PDA

View Full Version : Werewolf XXXIII: To Crown a King 2 (Game Over)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Barkeep49
09-22-2006, 03:54 PM
For information you might want to look at the first game located, here (http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=44878)

For those who played in the first game here's some differences between the games:
Assassins can now recieve points
Blackmailing has been replaced by random chance discovery of a Noble Leader's message
Players must be in jail in order to be executed
Players can cast vote to both jail and execute (or free) a player each day
Numerous other refinements

Barkeep49
List of players:
1. ntndeacon Killed Night 5; Noble
2. Anxiety
3. Qwikshot Executed Day 3; Assassin
4. Lonestargirl
5. Bulletsponge
6. Schmidty
7. Hoopsguy Killed Night 3; Noble
8. Greyroofoo
9. st.cronin
10. RealDeal
11. Blade6119 Killed Night 3; Faction Leader
12. Fouts
13. King
14. Lathum
15. Chief Rum
16. SnDvls
17. BrianD
18. WVUFan
19. Mr. Wednesday Killed Night 4; Wise Noble

Barkeep49
Important in-game Posts:

Night 0 Opening (http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?p=1256495#post1256495)
Day 1 Beginning (http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?p=1256880#post1256880)

Barkeep49
Game Basics:

In this game there are two main sides, the Nobles and the Assassins. Within the Nobles there will be two or more (depending on the number of players) Factions. Each faction is attempting to have its own leader crowned King. This game rewards players for correct decision making giving them points based on how they vote.

Game Etiquette
Please do not post any PMs you might receive from me. Feel free to paraphrase but outright posting is not allowed. What happens in the game should be based on what has happened in the game. Please do not wager or let outside grudges affect the game. If you are concerned that a strategy might not be allowed by the rules please contact me before attempting the strategy. Please do not edit/delete posts. The exception for this is to correct spelling or add another quick point with-in a couple minutes of the original posting. Finally, dead players, are, well dead, and should avoid influencing the outcome of the game.

Victory Conditions:

Each side has its own set of victory conditions and can achieve various levels of success.

For the Assassins a normal victory is achieved when a 1-1 ratio of free Assassins and Nobles happens or if the Assassins cause a Revolt. A major victory is if an assassin is crowned king.

For the Nobles a minor victory is achieved if a non-assassin Noble, of a tolerated faction, is crowned king. A normal victory is achieved if a non-assassin Noble from one’s own faction is crowned king OR if all Assassins have been executed. A major victory is achieved if there are no free assassins and a noble from his faction is crowned king.

Dead players are assumed to have one less rank of victory than alive players (so a Normal Victory becomes a Minor Victory)

Cycles

The game will start with a night 0 cycle. Votes are due by 9 PM Eastern and night actions are due by 7:30 AM Eastern.

Voting:

There are four types of votes: Jail, Execute, No Execution, and Free.

Each day a player MUST vote to jail another player (jail will be explained more below). A player must also vote either to Execute or Free a player currently in the jail, or for there to be No Execution, which means all players currently in jail stay alive and in jail.

At the end of the day a the player with a plurality of jail votes will be sent to jail.

Additionally, whichever action has a majority vote between Execute, No Execution, and Free will be enacted.

If a noble is executed, all players who voted to execute that player must vote the next day to either Free a Player or for No Execution.

All votes must be placed at the bottom of the post and in bold.
Sample Vote

Jail ABCD
Execute 1234

In order to change your vote you must list what you had voted for and what you are changing it to, also in bold and at the bottom of the page
Sample Vote Change

Change Jail ABCD to Jail EFGH
Change Execute 1234 to Free 1234

Jail:

While in jail a person may still speak, but cannot vote or use any special roles, including assassin abilities, they might have (except for the Rich Noble or Favored Noble/Assassin). Players in jail, however, are also safe from being killed by an assassin. Only players in jail by be executed or freed.

The jail is guarded either on even nights or odd nights. This is the opposite of the nights that the majority of the Noble Leaders choose to protect themselves (see Noble Leaders below). If there is no majority (for instance if there are 2 Noble Leaders as one chooses even nights and the other chooses odd nights) then it will be determined randomly by the GM.

Executions
When a player is executed his role, but not faction, is revealed and factions are awarded points. Any player executed is dead and out of the game.

Both Assassins and Nobles receive points. Points will not be revealed until after the first execution. Points will then be updated only after each execution.

Points for Nobles
Points are award to Factions based on how well its members vote.

If a person who is executed is an assassin:
+3 points for the first vote cast
+5 points for the lynching votes (in other words if the final votes is 8-3, the 4th vote cast is considered the lynching vote)
+1 point for all other votes

If a person who is executed is a Noble:
-2 points for the first vote cast (-2.5 if the person was a member of your faction)
-3.5 points for the lynching vote (-4 if the person was a member of your faction)
-.5 points to each player of that faction who voted to execute

If a person is sent to Jail who is a Noble:
-1 points for the first person to vote to send a noble to jail
-1 points for the “lynching” vote to send a noble to jail
-.5 points for any player of that noble’s faction who voted to send the noble to jail

If a person is sent to Jail who is an Assassin:
+1.5 points for the first person to vote to send an assassin to jail
+1.5 points for the “lynching” vote to send an assassin to jail
+.5 points for all other players voting to send that assassin to jail

Other:
+.5 points for any person voting to Jail an opposing Noble Leader, whether or not they are sent to jail
+.5 points for any person voting to execute an assassin who is not executed
+.5 points for any person who votes to free a noble who is in jail, if that noble is freed
+.5 points for any person voting to free a member of his faction, or a tolerated faction, from jail, whether or not they receive the most votes (may be stacked with the above points)
+.5 points for casting the “lynching” vote for No Execution, if the player with the second most votes was a Noble
-.5 points for failing to cast for both Jail and Execute, No Execution, or Free each day

Points for Assassins
Assassins are attempting to earn negative points.

If a person who is executed is an assassin:
+3 points for the first vote cast
+5 points for the lynching votes (in other words if the final votes is 8-3, the 4th vote cast is considered the lynching vote)
+1 point for all other votes

If a person who is executed is a Noble:
-2 points for the first vote cast
-3.5 points for the lynching vote
-.5 points to each assassin who voted to execute

If a person is sent to Jail who is a Noble:
-.5 points for being the first person to vote to send a noble to jail
-.5 points for being the “lynching” vote to send a noble to jail

If a person is sent to Jail who is an Assassin:
+1 point for being the first person to vote to send an assassin to jail
+1 point for being the “lynching” vote to send an assassin to jail
+.5 points for all other players voting to send that assassin to jail

Other:
-.5 points to any assassin successfully voting to jail or execute a Warrior Noble, Sneaky Noble, or Wise Noble (is stacked with any other points earned)
-.5 points for any person voting to free an assassin from jail, whether or not they receive the most votes
+.5 points for casting the “lynching” vote for No Execution, if the player with the second most votes was an Assassin.
+.5 points for failing to cast for both Jail and Execute, No Execution, or Free each day

Crowning the King
After the first execution a point total will be revealed. Once a faction achieves that point total they automatically crown their Noble Leader king, if he is not in jail.

Causing a Revolt
After the first execution a point total will be revealed. If the assassins achieves that point total, they will have disrupted the gathering so much that the public will lose faith in the Nobles’ ability to crown a king and will start to Revolt, leading to an Assassin victory.

Noble Roles:

There will be 1 Noble Leader and at least 1 Fast Talking Noble for each faction in the game. There will also be 1 Wise Noble. All other roles may or may not be in the game and there may be more than 1 of each role.

Noble Leader
This is the person who the faction is trying to get crowned King. This person is known to all members of his faction, however he does not know who any of the members of his faction are. During the night cycle he may send a 15 word message to all members of his faction. The Noble Leader’s vote counts as double for all Jail and Free votes. Finally, the Noble Leader may designate either even or odd days and on those days will receive protection, preventing the Noble Leader from being killed. If the Noble Leader is killed or executed, a new member of the faction (based on a secret order determined before the start of the game by the GM) becomes Noble Leader after 1 cycle (either day or night).

Warrior Noble
Well trained in the martial arts, this Noble may designate one player to be protected during the night cycle, by his entourage. If the assassins attempt to kill that player the attack will fail. The same player may not be protected 2 nights in a row. The Warrior Noble may choose to protect himself.

Sleepless Noble
This poor Noble has trouble sleeping. Once during the game, the insomniac may choose to wander the castle at night. If there is a kill that night, he will learn the identity of one of the assassins. Likewise, that assassin will learn his identity. This power may not be used before Night 3.

Sneaky Noble:
During the night the Sneaky Noble may examine the correspondences of 1 noble to determine whether or not they are an assassin.

Fast Talking Noble
If targeted by the assassins to be killed, this smooth talker will convince the assassins that he is on their side and becomes an assassin. This Noble will still receive all messages from the Noble leader but will count as an assassin for all point purposes. If the known Noble Leader dies after the Fast Talking Noble has become an assassin, he will not learn the identity of the new Noble Leader. A Fast Talking Noble who is an Assassin, will remain in line to become the Noble Leader. Nobles won’t know if they are this role, until they targeted by the assassins and it is possible that the Assassins will only put up with so many "fast talkers" before they will start to ignore such people. This Noble may have an additional role, but will lose those role's powers if they become an assassin.

Lucky Noble
This Noble has remarkably good luck when it counts. One time during the game, if targeted by the assassins, this Noble will not be assassinated. He will know that he was the target of a killing, but will not learn the identities of any of the assassins. Nobles won’t know how lucky they are until they survive an assassination attempt. This Noble may have an additional role.

Rich Noble
With a lot of money to burn, once per game this Noble may bribe the guards to release all people currently in the jail, during the night cycle. This may be used even if the Rich Noble is in jail.

Cocky Noble
This Noble isn’t afraid to take matters into his own hands. Once per game he may kill another player during the night phase. If prevented by bodyguards/Warrior Noble he may try again.

Wise Noble
This Noble is able to pick up on little clues to make correct deductions. He may send in two roles per night and learn if that role is currently present in the game, and how many there are, if present. Upon his death, a list with all the roles he’s found for each day will be found.

