PDA

View Full Version : Showtime Series - Dexter

Pages : [1] 2

Bad-example
10-03-2006, 11:38 PM
I watched the first episode last night. I think this show looks pretty promising. They were smart to cast a couple actors from OZ, Enrique Morales and Doctor Nathan, in minor roles. They know they are after a similar audience. Also, setting the show in Miami was a good decision. I hope this one develops into a solid show. I haven't really looked forward to a Showtime original show since Outer Limits, although Weeds is ok.

ISiddiqui
10-03-2006, 11:40 PM
If they wanted to be faithful to the books they had to set it in Miami. I know that isn't always a priority for show producers, but Dexter Morgan really gels with Miami it seems to me.

Bad-example
10-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Ah, I had no idea this was based on a series of books. I have a long reading list at the moment but might have to add this.

TazFTW
10-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Great pilot. Hope it keeps it up.

Fouts
10-04-2006, 01:37 AM
I loved it. Creepy show, with some weird characters. Just when I think about getting rid of showtime, this show pops up.

bosshogg23
10-04-2006, 06:42 AM
If they wanted to be faithful to the books they had to set it in Miami. I know that isn't always a priority for show producers, but Dexter Morgan really gels with Miami it seems to me.

It is set in Miami.

I enjoyed the first episode, Erik King playing the pissed off cop, had some great lines.

If you think this show is good, try Brotherhood on Showtime, its excellent and renewed for a 2nd season.

Swaggs
10-04-2006, 09:17 AM
This looked interesting to me.

I like to rent shows like these on DVD after the season, so I can watch them all in a row, rather than waiting for a full season to unfold. :)

Passacaglia
10-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Dexter has an awesome cider mill.

Bad-example
10-04-2006, 11:42 AM
A nice read on Dexter and Showtime.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/29/DDGH8LDUS21.DTL&hw=goodman&sn=015&sc=189

Showtime is now officially a pain in the backside for viewers who like high-quality television -- and that's not a wallet-specific reference.

With the dark, creepy but utterly compelling "Dexter," you could argue that Showtime has a trifecta of top-notch series worth shelling out money to see -- "Weeds," one of the best shows on television; "Brotherhood"; and now "Dexter." The pay channel has been searching for an identity for ages and is slowly proving that you can't just ignore it anymore.

However, an argument can be made -- though Showtime won't want to hear it -- that until it gets two more high-end series, the option to wait and get the episodes on DVD or Netflix might be more appealing than shelling out the monthly charge. "Sleeper Cell," "The L Word" and even "Penn & Teller: Bull -- !" are fine in their way, but when it comes to the cold, calculating decision making based on cash, they are not nearly enough.

At least with "Dexter," starring Michael C. Hall from "Six Feet Under" and based on the novel "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" by Jeff Lindsay, there has to be a legitimate discussion of ponying up for the goods. ("Weeds" alone is worth that for some people, but a one- or two-season commitment to a series is not the way to build long-term confidence; viewers want to know they can hang onto something for four or five years. That said, "Showtime" did pick up a 10-episode second season of "Brotherhood" when the numbers hardly merited it, so that's a positive sign.)

"Dexter" will no doubt divide an audience, what with the premise being that by day Dexter is a blood-splatter analyst for the Miami Police Department -- an expert in his field -- and by night, well, he's a sociopathic killer. Also an expert in that field.

The twist, as it was laid out in Lindsay's book, is that not long after young Dexter Morgan is taken in by a foster family, his foster father, Harry (James Remar in a low-key role), a Miami police detective, comes to understand that Dexter is different. He's killing animals. And chopping them up. Before he came to the Morgans, something was lost for good in the boy. As he got older, that desire to kill grew, and Morgan senior took the unique (but loving) route of teaching Dexter to direct it at those people who really deserved it -- killers, rapists, serial drunken drivers, etc.

"Dexter," then, is a case study in situational ethics. What's the difference between rooting for him and rooting for Tony Soprano, the mob boss and killer? Dexter is solving a lot of crimes in his day job. And while committing a lot of crimes at night, he's cleaning up a lot of paperwork. Vigilante justice? Sure. But it goes beyond that. Dexter likes it. He really likes it.

What makes the series work so well is twofold. Hall is magnificent; it's another sterling performance from him. But instead of being pent up yet emotionally explosive, like his David Fisher on "Six Feet Under," he's cool and calculated and entirely without compassion as Dexter. That makes him alluring, in a strange way. That he kills bad guys is the free pass to like him, unless you're hung up on actual justice and against, say, strapping bad people on rubber-clad, plastic-wrapped killing tables and sawing them up but good.

The second element is humor. As Dexter's voice narrates the series, his inner world is revealed. He's dryly funny. He has a spot-on representation of himself -- he knows he's "a monster." But he clings to Dad's teachings -- his retribution killings are the only good way to handle his need for blood.

Or as Robert Greenblatt, entertainment president for Showtime said: "It's not your mother's 'CSI.' " Indeed not. Though it does contain more than enough gruesome lab scenes and a certain fanatic vengefulness about dissecting others, so that if you have a yen for forensics, your interest might be piqued.

Of course, anything as daring and original as this should be trumpeted to the masses if it indeed does cross a social line that will be discussed in supermarkets and dinner tables (and water coolers) everywhere. People will be talking about "Dexter." Maybe not rabid endorsements. But it will be dissected. As well it should. "Showtime" has taken a unique, bold premise and put just the right actor into the role, while testing the boundaries of what people will find acceptable. That's always the ultimate challenge -- providing grown-ups with difficult fare.

"Dexter" certainly fits that bill. It forces viewers to buy in or opt out on the whole situational-ethics thing. It makes them cringe by being shown depravity but also entertained because it's funny, well written and smartly paced.

Also, one of the clear drawbacks of the premise is addressed early. Specifically, is this really going to be a every-episode kind of arrangement? Will he kill each week? And won't that be boring, not to mention a deal-breaker at the church social? "You watch what? And you like it?"

A mystery that involves a serial killer unfolds and ensnares Dexter in it. The killer begins to leave messages and hints, taunting Dexter to solve his bloodless crimes. Dexter, in turn, is very impressed. And very curious. It's impossible not to like where that's headed.

So, yes, Showtime has another gem on its hands. The channel's batting average is rising, along with its standards. That may be good for quality, but it's a real pain for people who want to see high-end drama without paying for something that's not HBO.

bbor
10-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Pissed off that i don't get this show...It's right up my and my wifes alley

bosshogg23
10-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Pissed off that i don't get this show...It's right up my and my wifes alley

News Link (http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6376813.html?title=Article&spacedesc=news)

Starting Oct. 6th you can download Dexter on Yahoo according to the above link.

Showtime is free Oct. 6th - 9th so you should be able to see the 2nd espisode as well.

bbor
10-04-2006, 01:34 PM
News Link (http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6376813.html?title=Article&spacedesc=news)

Starting Oct. 6th you can download Dexter on Yahoo according to the above link.

Showtime is free Oct. 6th - 9th so you should be able to see the 2nd espisode as well.

Thx:)

Bad-example
10-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Three episodes in and the show still looks like a winner. Cool that they cast another member of the fraternity of OZ, Cyril O'Reilly. This series has a lot of potential.

Bad-example
10-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Showtime will be airing the first four episodes this saturday, the 28th.

bbor
10-24-2006, 08:58 PM
I've enjoyed this show immensly.

Eaglesfan27
10-25-2006, 04:56 PM
I've also enjoyed this show. I didn't realize it was based off a series of books (saw that it was based off a book in the credits but thought it was only one book.) I definitely will be adding the books to my "to read list."

Bad-example
10-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Tonight, 8pm for the replay of the first 4 episodes.

TazFTW
11-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Great episode today.

TazFTW
12-18-2006, 05:28 AM
Great season finale and it is good to know that this show will get a second season.

Bad-example
12-18-2006, 12:07 PM
A fine ending to a very entertaining first season. Very glad to hear it is returning. I bought the first book for my sister-in-law for xmas. Maybe I can get her to loan it to me when she finishes.

Flasch186
12-18-2006, 12:11 PM
It was great. Im glad I picked this show up.

Eaglesfan27
12-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Haven't watched it yet, but I peeked in the thread tentatively, hoping there were no spoilers. I will be watching the finale tonight with Mrs. Eaglesfan. We both have enjoyed it greatly, although I thought some issues were entirely too predictable. I hope the second season doesn't end up being 18 months or a long time away.

Yossarian
12-18-2006, 06:16 PM
I loved the finale.

I agree with Eaglesfan27 that I did find the show in many ways predictable but it didn't detract from my enjoyment because the execution (if you pardon the pun) was so excellent.

The writing and acting in this show is outstanding. I *knew* how things would end yet still found myself on the edge of my seat.

Eaglesfan27
12-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I loved the finale.

I agree with Eaglesfan27 that I did find the show in many ways predictable but it didn't detract from my enjoyment because the execution (if you pardon the pun) was so excellent.

The writing and acting in this show is outstanding. I *knew* how things would end yet still found myself on the edge of my seat.

Well said. I think it takes a certain talent for a show to be predictable yet still entertain me every week. I thought the finale was excellent. From looking at Sho dot com website, it appears it will be next fall before we get season 2. I'm looking forward to it.

TazFTW
10-01-2007, 12:05 AM
It's back! Good start for this season and here's to hoping that the show improves with original material instead of going off the book (my understanding is that season 2 is an original storyline).

Also good to see C.S. Lee is able to be in both Chuck and Dexter. He doesn't get much camera time but he cracks me up when does appear.

Jas_lov
10-01-2007, 12:50 AM
It's gonna be a great season! The first episode was very good. Dexter is starting to get sloppy and it looks like more people than just Seargant Doakes are going to become suspicious of him. The whole show is brilliant, except for maybe the sister who gets annoying at times but I think that's the way the role is supposed to be acted.

timmynausea
10-01-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm glad it's back. I'm hoping now that it's veering off from the books the plot will get a little twistier and more unpredictable than the first season. If they could get the plot/story details up to par with the production value and acting, this could be the best show on TV.

