PDA

View Full Version : Early 2007 Big Board

Subby
10-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Defense dominating Top 25 Big Board
By Mel Kiper Jr.
Special to ESPN.com

There are no newcomers this week on the Big Board, but plenty of changes everywhere except the top where Brady Quinn and Joe Thomas still reign supreme.

1. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame (6-3½, 225) | previous: Same
Poised, smart and at his best in pressure situations. After a comeback against Michigan State, Quinn had solid outings against Purdue and Stanford.

2. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-6½, 313) | previous: Same
Huge, quick and athletic with a long wingspan.

3. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4½, 260) | previous: Same
Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness.

4. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193) | previous: same
Tough customer who also shows very good anticipation and awareness in coverage.

5. Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio St. (6-3, 297) | previous: 8
Run-stuffing dynamo who does a great job of clogging the interior.

6. Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame (6-4½, 215) | previous: 9
Super hands and concentration with outstanding speed-to-size ratio.

7. LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-1½, 205) | previous: 10
Four-year starter who has proven to be Mr. Reliable throughout his career.

8. Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia (6-4, 254) | previous: 5
Mature, hard working and explosive off the edge.

9. Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. (6-4½, 325) | previous: 6
Steady and reliable at protecting the quarterback's blind side.

10. Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame (6-4, 270) | previous rank: 12
He has really stepped up as a big-time pass rusher this season. Abiamiri also is one of the more durable and battle-tested ends in the country.

11. Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn (5-10½, 199) | previous: 7
Deceptively strong with great vision and balance. Another chance to shine this week against Florida's defense.

12. Marcus Thomas, DT, Florida (6-2½, 288) | previous rank: 14
Thomas neutralizes the double team and plays with power.

13. Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame (5-11½, 212) | previous: Same
An aggressive ball hawk who brings a swagger to the Irish's defense. A true play-maker who also excels as a punt returner.

14. DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler, DT, NC State (6-2¼, 310) | previous: 15
Extremely quick and very powerful. A player on the rise, Taylor was a one-man wrecking crew against Boston College.

15. Ryan Harris, OT, Notre Dame (6-4½, 297) | previous: 16
Light on his feet with a defensive mentality. Harris neutralizes quick outside pass rushers.

16. Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno St. (6-0½, 200) | previous: 11
He has the size and speed (4.33 40-yard dash) with outstanding coverage technique.

17. Daymeion Hughes, CB, California (6-0, 187) | previous: same
Big-play cornerback for the Golden Bears. Finished strong in 2005 and it has carried over to this season. Hughes has five INT in five games.

18. David Harris, LB, Michigan (6-2, 240) | previous: Same
Fast, strong and very productive, Harris has been one of the elite defensive players in the Big Ten this season.

19. Aaron Rouse, S, Virginia Tech (6-4, 218) | previous: same
Incredible physical specimen with rare computer numbers.

20. Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi (6-2, 235) | previous: 21
Tackling machine with great football sense and diagnostic ability.

21. Brian Leonard, Rutgers, (6-1, 239) | previous: 20
He will present the NFL with a tremendous amount of versatility, either as a traditional fullback or he could operate as an H-Back.

22. Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska (6-6, 298) | previous: Same
You just don't see many defensive ends carrying 300 pounds who can move as well as Carriker.

23. Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn St. (6-1½, 235) | previous: Same
A productive and consistent player who studies and prepares as thoroughly as anybody.

24. Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee (6-4 ¼, 302) | previous: Same
Prior to going down with a season-ending injury (torn biceps), Harrell was performing at the level you would expect from a first-round draft pick.

25. Michael Bush, RB, Louisville (6-2, 250) | previous: Same
He carried a first-round grade before breaking his leg in the first game of the season. If his rehabilitation goes well, Bush will be an intriguing prospect for next April's draft.

Dropped

Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan St. (6-3, 232) | previous:22
Desire to win is unmatched. Stanton brings every intangible you want at the QB position, but did not looked solid in losses to Notre Dame and Ilinois.

Kyle Young, C, Fresno State (6-5, 339) | previous: 23
Experienced anchor on the Bulldogs offensive line. Great physical skills and extremely durable.

Izulde
10-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Brady Quinn in a Dolphins uniform. Let it come to pass.

MrBigglesworth
10-25-2006, 10:01 PM
How were the people at 22 and 23 previously the same, but the people that dropped out were previously at 22 and 23?

