PDA

View Full Version : Jeopardy Online Test

Passacaglia
03-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Anyone take this thing? Lurker and I took it last night, and got 32 out of 50. Probably not enough to get a call to move on to take a paper test, but who knows?

For the west-coasters that are still interested, you can still take the test tonight.

www.jeopardy.com

JeeberD
03-30-2006, 03:18 PM
My brother took the official test and did really well on it. He was even told to expect a phone call, but one never came.

CraigSca
03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
I'll take it tonight and realize how little I know.

Vince
03-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Huh. I wonder what the window of opportunity is? I didn't realize that I won't be allowed to take it until 8 PM -- but I'm going to be at work until probably 11 PM. Hopefully I'll still be able to take it then.

bosshogg23
03-30-2006, 03:27 PM
I took it on Tuesday. Its kinda fun to take, 50 questions 50 categories. World Lit was tough for me as well as some Art History. Other than that I did pretty well(i think).

"Which team did Ray Lewis lead to a Super Bowl Championship?"

That was a real question and no nothing is phrased in the form of a question.

QuikSand
03-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Lurker and I took it last night, and got 32 out of 50.]

How do you know your score? Just recalling the questions, and manually counting up your rights and wrongs? Or did you get officially contacted?

Mrs. Q and I each took it Tuesday night... she thinks she got about 35, but I'm just mad at myself for choking on two answers that I definitely knew, but just couldn't summon in time. I'm guessing I got somewhere in the 30s, but didn't keep close track.

VPI97
03-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Damn...I would have liked to have tried this. I captained my school's 'Brain Bowl' in high school and it was just like Jeopardy (without the 'form of a question' stuff).

Young Drachma
03-30-2006, 04:10 PM
I just registered. We'll see tonight, I guess.

DaddyTorgo
03-30-2006, 04:12 PM
damm. it says according to everything i should be able to play the jeopardy mobile game on my phone and i would TOTALLY pay for that, but i can't DL it. damm damm double damm

Passacaglia
03-30-2006, 04:16 PM
How do you know your score? Just recalling the questions, and manually counting up your rights and wrongs? Or did you get officially contacted?

Mrs. Q and I each took it Tuesday night... she thinks she got about 35, but I'm just mad at myself for choking on two answers that I definitely knew, but just couldn't summon in time. I'm guessing I got somewhere in the 30s, but didn't keep close track.

If you took it Tuesday night, your answers are somewhere in this thread:

http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/showthread.php?t=22415

If anyone is looking for answers from Wednesday night, there's a similar thread on that forum for that.

TredWel
03-30-2006, 05:09 PM
I took it Tuesday evening, I think I scored somewhere around 40, actually exactly 40, according to that link and my less-than-accurate memory of the test. It was a lot easier than I expected, some of the entrance exams I had seen in years past had scared me.

sooner333
03-30-2006, 05:32 PM
I wonder if you can still take the test even if you aren't on the west coast, if you are just willing to stay up late...

Celeval
03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
I took it as well, and thought I got in the high 30s, low 40s... but that was just from memory and I'll check out that thread.

Anyone know how and when we'll find out?

Celeval
03-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Looks like depending on a few that I don't remember what my answer was, I'm between 40-44, so I'm happy with that.

I took the in-person test early last year (late Feb/early March)... anyone else do that?

cuervo72
03-30-2006, 07:48 PM
I took the test hmm, about 3 years ago now...well, actually I took it twice. The first time I didn't pass, the second time I did, and stuck around for the short simulated rounds (didn't do all that well I didn't think, plus I was nervous) with the others that passed. Never got a call though.

(ping: Mrs. Chris, who has shown both on Jeopardy and in the FOBL arcade that she is smarter than us all!)

TredWel
04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Just got an email today saying that I was accepted for a follow-up audition next month in Philly.

I know other people here did at least as well as I did. Anybody else get notified?

Solecismic
04-17-2006, 04:51 PM
I've tried out twice - once at the studio in LA when I was at E3 a few years ago, and once last summer in Boston. I didn't pass either time, though I really thought I was close last summer.

Because I tried out so recently, I wasn't allowed to take the online test. I think I have to wait until next year because of the timing (they make you wait a full year).