Favored Noble
Things have always gone this Noble’s way. If this Noble ends up in jail they may still send or receive their faction’s messages thanks to the kindness of the guards. This player may have an additional role.

Assassins Powers and Roles

The Assassins may freely communicate with each other. Each night the assassins may choose to kill someone or to free all those in jail, if the jail is not being guarded. If choosing to kill, one of the assassins should be designated as the killer. Unless there is only one assassin, the same assassin may not kill two times (note that this does not say nights) in a row.

Each night the Assassins have a 1 in 10 chance (1/10) of discovering a Noble Leader’s message. Once they discover a Noble Leader’s message they will receive all of that Leader’s messages. If the faction gains a new noble leader, the Assassins will no longer receive the Noble Leader’s messages. The assassins may only be receiving two factions messages at one time.

Sly Assassin
This assassin is not what he appears to be. If viewed by the Sneaky Noble, this Assassin will show up as a normal Noble. If he is killed, however, his true identity as Sly Assassin will be revealed.

Vengeful Assassin
If sent to be executed, this assassin will shoot a poison dart into one of the Nobles, causing him to die during the next night cycle. A search of this assassin’s corpse will only reveal him to be a regular Assassin, without special powers.

Clever Assassin
Once per game this Assassin, instead of killing a target, may instead plant evidence on the victim, so if that victim is later killed he will appear to have been an assassin. Point totals will act as though the Noble was an assassin for one day, before being reflected properly the next day.

Efficient Assassin
Able to kill quickly and easily, once per game this assassin may select two targets for the night kill.

Tricky Assassin
Once per game the tricky assassin may choose to have his victim die during the following night cycle, instead of the current night cycle. A search of this assassin’s corpse will only reveal him to be a regular Assassin, without special powers. If the Sleepless Noble power is used, the Sleepless Noble will not learn the Trick Assassin's identity.

Favored Assassin
Things have always gone this Assassin’s way. If this Assassin ends up in jail they may still send or receive messages thanks to the kindness of the guards. This player may have an additional role.

Order Roles are Performed

During the Night Cycle, orders are performed in the following order:
1. Warrior Noble and Noble Leader’s protect
2. Sleepless Noble
3. Assassin’s action
4. Cocky Noble
5. Sneaky Noble
6. Rich Noble
7. Wise Noble
8. Noble Leader’s message is sent

Passacaglia
09-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Sign me up.

Abe Sargent
09-22-2006, 04:52 PM
me!

Qwikshot
09-22-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm in

LoneStarGirl
09-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Pick me pick me.

bulletsponge
09-22-2006, 05:32 PM
a playboy ghost?! sounds kinky. im in

Bek
09-22-2006, 06:34 PM
im in...always wanted to be rich...damn...tricked again

TazFTW
09-22-2006, 06:39 PM
I liked the Treasure Hunter game, in.

Greyroofoo
09-22-2006, 07:14 PM
i'll give it a go

st.cronin
09-22-2006, 07:21 PM
in

RealDeal
09-22-2006, 07:37 PM
in

Blade6119
09-22-2006, 07:48 PM
ya bk, lets hope these rules are more wolf friendly..that first TH game was a nightmare for ardent and I, and we basically decided to sacrifice 2 just to clear hoops.

Im in, :)

Barkeep49
09-22-2006, 08:15 PM
This is a completely different set of rules. I used Treasure Hunt as a comparison of complexity.

Fouts
09-22-2006, 08:17 PM
I'll play.

Lorena
09-22-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm gonna pass on this one... don't want WW burnout.

Schmidty
09-22-2006, 08:59 PM
I really want to, but I'm just not sure I should yet. I fucked up the past few WW games I played in, and I'm still feeling pretty bad about it.

Sorry.

Lorena
09-22-2006, 09:11 PM
I really want to, but I'm just not sure I should yet. I fucked up the past few WW games I played in, and I'm still feeling pretty bad about it.

Sorry.

Kinda sounds like me. I've played on 2 of these and both times I helped the other side.

*sigh*

SnDvls
09-22-2006, 09:38 PM
you anticipate this starting then on 28th and running about how long?
I don't to sign up if I'll be gone.

kingfc22
09-22-2006, 09:45 PM
A Barkeep WW game??? Count me in!!!

saldana
09-22-2006, 10:30 PM
bk, due to circumstances at work, i have to pass, but lathum would like to be in...he has no computer access until probably monday, but i talked to him on the phone and he asked me to sign him up,

Lathum in.

Poli
09-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Depending on time for day and night actions...I'm tentatively in. I'm out if lynch votes are required before 11pm CST.

Bek
09-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Depending on time for day and night actions...I'm tentatively in. I'm out if lynch votes are required before 11pm CST.

hope you will be able to join us....bump

Alan T
09-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Wish I could play. Going to miss most of this game while out of the country. I'll read for fun when I get back though :) Good luck, I'm sure it will be an outstanding game, Barkeep's games are usually alot of fun.

Chief Rum
09-23-2006, 06:36 PM
I will tentatively put myself in, but I do hope we push up the start times a bit. Next Wednesday seems to be a long time to wait for signups and then considering how things would be pushed back even further after that for the start. One reason for this is I am off this upcoming week, so a game of WW would be perfectly timed.

GoldenEagle
09-23-2006, 06:39 PM
I will be sitting this one out but I will be following along.

Barkeep49
09-23-2006, 07:10 PM
If it would help people I am completely open to starting this sooner, like Monday Night, as I'd like to give at least some time for the weekday work people to see the thread.

I worked some today on the rules for Demon House and frankly while the rules are good, I simply don't have time to run the game the way it would require, as it would require a fair amount of writing and I simply didn't have the time to plan ahead. And so I have decided, we are going to shift things a little and I am going to go back to my previous well, again, and run To Crown a King 2. If anyone wants to drop out, I'd understand. I am updating the rules now, as I've actually run the game another time since I ran it here. Expect to see the rules up, however, before the end of the night, or else early tomorrow morning. My apologies again to anyone who was looking forward to Demon House.

Barkeep49
09-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Also:

Actions, as dictated by my sleep/work schedule are:

Night Lynch 9 PM Eastern.

Morning Actions due by 7:30 AM Eastern.

I hope that isn't a problem for anyone.

Barkeep49
09-23-2006, 08:06 PM
you anticipate this starting then on 28th and running about how long?
I don't to sign up if I'll be gone.

Based on Feedback we're starting now on the 26th. Based on the nature of the game I would anticipate between 6-8 game days which should work out to just over a week worth of game time. I hope you can make it since this game works great with more people.

Barkeep49
09-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Rules have been posted. First post now offers a cliff note's version of changes between two games.

Fouts
09-23-2006, 09:34 PM
I didn't play the first version, so I have a question -

If points are assigned and revealed, won't it be a bit too easy to know if an assassin or noble are jailed (after the first execution)?

Lorena
09-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Do I need like a WhD to play this thing?

Screw it... in (for better or worse)

Chubby
09-23-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm going to have to sit this one out :(

BrianD
09-23-2006, 11:01 PM
If there is room yet, I'm in.

Edit: Assuming that having not played the first game isn't too much of a disadvantage.

Poli
09-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Looks like I wouldn't be able to compete.

Mr. Wednesday
09-24-2006, 12:17 AM
In.

Mr. Wednesday
09-24-2006, 12:19 AM

If points are assigned and revealed, won't it be a bit too easy to know if an assassin or noble are jailed (after the first execution)?
The way that the points get handed out, I don't remember it being all that easy to figure out, at least early on.

WVUFAN
09-24-2006, 12:30 AM
I'm in for this one. Sounds very interesting.

Mr. Wednesday
09-24-2006, 12:48 AM
Oh, so now the assassins are earning points as well... that's helpful, there won't be missing points the way there were in the last game.

Barkeep49
09-24-2006, 07:07 AM

The premise of the game is that players who make good decisions, which in this case means voting, should be rewarded. I created the game after I grew frustrated with a couple games where I was killed essentially for having made a tough decision, which proved correct, but was "suspicious" (for instance late vote switch away from someone who turned out to be a villager).

With-in that premise, you are correct that the weakness of the game has been that it's been possible to reduce the game to a math exercise. When I ran the game a second time, I introduced the assassins recieving points as well which made it harder, but in the end the code was still cracked.

That is why in this game Players must be jailed before being executed and there are various ways to earn/lose half points. I am hoping that this will make it still possible to throw out scenarios using the points, but also provide the assassins with enough wiggle room to survive.

Another mechanism that should complicate matters is the Fast Talking Noble. As this person would secretly have changed their faction it would be harder to figure where everyone belongs. Of course in the two games I've run, the assassins have had incredibly bad luck in getting fast talking nobles so I haven't seen how that plays out.

There are a couple of other mechanisms I have created to also address this point, but I don't want to talk about them and risk influencing the game in that way.

Barkeep49
09-24-2006, 07:10 AM
If there is room yet, I'm in.

Edit: Assuming that having not played the first game isn't too much of a disadvantage.

First of all many of the players didn't play in the first game and second I think things are different enough that you will not be at a disadvantage.

hoopsguy
09-24-2006, 08:28 AM
I would like to play, but need to see on Monday just how daunting the work schedule will be. I'm in if you are OK with there being a slight chance that I would have to drop early and put you in the "find replacement player" mode.

Originally planned on posting on Monday when I knew for sure, but looks like the start time has been moved up ...

TazFTW
09-24-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm going to have to drop out.

Barkeep49
09-24-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm going to have to drop out.

Sorry to hear that.

ntndeacon
09-24-2006, 09:06 PM
if there is still room I will play.

Passacaglia
09-24-2006, 11:14 PM
I'd better bow out. Sorry, guys.

Barkeep49
09-25-2006, 06:25 AM
Final bump. I plan on sending out roles around 6 PM. Sign-ups are welcome until then.

RealDeal
09-25-2006, 11:21 AM
I love the concept of points for voting.

LoneStarGirl
09-25-2006, 04:28 PM
This game seems like a lot of fun, I am ready for it to start.

Barkeep49
09-25-2006, 05:20 PM
This game seems like a lot of fun, I am ready for it to start.
Writing up role descriptions now (as I needed a final number before figuring out what the roles would be). Should get a PM with the role in the hour (at the latest).

