PDA

View Full Version : Response to PM's

Ben E Lou
09-27-2006, 07:02 PM
A few of you sent me PM's earlier today. Since my response to all of you is basically the same, I figured I'd post here, rather than copying and pasting it in each PM.

1. I moved them because the #1 complaint I've received is about Werewolf, and now that we've upgraded to vbulletin 3.6.0, it is *very* easy to mass-move threads after doing a search.

2. To be honest, the question isn't as much, "why did you do this", but "why haven't you done this before now?" I've wanted to for quite some time. I'd never done it before now because it would have been a pain to move all of the threads. I would have had to do it one-by-one in the past. I looked at my Admin controls today and realized with the latest upgrade this was very easy to do now.

3. There is zero chance that post counts are going to be removed. I often don't recognize user names, so post counts and join dates help me in understanding people's history at FOFC. I do not consider posts in Werewolf threads to be a true part of that history. No, the post count isn't the only thing I look at, but it is ONE thing.

4. In my opinion, it is apples and oranges to compare the several thousand posts (including well over half of many people's post counts) to a few dozen in Hot or Not threads or whatever.

5. No one is being singled out. Anyone who posts here can still post in GD, just not the Werewolf games. You are not second-class citizens because you post in Werewolf threads. Heck, other than the vocal few who have PMed me, I don't even know who posts in Werewolf therads and who doesn't, and I don't really care either way whether you do or you don't.

That's probably all I'm going to say on this issue, unless there's something in this post that is unclear and therefore needs clarification.

--Ben

GoldenEagle
09-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Complaints from who? I never saw one person complain about WW. I guess if we had more IHOFers playing, than this would not be an issue. I personally think that this is a bull shit decision.

Schmidty
09-27-2006, 07:19 PM
It doesn't matter.

Man is fallible, and Skydog is a man without opposition. Even if he makes a mistake, complaining does zero good. He is God.

This issue is over. Sad, but true.

Abe Sargent
09-27-2006, 07:24 PM
SkyDog, thanks for taking the time to make an offical announcement. I and other appreciate something offical in the public space. Even if I think you are making a major error of judgment, I still respect you and thank you for all of the time you have put into this board.

-Anxiety

Abe Sargent
09-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Now, having said that, I would like to know the substance of the complaints against the WWers. What were the complaints? I cannot, for the life of me, think of what issue people would have, which is why I was so struck by today's disenfranchisng decisions.

Skydog: I think if you could illuminate what the problem really was, some of us might have an easier time swallowing the solution.

GoldenEagle
09-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Many more people complained about the threadkiller threads than the WW threads. Those were deserved. The threadkiller posts were pointless. What Skydog does not realize is that more though and effort goes into WW posts than 99.5% of the posts that are in General Discussion. What he is telling us is that those posts are worthless. As Blade said, this is a slap in the face to all of us who partcipate in this game.

If I did not like the people of FOFC, I probably would never visit here again. I use to think Skydog ran a very good board, but his decision here is just downright stupid.

Ben E Lou
09-27-2006, 07:34 PM
The vast majority of the complaints were about massively-inflated post counts. To put this in perspective, the top poster in the M-F thread has 341 posts, and that was an extreme abnormality. It is pretty normal for the top poster in a Werewolf thread to have 200-300 posts, and this happens over and over again. It really is a very unusual situation.

Fouts
09-27-2006, 07:37 PM
The vast majority of the complaints were about massively-inflated post counts. To put this in perspective, the top poster in the M-F thread has 341 posts, and that was an extreme abnormality. It is pretty normal for the top poster in a Werewolf thread to have 200-300 posts, and this happens over and over again. It really is a very unusual situation.

Finally. The TRUTH!!! ;)

Mr. Wednesday
09-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Post counts were inflated!!!11!1! :p

Ben E Lou
09-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Many more people complained about the threadkiller threads than the WW threads. Those were deserved. The threadkiller posts were pointless.
..and the threadkiller thread got deleted, now didn't it?

