whitened with horror after hearing the news.

"How else are we to go about it, Giovanna? Even if he is at the head of the armies, that bastard will not recognize his claim. It must be me that does it! To hell with the reputation cost! It is about doing what is just and right!" Iacopo's face reddened with ardour in counterpoint.

"And even if you give him the title, you are not yet a Duke, milor, and so he will be independant of you."

Iacopo grunted and waved his thick hand in dismissal, "What of it? Justice must supersede any aims that I have. He is not long for the world, I fear. We can not afford to wait to right this wrong. We go now."

"But the treasury! We will go bankrupt transporting the troops!" The Spymistress clenched her fists as she made one last effort to stave off the invasion.

The count's face softened as he leaned in and touched the young girl's face, "I understand your concern... but we are only on this Earth for a very short time. What are riches and power if we are to then be denied the Kingdom of Heaven? No, Giovanna. We go now."

She nodded, eyes shut tight. There would be no dissauding him now.

And so the drums of war once again beat in Orvieto.

March 7th, 1068: Roma

"Arborea has surrendered!"

The town crier raced through the Eternal City, calling out the news of the campaign's conclusion. Among the hearers were the Dual Count and his Marshal, presently buying fruit from a vendor.

Iacopo smiled as he selected an orange, colourful and beautiful as the words that came into his hearing, "Do you hear that, Marshal? The county has fallen. I will send an envoy immediately, using the ship that was to transport our troops. He will give me the County and then I will give it to you."

Berardo grinned, taking an apple and paying for it. After the first, sweet bite of the crisp, red fruit, he answered, "God will smile upon you this day and every day after, Count Iacopo Orsini."

"He has already smiled on me for sending me you... Count di Razzi" rejoined Iacopo.

Mariano Torchitorio accepted the demand and a week later, Berardo di Razzi was annointed the Count of Arborea by Pope Anselm I himself, and in thanks, Count di Razzi pledged fealty to the Papacy, making him vassal-brother to Count Orsini.

Once more, the House of di Razzi ruled their homeland.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/mariano.jpg
The usurping traitor, now deposed

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/countberardo.jpg
Berardo after his coronation.. I actually gave up something very important when I gave him the County, but you'll find that out next update

Blade
11-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Wow! I have been slow checked out dynasties but it is awesome that you are doing another CK dynasty! I will be reading, as usual!

Izulde
12-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Wow! I have been slow checked out dynasties but it is awesome that you are doing another CK dynasty! I will be reading, as usual!

Thanks! :) I hope to have the next update in tonight after I get back from the movie and run my OOTP online league's sim.

sachmo71
12-01-2005, 10:40 PM
man, I need to get this freaking game.

12-02-2005, 09:12 AM
man, I need to get this freaking game.
same here. I've been looking for it on e-bay, but without any success so far...

Izulde
12-02-2005, 01:23 PM
You should be able to buy it online through Paradox's site, or barring that, maybe try Amazon, EB, or Gamestop online? Just a few options for you guys. :)

Izulde
12-02-2005, 01:23 PM
"He could have been the Duke of Sardinia! Why in the world did he pass up the opportunity?! All he had to do was claim Caligari. His army was on the way and Pope Anselm's forces were still on the island. They could have overrun it quickly and once he had enough money, Iacopo could have made himself Duke of Sardinia and then given Berardo Arborea! Not only would he be a Duke, but he'd have a rightful and loyal vassal!"

Giovanna's cheeks bloomed the red rose of anger and frustration as she paced the room, her hands clutched tight behind her back.

Ingrid watched the agitated young girl's movements, her own hands rested on her swollen stomach. It would not be long before her second child came and the thought made her smile, even as she sighed and shook her head at the Spymistress.

"You must understand, Giovanna. Being a nobleman means more than being concerned with one's titles and vassals. It is more than obsessing over land and money. The true nobleman is also just and merciful, even if it be to his own injury. That is the Christian way and the way of the aristocracy as it should be. Noblesse oblige is a noble's proper path in this world and to deviate from it is to fail in the eyes of the people and in the eyes of God."

The girl turned to the Countess with outraged eyes, punching her fist into a nearby table.

"I don't understand! I don't understand that at all!"

The Countess smiled then, the set of her lips overly sweet as she locked eyes with the confused woman.

"And that is why he married a Danish princess and not an Italian spymistress."

March 29th, 1068: County of Orvieto

A half-week after the argument between Giovanna and Ingrid, there came to the Orvietan court word of a mighty warrior in the home county. As Iacopo was in need of a new Marshal, he quickly sought out the man and after ten and one half goldoons were paid for travel expenses, Alberto of Orvieto became the new leader of military matters.

Then, on the second-to-last day of the month, suprising news arrived from a messenger.

"Count Berardo di Razzi, Count of Arborea, asks the hand in marriage of Spymistress Giovanna Sfondrati of the Court of Orvieto and Capua!"

A gasp went up around the room. The very man whom they had liberated was now asking to marry one of the most valuable courtiers the Dual Count had?!

"Madness! He asks too much!" cried a courtier whose name history has forgotten.

Giovanna sat in her chair, mouth open and unable to speak, the wideness of her eyes testifying to her shock.

Iacopo ignored the shout and rubbed his chin. The union would no doubt cement greater ties between the di Razzis and the Orsini, but at the cost of his Spymistress, when he had no replacement? There was only one way to resolve the situation.

"What say you, Spymistress? In affairs of the heart such as this, I will not dictate the course. It must be you who chooses." spoke the Count of Two Counties.

The Spymistress bowed her dark head and fell into thought. When she arose again, she answered in a voice so soft, the audience had to strain to hear her.

"I will not accept, Your Lordship. Orvieto is my home and Berardo is too old for me. I shall stay at your side and not leave you for that man."

"You have your answer, messenger."

The envoy nodded and bowed, "So be it." He walked to the door and just as he was about to go, the messenger turned back, eyes on the spurner, "It is a shame, though... Count di Razzi is very much taken with you and fell for you during his time in this court. He loved your conversations the best."

No reply came and so the man left, leaving behind a silent room.

"I burn my books on Aristotle tonight!" Giovanna hissed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Alberto.jpg
The military genius, found in Iacopo's own backyard

Izulde
12-10-2005, 05:09 AM
October 23rd, 1068: County of Orvieto

All throughout the counties of Orvieto and Capua, black flags flew and the lamentations of the citizens reached up to the heavens, new home of a great and noble woman.