Eaglesfan27
10-29-2007, 03:16 PM
I find this season much less predictable and even more entertaining. Last night's show was brilliant. I thought the interactions between Lila and Dexter were very well done, as was the confrontation between Dexter and his antagonist this week. Several moments surprised me:

I never thought much about Dexter's mom and to find out that she was an informant was the first surprise, but I was even more surprised to find out that Harry was sleeping with her and is likely (definitely?) Dexter's biological father. That is going to put even more fascinating chips in the code of Harry and Dexter's believe in it.

Travis
10-29-2007, 03:25 PM
I find this season much less predictable and even more entertaining. Last night's show was brilliant. I thought the interactions between Lila and Dexter were very well done, as was the confrontation between Dexter and his antagonist this week. Several moments surprised me:

I never thought much about Dexter's mom and to find out that she was an informant was the first surprise, but I was even more surprised to find out that Harry was sleeping with her and is likely (definitely?) Dexter's biological father. That is going to put even more fascinating chips in the code of Harry and Dexter's believe in it.

I'll disagree with you here. I don't think Harry is his biological father for a couple reasons. First the blood that they had to go to his "real" father for and for Harry to be the biological father, he'd have had to have been having an affair with her for quite a few years (at least 4ish) prior to the time she's killed.

Cursed spoilers ;)

Eaglesfan27
10-29-2007, 03:26 PM
That is a good counter point to my hypothesis. Although, it was still a shock to learn the first part of my supposition which I'm sure of :)

Travis
10-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh definitely. There have been a couple really good "WTF?!" moments the last couple episodes. Not basing this on anything other than a hunch, but I wonder how long until he ends up having to off Lila. Just a guess of course, but I'm curious how deep she'll get before they reign her in.

vex
10-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Randy?

Eaglesfan27
10-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Oh definitely. There have been a couple really good "WTF?!" moments the last couple episodes. Not basing this on anything other than a hunch, but I wonder how long until he ends up having to off Lila. Just a guess of course, but I'm curious how deep she'll get before they reign her in.

Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. I think he'll reveal all to her and then have to kill her when he doubts his ability to trust her to keep his secret.

gkb
10-29-2007, 04:12 PM
I recently purchased all of season 1 from iTunes and I've caught an episode or two from the second season. I really enjoy the show.

Jas_lov
11-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. I think he'll reveal all to her and then have to kill her when he doubts his ability to trust her to keep his secret.

Anybody still watching? Lila is the one manipulating him! Did Dexter realize this at the end of the show? Was that what the fixed lightbulb was supposed to represent? Dexter vs. Doakes is getting pretty interesting. You know Doakes is going to come after him at some point. They now know the Bay Harbor Butcher has a police background. Even if they get some evidence on Dexter will he say Doakes planted it? Any chances Dexter frames Doakes as the Bay Harbor Butcher? I think I'm getting too many crazy plots in my head. The show is getting really interesting though.

Travis
11-12-2007, 11:51 AM
I really enjoyed last night's episode and was happy to see them do a lot to advance Lila's character (especially because I think it takes her in a direction that will end up with her out of the show but in such a fashion that Dexter's character builds significantly).

Also count me in the camp as really enjoying the Doakes story. Quite curious to see how Doakes will come back after this, should make for a nice series of confrontations/revelations. It's almost sad in a way as I can't imagine very many satisfactory ways of their story wrapping up without Doakes being removed in the end.

timmynausea
11-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Last night was the best episode in a while. The show was starting to lose me a little bit, but I'm hoping it will finish the season strong.

korme
11-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Watching last night's episode tonight, but would like to point out I made a Dexter season 2 thread about 2 weeks ago and I think it got only 1 reply!

korme
11-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Also, could anyone provide a link to the series of books the show is based on? My mom is interested in them.

cartman
11-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Lila is pretty damn hot.

Eaglesfan27
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Lila is pretty damn hot.

Yes, she is. Hot and crazy. Mrs. E and I just watched this episode and really enjoyed it. I think Dexter did realize something is really off about her at the end, but I'm not sure he has put it all together yet just because of the lightbulb. I'm really interested in seeing what Doakes does next as well as how the triangle eventually resolves. It was nice to see Rita stand up to her mother as well.

korme
11-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Just watched the episode

Pardon my boobs

Bad-example
11-19-2007, 02:47 AM
Tonight's episode was just brilliant. I can't wait to see how they finish off the season.

Travis
11-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Tonight's episode was just brilliant. I can't wait to see how they finish off the season.

You're not kidding, easily the best episode this season and comes close to if not being the best episode of the series so far. Felt a little punch drunk afterwards as they just kept bringing it all episode, but was disappointed when the credits ran and can't wait for the next episode.

Eaglesfan27
11-20-2007, 04:44 PM

We just watched it and I agree. This season has been excellent and tonight's epsiode was one of the best, yet. I'm disappointed this season is winding up but can't wait for the Finale.

Jas_lov
11-20-2007, 04:52 PM
It was a wonderful episode! I can't wait to see who goes down as the Bay Harbor Butcher or if the case is even resolved this season. Doakes certainly made himself look more suspicous when he abruptly left the meeting with Lundy and didn't even show up to the one with La Guareta.

Bee
11-20-2007, 07:56 PM
DO NOT FOLLOW LINK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THE TEASERS FOR NEXT WEEK.

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2007/11/dexter-episode-209-resistance-is-futile_19.html

The first one was very cool. :D

korme
11-26-2007, 03:06 PM
LAST NIGHTS EPISODE = HOLY SHIT

Travis
11-26-2007, 03:11 PM
DO NOT FOLLOW LINK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THE TEASERS FOR NEXT WEEK.

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2007/11/dexter-episode-209-resistance-is-futile_19.html

The first one was very cool. :D

Not only very cool, but they managed to take everything there and completely twist it, fantastic episode. Can't wait to see how this all ties up and how (if?!) it'll lead into a third season.

Eaglesfan27
11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Not only very cool, but they managed to take everything there and completely twist it, fantastic episode. Can't wait to see how this all ties up and how (if?!) it'll lead into a third season.

Agreed. Brilliant episode. The trailer at the end worried me because it also raised the question of will there be a third season. I hope so, easily one of my top 3 favorite shows on TV right now.

Jas_lov
11-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Another excellent episode. Can't wait to see how Dexter deals with Doakes, his gunshot wound, the feds, rita, lila, and everything else. My guess is that a 3rd season is very likely. This show is the highest rated show Showtime has ever had and this season might be better than the last so there's no reason to get rid of it now.

korme
11-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Highest rated show ever for Showtime? That's incredible, I didn't think it was that popular.

gkb
11-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I didn't even know that not having a 3rd season was a possibility. That would suck...this is really a good show.

TazFTW
12-03-2007, 02:11 AM
I like Doakes and I'll be sad when they get rid of him. :( His conversations with Dex have been cool. Maybe Dexter can get those tools back and implicate Lila instead.

Eaglesfan27
12-03-2007, 12:02 PM
I like Doakes and I'll be sad when they get rid of him. :( His conversations with Dex have been cool. Maybe Dexter can get those tools back and implicate Lila instead.

I like Doakes as well, but I can't imagine there will be any way to have him hang around now. We watched this show before work this morning and it just continues to get better. This second season is much more unpredictable, and it is hard to predict what effects this week's revelation will have on Dexter's psyche going forward, but I can't wait to find out.

Travis
12-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Actually, at this point, I'm wondering just how long Doakes might be around. If that storyline progresses through next season (I'm assuming he doesn't get killed this season at this point) with the trial being a central theme, you could get at least half a season to a full season off that, then if Doakes is convicted, there's always the chance of him escaping and tracking Dexter down again in season 4 or 5. Certainly won't be the same exposure as he's getting now, but they've left the possibiilty open to continue the show with him sticking around.

TazFTW
12-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Poor Doakes. :(

Nice ending that would have been good to close the series. It is good to see that Dexter will return in 2008. 5 minutes from the end I thought season 3 was going to have Dexter chasing Lila. Err, guess not. :)

Eaglesfan27
12-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Another great episode last night. I'm glad they didn't drag the Doakes situation out even though I like the character and the actor, I think this ending was more realistic. With Doakes still on the run or out there, you'd think someone besides La Guerta would start to believe him that he was framed or at least take a closer look at Dexter. I'm surprised Dexter found Lila so fast, but otherwise no quibbles with a great episode to end an excellent season.

korme
12-17-2007, 06:58 PM
My mom speculated she thinks he didn't cut her up because he was talking about starting over, and she thinks his new method is different so people don't question if the BHB is still out there.

I simply reason that he didn't cut her up because she was in France and news of her death won't hit Miami anyway so he isn't worried about just leaving her in that hotel room. Thoughts on that?

Eaglesfan27
12-17-2007, 07:02 PM
I think his stabbing her in the heart was very personal as she messed with Rita and the kids. For all of his belief that he doesn't have feelings, he is realizing that he genuinely cares for them and it affected him. However, I do agree with your mom that he is going to vary his methods so as not to resurrect the idea that the BHB is still out there.

TazFTW
09-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Season 3 starts tonight! :popcorn:

Eaglesfan27
09-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Mrs. Eaglesfan27 and I are watching it right after the Eagles-Bears game (which she won't be watching with me.)

kingnebwsu
09-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Dang you people with your premium network!!! (Shakes fist)

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Dexter is one of the 5 best shows on TV. Watch it! :p

stevew
10-30-2008, 01:57 AM
I really can't take Rita anymore.

Alan T
10-30-2008, 05:58 AM
I really can't take Rita anymore.

I liked Rita the first two seasons, but hated the other woman from the second season that Dexter had a fling with.. Rita now in season 3 is starting to fall into her category as a distraction away from what I enjoy about the show.

Eaglesfan27
10-30-2008, 06:59 AM
I liked Rita the first two seasons, but hated the other woman from the second season that Dexter had a fling with.. Rita now in season 3 is starting to fall into her category as a distraction away from what I enjoy about the show.

I just don't see her that way. She is key to one of his central struggles. He is evolving, and actually starting to care even if it is ever so slightly about others besides himself. He cared that his baby survived. He seems to be getting some enjoyment about sharing his secret with someone, first Lila (sp?) and then Prado. Still one of my favorite shows on TV.

