PDA

View Full Version : We didn't kick the FG?!?! (AI issue)

Mike Lowe
11-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Granteed, this was during the pre-season but c'mon! We should have kicked a FG for the win!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e360/Mike47/untitled.jpg

finketr
11-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Granteed, this was during the pre-season but c'mon! We should have kicked a FG for the win!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e360/Mike47/untitled.jpg

I find this to be realistic... it is the detroit lions we're talking about.

Mike Lowe
11-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Ha, true true true. I'm also wondering why I cannot find a game log/box score? Are these only available for regular season games?

Coffee Warlord
11-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Maybe they had Kyle Orton as the holder and didn't want to risk an interception.

finketr
11-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Ha, true true true. I'm also wondering why I cannot find a game log/box score? Are these only available for regular season games?

go to the game schedule.
find the week.
click on the game.

i think is how i found the log/box in an html format, iirc.

Desmond
11-15-2006, 06:32 PM
I dont understand for the life of me how this community doesn't take these AI situations more seriously. This is and has been a serious flaw in the game for some time now. The AI logic in a ton of cases is batshit screwy.

Mike Lowe
11-15-2006, 06:37 PM
go to the game schedule.
find the week.
click on the game.

i think is how i found the log/box in an html format, iirc.

Yeah, got it. I've always known where to find them but for some reason I do not have any box scores for week 1 of the preseason.

Oh well, they are working now.

SFL Cat
11-15-2006, 06:41 PM
I haven't monkeyed around with FOF2007 too much yet, but there were plenty of issues like this in 2004 that absolutely drove me crazy.

wade moore
11-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Mike Lowe - what are your FG settings? That would be a big factor here.

Mike Lowe
11-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Wade,

I was just checking on this...

My settings, choosen by the coach (auto), have a 40% likelieness that we will go for it on 4th down from the 50 yard line to my opponents 21 yard line. I wish these yardage dividers were broken down a bit more. I have no issues with going for it on 4th and short around midfield late while trailing. But within FG range?!?

My actual FG range is set at: 52 and 58 for end of half.

wade moore
11-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Wade,

I was just checking on this...

My settings, choosen by the coach (auto), have a 40% likelieness that we will go for it on 4th down from the 50 yard line to my opponents 21 yard line. I wish these yardage dividers were broken down a bit more. I have no issues with going for it on 4th and short around midfield late while trailing. But within FG range?!?

My actual FG range is set at: 52 and 58 for end of half.

Yeah, that's pretty conservative... Idano..

I definitely see this as an area that could use some improvement. Maybe there needs to be a setting for XX:XX left in the half or something... But I don't think it's a ridiculous AI decision.

highfiveoh
11-15-2006, 06:57 PM
How would the settings, which take effect for field goals within a 40-59 yard range, have any effect in this situation? And you don't think this is a ridiculous decision? That statement in itself is ridiculous. There isn't a coach (college level up) that doesn't kick in that situation.

wade moore
11-15-2006, 07:08 PM
How would the settings, which take effect for field goals within a 40-59 yard range, have any effect in this situation? And you don't think this is a ridiculous decision? That statement in itself is ridiculous. There isn't a coach (college level up) that doesn't kick in that situation.

Uhh, did you read what he wrote? I'll quote again for you.

My settings, choosen by the coach (auto), have a 40% likelieness that we will go for it on 4th down from the 50 yard line to my opponents 21 yard line.

I bolded the important part since you seem to have not read it.

That being said, I said it could use room for improvement. If this is the logic kicking it, it makes sense that he didn't go for it.

I said something else needs to kick in .. maybe a setting you can put in for the end of the game/half or something... I didn't say it's perfect..

And I bet I could dig hard enough and find a coach that didn't go in this situation, but I do agree that an overwhelming majority of coaches in real life would go here. I personally realize that it's somewhere between difficult and impossible to get this perfect and I feel that an overwhelming majority of the time that the AI decisions on the field are sound.

markprior22
11-15-2006, 07:11 PM
I dont understand for the life of me how this community doesn't take these AI situations more seriously. This is and has been a serious flaw in the game for some time now. The AI logic in a ton of cases is batshit screwy.

