PDA

View Full Version : FOF 6.0b Patch Released

irish-leaf
11-16-2006, 02:39 AM
In all the hullaballoo over 6.0a, Jim seems to have slid in a new update 6.0b!!!

Anyhow guys, this is the link http://www.solecismic.com/support/index.php

I think we should all eat humble pie and applaud Jim for his hard and speedy work in trying to keep all us eejits happy while we sit in here and complain about the game!! :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

gbeats
11-16-2006, 02:41 AM
my thoughts exactly!

Peregrine
11-16-2006, 02:49 AM
Sweet!

Dutch
11-16-2006, 02:55 AM
I think we should all eat humble pie and applaud Jim for his hard and speedy work in trying to keep all us eejits happy while we sit in here and complain about the game!! :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

I think Jim wants to know when his customers are unhappy. Solecismic always supports it's titles, but at least some of the fixes he's made over the years is because of idiots (sic) giving him feedback, not in spite of the feedback.

Welcome to FOFC, btw.

(Thanks, Jim!)

irish-leaf
11-16-2006, 03:20 AM
I think Jim wants to know when his customers are unhappy. Solecismic always supports it's titles, but at least some of the fixes he's made over the years is because of idiots (sic) giving him feedback, not in spite of the feedback.

Welcome to FOFC, btw.

(Thanks, Jim!)

Thanks for the welcome, the post wasn't meant to be interpreted in a degrading way, i just found it funny that while we're in here complaining and trying to work out some kind of weird algebra/physics scouting equation there may already be solution. :D

I know Jim needs the feedback, but there have been a few posts, let's say not worded the best. A little harsh considering Jim's previous standards i feel.

Axxon
11-16-2006, 03:35 AM

Welcome to FOFC, btw.

(Thanks, Jim!)

But some of them are (sic) idiots not the other way around. The things they do with trout, yeesh. ;)

Icy
11-16-2006, 03:38 AM
A sincerely applaud to Jim for fixing it this soon, that is why he is not bashed as much as other developers when his product has some bugs (that every piece of software has).

I must agree with Dutch, I'm one of those guys who has been vocal about the scouting issue but i think are exactly those kind of discussion threads the ones that help the most the games to be fixed and enjoyed finally for the whole community.

I'm fine with customers complaining and discussing about a game design decisions or bugs as long as it's done being polite and with respect, as it has been in this case.

Now less talking and more playing! :)

yabanci
11-16-2006, 03:45 AM
ah, the beauty of green bars. Everything looks great on first look. Much appreciated, Jim.

Here is some pertinent info from the help file:

Player Information Screen:

Each scouting staff is rated for their ability to scout players at each position. The ratings are most accurate for players in positions where the scouts are considered "Excellent." The ratings may not be very accurate where scouts are considered "Poor." In those cases, you might have to rely more on a player's statistics than the scouting reports.

The red portion of the scouting bar refers to your scout's assessment of the player's current expertise in the selected attribute. The green portion of the scouting bar refers to your scout's assessment of the player's future potential in that attribute.

The area underneath the skill set bars indicates your player's experience level at various positions. The red bars above are set based on the player's current assigned position.

The color background for each position shows the player's rough experience level at his position. A red background indicates a player is fully developed, orange is a step down, then orange-yellow, yellow, lime green, blue-green, light blue, medium blue, blue and finally purple, indicate the player has little to no experience at the position.

Here is Ricky Waters from the 1992 file, red and green bars as we would expect to see:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2710/waterstw8.jpg

Here are the league's running backs in their first five years of experience sorted by future potential (my color scheme is obviously custom, but you get the point):

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3889/rbshn5.jpg

All is again right with the world.

Narcizo
11-16-2006, 03:53 AM
I'd just like to chime in with the general "Jim rules" sentiment of this thread. Because, er, he does.

Icy
11-16-2006, 03:54 AM
Yeah i just started a new career and it all looks nice, rookies are not fully developed.

Emiliano
11-16-2006, 04:03 AM
http://www.fof-ihof.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_applaud.gif (http://java_script_/)

Thank you Jim!

Ben E Lou
11-16-2006, 04:22 AM
FYI, 6.0b is also mirrored on the download spreadsheet.

Ronde Barber
11-16-2006, 04:26 AM
Thank you very much!!!!
Now i go playing.... :)

BradS
11-16-2006, 06:21 AM
Excellent. Thank You!

Ksyrup
11-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Awesome. I can d/l and take the new version with me to Texas for next week! Woo-hoo!

Ben E Lou
11-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Excited to go deep into FOF2K7 this evening. Thanks, Jim!

JeeberD
11-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Thanks a ton, Jim. :)

NoMyths
11-16-2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks much, Jim.

A-Husker-4-Life
11-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Thank you Jim, it appears you struck oil again with the player cards. WOW just WOW..

JPhillips
11-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks, Jim.

Its Jim's ability to handle constructive criticism that sets him apart in this genre. While he may not agree with everything, he handles his consumer base better than any other text sim programmer. That's why we can all debate and complain, but still be happy with the product.

