PDA

View Full Version : Editing Option

nuggett
10-30-2006, 03:23 PM
I am debating getting this game and have read most of the threads... I am not really sure how much different this game is...

2 big options that would make my decesion easier:

1. Is there an player edit option in this version
2. Can you import your current FOF career or do you haveto start from stratch.

Thks.

nuggett
11-04-2006, 06:24 AM
Anything here... I am more concerned with editing (or the potential that editing will be available), than importing my current season.

Peregrine
11-04-2006, 06:26 AM
You can edit a player's name but that's it. I don't think you can continue to use your current career.

nuggett
11-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Sorry... With the editing I also meant editing a player's attributes...

Thks

Ben E Lou
11-04-2006, 07:01 AM
1. Peregrine's answer was categorically wrong. You can edit nearly everything you want about a player, from where he went to college, to his screen passing rating, to the amount of money in each year of his contract, if that's your cup of tea. You can also create a full player file from scratch.

Will I be able to import Front Office Football 2004 saved games into Front Office Football 2007?
There are so many differences in the data files that this is not practical. However, we understand that many established multi-player leagues have a significant history, and we'd like them to be able to enjoy the new product. This would be a significant problem for them. Within about two weeks after the release, we hope to have a utility ready to handle the conversion of a multi-player league. There will be significant gaps in the player and league history, but the game itself should function properly. Because of security concerns (we wouldn't want the utility to be used to hack the encryption in the data files), we will not be releasing this utility to the public. Instead, we will perform the conversion itself for commissioners of existing leagues and send them the new game files.

nuggett
11-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the answers... Couple of things with what you said:

1. How do you accomplish the editing... is it within the game or in an editor.

2. I am referring to to single acreer mode for the conversion... Will this be possible... Hate the thought of starting from stratch again...

But as I mentioned earlier, i am more concerned with the editing feature and would surely make this purchase this game.

Ben E Lou
11-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the answers... Couple of things with what you said:

1. How do you accomplish the editing... is it within the game or in an editor.There's a csv file provided with the game of the original player file. You use Excel or any other application that can handle csv files to edit the appropriate fields, then the game comes with a utility that converts a csv into a game file.

2. I am referring to to single acreer mode for the conversion... Will this be possible... Hate the thought of starting from stratch again.I think the Solecismic FAQ makes it clear that the conversion will only be for multiplayer leagues: "Because of security concerns (we wouldn't want the utility to be used to hack the encryption in the data files), we will not be releasing this utility to the public. Instead, we will perform the conversion itself for commissioners of existing leagues and send them the new game files."

nuggett
11-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Thks again... With the ability to edit and import my changes, that will make me purchase... Am I right in saying this was not available in FOF2004?

Like I mentioned before, not as concerned about the career importing if i have this edit option.

Thks.

Icy
11-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Thks again... With the ability to edit and import my changes, that will make me purchase... Am I right in saying this was not available in FOF2004?

Like I mentioned before, not as concerned about the career importing if i have this edit option.

Thks.

It was available also in FOF4. While being a good way to edit a players file before starting a career, have on mind that it's the only use of the importer. Once you have a career going, you can't edit those players anymore.

Not an issue for me as i don't need to edit players once my career is going, but just to let you know.

Peregrine
11-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Well, it's good to learn this, I didn't know you could edit via the CSV file.

Ben E Lou
11-04-2006, 08:50 AM
It was available also in FOF4.

To be clear, it was a new feature added for FOF4, and it was also available for FOF2004 and FOF2007. This is the third version of the game that has included this functionality.

nuggett
11-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Don't mean to be beating a dead horse here, but I am confused...

Are you guys saying:

1. You can edit as you season/career progresses

OR

2. You can only edit prior to your career starting.

gbmoore
11-04-2006, 10:10 AM
I think I am asking the same thing as Nugget's last post....

Can we create Draft files in the same manner?

Joe
11-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Don't mean to be beating a dead horse here, but I am confused...