All this developer has to do is release a game and most people on this board go into "god worship" mode. That's not a knock on Jim at all...it is just a fact. You know this red/green issue has to be terrible for so many people on this board to make this big a stink about it. As far as the AI goes, I play out almost all of my text sim games (i do sim ootp sometimes just due to the longer baseball season) and FOF has the worst INGAME AI of them all. Other games come out and the typical responses are "I don't like that this button is blue instead of red...this is so hard on my eyes...I don't like this interface...it's too clunky"...why can't I have an all girl league...on Mondays with a blue moon this penalty isn't handled right, this game sucks"...I could go on and on but the FOF series has some severe problems that people just ignore. All games have problems at release but FOF gets a long term pass on some core AI issues that other developers would NEVER get away with (especially after this many releases in the series). I've never been able to understand the whole "protect FOF at all costs" mentality of many board members.

Ben E Lou
11-15-2006, 07:23 PM
AAs far as the AI goes, I play out almost all of my text sim games (i do sim ootp sometimes just due to the longer baseball season) and FOF has the worst INGAME AI of them all.Read your own posts, nimrod.

Wow...I'm surprised that more people don't think pbp is important. To me, that is the main thing that gives a game "personality". Depending on the sport and length of schedule, I don't play out every game but I sure like to have the option to "watch" a game unfold. I doubt I would even gotten into this gaming niche if it wasn't for pbp. The first company I dealt with that had pbp was strat o matic baseball. They got to the point where you could have team specific stuff put in the game (managers, coaches, trainers). Things have come a long way since then but that really drew me to these games (as far as the computer goes...started playing sports sim board games in the 70s'). FOF is a very good game but for me, the lack of pbp is the big drawback.

Not a high percentage of people here have used PBP that much. MP has made it more important, but by and large, fast-simmers don't care as much about this sort of stuff. Just like the polls in BBCF haven't mattered all that much to me, this just isn't a big deal to me.

I thought you weren't ever coming back, by the way. I think I'll take you up on your offer and go elsewhere.Just can't resist dropping in to bitch every now and then, huh, you bitter, bitter man?

Ben E Lou
11-15-2006, 07:24 PM
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showpost.php?p=920997&postcount=32

Subby
11-15-2006, 07:24 PM
As far as the AI goes, I play out almost all of my text sim games (i do sim ootp sometimes just due to the longer baseball season) and FOF has the worst INGAME AI of them all.
So you are saying you never owned OOTP5? :D

Ben E Lou
11-15-2006, 07:27 PM
So you are saying you never owned OOTP5? :D;)

highfiveoh
11-15-2006, 07:29 PM
I guess I haven't gone too in depth with gameplanning yet. But a 21-50 yard line range is just too broad. If coaches are just about flipping a coin in that situation, then that's bad. Worse is that's what his scout is recommended for him and that's what my scout is now recommending for me. I guess I could take solace in the fact that he didn't punt. And yes, I've seen guys punt from inside the 30 yard line in 2004 (haven't played 2007 enough to see if this'll still happen).

Desmond
11-15-2006, 07:31 PM
I have no desire to get into a fanboy/casual player this game/that game this developer/that developer argument or rant. I just find it amazing that so much time gets spent anazlyzing and going over players ratings, what they mean, how they perform etc. when the fact of the matter is that for all that, you will lose (or win) many games over the course of a career, based solely on shoddy in game AI.

After the game was released there was a post that listed very compelling evidence that there is an end of half kill switch in which teams will stop passing the ball. Let me reiterate. The AI will stop passing alltogether once it gets inside the 20 yard line, everytime. Nobody seemed to care.

Add on the field goal and the penalty logic, along with a bunch of other little stuff, and the actual in game play borders on maddening.

wade moore
11-15-2006, 07:35 PM
I have no desire to get into a fanboy/casual player this game/that game this developer/that developer argument or rant. I just find it amazing that so much time gets spent anazlyzing and going over players ratings, what they mean, how they perform etc. when the fact of the matter is that for all that, you will lose (or win) many games over the course of a career, based solely on shoddy in game AI.