Barkeep49
09-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Your nation has suffered from years of incompetent rule. What was once a proud nation is now merely a shadow of its former self. A few years ago the latest nincompoop died. This led to a period of Civil War. Now, however, the country is coming out of the Civil War. This Civil War was triggered by the revelation that some of the Nobles of the land, have, since birth, been trained as agents of your greatest rival nation. It was agreed that the leading Nobles of the land would assemble and attempt to root out these evil influences. Whichever group did the best job would win the right to crown one of its own King.

Of course the assassins are not going to be content to just sit still. They have no love of this nation and would love to see it destroyed. It is with that you all cautiously come together. Starting tomorrow you will vote. For now you settle in for what will hopefully NOT be a long haul.

We are now in Night 0. I indicated in your PM if you had an action to perform. Please feel free to ask questions either here or privately, that you might have. Also note that I have made a few changes to the rules. This includes changing the probability that the Assassins will discover a faction’s messages (from 1/10 to 1/12) and giving the Faction Leaders 12 words instead of 15. I have also tweaked the points ever so slightly. Good luck to both sides.

bulletsponge
09-25-2006, 06:18 PM
this game looks complicated

Barkeep49
09-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Well it's not a vanilla game, but at least in the world of BK games this one is a simple game. Especially because strategies that generally serve a side well, still work in this setup. It's just that there are a few more angles to consider that can also help a team out.

Abe Sargent
09-25-2006, 06:52 PM
this game looks complicated

All revealed roles games look complex at first, but they play much more simply. Except for tanglewood's. :)

bulletsponge
09-25-2006, 07:06 PM
ok ill be the first to say it, im not an http://www.smileyhut.com/characters/character22.gif. im a lord http://www.smileyhut.com/characters/admin.gif

bulletsponge
09-25-2006, 07:07 PM
dola. or did i get that backwards

bulletsponge
09-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Vote Chubby for jail

hoopsguy
09-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Time to go read up on the rules - played the first one but it has been awhile and I was night killed pretty early in that one.

st.cronin
09-25-2006, 07:33 PM
I remember being totally baffled by the first game, but I think I actually ended up on the winning team. So, I'm going to not even try to understand the rules, and hope for the same outcome!

kingfc22
09-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Noble checking in. Going to have to read the rules a few times to get a grasp of things.

hoopsguy
09-25-2006, 08:04 PM
OK, so we are playing a multifaction game that includes an assassin faction. There is probably not one assassin to start the game, but I can't see there being too many given the inclusion of a fast-talking noble for each faction.

So I'm guessing we start with two assassins, three max. But the more factions there are, the more likely we are to have a lower number of assassins.

Of course, if there is a big delta between the assassin "number" and the noble "number" for end game, then I would have to revisit this assumption.

hoopsguy
09-25-2006, 08:05 PM
If Bullet did not already have a vote on Chubby I would probably go in that direction for the (off-base) relentless harassment last game. But I'm not looking to start bandwagons in the first hour of the game.

Fouts
09-25-2006, 08:08 PM
hoops, how many factions do you think we start with 19 players? I'm guessing 4 or 5.

hoopsguy
09-25-2006, 08:31 PM
There were three in the last game, with 5 players (going from memory) on each faction.

19 players:
4 factions, 4 per team?
3 assassins?

5 factions, 3 per team?
4 assassins? Seems like high starting number given the number of fast talkers, even if it is capped at only 2 before the assassins kill them.

Of course, there is a possibility that there are not an even number of people on each faction - in that case I would assume that factions with fewer members have a higher % of roles.

Fouts
09-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Ok, 3 factions of 5, plus 4 assassins sounds right, if the game is similar to the last one.

Fouts
09-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Vote Chubby for jail

I think we are still on Night 0.

bulletsponge
09-25-2006, 08:56 PM
I think we are still on Night 0.

your never too early to get chubby

Bek
09-25-2006, 09:23 PM
hey just chekcing in....seems a little complicated but like anxiety said im sure it will become easier as I play longer...looking forward to play

BrianD
09-25-2006, 09:31 PM
I'll be interested to see how this game goes. I have no clue how the strategy will work in this game, but it should be fu.

BrianD
09-25-2006, 09:32 PM
*fun.

Lorena
09-25-2006, 09:35 PM
It does seem a little complicated but I'm glad several of you have played this game before and I'll take your lead.

I'll have to re-read the rules once again after the football game.

Blade6119
09-25-2006, 09:41 PM
It really does get easier as the game goes on. There will also be a plethora of information this time around. Good luck everyone, except the bad guys. Booo bad guys

Mr. Wednesday
09-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Checking in, role received.

(I'm not going to go on with the whole "I'm a villager" bit... always seems to cause endless debates about whether there was anything behind the "oversight" of saying "villager" instead of "noble"...)

WVUFAN
09-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Checking in. Role Received.

LoneStarGirl
09-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Just saying hi, got my role.

Greyroofoo
09-25-2006, 10:34 PM
so when does the night end?

Mr. Wednesday
09-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Typ. tomorrow morning. Have the actual deadlines been determined?

ntndeacon
09-25-2006, 11:37 PM
I think night actions end at 7:30 Am eastern and voting has to be done by 9 pm eastern

Chief Rum
09-26-2006, 01:28 AM
I have reason to believe there are a lot of factions, with smaller numbers of players per faction. But I wouldn't be surprised if not every faction has a Fast Talking Noble, and that the assassins have as many members as any of the other individual factions.

This is all guesswork, though. I did not play in the first TCAK.

Poli
09-26-2006, 03:25 AM
Word.

Barkeep49
09-26-2006, 06:56 AM
The day begins. You face your first test. Who will you jail today? With 18 others to chose from the choice will no doubt be difficult. The thought of possibly doing nothing strikes you, but you remember that you must vote to jail someone today. By 9:30 Eastern time someone at the conclave will have lost their freedom.

Day 1 has begun.

Fouts
09-26-2006, 07:17 AM
Well, I won't be on much today as I have class tonight. Every Tuesday, right on schedule. I will have a couple hours later this afternoon to catch up and cast a vote.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 07:26 AM
Sounds like Rum and Fouts are on the other ends of the spectrum in terms of faction size/numbers. Eventually (hopefully after the "winning numbers" are posted?) we should have an answer to this one. Will be a nice feeling after stumbling around for nine days last game ...

Lathum
09-26-2006, 07:48 AM
checking in. I may be gone most of the day and am still trying to grasp the rules if I am quiet. I may vote Saldana for jail just so he isn't killed night one :)

BrianD
09-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Is anyone around yet? This thread seems rather quiet for a first day...

Abe Sargent
09-26-2006, 09:07 AM
So, Barkeep, let me see if I get this straight. Once you jail someone, they are in to stay? Unless released by the bribe or assasins?

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Is anyone around yet? This thread seems rather quiet for a first day...
Very quiet. Strange, that.

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Now, if I were playing like ardent, I'd bust out random.org and draw lots to decide who to vote for. :) I don't think I'll go that far, but it's not going to be much better than that. :p

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Double dola, which is a commentary on how effective day 1 voting usually is, not on my methods for deciding who to vote for. :)

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Mr. W, everyone knows that Ardent votes for Schmidty on Day 1 :)

For me, I think that the first part of the day will be about trying to pick up on factions. So I'm not in a rush to get a vote out there until I've got a little bit more information, even if it is probably fun to fire off the "vendetta vote" to get a game rolling.

Lorena
09-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Strange, I thought more people would sign up for Barkeep's game, is 19 a relatively low number for these games?

Alan T
09-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Strange, I thought more people would sign up for Barkeep's game, is 19 a relatively low number for these games?

I definitly would have signed up. I love Barkeep's games. Just leaving on Friday for 2 weeks. (Even though based on everyone's low opinion of me from last game, I doubt I would live that long anyways had I played)

RealDeal
09-26-2006, 11:02 AM
villager checking in.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Dodgerchick, I think 19 is about average for one of these games as of late. The older games usually only had 12-15 people, while some of the bigger ones get up around 25.

Lorena
09-26-2006, 12:05 PM
I definitly would have signed up. I love Barkeep's games. Just leaving on Friday for 2 weeks. (Even though based on everyone's low opinion of me from last game, I doubt I would live that long anyways had I played)

Nah, you got us good. I wouldn't have guessed you were evil in that game. If it's any consolation, had you participated in this game, I wouldn't have voted for you... on the first night ;)

Dodgerchick, I think 19 is about average for one of these games as of late. The older games usually only had 12-15 people, while some of the bigger ones get up around 25.

Ahh... okay. I was curious because the 2 games I signed up for had over 20.

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 12:35 PM
I wont be around for another 4-5 hours...just had a second in between classes to say hello, so i shall.

Hello

Off to accounting, yay :(

saldana
09-26-2006, 12:45 PM
checking in. I may be gone most of the day and am still trying to grasp the rules if I am quiet. I may vote Saldana for jail just so he isn't killed night one :)

maybe you should check the player list first, dipshit.:rolleyes:

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 12:52 PM
OK, lets get this party started

VOTE JAIL BLADE6119

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Note - this is not a random Day 1 vote. I almost never put votes on Blade early in games. But I would prefer not to spell out my logic quite yet as it may end up correcting the behavior of other assassins. I will post on this before the end of the day.

2nd Note - this is not a "seer" view or anything like that either. It represents an inductive leap that may or may not be correct. Which is why I would encourage people to come forward if they think I'm making a poor play. There are a couple of people who I would definitely listen to at this point in the game and immediately unvote Blade if they instruct me to do so.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Note - this is not a random Day 1 vote. I almost never put votes on Blade early in games. But I would prefer not to spell out my logic quite yet as it may end up correcting the behavior of other assassins. I will post on this before the end of the day.

2nd Note - this is not a "seer" view or anything like that either. It represents an inductive leap that may or may not be correct. Which is why I would encourage people to come forward if they think I'm making a poor play. There are a couple of people who I would definitely listen to at this point in the game and immediately unvote Blade if they instruct me to do so.

How can we have that kind of inductive leap already? We haven't even had everyone check in yet. Could there really have been a mistake already to show someone as being an assassn?

