PDA

View Full Version : The Guild 2

hukarez
11-10-2006, 03:55 AM
I remember playing the heck out of the first game, and despite it's shortcomings, it kept me entertained for a *long* time! I never got the expansion pack, and have been tempted to pick up the "Gold Edition" that I had seen floating about, but instead I found out they've released it's sequel in DVD form!

I went ahead and picked it up, and have been playing it for quite a bit. Since NWN2 is rather choppy on my laptop, and since I'm patient enough to wait to play it on a new machine in the future, I was rather glad that The Guild 2 on it's "normal" settings was pretty presentable for me.

A whole lot more in depth than the first, and it took a bit longer for me to figure out the interface -- let alone remember how to "get started", but after that initial hurdle, I find myself getting back into the swing of things again!

My memory with the fundamental rules of part 1 is a bit fleeting, though I've started out as a Patron class, who apparently can't purchase a business akin to a "Foundry" or the like. I was goofing around for the most part, clicking on parts of the map for my character to run off too (I can't remember if that was even possible in part 1), and buying things to stock up on my hut with.

I started a business a bit late (down from my initial 4k of funds, to 1700 or so, which just so happened to be near the amount required to start a Public House/Bar). I think I might start over again, realizing I've got to make some cash, and the whole leveling up of your player with XP is a pretty nice touch. There's a US patch 1.2 that's available now, and there's just a couple of quirks that I can't stand -- namely, tracking folks on the map.

I was courting somebody, and I got periodic messages about that particular person feeling neglected, but couldn't find her on the map or on screen. It'd be nice to have some kind of tracking thing down. Also, the market and populating your character's inventory is a bit tricky -- resulting in a curious combination of clicks, and thusly not allowing the market window to close down on you.

So far, so good! I haven't even bothered trying out the multiplayer component yet (apparently up to 8 people). Also, you'll have to manually initiate the "creation of your offspring" in this one. I think in the first, it was random, but in this case, you'll have to "spend the night together" with your spouse to produce a child.

For those curious about the system requirements for this one:

1.6Ghz, 512 RAM, 128 meg videocard with DX9.0c support while the recommended stuff shoots for 2.4Ghz, 1 gig of RAM, and a 256 meg card.

hukarez
11-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Update:

I decided to go ahead and play out the tutorial, to get the hang of things.

For the most part, things started coming back to me, and I was pretty much faring alright. However, the game on "Normal" is a bit more challenging for me. I can't quite recall if I've ever played a traditional role outside of being a "Rogue" or the like, but starting off as a Patron has become interesting.

A lot of the issues that I had in regards to locating folks (potential spouses for courting) were solved in the mini-map, as depicted via a "Heart", but for the most part, it's been faring well. Now if I could remember what the key was to speed up / slow down the game...

Izulde
11-10-2006, 09:10 PM
If it's like the original, then double-clicking or maybe single-clicking the clock.

Did the patch fix the crashes? People were screaming about the release being constantly crashing.

hukarez
11-11-2006, 02:03 AM
If it's like the original, then double-clicking or maybe single-clicking the clock.

Did the patch fix the crashes? People were screaming about the release being constantly crashing.

Well, it's a digital clock now in this one. I figured it out, the + and - keys seem to do the trick. As for constant crashing? I haven't had a single crash to desktop if it means anything. Then again, shortly after release (like I do for most games) I also check if there's an applicable patch.

I *almost* grabbed the UK one by accident, but it took just a wee bit of forum searching to find a sticky directing me to the proper US 1.2 version release.

Barkeep49
11-12-2006, 08:48 AM
The reviews for this one weren't as favorable as the first so I've steered away so far despite enjoying the first, bugs and all.

hukarez
11-12-2006, 12:26 PM
I hadn't bothered to look for any reviews on this one before I picked it up -- guess because of the impression the first lasted on me.

I'm actually enjoying the game quite a bit, and it got played throughout all of last Thursday and Friday! If I didn't have a wedding to attend to in Long Beach yesterday, I'd probably have been playing then.

No CTDs here from me, and I'm finding the game to be rather enjoyable.

EDIT:

A link to the demo!

http://www.diegilde2.com/?lang=en&rid=1464

hukarez
11-14-2006, 11:08 AM
I suppose you can say that I've been playing this game rather extensively, and I'm definitely getting my money's worth.

I've not experienced a single crash yet -- though more notably, I've been playing the Patron class more profusely than anything else. More than likely, I'll probably opt to try out a Craftsperson class. I've been playing the game on "Normal" difficulty, and it's been rather challenging for me so far. I'll probably bump down the difficulty to Easy, just to start bringing in a profit (6 children, and only able to send 1 to schooling? Ack!)

Accusing folks of crimes proves to be interesting, though I haven't been directly involved. If there's an event taking place, you're free to lay witness to it if you hurry to the courtroom.

I haven't had much luck (or probably time) to have a secret lover on the side in the game, but I noticed after a few years, my character and my character's wife portrayed signs of aging. It's pretty nifty so far, and between FOF2K7 and this, I think my laptop will get plenty of game time until I build another box that'll be able to handle NWN2 more effectively! :)

BYU 14
07-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Thinking of picking up the Pirates expansion for this (Stand alone from what I see on the forums)

Has anyone played / still playing this and how is the game in it's current state?

STK
07-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Thinking of picking up the Pirates expansion for this (Stand alone from what I see on the forums)

Has anyone played / still playing this and how is the game in it's current state?

I've had a lot of fun as a fisherman in Bergen on the Hansa map.

Definitely check out this thread for an all-in-one modpack that adds a lot of depth and fixes a lot of the bugs.

hxxp://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=169283

BYU 14
07-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks STK

BYU 14
07-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Dola, Pirates is a stand alone game correct?

STK
07-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Dola, Pirates is a stand alone game correct?

Yep, it is stand alone. I made the mistake of buying both the Guild 2 and the Guild 2: POTES at the same time because I wasn't sure.

It was only $7.99 on Steam at the time (I think) - I see it is $14.99 now.

FrogMan
07-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Yep, it is stand alone. I made the mistake of buying both the Guild 2 and the Guild 2: POTES at the same time because I wasn't sure.

It was only $7.99 on Steam at the time (I think) - I see it is $14.99 now.

I also bought it during the Steam Summer sale, but on the day it was on of their daily deal, at 75%, i.e. only payed $3.75 for the Pirates stand alone expansion after reading it added to the original game without taking away much from the original.

Have yet to play much of it though. Bought many games during that darn sale... :)

I've had a lot of fun as a fisherman in Bergen on the Hansa map.

Definitely check out this thread for an all-in-one modpack that adds a lot of depth and fixes a lot of the bugs.

hxxp://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=169283

Thanks for that link, I'll make sure to visit it when I'm getting ready to start a game of my own.

FM