Schmidty
09-27-2006, 07:44 PM
So are people like Jeeber going to have their posts deleted as well? Where does it end? What is a "correct" post that "contributes" to FOFC.

Bah, why am I even trying? It's over. No sense arguing with a rock.

GoldenEagle
09-27-2006, 07:47 PM
..and the threadkiller thread got deleted, now didn't it?

Exactly. These posts made in WW threads are not pointless. So why delete them?

Abe Sargent
09-27-2006, 07:55 PM

I appreciate your quick response SkyDog.

Lathum
09-27-2006, 07:55 PM

Skydog, don't you think it is odd that the people who complained are saying we shouldn't be upset because post count shouldn't be important.

Lathum
09-27-2006, 07:56 PM
dola-
Skydog, did you get my PM?

GoldenEagle
09-27-2006, 08:00 PM
dola-
Skydog, did you get my PM?

Do you think SD is actually going to take the time to respond to your PM?

JeeberD
09-27-2006, 08:03 PM
So are people like Jeeber going to have their posts deleted as well? Where does it end? What is a "correct" post that "contributes" to FOFC.

Bah, why am I even trying? It's over. No sense arguing with a rock.

Why the hell do you keep bringing me into the argument? What makes your posts more "worthwhile" than mine?

Abe Sargent
09-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Agree with Jeeber, can't argue to restore posts as importtant and knock Jeeber at the same time.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Skydog, don't you think it is odd that the people who complained are saying we shouldn't be upset because post count shouldn't be important.

So you have a list of the people complaining?

You've made this assertion here and in GD - that the people who sent complaints to SD and the people who say not to be upset about post count are the same people.

I'm curious as to how you know the list is the same?

hoopsguy
09-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Add me to the list who think it sucks to single out Jeeber, just because he has the most posts. I think there are several people who frequently post that I don't care one way or the other about their thoughts - Jeeber is not in that category.

I have a few jumbled thoughts on this whole process but I think I would rather take a few days to process them before spewing them in this thread.

Lathum
09-27-2006, 08:23 PM
So you have a list of the people complaining?

You've made this assertion here and in GD - that the people who sent complaints to SD and the people who say not to be upset about post count are the same people.

I'm curious as to how you know the list is the same?

how can it not be? Please tell me what complaint people are making about werewolf? It is obviously the post count issue since SD turned them off?

WVUFAN
09-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Add me to the list who think it sucks to single out Jeeber, just because he has the most posts. I think there are several people who frequently post that I don't care one way or the other about their thoughts - Jeeber is not in that category.

I have a few jumbled thoughts on this whole process but I think I would rather take a few days to process them before spewing them in this thread.

Actually I don't think Schmidty is actuallly saying Jeeber shouldn't have his posts, but rather using him as an example of someone who posts quite a bit, and like the rest of us, rarely on FOF topics.

What I don't get is that in one breath Skydog is saying "WW players aren't second class citizens" and in the next breath saying they're not part of the history of the board and do not deserve to have their posts count.

The definition of a second class citizen is someone who is treated worse than another based on who they are, or in this case, what they choose to post about. Skydog is saying, LITERALLY, "You're not cool enough for the rest of us". This is akin to not letting the little kid on the block play with the other kids because you own the football. It's childish.

JeeberD
09-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Thank you, hoops and Anxiety.

And it's not just about that one post, Eric. Schmidty's been throwing my name around a lot today...

Ben E Lou
09-27-2006, 08:33 PM
"WW players aren't second class citizens" and in the next breath saying they're not part of the history of the board and do not deserve to have their posts count..I differentiate between the individual, and certain posts that the individual makes.

WVUFAN
09-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Thank you, hoops and Anxiety.

And it's not just about that one post, Eric. Schmidty's been throwing my name around a lot today...