After the game was released there was a post that listed very compelling evidence that there is an end of half kill switch in which teams will stop passing the ball. Let me reiterate. The AI will stop passing alltogether once it gets inside the 20 yard line, everytime. Nobody seemed to care.

Add on the field goal and the penalty logic, along with a bunch of other little stuff, and the actual in game play borders on maddening.

In all of the craziness, I missed this "kill switch" evidence.. any chance you could point me towards that post?

I just havent' seen evidence that the overall AI of the game has major issues. There are some spots that could use improvement, but like I said - a vast majority of the time I think the AI follows what you tell it to do quite well.

cartman
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
As maddening as some of these late game decision are, the way I justified it to myself was that since refs can't really blow calls in the game, these types of things were the equivalent of bad ref calls. Sometimes you get screwed, other times you are the beneficiary, but in the end, they usually all even out.

Ben E Lou
11-15-2006, 07:43 PM

Add on the field goal and the penalty logic, along with a bunch of other little stuff, and the actual in game play borders on maddening.Like I was saying to Mr.-I'm-leaving-and-never-coming-back-but-I-read-the-board-nearly-every-week-and-make-a-bitter-post-every-now-and-then, I truly think it is because the long-timers here were attracted to FOF without any play-by-play presentation at all. The people that care a lot about the micro stuff probably stayed away from FOF in the past, and gravitated toward other games that had/have more of a focus on it. My thought, at least, is that yeah, I'll lose some because of in-game issues, but I'll win some too. Do I wish it was closer to perfect? Absolutely. However, when I'm more concerned about playing a 30-year career in a few weeks real-time, I know that the wins and losses will even out. What gets me MUCH more excited than in-game stuff is identifying a potential breakout in the draft, watching him develop, seeing him come into his own, seeing what kinds of stats he puts up, and looking back on his career at the end. Heck, I can rarely tell you what team I beat in the Front Office Bowl, let alone who my nickel cornerback is. I do think that's a big part of it. If stats are off a lot, or player development isn't working right, or ratings don't make sense as with 6.0a, you'll see an outcry from the long-timers.

(NOTE: We've seen more and more emphasis on this sort of thing now that MP has become a big deal, and it will probably continue to become more and more important to the community as time goes on. I'm just trying to give a little context for why some things get a lot of community attention, while others don't.)

VPI97
11-15-2006, 07:44 PM
As for the original post, I'd check to see if the kicker was injured at some point in the game.

Probably because it's a ridiculous claim. All I had to do was open one game log to find this:
Carolina: Pro formation with two tight ends, strength is left. The defense is in a 43 and 2-deep bump-and-run coverage, expecting the pass. June is blitzing.
1-10-ARI16 (2Q: 01:07) Jake Delhomme pass completed to RB DeAngelo Williams for 16 yards and a TOUCHDOWN! Williams gained 1 yard after the catch. Carolina 12, Arizona 3

VPI97
11-15-2006, 07:49 PM
dola -

Second box score I opened:
Baltimore: Single-Back formation, strength is left. The defense is in a 34 and 2-deep man-to-man coverage, expecting the pass.
1-10-CLE16 (2Q: 01:07) Steve McNair pass fell incomplete, intended for TE Todd Heap. DE Jared Lester hurried the quarterback into a bad throw. PENALTY: Baltimore was called for Offensive Holding.

cartman
11-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Most people here at FOFC , don't really care how the AI is in any game.

Thats something you have to accept here or you will get rip.

jb, this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen posted.

Ben E Lou
11-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Most people here at FOFC , don't really care how the AI is in any game.

Thats something you have to accept here or you will get rip.:rolleyes:

Desmond
11-15-2006, 07:52 PM
VPI, what version are you running. It makes me very happy to see that but I do know that the post made had 10 samples all from the same week which showed every instance of late half possesion and not 1 team attempted a pass past a certain point, so I dont think it was a ridiculous claim at all. If it's been tinkered with then that's awesome.

