PDA

View Full Version : House: Season 3 Premier

WSUCougar
09-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Not sure about this episode. It seemed like they were trying a bit too hard, and some of the House-isms were tough to follow. It also seemed like the editing wasn't that sharp. They crammed a lot of stuff in but fast-forwarded through a lot of it. I dunno.

It took me awhile to figure out what it was with her hair, but Cameron's got bangs now. I liked the old way better. She is fine, regardless.

And what, no breast comments or sexual innuendo from House when he sees Cuddy in her nighty? Come on now.

wade moore
09-08-2006, 09:05 AM
And what, no breast comments or sexual innuendo from House when he sees Cuddy in her nighty? Come on now.

This was the most dissapointing thing in the show.

As for the show in general... I like it, a lot... but I'm starting to feel the way I did about it 1/2 through season 1 when I stopped watching for awhile... In fact, this summer I saw a repeat of MAD TV where they made fun of it.. it's VERY VERY VERY formulaic in the medical portion of the show.. If I did not like the characters so much, the medical stories really leave something to be desired.

WSUCougar
09-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Agreed. And I think what struck me this episode was that - even within the formula - they fast-forwarded through it. Sort of like: "Okay, viewers, you know how this goes, so we won't bother with the details."

Eaglesfan27
09-08-2006, 09:10 AM
I thought it was a brilliant episode. I like Cameron's bangs, but thought she was still fine without them. I agree the lack of comment to Cuddy was the biggest disappointment. I loved seeing House steal the Rx at the end of the show, and thought it was great that he didn't know he was right about the Addison's (even if it was just a hunch.) House is more uncertain than ever, and I find the psychological undercurrents absolutely fascinating.

wade moore
09-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Agreed. And I think what struck me this episode was that - even within the formula - they fast-forwarded through it. Sort of like: "Okay, viewers, you know how this goes, so we won't bother with the details."

Good point, hadn't thought about it that way. We've had what, one person die? And no one (besides his token "clinic" visit of the die) cured without almost dying because of the treatment given like 5 times?

*sigh*.. I wish the characters weren't so damned compelling ;)... For the medical side of it, I still think ER really takes the cake for not knowing what might happen at any moment.

WSUCougar
09-08-2006, 09:13 AM
House is more uncertain than ever, and I find the psychological undercurrents absolutely fascinating.
I thought they should have focused the show even more specifically on that. They did to a degree, but I felt they raced through some other things that were more distracting than anything else.

wade moore
09-08-2006, 09:16 AM
I thought it was a brilliant episode. I like Cameron's bangs, but thought she was still fine without them. I agree the lack of comment to Cuddy was the biggest disappointment. I loved seeing House steal the Rx at the end of the show, and thought it was great that he didn't know he was right about the Addison's (even if it was just a hunch.) House is more uncertain than ever, and I find the psychological undercurrents absolutely fascinating.

To be honest, to an extent it bothers me that he was right. It just furthers the idea that no matter what they'll fix the person, even when House makes an out and out guess that he knows is a guess.

Eaglesfan27
09-08-2006, 09:21 AM
To be honest, to an extent it bothers me that he was right. It just furthers the idea that no matter what they'll fix the person, even when House makes an out and out guess that he knows is a guess.

That's the point. I don't think it was a wild guess. House is still a brilliant diagnostician, and the symptoms made sense for that diagnosis. For the first time, at least that I have seen, he is doubting his own judgment and that prevented him from administering what is a fairly innocous test that would have been given to anyone who might have Addison's.

WSUCougar
09-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Interesting that they use the term "guess," and maybe Doc EF can comment on this. Aren't many diagnoses educated guesses anyway? I mean House pegged the thing in the end - it was a viable theory, even if it was a Hail Mary pass, so to speak. Why was that deemed a "guess" any more than his other theories in different cases?

WSUCougar
09-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Okay, I cross-posted there. :D

wade moore
09-08-2006, 09:27 AM
That's the point. I don't think it was a wild guess. House is still a brilliant diagnostician, and the symptoms made sense for that diagnosis. For the first time, at least that I have seen, he is doubting his own judgment and that prevented him from administering what is a fairly innocous test that would have been given to anyone who might have Addison's.

Hadn't thought about it that way, good point.

I guess then maybe what to me (the professional TV Writer that I am) would have been better is if they did something similar, but a patient died and they found out later if they would have done what he said he would have lived. Of course, maybe this is in store down the road, who knows.

Anyway. I still like the show, there are just certain aspects that bother me. But the character of House is one of the best characters on TV.

Eaglesfan27
09-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Interesting that they use the term "guess," and maybe Doc EF can comment on this. Aren't many diagnoses educated guesses anyway? I mean House pegged the thing in the end - it was a viable theory, even if it was a Hail Mary pass, so to speak. Why was that deemed a "guess" any more than his other theories in different cases?

Exactly. Everything doctors do are "guesses" except we call them a hypothesis. During internal medicine, we used a white board and wrote symptoms down and came up with the best hypothesis based on the clusters of symptoms, just like they do on the show. Of course, we didn't have so many exotic cases. As my professor said, "When you hear hooves, think horses not zebras." But, the basic process is the same. Come up with the most plausible hypothesis and test it via the appropriate measure (labs, scans, etc.) I loved it. Most good doctors are detectives, they just don't usually get the exotic, difficult to diagnose cases that House gets. However, there are a few clinics that do specialize in those types of cases.

As a drastic tangent, that is the part of psychiatry that most medical students can't stand. They can't stand the uncertainty of ever finding out if they hypothesis is really correct, since most psychiatric illnesses cannot be confirmed via blood tests or scans. However, I really think within my generation functional MRI's or some more advanced to be discovered test will bring that certainty to psychiatry (and then neurologists will try to impinge on our diagnosis more.)

WSUCougar
09-08-2006, 09:33 AM
I love it when you talk medical.

Eaglesfan27
09-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Hadn't thought about it that way, good point.

I guess then maybe what to me (the professional TV Writer that I am) would have been better is if they did something similar, but a patient died and they found out later if they would have done what he said he would have lived. Of course, maybe this is in store down the road, who knows.

Anyway. I still like the show, there are just certain aspects that bother me. But the character of House is one of the best characters on TV.

I do think more patients on the show should die. It happens, but not frequently enough, however, I accept that as a liberty taken for TV. Even brilliant doctors lose a fair percentage of patients when treating these obscure deadly illnesses.

Honolulu_Blue
09-08-2006, 09:36 AM
The episode was a bit different, but I liked it. The first episode of any new season of TV is usually a bit different than the rest. The writers/directors of the show genreally try some new things or introduce new themes (or hairstyles).

Lady H_B was a bit misty-eyed at the end there.

WSUCougar
09-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Lady H_B was a bit misty-eyed at the end there.
I'm not ashamed to say I was, too.

Honolulu_Blue
09-08-2006, 09:43 AM

Yes. I had the lump in the throat thing going on.

Eaglesfan27
09-08-2006, 09:46 AM

Yes. I had the lump in the throat thing going on.

Honolulu_Blue
09-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I've enjoyed this season so far. Some good stuff. A shame we ont be getting our "House" fix for another month...

Eaglesfan27
09-28-2006, 05:05 PM
I've enjoyed this season so far. Some good stuff. A shame we ont be getting our "House" fix for another month...

This has been my favorite season. I loved what happened with the 17 year old and how that affected House. I think I might go into withdrawls this next month.

wade moore
09-28-2006, 06:02 PM
This has been my favorite season. I loved what happened with the 17 year old and how that affected House. I think I might go into withdrawls this next month.
"

duckman
09-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Who else is disappointed that he is not going to bang her when she turns 18?

I know I was. :D

jeff061
09-28-2006, 06:52 PM
The "Alien Abduction" episode was a bit much. But other than that it's been quality.

Eaglesfan27
09-28-2006, 08:44 PM
The "Alien Abduction" episode was a bit much. But other than that it's been quality.

Not in my opinion. Seizures can produce some very vivid hallucinations. Then again, I might like that episode because it was the only one this season where I figured out the diagnosis well before it was revealed. :D

Honolulu_Blue
11-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Glad that House is back. I've been enjoying the season quite a bit. Cameron hasn't been nearly as annoying as she has been in the past, so that's all good.