Well, if I did (and I don't think I did, but I want to be sure), I apologize. I certainly don't think you have anything to do with this, nor should you lose any post counts.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 08:37 PM
how can it not be? Please tell me what complaint people are making about werewolf? It is obviously the post count issue since SD turned them off?

You're not understanding my point.

You're making the claim that the same people that complained about post counts are the same that are saying you shouldn't be worried about post counts.

How do you know these are the same people?

WVUFAN
09-27-2006, 08:43 PM
I differentiate between the individual, and certain posts that the individual makes.

SkyDog:
No one on this board should be treated like second-class citizens.

Y'know, it seems from all intentions that every decision you make I've disagreed with, but it's not true, but you're free to take this however you will. I know you could not give two cents for my opinion, but here goes ... you should treat EVERYONE fairly. People who post in WW threads are every bit as important to this board than people who post in Hot or Not, or in Drunk Guy, or in Maximum Football, or any other thread that doesn't have FOF-related material. The out-of-topic discussions, REGARDLESS of what they are, are the very reason this board has lasted as long as it has. It creates familiarity with others, it allows you to see who you choose to have discussions with. It has value.

I'm sorry you don't see that value. I'm disapointed that you don't see that value. If you did get complaints about WW, I'm sorry you take people's baseless, childish and immature complaints to heart, while ignoring the people who play in their game, don't threadjack, don't bother anyone else and has done NO harm to this board.

I've disagreed with you on topics before, and I've been proven wrong a few times in my assertions when we spoke via IM or on boards. This time, SkyDog, you're wrong. You're just wrong, man.

:shakes head:

Fouts
09-27-2006, 08:45 PM
I think Skydog is saying that he treats every individual fairly, but not every post an individual makes. So the individual isn't the second class citizen, the post topic is.

dawgfan
09-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Skydog is saying, LITERALLY, "You're not cool enough for the rest of us". This is akin to not letting the little kid on the block play with the other kids because you own the football. It's childish.
Actually, he's not LITERALLY saying that. He's saying that the WW game is a different kind of thread than other FOFC threads, just like Dynasty reports, Hattrick specific discussions, etc. And he's right - WW threads and posts are a game, a game that requires people to post often.

The vast majority of FOFC threads are off-topic, since there hasn't been a new Solecismic product in quite a while. But while many of these off-topic threads are silly and inane, they are different in a few key respects: posting in them is voluntary; those posts in general are more likely to reveal the character of the person making them; they are generally observations, opinions or humor, all of which bring a contribution to the flavor of the board. WW posts can certainly contain these, but those are off-topic posts within a WW thread; are not the majority of the posts in WW threads mechanical in nature, i.e. related specifically to the mechanics of how the game works?

What SkyDog did is give the WW players their own specific forum section just like the Dynasty authors, the Hattrick enthusiasts, the FOFC multiplayer matchmakers, the IHOF members and the PC/Console game reviewers (note: this is the only forum segregation where I don't understand the logic behind the decision). And while I don't really care either way about his decision to invalidate WW thread posts from a user's post count, there is at least some logic behind that decision.

Schmidty
09-27-2006, 09:11 PM
And while I don't really care either way about his decision to invalidate WW thread posts from a user's post count, there is at least some logic behind that decision.

Give me a good reason why that wasn't done to hattrick people as well then............

Waiting...............

hoopsguy
09-27-2006, 09:13 PM
FWIW, I apprecaite some of the people who don't participate in WW threads for offering up constructive thoughts on this - Dawgfan and Buccaneer are two that immediately come to mind.

dawgfan
09-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Give me a good reason why that wasn't done to hattrick people as well then............

Waiting...............
Do I look like the mod? Did I pass any judgement on the fact that post counts were invalidated for WW threads?

FWIW, I could understand if SkyDog wanted to invalidate Hattrick thread posts from user's post counts as well by the same logic I provided for WW threads; which is not to say I'm advocating either way, just saying I could see the logic if such a decision was made.