Looking at the questions from that forum, I think it's safe to say the online test is considerably easier. I'd score about a 40 there, while I think I scored around 25 the first time I tried out, and around 30-32 last summer.

QuikSand
04-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Anybody else get notified?

*sniffs at empty email inbox*

MrBug708
04-17-2006, 07:16 PM
When I tried out for Jeopardy, down in Burbank, they said the average you needed was about a 46/47 out of 50. But I was down at the studio and I got a 44 and didnt get to stay

Passacaglia
04-19-2006, 07:01 AM
Nothing for me, either.

CraigSca
04-19-2006, 07:06 AM
I would only get an email if they had a special "Salute to Mediocrity" Week.

QuikSand
01-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Looks like there is another online tryout in late January... but if I'm reading correctly they are (stupidly) eliminating anyone who did the online contest in March. I'm sure they will end up with tons of duplicates - lots of people are bound to have gotten the notice after registering in March, and not seeing the buried little tidbit that they are ineligible. Dumbasses.

Anyway - if you missed this last time around, give a look.

Passacaglia
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
What a crock.

Celeval
01-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Looks like there is another online tryout in late January... but if I'm reading correctly they are (stupidly) eliminating anyone who did the online contest in March. I'm sure they will end up with tons of duplicates - lots of people are bound to have gotten the notice after registering in March, and not seeing the buried little tidbit that they are ineligible. Dumbasses.

Anyway - if you missed this last time around, give a look.

Yeah... I'm one of those. Signed up before I saw the note:

"You are not eligible if you have taken the JEOPARDY! 50-question contestant test either in person or online since January 23rd, 2006. (If you took the National Online Test last March you are not eligible for this round of tests.)"

Eaglesfan27
01-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I almost made it into the teen tournament many years ago, but missed in the last round of testing. I missed this online test last year, and look forward to trying it in late January.

TredWel
01-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Alas, looks like my time in the contestant pool has come and gone.

Hopefully they'll run another test when we all become eligible in late March, so we can try again.

molson
01-08-2007, 05:55 PM
You guys need to try to get on Deal or No Deal instead. All you need is a gimmick, preferably of the heartwarming variety.

cuervo72
01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Wow, I thought it used to be once every six months. Must still be getting plenty of applicants.

Celeval
01-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I've still got a few months left in my contestant pool from last year (passed the online and did pretty well live, I think), but looks like no more test-taking until '08.

Passacaglia
01-28-2009, 08:20 PM
bump

Did anyone do this tonight?

Karlifornia
01-28-2009, 08:41 PM
I'll give it a whirl tomorrow night, if I can remember.

Ryche
01-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Just tried logging into the test, but it said I was too early. Supposed to have started an hour ago for MST.

Passacaglia
01-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Just tried logging into the test, but it said I was too early. Supposed to have started an hour ago for MST.

The test for today is over -- maybe you can try the PST test tomorrow (I don't know if they let you get away with that).

Passacaglia
01-28-2009, 09:22 PM
If you're curious as to what the questions were that you missed (and answers in post 2):

Wednesday, January 28, 2009, Online Test Transcript & Discussion - Sony Pictures (http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/showthread.php?t=39885)

lighthousekeeper
01-28-2009, 10:14 PM
If you're curious as to what the questions were that you missed (and answers in post 2):

Wednesday, January 28, 2009, Online Test Transcript & Discussion - Sony Pictures (http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/showthread.php?t=39885)

good to know i didn't waste my time failing this test. nothing like a jeopardy test to bring the ego back down to earth

SackAttack
01-28-2009, 11:21 PM
The test for today is over -- maybe you can try the PST test tomorrow (I don't know if they let you get away with that).

Looks like they'd prefer you stick to your own time zone, but bow to the demands of your schedule:

*We strongly encourage you to take the test in your own time zone. However, you may take the test on another night depending on the demands of your schedule. Remember: you may only log in and take the test once. Subsequent attempts will result in disqualification.

BishopMVP
01-28-2009, 11:36 PM
The test for today is over -- maybe you can try the PST test tomorrow (I don't know if they let you get away with that).They discourage, but allow it. I'll be taking the PST one tomorrow night if I can get near a computer at 11pm here in EST.