Alan T
10-30-2008, 07:07 AM
I just don't see her that way. She is key to one of his central struggles. He is evolving, and actually starting to care even if it is ever so slightly about others besides himself. He cared that his baby survived. He seems to be getting some enjoyment about sharing his secret with someone, first Lila (sp?) and then Prado. Still one of my favorite shows on TV.

I think I did not convey my thoughts well enough. I understand why Rita is there, and I understand the purpose of this arc to show another inner struggle that Dexter is dealing with. I was regarding more the actress and how she is played on the show. I felt the first two seasons Rita was more distant emotionally with Dexter due to issues in her own past. It created an interesting relationship and still allowed us to see the struggle that Dexter has relating to anyone.

When Lila (is that her name? I can't remember even), came into the scene, she was interesting at first to me.. but then she became too needy, was too whiny and I just didn't enjoy watching her character anymore and that effected my appreciation for the entire purpose of showing Dexter's need to be able to share the "true him" with someone as he had hoped he could have done with his brother the previous season at times.

Rita now seems to have been able to get closer to Dexter emotionally either through comfort or some inner need due to having his child and now she is coming off too whiny or needy now and just doesn't come off as sweet Rita anymore I guess. For whatever it is worth, I have -always- hated the actress that plays Dexter's sister in this show as well.. she just annoys me too. :)

stevew
10-30-2008, 07:28 AM

I can see all that. I just find myself hitting the "+30" button on the remote every time she starts talking. Maybe i've found myself too often in the Dex type role where you have to keep knocking a dreamer spouse back down to reality, cause they have no concept of the way math works in regards to money, etc.

The ending to this storyline should be great. Especially how Prado is a lot smarter than Dex gives him credit for. I'm going to assume that at some point Prado will want Dex to off someone that doesn't meet the code(maybe involved with that Chicky Hines thing) and that will be the boiling point.

Eaglesfan27
10-30-2008, 07:12 PM
I agree that Prado trying to get Dex to off someone who doesn't meet the code is the likely spoiling point in their relationship. I'm just curious how Dex will handle it.. will he further discredit Prado since LaGuerta is already suspicious or will he kill him off which would be outside the code?

Alan T
10-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I agree that Prado trying to get Dex to off someone who doesn't meet the code is the likely spoiling point in their relationship. I'm just curious how Dex will handle it.. will he further discredit Prado since LaGuerta is already suspicious or will he kill him off which would be outside the code?

My guess is if that is where this season is going, something will present itself in a way where Dexter finds the need to kill him within the code. He will find out some shady dark side of Prado where he was behind a bunch of crimes or something else.

Jas_lov
11-11-2008, 08:35 AM

This happened on this week's show with Prado wanting Dexter to kill the defense attorney and it was ultimately resolved. The episode was fairly predictable and I hope the rest of the season doesn't end up with Miguel or Quinn being the skinner.

The worst part of the show is the IA chick. I just wish she'd go away.

Bad-example
11-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Been thinking Masuka is the skinner for a few weeks.

Eaglesfan27
11-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Been thinking Masuka is the skinner for a few weeks.

That would be unexpected. Quinn is my guess, and I really hope that I'm wrong.

Alan T
11-11-2008, 10:21 AM
That would be unexpected. Quinn is my guess, and I really hope that I'm wrong.

I told my wife that Sunday evening. Quinn is being staged in a certain way to where he's been trying to get trust from Dexter's sister, and at some point this season that will play a part in an episode as Quinn is revealed to be the skinner (and the IA girl who has been after him will suddenly be seen to be "in the right" the entire time) and Dexter's sister will realize she was played big time.

nilodor
11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Or Anton is the skinner, and Deb gets crushed again and next season she starts taking the law into her own hands, then dexter is forced with a decision to make.

Jas_lov
11-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Hopefully the skinner is a character we have yet to meet. The most predictable storyline is that Miguel Prado is the skinner, Dexter finds out, and he kills him for it. Quinn is probably the next most likely to be the skinner, then Anton, then Ramon Prado, then Angel's new girl, and so on.

Deb getting close to a guy and the guy turning out to be a serial killer has already been done so I don't think that'll be it.

Alan T
11-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Hopefully the skinner is a character we have yet to meet. The most predictable storyline is that Miguel Prado is the skinner, Dexter finds out, and he kills him for it. Quinn is probably the next most likely to be the skinner, then Anton, then Ramon Prado, then Angel's new girl, and so on.

Deb getting close to a guy and the guy turning out to be a serial killer has already been done so I don't think that'll be it.

The reason I am not sure that Prado is the skinner is that somewhat destroys his need for Dexter. He needs Dexter to do the dirty work for him.. prado is not the killer, he is just a guy with shady intentions that is using Dexter to remove people in his way. He starts off with some criminals who are "bad" people, and then slowly tries to make that black and white distinction into grey with someone like the Defense attorney.

stevew
11-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Did they show who the guy looking through the binoculars at Deb was? A few weeks back when she was talking to the black kid?

Eaglesfan27
11-11-2008, 05:48 PM
The reason I am not sure that Prado is the skinner is that somewhat destroys his need for Dexter. He needs Dexter to do the dirty work for him.. prado is not the killer, he is just a guy with shady intentions that is using Dexter to remove people in his way. He starts off with some criminals who are "bad" people, and then slowly tries to make that black and white distinction into grey with someone like the Defense attorney.

Yeah, I really don't think it is Miguel. He is a slimy DA, but I think he is living vicariously through Dexter and has never killed himself. It's clear his father's past has messed him up as well as his brother, so I wouldn't be shocked for it to be the other Prado, but I doubt that too. I'm hoping it is someone we haven't met as well. To me Quinn would be the predictable choice, with Anton being the next most predictable. Even though, Deb has fallen for the wrong guy before, I wouldn't be shocked to see her do so again. It is clear that she has issues with selecting guys that are good for her.

Alan T
11-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I think this last episode helps clear up that Anton is not the skinner, and I think it also makes me feel even more likely that it is Quinn as I had felt.

My next comment is in regards to the preview for next week, so I'll spoiler it:

I think the preview helps show the falling out that I had also predicted between Dexter and Miguel. I think we are starting to see where this season is leading to: Dexter's sister figuring out eventually that it is Quinn who is the skinner as she tries to save Anton's life and it sets up for a big confrontation.. while Dexter is conflicted by Miguel "breaking the code" that leads to a final show of the season killing of Miguel by Dexter to put a beast gone out of control out of society's way.

Unfortunately for me, I start traveling this week for a while, so I'll have to try to get my sling box hooked up before I leave so I can watch it!

Bad-example
11-17-2008, 09:42 AM
A friend and I were speculating that Prado ending up in prison is a possibility.

Eaglesfan27
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
I don't think Prado has any chance of ending up in prison - he knows way too much about Dexter for him to live once their relationship falls apart.

Alan T
11-17-2008, 09:52 AM
I don't think Prado has any chance of ending up in prison - he knows way too much about Dexter for him to live once their relationship falls apart.

Exactly.

Jas_lov
11-23-2008, 09:57 PM
So Miguel Prado has been using Dexter all along and those two will now go toe to toe. Very good episode. Someone already said Prado is unlikely to go to prison so maybe Dexter just kills him. It wouldn't go against the code because Prado has now killed an innocent person.

No big twist on the identity of the skinner, but at least it wasn't Quinn. Dexter vs. Prado is the main storyline anyway. I think the skinner will come back for Deb and Quinn. One of those two will die.

Eaglesfan27
11-25-2008, 07:05 AM
I don't think the Skinner will come after Deb or Quinn but will come after Dexter. Prado did something sneaky when he went into the interrogation room to talk to him alone, and I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow screws over Dexter. I thought it was an awesome episode. I didn't see any of the big things happening: the length of time of Prado's deception, the skinner being someone unpredictable, and Dexter really showing some true strong emotion.

Scoobz0202
12-01-2008, 02:53 PM
I actually thought this season kind of started out slow, but the past couple episodes have been awesome.

The end of last nights has me counting down till next Sunday.

Eaglesfan27
12-01-2008, 03:58 PM
I actually thought this season kind of started out slow, but the past couple episodes have been awesome.

The end of last nights has me counting down till next Sunday.

I didn't mind the beginning of the season because I knew it was building towards something great. This show has earned that kind of credit with me. Agreed about the last few episodes being outstanding. I can't wait for next Sunday night.

Bad-example
12-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Great show. Great ending this week.

Killing off Prado seems like the predictable, easy way to write it. Hoping they go another direction.

Eaglesfan27
12-01-2008, 04:27 PM

Killing off Prado seems like the predictable, easy way to write it. Hoping they go another direction.

I started to type that I don't think there is any way Prado can live through this, but then I was thinking a bit more: Dexter has tangible physical evidence on Prado, whereas Prado has nothing physical on Dexter (that we know of.) LaGuerta is starting to become suspicious of Prado, so that works in favor of Prado possibly going to prison and no one believing his rants about Dexter there. However, that seems like a dangerous liability for Dexter to leave out there. As Dexter said, there is no easy way to kill Prado without drawing attention to himself, as they are linked publicly. I think the only easy resolution for Dexter is if a cop kills Prado after he is found out to be responsible for Ellen's murder. I hope they don't go that route. Any other route should lead to an interesting season next year.

Travis
12-01-2008, 04:41 PM

Could be they do go a different direction, but if they do kill Prado (which is still the end game I'm guessing will happen) it'll likely be in a highly entertaining and unusual way. Can't see many ways of him remaining alive that'll make sense story wise that wouldn't seem entirely too contrived. I guess what I'm saying is that I hope they don't try and get too cute in handling this story just for the sake of not being predictable with the final result.

That said, I thought originally that Doakes would make it out alive and that season three would start off with his trial (and his accusations about Dexter and the fallout that would ensue) so maybe that'll be where season 4 ends up if they don't off Prado.

Eaglesfan27
12-01-2008, 04:57 PM
One other thought is that I kind of hope they don't kill Prado because Jimmy Smits has done such a brilliant job playing him.

