PDA

View Full Version : FOF2K7: Interface seems really slow?

wishbone
11-07-2006, 01:12 AM
I've played for about 20 hours now and the biggest thing bothering me is the time it takes to switch between player or screens. It seems like it has to redraw the whole game window if I move the email box or click next to go from one player card to another. It literally takes 5-8 seconds to switch from player to player. Going through depth charts or other screens is very similar.

I've looked for other reports of this and didn't see any, is anyone else noticing the same behavior? Is there a setting that I missed?

System Spec:
Athlon XP2500+
1GB PC3200
ATi 9600XT 128MB
8GB free on hard drive

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Peregrine
11-07-2006, 01:14 AM
Hmm I certainly haven't seen this, while the FA search does seem a bit slow moving between the player cards has been very quick for me.

dbd1963
11-07-2006, 07:37 AM
It's just as slow for me running on an Intel MacBook Pro via Parallels.

CraigSca
11-07-2006, 07:47 AM
It sounds like you have some kind of exacerbating problem beyond the application itself. That being said, Jim has mentioned that he's been optimizing the code for memory and you may see some improvements after the patch is released.

Do you have other applications open while you run FOF2007?

Icy
11-07-2006, 08:07 AM
FA searches when not any filter used are the only slow thing for me, and anyway not that big issue.

Coder
11-07-2006, 09:02 AM
I actually had similar experiences with the Demo.. maybe not 6-8 seconds, but I could distinctly see the FOF-screen being "repainted"... and I didn't have any particular extra apps open.. maybe Firefox had a tab or two open but not much else.

I thought Jim used a new technique of some sort.. I might be wrong, but the buttons don't look MFC-standard to me..

wishbone
11-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I ran a defrag just to see what would happen, it may have sped things up a little, seems to be 5-6 seconds to switch to a different player card now. I don't have other applications open generally, sometimes iTunes or Firefox. In the background I have Norton 2006 running, but disabling it has no effect.

One odd thing is that it takes 2-3 seconds to even start switching the player card, like there is a delay when pushing the "next" button. I'm able to run other applications fine, games like Battlefield or America's Army seem normal. FOF2k4 did not have the same problem.

Anyone else running an ATi card with Catalyst 6.9 drivers?

amdaily
11-07-2006, 11:35 AM
While I don't see the length of delay you see, is it a problem for me. Having the color scheme work the way it does should be an option, it's a totally pointless feature IMO that only detracts from the game.

cuervo72
11-07-2006, 11:38 AM
I actually like the idea of seeing players in their team colors, I'm just not fond of the blips. I'll likely get past it though.

Solecismic
11-07-2006, 05:16 PM
I've done a tiny amount to speed up the buttons. I've also added an option for people who don't like the changing colors.

Pretty much everything now is custom classes based on MFC. I need to write a scrollbar class in the future - that's all that's left that people can see.

wishbone
11-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the replies, is there anything I may have missed though a setting or something obvious I can try? Please don't be concerned about insulting me, I'm willing to try just about anything to speed this up.

I did try toggling textured background screens off/on, but there was no difference.

wishbone
11-07-2006, 10:46 PM
One more thing... I'm playing right now with Task Manager open, each time I switch player cards, CPU Utilization goes up 100%. It seems my PC is just too slow, which seems really odd to me considering that FOF2k4 ran just fine. Oh well, maybe the patch will make it better.

CraigSca
11-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid I really can't help you on this one. On my PC (an Athlon 3300 - I think) flipping through player cards is slower than other parts of the game, but it's still < 1 second for me.

Wish I had more to help you.

wishbone
11-15-2006, 10:42 AM
The patch did help this; switching player cards takes 3-5 seconds and starts immediately. Much easier to play the game for me!