PDA

View Full Version : Werewolf Forum?

Abe Sargent
09-27-2006, 01:09 PM
We needed a seperate forum for the one or two WW posts every two weeks?

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 01:10 PM
My PM to skydog, followed by his response, which i am now replying to.

Originally Posted by Blade6119
I dont agree with the decision to move WW to a seperate forum, due to the fact it has only 2 threads active at a time. Im willing to accept it though if you felt it more obtrusive then other items like the hot or not polls or political threads. I would like an explanation why the new forum is non-post count enabled though, as i cannot think of a good reason. As always, im trying to be respectful to you and voicing my complaint in private. I would appreciate similar respect in return, instead of jokes like the one you posted in reply to me in the thread.

-------------------------------------------------
Well, you complained in public...

I moved them because the #1 complaint I've received is about the Werewolf threads, and now that we've upgraded to vbulletin 3.6.0, it is (obviously) *very* easy to mass-move threads after doing a search. I'd never done it before now because it would have been a pain to move all of the threads. I would have had to do it one-by-one in the past. The post counts were taken down because they were skewing post counts tremendously.

BrianD
09-27-2006, 01:12 PM
I know I didn't vote for this.

Lorena
09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
We have like 1 thread a week, how in the hell is this a nuisance? C'mon man.

BrianD
09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
How are they skewing post counts? Is there some actual use for the numbers other than a vanity status thing?

Alan T
09-27-2006, 01:19 PM
I could care less if it counts post counts or not. I've been around these forums for long enough most people at least know me from either the early ootp days, or whatever. The extra clicks just means I am less likely to keep up with all the random topics in general discussion is all, so no big deal to me either.

Only concern I have is when it comes to advertising new games, many people might not check in here regularly if they aren't involved in the new game. Might be slower to get people to join games (longer time between games) because of this.

kingfc22
09-27-2006, 01:21 PM
What?! People lost posts...

GoldenEagle
09-27-2006, 01:23 PM
I am not sure what has gotten into Skydog, but he has made some very poor moderation decisions lately.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 01:25 PM
My PM to skydog, followed by his response, which i am now replying to.

Originally Posted by Blade6119
I dont agree with the decision to move WW to a seperate forum, due to the fact it has only 2 threads active at a time. Im willing to accept it though if you felt it more obtrusive then other items like the hot or not polls or political threads. I would like an explanation why the new forum is non-post count enabled though, as i cannot think of a good reason. As always, im trying to be respectful to you and voicing my complaint in private. I would appreciate similar respect in return, instead of jokes like the one you posted in reply to me in the thread.

-------------------------------------------------
Well, you complained in public...

I moved them because the #1 complaint I've received is about the Werewolf threads, and now that we've upgraded to vbulletin 3.6.0, it is (obviously) *very* easy to mass-move threads after doing a search. I'd never done it before now because it would have been a pain to move all of the threads. I would have had to do it one-by-one in the past. The post counts were taken down because they were skewing post counts tremendously.

My reply:

So threads like maximum football, PING:drunk guy, or Can child molesters be called hot? should all be moved as well, right? I would argue all of those, as well as threads i mentioned like the hot or nots or the countless political threads skew post counts as well.

I feel that the reason this action has occured is rather unjust. Firstly, I dont see how at most 2 threads are active at a time. This week alone i counted 14 hot or not threads. So i think removing it for being annoying is something that is both inappropriate use of power as well as quite hypocritical. I know when i was still a mod we discussed creating a WW forum, as well as a political fourm. Both ideas were shot down, rather soundly. So i would like to know what has changed in that regard. Was this idea voted on, or made as an executive decision?

I think saying that WW is not a good enough thread to earn posts, while threads like maximum football and others are, is one of the most baffling statements you have ever made. We havent always been friends, but i have agreed with most of your actions(including about me) until now.

Your argument is post counts are being skewed, so now we have to go remove threads like maximum football which are solely for post skewing, and edit all the multi-player fof and hattrick forums to non-post count after taking all threads out of GD that skew posts. Secondly, we have to create forums for any thread people complain about.

I dont feel like this is a sound decision, but am willing to hear both sides to this argument. I dont agree with it being seperated, but am OK with it. The post count decision throws me for a total loop, as i dont see how WW is worse then the other threads mentioned.

hoopsguy
09-27-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm pretty sure I care less about post counts that people complaining about Werewolf threads. Seriously, why do people consider this to be a status symbol?

If you invest any time around here you figure out which people are worth listening to and which ones probably are not - very little correlation with post counts.

I would post this in the main forum, but people might get the idea that I'm trying to get my post count back up :D

WVUFAN
09-27-2006, 01:28 PM
I think Molson got it right, and it's a shame:

This is what I don't get. At any given time, there's approximately 1 WW thread out of 50 (depending on your settings I guess) on the main page. What's the big deal? Segregation = the death of that particular topic.

This is not a good decision.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 01:28 PM
And skydog says me sharing my PM is the end of the discussion. Its a shame, i really was trying to have an honest discussion with him.

WVUFAN
09-27-2006, 01:31 PM
And skydog says me sharing my PM is the end of the discussion. Its a shame, i really was trying to have an honest discussion with him.

Why is this a secret?

Sigh.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 01:33 PM
I won't discuss the mod decision at all, but...

I find it VERY amusing that blade simulataneously says that post counts don't matter and then laments ad-naseum that this forum does not count posts.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Why is this a secret?

Sigh.

In my book, posting a PM publicly without asking the person first is ALWAYS in poor form. It's called a private message for a reason.

st.cronin
09-27-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't care at all about post count. I think we might want to think about a different way of planning games, though. I don't think we should wait til this game ends to start sign ups for the next game, for example.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 01:35 PM
I won't discuss the mod decision at all, but...

I find it VERY amusing that blade simulataneously says that post counts don't matter and then laments ad-naseum that this forum does not count posts.

I care that i lost post counts, where did i say that post counts dont matter?

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
In my book, posting a PM publicly without asking the person first is ALWAYS in poor form. It's called a private message for a reason.
Then have skydog publicly discuss his reasons. He has not, only making a joke for why he did it. Is that not poor form?

WVUFAN
09-27-2006, 01:40 PM

Normally, you're right, but he's said before that he has a tendency to respond to private PM's in a discussion like this, but there's a more than a few people who want to know why he did this with absolutely no warning or reason, and I think what Blade was trying to do at least tell everyone what Skydog was thinking, since he seems to be unwilling to do it himself.

When you make a fairly radical change like this, you should justify it, and he has not done it. The way it sounds now is he has no interest in rationalizing it outside of "I don't like WW threads", and has a fit when someone tries to create an avenue of discussion with him.

Who actually OWNS this board, btw? That's not a sarcastic question, it's a real one. Does Skydog have ownership of it, or is he the main moderator, with the board being owned by someone else?

Chief Rum
09-27-2006, 01:41 PM

Wouldn't you say it is Blade's right to post his own PM, if that is what he wishes to do? Who are you to tell him that he can't post his own message?

However, posting SkyDog's resposne was very poor form, that I agree compeltely.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 01:41 PM
My apologies, I thought Alan T's post was by you, not Alan.

Alan T
09-27-2006, 01:44 PM

I think it was Hoops and I who said we didn't care about post counts, not Blade.

Either way though, I find forum politics utterly boring and juvenile in general, so won't get involved in this particular topic either. I can see why this topic was moved into a seperate forum, however I don't see why it was singled out over other all the other more annoying and louder topics out there.