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 01:37 PM
How can we have that kind of inductive leap already? We haven't even had everyone check in yet. Could there really have been a mistake already to show someone as being an assassn?

Brian, I obviously think so since I put the vote out and framed it like this.

The only reason I'm not spelling out my reasons right now is BECAUSE everyone has not checked in yet and I don't want to provide the assassins with what I'm looking for at this point. But I will do so upon returning home from work today (probably 60-90 minutes before the deadline).

It is entirely possible that I'm seeing something that isn't there with Blade. Which is why I left it open for people to vouch for him. I don't think one person on his faction doing so would significantly impact the outcome of the game - I figure that we will collectively start piecing together factions pretty quickly.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 01:44 PM
It is entirely possible that I'm seeing something that isn't there with Blade. Which is why I left it open for people to vouch for him. I don't think one person on his faction doing so would significantly impact the outcome of the game - I figure that we will collectively start piecing together factions pretty quickly.

I may be missing something in the rules, but would people in his faction even know him?

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 01:45 PM
I know my faction leader and I believe that by the end of the day I will know my faction members.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 01:46 PM
I may be missing something in the rules, but would people in his faction even know him?

Nevermind, I answered my own question.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Let me come at this from another direction, Brian:

If you had to pick one person to defend at this point, would you go with Blade or Anxiety? We don't have a lot of posts from either of them yet ... but with the information we currently have I think Blade is making a play.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 01:53 PM

If you had to pick one person to defend at this point, would you go with Blade or Anxiety? We don't have a lot of posts from either of them yet ... but with the information we currently have I think Blade is making a play.

We are on page 3 of the game, right? I didn't miss a whole bunch of posts? How did this come to a choice between Blade and Anxiety?

Lorena
09-26-2006, 01:54 PM

Really stupid question here, but what exactly is "checking in"? Is it, "noble checking in", or something similar to that? Or is it simply posting in the thread?

RealDeal
09-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Hoops, it's always hard for me to resist a Blade bandwagon, but it's pretty weird to do the "vote for x now, I'll explain later" thing, particularly on the first day. I've seen two posts from Blade, neither seemed interesting. Could you maybe explain a little more?

Lorena
09-26-2006, 01:56 PM
I remember perfectly well what happened last game with the "I'll explain later" thing.

RealDeal
Dola, I'm sensitive to this because I was killed that way last game. GE placed his vote and then said he would explain later, and there was nothing there at the end of the day.

BrianD
Really stupid question here, but what exactly is "checking in"? Is it, "noble checking in", or something similar to that? Or is it simply posting in the thread?

I just meant posting in the thread. Most people don't have much to say at the beginning of the game, but they do post *something* just to let people know they are around. It helps to differentiate between the people that haven't figured out what to say from the people that haven't been able to get to the board yet.

Lorena
09-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I just meant posting in the thread. Most people don't have much to say at the beginning of the game, but they do post *something* just to let people know they are around. It helps to differentiate between the people that haven't figured out what to say from the people that haven't been able to get to the board yet.

Ahh... okay, thanks for the clarification BrianD.

ntndeacon
09-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Hoops, I can't imagine why anyone's vote could be anything but random. Isn't the first person accused in this game usually innocent? I know I haven't seen anything in Blade's behavior yet that was suspicious.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Brian, I can see where you would be worried that I'm trying to trap you here or provide information to the assassins. That is not my goal - what I want to see happen is that my JAIL vote goes towards an assassin.

Right now I have it on Blade. I strongly suspect that Blade is not part of the same faction as Anxiety. I suspect you are in a faction with one of the two.
- If you tell me to back off Blade, I'll do so and consider moving my vote to Anxiety (not a 100% certainty).
- If you tell me that you trust Anxiety equally with Blade, or more than Blade, then I'll leave my vote on Blade and wait for someone to come in and argue for/against having my vote on Blade.

There is incentive for my faction in being right, and in being first to be right. Guessing wrong is punished in the points total, so I would prefer not to be wrong - thus I'm asking for someone to back Blade if they think I'm making a bad move. The risk/reward in doing so is establishing a relationship with Blade early in the game. That relationship is likely faction-based, which is information that both the assassins and other factions will use as they play the game. But, personally, I would rather save a member of my faction from jail (and possible execution) than protect a portion of my faction identities.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I think this will be the least random first day vote I have ever cast. Because as a noble, I already know the role of my leader. And I expect to know the identities of my faction members by the end of the day. So I will be working with a personal "cleared" list on Day 1 - a luxury that I never have in other games.

In terms of explaining what is going on, I can do it now if people really think that is the way to go. But in doing so it will likely make the assassins a little more cautious in their play for the remainder of the afternoon. If I have one of their members caught right now, they are already spooked. But they do not really know what behavior to avoid. If I spell it out now, it helps them play better over the next few hours.

I'm not positive I'm right - that is why I'm asking that if anyone KNOWS that I am wrong that they tell me. I don't know if BrianD is doing exactly that right now, or if he is just curious about my approach.

RD and DC - if I do not come forward with my thought process on this by midnight (leaving some wiggle room in here for real life emergencies) then I would strongly suggest you jail and kill me ASAP. I will definitely post my logic - later in the day, but will do so now if the hue and cry to do so is deafening.

RealDeal
09-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Um, and why Anxiety? I just don't get it at all.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Brian, I can see where you would be worried that I'm trying to trap you here or provide information to the assassins. That is not my goal - what I want to see happen is that my JAIL vote goes towards an assassin.

Right now I have it on Blade. I strongly suspect that Blade is not part of the same faction as Anxiety. I suspect you are in a faction with one of the two.
- If you tell me to back off Blade, I'll do so and consider moving my vote to Anxiety (not a 100% certainty).
- If you tell me that you trust Anxiety equally with Blade, or more than Blade, then I'll leave my vote on Blade and wait for someone to come in and argue for/against having my vote on Blade.

There is incentive for my faction in being right, and in being first to be right. Guessing wrong is punished in the points total, so I would prefer not to be wrong - thus I'm asking for someone to back Blade if they think I'm making a bad move. The risk/reward in doing so is establishing a relationship with Blade early in the game. That relationship is likely faction-based, which is information that both the assassins and other factions will use as they play the game. But, personally, I would rather save a member of my faction from jail (and possible execution) than protect a portion of my faction identities.

I have no specific info on either of them, so I am not going to try to influence you in either direction. I'm just surprised you feel so strongly about anyone, let alone two people already. I would chalk it up to just knowing that they aren't in your faction, but as I understand it, you lose points if you jail/lynch a non-assassin, so there has to be something more there...

Abe Sargent
09-26-2006, 02:14 PM

WTF? Why am I always getting mentioned on Day One?

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 02:16 PM
RealDeal, I think that BrianD is on the same faction as either Anxiety or Blade, but not both. So that is why Anxiety.

Even if BrianD thinks that Blade is a part of his faction I would encourage him to double-check his assumptions. They are probably correct, and mine are most likely wrong under this scenario, but I will still ask him to do so.

Abe Sargent
09-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Heh, my above post was at PI time.

Abe Sargent
09-26-2006, 02:20 PM
RealDeal, I think that BrianD is on the same faction as either Anxiety or Blade, but not both. So that is why Anxiety.

Even if BrianD thinks that Blade is a part of his faction I would encourage him to double-check his assumptions. They are probably correct, and mine are most likely wrong under this scenario, but I will still ask him to do so.

And the part of Blade this game will be played by hoopsguy.

That's a WW game I should do. Where everybody gets somebody else as a role and you have to play Schmidty "I'm the worst WW player evah," or Blade, "Everybody is a wolf," or hoopsguy, "let me give you every piece of information on every post player X has ever made," or Chubby, "You are a wolf and I know it! (he says to the seer.)"

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 02:21 PM
I have no specific info on either of them, so I am not going to try to influence you in either direction. I'm just surprised you feel so strongly about anyone, let alone two people already. I would chalk it up to just knowing that they aren't in your faction, but as I understand it, you lose points if you jail/lynch a non-assassin, so there has to be something more there...

Well, yes and no. For better or worse, putting a vote out there gets conversation going. I would stress that Day 1 in this format is not the throwaway that it is in most games because every noble (non-faction leader) should have a person on their trusted list. That list, by the end of the day, should likely include multiple people.

Even if we are on different factions, we have an opportunity to collaborate together, to some extent, to try and nail an assassin. That is my primary goal early, with a secondary goal of boosting my faction relative to the other factions.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 02:23 PM
And the part of Blade this game will be played by hoopsguy.

That's a WW game I should do. Where everybody gets somebody else as a role and you have to play Schmidty "I'm the worst WW player evah," or Blade, "Everybody is a wolf," or hoopsguy, "let me give you every piece of information on every post player X has ever made," or Chubby, "You are a wolf and I know it! (he says to the seer.)"

This concept has been discussed before - someday someone will pull the trigger on it. I expect hilarity would ensue.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, yes and no. For better or worse, putting a vote out there gets conversation going. I would stress that Day 1 in this format is not the throwaway that it is in most games because every noble (non-faction leader) should have a person on their trusted list. That list, by the end of the day, should likely include multiple people.

Even if we are on different factions, we have an opportunity to collaborate together, to some extent, to try and nail an assassin. That is my primary goal early, with a secondary goal of boosting my faction relative to the other factions.

So you are throwing out a vote for Blade figuring that if he is a Noble Leader, someone will vouch for him? And if he isn't a leader....what then? I guess I can understand the idea of getting all of the factons to identify themselves, I just didn't see where the "knowledge" of Blade came from.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Brian, I'm just about positive that I know the role of one of my fellow nobles that is not the noble leader. If that person was in real danger of getting put in jail I would speak on their behalf today. So this isn't about making a play at identifying another noble leader.

Truth be told, if I'm going to be wrong I would prefer that I'm wrong about a different noble leader based on the points system.

Brian, let me take this from a little different direction - what do you suppose is the goal of the assassins today, other than to avoid being jailed?

BrianD
09-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Brian, I'm just about positive that I know the role of one of my fellow nobles that is not the noble leader. If that person was in real danger of getting put in jail I would speak on their behalf today. So this isn't about making a play at identifying another noble leader.