The only plotline I haven't enjoyed is this whole cop vs. House thing. I like David Morse. He's a great actor and has great screen presence, but I'm already tired of it. Outside of how his investigation affects House's relationship with the other core members (Wilson, Cameron, etc.), I find the whole thing kind of tedious and annoying.

It's very similar to the plotline they tried to go with in the first season where that guy from Boston Public was brought in as the Hospital owner or whatever and was bullying House around and was going to force him to fire one of his staff. I found that annoying and lame as well and, luckily for me, they ended it pretty quickly. It seems like they feel they need to bring in some other Alpha Male every once in a while to really test House and push him around a bit. They've chosen the characters/actors well for this role, but I just haven't been thrilled with it.

It was nice to see John Larroquette on the small screen again.

NoMyths
11-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Who else is disappointed that he was going to bang her when she turns 18?
There is no logical way to make sense of this sentence.

Carry on.

jeff061
11-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Larroquette did a damn good job.

duckman
11-16-2006, 09:35 AM
There is no logical way to make sense of this sentence.

Carry on.

Fixed, asshole. ;)

NoMyths
11-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Fixed, asshole. ;)
My grammar policeman's cold heart warms a bit at the news. ;)

Eaglesfan27
11-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Larroquette did a damn good job.

Agreed.

I disagree about the cop storyline. I think it is great. House acts like an asshole to so many patients, and I think it is nice to see some natural consequences finally arise from that behavior. Also, I think it is an opportunity to further explore how deep each person's allegiance to House really runs. Clearly, Wilson's allegiance runs very deep with him providing an alibi for the suicide. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the team members betrayed him (even though the cop is clearly turning up the heat on Wilson by freezing his assets.)

Honolulu_Blue
02-02-2007, 09:26 AM
House finally came back after another too long hiatus. While I usually enjoy when procedural shows like "House" (shows that follow the same format week-in/week-out) change things up a bit, I really didnt' like Tuesday's episode. It really felt like a waste of time.

I didn't really buy either the sick homeless guy or the rape victim. Something just sort of felt off about them. They didn't feel like complete characters and just seemed to be forced upon the show without any good explanation. The whole episode was very unsatisfying.

I look forward to feature episodes that look to "break the mold", I just hope they're better executed.

I have to say it: Worst. Episode. Ever.

albionmoonlight
02-02-2007, 09:29 AM
House finally came back after another too long hiatus. While I usually enjoy when procedural shows like "House" (shows that follow the same format week-in/week-out) change things up a bit, I really didnt' like Tuesday's episode. It really felt like a waste of time.

I didn't really buy either the sick homeless guy or the rape victim. Something just sort of felt off about them. They didn't feel like complete characters and just seemed to be forced upon the show without any good explanation. The whole episode was very unsatisfying.

I look forward to feature episodes that look to "break the mold", I just hope they're better executed.

I have to say it: Worst. Episode. Ever.

The Homeless guy came out of nowhere and had nothing to do with anything. Very strange.

As for the other part, I think that it will depend on whether they build on what happened in order to further develop House's character. If they go forward like this episode never happened, then I agree that the whole thing was a waste of time.

Wolfpack
02-02-2007, 09:30 AM
I agree to some extent. The homeless guy was an utter throwaway piece that was totally disconnected from anything else. As for the rape victim, it seemed like they used her more as a sounding board for allowing the audience to finally hear some more intimate philosophy from House on life. The whole "rooms" thing was a humongous eye-roller, though. It's a medical drama, not a Shakespearean play on the human condition.

Honolulu_Blue
02-02-2007, 09:40 AM
The homeless guy just seemed to be there to give Dr. Cameron an opportunity to sit there and look concerned/tortured. She's very good at that. She does it a lot. It really wasn't necessary to have an entire subplot devoted to it.

I agree with the fact that the woman was there to be a sounding board for House, but it just felt so forced. The fact that she'd only "talk" to him and just wanted to "talk". It went on and on and on...

It just wasn't handled very elegantly. At all.

Eaglesfan27
02-02-2007, 09:52 AM
I have to agree. The episode was a disappointment because of the execution. The homeless guy was a complete waste of time and the rest of it could have been executed better. I love the idea of exploring House's psyche more and the main events in his life that have had a large part in shaping him, but I don't think this was the best way to do it. That being said, I still enjoyed Laurie's acting in this episode.

Franklinnoble
02-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Agreed... that episode was just poorly executed. As much as I try to suspend my disbelief during TV shows, it was impossible to do with either of the medical "victims" this week. Neither one made any sense at all.

Does anyone know if this was a first-time writer for the show in this episode?

CamEdwards
02-02-2007, 05:22 PM
I have yet to watch the last ten minutes, but both my wife and I thought that this was the episode designed to show House's shred of humanity since he's been such an incredible dick lately. My wife (who absolutely loves this show) even said that she's getting tired of House's attitude/behavior, so it would make sense that you have to show the "softer side" every now and then.

But yeah, the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

14ers
02-02-2007, 05:34 PM
I didn't like the latest episode either as I didn't buy the rape victim. Was nice to see Geoffery Lewis again though. I hadn't seen him in ages. Just too bad he couldn't bring Clyde with him. :)

I kept expecting some crazy turn at the end; like her father or her boyfriend raped her. And, why didn't anyone ever mention calling the police? Hello, if the girl really had been raped shouldn't they of eventually contacted the police?

EDIT: Does the Hospital legally have to contact the police for every rape victim that they take in?

Honolulu_Blue
02-02-2007, 05:38 PM
The other thing about the rape victim was that at times she looked a lot like some weird combination of a poorman's Scarlet Johansen and a poorman's Elisha Cuthbert. And other times she didn't, usually when she started talking.

CamEdwards
02-02-2007, 05:44 PM
The other thing about the rape victim was that at times she looked a lot like some weird combination of a poorman's Scarlet Johansen and a poorman's Elisha Cuthbert. And other times she didn't, usually when she started talking.

I definitely picked up on the Scarlet Johansen look, which made me feel bad about thinking "wow, this rape victim's kinda hot."

JonInMiddleGA
02-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Worst. Episode. Ever.

For the sake of the show, I hope you're wrong.

It was the most watched episode in the history of the series (by nearly 10%) and the most watched scripted program on television this season.

Interesting to note too that the episode only lost 2% of its viewers in the 2nd half hour versus the first, which might indicate that at least first time viewers didn't dislike what they were seeing.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_9884.asp

Honolulu_Blue
02-02-2007, 06:06 PM
For the sake of the show, I hope you're wrong.

It was the most watched episode in the history of the series (by nearly 10%) and the most watched scripted program on television this season.

Interesting to note too that the episode only lost 2% of its viewers in the 2nd half hour versus the first, which might indicate that at least first time viewers didn't dislike what they were seeing.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_9884.asp

I'm not too surprised by that 2% figure. I am not sure if a first time viewer would be as turned off by the episode as someone who watches the show regularly. Even at its worst, "House" is better than 95% of the crap out there. Hughe Laurie was great as always.

jeff061
02-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Not that it hasn't been mentioned, but zero character growth from the inception of this series is starting to turn me off. They could just get rid of his three minions and the show wouldn't suffer all that much. It's like they got lightning in a bottle and don't want to risk losing it by changing anything at all.

Eaglesfan27
02-03-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm really enjoying tonight's episode. I think they've done a really good job of adding a twist to the usual formula. Also, like House, I really like this week's guest.

DaddyTorgo
02-03-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm really enjoying tonight's episode. I think they've done a really good job of adding a twist to the usual formula. Also, like House, I really like this week's guest.

ditto

Eaglesfan27
02-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Surprising ending. One of my favorite episodes this year.

Radii
02-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Surprising ending. One of my favorite episodes this year.

completely agree, they do such a great job of adding character development just at the right time to make sure the show doesn't get stale and become too repetitive.

DaddyTorgo
02-03-2008, 10:45 PM
man I better stop reading. I'm not up to the ending yet

Eaglesfan27
02-03-2008, 10:56 PM
man I better stop reading. I'm not up to the ending yet

That is why I kept it vague.

DaddyTorgo
02-03-2008, 11:05 PM
well thanky to you sir

Vince
02-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Anyone mind PM-ing me a synopsis of the evening's show (including the ending)? I don't watch, but I saw enough damned commercials today to be intrigued.

Eaglesfan27
02-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Sending now.