Why the fuck do you care so much?

Raiders Army
09-27-2006, 10:00 PM
My thoughts:

The posters in the WW threads were not discriminated against as individuals, but rather as a group.
We're mostly men here, so we measure ourselves by our manhood, or rather in this case, our post count.
There are some people on FOFC that don't think that WW posts mean anything...more than likely they haven't played the game.
Jealousy or post envy obviously made these people complain.

IMHO, we (as in everyone) should get over it. It ain't no biggie. I liken this to someone taking my parking place at work. I'm somewhat higher up on the food chain in the Army and I believe it's a lower enlisted guy taking my parking place sometimes (and different ones as well). Do I stress over it? Nah. Do I leave a note for them saying it's my parking place? Nah. (Technically, only the generals and handicapped have reserved places) I just park somewhere else. In this case, I'm not going to go anywhere else, but I will shrug at the complaints of those who believe that WW is not as important to FOFC as other threads as I will shrug at the complaints of those who lost posts.

If you played WW strictly to pad your post count, that was the wrong reason to play. That being said, shouldn't the WW parody threads be moved here as well? A parody of something that doesn't count shouldn't count, no? ;)

wade moore
09-27-2006, 10:03 PM
IMHO, we (as in everyone) should get over it. It ain't no biggie. I liken this to someone taking my parking place at work. I'm somewhat higher up on the food chain in the Army and I believe it's a lower enlisted guy taking my parking place sometimes (and different ones as well). Do I stress over it? Nah. Do I leave a note for them saying it's my parking place? Nah. (Technically, only the generals and handicapped have reserved places) I just park somewhere else. In this case, I'm not going to go anywhere else, but I will shrug at the complaints of those who believe that WW is not as important to FOFC as other threads as I will shrug at the complaints of those who lost posts.

You should be in the Navy. At least in Norfolk, the Officers get the best parking, then the E7-E9, then the rest of the rabble.

Buccaneer
09-27-2006, 10:07 PM
FWIW, I apprecaite some of the people who don't participate in WW threads for offering up constructive thoughts on this - Dawgfan and Buccaneer are two that immediately come to mind.

Well, like everything else, there are multiple truths in what everyone is saying. It probably does come down to post counts because as SkyDog admitted (he is not the only one), it contributes as a way of valueing a member here. You have to admit yourself that WW threads are a different animal (pun not intended) than everything else. You sign up to play a WW game and you are committed to play the game - which is to post until you get killed, lynched or the game ends. It is not voluntary unless you quit the game (which I've rarely seen). In other words, it is like an online MP league. We do not count posts from IHOF, FOBL, FBCB-FOFC or the many other leagues that many of us are in. WW, being an online MP league, realy has nothing more to do with FOFC than any of those leagues and technically, should have its own forum off of FOFC - if you believe the comparison is valid. You have to admit that WW is closer in format to Hattrick than the GD, so having a separate WW forum makes sense.

Now the argument is that Hattrick falls into the exact same category - and you would have a point. Hattrick, in my mind, is no different than any other MP text sims league. Should WW be treated differently than Hattrick? Probably not, they should be treated the same. In other words, put in a different forum. As far as post counts, either both don't count or both do count. That would make it fair, I think.

I am not of the opinion that post counts make a person more or less valued. My brother has a little over 100 posts here and nearly every one of those are intelligent and well thought out (if not over the head of most FOFCers). But SkyDog would not care anything about him or anything he said, unless it's a topic that he is close to. You should know how he works by now but it's a form of leadership that has proven successful: to be able to spend the time prudently without getting bogged down in details (which should be delegated). It also has to be a measure of fun and that's why he cares only about what he writes and those topics from others he would write about. That's just the way it is.