In a modest graveyard, Count Iacopo's hands swelled with blisters as he shoveled the dirt on the hole himself, as the royal court and selected members of the other classes looked on.

Tears blurred his vision, making his unshaven face's beard matted and sticky as they fell, but Iacopo took no notice of them.

Everything had been going so well. He was restoring the counties and God appeared to smile on him and his family.

But then God snuffed out the sun and called back one of His greatest gifts.

For there would be two burials this day. The first, his beautiful, regal, perfect Danish wife, so wonderful even in spite of her non-Italian blood.

The second, his unborn second son, whom he had baptized Berado, in honour of the old man now ruling Arborea.

Warmth was no longer a friend to his body. All that remained was this cold hollowness, an unhappy body of ice that froze his very heart and soul, leaving him with nothing.

Why had God forsaken him?

There was no answer from Heaven.

April 14th, 1069: County of Orvieto

Although he was ardently urged by his advisors to remarry as quickly as possible, Iacopo's grieving heart would not allow him to do so until January of 1069, when he agreed to marry Mayor Jiminez, sister to the King of Navarra.

The union caused a tremendous increase in his fame throughout Italy and with the marriage also came the restoration of Capua from war and an increase in his reputation, to where Iacopo was once again respected in the courts of Europe.

A month later, wise Mayor had helped the Count enough in overcoming his mourning that she was with child. The fortunes of the Orsini seemed to once more be on the rise.

And then a terrible thing happened in the middle of April.

"Your Lordship, dire news has arrived!"

Giovanna burst in the bedroom, her cheeks flushed as she shouted, the royal couple awakening immediately.

"What is it, Spymistress?" growled Iacopo. How he hated to be woken early!

"His Holiness, Pope Anselm, your liege lord, has excommunicated you from the Church!"

"WHAT?! What is this madness you speak, woman?!" Iacopo roared as he rose from the bed, unmindful of his nudity. The impunity! He had been nothing but faithful to the Papacy and had even added to Anselm's domain!

The Spymistress blushed, covered her eyes, and turned away, trying her best to banish the sight of her lord's unclothed form from her mind.

"Oh, do calm down, husband!" snapped Mayor as she tossed one of the sheets over the irate Iacopo, "Let's consider this reasonably and logically, shall we?"

The new Countess wrapped a blanket about herself and rose from the bed, walking to the window overlooking the courtyard and gazing out of it.

"It is obvious what has happened here. The Countess Mathilde, your friend Pietro's liege, has the Pope's ear. She greatly fears your rapid rise in power and knows that you seek to purge Italy of the non-Italians. This would make you the most powerful man in Italy and she does not wish to see this happen. Hence, she has convinced His Holiness to excommunicate you."

"But how could the Pope do such a thing?!" cried Iacopo.

"Because, dear husband, he is being manipulated by a shrew of a woman who is much more cunning than people give her credit for. No doubt she has convinced him that if you do not go unchecked, you will try to seize Rome for yourself in an attempt to make yourself the King of Italy."

"That's madness! Even if I were to be King, I am a just and holy man! I would never touch Rome!" The count swore and punched a nearby dresser, concentrating on the distracting pleasure of pain searing through his hand and arm.

"I am aware, husband... but it appears His Holiness is not. Here is what you must do. You must continue to bide your time as you have been doing. When the Dodge of Venice dies, the alliance with Napoli will expire. Immediately strike and take over the Greek-held county. Then, just as swiftly, attack Salerno, just south of Napoli and take that. You must hold both counties as soon as you possibly can."

"But His Holiness will not support me when he has cast me out of the Church!" sputtered Iacopo.

Mayor turned and smiled, her eyes gleaming with a ruthlessness that chilled the other two in the room, hot though it was.

"He will, husband... he will, for to refuse to aid his vassal, excommunicated or not, will damage his reputation. Berardo is still quite fond of you and to move against you will cause him to be disloyal to the Pope. There are few in Italy who support this move by His Holiness to oust you and so he must tread very carefully, lest support turn against him and he end up with poison in his food or a dagger in his throat."

At this, Giovanna paled and fled the room, unable to bear such sacrilege.

Iacopo stared at his wife, dismay in his shocked gaze.

Mayor smiled sadly and slid close to him, running a hand over the Count's chest.

"Do not despair dearly beloved. The Pope may be holy, but he is not God. I know you are a religious man and will receive reward in the Kingdom of Heaven even if the Holy See does not correct this foolishness. These are dark times, my love, and we must be able to see the shadow in everyone, even those who should only be of the light."

At this, Iacopo nodded and kissed her golden hair. But his heart was filled with worry and misgiving.

He must be restored to the Church, or he would know no peace for the rest of his days.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Mayor.jpg
The new wife, with remarkable wisdom in the world's ways

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/excomiacopo.jpg
Iacopo after the marriage and the excommunication

Izulde
12-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Despite the excommunication, peace held for the entire rest of 1069 and into 1070 for the House of Orsini. A daughter, Adriana, was born in late November, and appeared to be a most ordinary child. In February, what was fast becoming an annual second-month event, Mayor discovered that she was once more pregnant.

Then on March 14th, a new menace arose, the deadliest the House of Orsini had ever faced.

"Duke Robert de Hauteville, rightful ruler of the County of Capua, and his ally the Emperor of Byzantium, do hereby declare war on the traitor of the Mother Church, Iacopo Orsini, and demands that he be given the title of Count of Capua."

The messenger's face was devoid of emotion as he announced the missive. Privately, pity was in his heart for the outmatched man, and respect bloomed there too, when he was allowed to leave with his life spared and even given more provisions for the journey back home.

It was entirely too bad that so noble a man was due to be crushed, the envoy reflected as he left.

The next day

"We have no choice, husband. If we are to spare our people unwanted bloodshed and pain, then we must surrender Capua immediately to the Lion of Apulia. The Norman forces alone outnumber both yours and Anselm's combined armies, to say nothing of the Empire's regiments."

"He must not surrender to a filthy Norman! It would violate everything he has fought for and dreamed of! And furthermore, it would damage his prestige throughout Italy!"

The Spymistress and the Countess glared at one another before turning to the heavy-browed Count, awaiting his decision.

Iacopo sighed and hung his head, "There is merit in what both of you say. However, I would be remiss in my duties of noblesse oblige if I were to allow the people to suffer. Richard shall have Capua."

Job knew no greater trial than this, reflected the Count.