WSUCougar
02-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Mmmm, urine.

FrogMan
02-04-2008, 02:53 PM
"explain him how to tap the keg"

:D

FM

Eaglesfan27
05-15-2008, 01:56 PM
I've been meaning to post in this thread all day, but just had a chance to search it out:

Mrs. E and I both agreed that this week's House episode was the best we've ever seen in the series. I don't want to reveal too much for anyone who still has it on the DVR/TIVO or who might track it down on the internet, but it is an episode that searches heavily into House's subconscious. It was brilliantly acted by Hugh Laurie, great camera work, and excellent direction as well as a great story. One of the best hours of TV I've seen on non-cable this year.

ISiddiqui
05-15-2008, 02:00 PM
I still think "Three Stories" was better. But this was pretty good.

Though I'm not sure if a cracked skull would have you running all around as it did with House

Eaglesfan27
05-15-2008, 02:04 PM
I still think "Three Stories" was better. But this was pretty good.

Though I'm not sure if a cracked skull would have you running all around as it did with House

True. Also, I disagree with them sending him home to sleep with his concussion and his cracked head, but I overlook the medically wrong stuff and enjoy the show for what it is. "Three Stories" was a great episode as well.

Radii
05-20-2008, 02:48 AM
So I had all 5 episodes that started after the writers strike ended on the DVR but hadn't seen any of them yet. A buddy of mine almost spoiled the finale so I decided I'd start catching up on them. I ended up watching all 5 of them tonight, the final two episodes were just spectacular. Tonight's finale was, without giving anything away hopefully, very moving given my attachment to the characters they've been developing since day 1.

RainMaker
05-20-2008, 03:30 AM
Tonight's finale was odd. I kept waiting for him to figure out her problem and fix her. I'm kind of glad they had someone die. Don't think they had anyone all season die. Hospital shows need some stories like this.

I was a HUGE fan of this show the first few seasons, but just didn't like this one at all. Outside of Kal Penn, I don't like the new characters at all and preferred the other guys from his team. The storylines are just getting so far out there that it's getting tiresome. I mean the guy gets a serious concussion, cracked skull, overdoses on ahlzeihmers medication, has a heart attack, and is then walking around the hospital making diagnosis within a few hours.

The show was better when he was more controlled, had less craziness. They have some interesting storylines for next season to build on, I just hope they tone down the crap that made this season the worst so far. The soap opera episode this season was almost the end for me with this show.

rowech
05-20-2008, 04:49 AM
When you think about those two episodes together, I think they're probably the best TV I've seen all season. I don't think this was the best season for House but I still believe it to be the best show on TV.

Eaglesfan27
05-20-2008, 08:01 AM
When you think about those two episodes together, I think they're probably the best TV I've seen all season. I don't think this was the best season for House but I still believe it to be the best show on TV.

Agreed. Watched last night's show when I got home last night and that was a terrific finale. It will be interesting to see how this transforms Wilson as well as the Wilson-House relationship and how that changes House. Great episode.

RedHawk00
05-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Good finale, very much interested in many things...
how 13 changes throughout the next season because of her diagnosis
how the conversation House had on the bus with Amber at the end changes him.
and our course the house-wilson relationship

Crim
05-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Tell ya what. I thought there were holes in the finale, like there usually are in this sort of show, but I really thought it was well acted, well directed, and well done. I'll miss Amber as a character, though.

Any chance she can come back as a spectral Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon character next season? (j/k... sort of.)

RainMaker
05-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Tell ya what. I thought there were holes in the finale, like there usually are in this sort of show, but I really thought it was well acted, well directed, and well done. I'll miss Amber as a character, though.

Any chance she can come back as a spectral Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon character next season? (j/k... sort of.)
I actually wouldn't be surprised if she plays a role in House's head and kind of haunts/helps him along. They can use the severe trauma he's had with his head as an excuse for it.

Kevin
05-21-2008, 05:35 AM
Probably she'll just turn up in the shower with Bobby Ewing.

WSUCougar
05-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Tonight's finale was odd. I kept waiting for him to figure out her problem and fix her. I'm kind of glad they had someone die. Don't think they had anyone all season die. Hospital shows need some stories like this.

I was a HUGE fan of this show the first few seasons, but just didn't like this one at all. Outside of Kal Penn, I don't like the new characters at all and preferred the other guys from his team. The storylines are just getting so far out there that it's getting tiresome. I mean the guy gets a serious concussion, cracked skull, overdoses on ahlzeihmers medication, has a heart attack, and is then walking around the hospital making diagnosis within a few hours.

The show was better when he was more controlled, had less craziness. They have some interesting storylines for next season to build on, I just hope they tone down the crap that made this season the worst so far. The soap opera episode this season was almost the end for me with this show.
I feel the same way.

The diagnosis aspects of each episode have become rather silly, IMO. Guess, counter-guess, be proven wrong, repeat.

I do like many of the characters, but next season will have to start off well or I will probably bail.

Lathum
09-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Just caught up on all of season 4 thrugh netflix.

The end was amazing, my wife was bawling through most of it.

For my money House is easily the best characture on TV right now

Lathum
09-29-2008, 11:30 PM
dola- I never much considered the actor who plays Wilson one way or the other, but he was absolutly increadable

Jas_lov
01-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Is anyone watching Season 5? I thought the last season ended pretty well but this season has been average at best. Tonight's episode was terrible.

We really need Thirteen to die, Taub to succeed at commiting suicide, and the old team to get back together. Kal Penn is ok so he can stay. We need much more Wilson-House interaction, more House doing clinic duty, and more interesting cases. Tonight's case was boring.

Cameron as House's boss may be a nice temporary change of pace, but they really need to go back to the old formula or they'll run this once brilliant show into the ground. At least there's still the re-runs on USA to remind us how good the show was.

ISiddiqui
01-19-2009, 11:22 PM
I, for one, liked the episode. Especially the ending, when Foreman is trapped in a dilemma, knowing 13 is on the placebo, and House realizes he did cause the pipe to leak.

I've always like Taub and his snark, but I think they are underusing Kal Penn. Or, at the very least, not giving him that much depth as a character.

As for Cameron, Chase, etc, that story line had really run its course. If they kept to the old formula, the show would have been basically on last legs now, rather than still being very high in the ratings.

DaddyTorgo
01-19-2009, 11:26 PM
I, for one, liked the episode. Especially the ending, when Foreman is trapped in a dilemma, knowing 13 is on the placebo, and House realizes he did cause the pipe to leak.

I've always like Taub and his snark, but I think they are underusing Kal Penn. Or, at the very least, not giving him that much depth as a character.

As for Cameron, Chase, etc, that story line had really run its course. If they kept to the old formula, the show would have been basically on last legs now, rather than still being very high in the ratings.

I agree. The ending of this one was great. I think Kai Penn's character is great, because he more than any of the others understands WTF House is up to.

More Wilson though please.

Jas_lov
01-20-2009, 07:05 AM
You liked that boring case and Taub? Ok, but don't you agree that House doing clinic duty and Wilson-House were some of the best parts of the show? And now they completely eliminated all of that because there are 70 characters who need screen time.

Thirteen, Taub, Kuetner, House, Foreman, don't forget about Chase and Cameron for 30 seconds, Wilson, Cuddy and her fake baby. It all started to go downhill with that Tritter storyline. And what about the episode this season where House gives back the gun? Just terrible.

Alan T
01-20-2009, 07:37 AM
House is still my favorite show on tv, and is almost the only one that I put aside my computer and don't do any work so I can focus entirely on the show. I like 13 and Taub just fine, the show has always been best though when it is House + Wilson, so it could use more of that, but I understand why they backed off on it as it was becoming almost too routine even.

I never really liked Cameron and Chase too much anyhows, so the new staff isn't any worse to me.

Eaglesfan27
01-20-2009, 07:50 AM
As usual, I disagree with Jas. I thought it was a very good show last night. I love Foreman's dilemma. He has already manipulated the schedule of a patient which is a minor-moderate ethical violation. He is now faced with a very serious decision that could cost him his license or at the very least a massive law suit. Foreman has always been a career first type of guy, I think it will be an interesting fall out either way.

This is still my favorite show on TV. I loved the ending last night where it turned out House was responsible for his pipe issue after all.