Alan T
12-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I think Season 3 now ranks ahead of season 2 as far as my enjoyability goes. Season 1 is still the overall winner probably due to it being brand new though. I agree though that I think it is likely Prado will die, that seems to be the way the show ties up these loose ends. I am dying to see how Dexter gets out of his current mess though. Probably more eager to see the next episode then I have been in a while.

Jas_lov
12-01-2008, 09:26 PM
"You got the ring? I GOT CITY FUCKING HALL!!!!!!!!!"

Give Jimmy Smits an emmy already! The man is a genius. If only there was a way he could live another season. This show doesn't really like to end seasons on cliffhangers though so I doubt he lives.

It'll be interesting to see how Dexter gets away from the skinner. I think he might try to turn the skinner against Prado and have him do the killing of the DA.

Lathum
12-02-2008, 01:16 AM
My wife and I just started watching DVD 1 and 2 and we are loving it thus far.

Jas_lov
12-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Miguel Prado is dead. Didn't expect it to happen this episode and really didn't expect Dexter being captured for his bachelor party. Looks like Dexter may be in trouble for real next episode. Ramon Prado is one big angry bastard.

stevew
12-07-2008, 11:43 PM
I wonder if george king is miguel's bastard brother or something.

Still despise Rita.

Eaglesfan27
12-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Loved the twist of Dexter being "kidnapped" for his bachelor party, and enjoyed his punch on Masuka even more. Another excellent episode. I can't wait to see how things resolve the next week. I'm thinking either Ramon or the Skinner will be left unresolved for next season.

Bad-example
12-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Kind of a bummer, taking out Prado quickly and easily. Feel a bit let down by the anti-climax. The episode was still good but the writers just flushed him down, normal Dex style, bye bye Miguel.

At least they can have Jimmy Smits back in future seasons. He can be Dexter's dark side.

Eaglesfan27
12-08-2008, 12:36 PM
I didn't mind him taking Prado out that easily. Prado was a messed up person who is a master of the political game, but he doesn't have Dexter's real world experience with killing. I felt tension when he was killing Prado, but it was from Dexter's issues with his betrayed friendship. I loved the dialogue/interaction before he ended Prado's life. Also, I couldn't help but wonder throughout it if the Skinner was somehow going to save Prado which added to the tension. I just didn't see it as anti-climatic. Now, I'm looking forward to seeing the aftermath of that death as well as the issues of Ramon and the Skinner in the last episode.

mauchow
12-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Well. Another 9 month wait to the one of the best shows on TV.

Scoobz0202
12-15-2008, 09:22 PM
:(

Scoobz0202
12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
dola -

Great ending to season three, I felt. The scenes with dexter and the skinner were very well done.

Jas_lov
12-15-2008, 10:04 PM
It's Dexter's mother who Harry had an affair with. One would think a major storyline for season 4 would be Deb getting close to discovering that Dexter had a brother, The Ice Truck Killer.

I thought it was a pretty weak season finale since the climax was last episode. The best part of this season was Prado and Dexter's interactions and that was obviously missing. The season overall was good, but not up to par with Season 1 which was the best and Season 2 which was slightly worse than 1. Hopefully they stop doing so many scenes with Dexter's dad as they became too overplayed. I think this show might have one or two good years left in it.

Lathum
12-16-2008, 12:03 AM
So how do you guys ultimatly want the show to end?

Dexter killed?
Reformed?
Caught?

Eaglesfan27
12-16-2008, 12:30 AM
We just got done watching the Finale and we loved it. I think this show has at least several good seasons left in it, as long as they don't lose these writers who are doing a really good job with it. I don't find this episode anti-climatic at all. I thought all of the storylines were handled nicely and this episode provided context, paving the way for next season.

I don't want it to end, but if I had to pick a way it would be for him to be reformed by the changes in his life. I think that is unrealistic with the hunger in him, but at least slightly plausible as he is undergoing some real transformation with the impending birth of his son. I think if you had asked me that question in previous years, it would have been for Dexter to die.

Scoobz0202
12-16-2008, 12:31 AM
I would say either killed or reformed, but unsure which. Dexter getting caught would just suck, and I'm not sure why. Just the thought of it pisses me off.

Scoobz0202
12-16-2008, 12:33 AM
I don't want it to end, but if I had to pick a way it would be for him to be reformed by the changes in his life. I think that is unrealistic with the hunger in him, but at least slightly plausible as he is undergoing some real transformation with the impending birth of his son. I think if you had asked me that question in previous years, it would have been for Dexter to die.

Yea, I would probably want him to be reformed. The first two seasons probably him getting killed would have been no big deal, but I found myself this season growing more and more sympathetic to him for some reason.

But, can Dexter be reformed, though?

Alan T
12-16-2008, 05:19 AM
I would be very sad if they eventually end the show with him being reformed. I think it would be a cop-out by the writers in an attempt to not kill off a likable character and i think it would be unrealistic.

If they have to eventually end the series, I would prefer they have him killed. I think though that the show has quite a while left with possibilities though. I at least would like to see it last long enough for his own child to end up old enough that Dexter has to make the same decisions that his father did with him. Does Dexter's child have the same hunger? Does Dexter have to teach him the same lessons? In the end is that what gets Dexter killed... at some point down the road taking his child with him, things end up badly and in a final scene, Dexter finally shows some compassion by putting his own life on the line so his child could get away?

I see all kinds of possibilities for this show.

Eaglesfan27
12-16-2008, 07:53 AM
I would be very sad if they eventually end the show with him being reformed. I think it would be a cop-out by the writers in an attempt to not kill off a likable character and i think it would be unrealistic.

If they have to eventually end the series, I would prefer they have him killed. I think though that the show has quite a while left with possibilities though. I at least would like to see it last long enough for his own child to end up old enough that Dexter has to make the same decisions that his father did with him. Does Dexter's child have the same hunger? Does Dexter have to teach him the same lessons? In the end is that what gets Dexter killed... at some point down the road taking his child with him, things end up badly and in a final scene, Dexter finally shows some compassion by putting his own life on the line so his child could get away?

Agreed with all of this. I'm looking forward to Deb's reactions as well when she finds out it was Dexter's mother that was cheating with Harry. Plenty of interesting storylines are out there for future seasons, and as long as Michael Hall doesn't get tired of this role, I could see it going for a long time.

Jon
12-16-2008, 08:16 AM
I at least would like to see it last long enough for his own child to end up old enough that Dexter has to make the same decisions that his father did with him. Does Dexter's child have the same hunger? Does Dexter have to teach him the same lessons? In the end is that what gets Dexter killed... at some point down the road taking his child with him, things end up badly and in a final scene, Dexter finally shows some compassion by putting his own life on the line so his child could get away?

Hopefully they will take this sort of route in the show. That way they continue asking the question that I thought dominated the first season of the show: the nature vs nurture aspects of Dexter being a killer.

Dunleavy
12-16-2008, 08:22 AM
i thought the prado angle wasnt working for about the first half of the season but once the tension started look out man. several really good episodes followed

...the phrase "look out man" triggered this...sorry couldn't help myself

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQxZzZTHB4A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQxZzZTHB4A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ArlingtonColt
12-18-2008, 06:36 AM
My favorite show is gone again :( I absolutely loved this season.. The beginning was slow, but I loved the interaction with Miguel and Dexter. I'm thinking the series will end when Deb solves a murder case linked to Dexter. She will destroy the evidence, but he will at that point become reformed.... and then the ending scene will be his son killing an animal and Dexter finding him...

stevew
08-26-2009, 01:04 AM
Season 4 starts sept 27. Episode 1 is out there on the net.

Lathum
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Season 4 starts sept 27. Episode 1 is out there on the net.

time to reorder Showtime.

Funny little story. After last season we canceled Showtime the next day. I was just chatting with the operator while she was pulling up my account and she says " let me guess, you watch Dexter?" Apparently they have a huge number of cancellations right after the season finale airs.

Alan T
08-26-2009, 11:28 AM
time to reorder Showtime.

Funny little story. After last season we canceled Showtime the next day. I was just chatting with the operator while she was pulling up my account and she says " let me guess, you watch Dexter?" Apparently they have a huge number of cancellations right after the season finale airs.

That is amazing to me. In my opinion, Showtime's shows are much better than the ones on HBO. I pretty much have at least one of their shows on year round.. Dexter -> Tudors -> Weeds (my wife likes Nurse Jackie, and I've been trying to figure out if I like Californication or not).

Bad-example
08-26-2009, 12:06 PM
I expect Jon Lithgow is going to be great on Dexter this season. I still wonder if Jimmy Smits will appear in Dexter's mind like his father does.

kingnebwsu
08-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Dexter is awesome. Probably not getting Showtime this season, but I'll try to get it next fall before Season 5 starts.

spleen1015
09-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I gotta say, I wasn't sure about the show after watching a couple of the episodes in S1, but I'm really enjoying it now. I really like the story line in S2.

I really like the story with Dexter and Doakes. I just watched the episode where Dexter headbutts him and Doakes beats him up in front of everyone and Maria takes his badge. Good stuff.

stevew
09-28-2009, 12:21 AM
bumpage-

Please kill rita

Lathum
09-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Quality as always.

And Rita is hot.

DaddyTorgo
09-28-2009, 07:09 AM
i just watched my first episode of this last night on the recommendation of folks here. thought it was okay. i'd definately go back and try to watch the past episodes to try to catch myself up to speed, but it was decent.

INDalltheway
09-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Got the Dexter bug.. Watched whole season 3 and the first episode of the new season in the past week..

spleen1015
10-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I am 4 episodes into Season 3.

Is it me or has Rita gotten hotter season to season? She's looking NICE!

Bad-example
10-26-2009, 04:18 PM
This season is not quite as good. Jon Lithgow has not been as great as I had hoped, but then they really haven't given him much to work with. Also, I thought it was too huge a coincidence that Lithgow has a trail of murders all over the country but has his home right there in Miami. How convenient.

Deb is still annoying and the more screen time she gets the weaker the episode.

Sad that Miguel Prado didn't return as a mental ghost like Dexter's dad.

stevew
11-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Starting to wonder if trinity is maybe more than just a cycle of three. The casket bit leads me to think Dexter has severly underestimated him.