But it was not to be, for Robert refused to even meet the emissary, and emphasized this by sending back the messenger's head.

The Lion of Apulia was determined to wound the Tiger of Orvieto and show him that the Normans were the rightful rulers of Italy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Adriana.jpg
Marriage bait for a courtier

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/apulia.jpg
The Lion of Apulia

12-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Uh oh...this does not sound too good?

Izulde
12-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Uh oh...this does not sound too good?

Richard raises regiments from just two of his territories and it's something like 3400 troops roughly. Keep in mind his network is much more vast than that.

If I were to raise all my troops and the Pope to raise all of his, including Berardo's, we'd maybe be able to surpass that number, by a hundred troops or so.

And we won't even talk about the Big Purple Blob's armies... so yes, this is about the worst thing possible that could happen :D

Airhog
12-11-2005, 01:19 PM
I just have to say bravo Izulde. I read your last CK dynasty, and it was magnificant. If this one is even half as good as the last, it will be winner. And thats high praise from me, because I seldom read any dynasties posted here.

sachmo71
12-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Chalk up another game purchase to FOFC!
BTW, you can get this game for less than $20 now. :)

Izulde
12-13-2005, 05:29 AM
Airhog: Thanks! I'm glad to hear it :) I don't know if this'll be as good as the of Agder dynasty, but I'm hoping it comes close. I also hope the of Agder dynasty sneaks at least a nomination in the Golden Scribes, if not an award, but we'll just have to see :D

sachmo71: Awesome! I love it when one of my dynasties gets people to buy games. :) The same thing happened to me after reading some of the Victoria dynasties on the Paradox Forums. Where'd you find the game for under $20 by the way?

Next update comes either today or tomorrow. I'm cram studying for this morning's Wyoming History final atm.

sachmo71
12-13-2005, 08:29 AM
sachmo71: Awesome! I love it when one of my dynasties gets people to buy games. :) The same thing happened to me after reading some of the Victoria dynasties on the Paradox Forums. Where'd you find the game for under $20 by the way?

Next update comes either today or tomorrow. I'm cram studying for this morning's Wyoming History final atm.

I found it on Amazon.com, amazingly enough. Can you recommend any good starter guides?

sachmo71
12-26-2005, 10:37 PM
meh?

Izulde
12-29-2005, 07:06 PM
I found it on Amazon.com, amazingly enough. Can you recommend any good starter guides?

Honestly I'd try reading through some of the other dynasties on the paradox boards (a lot of which are much better than mine, I might add!) and reading through the threads on the CK forums there, which should have a lot of information as well.

And admittedly, a lot of it is going to be trial and error, especially if you're trying to go from County to Kingdom. Most people recommend one of the smaller kingdoms to start, like Georgia, for a newbie game. I of course went right to Count and never have started at Duke or King. ;)

The Duchy of Apuila is another popular starting point, because the de Hautevilles control pretty much all of southern Italy and are in prime position to overrun enough of the rest of Italy to quickly become King of Naples.

And yes, this dynasty will continue, but it isn't likely to do so until I get to school where I can set up my desktop comp that has my CK savegames on it.

That'll be in a little over two weeks.

Izulde
03-02-2006, 12:27 AM
April 17th, 1070: County of Capua

From the ramparts of his castle, Iacopo watched as blood and bodies soaked the meadow below. Horses screamed, men groaned, and everywhere was death under the holy banner of the Papacy.

Just over a thousand men marched with the Pope's general, whereas Apuila's numbers doubled that and more, at well over two thousand. The massacre being carried out was swift and brutal.

Iacopo did not send out his men, for to do so would be to cause unneccesary loss of life. No, he reasoned, if Capua must fall to Robert in the end, then let the Lion take it with as bloodless a mouth could be managed.

Still, he reflected as he looked on, he felt sorrow for the souls of those Italians who fought with the de Hautevilles. Condemned by circumstance to cast their lot with the Norman devil, they would burn eternally in Hell for betraying their countrymen.

Even though he would likely lose this time, he swore to strike back and reclaim as many Italian souls as he could manage.

For salvation was the greatest goal one could seek in this world.

May 1st, 1070: The Papal States

"Your Holiness, this war must come to an end. Send whatever indemnities are necessary to the Duke of Apuila, but seek peace. Your men are dying and you are being embarassed in front of the world."

Pope Anselm stared down at his ecclesiastical underling, distaste working into his face. How dare this second-rate Bishop speak to him in this manner! And yet, there was unfortunate truth in those words.

"You think that I should stand for this insolence, Bishop Mezzabarba? I will contest the Duke until the heretic Count rescinds his title. I do not care who owns Italy, only that my lands are untouched. Capua did not originally belong to my domain, so let Robert de Hauteville have it once he has earned it."

Pietro frowned and bowed his head, fingers steepled at his temples in contemplation. It was a pity that His Holiness planned to be so stubborn in this matter. The bishop of Firenze hoped for an easy resolution, a swift recovery of peace that would bail his friend out of the matter. Alas, it was not to be, and stronger appeals than the Pope's pride would be needed.

Raising his head, his smile became overly sweet as he looked up at Christ's proud Vicar.

"I am afraid I can not accept your plan to continue this war until Iacopo surrenders Capua. In fact, I would like to point out that he tried to give Capua over to prevent the war, but Robert rebuffed him."

"And this means what to me? Clearly, the Duke wishes to punish the heretic. Good for him, I say. Our Holy Church must be kept pure of those who are excommunicated. I only have fought with Robert to put on a proper display of support for my vassal, outcast though he may be. Mercy and generosity are virtues that you should learn, Bishop."

Pietro rubbed his temples. The Pope's logic was proving quite convulted and he was beginning to think the rumours of Anselm's mental deterioriation were factual, rather than just idle gossip of Italy's courts. Time to end the diplomacy.

He stepped up to Anselm's throne, bent to his ear, and whispered words that no Pope should ever hear, nor that history should ever retell.

Anselm's face blanched, then reddened.

"That's blackmail! I'll excommunicate you for that! No one will believe you!"

The bishop stepped down and smiled coldly at the Pope.

"You will negotiate peace with Robert and end the war, no matter what the cost, or I will tell all of Europe your secret. You have until tomorrow to tell me your answer."

Within a week, indemnities were paid to Robert and the war ended. No one ever found out why the Pope made peace, or why Robert chose to accept the bribe, generous though it was. It was rumoured that Anselm felt guilt over Iacopo's wrongful excommunication and that Robert wanted to avoid overextending his troops by waging a prolonged Italian war while the Muslims in Sicily were waiting at the door.