As far as the staff changes, I liked Cameron and would like to see her more and it looks like I'll get my wish with Cuddy's decision. However, I always disliked Chase and think any one of the new group are a major upgrade over him.

ISiddiqui
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
You liked that boring case and Taub? Ok, but don't you agree that House doing clinic duty and Wilson-House were some of the best parts of the show? And now they completely eliminated all of that because there are 70 characters who need screen time.

I doubt it's because of 3 new characters. There was plenty of room for Wilson earlier on in the season, when House was trying to get him back (and the great PI character). I think they are trying out some new things. House, MD was pilloried in its first two seasons for being waaaay too formulaic and I like that they are moving in different directions a bit. Don't worry, Wilson will be back.

And Hell, in interviews, Robert Sean Leonard basically has said he loves his 2 or 3 scene role because of how little work it ends up being.

And what about the episode this season where House gives back the gun? Just terrible.

Different strokes... I thought that episode was great. One of the breaking out of the formula ones.

ISiddiqui
01-20-2009, 08:08 AM
As far as the staff changes, I liked Cameron and would like to see her more and it looks like I'll get my wish with Cuddy's decision. However, I always disliked Chase and think any one of the new group are a major upgrade over him.

The problem with Cameron usually is that they've gone so far down the path with Chase as the romantic interest that they can't disintangle that. At least not easily.

DaddyTorgo
01-20-2009, 08:15 AM
As usual, I disagree with Jas. I thought it was a very good show last night. I love Foreman's dilemma. He has already manipulated the schedule of a patient which is a minor-moderate ethical violation. He is now faced with a very serious decision that could cost him his license or at the very least a massive law suit. Foreman has always been a career first type of guy, I think it will be an interesting fall out either way.

This is still my favorite show on TV. I loved the ending last night where it turned out House was responsible for his pipe issue after all.

+1 on the Foreman stuff. I'm really interested to see what he's going to do. You can see he's got feelings for 13, the question will be if he's willing to switch her over into the meds group vs. the placebo group or not, and what the ramifications of that are.

House+Wilson was becoming almost too formulaic with "oh he's talking to Wilson...here comes the solution." It was almost an eye-rolling type of thing. Now at least there's different stuff going on - shit I'm still not even sure what made him think of epilepsy last night.

Kuttner+13 are great - Taub I could probably do without, although he has had some great moments - like the "elective plastic surgery" thing. The 13-thing has really become a significant part of the show, and I enjoy that.

Cameron vs. House should be amusing

ISiddiqui
01-20-2009, 08:45 AM
shit I'm still not even sure what made him think of epilepsy last night.

Interestingly enough, the ball scratching by the plumber.

DaddyTorgo
01-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Interestingly enough, the ball scratching by the plumber.

aaah - i must have looked away for a second when that happened.

*nods* okay, so not the most interesting thing, but it did allow them to do that whole little story with him being pissed about the pipe and all. which at least was different and amusing.

i'm not opposed to wilson+house at all, but i think it becomes more effective when you balance it out with some other things too. honestly i'd like to see his team helping out in that respect every so often - right now it seems that they're not at all, except to eliminate things.

Eaglesfan27
01-20-2009, 04:01 PM
honestly i'd like to see his team helping out in that respect every so often - right now it seems that they're not at all, except to eliminate things.

That is my only real gripe with the show.. fellows do get things right every once in a while ;)

ISiddiqui
01-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Hmmm... now I'm really thinking that the actor playing Wilson isalso involved in something else, giving him less time to do House, MD.

Another episode where we barely see him. Though it was great that he tried to con Cuddy with that picture.

Alan T
01-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Hmmm... now I'm really thinking that the actor playing Wilson isalso involved in something else, giving him less time to do House, MD.

Another episode where we barely see him. Though it was great that he tried to con Cuddy with that picture.

Don't see anything at least "in work" on imdb for him. I did just find out for the first time though that he was one of the schoolboys in Dead Poet's society.. I never even put that together.

Anyhow, I honestly think this is just the writers trying to shake things up a bit. The same as last season they pulled away Chase, Cameron and Foreman and brought in a new staff to shake things up, I think now they are distancing Wilson some to keep it from getting "stale".

I actually am thinking that it is being set up for a Wilson and Cuddy getting involved which will lead to some type of issue between House and Wilson down the road.

ISiddiqui
01-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Perhaps so... but a few eps of no Wilson-House is ok to shake it up... but its about time they had a scene together again, isn't it?

DaddyTorgo
01-27-2009, 08:34 AM
I actually am thinking that it is being set up for a Wilson and Cuddy getting involved which will lead to some type of issue between House and Wilson down the road.

+1

Or at least House having the perception that they are involved.

Jas_lov
02-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I thought the last episode was better than most of the others this season. I'm warming up to Taub, maybe he just needs more character development. Cuddy getting back at House was amusing and a heavy dose of Wilson was excellent. The case wasn't that great but it got everyone thinking about their own lives.

Sounds like this week's episode will be postponed thanks to President Obama and his damn stimulus bill. Apparently Obama has events planned for the next 3 Monday nights so who knows when the next episode will air.

Jas_lov
02-16-2009, 10:08 PM
The show is getting back on track. Tonight's episode was the best of the season and the main reason is that the case and patient were interesting. Sprinkle in some Wilson and Chase/Cameron and it makes for a great show.

WSUCougar
02-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Yup, I enjoyed it, too. The priest character was excellent.

Alas, I thought we were finally rid of Foreman, but no such luck. He's such a weak link.

Alan T
02-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Yup, I enjoyed it, too. The priest character was excellent.

Alas, I thought we were finally rid of Foreman, but no such luck. He's such a weak link.

He used to be my favorite of the three (Chase, Cameron , Foreman), but I think as we've had less exposure to Chase and Cameron, I have just gotten tired of Foreman now. I still think I like him better then Chase, but I would be completely fine with them further seperating Chase, Cameron and Foreman from the script all together.

More House, Cuddy, Wilson with the 3 new staff members makes this a good show now.

Eaglesfan27
02-27-2009, 04:13 PM
We didn't get around to watching this last episode until last night. I thought it was one of the most interesting of the year with House choosing to be a brilliant miserable doctor over a "good" doctor who was pain free. I've always subscribed to the theory that it was his pain which made him a miserable human being and not a longer standing personality issue and last night was the first clear confirmation of that which I can recall.

Jas_lov
03-31-2009, 10:34 PM
The Mos Def episode was sheer brilliance. What a powerful performance by such a great actor. One can only expect the same next week from Meat Loaf. Next week's episode looks like the end of civilization, or at least that's how they promoted it. I have a feeling one of the team members will be gone after this year and it's looking like Taub.

DaddyTorgo
03-31-2009, 10:36 PM
The Mos Def episode was sheer brilliance. What a powerful performance by such a great actor. One can only expect the same next week from Meat Loaf. Next week's episode looks like the end of civilization, or at least that's how they promoted it. I have a feeling one of the team members will be gone after this year and it's looking like Taub.

yeah, it was actually a lot better than i expected!

ISiddiqui
03-31-2009, 10:47 PM
This is why I can still handle the obvious formula (well, aside from the characters and the story arc of House's ass-ness and Cuddy and Wilson's attempt to find out what's beneath it), because every once in a while, they come up with a story of utter brilliance. I still consider "Three Stories" to be one of (if not THE) greatest one hour of television I've ever seen. And then there was the greatness of "House's Head" and "Wilson's Heart" last season. And now this one and, it seems, next week.

lordscarlet
03-31-2009, 11:11 PM

I enjoyed the episode as well, but it was clearly either a rip-off or homage to (I think it was the latter) of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diving_Bell_and_the_Butterfly_%28film%29) The first 10 mins or so of the "Locked In" stuff is practically 1:1 repetition of the film. It definitely starts to veer off before too long, though. I just don't want people to think that the most brilliant part of the episode was their doing -- it was obvious mimicry of some sort (as I said, I assume an homage, not some sort of lame plagiarism).

Jas_lov
03-31-2009, 11:29 PM
I see. Still a great episode though. Between this episode, the House taking methadone one and the guy who couldn't lie, they have salvaged the season. Didn't really care for that cat episode though. With Meat Loaf anchoring next week's cast, I have no doubt it will be another classic.

Alan T
04-01-2009, 05:16 AM
I think if I commented in this thread after every House episode, you all would get tired of me. :) Clearly loved this week's episode, and just the previews for next week gave me chills and is a must-see (as really House every week is).