Ben E Lou
11-15-2006, 07:58 PM
VPI, what version are you running. It makes me very happy to see that but I do know that the post made had 10 samples all from the same week which showed every instance of late half possesion and not 1 team attempted a pass past a certain point, so I dont think it was a ridiculous claim at all. If it's been tinkered with then that's awesome.Let me take a glance here. I have a season that I just ran with 6.0a...

VPI97
11-15-2006, 07:59 PM
VPI, what version are you running. It makes me very happy to see that but I do know that the post made had 10 samples all from the same week which showed every instance of late half possesion and not 1 team attempted a pass past a certain point, so I dont think it was a ridiculous claim at all. If it's been tinkered with then that's awesome.
That's from the unpatched, original version. Whoever posted that claim to begin with must have a screw loose.

Desmond
11-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Well count me as glad to be proven wrong.

Ben E Lou
11-15-2006, 08:02 PM
That's from the unpatched, original version. Whoever posted that claim to begin with must have a screw loose.jbmagic?

Ben E Lou
11-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Heh. The first one I looked at, if anything they should have just run out the clock, leading 10-7:

<table bgcolor="#ffcc00" border="0" cellspacing="1" width="98%"><tbody><tr> <td align="left" bgcolor="#dceaf8">Seattle: Strong formation, strength is right. The defense is in a 43 with nickel personnel and 1-deep, bump-and-run coverage, keying aggressively on the pass.
1-10-SEA15 (2Q: 00:32) J.R. Nunn ran around the left tackle for 12 yards. Tackled by DE Myron Stuart, assisted by DE Britt Banks. Key block delivered by Greg Branch. PENALTY: Seattle was called for Offensive Holding.</td></tr> <tr> <td align="left" bgcolor="#dceaf8">Seattle: Single-Back formation, strength is left. The defense is in a 43 and 2-deep man-to-man coverage, keying aggressively on the run.
1-17-SEA08 (2Q: 00:24) J.R. Slatt pass completed to RB J.R. Nunn for 5 yards. Tackled by ILB Kyle Rodriguez. Nunn gained 7 yards after the catch. PENALTY: Seattle was called for Offensive Holding.</td></tr> <tr> <td align="left" bgcolor="#dceaf8">Seattle: Pro formation, strength is left. The defense is in a 43 and 3-deep zone coverage, expecting the run.
1-21-SEA04 (2Q: 00:16) J.R. Slatt pass completed to WR Jermaine Elliott for 22 yards. Tackled by CB Zack Pasquarella. Elliott gained 10 yards after the catch.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Flasch186
11-15-2006, 08:10 PM
IIRC this series has always had end of season stats that are closer to real NFL stats than any other game. Some in game AI was questionable, sure, like when to kick etc., but at the end of the year, IIRC the stats were pretty damn good, no?

jbmagic
11-15-2006, 08:17 PM
IIRC this series has always had end of season stats that are closer to real NFL stats than any other game. Some in game AI was questionable, sure, like when to kick etc., but at the end of the year, IIRC the stats were pretty damn good, no?

So end of half and end of game logic don't mean much to you?

Not all of us are fast simmers.

cartman
11-15-2006, 08:20 PM
So end of half and end of game logic don't mean much to you?

Not all of us are fast simmers.

Of course it doesn't. You yourself said that we don't care about AI. Just flipping a coin over and over is enough for my sim needs.

Ben E Lou
11-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Desmond, here's an example of what I'm talking about:
<table class="tborder" id="threadslist" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody id="threadbits_forum_6"><tr><td style="cursor: pointer;" class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_54308">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td style="cursor: default;" class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_54308" title="Granteed, this was during the pre-season but c'mon! We should have kicked a FG for the win! http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e360/Mike47/untitled.jpg"> http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/images/misc/subscribed.gif We didn't kick the FG?!?! (AI issue) (http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=54308)
Mike Lowe
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 33, Views: 425"> Today 09:10 PM
by Flasch186 (http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/member.php?find=lastposter&t=54308) http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/images/styles/office/buttons/lastpost.gif (http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?p=1308063#post1308063)
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">33 (http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/forumdisplay.php?f=6#)</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">425</td> <td class="alt1"> <input name="tlist[54308]" id="tlist_54308" value="0" type="checkbox"></td></tr></tbody></table>

versus...