RainMaker
01-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Do they make Jeopardy games anymore? They used to have one you could play online that was basically the real thing. You could play against friends or strangers. I can't find one for the 360 or anywhere online that is similar to the game show. The ones they have aren't multiplayer.

SackAttack
01-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Do they make Jeopardy games anymore? They used to have one you could play online that was basically the real thing. You could play against friends or strangers. I can't find one for the 360 or anywhere online that is similar to the game show. The ones they have aren't multiplayer.

PS3 has one, but it's the creepiest thing I've ever played.

You won't find it for 360 ever because it's a Sony-owned property. Same with Wheel of Fortune.

Passacaglia
01-29-2009, 06:34 AM
How is it creepy?

TredWel
01-29-2009, 06:41 AM
I took it Tuesday evening, I think I scored somewhere around 40, actually exactly 40, according to that link and my less-than-accurate memory of the test. It was a lot easier than I expected, some of the entrance exams I had seen in years past had scared me.

Exactly the same score as three years ago. Since I was called back after getting a 40 back then, I am feeling cautiously optimistic.

Shkspr
01-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Oh well, blew about half a dozen questions on that.

Solecismic
01-29-2009, 10:23 PM
I can't believe I brain-locked on NAFTA.

Shkspr
01-29-2009, 10:27 PM
"autumn cotillion" threw me off the rest of the game because I didn't check the category.

Karlifornia
01-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Completely forgot. Darn.

cuervo72
01-30-2009, 07:54 AM
I feel like I'm not quite as knowledgeable as I was a few years ago, so I'm avoiding the test. :)

(still probably wouldn't pass the personality portion of the screening anyway...damned nerves)

TredWel
05-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Exactly the same score as three years ago. Since I was called back after getting a 40 back then, I am feeling cautiously optimistic.

Since it's been over three months since we took the test, I assumed that I had been passed over. Guess they are doing contestant interviews later in the year now, because I got a call back for an audition in NYC in late June.

Having gone through this process before, I now know what to expect, and can hopefully be better prepared for the audition in general, and the dreaded interview segment in particular.

Anybody else hear anything?

SackAttack
05-08-2009, 01:09 AM
How is it creepy?

Because the character models are animated, yet dead. If you've seen "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?" for PC, you know what I mean. There's weird dances and whatnot for a right answer, but...it doesn't come close to making you feel like the avatar is a representation of a human contestant. Zombie, maybe.

Solecismic
01-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Just a reminder that sign up is underway for this year's online testing.

The tests are next Tuesday through Thursday evening, depending on your time zone. I am prepared to fail again. If there were avatars on the test game, they'd just be laughing at me.

JediKooter
01-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Anal bum covers for a thousand...

Karlifornia
01-21-2010, 04:52 PM
I will try to remember this time! Thanks for the tip!

Passacaglia
01-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Anyone remember this? 38 here.

Young Drachma
01-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I took it. How do you all have your score? Based on what you knew you did right? Meh. I didn't do so hot, because I drew a blank on a ton of random questions and the ones I got, I got...but there were far more of the "pass" variety or ones I just outright couldn't remember.

Passacaglia
01-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I took it. How do you all have your score? Based on what you knew you did right? Meh. I didn't do so hot, because I drew a blank on a ton of random questions and the ones I got, I got...but there were far more of the "pass" variety or ones I just outright couldn't remember.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 Online Contestant Test Recap & Discussion - Sony Pictures (http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/showthread.php?t=44611)

Passacaglia
03-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Hot damn!

Congratulations! You have been selected for a follow-up appointment at an upcoming Jeopardy! contestant search for the Chicago area, exclusively for those who successfully passed the online test. This is the next step in becoming a Jeopardy! contestant.

molson
03-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Wow!

Lathum
03-03-2010, 10:12 AM
awesome!

Ramzavail
03-03-2010, 10:16 AM
nice job!

cartman
03-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Cool! If the experience is anything like when I tried out, here is what to expect:

I tried out at the actual Jeopardy! studio on the Sony campus in LA. They herded us all into the audience area, and handed out sheets of paper and a pencil. The format was 50 questions, and the question stayed up for 5 to 10 seconds, and you had to write down your answer. Normal Q&A, not Jeopardy! style. After that, they gathered up the papers, graded them, and I think it was the top 15 or so people moved on to a simulation tryout, where they mock played an actual show.