House is probably 3 or 4 levels above any other show there is out there today in my opinion.

Eaglesfan27
04-01-2009, 02:07 PM
I think if I commented in this thread after every House episode, you all would get tired of me. :) Clearly loved this week's episode, and just the previews for next week gave me chills and is a must-see (as really House every week is).

House is probably 3 or 4 levels above any other show there is out there today in my opinion.

Agreed. It wasn't the most original idea, but I thought the locked in episode was the best executed hour of TV this year.

rowech
04-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Agreed. It wasn't the most original idea, but I thought the locked in episode was the best executed hour of TV this year.

Agreed.

Bearcat729
04-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Alright this weeks episode was unexpected.

Jas_lov
04-06-2009, 08:12 PM
It was an absolutely horrid decision by the writers. The season was coming back strong and it all came to a crashing halt tonight. Meat Loaf did not dissapoint, but Kutner's death was much too sudden. They should have just renewed Penn's contract instead of killing off a popular character. Just atrocious.

DaddyTorgo
04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
add to that that Kuttner's character seemed to be the one that was most effective in coming up with answers or looking at things "out of the box" and it's a shame.

RainMaker
04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Was this simply about Kal Penn's contract? I thought it was odd that he wasn't even shown once in the episode. Not even the body on the floor. Sounds kind of like an out-of-the-blue storyline with no buildup or anything.

DaddyTorgo
04-06-2009, 09:36 PM
i dunno. i presume that's what it was. weird that he wasn't included at least for a second in the show though and his contract didn't run through the whole season

RainMaker
04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Makes me think there is something odd about the whole situation. Creative differences or something like that and he walked off set. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

DaddyTorgo
04-06-2009, 09:48 PM
He didn't choose to leave the show, it was the writers' "creative choice" to write him off.
Source(s):

The forums at Fox.com

fwiw

rowech
04-06-2009, 09:50 PM
If this was the writer's decision, it was a horrible one. I can't fathom why you would write him off and leave these other two characters...especially 13, she offers nothing to the show at all.

RainMaker
04-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Apparently there is more to the story that is going to be revealed late tonight.

'House' spoiler alert: They did WHAT to WHO?! | House | Ausiello Files | EW.com (http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/04/house-spoiler-a.html)

If it was Fox's decision, it has to be a financial one. Kal probably has to be one of the higher paid stars on the show and perhaps with the economy, they decided he was expendable. I really liked his character and think he's a great actor. The show has gone downhill in my opinion the last couple seasons and this doesn't help.

RainMaker
04-07-2009, 01:27 AM
So he left the show to take a job with the White House. Not kidding.

'House' exclusive: The shocking story behind last night's big death | House | Ausiello Files | EW.com (http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/04/house-exclusive.html)

DaddyTorgo
04-07-2009, 01:37 AM
that cool - good for him!

Radii
04-07-2009, 01:49 AM
wow, that's a hell of a career change. Very neat.

Eaglesfan27
04-07-2009, 07:23 AM
I loved last night's episode. I can't wait to see where they go with the various characters' handling of the emotions this stirs up. Also, that is a very cool career change for Kal Penn.

RainMaker
04-07-2009, 07:34 AM
It's still a wild career move. He was an up and coming actor who probably had a few lead movie roles in his future (he has already had a few smaller ones). He's essentially giving up millions of dollars.

Reading his profile, he's a pretty smart dude. Double majored at UCLA and working on a graduate degree at Stanford for International Security. Would not be surprised to see him pop up as a Congressman someday.

Alan T
04-07-2009, 07:34 AM
I loved last night's episode. I can't wait to see where they go with the various characters' handling of the emotions this stirs up. Also, that is a very cool career change for Kal Penn.

This is pretty much how I feel. I really enjoyed last night's episode. I was actually suprised to see the opposite reactions from people here when I read this thread this morning.

RainMaker
04-07-2009, 07:44 AM
I loved the episode too and really thought they grasped suicide real well. Suicide is shocking and leaves loved ones with no answers. It's often times unexpected. I like the fact they didn't give a black and white reason for it as we normally don't get that in real life.

The ending was particularly well done. Loved House going through the photos and finding the one where he was a little sad. The show drives me nuts as it can go off the rails for half a season and then pull out a masterpiece every once in awhile to keep you in the show.

rowech
04-07-2009, 07:54 AM
My best friend comitted suicide this past November. Watching this episode was unbelievably tough for me. You simply can't understand the emotions involved until/unless you experience it first hand and the way the dreams go away only to come back again...just like last night.

RainMaker
04-07-2009, 08:06 AM
My best friend comitted suicide this past November. Watching this episode was unbelievably tough for me. You simply can't understand the emotions involved until/unless you experience it first hand and the way the dreams go away only to come back again...just like last night.

I had a friend in college who killed himself out of the blue. Was a real nice guy, we ate lunch in a group everyday. Decent student, normal family, and had a cute girlfriend. Sometimes we don't see what demons someone is dealing with deep down inside though.

It's the most bizarre thing you'll ever go through. You feel guilty for not realizing something was wrong. Confused as to why they'd do it. Sad that you'll never see them again. It gives you that feeling that makes you question your judgment and perception on life. I think the show captured it perfectly.

DaddyTorgo
04-07-2009, 08:16 AM
hmm - i don't think i gave the impression i disliked last night's episode, just that i was shocked when i thought it was the writer's decision to write him out. but now that i understand that it was his choice to change careers, i'm fine with it, and either way i thought it was a very powerful episode

rowech
04-07-2009, 06:45 PM
I had a friend in college who killed himself out of the blue. Was a real nice guy, we ate lunch in a group everyday. Decent student, normal family, and had a cute girlfriend. Sometimes we don't see what demons someone is dealing with deep down inside though.

It's the most bizarre thing you'll ever go through. You feel guilty for not realizing something was wrong. Confused as to why they'd do it. Sad that you'll never see them again. It gives you that feeling that makes you question your judgment and perception on life. I think the show captured it perfectly.

Unfortunately, my friend's was not a surprise...or not as much as something like that can be. Not a day within the last five months that I haven't thought about it though.

I do think the show did a good job of it and the main reason why is the fact I was so angry about it and had so many of the same emotions brought back.

Khorium
04-08-2009, 06:42 PM
After reading about why Kal Penn gave up acting (for what appears to be a soft job doing White House PR, according to the article I saw), I find it appropriate that they eliminated his character by means of a self-inflicted headshot wound.

Quitting a show like House and giving up acting is career suicide.

sterlingice
04-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Just caught up on DVR. I really liked the Mos Def ep. I am not familiar with the movie cited earlier, however, so it seemed fresh and new.

I liked Meat Loaf- but I thought that plot was badly cut short by the suicide plot that they had to shoehorn in, so the medical mystery of the week is cut too short and shallow. As an aside, I think I read that they listed him as "Meat Loaf Aday" in casting- that's not a name, that's a bad diet (and since he has a writer's guild last name, I can no longer call him "Mr. the Loaf").

Also, I guess I just wasn't enthralled with the suicide plot like some people. I have high expectations for that show and that plot was ok, but seemed pretty par for the course with other suicide plots I've seen. I expect more from them. As someone else referenced earlier, the House's Head/Wilson's Heart plot from last season took a wholly unlikeable character, made her sympathetic, and gave one of the most "heartbreaking" death scenes with having a hugely likeable main character having to decide when she dies. That's what I expect from a hugely hyped episode- this was good but by House standards, not much above the average week.

To me, it felt sudden and after seeing the explanation, I felt better for the writers because it made sense that they were backed into a corner and had to rush this one a bit. In this week's (last week's? dang DVR) episode, I absolutely loved the Wilson health food thing as it felt like they were getting back to normal. Also, the Chase-Cameron thing seemed like what they were kindof natural flow building up to and it feels disrupted with the whole Kutner suicide. Suddenly what's going on with them pales in comparison to what just happened.

SI

PackerFanatic
04-16-2009, 08:25 AM
I totally agree, SI - they didn't have much of a choice and basically had to get him off fast.

Lathum
04-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Just caught up to this on DVR. Just an amazing episode. They did an awesome job capturing what surrounds the people effected by suicide.