And the bit with Dex killing the apparent innocent should be good. I was wondering how they were going to stretch the season out. Trinity was revealed far too quickly IMO.

Eaglesfan27
11-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Starting to wonder if trinity is maybe more than just a cycle of three. The casket bit leads me to think Dexter has severly underestimated him.

And the bit with Dex killing the apparent innocent should be good. I was wondering how they were going to stretch the season out. Trinity was revealed far too quickly IMO.

Agreed on both accounts. I think Trinity has a big surprise in store and I think it will be great to see how Dexter reacts to having killed an innocent, although I was sure that was where they were going with it when he was doing it.

Bad-example
11-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Three episodes left. Things are getting more interesting.

The love story with Batista and LaGuerta has been boring as hell. Looks like they are setting up one of them to die this year. LaGuerta?

Great ending this week.

stevew
11-23-2009, 12:05 AM
yeah, didn't see that coming. Although it was fairly obvious she was the shooter.

mauchow
11-23-2009, 07:41 AM
The love story between Batista and LaGuerta is one of the worst things I've ever watched on television. Too bad Batista didn't stay with that woman cop from the end of last season. Because of this triangle it has also caused some of the worst dialogue of the series. More often than not I'm cringing at a lot of the dialogue from everybody. It's like the show got cocky and decided to say whatever the fuck came to mind for each character. In previous seasons everyone was really saying something that was meaningful or something I didn't mind hearing.

I wish I could site examples but I would need to go back and rewatch the episodes, and maybe I will down the road and then I will come back to this post and update at least 20 quotes that are just plain bad. Even Dexter seems to talk to himself too much now.

Eaglesfan27
11-24-2009, 10:11 AM
yeah, didn't see that coming. Although it was fairly obvious she was the shooter.

We just watched this last night. I also thought it was obvious that she was the shooter, but was a bit disappointed with the ending. It was shocking/unexpected, but it seems a bit too contrived and well planned for a guy who is on the threshold of unraveling. I'm very interested in where they go with this. As far as the dialogue, I don't see an issue, but I could do without the Batiste/LaGuerta romance.

stevew
11-24-2009, 07:54 PM
I LOL'd when Lithgow told wonder woman "shut up Cunt!".

Dexter is way too sloppy this year. It is going to take way too big of a leap of faith for him to kill Trinity. His exposure is too much with the family. In the digital age and with so many witnesses he just can't make trinity go away.

My thought right now is that he might be able to get Jonah to kill him.

And I think Dexter is gonna have to take Quinn out. There's no way Quinn is so dumb that he won't be able to put together what Dexter is.

I can't see this going more than 5 years. We should get the long awaited dex/deb showdown at least.

Jughead Spock
11-24-2009, 10:37 PM
I am 4 episodes into Season 3.

Is it me or has Rita gotten hotter season to season? She's looking NICE!

I've noticed that too. She is absolutely smoking this season. I still want her character dead dead dead. :D

stevew
11-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Rewatching season two. MAJOR hole I just noticed. The guy who wrote down the license plate saw the guy getting out in a car. "he looked drunk". They couldn't bring the guy in and have him look at pics? I mean it would be fairly obvious he foild have excluded Doakes on build or skin color.

DeToxRox
11-24-2009, 10:46 PM
I was disappointed by this twist. Since she is the daughter of Trinity, and he had to have known he shot her and Lundy, wouldn't Arthur then know that she has met Dexter and knows who he is?

So now if Arthur knows Dexter is Kyle, it makes no sense he'd let him come into his home and not have killed him with the numerous chances he has had, much like Dexter has had numerous chances to kill him.

Just way too contrived.

Eaglesfan27
11-25-2009, 05:01 PM
I was disappointed by this twist. Since she is the daughter of Trinity, and he had to have known he shot her and Lundy, wouldn't Arthur then know that she has met Dexter and knows who he is?

So now if Arthur knows Dexter is Kyle, it makes no sense he'd let him come into his home and not have killed him with the numerous chances he has had, much like Dexter has had numerous chances to kill him.

Just way too contrived.

Another good point. The more I think about this plot twist, the less I like it. Of course, it could turn out that she shot Deb and Lundy just because she is a sociopath like her father and simply wanted to generate a story for her to cover, but that also would feel contrived.

Travis
11-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Well, saying that Trinity should know who Dexter is because that's his daughter might be stretching it.

I mean, do you keep tabs on everybody your parents come into contact with? Even if Kyle came up in conversation, what about him, save Trinity giving a full physical description, would tip her off to it being Dexter?

I'm not saying I love the twist but I'm willing to give them at least the next episode to go somewhere with it (maybe father and daughter haven't spoken in years and he's only going to see her because he saw her name in the paper, etc). It'll come down to how close the two are and whether Arthur knows who Dexter really is/that he's been lying all along. I'm not quite sure that's going to be the case though.

DeToxRox
11-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Well, saying that Trinity should know who Dexter is because that's his daughter might be stretching it.

I mean, do you keep tabs on everybody your parents come into contact with? Even if Kyle came up in conversation, what about him, save Trinity giving a full physical description, would tip her off to it being Dexter?

I'm not saying I love the twist but I'm willing to give them at least the next episode to go somewhere with it (maybe father and daughter haven't spoken in years and he's only going to see her because he saw her name in the paper, etc). It'll come down to how close the two are and whether Arthur knows who Dexter really is/that he's been lying all along. I'm not quite sure that's going to be the case though.

Valid but it still makes no sense to me someone as calculating and careful as Arthur Miller would let an absolute stranger into his life as much as he has and not think something is fishy.

I have enjoyed this season, but not nearly as much as the prior three. It just seems like the writing is a bit lazy these days, but it's still fun to watch. I just wish it made a little more sense.

Maybe it's just the Shield/Wire fan in me.

Travis
11-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Valid but it still makes no sense to me someone as calculating and careful as Arthur Miller would let an absolute stranger into his life as much as he has and not think something is fishy.

I have enjoyed this season, but not nearly as much as the prior three. It just seems like the writing is a bit lazy these days, but it's still fun to watch. I just wish it made a little more sense.

Maybe it's just the Shield/Wire fan in me.

Well, to be honest I'm seeing a lot of stuff that doesn't seem to make sense for either Arthur or Dexter this season. Makes me miss Doakes :(

stevew
12-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Anyone else seeing Deb having a date in the tub with Arthur?

Bad-example
12-07-2009, 08:54 AM
1 - Why didn't the cops immediately pull the reporter's cell phone records when they found the postcards and figured out she was in contact with 'daddy'?

2 - Based upon Arthur's pattern, which people in Dexter's life match his victim profiles?

a young woman is killed in a bathtub
an older mother of two falls to her death
a father of two is bludgeoned to death
a preteen boy is abducted and entombed in cement

This season has been rather bloodless compared to earlier seasons. It would be a surprise if at least one regular character doesn't get offed in the finale.

stevew
12-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Omg
Is this the finale?

Cody gets abducted
Deb dies in the Tub
Rita(now a mother of two) falls to her death
Dexter bludgeons Arthur?

stevew
12-07-2009, 11:18 AM
That's just a Random guess bit it fits the cycle. Sorta.

DeToxRox
12-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Good ep, should be a fun finale. I just hate how retarded Dexter was made to look though. I know he's concerned for Deb but how couldn't he notice Arthur's huge rapist van two car lengths behind him for however long that drive was?

It's things like this that keep the show from being great in my eyes but obviously many will differ.

Still fun to watch though.

Lathum
12-07-2009, 11:28 PM
I still love this show but they have definitely taken some liberties this season. The whole situation with Quinn is also way to similar to the situation with Doakes.

I don't see them killing a huge character. Deb and Rita are to central to his life and they haven't set anyone else up to buy it, so it would just seem random. I think Lundy was the "main" kill for this season.

stevew
12-08-2009, 12:07 AM
I think a major character has to die. Otherwise there would be no real reason to stretch out the trinity storyline. Dexter has to face a penalty for not killing Arthur despite having a bunch of chances to do so.

The frame job on the trucker was too easy. Really lazy writing there. Hopefully Deb(who other than Doakes is the only cop with a brain) digs deeper and figures out it is a sham.

Eaglesfan27
12-08-2009, 08:00 AM
I think a major character has to die. Otherwise there would be no real reason to stretch out the trinity storyline. Dexter has to face a penalty for not killing Arthur despite having a bunch of chances to do so.

The frame job on the trucker was too easy. Really lazy writing there. Hopefully Deb(who other than Doakes is the only cop with a brain) digs deeper and figures out it is a sham.

I agree with the first paragraph, disagree with the 2nd. Dexter even said to himself that he knew it would only keep him off his trail for a bit. It was never meant to be a permanent decoy, just to last long enough to allow Dexter to dispose of him. I can see it doing that job.

Loved the meeting between Trinity and Dexter at the end of last night. I liked the explanation of why his daughter killed for him as well, but didn't think to tell dad about Dexter. I'm looking forward to the finale on Sunday. My guess is that Rita ends up being killed and Deb has to step up and help him raise the kids.

Alan T
12-08-2009, 08:05 AM
I agree with the first paragraph, disagree with the 2nd. Dexter even said to himself that he knew it would only keep him off his trail for a bit. It was never meant to be a permanent decoy, just to last long enough to allow Dexter to dispose of him. I can see it doing that job.

Loved the meeting between Trinity and Dexter at the end of last night. I liked the explanation of why his daughter killed for him as well, but didn't think to tell dad about Dexter. I'm looking forward to the finale on Sunday. My guess is that Rita ends up being killed and Deb has to step up and help him raise the kids.

I'm hoping if one of the two do die that it is Deb. Both actresses have annoyed me for seasons, but I think Deb has kind of outlived her usefulness on the show. It will spike with next week her finally figuring out who Dexter's mother is and what happened to Dexter as a kid, but then she dies. I think they can stretch Rita's place on the show out longer if they can build on the issues between Dexter and her, with his trying to balance being a father/husband with his inner demons.

Bad-example
12-08-2009, 08:23 AM
My money is on LaGuerta getting killed.