I hope that Posluszny rises, he has been playing much better lately after looking slow to start the season, and I feel bad for him getting hurt in the Orange Bowl last season.

DaddyTorgo
10-25-2006, 10:05 PM
seems like it's VERY Notre Dame heavy

DeToxRox
10-25-2006, 10:07 PM
I refuse to believe LaMarr Woodley of Michigan is not on that big board. He's been the best player on the best defense in the Nation and he's physically a freak (6'2", 260 lbs with speed)

cthomer5000
10-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Brian Leonard has certainly shown he's got the blocking skillz needed to be a fullback at the next level. I think he's really going to work out very well, and I'd love to see him end up on one of the New York teams.

Cuckoo
10-25-2006, 10:20 PM
I think I've heard it's a pretty poor senior class overall. Might be a big year for juniors to come out.

mrsimperless
10-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Yes, holy golden domes! According to this they'll be national champs for sure!

Oh and aren't all of these domers on the board Willingham guys?? If so he deserves more recruiting credit than he was given. Unless you want to argue that Weis caused them to develop into pros over the past 2 years.

vex
10-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Is this list just seniors?

Swaggs
10-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Must just be seniors.

If it included underclassmen likely to declare, it would definitely have Calvin Johnson, Brian Brohm, and Adrian Peterson, in my opinion.

st.cronin
10-26-2006, 12:08 AM
speed to size ratio? What does that mean?

Mr. Wednesday
10-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Yes, holy golden domes! According to this they'll be national champs for sure!

Oh and aren't all of these domers on the board Willingham guys?? If so he deserves more recruiting credit than he was given. Unless you want to argue that Weis caused them to develop into pros over the past 2 years.

a) He didn't recruit Quinn, Ndukwe's brother recruited Quinn

b) He started out better, it's the class after this one where things really get sparse. There aren't a lot of juniors with big roles on this team (and, offhand, those that there are, are mostly in areas of weakness).

Mr. Wednesday
10-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Dola, it's not going to get ND a national championship, because there are a lot of holes where the guys who aren't on the draft board play (most notably, the offensive line has been a disappointment and the LB and secondary play are spotty).

Mr. Wednesday
10-26-2006, 12:17 AM
Double dola, and, not being an expert, that sure does seem like a lot of first-rounders for a team that's solidly top 15 but skating around the edge of top 10.

mrsimperless
10-26-2006, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I didn't literally mean I thought they would be Nat Champs. Personally I think they're overrated, although I'm a fan of the team.

I just find it odd that there are so many of them on the board.

bhlloy
10-26-2006, 02:06 AM
Extremely Notre Dame heavy... that can't be right surely? Mel doesn't seem very keen on West Coast teams either.

I know one thing for sure... unless Jeff Samardzija commits to dropping baseball (and I'd imagine it will take him promising to insert a clause in his contract) he's not going anywhere near number 6, even with a "great speed to size ratio". Especially with Dwayne Jarrett and Calvin Johnson almost locks to come out... he'd be pretty lucky to see the top 15 IMO. I also think Zbikowski is horribly overrated, he's got beaten badly a couple of times in the ND games I've seen. Posluzny should be way higher as well... is Mel a big Irish fan or something?

SackAttack
10-26-2006, 02:12 AM
Isn't Zbikowski the former Golden Gloves winner?

Seems weird that two of the Notre Dame football stars are also fairly prominent in other sports.

BishopMVP
10-26-2006, 03:09 AM
Abiamiri and maybe Harris are the only ND players close to their respective rankings. Zbikowski is the homeless man's version of Roy Williams (big hitter, good in run support, can't provide deep help), so unless you're running a modified 46 that keeps the SS close to the line as an extra linebacker, you don't want Zbikowski as a safety in the NFL. Samardzija, given the huge contract he got for baseball, might be required to put baseball first, at least for a few years - either way, he's not Top 10. Then there is Brady Quinn. Yes, Charlie Weis has done an amazing job helping him improve from his Sophomore year, but he's still not a great quarterback. He throws a high percentage of balls at receivers feet or behind them, forcing them to adjust and make a great catch (Of course, I say the same about Eli and Plaxico, so maybe Quinn can go #1!). Luckily, Samardzija in particular excels at this, so he can get away with it, until he faces a good defense that pressures him (Ohio St. last year, GT/Mich this year.) Guess which one will be more prominent in the NFL.

As for Willingham's recruitment, the fact that we might have 5 of the top 15 Seniors in the country and no depth around them merely underscores the accusation. It's a shame that such a flawed ND team is almost guaranteed to make a BCS game, and has an outside chance of playing for the title.