Truth be told, if I'm going to be wrong I would prefer that I'm wrong about a different noble leader based on the points system.

Brian, let me take this from a little different direction - what do you suppose is the goal of the assassins today, other than to avoid being jailed?

I suppose they would want to see one of the important roles jailed so that person's function couldn't be performed. I'd have to look at the opening descrption again to see which role would be best jailed. Another goal might be to make people think they are part of their factions?

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 02:39 PM
And, a separate conversation piece - the following people have not posted since the start of Day 1:

Qwikshot
Lonestargirl
Bulletsponge
Bek
Greyroofoo
St. Cronin
Kingfc22
Chief Rum
WVUFan

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 02:40 PM
I suppose they would want to see one of the important roles jailed so that person's function couldn't be performed. I'd have to look at the opening descrption again to see which role would be best jailed. Another goal might be to make people think they are part of their factions?

And how would you go about doing this?

Abe Sargent
09-26-2006, 02:41 PM

To get as much info as possible. And you are making that more likely. Good job hoops!

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Anxiety, information cuts both ways. If we know the faction members then we can easily identify the assassins. Which I feel is our primary goal.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 02:45 PM
And how would you go about doing this?

I'm not sure. I suppose I might try to identify a leader and then show myself to be overly attached to him/her and try to mix in with all of the real faction members that are showing themselves to be attached to him/her?

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Victory Conditions:

Each side has its own set of victory conditions and can achieve various levels of success.

For the Assassins a normal victory is achieved when a 1-1 ratio of free Assassins and Nobles happens or if the Assassins cause a Revolt. A major victory is if an assassin is crowned king.

For the Nobles a minor victory is achieved if a non-assassin Noble, of a tolerated faction, is crowned king. A normal victory is achieved if a non-assassin Noble from one’s own faction is crowned king OR if all Assassins have been executed. A major victory is achieved if there are no free assassins and a noble from his faction is crowned king.

Dead players are assumed to have one less rank of victory than alive players (so a Normal Victory becomes a Minor Victory)

We lose the game if the assassins assume the thrown via Revolution. We can only get a major victory by eliminating the assassins. We get a normal victory by executing all the assassins.

If we take away their ability to hide, we pretty quickly achieve a normal victory. Now obviously a plan of "everyone admit their faction" doesn't work because the assassins will call out a faction as well. So we still have to use some old fashioned detective work. That is what I'm trying to do today. If information comes out that the assassins use better than we do, then shame on us.

Chief Rum
09-26-2006, 02:52 PM
You can take one off of that list. I'm up and around now (on vacation and had a late nighty ;) ).

And now that I have had a chance to read through this, hoops, I think you're trying to play us. It has the feel of a "hiding in plain sight" strategy, although it would be odd to put a target on yourself so early in the game if you were an assassin.

But jailing you isn't killing you (yet), so I feel pretty safe in doing this.

JAIL HOOPSGUY

I may change my vote once you explain more your reasoning, but right now, this seems the proper vote to me.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Chief, here is the explanation - read your vote for me as I was typing this up.

Brian, here is how I would approach it as a bad guy.

1.) Sit back and watch early posts
2.) Try to identify one of the "codes" the factions are using
3.) Incorporate it into my post

This is what I think Blade has done today. Finding a way into a circle of trust is essential for the wolves in any WW game. In this one it is damaging in another sense, because they damage our ability to make effective use of points at the end of the day.

I think Blade went this direction, picking up on a cue from a couple of earlier posters. That is why I'm voting for him. So, if you are a person who believes Blade is a part of your faction based on his one post then I would ask you to double-check the message you got from your faction leader and make sure that Blade's post fits with it.

Post #98
I wont be around for another 4-5 hours...just had a second in between classes to say hello, so i shall.

Hello

Off to accounting, yay http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/images/smilies/frown.gif

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 02:56 PM
I can go ahead and post what I think the "cue" was that Blade included here if you want me to do so.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 03:04 PM
I think Blade went this direction, picking up on a cue from a couple of earlier posters. That is why I'm voting for him. So, if you are a person who believes Blade is a part of your faction based on his one post then I would ask you to double-check the message you got from your faction leader and make sure that Blade's post fits with it.

Post #98

Are you addressing this to me specifically, or was that a general *you*?

Abe Sargent
09-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Okay, hoops, I'll follow your lead for now:

Jail Blade

I may not be on later tonight, if you'll remember, Tuesday night is DN around the Abe's Hacienda (Date Night). I need to get my vote in now.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 03:07 PM
I can go ahead and post what I think the "cue" was that Blade included here if you want me to do so.

Can I guess? Was it...the ellipses? :)

Chief Rum
09-26-2006, 03:08 PM

I would like that, yes.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 03:08 PM
BrianD, that is a general "you" - for anyone who thinks that Blade is part of their faction, I would ask that you double-check your PM from the leader and verify that Blade is giving exactly the right information, rather than something close.

I have one person that I have identified as being part of my faction (besides the leader). I'll further validate him/her again tomorrow when the new message comes out, assuming the nature of the PM lends itself towards that.

After reviewing a couple of my posts, I wonder if some other factions might be mistaking me as one of their own as well. Just as the wolves are looking at the messages for clues, so am I. I want to know who are the other nobles so I can make a better vote today.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Chief, Brian already posted it ... see Post #140.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 03:14 PM
We lose the game if the assassins assume the thrown via Revolution.

Every once in awhile I hate the no-edit component of the game ... guess I have football on the mind.

I may try to incorporate an ellipsis into every post the rest of the way, just for grins. Please do not take this as a sign that I am affiliated with any faction that is using this as a signal in their posts today ;)

WVUFAN
09-26-2006, 03:15 PM
The first day is always an exercise in futility.

Again, no particular reason for this ...

JAIL SALDANA

BrianD
09-26-2006, 03:17 PM

Did you notice that because it was part of your code, or did you just think it odd that 4 people used them early in the game?

WVUFAN
09-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Oops, got two different posts screwed up there. :-)

I meant to say:

JAIL HOOPSGUY -- I was PM'in Saldana and got the nicks screwed up. :-)

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 03:18 PM
WVU, I really do not think today is an exercise in futility.

From Post #124:
I would stress that Day 1 in this format is not the throwaway that it is in most games because every noble (non-faction leader) should have a person on their trusted list. That list, by the end of the day, should likely include multiple people.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 03:19 PM
The first day is always an exercise in futility.

Again, no particular reason for this ...

JAIL SALDANA

I forget, are there negative points for voting for someone that isn't in the game?

RealDeal
09-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Ok, so Hoopsguy believes that ellipses were the code for a faction, I get that.
Blade used the ellipses.
now I still don't understand the Anxiety thing.
Also, is hoops' point that Blade was using the ellipses incorrectly?
Also, why jail Blade, why not execute him if you think he is a baddie?

I'm still trying to understand everything. Because of my history with Blade, I really want to make sure I have a good reason before voting him to jail or death the first day.

hoopsguy
Brian, what is the right answer to this one? If I say it wasn't part of my code, then I'm lying to protect my membership, right?

That said, it was not part of my code. If it was part of someone's code today, they will probably be able to verify tomorrow that I'm not part of their faction. But if that is indeed a key part of one faction's code their leader should look for something a little tougher to pick out tomorrow.

BrianD
Blade used the ellipses.

I'm still trying to understand everything. Because of my history with Blade, I really want to make sure I have a good reason before voting him to jail or death the first day.

You can't execute someone who isn't in jail.

Chief Rum
09-26-2006, 03:23 PM
hoops, that seems quite a reach. Looking back at the posts, in your very first post on the new day, you used an ellipsis. But you are saying now that that is NOT a sign for your faction.

BrianD's response was odd in that he asked why the thread was so slow just an hour or so into things. It might have been just another check in post, or maybe he was trying to find an excuse to get a post in to get his ellipsis in.

Or it might have been nothing at all, and the ellipsis means nothing.

And if you aren't claiming the ellipsis as your own faction's signal, how do you know Blade and BrianD aren't on the same team but unknownst to each other? I have reason to believe there are at least three members to each faction (based on my simple math). What if neither Blade or Briad are their faction's leader? They would then know the leader but not each other. And an ellipsis isn't enough right now for Brian to throw out protection for Blade.

WVUFAN
09-26-2006, 03:25 PM
WVU, I really do not think today is an exercise in futility.

From Post #124:

You have a point in that there's people you know are safe, and hense won't vote to jail or kill them, but otherwise, it's honestly a crapshoot, even you have to admit that. The nature of this game will make votes have meaning quicker, but not the first round.

In other words, I'm picking your name out of a virtual hat, not because I necessarily think you're an Assassin.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Real, let me expand a little on your post:

Blade was a long way from the first person to include an ellipsis in his post. The first person posting in line with a code is near-cleared for me. Every person who follows is a little more suspect.

The Anxiety thing - Brian was asking me about Blade. Earlier, I had thought he might be part of a faction with Anxiety based on logic besides the ellipsis - I had not yet classified Brian. One of my posts had an ellipsis in it, but I'm not a member of that faction so I figured the same could be true of Brian.

So, I figured that BrianD believes he is aligned with either Blade or Anxiety. I figured I would give him an option of indicating which one he trusted - if he picked Blade then I would unvote Blade. But it was not meant as an either/or for my vote with regards to Anxiety.

I thought we had to jail first, then execute in this version of the game. I'll double-check the rules on this.

Chief Rum
09-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Blade used the ellipses.

Ditto on the Anxiety thing, too, REal DEal.

hoops can you explain that one?

BrianD
09-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Brian, what is the right answer to this one? If I say it wasn't part of my code, then I'm lying to protect my membership, right?

That said, it was not part of my code. If it was part of someone's code today, they will probably be able to verify tomorrow that I'm not part of their faction. But if that is indeed a key part of one faction's code their leader should look for something a little tougher to pick out tomorrow.

There really isn't a right or wrong answer. The ellipses could be part of a code, but I'm going to guess it wasn't. The tricky part of using codes in messages is that you have to come up with something people wouldn't do accidentally, or in normal conversation. Lots of people use ellipses, so that wouldn't work so well as a code. It is true that there have been at least three variations so far today (words connected by 3 dots, words connected by 3 dots and a space, words connected by a space followed by 3 dots followed by a space), but that is still a dangerous thing to use since it is easy for people to use them without realizing it was a code.