To this day, no one knows that it was the close bond of friendship between an ambitious Italian count and a fiercely loyal minor Italian bishop that saved the Orsini family and altered the peninsula's destiny ever after.

Izulde
03-08-2006, 04:50 PM
September 10, 1070: County of Orvieto

Spring and summer spread into fall. In much of Europe, things were quiet, save for Spain, where Muslim warred against Muslim and the Christian kingdoms of Navarre and Aragon battled one another.

Yet, even in those areas that seemed peaceful on the surface, below lay strong undercurrents of discontent...

Outside the Orsini manor, a large group of peasants stood together and cried to the royal balcony, "Your Lordship! Pope Anselm oppresses us with his iron-fisted laws! Can you not speak out against him and ask that the Church's rule be lessened?"

Inside, Iacopo frowned, silently glad that he had sent the Papal troops still guarding his home out on the town for a night of entertainment. It would not do for them to hear talk of this. But the question still hung there in the air; what should he do about the peoples' plight?

This was the greatest test of his own personal principles that the Count had ever faced. Moreso than the choice of giving Capua to Norman invaders or sparing the lives of his people, this struck him hard, for he had always championed both the common Italian people and loyalty to one's liege lord both. In fact, the entire feudal order of government he himself had modeled his domains over relied on the latter. Were he to cast his lot with the peasantry, the barons would no doubt press for more power.

...So be it. If that is what were come to pass, it would only be he himself that would suffer. Far better that he should know hardship, the struggle for control made greater, than that the common people should suffer. For was not his dream of a unified Italy for Italians? And were the poor outside, begging for his aid, not the very Italians he wanted to make one country for?

Yes. It was decided then.

Stepping out on to the balcony, he called down to the petitioners, "I have heard your cries, loyal subjects. Pope he may be, but Anselm must remember that mercy and compassion are the greatest and highest of Christian virtues! I send a messenger tonight!"

The crowd shouted its adulation and went away cheering. Word spread quickly to the town where the Papacy's soldiers heard of the event. From there, it raced to Rome, where Iacopo's messenger and the soldier sent to deliver the news arrived at exactly the same time.

Pope Anselm I was not pleased.

October 1st, 1070: Rome

Iacopo's stand against the Pope created much trouble for the Holy See, as popular demonstrations continued to mount and even within the Church itself, officials of all ranks, including a few Cardinals, began to question whether or not Anselm might be better off with a little nudge to meeting his Maker sooner rather than later.

In the face of this avalanching pressure, Anselm called for a Holy Crusade to Jeruselem, hoping to divert criticism of his rule by introducing the object of a divine conquest. It succeeded far better than the Pope could have dared to imagine, as nobles everywhere began mobilizing their armies and preparing the expedition to the Holy Land.

Iacopo was requested to stay home, to help guard the Papal States in event of a Muslim attack. The Dual Count, greatful for a reason not to drain his land's resources by going on overseas campaign, complied readily.

November 28th, 1070: County of Orvieto

It was an eventful autumn for all of Italy, and it became moreso for the Orsini family when a second son, Alfonso was born on November 15th. Pietro augured at the baptism that the child would not be as great as Livio. It was a prophecy destined to have far-reaching effects on the boy's life.

"Husband, Alfonso is our first son. But he is also your second son."

Iacopo turned his eyes from the window to stare at his Iberian wife as she sat arranging her hair at the dressing table. She'd been somewhat subdued since receiving word that Navarra and Aragon were at war, for she feared for her brother's safety. The Count said nothing, sensing she had more she wished to say.

Mayor rose up, crossed the room, and draped her arms around Iacopo's neck, a gentle smile on her lips.

"Darling, I know that I can never replace your beloved first wife. No, don't argue. I know we are happy together, but I know I am not first in your heart and nor should I be. But even so, I do have a request to ask of you.

She took a deep breath, sliding her embrace down to the Count's waist, encircling his robust girth with her thin arms.

"Pietro said that Livio is destined to be greater than Alfonso. Given that, the fact that he is your heir and all that you have left of Ingrid, I ask that Alfonso be given to me, to raise in the Castilian culture of my family and my ancestors. I will teach him to love and appreciate Italian culture as well, but I humbly ask you to let him be the Castilian he is meant to be."

Iacopo frowned a moment, then smiled knowingly as he tipped his head down to kiss her lightly, his strong arms returning the embrace.

"Your request is granted, my love, on one condition. Tell me where Alfonso stands in the line of Navarre succession."

"Ninth!" Mayor replied brightly as she broke away and dashed out of the room, laughing.

As Iacopo laughed himself and lumbered after her, he couldn't help but be pleased at the possibility that lay before him. True, the chances were quite remote, but it was there...

There was a chance that there would one day would be two thrones occupied by the Orsini.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/AlfonsoNavarra.jpg
9th in the line of succession for the Kingship of Navarra

Izulde
03-23-2006, 01:06 PM
January 16th 1071: County of Roma

The funeral procession was long and glorious, stretching throughout the entire Eternal City as seven solemn-faced young priests carried the golden casket through the streets. Citizens cried and whispered their prayers as the parade proceeded past them.

Among the first of the train following the coffin was Iacopo Orsini, dressed in mourning black. His face was stern, lined by suffering. The death of this man caused relief in him, and that relief in turn introduced guilt, for who should have any happiness at his liege lord's death, particularly when one follows the Pope?

But Anselm was not an authentic holy man, he reminded himself, but an ordinary man, frail and weak, prone to the persuasive tongue of the Duchess of Toscana. And her expected loss of influence would be more than worth it. Perhaps the new pontiff, when elected, could see way to clearing his name from the foul ranks of the excommunicated.

Further irony struck the Dual Count, as he realized only two weeks before Mayor informed him that she was once again pregnant. An impending birth replacing the death of the Pope. Suddenly another thought arose out of the contemplation.

"Yes, I see... It's a sign from God", he murmured to himself, cheeks flushing, "This child to come is meant to serve the Holy Church. If it be a boy, I will have him raised in the Church and make him a bishop. If it be a girl, then she, too, will be raised by the Church and never be permitted to wed. Her bridegroom shall be none save God."

Once again, the fate of an Orsini child had been decided long before they were even able to walk.