Jas_lov
04-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Hands down best episode of the season and possibly even the series. 13 at the strip club and bachelor party=awesome. House with the boombox was pretty funny as was him throwing the party in Wilson's apartment. And I liked the return of Amber and the interaction between her and House. Awesome episode.

rowech
04-28-2009, 04:54 AM
Hands down best episode of the season and possibly even the series. 13 at the strip club and bachelor party=awesome. House with the boombox was pretty funny as was him throwing the party in Wilson's apartment. And I liked the return of Amber and the interaction between her and House. Awesome episode.

I found the whole episode unbelievably boring.

DaddyTorgo
04-28-2009, 08:49 AM

the medical case was boring - at least the strippers in the rest of it made me look up at the tv

jas is just prone to hyperbole.

Alan T
04-28-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm a huge House fan, but this one was not one of the better episodes of this season. Still was better to watch then any other tv show I watched last night however!

I loved House with the boombox.. that had me cracking up. The scene in the morgue with the flaming alcohol was pretty funny too.

I'm not a big fan of Amber though, and her being back is kind of annoying to me.

Jas_lov
05-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Well that was confusing. So House obviously hallucinated sleeping with Cuddy and that whole night. He never de-toxed and that lipstick was supposed to be a bottle of vicodin or oxycodone. Then he went to Wilson to get professional help. That's what I got out of it.

The episode was kind of weak and the Chase/Cameron sperm storyline was terrible. Not a good season finale.

DaddyTorgo
05-11-2009, 08:28 PM
i thought the episode was interesting, from a house-mindfuck kind of way

jeff061
05-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I thought the last 10 minutes were ok with the reveal. Nothing earth shattering(they've gone down this road a couple times before), but an interesting premise for next season.

The medical story sucked and I agree about the Chase/Cameron story line. Probably not a top 5 episode from this season.

kcchief19
05-11-2009, 08:31 PM
That's pretty much the gist of it from my seat. As the hour was approaching the end I thought that everything was headed for too neat of a little bow. I knew a mindfuck was coming, I just wasn't sure how severe.

On a House scale, not that high. It wasn't that surprising or shocking. I'm almost glad there wasn't a cliff-hanger ending leaving me wanting more. I think the show needs a fresh start next year.

Overall, this has been the weakest season. Taub and 13 still don't do it for me.

Jas_lov
05-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Well at least it was better than House and Cuddy getting together. That would have been much worse. If they go past next season I think they'll mix up the cast. They could kill off 13 or finally get rid of Foreman, Chase, and Cameron. I hope they add someone next year though to spice things up.

Alan T
05-11-2009, 08:50 PM
I thought it was an excellent last half of this episode. The first half was fine, not bad or anything, but the last 20 minutes of this episode made it great in my mind... I felt this overall was quite a good season and look forward to next season.

Coffee Warlord
05-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Overall, this has been the weakest season. Taub and 13 still don't do it for me.

Taub's decent enough, I despise 13. But yes, this season has been piss poor, and last season wasn't all that impressive either. Show needs something. I dunno what, but it needs something.

sterlingice
05-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I should just put this all in the spoiler tab...

I don't know what to do make of the finale. It was definitely a "House" mindscrew episode but it didn't even feel that out there by their standards. I think the "House in a nut house" (ok, I've been wanting to make that pun all night, please forgive me) plot is going to get old just as quick if not quicker than the new doctor plot that took up the first half of season 4.

I think the first 3 seasons were so solid but they didn't know what to do to shake up the show and get it out of its formula. So last year, we had doctor American Idol and next year we will have House starting out in a mental institution.

Lastly, I can't say enough about bringing back Amber in that manner for the past couple of weeks. That whole plot device was creepy and well done. Her as House's "bad" side was note perfect and when she showed up in tonight's ep- that was phenomenal.

SI

Eaglesfan27
05-12-2009, 08:01 AM
I thought it was an excellent last half of this episode. The first half was fine, not bad or anything, but the last 20 minutes of this episode made it great in my mind... I felt this overall was quite a good season and look forward to next season.

I'm with you. The 2nd half of this episode made this a great episode for me and I thought the season overall was very good. The question I'm looking forward to seeing answered is if this is really just a vicodin induced psychotic episode or if the death of Kutner and the various other stressors (such as Cameron getting married) have triggered his family history of schizophrenia. Either way, it should be an interesting start to next season.

ISiddiqui
05-12-2009, 08:14 AM

Quite right. Some good writing there. Almost Sixth Sensian with the flashbacks.

RainMaker
09-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Anyone catch the Season 6 premier tonight? Was really good.

It was a major step away from other episodes and didn't feature any of the regulars outside of House and a short appearance by Wilson. Two hours long but didn't feel like it.

I would really like to have seen Franka Potente join the cast and become a regular on the show. That storyline would have been real interesting. She isn't your conventional babe, but I've always thought she was really hot.

Eaglesfan27
09-22-2009, 07:45 AM
I thought the first hour was absolutely brilliant. I thought the 2nd hour was very good, but it was brought down by the ridiculousness of the music box. Also, I thought it was much too convenient to have the psychiatrist's father pass away when House was there. Otherwise, it was a great episode and I thought Andre Braugher (sp?) was excellent as the head of psychiatry. Also, I thought the guy that was House's roommate did a good job displaying mania in the first third of the show.

DaddyTorgo
09-22-2009, 07:50 AM
if anyone would know about patients like that it'd be you EF!

andre braugher was great - he's such a treat to watch. man i miss Homicide.

Alan T
09-22-2009, 07:57 AM
I thought it was great, even though my wife kept annoying me the entire show telling me exactly what each person was suffering from or why they were acting the way they were, or the places where the show was not being accurate. She's back in school for a second masters, this time for school psychology, so her big thing lately has been trying to watch all kinds of movies and shows that have various type of cases involved in the episodes/movie.

I'm sure it is great for her, but it sure makes watching them with her a drag :)

Eaglesfan27
09-22-2009, 08:00 AM
I thought it was great, even though my wife kept annoying me the entire show telling me exactly what each person was suffering from or why they were acting the way they were, or the places where the show was not being accurate. She's back in school for a second masters, this time for school psychology, so her big thing lately has been trying to watch all kinds of movies and shows that have various type of cases involved in the episodes/movie.

I'm sure it is great for her, but it sure makes watching them with her a drag :)

Of course it wasn't accurate. TV is never accurate depicting these sort of things. However, this was much closer to accurate than any other show on network TV that I can remember in the recent past.

Also, I used to do that to my wife years ago, but realized how annoying it was and stopped fairly quickly :P

RainMaker
09-22-2009, 10:46 AM
The music box bothered me a lot too. The weird thing is that they did a great job of portraying a manic patient. But they sort of built caricatures for the rest of the patients. Andre Braugher was perfect and Franka Potente is one of my favorite actresses. I'm actually kind of sad that they have to go back to the hospital as I got attached to some of those characters.

I still contend for the craziness that goes on during the seasons, the writers can produce some of the best television when they want to. It reminded me a bit of the suicide episode. That one was realistic and portrayed suicide as well as you can on TV. The emotions different people feel and that feeling of never knowing why.

Lathum
09-22-2009, 11:15 AM
I really enjoyed the fact no other regulars were in the show and it was all about him. It's amazing how he can carry the whole show like that, he is really a treat to watch.

Mike1409
09-22-2009, 10:26 PM
if anyone would know about patients like that it'd be you EF!

andre braugher was great - he's such a treat to watch. man i miss Homicide.

Agreed on all points. I love everything he does, even his singing in Duets!

Radii
11-24-2009, 01:25 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/inq2jtiGGM4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/inq2jtiGGM4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

no spoilers.

Lathum
11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
ha!

that's awesome.

Is that from last night I am guessing?

ISiddiqui
11-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Yep, last night's episode.

Alan T
04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
I said Frodo, not Gollum!

sterlingice
04-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Starting to catch up on the DVR and we just started March's episodes (watched 'Private Lives' last night). So here's a crapload of notes from this season; this ended up being a lot longer than I thought it would.