Oh, and I'm also shocked Woodley is nowhere to be found. He seems perfect as one of those 3-4 rush outside linebackers.

Eaglesfan27
10-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Is this list just seniors?

Yes. Most "draft experts" won't rate underclassmen on their board until they declare after the season.

Kodos
10-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Brady Quinn in a Dolphins uniform. Let it come to pass.

God no.

General Mike
10-26-2006, 09:32 AM
speed to size ratio? What does that mean?

A DE who is 6'5, 300 lbs, with a 7' wingspan and runs a 4.7 40 is more valuable than a DE who is 6'1, 255, with a 6'6" wingspan and runs a 4.6 40.

scooper
10-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Another Domer homer chiming in....Wow, this is generous. All of these guys are first day guys...but come on.

Quinn...I will disagree with Bishop. I don't think he's overrated. He lacks some consistency but more often than not is on the money. When he's on, he can make throws that many QB's can't. His weakness does seem to be hitting guys moving laterally in intermediate routes. Throwing downfield, he is money, especially in the seams to a TE.

Samardjiza-He's a legit first round WR, but probably late first round. He's faster than some people seem to think and has good leaping ability and hands. But it seems it took him awhile to get into rhythm this year....I blame that evil sport with sticks, gloves and chewing tobacco.

Abiamiri- I'm glad somebody ranks him highly. I think more will as the draft nears. This kid may break the school record for most times held without a flag being thrown. Could have something to do with having Big 10 refs for their first 5 games. He puts up good numbers in spite of having no help along the front seven. On a better defense, this kid would get a lot of hype.

Zibikowski- His coverage issues have been well documented. But he's fast and can hit like a truck. Late first at best. Probably a second rounder.

Harris-I don't think he has the size or strength to be considered a first round tackle prospect. He'd be good in a blocking scheme that values footwork and athleticism, ala Denver. But his upside is limited to those teams. Teams looking for a mauler should look elsewhere. He can move and is very good in pass protection....but not dominant enough to be a first round tackle.

JPhillips
10-26-2006, 10:32 AM
I'll be shocked if Troy Smith isn't gone in the first twenty five picks. If they run the table I'd bet top ten.

My bet right now is that Smith will be running for his life in Oakland next year.

MrBug708
10-26-2006, 12:09 PM
If UCLA had another coach besides Dorrell, we wouldnt even be talking about Notre Dame :(

Mr. Wednesday
10-26-2006, 12:13 PM
What did Dorrell do wrong?

Thomkal
10-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Looks like the Cards gets some help for their O-Line with their #1 pick.

scooper
10-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Looks like the Cards gets some help for their O-Line with their #1 pick.

I heard it told on the radio yesterday that the Cards have not made one change to the OL since Green has been there. Is this true?

Eaglesfan27
10-26-2006, 01:11 PM
If UCLA had another coach besides Dorrell, we wouldnt even be talking about Notre Dame :(

UCLA has more problems than just Dorrell.

dixieflatline
10-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Samardjiza-He's a legit first round WR, but probably late first round. He's faster than some people seem to think and has good leaping ability and hands. But it seems it took him awhile to get into rhythm this year....I blame that evil sport with sticks, gloves and chewing tobacco.

We have talked about this here before but I wonder if him being a baseball player will hurt him in the draft this year. He was considered a first round pick last year in the baseball draft but fell to round 3 where the cubs drafted him and then proceded to give him the biggest contract of any player drafted last year. From some interviews I have heard with him he sounds like he might be reluctant to give up baseball. Plus he will be able to use the Bo Jackson barganing position with the team that drafts him if he doesn't like their offer. Something interesting to follow at least.

ChiMatt
10-26-2006, 02:16 PM
The NFL draft has nothing to do with how well you do in college. It's about how fast you can run with no pads on and how high you can jump. You obviously can't tell how good people are from watching them play but you can after you see their Wonderlic tests.

scooper
10-26-2006, 02:21 PM
We have talked about this here before but I wonder if him being a baseball player will hurt him in the draft this year. He was considered a first round pick last year in the baseball draft but fell to round 3 where the cubs drafted him and then proceded to give him the biggest contract of any player drafted last year. From some interviews I have heard with him he sounds like he might be reluctant to give up baseball. Plus he will be able to use the Bo Jackson barganing position with the team that drafts him if he doesn't like their offer. Something interesting to follow at least.