FOFC, in my years of experience, is a rare breed on the internet. 95% of those posts are written well, with relatively few "chat-like" posts. That's how we can attract a diverse community because more threads are of interest to more people - and there is an unwritten implication to keep that going. That's probably why jbonics is ridiculed, not only for the entertainment factor but we, as a community, do want to discourage more of that.

I've got to go but thanks for asking. Sorry for not proof-reading or editing.

wade moore
09-27-2006, 10:11 PM
FOFC, in my years of experience, is a rare breed on the internet. 95% of those posts are written well, with relatively few "chat-like" posts. That's how we can attract a diverse community because more threads are of interest to more people - and there is an unwritten implication to keep that going. That's probably why jbonics is ridiculed, not only for the entertainment factor but we, as a community, do want to discourage more of that.

I'm worried that this part of this post will not be seen by the community at large.

To me this is a GREAT summary of what it is that brings me back to FOFC day after day.

Abe Sargent
09-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Agreed Buc and wade. Very well spoken!

Raiders Army
09-27-2006, 10:21 PM
You should be in the Navy. At least in Norfolk, the Officers get the best parking, then the E7-E9, then the rest of the rabble.

I believe in November I'll be coming to Suffolk or Norfolk for a TRADOC conference...maybe I'll try to get a good parking space! Seriously though, when I was a commander, I gave my parking space to the "soldier of the week" every week so I never had one then. I'm used to it. :D

wade moore
09-27-2006, 10:24 PM
I believe in November I'll be coming to Suffolk or Norfolk for a TRADOC conference...maybe I'll try to get a good parking space! Seriously though, when I was a commander, I gave my parking space to the "soldier of the week" every week so I never had one then. I'm used to it. :D

Sorry you have to go to Norfolk.. I hate that town ;)..

GoldenEagle
09-27-2006, 10:45 PM
I still would like to know who complained, other than a mod.

But when someone is so ignorant in their ways there is nothing you can do it. When that person runs the board, you just have to deal with. So, fuck it.

dawgfan
09-28-2006, 01:11 AM
But when someone is so ignorant in their ways there is nothing you can do it. When that person runs the board, you just have to deal with. So, fuck it.
Good grief - what did SkyDog do that was so horrible or ignorant?

You can still play Werewolf here - there's absolutely nothing preventing that from happening.

So what that your posts in the WW threads here won't count - does this really bother you? If so, have you stopped for a second to think about what that means, that you give a fuck about your post count on a forum on the internet?

I think Bucc and I have done a pretty good job of suggesting the reason why SkyDog views posts made in WW threads are different than posts in other threads. And he himself has explained in what ways post counts matter to him as a moderator when making decisions.

If it bugs you so much that the Hattrick forum and the Wereworlf forum are being handled differently, then make that point to SkyDog - I can certainly support the idea that if posts from this forum don't count, posts in the Hattrick forum shouldn't count either.

But damn, I just can't fathom the level of vitriol from certain people here about this decision - I just don't get it.

wade moore
09-28-2006, 05:29 AM
I still would like to know who complained, other than a mod.

Good god hop off of your falsely built high horse. You do NOT know what is going on here.

This was not done because of a mod complaining about WW threads.

stevew
09-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Sorry you have to go to Norfolk.. I hate that town ;)..

Yep, I do as well. There are a few nice places to go though, if you got a ton of money the McArthur center is pretty cool, so is Waterside. I was more annoyed by the traffic layout, etc when I lived there and the high cost of housing if you wanted to live in a decent area.

wade moore
09-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Yep, I do as well. There are a few nice places to go though, if you got a ton of money the McArthur center is pretty cool, so is Waterside. I was more annoyed by the traffic layout, etc when I lived there and the high cost of housing if you wanted to live in a decent area.

Yeah, it's not too bad to visit if you know some places to go.

But having to spend a lot of time there (I commuted and worked at the naval base for 3 years, go to ODU basketball games sometimes, visit work friends, etC) I hated it...