Honestly, wasn't really enthralled with House's rendition of "One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest" to start the season but to each their own.
There have been a fair share of good stand-alone episode plots:
the dictator (tho they built on it) was great
the psychopath was excellent
we had a pair of episodes from other characters points of view (Wilson, Cuddy)- tho they were too close together as they hadn't even done it and then did 2 in one season
even some of the run of the mill stuff like the billionaire's son, the football player, and the undercover cop have been pretty good fare
the pranking war between House and Wilson (Is it just me or does Lucas just seem out of place in the series? It's kindof serious and even tho the characters are almost all horribly broken with the demeanor of children, at times- there's a certain, I dunno, gravitas, maybe, with all of the characters and Lucus just seems like a kid among adults).
The diagnostics are getting weaker and weaker. They just seem to be devolving into treknobabble. I'm no doctor so it's pretty easy to pull the wool over my eyes. But, I think I've heard the same few diseases every single time they're doing a differential this season (realistically, it's more like 3-4 choices of a pool of about 8 but that pool has been maybe 10 dieseas total all season). Hey, I get that the writers think the viewers are past that at this point but at least expand the disease word wheel.

Not only that, but the only time there's disagreement is to fuel some sort of personal conflict (Chase v Cameron, Foreman v Thirteen, etc). Otherwise, the dialog is basically the following:

Peon 1: "Idea"
House: "No, that's dumb"
Peon 2: "Idea"
Peon 3: "Idea"
Remaining Peon: "Idea"
House: "Sure, that's gotta be it. Let's commence with the crazy, irreversible procedure to treat that with no evidence whatsoever"

I know all differentials in the history of the show could eventually be boiled down to that but at least it used to take them some deliberation or even some test taking or something before their go to answer of "Let's remove X" or "Let's treat with horribly dangerous Y". Honestly, I think if I put together a clip of this season's diagnostic scenes, the writers are just playing a big joke on us, kindof like the lupus gag.
Characters- well, I'm kindof disappointed in how things this season went down. I liked having "the band back together" with Foreman, Chase, and Cameron. Cameron is the weakest of the three and the way they got rid of her was good including the motivations, House's egging it on for his own gain+, and her final scene, which was quite well done, I thought. But why do it? I'd rather have her forgive him and we could go back to having our orignal three characters. It's not like they've gone anywhere with Chase being more like House and it just seems to have dead ended as a literary device.

Thirteen is basically a Cameron replacement so there's a female on staff who is married/dating someone else on staff. They haven't touched her Parkinson's except in passing for a couple of seasons and now that she's not with Foreman, she doesn't really add anything. Taub is just boring to me. Yes, he's selfish but next to House it seems insignificant. Yeah, he's a cheater but that's not really interesting. He's basically like a really, really, really cheap version of House.

My wife and I were talking about natural progression of shows and how maybe they didn't want to just go with the original characters. I'm trying to think of ensemble cast shows I have seen and after about 3~5 seasons, writers settle into a way that each character interacts with other characters. I mean, that does basically mirror real life as people settle into how they interact with other people until some big event changes things. So, you rarely have a show where there's a lot of conflict as the show matures and shows eventually start trying new things to keep it "fresh" for viewers like multi-part plots, introducing a new character, do some sort of "special" episodes (alternate reality, retro, musical, etc). I mean, we already saw that this season with the Wilson and Cuddy episodes.

So, they keep playing with the cast starting after season 3. First we get the American Idol-style competition to start season 4 which results in 4 new characters. Then two characters die (admittedly, the second out of their control) and by the end of season 5, they hit the reset button and we're back to the original 3. But I guess that didn't work for some reason and they jettison Cameron (and from what little I've read, Jennifer Morrison wasn't expecting it). I didn't see a rhyme or reason to it except to try to avoid the structural problems that come along with a maturing show.+Problem to me was that it horribly conflicts with this "House is reformed" message they seem to have under everything this season. Is he behaving perfectly? No, but it seems like the reasoning behind most of his actions and his greater motivations for big things are mostly reformed.

SI

OldGiants
04-22-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm still watching this (my wife won't watch this or LOST) but it has been grinding down what with House trying to be normal. I miss the atheist themed shows like the healer-kid (with the greatest House scene of all time where the kid looks at House's leg and House gives him a "don't you even think about it" glare) or the episode where House electrocutes himself to find out if there is a white light at a near-death experience. This year there was only the book that his biological father wrote. I need more of House being obsessed with finding out the answer and not caring about human issues, or getting pissed at nuns (another good episode) or preachers.

duckman
05-17-2010, 08:25 PM
The season finale was very good.

RainMaker
09-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Did anyone else find the first episode of House to be horrible?

Alan T
09-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Did anyone else find the first episode of House to be horrible?

I think it was too focused on Cuddie and House. In the past any time an episode focused on House's relationships and him being somewhat happy (like season 2 for instance), it isn't as much fun as when he is the cranky a-hole that is funny.

The first episode had some really funny scenes, but they need to drop the romance soon hopefully in this season.

lungs
09-24-2010, 06:32 AM
I thought the first episode sucked too.

Coffee Warlord
09-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Ditto that.

duckman
09-24-2010, 07:15 PM
It didn't bother me too much. It was obviously setting up the change in their relationship and how it will affect their duties. Hopefully, it will add a new layer to a really good show.

Eaglesfan27
09-24-2010, 07:26 PM
It didn't bother me too much. It was obviously setting up the change in their relationship and how it will affect their duties. Hopefully, it will add a new layer to a really good show.

Agreed. Not my favorite episode, but it didn't bother me either.

lungs
09-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Maybe the awesomeness of last year's season premier had my expectations too high as last season was the first season I watched in full as it aired.

This definitely wasn't something that would make me quit watching, I was just a little bored with the first episode. I do agree that hopefully it sets up an awesome season as they can do a lot of wicked things with `House/Cuddy

OldGiants
09-25-2010, 11:23 AM
At first I thought the Cuddy/House love fest was going to turn out to be another dream sequence. When it didn't, I was a little bored. However, the Chase/13 scenes have promise for the future.

Seeing Cuddy naked more often is promising, but it also implies seeing more of House's yucky leg, so not as good as it sounds.

Suicane75
03-23-2011, 09:24 AM
So I guess this being the active House thread i'll just say that I thought Huddy turned out a lot better then I expected and i'm a little surprised they pulled the plug on so quick. It is nice to see the pill popping House back though. I really think Chase and Amber Tamblyn have taken a major backseat to Foreman and Taub but that's ok with me. It should be interesting to see where the take the final few eps as I don't know if they can take him back down the same roads we've already seen as far as battling his dependency.

Alan T
03-23-2011, 09:51 AM
So I guess this being the active House thread i'll just say that I thought Huddy turned out a lot better then I expected and i'm a little surprised they pulled the plug on so quick. It is nice to see the pill popping House back though. I really think Chase and Amber Tamblyn have taken a major backseat to Foreman and Taub but that's ok with me. It should be interesting to see where the take the final few eps as I don't know if they can take him back down the same roads we've already seen as far as battling his dependency.

I like Chase in the roll he is in. Not too much of him to be a problem. Amber Tamblyn I can do without though. I don't care for that role at all in this group.

jeff061
03-23-2011, 10:02 AM
I haven't watched much of Season 6. I only like Amber Tamblyn because I was sick of Cameron and the lesbian had grown old, she's a nice change.

I didn't like Chase early on in the show, but he's ok now. Foreman always has kicked ass and Taub was my favorite of the new guys.

RainMaker
03-23-2011, 10:48 AM
The show has gotten weird. Still watchable and all, but the monster truck and fake wedding crap is jumping the shark. I like the pill popping House who is a dick, but they're really stretching.

jeff061
03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah, that Monster Truck thing was weird and Chase pronouncing them man and wife?

Honestly though, it's a testament to their writers they've lasted this long before "jumping the shark". I mean at the end of the day it's a show about a grumpy asshole.

RainMaker
05-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Anyone with thoughts on the Finale? Any idea how they'll wrap up Cuddy's character and if this is the end of House in the hospital?

rowech
05-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Anyone with thoughts on the Finale? Any idea how they'll wrap up Cuddy's character and if this is the end of House in the hospital?

This show has unfortunately left the station. Probably the best show on TV for four or five seasons, it's just become a trainwreck. There's no direction, no character development, etc. The show has to end with House killing himelf somehow and I would like it to be at the end of this season so I don't have to keep watching.

OldGiants
05-29-2011, 06:03 PM
This show has unfortunately left the station. Probably the best show on TV for four or five seasons, it's just become a trainwreck. There's no direction, no character development, etc. The show has to end with House killing himelf somehow and I would like it to be at the end of this season so I don't have to keep watching.