As I mentioned, it seemed to take him awhile this season to really hit his stride. During the summer, I probably argued that baseball wouldn't affect his play. Now I'm not so sure. I'm not saying he can't overcome it or do both. I just think he's one guy who would be better off sticking with one. So to answer your question...yes. I think baseball hurts his draft stock.

Eaglesfan27
10-26-2006, 02:26 PM
There is speculation that if he won't guarantee a team that he won't play baseball that he could drop into the 2nd or 3rd round even.

If he commits to just football, I think he is a mid to late 1st round pick.

scooper
10-26-2006, 02:33 PM
There is speculation that if he won't guarantee a team that he won't play baseball that he could drop into the 2nd or 3rd round even.

If he commits to just football, I think he is a mid to late 1st round pick.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. He's a very good WR or baseball player. It takes a special athlete to pull off both full time.

stevew
10-26-2006, 03:08 PM
So is Ginn Jr really considered a top 5 pick if he comes out? I saw some site the other day that had him listed as the #1 pick, although that may have been a team need type of pick.

MylesKnight
10-26-2006, 03:25 PM
The big white receiver for ND is really rated that high? Hmmm.

Mr. Wednesday
10-26-2006, 03:27 PM
He's got a knack for making people miss in the open field...

(As UCLA may have noticed...)

st.cronin
10-26-2006, 04:12 PM
I agree that Brady Quinn seems like he's going to be a good NFL qb. He's definitely a better prospect than anybody on the Raiders right now.

Neuqua
10-26-2006, 04:24 PM
.... He's definitely a better prospect than anybody on the Raiders right now.

Uh, the same could be said about me.

st.cronin
10-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Uh, the same could be said about me.

Well, I haven't seen you play. I'm not sure who I think the best QB coming out is going to be, but I do also like

- Chris Leak
- the guy in Nebraska

and, um ... come to think of it, it's not a good class for qbs.

Kodos
01-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Defense dominating Top 25 Big Board
By Mel Kiper Jr.
Special to ESPN.com

There are no newcomers this week on the Big Board, but plenty of changes everywhere except the top where Brady Quinn and Joe Thomas still reign supreme.

1. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame (6-3½, 225) | previous: Same
Poised, smart and at his best in pressure situations. After a comeback against Michigan State, Quinn had solid outings against Purdue and Stanford.

2. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-6½, 313) | previous: Same
Huge, quick and athletic with a long wingspan.

3. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4½, 260) | previous: Same
Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness.

4. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193) | previous: same
Tough customer who also shows very good anticipation and awareness in coverage.

5. Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio St. (6-3, 297) | previous: 8
Run-stuffing dynamo who does a great job of clogging the interior.

6. Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame (6-4½, 215) | previous: 9
Super hands and concentration with outstanding speed-to-size ratio.

7. LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-1½, 205) | previous: 10
Four-year starter who has proven to be Mr. Reliable throughout his career.

8. Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia (6-4, 254) | previous: 5
Mature, hard working and explosive off the edge.

9. Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. (6-4½, 325) | previous: 6
Steady and reliable at protecting the quarterback's blind side.

10. Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame (6-4, 270) | previous rank: 12
He has really stepped up as a big-time pass rusher this season. Abiamiri also is one of the more durable and battle-tested ends in the country.

11. Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn (5-10½, 199) | previous: 7
Deceptively strong with great vision and balance. Another chance to shine this week against Florida's defense.

12. Marcus Thomas, DT, Florida (6-2½, 288) | previous rank: 14
Thomas neutralizes the double team and plays with power.

13. Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame (5-11½, 212) | previous: Same
An aggressive ball hawk who brings a swagger to the Irish's defense. A true play-maker who also excels as a punt returner.

14. DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler, DT, NC State (6-2¼, 310) | previous: 15
Extremely quick and very powerful. A player on the rise, Taylor was a one-man wrecking crew against Boston College.

15. Ryan Harris, OT, Notre Dame (6-4½, 297) | previous: 16
Light on his feet with a defensive mentality. Harris neutralizes quick outside pass rushers.

16. Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno St. (6-0½, 200) | previous: 11
He has the size and speed (4.33 40-yard dash) with outstanding coverage technique.

17. Daymeion Hughes, CB, California (6-0, 187) | previous: same
Big-play cornerback for the Golden Bears. Finished strong in 2005 and it has carried over to this season. Hughes has five INT in five games.