Out of curiosity, was I the first around here to use a code system a few games back? I'm wondering if I opened Pandora's Box with that one? I made the system fairly elaborate to prevent accidental inclusion...which is very easy to have happen.

Chief Rum
09-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Oh hoops responded about ANxiety while I posted.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 03:32 PM
So, I figured that BrianD believes he is aligned with either Blade or Anxiety. I figured I would give him an option of indicating which one he trusted - if he picked Blade then I would unvote Blade. But it was not meant as an either/or for my vote with regards to Anxiety.

I don't know if I said this specifially before, but I have no reason to believe that I am in a faction with Blade or Anxiety. It is possible that I am, but I have no reason to believe that I am.

As far as the ellipses go...I use them a lot. I'm probably going to use them more now because it has become fun. :)

I thought we had to jail first, then execute in this version of the game. I'll double-check the rules on this.

That is my understanding too.

WVUFAN
09-26-2006, 03:33 PM
-.-. --- -.. . ... / .- .-. . / ..-. ..- -. / ..--.. /

:)

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 03:35 PM

In fairness to Blade, he's always making a play. :p

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Chief, I would agree it is a reach. I'm not saying I have drop-dead proof of Blade as a bad guy here. But it is a Day 1 theory and I ran with it. And I reserve the right to change my mind, depending on how much resistance I run into from other participants.

At the very least, I am trying to maximize the game rather than sitting back and saying "Day 1 is random" and throwing virtual darts for my vote.

As far as protecting a suspected teammate, I would definitely do it if I felt, based on their posts, that they part of my faction. If BrianD felt like Blade was a teammate, then he should try to help him even if he isn't 100% sure. If BrianD felt that Blade was his teammate because of an ellipsis, then I'm telling him to make sure it is legit.

Keep in mind that I was the first person to post today using an ellipsis:

Post #85 by Hoopsguy 7:26AM (CST)
Post #87 by BrianD 8:58AM (CST)
Post #97 by Dodgerchick with a couple of them
Post #98 by Blade

I put the vote out there at #100.

BrianD

Not really. :)

ntndeacon
... I... don't...understand...why... using...ellipses...would...be...a...good...code...

(Ellipses ARE fun!)

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 03:37 PM
There really isn't a right or wrong answer. The ellipses could be part of a code, but I'm going to guess it wasn't. The tricky part of using codes in messages is that you have to come up with something people wouldn't do accidentally, or in normal conversation. Lots of people use ellipses, so that wouldn't work so well as a code. It is true that there have been at least three variations so far today (words connected by 3 dots, words connected by 3 dots and a space, words connected by a space followed by 3 dots followed by a space), but that is still a dangerous thing to use since it is easy for people to use them without realizing it was a code.

Out of curiosity, was I the first around here to use a code system a few games back? I'm wondering if I opened Pandora's Box with that one? I made the system fairly elaborate to prevent accidental inclusion...which is very easy to have happen.

I came back to a fun discussion i see...2 things for now:

First of all, i didnt even know that dash was an elipse until you said it. It is not a code im trying to crack, it is merely how i express a random number in between two points.

Secondly, codes have been used before that many times. I believe WVUfan and i had an very complex code awhile ago that no one even even know we used(never mentioned it until right now) during one game. They key was we made it soo complex no one would accidently use it, but not too complex where it seems out of the ordinary. As well, it had to be too tough to crack as a bad guy, but not too hard for ourselves to use it in normal conversation. Elipses, to me, are far too likely to be used in conversation by random players. I know what my faction leader sent me in the message, and it had nothing to do with elipses.

Hoops, i just wanted to point out you picked two of the more experienced players and tried to make them the only two options on day 1. Usually when your bad you like to present ideas but vote as a follower on day one. So im leaning towards you being good right now. So work with me a little here, as as i did for you last game with my distrust

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 03:37 PM
"Checking in" is basically an acknowledgement that you've received your role, whatever it may be. Most people make a fluff post claiming to be whatever the "red shirt" is in the game (nobles here), which is pretty pointless because we all know that some are lying. :)

BrianD
09-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Hoops, I admire the vigor. I don't know that I am coming with you on this one, but I applaud the effort.

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Chief, I would agree it is a reach. I'm not saying I have drop-dead proof of Blade as a bad guy here. But it is a Day 1 theory and I ran with it. And I reserve the right to change my mind, depending on how much resistance I run into from other participants.

At the very least, I am trying to maximize the game rather than sitting back and saying "Day 1 is random" and throwing virtual darts for my vote.

As far as protecting a suspected teammate, I would definitely do it if I felt, based on their posts, that they part of my faction. If BrianD felt like Blade was a teammate, then he should try to help him even if he isn't 100% sure. If BrianD felt that Blade was his teammate because of an ellipsis, then I'm telling him to make sure it is legit.

Keep in mind that I was the first person to post today using an ellipsis:

Post #98 by Blade

Hoops, first of all i view this more as you trying to eliminate rival factions then assasins. I figure you think if i am bad, bonus. If not, im still not in your faction. From what you have said im fairly certain were not in the same faction, which is fine. But im good, and jailing me will only delay your own factions crowning due to points lost(esp. since you cast the first vote)

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 03:42 PM
And i have a VERY HARD time believing you are truly going to reveal your other faction members this early in the game, especially that you know the role of one, when your faction is your key to victory. So i have a hard time believing your claims about the code(which you hint at in your post # comments), and your claims that you will reveal your freinds tomorrow.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm not planning on giving out my own faction clue, nor any others that I think might be in play at the moment. But I have a couple of indicators that I'm pretty convinced are "faction tells" that I'm using to start my safe list today. Heck, one of them that I'm less sure on may pertain to Blade as well ...

Chief (and WVU), voting for me is not going to help your faction today. I know that you would expect that response from me no matter what side I'm playing on, but consider that I posted very early today and that my first post does in fact contain my faction code (no, not an ellipsis). That would be challenging to fake as an assassin.

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Can I guess? Was it...the ellipses? :)

That's an... interesting... choice as a code, considering that some people (myself included) will tend to use ellipses while musing. I'd tend to think that I've done it on day 1 in the past, though I'm not sure.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 03:45 PM
And i have a VERY HARD time believing you are truly going to reveal your other faction members this early in the game, especially that you know the role of one, when your faction is your key to victory. So i have a hard time believing your claims about the code(which you hint at in your post # comments), and your claims that you will reveal your freinds tomorrow.

If he knows the identity of one of his faction members, maybe we should be scouring his posts to see if there is anything matching anyone else. I believe he and Chief Rum were the only ones to use a space-3dot-space ellipse. Maybe the current vote for Hoops is meant to throw people off after a later switch.

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm not planning on giving out my own faction clue, nor any others that I think might be in play at the moment. But I have a couple of indicators that I'm pretty convinced are "faction tells" that I'm using to start my safe list today. Heck, one of them that I'm less sure on may pertain to Blade as well ...

Chief (and WVU), voting for me is not going to help your faction today. I know that you would expect that response from me no matter what side I'm playing on, but consider that I posted very early today and that my first post does in fact contain my faction code (no, not an ellipsis). That would be challenging to fake as an assassin.

SO you want me to believe you are too poor of a player to make such a ploy? I think highly of you hoops, you know that. Trying to say it would be too difficult to fake is not something ill buy from you

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm not planning on giving out my own faction clue, nor any others that I think might be in play at the moment.

So what was the WHOLE deal with the elipses, the major reason you voted for me...or this post where you refer to yourself using the elipse?Keep in mind that I was the first person to post today using an ellipsis:

Post #98 by Blade

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Blade, I have expressly said I won't reveal my own code. But if I saw one of my faction members in trouble I would back them indirectly/directly to try and keep them out of jail.

As far as complex codes, the short message (12 words) does make it a little more difficult.

Blade, I'll work through this with you if you have any other theories to present. I think since the time I first posted the vote I said that I was willing to move it if someone came up with a good reason to not have it there.

Personally, I'm satisfied to have gotten some real Day 1 conversation flowing, although not too excited about attracting two votes in the process.

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Blade, I have expressly said I won't reveal my own code. But if I saw one of my faction members in trouble I would back them indirectly/directly to try and keep them out of jail.

As far as complex codes, the short message (12 words) does make it a little more difficult.

Blade, I'll work through this with you if you have any other theories to present. I think since the time I first posted the vote I said that I was willing to move it if someone came up with a good reason to not have it there.

Personally, I'm satisfied to have gotten some real Day 1 conversation flowing, although not too excited about attracting two votes in the process.

While i do agree with you trying to get people to reveal information, you also know my views on that topic. I think it is far too early in the game for me to be telling you information that may allow bad guys to get in our groups or to kill my fellow faction members. You claimed a code, claimed i tried to latch onto it, then said you wont reveal your code or anyone elses you even suspect. And now you want me to give you ideas of what clues i see. Im sorry hoops, those chain of events do not look beneficial to the good cause.

VOTE JAIL HOOPSGUY

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 03:53 PM

The code system was originally used in Barkeep's previous game, for exactly the same purpose Hoops is suggesting here -- for faction members to identify themselves to one another and to the leader. I would presume that it's something Barkeep planned for in setting this one up.

The benefit is that you have an early "circle of trust". The hazard is that if you lose a fast-talker, they've cracked your circle.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Blade, here is how I saw the chain of events prior to the vote:

1. You are in thread
2. You are not posting in thread for awhile - catching up on events
3. You drop a quick post and are out for a few hours
4. The post contains the ellipsis that I have seen as a recurring theme in posts today

Is the ellipsis really an indicator for a faction? Who knows - it isn't really important. What is important, as far as my theory goes, is that you saw multiple people incorporate them into short early-morning posts. So you looked at this as an opportunity to align yourself with a faction.

I guarantee that would be my play as a bad guy in this game. I think you are cagey enough to do the same - I'm pulling the Blade "compliment you as I vote for you" trick here :)

Again, if/when someone comes with an alternate theory that doesn't involve jailing me, I'm willing to listen. So far I have not heard one ...