Passacaglia
03-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Cool! If the experience is anything like when I tried out, here is what to expect:

I tried out at the actual Jeopardy! studio on the Sony campus in LA. They herded us all into the audience area, and handed out sheets of paper and a pencil. The format was 50 questions, and the question stayed up for 5 to 10 seconds, and you had to write down your answer. Normal Q&A, not Jeopardy! style. After that, they gathered up the papers, graded them, and I think it was the top 15 or so people moved on to a simulation tryout, where they mock played an actual show.

Thanks! I've heard that it's usually in a hotel in Chicago. Other than that, I have no idea what to expect, so I'm definitely looking out for any advice people can give me!

cartman
03-03-2010, 10:26 AM
The questions were all over the place, some extremely easy (what does the WWW in an Internet name stand for) to difficult and obscure (I remember a question about the Peloponnesian War). So you can't really study for it, just be ready for questions on a wide range of topics.

ntndeacon
03-03-2010, 11:05 AM

This is how the Brain bus experience was as well.

Celeval
03-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I made it to this step in the process twice - the first time it was just like cartman described, but was before the online test. After the online test, it was the same, but everyone went through the simulation tryout (not just those who passed the written).

chesapeake
03-03-2010, 12:09 PM
My experience was similar to cartman's.

If you make it to the 'mock' portion, my recollection is that they were much more interested in your look and energy than they were in the accuracy of the answers. I don't think I was up there for more than 3 minutes and I answered maybe 4 questions and didn't go 4 for 4. It is really a TV audition. You can get every single question right, but if you look and sound like a slob, they will pass you over. So get a haircut!

Solecismic
01-07-2014, 03:07 AM
Bumping - the online test runs over the next three days.

I'm prepared to fail yet again. I think 35/50 gets you into the drawing for an audition. I seem to max out at about 32.

ntndeacon
01-08-2014, 10:00 PM
I took it yesterday. I believe I got about 41.

Izulde
01-08-2014, 10:08 PM
N/M. Had to register and take it at a specific time. Registered for tomorrow night.

Izulde
01-09-2014, 09:15 PM
It's going to be close to the cutoff point for my score. Felt like the online questions were overall more difficult than the ones on television.

MizzouRah
01-09-2014, 09:29 PM
My sister is going to be on the show in February.. I'm so excited for her. She didn't win, but she wouldn't tell me much else. :)

lighthousekeeper
01-09-2014, 10:03 PM
well i just took the online test and definitely know im not getting any call.

cuervo72
01-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Nothing about the test, but just watched the episode from 12/9 (yeah, I am WAY behind) which had an interesting scenario. The leader had 26,400, the woman in second place with 13,400 got the last clue left on the board - the remaining daily double. I think the correct play here would have been to bet 200 and intentionally get it wrong. I'm thinking this would have had the leader bet nothing in Final, giving her a chance to tie. Any fault in this logic?

(as it was she bet 2000, got it wrong, and got the final wrong anyway)

britrock88
01-20-2014, 10:31 PM
Nothing about the test, but just watched the episode from 12/9 (yeah, I am WAY behind) which had an interesting scenario. The leader had 26,400, the woman in second place with 13,400 got the last clue left on the board - the remaining daily double. I think the correct play here would have been to bet 200 and intentionally get it wrong. I'm thinking this would have had the leader bet nothing in Final, giving her a chance to tie. Any fault in this logic?

(as it was she bet 2000, got it wrong, and got the final wrong anyway)

Clever...

Umbrella
01-21-2014, 11:04 AM
I might be mistaken, but I thought in the event of a tie, whoever was ahead going into Final Jeopardy was the winner.

ETA: Disregard. A tie means they all come back.

Izulde
01-21-2014, 11:07 AM
I might be mistaken, but I thought in the event of a tie, whoever was ahead going into Final Jeopardy was the winner.

No. If there's a tie then the tied people both (or all three) come back the next day. At least that's how it used to be, but I'm not sure if there's been any rule changes that I wasn't aware of.