PDA

View Full Version : OT: Monopoly Bad Beat Story...

dubb93
02-11-2006, 11:57 PM
OK, first off, this isn't a parody thread. Bored tonight, two friends and I decided to play a game of Monopoly for twenty bucks apiece. And I still feel ripped off about it. :D

OK, to start off, we played with the rule that you had to go around completely one full time before you could start buying property. This bit me to begin with, as it seemed I couldn't stay out of jail my first go around. When most of the property had been bought I was stuck with Baltic Avenue, Reading Railroad, States Avenue, Indiana Avenue, Ventnor Avenue, Park Place, and the Electric Company.

Not a whole lot to work with there. I tried to get Boardwalk after someone landed on it and couldn't afford it, but the other guy ended up getting it for a little over a thousand dollars!!! Also, at this point one guy had two yellows(I had one) and two of the baby blues(the other guy had the other one), and the guy with boardwalk had two greens(the other guy had the other one).

Realizing I had gotten a raw deal from the get-go, I was the first to start trying to make moves. I managed to trade Ventnor to the guy that already had the other two yellows AND States Avenue(he had one purple, but the other was unsold) for Connecticut Avenue, Vermont Avenue , Mediterranean Avenue, and Pennslyvania Railroad. We'll call this guy player one the rest of the way.

At this point, the game stalls as my other friend and I argue over Boardwalk and Park Place. After about 5 minutes, I realize he isn't getting rid of Boardwalk so I cave and decide to drive a very hard bargain. After another 5 minutes we come to an agreement. I give him Park Place for Oriental Avenue, Short Line Railroad, B & O Railroad, and 500 dollars(although I think I may have still gotten a little under value here, I had to make a move and this was my only bargaining chip). We'll call this guy player two from now on.

At this point, my once useless collection of cards now consists of Connecticut, Vermont, and Oriental Avenues(all 3 baby blues), Baltic and Mediterranean Avenues(both purples), all four Railroads, Indiana Avenue(player two with Boardwalk and Park Place had one red, but the other was still up for sale), and the Electric Company(again, player two with park place and boardwalk had the water company).

I start to feel good about my chances and erect five hotels on this very same turn, one each on Oriental, Vermont, Connecticut, Baltic, and Mediterranean Avenues. Also I obviously had the railroads, which would bring me 200 bucks each if landed on. Player one had enough money to put two houses on each of the yellow places, but player two, being forced to give me $500, couldn't put anything on Boardwalk or Park Place.

As the game played out, I was obviously winning. I not only had the most money, but the other players had everything except their properties with houses/hotels mortgaged. I had also managed to land on Kentucky Avenue and acquire two reds. Player two had the other one. I kept offering him money for the third, but he refused. Finally getting desperate he offered it up for the electic company, figuring he would un-mortgage the water company and hopefully get some money back.

Obviously this was a huge deal, I thought, and took it in a heart beat. My turn came around and I immediately put three houses(9 total) on each of the red stations. At this point I had 5 hotels and 9 houses. Also I had all four railroads. Player one had 9 houses spread out on the yellow properties(but the rest mortgaged). Player two had two hotels. One each on Boardwalk and Park Place. He also had the electric company and the water company, but the rest of his properties were mortgaged. Even after buying 9 houses I still had the biggest pile of money.

At this point how do I lose? Read on for the bad beat. :D

On the same exact turn I bought the houses I landed me on Community Chest. I was taxed for each house and hotel I had. The cost was nearly $1000 dollars, and I didn't have enough cash to pay it off. I had to sell some of my newly bought houses!!!! :mad: :mad:

My next turn landed me on a newly build hotel erected on Marvin Gardens(with double 6's). This killed me. I now longer had any houses(although some hotels remained), and most of my property was mortgaged. :mad:

It was my turn to go again, I roll an "8", cuss out loud and check into a hotel on park place. My game is over.

Player two ends up winning after idiot player one sells him mortgaged North Carolina Avenue, giving him all three greens. Fitting end when player one landed on North Carolina's 5* hotel and couldn't pay the fee.

Glengoyne
02-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Heck you actually lost back when you gave up Park Place to someone with Boardwalk.

kentontrace
02-12-2006, 12:22 AM
That just made me want to play RISK for money. leave it to the one that went out first to write a story about it ;)

Desnudo
02-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Sounds like you were overleveraged and cash poor. Unlucky.

dubb93
02-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Heck you actually lost back when you gave up Park Place to someone with Boardwalk.

Yes, that can be the case, but in my experience if you can get enough sets(like say 3) you will be able to beat nothing except a Park Place/Boardwalk combo a very good percentage of the time. Afterall, I had 12 spots on the board at one time that cost more than $200 dollars to land on, with 6 of them costing over $500 to land on. If I hadn't hit those 3 spots right in a row at that time, I have no doubt I would of won. I had enough money to pay two of those debts and survive in good shape, but over $4000 in 2 turns would bankrupt anyone in just about any game.

dubb93
02-12-2006, 12:55 AM

DOLA:

And don't forget, that trade did give me in effect, the ability to build(and cash to nearly pay in full) 3 hotels and every railroad. I don't care what anyone says, the Connecticut, Vermont, and Oriental combo is the absolute best value as far as pure profit on the board.

M GO BLUE!!!
02-12-2006, 08:26 AM
DOLA:

And don't forget, that trade did give me in effect, the ability to build(and cash to nearly pay in full) 3 hotels and every railroad. I don't care what anyone says, the Connecticut, Vermont, and Oriental combo is the absolute best value as far as pure profit on the board.
I prefer the orange properties. Most people can pay the light blues, but put some houses on the orange's and they're opening up the wallet!

Celeval
02-12-2006, 08:37 AM
I'd trade fully developed Boardwalk/PP for fully developed Greens.

ScottVib
02-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Take it for what its worth but, statistically speaking the Oranges are the most commonly landed on properties in the game.

Buccaneer
02-12-2006, 10:57 AM
I'd trade fully developed Boardwalk/PP for fully developed Greens.
I wold trade hoteled Dark Blues and everything I have for just a monopoly on the Oranges and 4 RR. The latter would be the cash cow and the former would be the way to win.

jbmagic
02-12-2006, 12:11 PM
you guys play with any house rules for free parking space? if so what rules you guys use there?

larrymcg421
02-12-2006, 12:21 PM
I always go for the Oranges and the Reds. They're the most cost efficient properties and get landed on quite a bit, particularly when you figure in the number of times people go to jail.

Vince
02-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Oranges are definitely my favorite properties. If I can team them up with the light purples, look out.

pennywisesb
02-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Man, this thread makes me want to play Monopoly again. I haven't played in over a year.

Logan
02-12-2006, 04:55 PM
About a year ago we had a thread about Monopoly that evolved into talk about playing online. You can play through www.games.com . If anyone's up for a quick game, let me know. 20+ inches of snow has left me pretty bored today.

Abe Sargent
01-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Well, since we are bumping old Monopoly threads...

MIJB#19
01-13-2013, 02:31 PM
I always go for the Oranges and the Reds. They're the most cost efficient properties and get landed on quite a bit, particularly when you figure in the number of times people go to jail.This man wrote wise words.