Guessing that Rita and Dexter are heading for divorce. It has been a major theme of the season, Dex realizing that he needs to distance himself to avoid raising a nightmare family like Arthur did. I guess they could kill her off instead but it seems to me they have been pointing toward Dexter voluntarily stepping back from his family.

stevew
12-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Supposedly a yet to be seen character appears. From Rita's twitter. Paul's parents are visiting. So it wouldn't shock me if Rita's first husband maybe tracks her down by following them. And kills her.

Alan T
12-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Supposedly a yet to be seen character appears. From Rita's twitter. Paul's parents are visiting. So it wouldn't shock me if Rita's first husband maybe tracks her down by following them. And kills her.

That along with everything else seems like quite a bunch to fit in to one final show for this season.

I think that would be a possible arc for next season though perhaps?

Lathum
12-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I will actually be really pissed if either Rita or Deb dies. I just think the relationships Dexter has with them are so central to the person he is. They are the only thing that grounds him to the real world as opposed to the Dexter emotionless world.

I would be very surprised if Rita dies, they have focused so much on his not being around this year, I'm not sure him being a single dad really makes things believable.

I can see them killing LaGuerta, just got married, etc...

I just don't think it is necessary to kill a main character off this season ans I think it could really hurt the shows chemistry in the long run.

Travis
12-08-2009, 11:05 AM
I'd be amazed if they kill off Deb, I would bet on her finding out about Dexter's true side being a main story line down the road.

Eaglesfan27
12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I'd be amazed if they kill off Deb, I would put bet on her finding out about Dexter's true side being a main story line down the road.

Same here. I'll be surprised if they don't work that for a few episodes at least.

I think either Rita or Cody gets killed and either one will hurt Dexter much more than he realized it would.

Jughead Spock
12-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I would do a dance if they off LaGuerta. I actually get angry whenever there's a scene with her and Bautista. Bad writing, boring characters, nobody cares.

I'd be happy if Rita gets killed, though I'd miss Julie Benz.

I've always disliked Deb, but can't see them killing her. I'm more in line with thinking she'll 'figure out' Dexter to some degree and that'll set up the next season.

Lathum
12-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I think either Rita or Cody gets killed and either one will hurt Dexter much more than he realized it would.

I just can't see Dexter being a single dad, eventhough his Dad was, som maybe there is something to it.

I dunno about Cody, that would be really messed up.

I could see a situation where Cody gets kidnapped to replace the boy Dexter saved and Dexter rescues him.

Eaglesfan27
12-08-2009, 02:07 PM
I just can't see Dexter being a single dad, eventhough his Dad was, som maybe there is something to it.

I dunno about Cody, that would be really messed up.

I could see a situation where Cody gets kidnapped to replace the boy Dexter saved and Dexter rescues him.

Yeah, Dexter would have a very hard time as a single dad, I'd imagine. Deb would have to step up big time to help him out.

Lathum
12-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah, Dexter would have a very hard time as a single dad, I'd imagine. Deb would have to step up big time to help him out.

To me that changes the whole dynamic of the show.

What would be the point of killing Rita? To show Dexter loves her? To me that isn't the character the writers want to portray Dexter as.

Now they may do it for shock value, but to me that would fundamentaly change the show, and in a bad way.

If a main player goes my money is on Quinn.

Eaglesfan27
12-08-2009, 02:22 PM
To me that changes the whole dynamic of the show.

What would be the point of killing Rita? To show Dexter loves her? To me that isn't the character the writers want to portray Dexter as.

Now they may do it for shock value, but to me that would fundamentaly change the show, and in a bad way.

If a main player goes my money is on Quinn.

I agree with everything you said, except I think they do want to portray the evolution of Dexter. If he never changes, he becomes somewhat boring. I loved seeing him punch that neighbor out last night, and the realization to him of what it meant.

I hope they don't kill Deb or Rita, but I think those would be the 2 most shocking kills besides Cody. I wouldn't mind Quinn or LaGuerta dying.

Lathum
12-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree with everything you said, except I think they do want to portray the evolution of Dexter. If he never changes, he becomes somewhat boring. I loved seeing him punch that neighbor out last night, and the realization to him of what it meant.

I thought that was awesome.

I agree with him evolving, but wouldn't killing Rita kind of nueter that?

stevew
12-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I would do a dance if they off LaGuerta. I actually get angry whenever there's a scene with her and Bautista. Bad writing, boring characters, nobody cares.

I'd be happy if Rita gets killed, though I'd miss Julie Benz.

I've always disliked Deb, but can't see them killing her. I'm more in line with thinking she'll 'figure out' Dexter to some degree and that'll set up the next season.

She is a race baiting whore. I wish they would have killed her in the first season like the book did. She serves no purpose other than to anger me.

Bad-example
12-09-2009, 08:49 AM
After giving some more thought, the idea of killing off Rita does make some sense. Turning Dex into a single father like his dad fits, plus Rita has a mysterious first husband that could appear next year to attempt to claim his children.

I still believe that Dexter getting a divorce is the most consistent move. Dex has come to realize the dangers he presents to his family and must back off to ultimately save them.

stevew
12-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I don't think Rita's first husband was her baby daddy. Now Dexter could have serious custody problems with Paul's parents.

Another thought I had is that Arthur might survive. Dexter might feel that the kill is too risky, especially if there is an extortion complaint filed. As far as Arthur knows, Dexter has no idea he is trinity. Or maybe Arthur has his daughter come forward with a claim of molestation.

stevew
12-14-2009, 02:12 AM
Shit

Good ending.

mauchow
12-14-2009, 07:12 PM
awwwww sheeeeiiiiit!

PurdueBrad
12-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Just finished it on the DVR and I'm speechless. A tremendous ending. Thanks for all the above for not spoiling it but instead for motivating me to get around to watching the episode with your brief comments.

Man, oh, man.

mauchow
12-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Am I the only one annoyed with LaGuerta and Batista held hands as they walked out of the room after the FBI took over?

That was so lame.. who holds hands at work?

edit: annoyed is the wrong word.. but jeez, it's horrible how much screen time their relationship got. I really enjoyed Batista and the stripper/cop lady's relationship; but laguerta and him had the complete opposite effect, straight from the get-go.

Quinn's character really felt like there should have been more to it in the end.. but really, he didn't add much to the show other than his Ray Liotta looks and playing tough guy a few times....... also being trinity's daughter's boyfriend.

stevew
12-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I guess with the way the boat scene was shot I was suspecting that maybe dex was gonna get caught in the act.

Though the Kyle Butler stuff should be interesting if Dex has to explain the activities.

Lathum
12-14-2009, 10:32 PM
boo

good ending but still pretty crazy.

Eaglesfan27
12-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Just finished it on the DVR and I'm speechless. A tremendous ending. Thanks for all the above for not spoiling it but instead for motivating me to get around to watching the episode with your brief comments.

Man, oh, man.

I would never come into this thread between the time I DVR'd it and the time I watched it.

We watched it last night on the DVR. I wish they hadn't advertised a shocking death the week before. I think if they hadn't, the finale would have really surprised me and moved me more. As it was, I still thought it was an excellent ending to the season and I look forward to the many implications and potential story lines for next year.

timmynausea
12-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Pretty good finale and a pretty good season. From an acting and general production stand point, I think the show was always good and has steadily gotten better. I mean, it wasn't all that long ago that shows like the X-Files and Twin Peaks were considered cutting edge cinematography and etc. for TV. I think stylewise Dexter is really awesome, especially for a TV show.

From a writing standpoint, though, it seems a little less inspired than it was, which makes sense. I mean, this is the third season in a row that they've gone with the "introduce major guest star that Dexter will kill at the end of the season" formula (may as well be known as the Tony Soprano method.) Plus Quinn was very likely introduced with the intent of eventually becoming the next Doakes, which looks pretty formulaic as well. Somewhere in there, they started getting sloppy with it, and reading through this thread, it seems that more and more people are seeing some of the cracks.

Travis
12-15-2009, 11:40 AM
I guess I'm one of the few that is disappointed? The entire finale (and a lot of the season) smacked of convenience to me (in terms of the writing).

I mean, as mentioned above, how does Batista not at least somewhat recognize the picture of Arthur after being inches from him not all that long before? How does Arthur get free reign to wander into an investigation room?

Rita forgetting her ID when heading to the airport? And why doesn't Dexter notice her vehicle when he comes home (or if she had taken a cab, why wouldn't the driver have noticed something amiss assuming she'd have him wait as she was just running in to get her purse)?

Why does nobody notice somebody following them? Especially Arthur after his confrontation with Dexter in the police station, who then see's Dexter in the parking lot as he's leaving?

Where did Dexter park when he went to pay Arthur's family a visit? How did Deb (or anybody else who knows Dexter) not notice his vehicle? Is anybody really buying him beating SWAT into the garage? And to be honest, why didn't they just have Dexter leave the house prior to SWAT arriving, maybe having Dexter see the vehicles heading that way a few blocks away and realizing how lucky he was to have gotten out of there just in time?

And I may have just missed it, but how did Arthur end up finding Rita? Obviously he went to Dexter's old place only to find mail for Deb, but how was he so sure that this place was Dexter's? I don't have a recording for it so can't double check when Arthur pulled up the list of addresses, but given how compressed his time frame was to get to the house (another amazing coincidence that the small window Arthur had was the exact time Rita showed up to get her ID). Wouldn't the house still be listed under Rita's name anyway? Or did I miss another "follow somebody who'll never notice you're there" scene and glaze over how he'd have uncovered Dexter's residence?

I really wanted to like the finale, but it left me feeling a lot like season 3 of BSG did. I'm hoping they can bounce back and I'm considering rewatching the finale to see if I can find clue's that will answer some of my questions, but as of right now, yeah, not pleased.

Double so when I read an article today and the Rita kill off was essentially done just so they'd have a surprise. I guess I had hoped that they'd have a bit more foresight storyline wise and reading this makes me think that the ramifications of killing her off may not have been fully thought through (so far as how they'll have to approach things next season). Could be a quick fix that really comes back to bite them in the ass.

'Dexter' finale postmortem: Find out why they [spoiler alert]! | Ausiello | EW.com (http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/12/13/dexter-season-5-finale-postmortem/)

DeToxRox
12-15-2009, 05:53 PM
I hope the ending was a dream. Dexter sure has a lot to explain.