Without knowing any background in why this decision was made, it probably was just the case of petty people complaining about post counts and pointing to WW threads with 3 thousand replies moreso than the amount of volume of threads (like the hot or not threads).

If I had to guess, it was a decision based on people being adolescent about a meaningless thing like post counts that made this decision happen in the first place. Either way, it seems like a shortsighted decision, but I'm not really going to get involved.

I'm just worried about how to keep these going without people checking into these forums every day. Without kicking us off the board, this is as close as possible to saying they don't want these threads without coming out and saying it.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Normally, you're right, but he's said before that he has a tendency to respond to private PM's in a discussion like this, but there's a more than a few people who want to know why he did this with absolutely no warning or reason, and I think what Blade was trying to do at least tell everyone what Skydog was thinking, since he seems to be unwilling to do it himself.

When you make a fairly radical change like this, you should justify it, and he has not done it. The way it sounds now is he has no interest in rationalizing it outside of "I don't like WW threads", and has a fit when someone tries to create an avenue of discussion with him.

I'm not argueing the merit or lack of merit of the forum change. Like I said, I am not commenting on that. Your points have nothing to do with the validity of posting SD's PM. Post here all that you want that you want SD to answer your questions, but posting his PM is wrong and you're just trying to justify it because you don't like his answer.

Who actually OWNS this board, btw? That's not a sarcastic question, it's a real one. Does Skydog have ownership of it, or is he the main moderator, with the board being owned by someone else?

SkyDog owns the board.

Wouldn't you say it is Blade's right to post his own PM, if that is what he wishes to do? Who are you to tell him that he can't post his own message?

However, posting SkyDog's resposne was very poor form, that I agree compeltely.

That's what I'm trying to say.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm not argueing the merit or lack of merit of the forum change. Like I said, I am not commenting on that. Your points have nothing to do with the validity of posting SD's PM. Post here all that you want that you want SD to answer your questions, but posting his PM is wrong and you're just trying to justify it because you don't like his answer.
I sent this PM to skydog, to which i dont expect a reply. I was wrong to post his PM, and i apologized to him. I do believe though that this decision is one that should be reconsidered, and at the very least skydog needs to give some honest reasons in public:

I Thats fine, but i feel your views need to be shared. Im happy to delete those posts if you will share you honest views in public. So far, the only reason you have openly stated was a joke. If you dont want me to share your views, thats alright. But the forum deserves reasoning for why such a move took place, other then "i like it when people lose posts"

Sorry if you feel i betrayed your trust, in the future i will ensure to not posts your thoughts in public.

WVUFAN
09-27-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm just worried about how to keep these going without people checking into these forums every day. Without kicking us off the board, this is as close as possible to saying they don't want these threads without coming out and saying it.

He evidentally doesn't want "these WW people" on the board whereas people who talk about his little high school (which is not FOF related) or Hot or Not threads (which are not FOF related) or any other non FOF related discussions are perfectly cool.

I've played in a grand total of 2 1/2 WW games. The others I skip over, but I, nor any RATIONAL person would ever complain that they exist. They're clearly noted, have absolutely no bearing on other posts.

Oh, and since post count seems to be a rationale on how "far you can go" before getting boxed/banned, it is important.

After all, you can get away with being an "asshat" if you have a 3,000 post count, but not if you have a 200. Makes it more than just a status symbol.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 01:50 PM
SkyDog owns the board.

Skydog paid for some of it(i dont know exact #s), but i remember other members sending money in as well. So he owns it, but so do others. I was not one of those people, so im not trying to take any credit.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Skydog paid for some of it(i dont know exact #s), but i remember other members sending money in as well. So he owns it, but so do others. I was not one of those people, so im not trying to take any credit.

SkyDog owns the board. Blackadar used to own the board and when he left he gave it to SkyDog.

This has nothing to do with $$$.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 01:52 PM
After all, you can get away with being an "asshat" if you have a 3,000 post count, but not if you have a 200. Makes it more than just a status symbol.
:rolleyes:

Alan T
09-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Here is a humble suggestion on my part.. I know it won't make everyone happy since many people really care strongly about their post counts, but it hopefully will make the majority of people happy..

- WW games will be run in this forum where post counts are turned off therefore keeping those who are actually complaining about something such as player X's post count is inflated due to WW games happy.

- WW game announcements and sign up threads as well as new player needed threads be allowed to be posted in the general discussion section.. This will allow the visibility to new games or when new players are needed to be done in a non-annoying manner, and keep our ability to enjoy playing these games going.

I know that this doesn't address some of the smaller complaints such as too many clicks or the segregation issues, but could this at least be a happy middle compromise?

WVUFAN
09-27-2006, 01:53 PM

Well, without Blade posting his PM, we don't even know his answer. That's what I'm trying to say.

The rest of it I'll take to PM. (No, I won't post your PM. :) )

SkyDog owns the board.

Ok.

Abe Sargent
09-27-2006, 01:53 PM
I think it was a very poor decision unless I know SkyDog's total reasons. I am sending a pm to him, though, because he deserves that much, I feel.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 01:54 PM
SkyDog owns the board. Blackadar used to own the board and when he left he gave it to SkyDog.

Your right, it has to do with a decision that has been explained in public by a one line joke. Wade, im well aware of your dislike for me. This discussion is about an executive decision made that all but destroys WW in the long run, opens up countless problems now that threads can be deemed unworthy of post counts, and that has not been explained in any serious mannor in public.

WVUFAN
09-27-2006, 01:55 PM
:rolleyes:

You do know this is what Skydog himself has said in the past, right? That people who have posted more have more leeway than those who have not.

I'd be happy to find those posts and paste them here, if you like. Not trying to argue, but by the rolling eyes icon it seems you don't believe me.

Alan T
09-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh, and since post count seems to be a rationale on how "far you can go" before getting boxed/banned, it is important.

I'm not too worried about this reasoning, since in my time on this board, I am pretty sure that i have never done anything to cause someone to consider to box or ban me. (unless rooting against the Georgia Bulldogs is one of those type of infractions). I fully assume that any "mistake" I may make in the future will be judged based on my long standing in this community and what I have provided in the past to both FoF games as well as OOTP games (plus side content such as WW threads).

I would hope that there can be some happy medium met though on this so at least. I'm assuming if the people making these decisions are doing so rationally they will hopefully consider some compromise at least.

Abe Sargent
09-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Hmpf

wade moore
09-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Your right, it has to do with a decision that has been explained in public by a one line joke. Wade, im well aware of your dislike for me. This discussion is about an executive decision made that all but destroys WW in the long run, opens up countless problems now that threads can be deemed unworthy of post counts, and that has not been explained in any serious mannor in public.

First off, you totally misinterpreted my post. I was saying that the ownership of the board has nothing to do with $$$, not this decision.

Second of all, I don't know what you're talking about with your "im well aware of your dislike for me.". I'm actually very neutral towards you, there are people around here that I have dislike for (which I think I hide for the most part), but you are not one of them.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 02:08 PM
You do know this is what Skydog himself has said in the past, right? That people who have posted more have more leeway than those who have not.

I'd be happy to find those posts and paste them here, if you like. Not trying to argue, but by the rolling eyes icon it seems you don't believe me.