A short time later, following Catholic tradition, a new pope was elected, Bogumil I, a Polish archbishop. While this was stunning in and of itself, even more surprising to Europe as a whole was who now had their mouth closest to the Holy See's ear.

That man was none other than William the Bastard, conquerer and usurper of the English throne. There was no greater legitimacy than this for William's rule, for now the new Pope declared William the rightful and true King of England and one of Europe's most debated questions was now considered officially settled.

February 17th, 1071: County of Capua

"Your Lordship! The Empire of Byzantium is attacking! None other than Emperor Michael himself is leading a regiment!"

Iacopo started from his chair and swiftly walked to the window. Yes, there outside flew numerous purple banners, the pride of Byzantium marching down upon the town and sieging it.

For a moment, the head of the Orsini family said nothing as he only watched. And then, he smiled, turning to the messenger.

"Send word to have the troops here and in Orvieto mobilized. It appears Emperor Michael lacks even the most rudimentary understanding of military tactics. I will crush him and send the bastard Greeks back to their heretical homosexual orgies."

The messenger bowed and departed to do as bid.

Iacopo couldn't help but grin as he headed towards the royal armoury to begin outfitting himself for the campaign. Here was the chance to show all the world what a simple Italian count could do against the greatest kingdom in of all Christendom.

March 9th, 1071: County of Capua

Despite the brave heroism of Iacopo and his mighty marshal Albert, they were outnumbered two to one, as the Byzantine forces numbered 2100 and more men, and the defenders fielded barely over 1000 troops. After nearly a month of pitched warfare, Iacopo was forced to sound the retreat with 20 men remaining. Still, the Orsini faction gave an excellent accounting of themselves, for just 445 Byzantine soldiers remained.

The weakened imperial forces retreated Capua, fearing a reprisal from the Papacy. But they were not to be gone for long, for in the middle of May, they returned and once more laid siege to Capua.

June 1st, 1071: County of Capua

"Your Lordship! Count Berardo of Arborea wishes to see you!"

"Send him in!"

The doors to the throne room opened and a smiling Berardo entered, wearing an aging, yet sturdy suit of chainmail and other armor accessories. He walked up to Iacopo and embraced him.

"My dear friend, I have been in your debt ever since you restored me to my lands. Now it is my turn to repay you for that favour, though nothing I could ever do would make up for what you did to me those years ago. I have brought my men with me and we will go and drive those Greeks out of Capua!"

Tears glistened in Iacopo's eyes as he returned the embrace, his hands grasping the old man's sunbronzed cheeks, "Your aid to me in this dark hour more than repays any debt you may believe that you owe me. You are my saviour and my truest friend in this moment. I would that I only had the words or the means to thank you properly, Berardo."

Berardo smiled faintly and stepped back after a moment longer, "There is time enough for all that, Iacopo. For now, I must go and banish the Greeks."

As the old man left the room, Iacopo was reminded once again of the karmic nature of life. The deeds we perform are paid back in double, whether the original act be for good or for ill. There was no finer example of that truth in all the world than in this moment.

The Count of Arborea did not defeat the imperial army, but just as Iacopo did before, he inflicted losses so heavy that the Byzantines once again took flight to avoid further casualties.

Once again Iacopo was saved through friendship.

July 15th, 1071: County of Orvieto

"His Imperial Highness, Emperor Michael Dukas of the Empire of Byzantium, hereby offers peace to Count Iacopo Orsini of Orvieto and Capua if the Count agrees to pay 110 goldoons."

A gasp went up around the court, angry shouts following it.

"No! You'll bankrupt the treasury and have nothing left!" cried Eugenia, the steward.

"Oh ho! So he thinks he can just take away all our money, does he? We'll continue building up our troops and then he won't have a thing to say about it when we greatly wound his armies again and again!" bristled Marshal Alberto.

"Please, husband! Accept the proposal! Think of the people!" implored the Countess Mayor.

Iacopo listened to all of their protests in silence, quietly working out the arguments in his mind. There was merit to what each of them said and a downside as well. After a time, he raised his head and addressed the messenger.

"You may inform the Emperor that my answer is this: For now, I will refuse. It is too sudden to make a choice as important as this. He may request a truce again in two weeks' time, after I have had time to think it over. If I should change my mind in the interim, then I will contact him."

The envoy nodded, wrote down the answer, and departed, leaving in his wake a stunned court.

"I don't understand, husband. Why did you not take the offer? It isn't like you to do such a thing", said Mayor with puzzlement in her eyes.

Iacopo smiled and tenderly patted his wife's hand, "You have been under stress lately because of your brother's situation with Aragon and so some of the things you normally would spot, you miss."

"I must confess Her Ladyship is right, my Lord. This does seem contrary to your usual manner" Alberto remarked.

The Count's smile grew broader.

"Oh, it is quite simple. Michael will receive a peace proposal in a few days for all the money that we have left in the treasury... 10 goldoons."

Silence held sway as the members of the court looked at one another in confusion, Iacopo still smiling. Then Steward Eugenia looked up, understanding in her eyes.

"You're going to build a forestry in either Orvieto or Capua before you send the proposal! That will allow you to deplete the treasury while simultaneously adding a significant source of income to the county!"

"Correct." Iacopo confirmed with his smile.

Plans for construction of a forestry in Orvieto were issued and the modified peace proposal sent to Emperor Michael. Feeling the pressure of a rapidly declining income and increasingly restless vassals, Michael agreed to the treaty to end the war for 10 goldoons.

Once more, Iacopo Orisini navigated his way out of a treacherous situation with minimal damage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Bogumil.jpg
The new Pope, who incidentally has neither cleared Iacopo's name, nor aided him in the war against the Byzantines

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/dumbyz.jpg
The Imperial Idiot. Can you say Purple Blob breakup? Oh yeah I see it coming.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/BattleCapua.jpg
Iacopo retreats to save some lives after handing the Byzantines Phyrric victory #1. Also, you can see just where Orvieto and Capua are, in case you didn't know before or forgot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Eugenia.jpg
The Stewardess who figured out Iacopo's cunning plan

Izulde
03-24-2006, 12:40 PM
August 17th, 1071: County of Orvieto:

"His Holiness, the Vicar of Christ, Pope Bogumil I, requests Count Iacopo Orsini of Orvieto and Capua to raise his troops in the service of the Papacy."