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 03:54 PM
If it's hoops vs. blade, for today I'm going to side with hoops.

VOTE JAIL Blade6119

bulletsponge
09-26-2006, 03:56 PM
And, a separate conversation piece - the following people have not posted since the start of Day 1:

Qwikshot
Lonestargirl
Bulletsponge
Bek
Greyroofoo
St. Cronin
Kingfc22
Chief Rum
WVUFan

i just got home from work, and im reading all the nutty paranioa

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Blade, I'm not sure I understand how I'm asking for information that may kill your fellow faction members. The assassins are going to try and kill people who are directly threatening them or who are on a team that is accumulating points too quickly (these are likely to coincide). If your team is going down the wrong path - you know, like voting for me - then you are not going to be accumulating points or threatening the assassins.

I'm willing to put out other theories on potential "noble tells" but I would find it interesting to see if anyone else has found anything at all up to this point. I've got four other possibilities (not including my own faction) for those tells and it would be reassuring to me to see someone independently validate one of them.

bulletsponge
09-26-2006, 04:00 PM

that says you watch gay porn while washing the dog.

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Blade, here is how I saw the chain of events prior to the vote:

1. You are in thread
2. You are not posting in thread for awhile - catching up on events
3. You drop a quick post and are out for a few hours
4. The post contains the ellipsis that I have seen as a recurring theme in posts today

Is the ellipsis really an indicator for a faction? Who knows - it isn't really important. What is important, as far as my theory goes, is that you saw multiple people incorporate them into short early-morning posts. So you looked at this as an opportunity to align yourself with a faction.

I guarantee that would be my play as a bad guy in this game. I think you are cagey enough to do the same - I'm pulling the Blade "compliment you as I vote for you" trick here :)

Again, if/when someone comes with an alternate theory that doesn't involve jailing me, I'm willing to listen. So far I have not heard one ...
I know of 2 things today:
1.My leader and his message
2.You voting for me and calling me a bad guy

I will not discuss #1, no matter what...it is far too early in the game for that. #2, well i dont know how to respond to it really. I dont think your bad, but im not going to let myself be jailed on day one. You have presented no alternative to me getting lynched, so i must vote you. I hope you reconsider, as i dont think either outcome is beneficial for the villagers, but im prepared to take you on if need be to surive.

Oh, and ------------------------- :D

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Blade, I'm not sure I understand how I'm asking for information that may kill your fellow faction members. The assassins are going to try and kill people who are directly threatening them or who are on a team that is accumulating points too quickly (these are likely to coincide). If your team is going down the wrong path - you know, like voting for me - then you are not going to be accumulating points or threatening the assassins.

I'm willing to put out other theories on potential "noble tells" but I would find it interesting to see if anyone else has found anything at all up to this point. I've got four other possibilities (not including my own faction) for those tells and it would be reassuring to me to see someone independently validate one of them.

Like i said, i have one fact and that is who my leader is and what message he sent out. I have ideas off that fact, but any of them reveal or hint strongly at what the message was. I am not willing to compromise my fellow faction members just to give you food for thought.

Your asking me for theories, and i have one. That one is fact, and i will not share it. Are you asking me to try and find codes in other posts that might reveal other factions? I just think thats bad news. As for finding assasins, im not sure of the best course this early in the game. But i dont believe your current idea if i understand you properly is the best route.

Greyroofoo
09-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Good Guy Checking in

And continuing to catch up....

bulletsponge
09-26-2006, 04:06 PM
I know of 2 things today:
1.My leader and his message
2.You voting for me and calling me a bad guy

I will not discuss #1, no matter what...it is far too early in the game for that. #2, well i dont know how to respond to it really. I dont think your bad, but im not going to let myself be jailed on day one. You have presented no alternative to me getting lynched, so i must vote you. I hope you reconsider, as i dont think either outcome is beneficial for the villagers, but im prepared to take you on if need be to surive.

Oh, and ------------------------- :D

people vote for you because your Blade, thats why. i for one like to keep you around because your good for 1 crazy moment each game. at least 1. i will vote for someone whom hasnt posted by tonight, i think we should put heat on nonposters

BrianD
09-26-2006, 04:07 PM
The code system was originally used in Barkeep's previous game, for exactly the same purpose Hoops is suggesting here -- for faction members to identify themselves to one another and to the leader. I would presume that it's something Barkeep planned for in setting this one up.

The benefit is that you have an early "circle of trust". The hazard is that if you lose a fast-talker, they've cracked your circle.

Bummer. I'm not as cool as I thought I was. :(

st.cronin
Well ... this is interesting. And, strangely enough, day 1 is unfolding exactly the same way for me as in the last game hosted by Barkeep. Which, as I posted above, was a game I was completely bewildered by. I don't expect I'll be much help to anybody this game. I don't think I agree with hoops analysis yet, but I don't exactly DISagree, either, so I'll go in a different direction.

JAIL LONESTARGIRL

Nothing to go on, except as far as I can tell she's not in my faction. Whatever that means.

WVUFAN
that says you watch gay porn while washing the dog.

Yeah, but only if I'm washing a St Bernard. Otherwise the gay porn has no meaning.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 04:09 PM
For what it is worth, I'm fine with a 1 vs 1 showdown with Blade under these rules. Loser get jail. When the points come out, if the totals are all negative then both Blade and I are essentially cleared. We lose a day in the process but two strong voices are added to the good guy list and it makes the decision process more challenging for the assassins going forward.

If someone knows that Blade is a member of their faction, based upon his posts, then I would love it if they would step forward to help avoid a noble vs noble showdown. But without that knowledge, I'm just fine being in any kind of 1 on 1 showdown, preferably with a tricky/good player that I already suspect.

I'm not a noble leader, I don't have any special role/powers that I know of, so the only thing I can bring to the game is my perspective. If having a run-off with Blade helps preserve special roles for a night, that is cool. I want my faction to win, but more importantly I want to see us take down the assassins and we will definitely learn something from a showdown today.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 04:12 PM
For what it is worth, I'm fine with a 1 vs 1 showdown with Blade under these rules. Loser get jail. When the points come out, if the totals are all negative then both Blade and I are essentially cleared. We lose a day in the process but two strong voices are added to the good guy list and it makes the decision process more challenging for the assassins going forward.

I don't believe it works this way. Points don't come out until thre is an execution. Just jailing someone won't update the point total.

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 04:13 PM

If someone knows that Blade is a member of their faction, based upon his posts, then I would love it if they would step forward to help avoid a noble vs noble showdown. But without that knowledge, I'm just fine being in any kind of 1 on 1 showdown, preferably with a tricky/good player that I already suspect.

I'm not a noble leader, I don't have any special role/powers that I know of, so the only thing I can bring to the game is my perspective. If having a run-off with Blade helps preserve special roles for a night, that is cool. I want my faction to win, but more importantly I want to see us take down the assassins and we will definitely learn something from a showdown today.

First of all, jailing one would clear that one. Not both "strong voices." if im jailed, you are in no ways cleared when the points come out negative.

And i repeat, i do not want my faction members to reveal. Just as many of hoops' team members have come forward to protect him as mine have to protect me(0). So stop calling for my faction to reveal to save me when yours has done nothing to clear you either

WVUFAN
09-26-2006, 04:14 PM

I gotta say, you've got a BUNCH of good points on this. There's no downside to a 1-1 like this. I also like that you're the first to make mention of this and are willing to do it to get the assassins. (which is the true first intent of everyone who is a Noble).

UNVOTE HOOPSGUY
JAIL BLADE

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 04:16 PM
I also like that you're the first to make mention of this and are willing to do it to get the assassins. (which is the true first intent of everyone who is a Noble).

A major victory is achieved when your leader is crowned, not when the assasins are no longer free. The first true intent of this game is to get my faction leader crowned, and it should be yours as well

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 04:16 PM
And i repeat, i do not want my faction members to reveal. Just as many of hoops' team members have come forward to protect him as mine have to protect me(0). So stop calling for my faction to reveal to save me when yours has done nothing to clear you either

Now, that's a very interesting point.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 04:17 PM
I don't believe it works this way. Points don't come out until thre is an execution. Just jailing someone won't update the point total.

Upon further review, looks like this is correct. Points are accumulated for jail decisions, but not posted until execution.

With that in mind, I'm not as excited about a 1:1 showdown because it doesn't really gain us anything. While putting me in jail won't impact me - I don't know of any night abilities that I possess - it does keep us from putting an assassin in jail who we can later execute.

WVUFAN
09-26-2006, 04:17 PM
A major victory is achieved when your leader is crowned, not when the assasins are no longer free. The first true intent of this game is to get my faction leader crowned, and it should be yours as well

The first true intent of the game is to kill the assassins. Secondly is not to be killed yourself. THIRD is for your faction to win. Let's not confuse who the real enemy here is.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Cronin, Post #188:
Nothing to go on, except as far as I can tell she's not in my faction. Whatever that means

How do you know she is not in your faction when she has not posted since the start of the day?

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 04:19 PM
A major victory is both no free assassins and one's own faction (not necessarily the leader) crowned king.

Getting one's own faction crowned will only result in a "normal" victory.

BrianD
09-26-2006, 04:20 PM
The first true intent of the game is to kill the assassins. Secondly is not to be killed yourself. THIRD is for your faction to win. Let's not confuse who the real enemy here is.

To be fair, you get your leader crowned (faction win) by killing assassins. Those goals aren't sequential, they are tied together.

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 04:21 PM
If his faction has a secret signal, and she has not posted since the start of the day, then ipso facto she has not confirmed herself as being in his faction. :)

Note that he said, "as far as I can tell".

BrianD
09-26-2006, 04:22 PM
A major victory is both no free assassins and one's own faction (not necessarily the leader) crowned king.

The leader is the only person who can be crowned. If one leader is killed, someone else becomes the leader.

Blade6119

I just looked that up to verify and your correct. Crowing your own king or killing all assasins both result in a normal victory. A major requires what you stated. I apologize if my post mislead anyone

Blade6119
If his faction has a secret signal, and she has not posted since the start of the day, then ipso facto she has not confirmed herself as being in his faction. :)

Note that he said, "as far as I can tell".