The only statements that I'm aware of revolve around brand new people on the board. These assertions that there is some sort of sliding scale based on post count is a FranklinNoble conspiracy that is simply not true. The only statements have been that someone who is relatively new and has almost all of their activity revolving around a controversial behavior will be viewed differently than someone who has been involved in many conversations and some small portion is controversial.

Kodos
09-27-2006, 02:08 PM
there are people around here that I have dislike for (which I think I hide for the most part), but you are not one of them.

HE HATES ME!

Kodos
09-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Maybe we can have a regular post count and a special werewolf post count. :)

Ben E Lou
09-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Here is a humble suggestion on my part.. I know it won't make everyone happy since many people really care strongly about their post counts, but it hopefully will make the majority of people happy..

- WW games will be run in this forum where post counts are turned off therefore keeping those who are actually complaining about something such as player X's post count is inflated due to WW games happy.

- WW game announcements and sign up threads as well as new player needed threads be allowed to be posted in the general discussion section.. This will allow the visibility to new games or when new players are needed to be done in a non-annoying manner, and keep our ability to enjoy playing these games going.

I know that this doesn't address some of the smaller complaints such as too many clicks or the segregation issues, but could this at least be a happy middle compromise?Done. Feel free to post players needed and game announcements in GD.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 02:11 PM
First off, you totally misinterpreted my post. I was saying that the ownership of the board has nothing to do with $$$, not this decision.

Second of all, I don't know what you're talking about with your "im well aware of your dislike for me.". I'm actually very neutral towards you, there are people around here that I have dislike for (which I think I hide for the most part), but you are not one of them.

I can agree with your first post, so if i misunderstood you i retract my statement.

Your second post is just a feeling i have held, one of which is aided by since my time as a mod the only posts i have seen from you in regards to me have been mocking. Much like your post in this thread, you seem to go out of your way to point of oddities and falsities in my posts(which you retracted in this thread). That, coupled with the fact not one mod said anything kind about me after my time as one leads me to this belief. If its an unjust assumption, then so be it. I am trying to discuss the merit of this decision, and the actions that need to be taken if threads can be discarded as non-post worthy. I really am trying to be respectful and work through this decision, and i have apologized to SD by PM and AIM. I really would like skydog to discuss with someone(not me anymore, as i failed in the role) the decision and its merit, instead of how he has handled it with a joke

Alan T
09-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Done. Feel free to post players needed and game announcements in GD.

Thanks Skydog. This addresses my main concern about the change. Now we have alot more flexibility in how many games run at one time without annoying the general population, but still be able to get the attention needed from General Discussion forum to get players for signups or when a new player is needed.

I'm back to being my normal happy self again.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 02:14 PM

I must be in the minority about post count, but obviously skydog felt it enough of an issue to turn it off. I wish skydog had discussed this instead of just accepting the first mild proposal that came along. I said i was happy to keep WW in a seperate forum, but much like he must have to turn them off, i care about losing more then 4k posts.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 02:16 PM
I can agree with your first post, so if i misunderstood you i retract my statement.

Your second post is just a feeling i have held, one of which is aided by since my time as a mod the only posts i have seen from you in regards to me have been mocking. Much like your post in this thread, you seem to go out of your way to point of oddities and falsities in my posts(which you retracted in this thread). That, coupled with the fact not one mod said anything kind about me after my time as one leads me to this belief. If its an unjust assumption, then so be it. I am trying to discuss the merit of this decision, and the actions that need to be taken if threads can be discarded as non-post worthy. I really am trying to be respectful and work through this decision, and i have apologized to SD by PM and AIM. I really would like skydog to discuss with someone(not me anymore, as i failed in the role) the decision and its merit, instead of how he has handled it with a joke

I have taken issue with things you've said before and after you were a mod. But I have no particular dislike towards you. I take a certain pride in "calling people out" when i feel they are hypocritical or make stupid statements (like you said, sometimes i'm wrong like in this case). I do it to others on here and I do it on IHOF all of the time. Apparently I have done that with you more than you would like, but it has not registered with me as any specific dislike towards you.

So, you may perceive it that way, but I have no particular feeling towards you either way as I think we rarely cross paths on this board as we do not have that many similar interests.

st.cronin
09-27-2006, 02:16 PM

Well, that will make things easier for us, but it makes no sense as that's actually the bulk of the werewolf threads. Each game is only one active thread at a time. So, if people complained before, they will complain just as much now.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I must be in the minority about post count, but obviously skydog felt it enough of an issue to turn it off. I wish skydog had discussed this instead of just accepting the first mild proposal that came along. I said i was happy to keep WW in a seperate forum, but much like he must have to turn them off, i care about losing more then 4k posts.

Just out of curiosity.

Why do you care so much about the posts?

Alan T
09-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Well, that will make things easier for us, but it makes no sense as that's actually the bulk of the werewolf threads. Each game is only one active thread at a time. So, if people complained before, they will complain just as much now.

I think from the comments and actions, its not the occasional 1 WW thread that people complained about. (Since the hot or not threads have like 5-20 for every 1 WW thread it seems). Its just that each WW thread has 2500-3000 posts with people increasing their post count tremendously.

Thats why I offered up the compromise that I did, it won't solve the post count issue that people have on either side of the fence (people complaining about WW inflating post counts, or people who are upset from losing post counts.) however it will keep our games running so we can enjoy them. Thats what I care about.

st.cronin
09-27-2006, 02:23 PM
I think from the comments and actions, its not the occasional 1 WW thread that people complained about. (Since the hot or not threads have like 5-20 for every 1 WW thread it seems). Its just that each WW thread has 2500-3000 posts with people increasing their post count tremendously.

Thats why I offered up the compromise that I did, it won't solve the post count issue that people have on either side of the fence (people complaining about WW inflating post counts, or people who are upset from losing post counts.) however it will keep our games running so we can enjoy them. Thats what I care about.

I like the move, too, but I thought post count inflation was the minor concern, and the major concern was werewolf threads disrupting the main board. I don't care about post counts, and if that was the complaint, so be it. I just think the people who complained will still complain.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Just out of curiosity.

Why do you care so much about the posts?

Since when i first joined the board back during the sideline days post count has led to a social heirarchy within the board. Back then grizzled veterans was a title to be proud of. It was a status i felt validated someone as a real core member of the board.

With the coming of the new titles that have far more levels i feel my post count holds even more weight. I went down around 3-4 levels in the FOFC heirarchy with this decision. Therefore, i feel my status and time spent at this board is no longer valued. If i had spent all of my time posting countless meaningless comments in the maximum football thread or what not, i would still have them and my status. I feel a decision has been made by a non-ww player to designate my time and effort in these threads as not worthy of FOFC standards. Post count and title is a source of pride for me, just like it is for Quiksand and JeeberD(2 fellow mods of yours). The reason we have the new titles is people wanted a better way to differentiate high posters from low posters. With this decision, i have been relegated down the ladder of importance within FOFC in my mind.

This view may be considered immature, but obviously enough people cared about post counts and titles that they complained endlessly about WW. Why do their opinions about our post counts and threads matter more then our own opinions? I dont particularly care for threads like maximum football, and avoid them, but i dont mind them being there if others enjoy them.

This forum is a internet discussion board that has evolved into a place for people to have fun. I dont see why Skydog talking about his favorite HS, anxiety telling us he loves us, and krysup(one of the mods) posting about schreech's penis are all considered post worthy while WW is not. We all have our own means of enjoying our stay here at FOFC, and i dont believe its fair to penalize us for enjoying it in a way that skydog does not care about.