Edged tension surrounded the papal envoy as many of the members of court glared at him. Though none dared speak out, the thought on their minds was, why should Iacopo serve a man who'd done nothing to help him? Bogumil still had him on the excommunicated list and aided him not in the least bit during the Byzantine crisis.

"We shall raise the troops for His Holiness. May God grant that victory be ours", replied Iacopo. For him, this summons was not even an issue. Rotten ruler he may seem to most, the fact remained that Bogumil was his liege lord and as such, needed to be obeyed.

And so Iacopo's tiny army was raised under the Papal Banner and sent off to service to fight against none other than the Byzantine Empire, with whom the Papacy was still at war with. As a result of the troops being raised, the Dual Counties began falling into debt, causing much consternation amongst the members of Iacopo's court.

A brief moment of joy came in early October when a second daughter, Laura, was born.

December 30th, 1071: County of Roma:

The Holy See was thrown into turmoil. Everywhere, citizens from the surrounding area of Rome were fleeing into the churches, seeking sanctuary from the seiging Byzantine troops. Doors were barred, rosaries grasped, prayers urgently uttered.

"Send for Iacopo and Berardo's armies!" cried Pope Bogumil to one of his diplomats. The command was swiftly carried out, the armies of the two friends swiftly summoned to Rome to prevent a sack of Catholicism's holiest site.

Berardo and Iacopo banded together and, much as they did before, wounded the Greeks enough so that they fled.

Only this time, the Italians were not defeated. They'd beaten away the Byzantine forces fair and square.

Constantinople trembled at its failure.

In April, a new man gained the Pope's ear. William's failure to lend aid to the Holy See resulted in Bogumil's revelation that no man could be trusted who was not his kinsman, and so the Polish duke of Silesia, Wszebor Wlostowic, became the most influential man in the Church.

The absence of troops in Orvieto, who were forced to stay in Rome by Pope Bogumil led to an increase in lawlessness in the capital county and a subesquent formation of a thieves' guild in the spring of 1072. Unable to do anything at the moment as his troops were tied to Bogumil and the treasury was increasingly in the red, Iacopo vowed that as soon as the opportunity arose, he would deal with the matter.

October 25th, 1072: County of Orvieto

More and more money oozed out of the treasury each month and the declining finances and idle troops was the source of much quiet outrage against Bogumil in the Dual Counties. People began quietly wondering if perhaps God's favour hadn't been withdrawn from Iacopo after all.

And then a worse fate hit.

Livio Orsini coughed weakly as he sat up in the bed, smiling brightly for his father, who just now walked in, "Hello Father!"

Iacopo smiled and stroked the boy's sweat-soaked hair, "Hello, Livio. How are you feeling today?"

"Not as good as yesterday", the child admitted, "But I'm sure I'll be better soon! Does Father want a piece of candy?"

"It's for you, son" demurred Iacopo with another smile.

Livio's little face turned solemn as he offered the sweet again, "Please, Father? You and Mother look so sad lately. Candy will make you feel better."

Before Iacopo could respond, the doctor came in the room and whispered to the Count, "I need to speak with you privately."

When they were alone, the grey-haired physician rubbed his face before speaking, "He seems to be getting worse. I can't say for certain if he'll live or not. You must be prepared for the worst. I'll give him another treatment now, but it's reaching the point where it's in God's hands."

"Thank you, doctor. Eugenia will pay you on your way out" murmured Iacopo. The medical man nodded and briefly touched the Count's shoulder before going out.

Tears blurred Iacopo's vision as he looked around the now empty room. Things had been so difficult in recent months and now this? His lone, true Italian heir ill? The Count wiped his eyes and put in the piece of candy in his mouth as he knelt, hands clasping together.

"Oh Holy Father, who art in Heaven, I pray for you to be generous to me now as my son is to me and to others. Let Livio live, so that he might continue the divine mission you have appointed for me and all those who come after me, the uniting of Italy under an Italian's banner." His voice rose and fell in steady rhythms, while the tears streamed down his face.

He couldn't lose Livio. Not now. For, if that were to happen, all that he'd hoped and dreamt for would be lost.

January 26th, 1073: County of Orvieto

Livio soon stabilized into a condition where he was not well, but not worse either. It was to stay this way up through late January of 1073, when a decision had to be made concerning his education.

"I think he should be taught by the monks" suggested Mayor, pregnant with yet another child, "You've always been a religious man, Iacopo, and maybe by giving Livio to the church, he can redeem our fortunes."

"No, he should stay here in the court. The boy has something of a gift for finances" argued Eugenia from her corner.

"Give him to me, Your Lordship. The lad's talent at military craft is equal to his ability with numbers and the fresh air will make him a healthier lad." Alberto proposed.

Iacopo stroked his chin as he listened to all of their suggestions, his eyes shifting to one of the windows in the room.

"As is often the case, there is merit in what each of you has said. However, I will not keep him at court. He needs a change of scenery. Laura is already promised to the Church and besides, I do not think the musty air of a monastary will suit him well. Therefore, Livio shall be yours, Alberto. I hope you can restore him to health."

The Marshal stood and bowed deeply, "I promise to do my best to live up to your expectations, My Lord."

Thus the year 1073 opened in Orvieto, with a rising debt, a mobilized and unused army, and the fragile hope of the Orsini family's Italian line wavering as faintly as a candle in the wind. Only time would tell if the flame would grow stronger or the wind prove too much for it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Laura.jpg
It's really too bad she's A) not a boy and B) promised to the Church with that marital skill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Polishpapalcontrol.jpg
When in doubt, trust one of your own

Izulde
03-27-2006, 12:04 AM
June 8th, 1073: County of Orvieto

William, King of England, died in March and his son Robert was crowned King. The troops of the Dual Counties continued to be act as protectorates in Rome, as Pope Bogumil refused to officially end the war with the Byzantine Empire. Spring became summer and with it came the first welcome news in a long time for the Orsini family.

In the courtyard of the Orsini manor, there stood a short, thin man with a thick, greasy black beard, dressed in well-worn robes that once were green, now a mottling of mud brown and unwashed grey. He remained in place, his arms slid into the sleeves of his robes as he waited silently.

His patience was rewarded when Iacopo came marching out a few minutes later, a guarded hope in the Count's eyes.

"You say that you can heal my son?"

The robed man bowed deeply at the waist, "I can, Your Lordship. All of Italy speaks of the great Iacopo Orsini, the count who would unite the peninsula under an Italian's flag. The people proudly proclaim their love of you and many tell of the generosity of your heir Livio, even in his sickness. Because of your reknown and your grace, I have come to offer my services in healing the child."