Are you guys saying:

1. You can edit as you season/career progresses

OR

2. You can only edit prior to your career starting.

prior to starting

nuggett
11-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Well that sucks... don;t see the reason to pick up FOF 2007 then.

wade moore
11-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Yeah SD, I think you were missing his question which seems clear now ;)..

He wanted to be able to edit during a career, and that's what Peregrine was answering.

Shkspr
11-04-2006, 10:48 AM
That's okay; if people could alter players after generation to their heart's content, we probably wouldn't be nearly as interested in hearing how good other folks' teams turned out.

Maximum Football is totally customizable from what I hear; that may be more up your alley.

wade moore
11-04-2006, 10:49 AM
That's okay; if people could alter players after generation to their heart's content, we probably wouldn't be nearly as interested in hearing how good other folks' teams turned out.

Maximum Football is totally customizable from what I hear; that may be more up your alley.

Oh yeah, totally agree here, the FOF Community would be much less interesting if this feature existed.

Peregrine
11-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Yeah he seemed to want some kind of god mode where you could wipe out injuries with a wave of your hand or boost a receivers rating when he was having a bad year.

Shkspr
11-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Yeah he seemed to want some kind of god mode where you could wipe out injuries with a wave of your hand or boost a receivers rating when he was having a bad year.

There are days when I want to do that, too. ;)

Ben E Lou
11-04-2006, 11:46 AM
He wanted to be able to cheat during a career, and that's what Peregrine was answering.Ah. OK. Fixed.

nilodor
11-04-2006, 12:57 PM
I think I am asking the same thing as Nugget's last post....

Can we create Draft files in the same manner?

Yes you can, however the draft file converter wasn't included with FOF2007 for some reason, if you have FOF2004 it has a program to convert csv files to draft files.

nuggett
11-04-2006, 01:02 PM
First off, how to do cheat in a single player career...

I just like the edit option to set guys up at the beginnign of the season... As an example, in my current career, Alexander's rating are brutal and he bounces from team-to-team... I just wanted to make his rating in line with what they should be and let it go from there... Same with other players, who are now starters, but their orginal ratings are not where they should be.

Don't think that is too much to ask.

Peregrine
11-04-2006, 01:06 PM
First off, how to do cheat in a single player career...

I just like the edit option to set guys up at the beginnign of the season... As an example, in my current career, Alexander's rating are brutal and he bounces from team-to-team... I just wanted to make his rating in line with what they should be and let it go from there... Same with other players, who are now starters, but their orginal ratings are not where they should be.

Don't think that is too much to ask.

Hmm one thing that might help with this is turning off X Factor when you're starting a game, that way the players should start at the ratings they should be at.

Ben E Lou
11-04-2006, 01:09 PM
I just like the edit option to set guys up at the beginnign of the season... As an example, in my current career, Alexander's rating are brutal and he bounces from team-to-team... I just wanted to make his rating in line with what they should be and let it go from there... Same with other players, who are now starters, but their orginal ratings are not where they should be.You can do just that with FOF2K7. Use the CSV file to edit Alexander's ratings, turn off the X-factor, and he'll be a superstar.

Surtt
11-04-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't think you need to call the guy a cheater just because he asks if you can edit players.
As some one pointed out other games have it.

Ben E Lou
11-04-2006, 01:16 PM
As some one pointed out other games have it....and that's one thing I dislike about other games. {shurg}

gbmoore
11-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks Nilodor!

Yes you can, however the draft file converter wasn't included with FOF2007 for some reason, if you have FOF2004 it has a program to convert csv files to draft files.

AgustusM
12-24-2006, 01:26 PM
I just the love the judgmental stance of some on editing. Cheating? good lord.

I don't see why anyone else would care one way or another what I am doing to my own league - if I wanted to make every player a "99" and win every game 100-0 I don't see why that should bother anyone else.

Now, that is not what I want to do. What I want to do is edit players not only from my team but from many teams to match the real life surprises such as Frank Gore, Tony Romo, Marcus McNeill, etc. Many of these players breakout long after I have started my career.

Almost all of the other text sport sims have supported this for years, and even Madden has a third party editor that works.

you don't want to edit your players fine, but I can't for the life of me see why you would care that I would want to edit mine.