Didn't Batista see Trinity talking to Dexter at the police station? I am surprise Batista did not say anything when the they reveal the picture of Trinity.

If the ending was a dream I will be done with this show. You cannot cop out like that.

Decent finale but I am with Travis, pretty underwhelming.

kingnebwsu
12-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Just watched the season finale. I was actually kind of sad for Dexter. It's weird, because I'm not normally like that about TV shows...but I actually felt sorry for Dexter's character. Weird.

Anyway, I thought this was the best season since season one. I'd rank the seasons (from best to worst) as 1,4,2,3. I think you have to just suspend disbelief on this one. I dunno. Travis definitely brought up many good points. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Like, they're talking to Trinity's family in the station and they point to a picture of Dexter and they say "your husband killed his wife today!" Then they look at each other and say "That's Kyle."

Again, that would probably never happen...but just another "inconsistency" that could happen.

I really enjoyed this season and John Lithgow was an excellent choice for Trinity. Sad there will be no more Dexter for 8 months :(

Favorite line of the season?

"Shut up cunt."

Hilarious :p

Grammaticus
12-20-2009, 02:46 PM
I thought it would have been a good story line for Rita to catch Dexter, he comes clean with his entire story and she accepts him and helps provide cover for him in the future.

Oh well.

stevew
12-21-2009, 07:42 PM
I think 4 was the weakest season by far. 1 had the best story IMO. I prefer 3 to 2 merely cause Smits was amazing.

Of course a weak season of Dexter is still way better than almost every other show out there.

Jughead Spock
12-21-2009, 07:47 PM
^I agree with every letter of this post. Apart from the typo

gkb
07-12-2010, 12:16 PM
I just finished up watching all of season four over the weekend. I thought it was solid and I'm really looking forward to season five. A lot of posters above raise really good points about inconsistencies and what's going to happen next. I vaguely remember being annoyed by Deb during the first two seasons, but I thought she was much more likable in season four. And damn, she's got some cut up abs.

I didn't know they had teased that the finale would have a major character dying so Rita's death was a shock. I can't see how Dexter can pull off the single-dad routine, not with the hours he "works".

I never watched season three - I'm going to have to check that one out.

Lathum
07-12-2010, 12:35 PM
IMO Season 3 is the worst, but still awesome.

I just started reading the book the show was based on, it so far follows the season 1 story line pretty closely.

stevew
07-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Season 5 starts on Sept 26. that's only 2 months from now basically!!!

And the fucks at showtime decided to move Californication to January this year. Way to try to get me to have Showtime for more than 3 months of the year.

stevew
07-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Trailer for season 5

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CUbCMbW-BRE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CUbCMbW-BRE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Eaglesfan27
07-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Cool. I can't wait.

Kodos
07-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Might have to sign up for Showtime just to get this. (We finally caught up after last season.)

Bad-example
08-02-2010, 08:07 PM
The wiki had some stuff about the coming season (Sept 26)...a little spoiler-ish.

Showtime has renewed Dexter for a fifth season, which is set to premiere September 26, 2010. Julia Stiles will guest star in 10 episodes as a new woman in Dexter's life. Shawn Hatosy will appear in a multiple episode arc as a "bad guy". Maria Doyle Kennedy will also join the cast of Dexter in Season 5 as an Irish nanny. April Lee Hernandez has been called for a recurring role as a police officer. Jonny Lee Miller has been added to the cast, and will have something to do with Julia Stiles' character. Also Peter Weller will join the cast and he will be playing "a troubled Miami Metro police officer who gets caught up in an internal affairs investigation." The actor will appear in eight of the twelve episodes.

On July 24, 2010, at Comic-Con, an annual fan convention in San Diego, California, a trailer was debuted that showed some of what to expect from Dexter in Season 5. He appears to be a principal suspect in Rita's murder, struggles to satisfy the Dark Passenger while being a single father, and must also contend with a very bitter Astor.

jeff061
08-02-2010, 08:19 PM
My mom had Dexter recommended to her recently(not by me). So this should be interesting. She'll be starting season 1 shortly.

Kodos
08-17-2010, 03:27 PM
DirecTV is offering $25 if you order the Showtime unlimited package right now. The package is $11.01 per month right now, so you're in effect getting a little over 2 months free. We signed up so we can watch the upcoming season of Dexter, and will likely cancel once the season is over.

MrDNA
09-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Just watched that trailer and I have to say, I am not really excited for the upcoming season. As Travis said, Quinn=Doakes and this season is looking like family drama and past mistakes coming how to roost rather than cool, fresh stuff.

I'll still watch it, of course... ;)

stevew
09-24-2010, 10:01 PM
I think Quinn will be closer to another Smits than another Doakes.

Eaglesfan27
09-26-2010, 08:59 PM
I thought tonight's episode was amazing.

Bad-example
09-26-2010, 09:09 PM

I'll go +1 on that.

Bigsmooth
09-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Was that the Season 6 Premiere?

Eaglesfan27
09-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Was that the Season 6 Premiere?

Season 5 Premiere.

Lathum
09-27-2010, 12:18 AM

+1 powerful stuff

stevew
09-27-2010, 12:20 AM
I dunno why I was less than impressed. Maybe I need to rewatch.

Eaglesfan27
10-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Tonight's episode had so many great moments. Best show on TV.

stevew
10-03-2010, 09:58 PM
I dunno why I feel differently. My bro and I were talking about how it seems to have badly jumped the shark. How many f'n serial murderers live in Miami Dade? It is starting to get too repetitive. Maybe it will get better for me. I hope so. And the Bautista/LaGuerda stuff is tiresome. Let them run off in the sunset. Their story here is done.

Eaglesfan27
10-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I agree the Bautista/LaGuerda stuff is annoying. But, I thought the scenes between Dexter and Astor were incredible. Some very moving scenes for me tonight.

stevew
10-04-2010, 08:37 PM
My new running theory is that the animal guy is actually an alt personality of Dex. Like a Tyler Durden. All this talk of Rita being his last link to humanity is now revealing his alt personalities that were suppressed. Probably wrong though.

Bigsmooth
10-06-2010, 12:35 AM
My new running theory is that the animal guy is actually an alt personality of Dex. Like a Tyler Durden. All this talk of Rita being his last link to humanity is now revealing his alt personalities that were suppressed. Probably wrong though.

Shit man. That just blew my mind. Would be a very interesting angle.

jeff061
10-18-2010, 07:48 PM
While I like this show, I was never a huge fan. This season is shaping up to easily be the best yet though. Really enjoying it. There just always seemed to be too many "eye roll" moments, but I think the writing this season has been much better so far.

I agree the Bautista/LaGuerda stuff is annoying. But, I thought the scenes between Dexter and Astor were incredible. Some very moving scenes for me tonight.

I kind of agree. The romances in the first 2 or 3 seasons were just so god awfully horrible, this just pales in comparison.

stevew
10-19-2010, 12:07 AM
I still am not a fan. Seems to be equal story line parts of season 2 and 3. With a few new ideas mixed in.

jeff061
10-25-2010, 08:33 PM
You know, I've always had a thing for Julia Stiles. But that woman just gets hotter and hotter.

Eaglesfan27
10-25-2010, 08:42 PM
You know, I've always had a thing for Julia Stiles. But that woman just gets hotter and hotter.

Yes, she does. Always one of my favorites.

stevew
10-25-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm hoping Quinn's old cop friend kills LaGuerta. This episode redeemed the season for me.

jeff061
11-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Shit a brick and fuck me with it

I don't think Deb's ever going to top that one.

Jas_lov
11-20-2010, 08:16 PM
This season is probably the worst of the 5, but last week's episode was the best of the season so hopefully that means it's picking up. I haven't liked Julia Stiles much, but she was good last episode when she watched Dexter kill Cole. Also, Laguerta screwing over Deb finally makes the side story somewhat interesting.

jeff061
11-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I still think this season is easily best of the 5 :). I liked the other seasons enough to watch, but there were just so many "eyeroll" moments that killed a lot of it for me. Beyond Laguerta and Angel on occasion I haven't really gotten that vibe for once.

And Julia Stiles.

Bad-example
11-23-2010, 08:32 PM
So, who's gonna die?

Lumen
Robocop
LaGuerta
The Babysitter

jeff061
11-23-2010, 08:51 PM
I stumbled across the IMDB credits in week 2 and noticed one of the characters were only credited for ten episodes. Still kicking myself. So I won't spoil.

chadritt
11-23-2010, 08:58 PM
I stumbled across the IMDB credits in week 2 and noticed one of the characters were only credited for ten episodes. Still kicking myself. So I won't spoil.

That stuff doesnt mean all that much usually. Ive definitely been credited for episodes of shows I didnt work on and not credited for shows I did. IMDB is not 100% reliable when it gets that specific.

ETA: According to IMDB Julia Styles is done so I really wouldnt trust these entries so much it ruins your viewing experience.

molson
11-27-2010, 06:07 PM
I just finished season 4 - I started the series sometime after season 4 actually aired, and wasn't able to catchup in time to watch season 5 on showtime. It doesn't look like I have any (legal) options to catchup now, unless Showtime re-reruns season 5 episodes at some point (it looks like the only go a few back at the moment).

Loved season 4, despite the warts. It was fun just now reading all predictions and thoughts here throughout that season.

I did just see the trailer for season 5 - I'm not convinced Dexter didn't off Rita (without being consciously aware of it), after his father was talking to him about "freeing his family" towards the end of season 4.

If anybody knows of any legal season 5 viewing options for the start of the season, I'd love a pm - obviously I can't come back here and be spoiled.

-apoc-
11-29-2010, 12:31 AM
I am really enjoying this season so far much more than the last two. That being said I am not sure how I feel about the ending of tonight's episode. I guess the last two episodes will decide that.

stevew
12-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Thoughts on the final?

I think maybe the whole thing is way too easy, and maybe they are more interested in seeing seasons 6 and 7 rather than pursuing a good ending.

Anyways, Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter are getting divorced, which should be a even weirder dynamic.

jeff061
12-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah, pretty basic ending. I didn't think it was bad. Just not memorable.