BrianD
09-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Good grief - what did SkyDog do that was so horrible or ignorant?

You can still play Werewolf here - there's absolutely nothing preventing that from happening.

So what that your posts in the WW threads here won't count - does this really bother you? If so, have you stopped for a second to think about what that means, that you give a fuck about your post count on a forum on the internet?

I think Bucc and I have done a pretty good job of suggesting the reason why SkyDog views posts made in WW threads are different than posts in other threads. And he himself has explained in what ways post counts matter to him as a moderator when making decisions.

If it bugs you so much that the Hattrick forum and the Wereworlf forum are being handled differently, then make that point to SkyDog - I can certainly support the idea that if posts from this forum don't count, posts in the Hattrick forum shouldn't count either.

But damn, I just can't fathom the level of vitriol from certain people here about this decision - I just don't get it.

I can understand the anger surrounding this. SkyDog moved the WW threads because of the complaints of inflated post counts. That means SkyDog cares about and puts some stock in post counts. Since SkyDog cares about post counts, he just gave a slap in the face to everyone affected by the thread moves. If he didn't care about post counts, he would have told the people ocmplaining to take a hike.

GoldenEagle
09-28-2006, 10:21 AM
I can understand the anger surrounding this. SkyDog moved the WW threads because of the complaints of inflated post counts. That means SkyDog cares about and puts some stock in post counts. Since SkyDog cares about post counts, he just gave a slap in the face to everyone affected by the thread moves. If he didn't care about post counts, he would have told the people ocmplaining to take a hike.

That is exactly it. It is not the fact that I live and die by post counts. I have played in three WW games, so it is not like my post count was affected much by this. But post counts do mean something on this board and that is shown here.

BrianD
09-28-2006, 10:31 AM
That is exactly it. It is not the fact that I live and die by post counts. I have played in three WW games, so it is not like my post count was affected much by this. But post counts do mean something on this board and that is shown here.

Add to that the fact that SD said there is no way post counts would be removed and you really know that there is a purpose to them. I still think counting WW posts makes sense because this is one area that really is community building. There are so many threads and posts that are just random "look at me" posts, but WW threads are all about interaction...which is what a community should be.

Schmidty
09-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Why the fuck do you care so much?

I think I've made that fairly clear already: WW players got singled out, and it's bullshit.

Pay more attention.

Poli
09-28-2006, 11:53 AM

Norfolk, yech. Stationed there, not fun.

st.cronin
09-28-2006, 11:54 AM
It's not like there are people who play werewolf and don't contribute in other ways. Are there? I can't think of any.

dawgfan
09-28-2006, 12:08 PM
I think I've made that fairly clear already: WW players got singled out, and it's bullshit.

Pay more attention.
WW players got singled out, just like Hattrickers, Dynasty writers, IHOF players, FOF multiplayer matchmakers, PC/Console gamers, etc. Forgive me if I don't shed a tear that got moved to your own forum - you can still play and you can still adverstise new games on the General Discussion board. Are people so pampered now in the internet age that they bitch because they have to click a link or two to get to something they like, or have to add a new bookmark to go directly there?

The only point I can see as being valid is the complaint that posts in the Hattrick forum and the posts here are not handled the same in terms of post counts - either both should count or neither should count.

Do you not follow the logic Bucc and I have provided on why SkyDog might consider WW posts and other posts as different?

st.cronin
09-28-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm actually pretty excited about the new forum. Expect to see less of me in GD, though.

hoopsguy
09-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Actually, the forum that will likely get none of my time at this point is the Dynasty forum. I wasn't a huge participant there but I had started a couple of dynasties, participate in others, and read along with a number of them. But it is a bit of a nuisance to switch between multiple forums. I expect I'll still visit GD quite a bit, participate from time to time, but instead of checking it ten times a day I'll be checking it a couple of times a day.