<table class="tborder" id="threadslist" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody id="threadbits_forum_6"><tr><td class="alt2"> </td> <td style="cursor: default;" class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_53969" title="I know there has been a thread about the run to pass ratio, which I think is a bit off, but I've discovered another issue that seems even more off from real football. Basically I was running my draft pick dynasty and I was trying to find out why it seemed that so many of even the best WRs seemed to..."> http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/images/misc/subscribed.gif FOF2K7 receiving yards issue (http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=53969)
Peregrine
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 23, Views: 717"> Today 11:34 AM
by SunDevil (http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/member.php?find=lastposter&t=53969) http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/images/styles/office/buttons/lastpost.gif (http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?p=1307654#post1307654)
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">23 (http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/forumdisplay.php?f=6#)</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">717</td> <td class="alt1">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

I think it's just a fact of the demographic here. Post about a stats issue, and people come runnin' to investigate. Post about an in-game AI issue, and it just doesn't generate as much interest.

Desmond
11-15-2006, 08:34 PM
I completely understand. Doesnt bother me any less though. I guess I had hoped that after a few years of MP that alot of people would be looking closer at the in game stuff and commenting on it.

yabanci
11-15-2006, 08:35 PM
...But I don't think it's a ridiculous AI decision.

Not making a field goal attempt when you're down 17-16 and it's 4th and 8 on the opponent's 22 with 43 seconds to go in the game??? You've got to be kidding me.

It's a good thing when people point out things that go wrong in the game. It makes it more likely it will be fixed. Your fanboyishness in trying to rationalize the ridiculous doesn't do anyone any good.

wade moore
11-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Not making a field goal attempt when you're down 17-16 and it's 4th and 8 on the opponent's 22 with 43 seconds to go in the game??? You've got to be kidding me.

It's a good thing when people point out things that go wrong in the game. It makes it more likely it will be fixed. Your fanboyishness in trying to rationalize the ridiculous doesn't do anyone any good.

It's a bad decision, yes. It's not RIDICULOUS depending on the circumstances surrounding it.

I don't know the kickers talent (FOFCers skimp on kickers a lot), I don't know the timeout situation, etc..

Again, I recognize this could use improvement and have said that over and over. I just think to get nutso because in one VERY specific situation a bad decision was made is just silly. If someone were to prove that in these type of situations a bad decision is made in a statistically significant # of instances, I'm listening. But pointing out one bad decisions and saying that FOF is screwed up because of it does not hold water with me.

Toddzilla
11-15-2006, 08:40 PM
All this developer has to do is release a game and most people on this board go into "god worship" mode. That's not a knock on Jim at all...it is just a fact. You know this red/green issue has to be terrible for so many people on this board to make this big a stink about it. As far as the AI goes, I play out almost all of my text sim games (i do sim ootp sometimes just due to the longer baseball season) and FOF has the worst INGAME AI of them all. Other games come out and the typical responses are "I don't like that this button is blue instead of red...this is so hard on my eyes...I don't like this interface...it's too clunky"...why can't I have an all girl league...on Mondays with a blue moon this penalty isn't handled right, this game sucks"...I could go on and on but the FOF series has some severe problems that people just ignore. All games have problems at release but FOF gets a long term pass on some core AI issues that other developers would NEVER get away with (especially after this many releases in the series). I've never been able to understand the whole "protect FOF at all costs" mentality of many board members.Thank you, Jennifer Winter.

cartman
11-15-2006, 08:40 PM

I don't think he was saying it wasn't a ridiculous real-world decision, he was saying it wasn't a ridiculous AI decision. When the settings were go for it on 4th down 40% of the time between the 20 and the 50, then decision to go for it was not unexpected. He did mention in his post that there probably needs to be an option except when there is less than XX:XX left in the half/game.

wade moore
11-15-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't think he was saying it wasn't a ridiculous real-world decision, he was saying it wasn't a ridiculous AI decision. When the settings were go for it on 4th down 40% of the time between the 20 and the 50, then decision to go for it was not unexpected. He did mention in his post that there probably needs to be an option except when there is less than XX:XX left in the half/game.