"Very well. What cost do you require?" Iacopo fought to maintain his composure through this exchange. Nightly he'd prayed that deliverance would come for his son and now it appeared to come here in the guise of this dirty, traveling mystic.

"You do not need to pay me. It is not you who needs my services, but your son, Your Lordship. It is him who must decide whether he wishes to pay or not. May I see him?"

Iacopo's brows raised. Truly this was a strange one! And yet, there was logic in his words....

"Yes, but I must also be in attendance."

"Of course, Your Lordship."

A few minutes later, count and healer were inside the small boy's room, the latter smiling down at his patient.

"Hello, little princeling. My name is Jerome the Mystic. I have heard of how generous you are and how good your father is. For that, I have come to make you better and take away your sickness. But I am a poor man and need money to eat. Will you pay me 10 goldoons so I can eat? Then I will heal you."

Livio sat up, spasming with his coughs and eagerness to answer, "Yes! Only... I don't have that much money, sir. Father, can you prepare a feast for this kind man? I want a celebration for his goodness in healing me. Buy him whatever food he likes best and new clothes, too. Make certain you spend all the 10 goldoons he asks for. I know we are poor, but tell the merchants that I will repay the debt I owe them when I become Count."

Both the mystic and the lord were forced to hold back their tears at this child's solemn bed pronouncements. "Truly, you are more generous and caring an individual than nine-tenths of the heads in Europe" murmured the healer as he bent down to lay his hands on Livio and begin a chant.

Two days later, Livio was fully cured of his sicknesses and both counties were joyous with their feasting, the healer the guest of honour in his bright, newly made robes.

January 25th, 1074: County of Roma

A month to the day after Livio's healing, the battering ram was invented in Orvieto. This discovery was to have far-reaching effects on Iacopo's plans for expansion of his domain and the happy news reached the mark of three, when on August 26th, a third daughter was born, named Francesca.

The rest of 1073 was uneventful and it was not until after the first month of 1074 was over that a significant event happened. Fearing the growing anger of his vassals and rumour that Counts Berardo di Razzi and Iacopo Orsini were going to pledge themselves to other rulers, Pope Bogumil at last signed a peace with the Byzantine Empire.

The news was received in Orvieto, ironically enough, as the two friends and Counts were just sitting down to dinner together with their families.

"Excellent news, eh, old friend?" remarked Berardo as he took a piece of bread for himself.

"Indeed it is. Your treasury has been doing well enough even with the levy, but now it can truly flourish and mine can recover from the months of debt it's accumulated" Iacopo noted.

Just then, the door open and Pietro Mezzabarba swept in, carrying a bottle of wine from Iacopo's own stocks. He grinned at the host as he sat down and began pouring glasses for each of the three men at the table, "Hope you don't mind, Iacopo, but an old churchman like me needs wine to get through the evening meal."

"Or any meal at all" teased Berardo, "And you may be fifty years, but I am sixty and so need the wine more than you do."

"All right, all right, both of you can have my wine", said Iacopo with a smile as he shook his head, "And you can even each have a bottle of my best stocks to take home with you, since I'm not only the host, I'm the youngest at thirty five."

The three friends laughed and proceeded to eat and drink until late in the night, when they took to their pipes and smoked, the conversation turning to more serious matters.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Berardo. Marino was a fine boy and would have made a worthy heir." Iacopo said as he puffed on his pipe.

The old man smiled sadly as he nodded, "I thank you for your condolences, my friend, but I consider it a blessing from God that I've managed to have children at all in my advanced years, let alone three of them. I'm just thankful that the two that died did so in their infancy, so the pain was lessened a little."

From the corner, Pietro coughed, "Yes, it's a shame you only have a daughter and one who isn't the most tactful at that. Reminds me too much of myself and that's never a good thing. But maybe she can marry Alfonso, eh?"

Iacopo chuckled, "You'd have to pass that through my wife. Mayor is raising the boy to be Castilian and I've agreed to let her choose Alfonso's wife, for she knows Iberia far better than I. I confess, I do like the idea of Alfonso's marrying Ginerva, though."

"Nothing would give me greater pleasure", replied Berardo as he rocked in his chair, "But I am afraid my daughter will never have anything more to offer than a pretty face and perhaps not even that. Do not throw away your family's fortunes for the sake of the sentimental love you bear a foolish old man, my friend."

"You spared my life and my lands and for that I will always be in your debt", Iacopo returned.

"Enough of this talk! Let's play cards, shall we?"

Pietro's suggestion was readily taken up and the rest of the evening passed happily for the three men.

August 2nd, 1075: County of Orvieto

The rest of 1074 was marked by the sad death of Francesca in late May, as the infant proved too sickly for this world, and the spreading of numerous new and exciting technologies to the Dual Counties. The treasury also continued its slow climb out of debt and by the start of 1075, it was believed that all creditors would be paid by the close of the year.

In early August, the hot sun of late summer stirred in Iacopo's blood and he listened to it.

"We march on campaign for Napoli. The bastard Greeks have been allowed on Italy long enough." Iacopo announced to Marshal Alberto one evening over a post-dinner glass of wine, "Our armies are restored and our debt is nearly paid. We shall be able to try out our battering rams as well."

"You needn't argue the point with me, your Lordship", grinned Alberto, "Let's march now!"

A claim was quickly founded on the County, a declaration of war following immediately after. This time, Bogumil immediately intervened, the pontiff seeing the opportunity to expand his domain and influence on the peninsula.

With the aid of a massive papal army, Iacopo's forces crushed the Greek regiments and on November 13th, 1075, an agreement was signed handing Napoli over to Iacopo.

The Dual Counties had now become the Three Counties of Middle Italy and Iacopo was beginning to be regarded in more and more courts throughout Europe as the man to quite possibly unite the peninsual.

But the powerful Duchess of Toscana and the Lion of Apuila still remained forces to contend with, to say nothing of the Holy Roman Emperor, who held in his hated fingers the Kingship of Italy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/HealedLivio.jpg
Livio after his restoration. Thank God I have a healthy Italian heir again!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Ginerva.jpg
Berardo's daughter. Her stats suck, but hey maybe she'll have large... tracts of land. That joke never gets old.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/TricountIacopo.jpg
Iacopo after he was named Count of Napoli, making him the second Tri-Count ever in my CK games. We all know who the other one was.