Travis
12-14-2010, 02:17 PM
I had hoped this season would revive my interest in the show, but hole after hole and convenience after convenience as far as the writing is concerned has overridden the quality acting they get every season (pretty much all their main villains have done fantastic jobs).

This finale just had me eye rolling entirely too often to take seriously and while I may soften my stance by the time next season starts, well, imho it's really sad how far the show has fallen compared to the first few seasons.

Alan T
12-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Anyways, Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter are getting divorced, which should be a even weirder dynamic.

I hadn't heard that yet. He's had a rough go of it lately... Cancer, Divorce... no wonder he ended up a serial killer.

Bad-example
12-16-2010, 10:10 AM
I really didn't care for Peter Weller's character and am glad he's gone for good. Not his best work. Lumen surviving qualifies as a big surprise in my book. LaGuerta continues to draw breath and the suffering of the viewers continues.

A solid season. Still one of the best shows going.

jeff061
12-16-2010, 10:37 AM
During the first few seasons I disliked most the characters for the same reasons as LaGuerta. Really detracted from the show for me. Over the last couple this has gotten much better and I've enjoyed the show far more because of it.

molson
01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
I just caught up with season 5, and have thus finished off the entire series in about 6 months.

Season 5 was a less careful about plot holes and suspension of disbelief, and I can forgive that.

The season 4 ending really wasn't the game-changer for the series it felt like at the time. That last episode of season 4, and the first episode of 5 (and the season 5 trailer) made it appear this would be a season-long public suspicion of Dexter, who was going to an even darker place with the death of his wife. It was kind of disappointing they didn't go that way.

I don't think Julia Styles is a good actress at all. I think another actress could have absolutely killed that role. Maybe they were just foccused on getting the biggest name possible.

But the good for me, was very good. There was a tension build throughout the season, and I thought the last 3 episodes were some of the best of series. I was so wrapped up in things I actually bought into every tease of Dexter being revealed/caught. But then, all of that rising tension came to a crashing halt in the climax of the season - Deb catching up to Dexter and Styles but letting them go, and not even getting a look at them. It was then that I realized that this was just going to be another self-contained season, and that we'd kick of season 6 basically with everything back to normal. Which is kind of dissapointment. (I don't know if there would have been a good way to actually go through with a Deb reveal going forward, but it would have blown me away in a good way if they tried.)

The Quinn stuff was wrapped up too tidely for my liking too. So he knows Dexter's a murderer. I guess that creates tension going forward but I don't buy his reasons for keeping quiet at all (And it's odd that Dexter didn't seem all that concerned about it.)

It seems like at the end of the day, for me, they pushed some envelopes that were legitimately exciting, but in doing so they wrote themselves into a corner and really had to be a little ridiculous to get everything back to the status quo. Disappointing for a show that feels like it should be taking risks. I mean, a show about a likeable serial killer playing it safe? Meh.

Still can't wait for next season though.

Lathum
01-08-2011, 12:03 AM
This is still my favorite show but this season just didn't deliver like other season had. When I think back to the first 3 seasons and just how solid they were I long for that, I may need to watch season 2 next week. That was IMO the best.

hoopsguy
04-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Just got done watching the first two seasons of this on Netflix instant - blew through them in about a week. Going to be a much slower grind getting through the rest now that I have to wait for the disks to arrive in the mail, but I certainly will be doing so over the next couple of months.

I thought Season 2 was significantly better than Season 1, and Season 1 was pretty darn good. But Season 2 was much more unpredictable to me in terms of the "next shoe to drop" and I thought that the characters remained true to themselves while taking different directions. If this was where the show diverted from the book then the (show) writers should be really proud of themselves for what they were able to craft.

Lathum
04-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Season 2 was amazing, just awesome stuff.

Matthean
07-24-2011, 04:07 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FcQT5kEb2ws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RsvGslI_KcM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

molson
07-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Certainly not as compelling as last season's teasers, but maybe it will be good for the show to get back to the basics.

Grammaticus
07-24-2011, 10:29 PM
I hope so, last season was pretty much the worst one so far.

stevew
09-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Can't wait for Sunday.

RainMaker
09-28-2011, 07:34 PM
I got through all 5 seasons this summer and realized I get Showtime although I don't pay for it. So I've got this on the DVR along with the Homeland show after.

Did not like last season as much as the others. Hoping this one gets back to basics as well.

stevew
10-02-2011, 01:45 PM
http://www.sho.com/site/order/rebateform.do?offertype=national&offerid=1005000000000115&KeepThis=true

molson
10-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Showtime Official Site :: Special Offer on Showtime! Order Now & You Can Get $25 Cash Back! (http://www.sho.com/site/order/rebateform.do?offertype=national&offerid=1005000000000115&KeepThis=true)

Slightly off-topic but it does seem movie channels are getting a lot cheaper and desperate. With Dexter on the way, I've re-signed up for Showtime, which included Starz, and TMC, and Encore, which is something like 30 channels and on-demand stuff. I wonder if I could be organized enough to harness what's there to replace Netflix (or cut Netflix to 1-DVD out at a time).

stevew
10-02-2011, 02:31 PM
I got SHO, HBO and Skinimax for 19.99/month

Lathum
10-02-2011, 06:44 PM
so fucking excited!

DaddyTorgo
10-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Great time for my TV's audio to decide to finally break once and for all (and stupid me for not getting it fixed the second it started acting up), so I can't watch tonight. And of course Showtime is the last premium network not to stream their stuff online for subscribers. Fuck them with a rusty pitchfork.

Jas_lov
10-13-2011, 10:22 PM
The first two episodes have been ok. I like Mos Def's character and Masuka's intern. The worst scenes have been with the 2 main villians- Edward James Olmos and that other kid. If Deb and Quinn don't get back together it should be a good season.

stevew
10-13-2011, 10:42 PM
They should have resolved this show last season. All I'm hoping for now is a good reveal arc with Deb, and LaGuerta on Dex's table(and the sooner the fucking better).

Bad-example
10-14-2011, 04:00 AM
It's pretty obvious the character Edward James Olmos portrays is imaginary, right? Same as Dexter's dad?

Johnny93g
10-14-2011, 11:04 AM
It's pretty obvious the character Edward James Olmos portrays is imaginary, right? Same as Dexter's dad?

Did we not see him sitting in a driver's seat of a car? Also, he didn't know where Hanks was when Hanks visited his sister. That has to suggest reality, right?

RainMaker
10-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the show has gotten bad? I loved the first few seasons but just not feeling it anymore. Rita was annoying near the end but she was one of the only real characters on the show.

Travis
10-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the show has gotten bad? I loved the first few seasons but just not feeling it anymore. Rita was annoying near the end but she was one of the only real characters on the show.

The writing isn't nearly as tight as it was the first few seasons but they continue to hit home runs when it comes to casting/performances and it's helped them get by. I'm hoping the writing comes back around and/or they stop trying to prolong the show and hit the remaining "major" storylines (ie: Debra finding out).

I do wonder if we'll ever even hear mention of the other kids this season or if they've essentially disappeared forever.

molson
10-14-2011, 11:11 PM
The dialogue sounds a bit like Dexter fans writing Dexter dialogue, but I'm not worried yet.

RainMaker
10-15-2011, 04:18 AM
My problem is that outside of Dexter, all the other characters (and actors to an extent are bad). They are all incredibly one dimensional and unfortunately, I don't give a shit about any of them. I don't care about LaGuerta's issues with her boss. Batista doesn't really seem to fit into anything and sort of just bounces around like a useless character. Deb has just repeated her same lines for 5 seasons now.

Rita wasn't my favorite, but she was at least somewhat complex. They did try and turn her into a generic nagging wife after the 1st season (in which she was an incredible character). But unless the show has an incredible actor playing the villian now like Jon Lithgow, it's just turning re-hashing the same storyline with the same characters acting the same way.

Landshark44
10-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm not really liking this season as much as the others. Plot seems to be forcing the whole religion angle, and everything just seems totally contrived. You guys liking it?

DaddyTorgo
10-24-2011, 09:19 PM
My problem is that outside of Dexter, all the other characters (and actors to an extent are bad). They are all incredibly one dimensional and unfortunately, I don't give a shit about any of them. I don't care about LaGuerta's issues with her boss. Batista doesn't really seem to fit into anything and sort of just bounces around like a useless character. Deb has just repeated her same lines for 5 seasons now.

Rita wasn't my favorite, but she was at least somewhat complex. They did try and turn her into a generic nagging wife after the 1st season (in which she was an incredible character). But unless the show has an incredible actor playing the villian now like Jon Lithgow, it's just turning re-hashing the same storyline with the same characters acting the same way.

This is pretty much how I'm feeling these days. I don't give a shit about any of the other characters, and honestly...I'm starting to give less of a shit about Dexter and kind of secretly eagerly awaiting the finale where he presumably gets caught by the department.

Schmidty
10-24-2011, 10:12 PM
I think this season's been very entertaining so far, but I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to shows that are at least halfway decent.

stevew
10-24-2011, 10:34 PM
I like the Mos Def character quite a bit. Colin Hanks and Stand & Deliver are a horrible team and I hope their storyline resolves quickly. I think they are maybe alluding to Dex and Deb hooking up, although I'm probably reading too much into it.

Johnny93g
10-24-2011, 11:58 PM
I think they are maybe alluding to Dex and Deb hooking up, although I'm probably reading too much into it.

Wait, what!! You mean like hooking up together? I don't see that at all. I'm thinking Deb is gonna start banging the chicago cop.

korme
10-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Quinn and Batista getting high was maybe the funniest segment in Dexter's six season history

stevew
10-25-2011, 01:16 AM
I think the Chicago cop is gay.

stevew
11-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Didn't see that coming.

stevew
11-21-2011, 08:02 PM
So....is Gellar real? I think that he probably is, but I could also see Travis having a split personality. As far as being chained up, that could easily be explained away. This season is growing on me. Was interesting that they brought back Rudy/Brian/itk for an episode.

Johnny93g
11-21-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm in the Gellar is dead and Colin Hanks is batshit crazy boat.

DaddyTorgo
11-21-2011, 09:33 PM
I don't see how Gellar isn't alive.