Abe Sargent
09-27-2006, 02:30 PM
I personally feel that runing off post counts for some activities and not others is bad form, a slap in the face, unfair, and creates massive questions of respect, civility, and ethics.

Abe Sargent
09-27-2006, 02:31 PM
To me, that's a bigger issue than the forum.

Ben E Lou
09-27-2006, 02:32 PM

To completely clarify this:

Yes, Blackie handed over ownership to me. It is 100% "my board." At its core, this is a fansite for Front Office Football that the original owner (Blackadar) didn't want any more, but didn't want to be abandoned, so he gave it over to someone else (me).

As far as financial interests...

1. I own and pay for the frontofficefootballcentral.com domain name.

2. Hosting is provided for free by GameSpy. We have a large hit count that helps their ad revenue significantly, I am told.

3. I own the license for the vbulletin forum software. When we first bought the software, I think for $160, I paid $40, and asked for 12 voluntary donations of $10 each. That way, I would pay for 25% of the original license out of my own pocket. (I think those numbers are correct, but if not, they're close). Those who donated were made aware before they gave that their donations bought them no interest, no part ownership, no special considerations, or anything like that about the board. I don't remember everyone who donated, and I know for a fact that at least one person who donated hasn't visited the board in a couple of years or so. For all I know I may have even suspended a contributor at one time or another. :p

4. A year or so ago, I paid 100% of the fee to have the vbulletin license extended so we could continue to upgrade it. That fee was around $30-$40.

BrianD
09-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Given the new "compromise", is it fair to say that the only reason these threads were moved was to drop post counts for WW players? I really don't see anything other effect.

Lathum
09-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Skydog- I would like to know your justification for making this move?

Like many other people have stated there are 1-2 WW threads running at any given time. Please explain to me what sets WW apart from the other numerous OT posts such as poker, hot or not, IWS etc...? I know other people have asked this question but have not answered it. I am asking you in an open forum as opposed to a PM so that all the WW players ( many of them long time respected board members) can see your response.

I understand people may think WW is "stupid" but please justify for me how it is a nuisence to the overall community?

I just don't understand what makes WW different from all the other games people play on the board.

Please don't view this as an attack or me calling you out, I respect the time and effort you put into this community, but I think we are owed an explination.

DanGarion
09-27-2006, 02:47 PM
you guys realize Werewolf posts have accounted for 1/7 of the entire forums posts right?

-I've never complained, have thought about playing, and was surprised the posts were moved.

Just stating a fact.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Since when i first joined the board back during the sideline days post count has led to a social heirarchy within the board. Back then grizzled veterans was a title to be proud of. It was a status i felt validated someone as a real core member of the board.

With the coming of the new titles that have far more levels i feel my post count holds even more weight. I went down around 3-4 levels in the FOFC heirarchy with this decision. Therefore, i feel my status and time spent at this board is no longer valued. If i had spent all of my time posting countless meaningless comments in the maximum football thread or what not, i would still have them and my status. I feel a decision has been made by a non-ww player to designate my time and effort in these threads as not worthy of FOFC standards. Post count and title is a source of pride for me, just like it is for Quiksand and JeeberD(2 fellow mods of yours). The reason we have the new titles is people wanted a better way to differentiate high posters from low posters. With this decision, i have been relegated down the ladder of importance within FOFC in my mind.

This view may be considered immature, but obviously enough people cared about post counts and titles that they complained endlessly about WW. Why do their opinions about our post counts and threads matter more then our own opinions? I dont particularly care for threads like maximum football, and avoid them, but i dont mind them being there if others enjoy them.

This forum is a internet discussion board that has evolved into a place for people to have fun. I dont see why Skydog talking about his favorite HS, anxiety telling us he loves us, and krysup(one of the mods) posting about schreech's penis are all considered post worthy while WW is not. We all have our own means of enjoying our stay here at FOFC, and i dont believe its fair to penalize us for enjoying it in a way that skydog does not care about.

I've never cared to much one way or the other about WW threads. However, I think you need to be able to recognize that the around 80ish at most posts that someone got from M-F or even the maybe 100 or 200 that Kodos got from HoN are FAR different than the 4,000 that you have received from WW. More than half of your posts are from WW threads, I just view that as very different than people who get a lot of chunks from various different conversations.

I'm not saying that means you should lose your posts, I'm just saying you really can't compare the two. The sheer volume from WW FAR surpasses any other game/subject/whatever on FOFC.

Bee
09-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Funny stuff. :D

Bee
09-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey wait!!! That post didn't increase my post count!

Bee
09-27-2006, 02:55 PM
dangit...this sucks. :(

hehe :D

GoldenEagle
09-27-2006, 02:56 PM
I think everyone just wants an explanation to why the posts were deleted and why a new forum was created. To the best of my knowledge, no one has even been bitching about this.

Until I hear any better reasons, I am calling this is a total BS move.

DanGarion
09-27-2006, 03:00 PM
I think everyone just wants an explanation to why the posts were deleted and why a new forum was created. To the best of my knowledge, no one has even been bitching about this.

Doesn't appear to me that any posts were deleted. They just don't count as post count.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 03:02 PM
I've never cared to much one way or the other about WW threads. However, I think you need to be able to recognize that the around 80ish at most posts that someone got from M-F or even the maybe 100 or 200 that Kodos got from HoN are FAR different than the 4,000 that you have received from WW. More than half of your posts are from WW threads, I just view that as very different than people who get a lot of chunks from various different conversations.

I'm not saying that means you should lose your posts, I'm just saying you really can't compare the two. The sheer volume from WW FAR surpasses any other game/subject/whatever on FOFC.

I can agree that the volume of posts in WW is a great number. This decision, from the limited reasonings i have been given, is becuase people complained about WW being annoying at that post counts were being skewed,. My counter points to those 2 arguments are as such:

1.What one person finds annoying is another mans haven. I am somewhat annoyed by many of the threads here, but i dont feel a need to complain and have them removed. I dont understand how WW can be more annoying in GD then the Hot or Not threads, which at one time quite recently had 7 threads in the first page of GD(a few days go). Now that this precedent has been set, maybe it is time for me to start complaining constantly about the need for forums for things like politics, news, and even hot or not. I dont think this is at all the right route, as i am a big fan of everything staying in GD(as i stated back in the mod forum when we had this discussion). I think segregating WW just starts a chain of events that either must be dealt with or ignored. I hope its not the latter, as the group of mods was set up to deal with exactly such a situation

2.Post count, which obviously enough people felt was important enough to complain about, has been judged on the basis that WW is an activity that no longer warrants counting towards a users standing within this board. Skydog make the decision to say that our posts matter less then any other on the board. He has stated, through his actions, that screech's penis discussion is more relevant then our posts. If you wish to remove them due to players gaining too many posts, you are doing 2 things. Firstly, you are admitting you yourself care about post counts and how many other users have. Secondly, you must go back and look through all of jeebers posts or any other user and delete or move all posts that aree considered to be post whoring. This move strongly suggests WW is not worthy of counting, and by that means we need to create forum rules for what does count as a post.

Skydog made a decision that seemed partial to certain members, and rather offensive to others. He did so and then reasoned it with a joke. Noting, he did accept alanTs proposal, one that i dont agree with. The compromise basically knocks one thread out of GD, while all the others(which i assume were the ones that made it annoying) are right back in. I felt this was more an attempt to try and settle this discussion quickly, but i appreciate him at least reading out posts.