You explained what I was saying better than I did ;).

yabanci
11-15-2006, 08:51 PM
It's a bad decision, yes. It's not RIDICULOUS depending on the circumstances surrounding it.

I don't know the kickers talent (FOFCers skimp on kickers a lot), I don't know the timeout situation, etc..

Again, I recognize this could use improvement and have said that over and over. I just think to get nutso because in one VERY specific situation a bad decision was made is just silly. If someone were to prove that in these type of situations a bad decision is made in a statistically significant # of instances, I'm listening. But pointing out one bad decisions and saying that FOF is screwed up because of it does not hold water with me.

Here you go again. Nobody went nutso and nobody said FOF is screwed up. Somebody pointed out a problem and hopefully it will get looked at. You don't need to come to the resucue by defending the indefensible. It's GOOD when people point out problems. Your fanboyishness doesn't do anybody any good.

wade moore
11-15-2006, 09:08 PM

As far as the AI goes, I play out almost all of my text sim games (i do sim ootp sometimes just due to the longer baseball season) and FOF has the worst INGAME AI of them all.

when the fact of the matter is that for all that, you will lose (or win) many games over the course of a career, based solely on shoddy in game AI.

Here you go again. Nobody went nutso and nobody said FOF is screwed up.:confused:

And, again, I said that it needs improvement.

wade moore
11-15-2006, 09:08 PM

when the fact of the matter is that for all that, you will lose (or win) many games over the course of a career, based solely on shoddy in game AI.

Here you go again. Nobody went nutso and nobody said FOF is screwed up.:confused:

yabanci
11-16-2006, 12:41 AM
:confused:

yeah, one person said the game has had AI problems for a long time, something everybody knows, and another three quotes that came after your pathetic apologetics. Give it up.

Ksyrup
11-16-2006, 07:06 AM
I'm a fast-simmer and rarely if ever watch or play out my games, so in-game logic is beyond anything I'd see. I agree that, based on some specific issues I've seen pointed out, I'd like to see some things tweaked. But at the end of the day, I'm more interested in roster composition than the specifics of whether I win or lose based on a faulty AI call. If I lose based on that and happen to notice, it would upset me, but what can you do? Jim's already acknowledged that the end-game AI stuff is very tricky, and given his expertise in the area, I'm going to have to give him the benefit of the doubt. It can't be perfect, so I'll deal with it as is. As long as the season stats are in-line with what I'd expect, I care more about that than the micro-management issues.

For those that watch the games and know there is a problem with certain things...why not just stop the simulation at the last 3 minutes or so and call the plays so you are assured that the GW FG gets kicked, or you go for it when down by 2 scores, etc.? You know there's a problem, and you can do something about it, so do it!

wade moore
11-16-2006, 07:09 AM
For those that watch the games and know there is a problem with certain things...why not just stop the simulation at the last 3 minutes or so and call the plays so you are assured that the GW FG gets kicked, or you go for it when down by 2 scores, etc.? You know there's a problem, and you can do something about it, so do it!

To play Devil's Advocate - that doesn't help your opponent in making the right decisions.

Ksyrup
11-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Sure, but who's going to complain about getting a cheap victory every once and awhile? I would only be really pissed if it cost me a victory, so to the extent you can control that, why not do it?

wade moore
11-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Sure, but who's going to complain about getting a cheap victory every once and awhile? I would only be really pissed if it cost me a victory, so to the extent you can control that, why not do it?

Again, Devil's Advocate again - It's not about racking up as many wins as you can in whatever means, but about winning and it being realistic?

Idano.. ;)

Ksyrup
11-16-2006, 07:44 AM
This thread is doing some weird things...

I couldn't get to wade's post (the 49th or 50th post of the thread) without posting myself. It either showed my post as the last one, or when I hit page 2, it went to the top of page 1. Strange...