TRO
11-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Yay.

Subby
11-16-2006, 08:15 AM
How does the depth chart screen look?

twothree
11-16-2006, 08:18 AM
Thank you.

Sweed
11-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks Jim, what a great thing to wake up to. Everything looks good.

How does the depth chart screen look?

Very nice IMHO. The scout window that was added for v6.0a is still there with the new "experience tabs" visible. So you get the scout report, experience tab, and current relevant season stats for the player all in one box, very cool.

Izulde
11-16-2006, 08:53 AM
I love the way the XP is handled now.

Thanks, Jim! :)

I'll mos def have to buy it this weekend.

Kodos
11-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks for your hard work, Jim. Looking forward to giving the game a test run now. :)

Pumpy Tudors
11-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Well, shit, this did it. Purchasing tonight!

Oilers9911
11-16-2006, 09:36 AM
I am going to purchase the game now. I have purchased 2 previous versions and I am looking forward to playing this one. However, and I will probably get slammed like a 2 dollar hooker for this, but.....why is everyone so vociferously thanking Jim for fixing a problem in a game that they have paid good money for? Don't get me wrong because I think Jim puts out a great product and supports the hell out of it but to thank him for fixing a problem in the game like he just cured cancer is a little much. I think if you asked Jim he would thank YOU guys for buying the game and being patient while the patch was coming. Next time my car is recalled i'm going to thank the technicians like crazy for fixing a problem that was the company's error to begin with. I'll put on my suit of armour right now and wait for the hail of bullets.

KWhit
11-16-2006, 09:42 AM
I am going to purchase the game now. I have purchased 2 previous versions and I am looking forward to playing this one. However, and I will probably get slammed like a 2 dollar hooker for this, but.....why is everyone so vociferously thanking Jim for fixing a problem in a game that they have paid good money for? Don't get me wrong because I think Jim puts out a great product and supports the hell out of it but to thank him for fixing a problem in the game like he just cured cancer is a little much. I think if you asked Jim he would thank YOU guys for buying the game and being patient while the patch was coming. Next time my car is recalled i'm going to thank the technicians like crazy for fixing a problem that was the company's error to begin with. I'll put on my suit of armour right now and wait for the hail of bullets.

You shouldn't get flamed for asking that question, IMO. I think most of us have seen developers take FOREVER to get a patch out that may or may not fix what is wrong with a game. Jim has always been very quick to respond and generally does a great job of taking care of the issues with his products. Especially when there have been pages of posts criticizing his product (some correctly, some not - some constructive, some downright mean-spirited), it makes sense for us to let him know we appreciate the effort and the very quick turnaround.

Pumpy Tudors
11-16-2006, 09:48 AM
It sounds like a valid question to me. Considering that some games go for weeks or months without much-needed patches, I think Jim deserves big thanks for getting these patches out so quickly. Besides that, I don't think that people are just thanking Jim for fixing the problems. The thanks are also for Jim being very willing to listen, very cooperative, and just plain communicating with us. Even more impressive is that he understands the importance of backing his product, even during a time at which he's got big things going on in his life. He should be thanked for all of these things.

Yeah, I guess we are sort of thanking him for something that he should do. Still, when there are developers out there who don't (or can't) provide the same level of commitment to their customers and their product, I think we should openly appreciate the ones who do.

Thanks, Jim!

RedKingGold
11-16-2006, 09:54 AM

Just common courtesy. I don't feel like I have to thank Jim, but I want to because I appreciate and admire his work. It does not make people wrong for feeling otherwise, however.

Its like saying thank you to someone for doing a good job. Is someone doing a good job expected? Yes. Does it alway happen? Not most of the time. So, when someone does something well and good, I think there is nothing wrong with just saying a simple "thank you"

VPI97
11-16-2006, 09:54 AM
why is everyone so vociferously thanking Jim for fixing a problem in a game that they have paid good money for?
It's not for the act of fixing the problem, but for the level of customer service and the speed at which updates have been released for this product and past products. Yes, fixing release bugs and changing design decisions in a timely manner should be expected by development companies both small and large, but more often than not, that's not what really happens. Jim has a history of regularly interacting with his customers and working around the clock (literally) to fix release issues. Those are good things.

Also, it's more polite to take time to thank someone instead of taking a more demanding tone. Politeness is a good thing, too.

twothree
11-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Next time my car is recalled i'm going to thank the technicians like crazy for fixing a problem that was the company's error to begin with.

Actually, in my one experience with having something recalled on a car, I do remember thanking the mechanics who fixed the problem.

Oilers9911
11-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Ok, you guys make good points. You're right, it isn't about fixing the problem it is about caring enough about the customer to do it right and do it in a timely manner. Thanks for your replies.

twothree. You're right also. You would thank the mechanic for fixing the problem but you probably wouldn't thank Ford, GM etc. :)

Sweed
11-16-2006, 10:13 AM

Just common courtesy. I don't feel like I have to thank Jim, but I want to because I appreciate and admire his work. It does not make people wrong for feeling otherwise, however.