WVUFAN
09-27-2006, 03:05 PM
I can agree that the volume of posts in WW is a great number. This decision, from the limited reasonings i have been given, is becuase people complained about WW being annoying at that post counts were being skewed,. My counter points to those 2 arguments are as such:

1.What one person finds annoying is another mans haven. I am somewhat annoyed by many of the threads here, but i dont feel a need to complain and have them removed. I dont understand how WW can be more annoying in GD then the Hot or Not threads, which at one time quite recently had 7 threads in the first page of GD(a few days go). Now that this precedent has been set, maybe it is time for me to start complaining constantly about the need for forums for things like politics, news, and even hot or not. I dont think this is at all the right route, as i am a big fan of everything staying in GD(as i stated back in the mod forum when we had this discussion). I think segregating WW just starts a chain of events that either must be dealt with or ignored. I hope its not the latter, as the group of mods was set up to deal with exactly such a situation

2.Post count, which obviously enough people felt was important enough to complain about, has been judged on the basis that WW is an activity that no longer warrants counting towards a users standing within this board. Skydog make the decision to say that our posts matter less then any other on the board. He has stated, through his actions, that screech's penis discussion is more relevant then our posts. If you wish to remove them due to players gaining too many posts, you are doing 2 things. Firstly, you are admitting you yourself care about post counts and how many other users have. Secondly, you must go back and look through all of jeebers posts or any other user and delete or move all posts that aree considered to be post whoring. This move strongly suggests WW is not worthy of counting, and by that means we need to create forum rules for what does count as a post.

Skydog made a decision that seemed partial to certain members, and rather offensive to others. He did so and then reasoned it with a joke. Noting, he did accept alanTs proposal, one that i dont agree with. The compromise basically knocks one thread out of GD, while all the others(which i assume were the ones that made it annoying) are right back in. I felt this was more an attempt to try and settle this discussion quickly, but i appreciate him at least reading out posts.

Well thought out post. I agree.

I IM'ed Skydog briefly just a few minutes ago, and I hope when he has the chance, he'll explain why he did this, and listen to what many of us are saying. For what it's worth, he's at work, so his time to post or IM extensively is limited. I'm hoping when he has the opportunity, he'll be able to explain to everyone a little more extensively his rationale for this.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 03:09 PM
However, I think you need to be able to recognize that the around 80ish at most posts that someone got from M-F or even the maybe 100 or 200 that Kodos got from HoN are FAR different than the 4,000 that you have received from WW. More than half of your posts are from WW threads, I just view that as very different than people who get a lot of chunks from various different conversations.

So be more direct, i also feel that someone like jeeber(who i really like, so he is just an example) has more then 4000 posts combined in all the parody threads. I feel strongly that i should not be penalized for focusing my posts in one area instead of posting into countless dicussions that have no real importance other then a quick laugh.

You view all WW games in one category and my post total from that as such. I view all parody threads as one category, not countless threads. Its a difference in views, i agree.

So now we should go through and look for people who post almost exclusively in a certain type of thread? Thats the idea you hinted at, or at least we should make sure to make tons of little WW threads instead of one big one to avoid exactly what people are complaining about, WW being annoying.

That was kind of a ramble, so excuse me if i was mistaken on any of my views. I thank you again for continuing to keep an open mind.

Subby
09-27-2006, 03:21 PM
I am glad you people got moved to the fringes where you belong.

dawgfan
09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I have no real horse in this race - I don't care a great deal about post counts.

However, I can see the logic behind turning off post counts for WW threads. The difference between a WW thread and a random, off-topic thread or poll is this - posting in those other threads, while they may be off-topic and stupid and whatnot provides some input to the board in terms of expressing opinions and providing insight into the character of the poster.

Posting in WW threads, if I've read them correctly (I'm not a WW player and only perused the threads on occasion) is part of the game - people may be adding commentary and whatnot, but you need to post in those threads in order to continue the game, right?

That said, I really don't care either way about post counts.

Peregrine
09-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Sorry about this guys, I agree with most of you that while WW might have been messing with post counts, various other kinds of threads were doing the same, even more, and there were a lot more of them.

They took my baby and locked it up in jail! :(

Lathum
09-27-2006, 03:28 PM

Subby, I have never had a problem with you and enjoy talking and playing poker with you so please don't take this the wrong way.

These are the kind of statements that annoy me and are presicely why we should have NOT been moved.

So some people don't like WW, why can't they just ignore the threads the same way I ignore the political or Atlanta high school football threads.

I think Subby's comment sums up the attitude of the babies who complained about WW and I hope you are happy that you gave them what they wanted while punishing members who were doing nothing wrong

stevew
09-27-2006, 03:30 PM
I have no real horse in this race - I don't care a great deal about post counts.

However, I can see the logic behind turning off post counts for WW threads. The difference between a WW thread and a random, off-topic thread or poll is this - posting in those other threads, while they may be off-topic and stupid and whatnot provides some input to the board in terms of expressing opinions and providing insight into the character of the poster.

Posting in WW threads, if I've read them correctly (I'm not a WW player and only perused the threads on occasion) is part of the game - people may be adding commentary and whatnot, but you need to post in those threads in order to continue the game, right?

That said, I really don't care either way about post counts.

""

Lathum
09-27-2006, 03:30 PM
dola- you being skydog

stevew
09-27-2006, 03:32 PM

How isn't this a valid explaination. I think it sums it up quite nicely.

WVUFAN
09-27-2006, 03:33 PM

I think the Poker people should have their own, non-post counting board too.

... ok, no I don't, but then again, I don't think any of them should have their own board. If anything, create TWO boards -- one is FOF discussions, and one is non-FOF discussions, with WW, Poker, Hot or Not, and all the other threads there.

It's an old adage ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It wasn't broke.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 03:34 PM

That was from a private PM that should have never been shared, and skydog refuses to discuss further due to the fact i shared the reasons. Basically, i should delete that post, as it was never supposed to be public.

st.cronin
09-27-2006, 03:37 PM

Can we at least have a mod keep people from trolling our threads? This wasn't a problem before.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Subby and RyanS(an admin with skydog) are bragging about their member #s in the poll in GD. Many members view their status in FOFC with pride, and this was a major slap in the face to those of use that are active on WW.

Lathum

While it sums up his reasoning I think his explination falls very short in explaining how WW is any different from other threads that are OT.

What has WW done to ever hurt anyone? There are alot more inflametory threads that should be put in there own section of the board.

Blade6119
Can we at least have a mod keep people from trolling our threads? This wasn't a problem before.

Ya, we leave general discussion and we pick up trolls...funny how that works out.

SnDvls
09-27-2006, 03:41 PM
I think it was a bush league move, but honestly I could give a carp about post counts. The thing that bothers me is that skydog thinks that 1 or 2 WW threads mess up the board or skew posts and that was his reason. total crap...look at the board right now...2-5 posts on FOF period.

I agree if you are going to move one move them all and create an OT forum if that is the purpose of it all. When I don't play in a WW game I skip the thread no problem...I don't vote in "Hot or Not" or care who drunk guy is...heck I don't post in half the stuff because I don't care about it.