BrianD
09-28-2006, 12:22 PM
WW players got singled out, just like Hattrickers, Dynasty writers, IHOF players, FOF multiplayer matchmakers, PC/Console gamers, etc. Forgive me if I don't shed a tear that got moved to your own forum - you can still play and you can still adverstise new games on the General Discussion board. Are people so pampered now in the internet age that they bitch because they have to click a link or two to get to something they like, or have to add a new bookmark to go directly there?

How many of those forums were created because they were taking up too much realestate on the main forum and how many were created because the content was considered worth less than other content?

The only point I can see as being valid is the complaint that posts in the Hattrick forum and the posts here are not handled the same in terms of post counts - either both should count or neither should count.

I agree that is one aspect, but I think there is more to it than that. Werewolf is a changing and evolving game much like the various IWS, HorN, and Enigma games. They do much better when they are visible and can draw new players who see the interest the games often show. Moving WW to its own forum is a good way to ensure that only current players follow the games and there is a good chance that they will become boring and stale without new people

Do you not follow the logic Bucc and I have provided on why SkyDog might consider WW posts and other posts as different?

I follow it, I just don't agree with it.

dawgfan
09-28-2006, 12:38 PM
How many of those forums were created because they were taking up too much realestate on the main forum and how many were created because the content was considered worth less than other content?
I guess I missed the part where SkyDog said WW threads were moving to their own forum because they are "considered worth less than other content".

dawgfan
09-28-2006, 12:42 PM

Pay more attention.
Also, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough - I know that you're upset because you feel like WW players got singled out and you think it's bullshit - I just don't get why this is something you allow yourself to feel upset over.

Poli
09-28-2006, 12:45 PM

I think I'm with hoops on this. I'm still not sure what to think of it all. I want to make sure I have all the facts as well.

Raiders Army
09-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Norfolk, yech. Stationed there, not fun.

Sorry to threadjack further, but I'll probably be there in mid-December as well for a few days for another conference.

wade moore
09-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Sorry to threadjack further, but I'll probably be there in mid-December as well for a few days for another conference.

Well, I can give you ideas of stuff to do potentially, depending on where you are, what you have for transportation, etc..

Probably can't make it out there as December is a bad time for me though...

BrianD
09-28-2006, 12:58 PM
I guess I missed the part where SkyDog said WW threads were moving to their own forum because they are "considered worth less than other content".

He moved the threads specifically to decrease post counts. This means that he puts a value on them and these threads aren't worth counting toward that. He didn't move the threads because they were taking up too much space or because they were blocking out other posts, he moved them because they were creating inflated counts and he didn't think that was right.

My bigger complaint is the added hassle of moving between boards, being made to feel like we need to be moved away somewhere and not be part of the main community and the likely damage to the game as a whole with new people not being drawn to the game.

Poli
09-28-2006, 12:58 PM

Well, I should clarify. I was stationed there, thankfully no longer. I will be flying into that area December 17th or so, though. Then a nice bus ride to South Carolina to turn in all my Army of One gear that I haven't touched since the 2nd to last day in South Carolina.

Poli
09-28-2006, 01:03 PM
I will say that, based on my experience, Hattrick/FOFC has never been the same since the sub-forum. We, hattrick users on FOFC, just don't see new people from FOFC joining our ranks like we once did.

saldana
09-28-2006, 01:13 PM
I will say that, based on my experience, Hattrick/FOFC has never been the same since the sub-forum. We, hattrick users on FOFC, just don't see new people from FOFC joining our ranks like we once did.

i actually went to the hattrick forum for the first time last night...i havent got the slightest idea what it even is, or how to play....i just wanted to see who was active there and try and find a primer to see what it was about...something i most likely would have already known if it was in GD

Raiders Army
09-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Well, I can give you ideas of stuff to do potentially, depending on where you are, what you have for transportation, etc..

Probably can't make it out there as December is a bad time for me though...