Maybe their faction message was "dont post tomorrow...miss the vote" ;)

JOKE^^^^

WVUFAN
09-26-2006, 04:24 PM
To be fair, you get your leader crowned (faction win) by killing assassins. Those goals aren't sequential, they are tied together.

Yeah, but killing assassin won't necessarily guarantee that the faction I belong to will be crowed, just A leader will be. My point, though, wasn't that we shouldn't be trying to further our faction, but rather that the emphasis should be killing the assassins.

Are we agreed on that?

Chief Rum
09-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Now, that's a very interesting point.

Agreed. Although, personally, I wouldn't mind if this turns against Blade (as it has with WVU switching), because then I no longer have the first vote on the highest vote getter. That said, if it switches back to hoops, I see no reason yet to change it. I don't think either is a baddie, but such is the crapitude that is the Day 1 vote.

st.cronin
Cronin, Post #188:

How do you know she is not in your faction when she has not posted since the start of the day?

I do not know she is not in my faction. I said as far as I can tell she is not in my faction. I reserve the right to change my vote when/if she posts.

If you remember what happened to me in Barkeep's last game, you should be able to read between the lines of what I'm saying.

Blade6119
Yeah, but killing assassin won't necessarily guarantee that the faction I belong to will be crowed, just A leader will be. My point, though, wasn't that we shouldn't be trying to further our faction, but rather that the emphasis should be killing the assassins.

Are we agreed on that?

I think killing the assasins is what is going to get your leader crowned, as you gain points by killing assasins. He is right, they are one-and-the-same

bulletsponge
09-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Cronin, Post #188:

do the assassins know each other? if so i think cronin just made a feudian slip. he just moved up my most likely assassin list

Vote Cronin time to go to jail

st.cronin
09-26-2006, 04:28 PM
do the assassins know each other? if so i think cronin just made a feudian slip. he just moved up my most likely assassin list

Vote Cronin time to go to jail

lol ... amazing

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Bullet, the assassins do know each other.

Cronin, going to refresh my memory of last game - it is a short one so this should not take too long.

WVUFAN
09-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Wait .. I just read the rules, and it doesn't say anything about the assassins knowing each other.

Barkeep, can we get a rules clarification on this?

bulletsponge
09-26-2006, 04:30 PM
lol ... amazing

yes, yes i am http://www.smileyhut.com/happy/cloud9.gif

st.cronin
hoops, when I said "what happened to me" I was really referring to what happened to my faction on day 1...

Mr. Wednesday
bulletsponge, the assassins all know each other and are allowed to communicate privately, typ. by PM but it's also been done by IM.

The faction members know only the faction leaders, but hoops has posited that at least one faction is attempting to use code embedded in posts to reveal themselves to their faction leader and each other. Given that this has occurred in the previous iteration of this game, that's a very likely supposition, though it does not necessarily indicate anything of hoops because he could remember it from that game.

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 04:31 PM
dola, I suppose it's possible the assassins don't know one another, but that would be highly unusual for one of these games. That's their advantage, to counteract the disadvantage of being heavily outnumbered.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 04:32 PM
From the Rules:

Assassins Powers and Roles

The Assassins may freely communicate with each other.

Chief Rum
09-26-2006, 04:33 PM
hoops, when I said "what happened to me" I was really referring to what happened to my faction on day 1...

st. cropnin, a lot of us weren't in that game. Could you do us a favor and give us a quick recap on what you're hinting at?

bulletsponge
09-26-2006, 04:33 PM
well im sticking by my vote for sure now. its as good as anyones right now

Fouts
09-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Lot of stuff being thrown around, but this looks interesting. Wouldn't you know at least 1 person in your faction?

I'm not sure about blade, but it did appear like he was trying to latch onto a code. Not sure who to vote for yet, as half the people haven't even checked in.

st.cronin
09-26-2006, 04:38 PM
st. cropnin, a lot of us weren't in that game. Could you do us a favor and give us a quick recap on what you're hinting at?

I'll just say that there are probably people in my faction who have posted, but it's impossible for me to say for sure about anybody. There are a couple of reasons why that's possible - either the "code" was too common, and has been used by more people than it's likely are in my faction, or else the "code" was too confusing, and has been mangled by people, or else there was no "code" and our fearless leader gave some other guidance which I am unable to make (public) use of.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Going from memory, and a quick read of the first 150 posts in that game, I think Cronin had a Night 0 message that was pretty confusing for him.

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Lot of stuff being thrown around, but this looks interesting. Wouldn't you know at least 1 person in your faction?
If you look at the parent in context, this is a non sequitur. Blade was discussed as a possible faction member, in which case, outside of codes arranged by the faction leader, no-one would know him.

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Dola and somewhat OT, I love the new vB feature taking you back to the quoted post... it was always such a royal pain to try to go back and look up the full post that somebody quoted in these games.

Fouts
09-26-2006, 04:48 PM
If you look at the parent in context, this is a non sequitur. Blade was discussed as a possible faction member, in which case, outside of codes arranged by the faction leader, no-one would know him.

Got it. I guess thats why hoops was asking for acknowledgement.

BTW, why do you keep using italics?

Qwikshot
09-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Checking in

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 04:49 PM

To clarify, this is assuming that Blade is not a faction leader himself.

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Got it. I guess thats why hoops was asking for acknowledgement.

BTW, why do you keep using italics?

It's something I commonly do for emphasis. I've done bold on a couple of occasions as well. Hopefully, there isn't another faction using italics as a code that now mistakenly thinks I'm one of their own. :p

Blade6119
Going from memory, and a quick read of the first 150 posts in that game, I think Cronin had a Night 0 message that was pretty confusing for him.

I just checked, and his faction won the game...so dont feel too bad for him :)

Fouts
I can understand italics being a code, but in every post? That's just silly. It's begging for others to suspect you.

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 04:53 PM
I can understand italics being a code, but in every post? That's just silly. It's begging for others to suspect you.

I use italics much as i assumed he was doing. To emphasize key points. I find bolding to be rather distracting from the rest of the post, and underlining to make the post seem jumbled. I use it on a fairly regular basis when i have points i want noticed

st.cronin
09-26-2006, 04:54 PM

I agree ... !!!!

Ok, now I'm just being silly.

Fouts
09-26-2006, 04:56 PM
I use italics much as i assumed he was doing. To emphasize key points. I find bolding to be rather distracting from the rest of the post, and underlining to make the post seem jumbled. I use it on a fairly regular basis when i have points i want noticed

So you are insinuating that he has a key point in every post today? Interesting.

bulletsponge
09-26-2006, 04:59 PM
i hope nobody spots my smiley code http://www.smileyhut.com/happy/laughbounce.gif

Barkeep49
09-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Want to post an important clarification:

It is possible for the game to end before all assassins are dead. If that is the case you only win IF your faction leader was crowned king or if a faction that is tolerated by your faction had its leader crowned king. This means that it is possible for some villagers to win and others to lose.

On the otherhand, it is also possible to kill all the assassins and not have any faction earn enough points to crown its leader king. In that case all surviving villagers get a normal victory, with the dead ones getting a "minor" victory.

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 05:02 PM
I most certainly do not have a key point in every post. I'm pretty sure that, at most, it's every other post.

(Note -- I repressed my impulse to use bold or italics in this post. :p)

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 05:03 PM
I would like to say congratulations on the victory to Faction B...Barkeep has run this game twice before, and both times that faction reigned supreme. So i assume it shall happen again ;)

Lorena
09-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Well, we'll be leaving shortly and I'm not entirely sure when we're coming back. So my completely random vote:

Jail ntndeacon

C-yall later.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 05:04 PM
How do people feel about trusted lists at this point? I've got what I feel is a pretty strong one emerging.

UNVOTE BLADE6119
VOTE BULLETSPONGE

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Correcting my voting syntax. Bullet is casting a vote right now for a player that I trust in this game.

UNVOTE JAIL BLADE6119
VOTE JAIL BULLETSPONGE

Greyroofoo
09-26-2006, 05:06 PM
i must've missed something

why bulletsponge?

Mr. Wednesday
09-26-2006, 05:07 PM
How do people feel about trusted lists at this point? I've got what I feel is a pretty strong one emerging.

I prefer to keep mine on the dl for a day or two... no sense in giving the assassins free targets.

Blade6119
09-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Vote count?

bulletsponge
09-26-2006, 05:08 PM
beats me

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Grey, I explained it in the next post. His vote for Cronin is for someone I trust.

I'm moving away from Blade because subsequent posts have moved me away from the ellipsis theory. Blade is now aligned with a emerging trust group (not the strongest one, in terms of certainty) in my mind.

hoopsguy
09-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Here is what I show for the vote count, as of Post #245:

Blade 3 -- Anxiety (139), MrW (179), WVU (193)
Hoops 2 -- Rum (135), Blade (176)
LSG 1 -- Cronin (188)
Cronin 1 -- Bullet (209)
Bullet 1 -- Hoops (240)
Ntdeacon 1 -- DC (238)

Greyroofoo
09-26-2006, 05:10 PM
sorry, didn't see the 2nd post before I posted

st.cronin
09-26-2006, 05:10 PM

UNVOTE BLADE6119
VOTE BULLETSPONGE

Well, I'm not really sold on anybody yet.

Barkeep49
09-26-2006, 05:11 PM
I have the following vote order
Chief Rum Hoopsguy
Anxiety Blade
Blade6119 hoopsguy
Mr. Wednesday Blade
st.cronin Lonestar
WVUFan Blade
Bulletsponge Cronin
Dodgerchick Ntndeacon
Hoopsguy Bulletsponge

Which leads to:
Blade 3 -- Anxiety, Mr. W, WVU
Hoopsguy 2 -- Rum, Blade
Lonestar 1 -- cronin
Cronin 1 -- Bullet
NTN 1 -- Dodgerchick
Bulletsponge 1 -- Hoopsguy

Barkeep49
09-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Damn hoopsguy and his efficient vote counting!

Edit: Still no votes from

Lonestargirl
Bek
Ntndeacon
Greyroofoo
Qwikshot
Lathum
BrianD
King
RealDeal
Fouts