I won't whine or cry to skydog that the other crap is getting in the way though.

dawgfan
09-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Subby and RyanS(an admin with skydog) are bragging about their member #s in the poll in GD. Many members view their status in FOFC with pride, and this was a major slap in the face to those of use that are active on WW.
If you can't tell that both of those posts were tongue-in-cheek then you need a refresher course in reading comprehension. They are both poking fun at your obsession over post counts.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 04:05 PM
If you can't tell that both of those posts were tongue-in-cheek then you need a refresher course in reading comprehension. They are both poking fun at your obsession over post counts.

It was obsession over post counts that led to this. People got upset that we were gaining posts faster then they were and complained. So before you become a smartass remember it is people like subby who are the reason we have this discussion, as it was non-WW players obsessing over our post counts(and obviously skydog agreed).

Go toll elsewhere, if you dont have anything serious to add to the discussion about the descision.

Subby
09-27-2006, 04:14 PM
It was just a joke guys, yowza... :)

dawgfan
09-27-2006, 04:17 PM
It was obsession over post counts that led to this. People got upset that we were gaining posts faster then they were and complained. So before you become a smartass remember it is people like subby who are the reason we have this discussion, as it was non-WW players obsessing over our post counts(and obviously skydog agreed).

Go toll elsewhere, if you dont have anything serious to add to the discussion about the descision.
Lighten up Francis. I'm neither "tolling" nor trolling - I offered an explanation for why WW thread post counts were being considered different than other off-topic posts, and I pointed out how you completely misread the posts by Subby and Ryan S. Unless the definition of trolling has changed to "he posted something I disagree with or don't like", I haven't been trolling.

So take a chill pill dude - you're waaaaaay too worked up about this whole thing.

st.cronin
09-27-2006, 04:20 PM
It was just a joke guys, yowza... :)

In that case, you can play in my next game.

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Lighten up Francis. I'm neither "tolling" nor trolling - I offered an explanation for why WW thread post counts were being considered different than other off-topic posts, and I pointed out how you completely misread the posts by Subby and Ryan S. Unless the definition of trolling has changed to "he posted something I disagree with or don't like", I haven't been trolling.

So take a chill pill dude - you're waaaaaay too worked up about this whole thing.
Telling me i need a refresher course in reading comprehension is not explaining WW thread counts or pointing out a misreading. Its calling me stupid, but i apologize for coming back at you with a name that is negative.

Secondly, i dont think it was as tounge in cheek as you assume.

Thirdly, i would ask your opinion of krysup and WSUcougars posts in the other thread about post count being a great use of context for FOFC. Those are two mods, and i took their posts to be very similar to my complaints about status here at FOFC. How do you view them?

Chief Rum
09-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Wow, I see that Subby needs to post more often here again. People have forgotten he usually employs sarcastic remarks/witticisms when he posts.

I saw right away Subby was kidding.

Lathum
09-27-2006, 04:26 PM
The fact that people are "joking" or being "sarcastic" doesn't matter because those of us who play WW on a regular basis are taking this seriously. We have basicly been told we aren't even good enough to be in the population with hot or not and penis enlargement threads and to me that seems like a slap in the face.

Subby
09-27-2006, 04:38 PM
The fact that people are "joking" or being "sarcastic" doesn't matter because those of us who play WW on a regular basis are taking this seriously. Sorry Lathum, but I am going to need to see a video of you pointing to your face and screaming "LOOK AT ME BEING SERIOUS!" :D

Anthony
09-27-2006, 04:51 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA. this is the funniest post here.

this is like the time the Nerds got kicked out of their own dorm and had to shack up in the school gymnasium. quick, Subby, throw a basketball at someone while they're sleeping. :D

http://sidesalad.net/archives/BoogerJpg.jpg

dawgfan
09-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Telling me i need a refresher course in reading comprehension is not explaining WW thread counts or pointing out a misreading. Its calling me stupid, but i apologize for coming back at you with a name that is negative.

Secondly, i dont think it was as tounge in cheek as you assume.
OK, I admit it was a harsh way of saying you didn't get the humorous intent in those posts. But they were most definitely done with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Thirdly, i would ask your opinion of krysup and WSUcougars posts in the other thread about post count being a great use of context for FOFC. Those are two mods, and i took their posts to be very similar to my complaints about status here at FOFC. How do you view them?
Well, let's look at what Ksyrup said:

I rarely notice post counts, but I like them when I see an unfamiliar name and am trying to assess how active they have been on the forum. I think it helps, to a limited degree, in trying to assess credibility in certain circumstances. It may also help newbies get a sense for who the most frequent posters are around here, to the extent they care.

I guess it helps to give some context to the FOFC world is what I'm saying.
I have no problem with what he said. I usually don't care much what a person's post count is - I care about the quality of their post. If a newbie posts something interesting or funny, who cares if they're a newbie. But if they're just stirring up shit, then I care more about whether they've been here a while or not.

It's like when you first start work at a new place - you probably aren't going to reveal your most sarcastic or crude sides of your personality immediately; you'll want to wait a while to get to know the rest of your co-workers and figure out what's considered OK behavior.

I don't have a big problem with mods having less tolerance for shit-stirring posts by someone with 15 posts than someone with 1500 - the latter person has been here long enough and made enough of a presence for the mods to get a handle on this poster's personality and judging whether something posted by them that's over the line is typical for them or out of character, (and thus they might deserve a warning instead of a boxing or banning).

I really don't see where you losing 4,000 posts is going to change how anyone views you around here - you've been here long enough and posted enough in a variety of forum topics that most people here have some idea of what you're like.

However, someone that posts primarily in a specialty topic like WW threads (or Hat trick or other dynasty threads) is probably going to be somewhat unfamiliar to the general FOFC populace. I suppose not counting posts in WW threads in your overall post count is a way of representing that fact.

Anthony
09-27-2006, 05:13 PM
how can someone who lost 4K posts (which equals half of their post count) honestly say they've been contributing to the community? if i had 10,000 posts, 9,896 of which were in a WW thread, how could i say "i contributed to this community and now that i lost all my WW posts i'm relegated back to noob status"?

Anthony
09-27-2006, 05:13 PM
i'm going to have to stop posting here, i dont want my posts to not count.

Alan T
09-27-2006, 05:18 PM
how can someone who lost 4K posts (which equals half of their post count) honestly say they've been contributing to the community? if i had 10 posts, 9, 896 of which were in a WW thread, how could i say "i contributed to this community and now that i lost all my WW posts i'm relegated back to noob status"?

For whatever its worth, I lost about 2000 posts, or 67% of my post count. I might be one of the worst offenders, but I still don't care too much about post count :) I also still think with my 1000 other posts, I've still contributed to the community :)

I just have contributed in different ways over the years than you or others :)

Barkeep49
09-27-2006, 05:46 PM
I understand the point, which is there are lots of frivilous ways to boost one's post count on FOFC, and that post count and respect seem to be closely correlated. That said I don't personally care about post count, though I do understnad those who do.

One point that I think some WW players don't get is that it isn't necessarily the amount of threads that bugs people. I think what really bugs people is that the thread is almost always one of the top 5, or top 10, threads. So they are CONSTANTLY seeing it. I think this makes it seem worse to people than it really is.

Anthony
09-27-2006, 05:50 PM
I understand the point, which is there are lots of frivilous ways to boost one's post count on FOFC, and that post count and respect seem to be closely correlated. That said I don't personally care about post count, though I do understnad those who do.