Anyway, I understand what the issue is with it, but I'm just trying to provide some practical advice/work-arounds for what has already been acknowledged by the developer as a sticky area to get right. Control what you have the ability to control and hold your nose or make up real-life excuses (Herm Edwards is my coach! Phil Luckett was the referee!) for the rest.

MizzouRah
11-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Send Jim an email and I'm sure he'll look into it. I always wonder why people post issues here without first emailing Jim about what happened with as much information as possible. I've always done that and he's always replied.

If you have done that and just wanted to discuss this, then kudos (not Kodos) to you!!

DanGarion
11-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Damn I was hoping this was a Billy Joel parody song of FOFC.

Julio Riddols
11-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Maybe I'm just a real easy going dude, but some people sure seem to me like real bitches when it comes to things like this.

People defend Jim ( A human ) on this board because he ALWAYS does his best to answer our questions and address issues with his games. That being the case, there is no reason to get all in a tizzy just because you found a flaw in a game made by said human.

It is one thing to post about a bug and air your concerns about it, but complaining and pointing fingers and saying negative things about the developer or the game is just pointless. I am not just talking about this thread, but in general. It's just asshole type behavior. If you have a problem with anything, especially with a guy with a track record like Jim, then would it hurt to be civil?

As a side point, I could maybe understand if Jim was equally a dick about things, was constantly disregarding our concerns, etc..

But.. he isn't.

So come on.. everybody take a deep breath and calm the fuck down.

st.cronin
11-16-2006, 01:29 PM
I like Jim and his games a great deal, but the ingame AI has always been far from perfect, particularly in endgame/end of the half situations.

Front Office Midget
11-16-2006, 03:07 PM
I had no idea so many people were fast simmers. My two friends and I play a multiplayer league where we sim a week or 2 a night pretty much, and I notice the AI quite a bit, and must say that late games are frustrating (FOF2K4). When a team is trailing by 3, late in the game, and gets into FG range, it will basically ALWAYS run the ball, settling for a tie, rather than taking any shots at the endzone. Often this results in late game missed FGs, because they didn't move the ball past the 30.

JasonC23
11-16-2006, 09:58 PM
I had no idea so many people were fast simmers. My two friends and I play a multiplayer league where we sim a week or 2 a night pretty much, and I notice the AI quite a bit, and must say that late games are frustrating (FOF2K4). When a team is trailing by 3, late in the game, and gets into FG range, it will basically ALWAYS run the ball, settling for a tie, rather than taking any shots at the endzone. Often this results in late game missed FGs, because they didn't move the ball past the 30.

Of course, this exact behavior seems to happen 2 or 3 times every week in the real NFL (Martyball, Denny Green, etc), so in some ways, it's actually too realistic for its own good...

Pyser
11-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Of course, this exact behavior seems to happen 2 or 3 times every week in the real NFL (Martyball, Denny Green, etc), so in some ways, it's actually too realistic for its own good...

yes, but a hallmark of any nfl kicker is you are supposed to be automatic from 40 yards and under. when you are facing a game winning fg from 39 yards out and dont kick it, somethings very wrong. its tough to believe anyone could defend this.

lets just hope jim takes a look at it.

Anthony
11-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Here you go again. Nobody went nutso and nobody said FOF is screwed up. Somebody pointed out a problem and hopefully it will get looked at. You don't need to come to the resucue by defending the indefensible. It's GOOD when people point out problems. Your fanboyishness doesn't do anybody any good.

i love you. i agree 154% with everything you've said. wade's posts have become toilet paper for me. i disregard everything he writes. he didn't get the memo that he doesn't have to agree with the mods/IHOF members to be liked, and no one will take away his mod powers if he happens to not toe the company line.

he is a fanboy of the worst kind. i spit at his feet.

finketr
11-17-2006, 12:25 PM
yes, but a hallmark of any nfl kicker is you are supposed to be automatic from 40 yards and under. when you are facing a game winning fg from 39 yards out and dont kick it, somethings very wrong. its tough to believe anyone could defend this.

lets just hope jim takes a look at it.

and to get a 39y fg, you have to be on your 22. which is inside the 30.