I must agree. As much as I have enjoyed House, if it did not come back next season and this was the end, I could live with it.

DaddyTorgo
05-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Yeah - I gave up on it a few years back. Just too little overarching character development for me I guess, in the end.

Eaglesfan27
05-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I've always been a huge House fan, but am also among those who is very disappointed with how this season has played out.

Rizon
05-29-2011, 08:39 PM

I thought the episode was awful. Time for this show to get lupus.

StrangeWay
06-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Being the last season, I'm curious to see what they do for the end.

Rizon
11-16-2011, 10:54 AM
My wife and I have removed House off our DVR list. This season is one of the worst seasons of ANY TV show I've seen in recent memory. It's like they're tanking on purpose (Suck for Luck??).

Pretty much the only reason to watch is for Odette Annable.

rowech
11-16-2011, 02:42 PM
I thought last night's episode was pretty good actually. The rest of the show I agree with. I can't take it out of the rotation because ultimately, I think it's over after this year. If it gets renewed for next season I wouldn't watch. It's clear the show has run it's course. And it's been a great show for many years so I'm willing to put up with it to get to the end.

RainMaker
11-16-2011, 05:54 PM
I haven't seen Monday's episode yet because I've been avoiding it considering how bad the show has gotten. Do love me some Odette though.

Jas_lov
11-16-2011, 07:07 PM
I think Laurie said this is his last season so the show should end this year. I don't think it's that bad. Odette is a nice addition but is only there for eye candy. The only good characters left are Wilson and House. I'm sticking with it to see how they end the show and what happens to Wilson, House, and their friendship.

OldGiants
11-16-2011, 08:27 PM
I stopped watching after episode 3 this year. I mean, who could think the equation +random Oriental girl - 13 - Cuddy > than last season?

I've read Laurie and the producers are meeting soon to decide if this is it so they can write the concluding story arcs if necessary. And it is necessary. I'll watch those wind-up episodes, I suppose.

JonInMiddleGA
02-09-2012, 07:23 AM
My Way News - Dr. House hangs up his Fox TV stethoscope (http://apnews.myway.com//article/20120209/D9SPIRK00.html)

PackerFanatic
02-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Bummed - although not entirely surprised. Apparently Hugh Laurie's contract was up at the end of this season and there weren't any indications that he was going to re-up. It's been kinda meh the past couple of seasons, so I would rather see it go out on it's own terms than get canned by bad ratings.

CrimsonFox
02-09-2012, 09:26 AM
I watched an episode on hulu yesterday. The first new episode I've watched in a long long time. And I'm like...wow...only House, Wilson, FOreman, and Chase are there....and Taub.
The girls are just pathetic. THe writing is just boring. Flat. NOthing at all to it.
Foreman as the administrator just doesn't do much altho it's nice to see SOME kind of progression on the show. But jeez it just sucked. Even house sucked. Everything is so repetitive.

lungs
02-09-2012, 11:15 AM
I thought this week's episode was the best of the season, though it's been pretty weak. Probably should have hung it up after last season.

Jas_lov
05-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I watched to see how it ended and was disappointed. I didn't like the one hour retrospective. Why not just make the finale 2 hours? They tried to jam so many guest appearances into 1 hour. Not enough time was spent on the case and how House transitioned to a suicidal heroin user. They tried to give everyone a happy ending and they should have just let House die.

RainMaker
05-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I don't mind the ending of it, but the episode was pretty bad. Basically shoehorned in a bunch of guest stars to fit in one hour. Their roles weren't particularly interesting either. I just kept waiting for it to end to see how they would finish it.

Still sort of sad to see the show go. It has definitely seen better days but was a staple on my DVR for years.

rowech
05-22-2012, 04:35 AM
I watched to see how it ended and was disappointed. I didn't like the one hour retrospective. Why not just make the finale 2 hours? They tried to jam so many guest appearances into 1 hour. Not enough time was spent on the case and how House transitioned to a suicidal heroin user. They tried to give everyone a happy ending and they should have just let House die.

At first I thought the same about 1 hour versus 2 hours but the more I watched it, the more I really liked that first hour. Getting to see how many people are really involved in a TV show and how much effort things entail.

As for the 2nd hour, I'm mixed on it. It was pretty dark the majority of the episode which I liked but it was a bit too happy of an ending for me given the nature of the show. That said, House's only moments of humanity throughout the entire series involved Wilson so who's not to say he couldn't suck it up for 5 months.

rowech
05-22-2012, 04:48 AM
Also keep in mind how the show paralleled Sherlock Holmes. Holmes faked his own death as well.

Suicane75
05-22-2012, 01:10 PM
I didn't like the first 50 minutes much at all. I kept waiting for it to turn the corner and it really didn't until the text message at the funeral. That last 5 minutes was pretty great though.

TRO
05-22-2012, 01:52 PM
I didn't like the first 50 minutes much at all. I kept waiting for it to turn the corner and it really didn't until the text message at the funeral. That last 5 minutes was pretty great though.

This.

Honolulu_Blue
05-22-2012, 02:40 PM

I haven't watched House in about 6 years or so. I enjoyed the first 1.5 seasons, but then kind of got tired of it.

I saw the last few minutes of last night's episode. It was recording on the other tuner while I was watching the hockey game. I flipped to it and scanned around a bit. I really only watched from the time Wilson got the text until the end and thought it was a pretty good ending.

PackerFanatic
05-22-2012, 02:49 PM
I enjoyed it...fitting end.

RainMaker
05-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Also keep in mind how the show paralleled Sherlock Holmes. Holmes faked his own death as well.

This is a good catch. Didn't even think about that.

weegeebored
05-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I don't mind the ending of it, but the episode was pretty bad. Basically shoehorned in a bunch of guest stars to fit in one hour. Their roles weren't particularly interesting either. I just kept waiting for it to end to see how they would finish it.

Still sort of sad to see the show go. It has definitely seen better days but was a staple on my DVR for years.+1

I had the final episode DVRed and just got around to watching it last night. What a horrible episode. The retrospective should have been a DVD bonus and the finale should have been a full two hours. Maybe they could have made it interesting then because I was not really that emotionally involved which is odd as I really enjoyed the show. I think that House fans could have written a better send-off.

sterlingice
06-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I think the most interesting question about House is asking: "When did House jump the shark?"

Since the show is over, spoiler tags aren't necessary, right?

(just to be safe)

I think the obvious one is the finale where House ran his car into Cuddy's house. The "One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest" thing aged better with me and I think it was better upon another viewing but what precipitated it was just too much: not rational, not even really within the true flow of the show, just sensational.

There were other moments one could use:
* The season where he did American Idol-style auditions to replace him team seemed forced. Some interesting characters came out of it but it seemed like the writers wanted to blow up the show before it got stale and just didn't know how to do it.
* There was the whole "getting together with Cuddy" thing - one could say that when he got together with her, maybe that was it.
* And one can always point to any number of character departures as a possible jumping off point. Tho House liked to keep dragging them back as only Jennifer Morrison really left the show for good (minus guest appearances).

I was also trying to think back on the highlights of the show:
* I thought the House's Head/Wilson's Heart episodes were the highlight of the series. I never liked Amber but I loved the concept there.
* Wilson getting cancer could have been an entire season but it just felt rushed and tacked on, unfortunately. I thought it was handled fairly competently but I feel like if they had more time, the writers could have done a better job.
* The Sela Ward plot dominated early on and I wasn't a huge fan of the choice of actress or her personality but I liked the idea.
* And very early on, I liked the Chi McBride plot, tho that faded fairly quickly. They tried to do something a little similar I thought with David Morse: only they used a chaotic force instead of lawful one to try to keep House in line but it was never going to work to fit the character.

The show had such an odd flow to it. They felt the need to break things that probably weren't broken or weren't broken yet. And the writers seemed to like to just throw chaos at the wall to see what sticks for long term changes while playing it fairly safe for most individual episodes (within their "edgy" confines).

SI

Rizon
06-21-2012, 01:03 PM
I
* The season where he did American Idol-style auditions to replace him team seemed forced. Some interesting characters came out of it but it seemed like the writers wanted to blow up the show before it got stale and just didn't know how to do it.

This is when I stopped watching it regularly. Caught episodes here and there after and thought the show was awful.