One point that I think some WW players don't get is that it isn't necessarily the amount of threads that bugs people. I think what really bugs people is that the thread is almost always one of the top 5, or top 10, threads. So they are CONSTANTLY seeing it. I think this makes it seem worse to people than it really is.

that, and its the easiest way to gain cred (via padding your post counts) without having to actually contribute much to the community.

i contribute a ton to this place, and i only have 4500 posts. i have a higher ratio of quality posts so it seems like i do more here. i'm not confined to some nerd game - i'm out there in the trenches with my neck on the line, risking boxings and bannings for the amusement of others. in the words of Kellen Winslow Jr: "I'm a soldier".

saldana
09-27-2006, 06:04 PM
i think this is horseshit...

we are being singled out because we choose to post in a threads that arent popular

the reason given for this is because people complain that we are inflating our post counts.

we are then being called whiners because we dont like the fact that our post counts dropped

except that the reason we got moved and our post counts dropped is because other people were whining that our post counts are higher because we play werewolf

this double standard is apparently not being considered in terms of our basically being treated as second class members of the board, despite the fact that people like Bubba Wheels and MrBigglesworth rarely post in any threads that are not about politics and have nothing to do with FOF (note to both those guys, i mean nothing personal by this, and have no problems with your posts or threads)

i dont have a problem with changing standards...i do have a problem when those standards are not applied uniformly to the community....as far as i am concerned, this is discrimination against our portion of this community.

ALL WEREWOLF PLAYERS, PLEASE MOVE TO THE BACK OF THE BUS

Groundhog
09-27-2006, 06:19 PM
I find this thread amusing.

jeff061
09-27-2006, 06:23 PM
I've only skimmed the thread, so maybe this was answered, what's the big deal? Why does it matter that there is a WW specific forum now?

I mean I agree, I always thought it was funny/dumb when people complained about the one or two active WW threads, but does it really matter which forum it's in?

Blade6119
09-27-2006, 06:26 PM
I've only skimmed the thread, so maybe this was answered, what's the big deal? Why does it matter that there is a WW specific forum now?

I mean I agree, I always thought it was funny/dumb when people complained about the one or two active WW threads, but does it really matter which forum it's in?

Skydog also made this forum not count towards your post count, so every post in every WW game/thread has been taken away from our post counts, as well as all future posts not counting. So basically he said go over in the corner and dont bother us anymore

jeff061
09-27-2006, 06:28 PM
1/3 of my posts disappeared(and I haven't even played in about 6 months). Guess I can't relate to people that are bothered by that.

Groundhog
09-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Skydog also made this forum not count towards your post count, so every post in every WW game/thread has been taken away from our post counts, as well as all future posts not counting. So basically he said go over in the corner and dont bother us anymore

No, not really. It's not like WW players are banned from posting in the GD...

Besides, they are only post counts? Who cares?

WVUFAN
09-27-2006, 06:49 PM
No, not really. It's not like WW players are banned from posting in the GD...

Besides, they are only post counts? Who cares?

WW threads were moved due to multiple complaints by people that WW were unfairly elevating their post counts.

So one of the main reasons why they were moved was due to post counts. I'm fine with either making ALL posts count, or NO posts count, but making WW no count but "Penis" thread do is just really dumb.

GoldenEagle
09-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Is anyone interested in moving to another sever? We would have more customization with important sutff like titles, home page, etc.

Barkeep49
09-27-2006, 07:58 PM
I like FOFC, frankly. I like the kind of people who are attracted to play the game. I like that we are exposed to a broad base of people regularly and as such are able to attract new players. I've played WW on other fourms (2 to be exact) and like it here best of all.

Abe Sargent
09-27-2006, 08:08 PM
We should have the main WW thread here but individual dynasty threads by each player where they document thoughts, ideas and reactions, but return to the main thread here to post votes.

Anthony
09-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Is anyone interested in moving to another sever? We would have more customization with important sutff like titles, home page, etc.

cue FranklinNoble pimping sportsdigs in 3....2....1....

KWhit
09-27-2006, 10:08 PM

Raiders Army
09-27-2006, 10:26 PM
My reply:

So threads like maximum football, PING:drunk guy, or Can child molesters be called hot? should all be moved as well, right? I would argue all of those, as well as threads i mentioned like the hot or nots or the countless political threads skew post counts as well.
Didn't discover this thread until now.

Hey don't hate the drunk guy thread. That's my biggest contribution to FOFC!

GoldenEagle
09-27-2006, 10:47 PM
cue FranklinNoble pimping sportsdigs in 3....2....1....

I would be willing to bet you a pretty dollar we would have more sportsdigs in a week.

Ragone
09-28-2006, 01:21 AM
well in that regard.. we also need a georgia football forum.. cause god knows i don't wanna see that topic in the general forum either ;)

Bee
09-28-2006, 09:17 AM
If someone starts a Vampire game or one of the other variants, does it go here or in the General Forum? :D

Thomkal
09-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Guys,

I think you are missing what an opportunity this is for Werewolf players. When back in the General forum, we restricted ourselves to one game at a time, in part to appease those who didn't want to see Werewolf dominate the forum, much like Hattrick once did.

This gives us the opportunity to play more than one game at a time, clear up the mod backlist, experiment with different formats easier, etc. This move despite the post count loss should be seen as a blessing for the Werewolf community here.

hoopsguy
09-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Thomkal, I think people have talked about doing exactly this in another thread.

There is a certain amount of angst that people want to get out about the post loss, and the associated indignity over every other post on every other topic counting but not these. But when that subsides I think/hope there will be a lot more energy going into figuring out how to make this new forum really work for us.

Thomkal
09-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah Hoops saw the other thread after posting here. :) But felt I needed to make that point. Yeah for those who care about post counts, it sucks because that's really the only reason Werewolf was moved according to SkyDog. But the potential benefits far outweigh the negative at least in my opinion, and people should be excited about that and get over their anger to a decision that won't be changed.

Grammaticus
09-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, I guess contribution can be valued in different ways by different people.

If Gamespy hosts for free based on the hit traffic which is good for their ad revenue, as SD indicated. And WW posts account for 1/7th or roughly 14.3% of all posts on FOFC as someone else stated. That would mean WW posters are probably hitting the board at a comparable rate, thus contributing to the board and maintaining free hosting.

Also, this is a board that evolved based on interest in a game, a text sim game. WW is a game that, not a text sim game, but a social interaction game. It is no surprise that people who hit a game related site are interested in playing a game. In many ways, playing a game such as WW is more in the spirit of a game related site than about 99% of the post topics out there.

Even for those who care little for WW, you should be able to understand the game and its participants are contributing to the site and FOFC community. Not only is it short sighted and rude to insult them, but those who use non-contribution as an argument are simply wrong.

BrianD
09-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Well, I guess contribution can be valued in different ways by different people.

If Gamespy hosts for free based on the hit traffic which is good for their ad revenue, as SD indicated. And WW posts account for 1/7th or roughly 14.3% of all posts on FOFC as someone else stated. That would mean WW posters are probably hitting the board at a comparable rate, thus contributing to the board and maintaining free hosting.

Also, this is a board that evolved based on interest in a game, a text sim game. WW is a game that, not a text sim game, but a social interaction game. It is no surprise that people who hit a game related site are interested in playing a game. In many ways, playing a game such as WW is more in the spirit of a game related site than about 99% of the post topics out there.

Even for those who care little for WW, you should be able to understand the game and its participants are contributing to the site and FOFC community. Not only is it short sighted and rude to insult them, but those who use non-contribution as an argument are simply wrong.