Izulde
03-27-2006, 03:29 PM
November 17th, 1076: County of Orvieto

The effects of Iacopo's conquest of Napoli were not fully realized until the spring of 1076, when the province became fully repaired from the ravages of the war. Monthly income nearly sextupled, going from approximately one and a half goldoons per month profit to six and a half. The Orsini family was now quite wealthy and looked to be once more out of debt very soon.

By fall, all was peaceful in the Three Counties of Middle Italy. The treasury brimmed with more gold than it'd known in a long time, three of the Orsini children were being educated, Livio under Marshal Alberto, and Adriana and Alfonso at the court.

Over in Arborea, Berardo had yet another daughter, much to the grief of the old man and his friends Bishop Pietro and Count Iacopo. It appeared his noble branch would end there and that a cousin would inherit upon his passing.

But then, in late autumn, a new crisis arose.

"Your Lordship, we must strike Salerno now! Count Giseulf is no longer young and the next in line is a de Hauteville!"

Spymistress Giovanna's thin face pinched with worry as she offered the missive with her spy's report to the Tri-Count. The death of Giseulf's young son meant that through a complicated calculation arising out of Salerno's unique inheritance laws, Roger Borsa de Hauteville was next in succession. A son of the Lion of Apuila.

Iacopo took the paper and stared at its information. So, those half-French bastards were planning on taking another slice of Italy, were they? This was not to be permitted under any circumstances. Folding the paper into tight squares, he lifted his head.

"Those Norman swine will not attach their claws to another piece of Italy if I can help it. We shall move to liberate Salerno from its fate, even if our armies be not fully ready. Giovanna, spread word throughout the Three Counties that this is a war to save Italy from more Norman encroachment!"

Despite the Spymistress's best efforts, it was only the nobility and clergy who understood why Iacopo was going to war against a fellow Italian. Among the burghers and peasantry, confusion reigned as they saw only that Iacopo was attacking a fellow Italian and his prestige suffered as a result.

In spite of this, the call to arms was answered throughout the Three Counties and war commenced in Salerno. Pope Bogumil raised his forces as well and personally led the army into the county, always glad to find any excuse to expand his territory.

The field battle was over swiftly, thanks to the papal superiority in numbers and the army settled in for a seige.

February 2nd, 1077: County of Salerno

"His Holiness summons you to his tent."

Iacopo nodded to the messenger and silently followed. Upon entering Bogumil's tent, he knelt in observance of fealty to his liege lord and his pontiff. How he hated this self-serving man! But there was no help for it.

Bogumil glanced down at Iacopo while he munched on a piece of mutton. Useful little toad the man is, reflected the Pope, now it's time to see just how useful he can be.

"Count Iacopo Orsini of Orvieto, Capua, and Napoli, you were excommunicated from the Holy Church by our predecessor, Anselm I, for crimes against our faith. We have decided to permit you back into our most holy graces for the sum of 649 goldoons."

Iacopo gritted his teeth. So vast a sum would set the treasury back years, perhaps even beyond his own lifetime and into Livio's. However, there was but one answer that could be given.

"I accept."

And so, when Salerno was given to Iacopo at the treaty signing later that month, the Tri-Count became the Quartet-Count under the guise of a cleansed soul, bankrupted in money, but newly rich in spirit and no longer fearing the flames of Hell.

Iacopo felt he could now die in peace, should the time come. He'd expanded his lands far beyond even what he himself realistically expected to achieve in his lifetime, his family was numerous, and his soul was once more saved.

Even better, Berardo's second wife was with child.

In mid-July, an elderly priest by the name of Father Agapito de Sanseverino came to Iacopo's court requesting to be named the Orsini bishop. He argued that one so pure and pious as the Quartet Count should not be without a head of state. Iacopo readily accepted and for the first time, the Orsini family had a diocese bishop.

Berardo had yet another daughter in September, and it truly looked to be the end of any hope for his line continuing past him. But the elderly di Razzi accepted his fate with good cheer, for even when he died, the family name would remain rulers, a baron having been found of the bloodline to succeed him.

Peace continued to reign throughout the now Four Counties of Middle Italy as Iacopo kept paying down his astronomical debt to moneylenders who'd funded his payment to the Holy See for rescinding of his excommunication. In October of 1078, Adriana fell ill, but the doctors deemed the sickness not as serious as that which struck Livio before.

Three days following the advent of Adriana's ill health, Berardo discovered his wife pregnant yet again. It was also about that time word spread that the sixty-four year old Count of Arborea had not only gotten his wife with child, but had, out of desperation for a possible heir, fathered a bastard, who, in one of life's great ironies, turned out to be a son.

In December of 1078, Bogumil died, leaving behind a legacy of a selfish, expansionist papacy and a bastard son, Wojciech. Rodolfo I became the new Pope, restoring the Holy See to an Italian, for which all of Italy was happy, including his new vassals, the Quartet Count Iacopo and Count Berardo di Razzi of Arborea.

As the new year of 1079 prepared to dawn, hope crept into Italy that the rest of the century would promise new glories for the peninsula and further efforts at reunification under Iacopo.

For he was the lone noble proponent of Italy for the Italians. The rest of the country was under the sway of either the Holy Roman Emperor or the Norman Duke of Apuila.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/QuartetCount.jpg
First ever Quartet Count! I'm hating on that debt, though. Bastard Bogumil.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Wojciech.jpg
Speaking of Bastard Bogumil, here's Bogumil's bastard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/Agapito.jpg
First-ever Orsini diocese bishop. Yay for not getting the event where I actually had to pay money! I <3 wandering people who just randomly show up in your court.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/bastardirazzi.jpg
Berardo's bastard. I sure hope he gets legitimized or Berardo's next wife's child is a son. It'd suck to have that storyline messed with by having that country cousin baron inherit

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Izulde/PopeRodolfo.jpg
Pope Rodolfo I. Here's hoping he's a better liege lord than that bastard-making Bogumil.

Tellistto
03-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Nice dynasty, here's to hoping the dream comes true and Italy is united under an Italian. I'll be reading along. Great updates!

Tell

Izulde
03-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Nice dynasty, here's to hoping the dream comes true and Italy is united under an Italian. I'll be reading along. Great updates!

Tell

Thanks. :) My best hope is that the Holy Roman Empire to the north dissolves. The Norman bloc I could probably tackle once my troops and treasury recover, especially if I have papal aid, but that'd be a calculated gamble that could cost me considerably if it backfired.