18. David Harris, LB, Michigan (6-2, 240) | previous: Same
Fast, strong and very productive, Harris has been one of the elite defensive players in the Big Ten this season.

19. Aaron Rouse, S, Virginia Tech (6-4, 218) | previous: same
Incredible physical specimen with rare computer numbers.

20. Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi (6-2, 235) | previous: 21
Tackling machine with great football sense and diagnostic ability.

21. Brian Leonard, Rutgers, (6-1, 239) | previous: 20
He will present the NFL with a tremendous amount of versatility, either as a traditional fullback or he could operate as an H-Back.

22. Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska (6-6, 298) | previous: Same
You just don't see many defensive ends carrying 300 pounds who can move as well as Carriker.

23. Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn St. (6-1½, 235) | previous: Same
A productive and consistent player who studies and prepares as thoroughly as anybody.

24. Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee (6-4 ¼, 302) | previous: Same
Prior to going down with a season-ending injury (torn biceps), Harrell was performing at the level you would expect from a first-round draft pick.

25. Michael Bush, RB, Louisville (6-2, 250) | previous: Same
He carried a first-round grade before breaking his leg in the first game of the season. If his rehabilitation goes well, Bush will be an intriguing prospect for next April's draft.

Dropped

Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan St. (6-3, 232) | previous:22
Desire to win is unmatched. Stanton brings every intangible you want at the QB position, but did not looked solid in losses to Notre Dame and Ilinois.

Kyle Young, C, Fresno State (6-5, 339) | previous: 23
Experienced anchor on the Bulldogs offensive line. Great physical skills and extremely durable.

Saw this thread while searching for something else. Not a lot of big names on the list... But Brady Quinn sure worked out!

vex
01-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Saw this thread while searching for something else. Not a lot of big names on the list... But Brady Quinn sure worked out!

I don't think you understand...he had a solid outing against Purdue. That's always a case for #1 material.

jbergey22
01-28-2014, 01:31 PM

Looks like the list was only seniors on it. I didnt see AP, Magatron, and Revis on that list.

flere-imsaho
01-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Jesus, Joe Thomas was drafted in 2007? I'm so old....

Thomkal
01-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Ah yes the monstrosity that was/is Levi Brown.

BillJasper
01-28-2014, 01:50 PM

I remember how pissed I was that the Dolphins passed on Quinn. :lol:

Kodos
01-28-2014, 01:55 PM
I remember how pissed I was that the Dolphins passed on Quinn. :lol:

:lol:

Kodos
01-28-2014, 01:55 PM
I think this thread demonstrates that the draft is in large part a crapshoot.

BishopMVP
01-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Saw this thread while searching for something else. Not a lot of big names on the list... But Brady Quinn sure worked out!Who could've predicted that? Although I thought Jimmy Clausen would be a solid NFL QB... :lol:

Matthean
01-28-2014, 04:02 PM
How did the Irish not win the title? :D

flounder
01-28-2014, 04:05 PM
I think this thread demonstrates that the draft is in large part a crapshoot.

Well, if that list is only seniors, then it demonstrates that anyone who plays 4 years in college probably isn't 1st round material.

stevew
01-28-2014, 04:34 PM
JaMarcus Russell-Terrific bust
Calvin Johnson-one of the best players in the league
Joe Thomas-Great player, good pick at #3.
Gaines Adams-RIP
Levi Brown-Bust
LaRon Landry-Bust
Adrian Peterson-Stud
Jamaal Anderson-Bust
Ted Ginn, Jr.-Bust, although he has slight value as a player
Amobi Okoye-Bust
Patrick Willis-Stud
Marshawn Lynch-Stud, although it was justifiable for Buffalo to trade him with his off field issues.
Adam Carriker-I think he's a solid pro?
Darrelle Revis-In a redraft, could go #1
Lawrence Timmons-He's been pretty good
Justin Harrell-Bust
Jarvis Moss-horrific bust
Leon Hall-good corner
Michael Griffin-good player
Aaron Ross
Reggie Nelson
Brady Quinn-Bust
Dwayne Bowe-Great WR at times
Brandon Meriweather-fuck this guy
Jon Beason-When he wasn't injured, he was good
Anthony Spencer-solid player
Robert Meachem-pretty much a bust
Joe Staley-As good or better than Thomas, did cost the 9ers the #7 pick the next year(I think) but he was worth it.
Ben Grubbs-i think he's solid?
Craig Davis-Bust
Greg Olsen-really good TE
Anthony Gonzalez-bust