I think this sums it up well.

Chubby
09-28-2006, 11:06 AM
You guys have short memories.

Anything SD doesn't play is irrelevant and gets moved (hatrrick, WW).
Anything SD does play can stay in GD (georgia sports, polls)

Barkeep49
05-22-2008, 03:49 PM
A year and three quarters later, I'm proud of the fact that we're the only thing that wasn't killed by moving it to its own forum. I really think that on the whole it's been a net positive having our own forum, though being second class citizens does suck.

st.cronin
05-22-2008, 03:52 PM
I agree, although I don't feel like a second class citizen.

RendeR
05-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I just want our posts to count. I mean we're here, on FOFC, most of the time we're interating in much more than JUST the werewolf forum so why the hell do our posts NOT count?

Whose got the granny square up their butt that we shouldn't have our posts counted?? Damnit I DEMAND satisfaction.

DanGarion
05-22-2008, 04:46 PM
A year and three quarters later, I'm proud of the fact that we're the only thing that wasn't killed by moving it to its own forum. I really think that on the whole it's been a net positive having our own forum, though being second class citizens does suck.
How are you second class? Just because your "werewolf" posts don't count?

Barkeep49
05-22-2008, 05:40 PM
How are you second class? Just because your "werewolf" posts don't count?
My response at the time:

I don't personally care about post count, though I do understnad those who do.

I view it more as SkyDog seems to tolerate us rather than appreciate us as part of the community. But I'm entirely willing to admit I'm wrong her.

Barkeep49
05-22-2008, 05:44 PM
How appropriate that the post I quoted had a blatantly obvious typo and so does the post itself.

claphamsa
05-22-2008, 07:06 PM

they are the second class citicens not us!

vote fofc!

hoopsguy
06-11-2008, 10:42 PM
So do people feel vindicated that WW posts count again with the move to Operation Sports?

Also, it is weird reading this again with new names and many posts from folks who aren't WW regulars these days.

Lathum
06-11-2008, 10:47 PM
I'll read it again and tell you.

And I will only feel vindicated after my posts count retro activley

Neon_Chaos
06-12-2008, 05:02 AM
*checks posts*

Neon_Chaos
06-12-2008, 05:02 AM
Not bad. Around 500 or so posts.

claphamsa
06-12-2008, 06:13 AM
bah, i liked haveing 0 posts! maybeill have t go to another part of the forum now :(

Lathum
06-12-2008, 06:43 AM
bah, i liked haveing 0 posts! maybeill have t go to another part of the forum now :(

please do :p

Alan T
06-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Posts counting was never a huge deal to me, so still not a big deal to me that they count again. Looking back, my only concern was that we'd have problems bringing in new players and eventually the games would die due to lack of new blood.

In retrospect, I think the seperate forum has been pretty good for us in alot of cases, and we have been able to continue to bring in new blood still.

claphamsa
06-12-2008, 07:05 AM
BLOOD BLOOD BLaaaaa

DaddyTorgo
06-12-2008, 08:29 AM
bawhhahahaha

blood for me to eat!!!

Racer
06-12-2008, 08:37 AM
I think I started this past game with under 300 posts.

claphamsa
06-12-2008, 08:40 AM
uve made 92 posts :)

SnDvls
06-16-2008, 07:53 AM
so did they retroactive the posts? not that it really matters

hoopsguy
06-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Nah, otherwise you would have seen a spike of thousands of posts for a bunch of people.

I think I was above 4K when the posts were moved to the separate forum.

Barkeep49
06-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Yeah Hoopsguy has over 7k worth of posts that haven't retroactively counted.

hoopsguy
06-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Who has the most? Me? Lathum? Alan? I didn't realize that you were able to see the specifics on that stuff.

Grammaticus
06-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Sweet posts count again. WW Power!

path12
06-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Sweet posts count again. WW Power!

So when are you getting back in a game??

Barkeep49
06-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Who has the most? Me? Lathum? Alan? I didn't realize that you were able to see the specifics on that stuff.
Of the people I checked you had the most, followed by Blade.

Alan T
06-16-2008, 06:54 PM
You can check fairly easily by doing an advanced search for posts from a user from a week ago and earlier probably.

Alan T
06-16-2008, 06:59 PM
For me I ended up with 7642 posts in this forum that didn't count. Blade 6837, Lathum 6224, Hoopsguy 8216, Barkeep 6719

hoopsguy
06-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Junkies, all of us.

path12
06-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Wow. 5,484. Wouldn't have guessed it.

claphamsa
06-16-2008, 07:19 PM
how many for me :) 500?

Alan T
06-16-2008, 07:20 PM
how many for me :) 500?

Grammaticus
06-16-2008, 07:39 PM
So when are you getting back in a game??

I'd like to jump into a game, it is just difficult to get online for this at work. So hard to catch up at night. As much as I want to play, it is just a time thing. I just got a laptop, so that might help some.

Have you guys gotten any new players on the new site?

hoopsguy
06-16-2008, 08:08 PM
New players, but I don't think they are from Operation Sports.

claphamsa
06-16-2008, 08:09 PM

wow thats alot, since I just get lynched early!

jeheinz72
06-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow like 1660 for me.

claphamsa
06-17-2008, 09:49 AM
i canno ne belive i was anywhere near you :(

jeheinz72
06-17-2008, 09:59 AM
i canno ne belive i was anywhere near you :(

Yeah, but you play in every single game whereas I've missed about 4-5 now, and growing since I'll likely miss the game after Schmidty's as well.

claphamsa
06-17-2008, 10:03 AM
yeah but i always die day 1 :(

nect game im not gonna say anythgin!

jeheinz72
06-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Ha, then they'll all lynch you for acting differently

Passacaglia
06-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Ha, then they'll all lynch you for acting differently

What you have to do is play every game differently than the one before -- then no one knows what to think about you. :p Until you run out of ways to play, at least.

Barkeep49
06-17-2008, 10:41 AM
What you have to do is play every game differently than the one before -- then no one knows what to think about you. :p Until you run out of ways to play, at least.
For a long time this what I attempted to do, but then I did indeed run out of ways to play.

jeheinz72
06-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Next game I plan to play by only typing with my elbows. That oughta really throw you guys off.

Passacaglia
06-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Next game I plan to play by only typing with my elbows. That oughta really throw you guys off.

bvJIKFTRG MNS,.

(That's elbow-type for "Not me.")

The Jackal
06-17-2008, 12:02 PM
i l.kikde kedtgchju;p

Alan T
06-17-2008, 12:03 PM
i l.kikde kedtgchju;p

I think this says "I like ketchup"

Passacaglia
06-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I think this says "I like ketchup"

Too readable. It's obviously saying, "My elbows are smaller than Passacaglia's."

jeheinz72
06-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Elbows may be too difficult. I'm going to try typing with my eyes closed after spinning in my chair 5 to 7 times.

Bpyr Yjr Ksvla;

claphamsa
06-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Heinze realllllly needs this vacation...............

jeheinz72
06-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes, I'm officially at the "hardly working" end of the "Workin' hard or Hardly Working" equation.

Passacaglia
06-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Elbows may be too difficult. I'm going to try typing with my eyes closed after spinning in my chair 5 to 7 times.

Bpyr Yjr Ksvla;

I think he asked if there was a website where you can play "Apples To Apples" online.