Right now I'm not sure what free time we'll have. I haven't received an agenda yet nor have we decided who is going; well, I'm going for sure but depending on who else is going with me will depend on how many breakout discussions and whatnot I'll have to attend. I'll keep this in mind...although I have a tendency to bring my 360 along and play that in my free time since I'm away from the family. :D

dawgfan
09-28-2006, 01:32 PM
He moved the threads specifically to decrease post counts. This means that he puts a value on them and these threads aren't worth counting toward that. He didn't move the threads because they were taking up too much space or because they were blocking out other posts, he moved them because they were creating inflated counts and he didn't think that was right.
Hmmm, OK - I guess I didn't read it the same way, that moving the threads to a new forum was just about being able to turn off the post counts.

My bigger complaint is the added hassle of moving between boards, being made to feel like we need to be moved away somewhere and not be part of the main community and the likely damage to the game as a whole with new people not being drawn to the game.
OK, so you have to click a link to get here from the main forum or you keep another browser tab open specifically to this forum - I don't see where this is a hassle for someone.

Regarding the game not drawing as many participants as before, we'll have to see - as others have pointed out, you now have freedom to have as many WW games going at once as you like and I believe I saw another post saying modding decisions for the games will now be easier as well. You can still advertise your games on the GD forum. Maybe the games will wither, and maybe it will be solely because of the move. Time will tell on that one.

wade moore
09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Right now I'm not sure what free time we'll have. I haven't received an agenda yet nor have we decided who is going; well, I'm going for sure but depending on who else is going with me will depend on how many breakout discussions and whatnot I'll have to attend. I'll keep this in mind...although I have a tendency to bring my 360 along and play that in my free time since I'm away from the family. :D

The one time I travelled with my PS2 I got burned because the hotel TV had A/V ports disabled, so I don't do that anymore...

BrianD
09-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Hmmm, OK - I guess I didn't read it the same way, that moving the threads to a new forum was just about being able to turn off the post counts.

In re-reading the first post of this thread, I think SkyDog was very clear to not give a reason for the move other than it being the #1 complaint. But look at the results. Since new signups and player-needed threads still go in GD, exactly one thread at a time was moved. There is no savings there. It is true that this might spawn more games and could even improve the WW experience, but there was nothing actually changed by the move other than the fact that post counts were changed. He also made other comments about WW posts artifically inflating post counts. You really can't claim any other purpose since nobody involved asked for the move. He wasn't doing it to give the WW players anything extra.

OK, so you have to click a link to get here from the main forum or you keep another browser tab open specifically to this forum - I don't see where this is a hassle for someone.

It is a minor hassle regarding clicks. The bigger issue (and it is only slightly bigger) is that I now have to actively look for new threads/posts. I can't just hit F5 and see everything that is new. I was part of the WW community and the general community at the same time. It is kind of like being in a sports bar with 2 TVs showing 2 different games vs being in one with different rooms for each game. The hassle of moving is minor, but it has a feeling of two distinct communities.

Regarding the game not drawing as many participants as before, we'll have to see - as others have pointed out, you now have freedom to have as many WW games going at once as you like and I believe I saw another post saying modding decisions for the games will now be easier as well. You can still advertise your games on the GD forum. Maybe the games will wither, and maybe it will be solely because of the move. Time will tell on that one.

It is very possible that some good may come out of this. It is also possible that this will be the best thing to happen to WW games. For someone like me who isn't a die-hard WW player but who does like to mix in a few games along with the rest of the general discussion, it is a bit of a pain. I would be less unhappy if someone asked for this, but to have it forced on us makes me unhappy.

Schmidty
09-28-2006, 03:39 PM
I just don't get why this is something you allow yourself to feel upset over.

I am honestly not that upset about it, but I feel like the WW community is getting crapped on. This group of people contain individuals that I consider friends, and I always stick up for my friends, even at the expense of looking like a tool.

Poli
09-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Tool or not, you can watch my back. :)