Agree with the common courtesy and that it doesn't make others wrong that see no reason to thank Jim, or anyone that does a service for that matter.

I do wonder though, why some find the need to question a person that does say thanks?

Hammer
11-16-2006, 10:14 AM
I think Jims customer service is fantastic, as is the game. He listens and responds. Not as common as you might think.

Eaglesfan27
11-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Agreed with what others said. It's the speed of the patches and the obvious high standard of customer care in working so quickly and intensely on the patch. I think that goes above the standard of most other text sim developers. So, thanks Jim! :)

MizzouRah
11-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Me too, thanks Jim!

Gallifrey
11-16-2006, 10:47 AM

First off, I never slam anyone for writing code that may have bugs because I know how that is. No matter how much you try to find it all, it is hard to do until you have fresh eyes looking at it.

Second, I bought the game. Paid my money. But I did it knowing if there were problems Jim would fix them, fix them to my liking and do it quickly.

I guess from my past days of buying EA Sports games and getting stuck with stupid mistakes (in all these years, I still can't get over how you can run an illegal shift against another human player online, fool the Def every time with it, and it is never called) so I guess I see Jim as the best I have bought from. And he isn't on another planet. He will communicate with you.

Thanks for the update Jim

MizzouRah
11-16-2006, 10:49 AM
ah, the beauty of green bars. Everything looks great on first look. Much appreciated, Jim.

Here is some pertinent info from the help file:

Here is Ricky Waters from the 1992 file, red and green bars as we would expect to see:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2710/waterstw8.jpg

Here are the league's running backs in their first five years of experience sorted by future potential (my color scheme is obviously custom, but you get the point):

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3889/rbshn5.jpg

All is again right with the world.

This is great!!!!!!

BrianD
11-16-2006, 11:01 AM
I do wonder though, why some find the need to question a person that does say thanks?

Probably the same reason we question people defending the developer on the MaxFB forums. People want real information even when they go to a forum dedicated to a product. With all the people gushing over Jim's work, others have to decide if this is a typical fanboy response, or if Jim really did something special. Those of us that have been here through past releases will understand the quick turnaround and attention paid to consumers, but someone new may just see fanboy responses.

In truth, questions like that add more to Jim's reputation because people have so many good service stories to share.

Ben E Lou
11-16-2006, 11:18 AM
I am going to purchase the game now. I have purchased 2 previous versions and I am looking forward to playing this one. However, and I will probably get slammed like a 2 dollar hooker for this, but.....why is everyone so vociferously thanking Jim for fixing a problem in a game that they have paid good money for? Don't get me wrong because I think Jim puts out a great product and supports the hell out of it but to thank him for fixing a problem in the game like he just cured cancer is a little much. I think if you asked Jim he would thank YOU guys for buying the game and being patient while the patch was coming. Next time my car is recalled i'm going to thank the technicians like crazy for fixing a problem that was the company's error to begin with. I'll put on my suit of armour right now and wait for the hail of bullets.Nah, no need to flame. It's really quite simple why the appreciation, though. It's the comparison to the rest of the industry, including (especially) the big retail games. My last new game before this was Civ4. I can't recall exactly when it was released, but I know for a fact that it was unplayable due to numerous crashes for several *months* after I bought it. Jim released a game that was playable (with some issues, definitely) out of the box, was patched a little over 2 weeks later, was found to be unplayable by most after the patch, but Jim only allowed it to remain unplayable for less than 48 hours. As others have mentioned, it's also a consistent track record, particularly with FOF2K4. FOF2K4 was the only text sim I've ever owned with which I started an initial career with the release version, and was able to just keep on playing that career after the first patch. Usually, things are so screwy and/or imbalanced, or stats are so bad, that a restart is pretty much necessary.

Yes, and there's also that good ol' common courtesy thing...

Pumpy Tudors
11-16-2006, 11:25 AM
did jim fixed ai

wade moore
11-16-2006, 11:28 AM
did jim fixed ai

I give it a 1.5 ... not your best work...

MizzouRah
11-16-2006, 11:29 AM
I give it a 1.5 ... not your best work...

please stop causing problems

Pumpy Tudors
11-16-2006, 12:24 PM
I set 'em up, Todd knocks 'em down.

Dutch
11-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I set 'em up, Todd knocks 'em down.

Stop screwing around and go buy the game already!

Pumpy Tudors
11-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Stop screwing around and go buy the game already!
I have decided to buy Maximum Football instead.

Dutch
11-16-2006, 12:59 PM

Ah, a box art fan.

Oilers9911
11-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Agree with the common courtesy and that it doesn't make others wrong that see no reason to thank Jim, or anyone that does a service for that matter.

Who was questioning someone that said thanks? I was merely asking WHY some feel the need to do so. I was certainly not questioning the people themselves.

gottimd
11-16-2006, 01:19 PM
So did I, there just isn't enough player teleportation in FOF.

jbmagic
11-16-2006, 01:48 PM
thanks Jim

Looks like I will buy the game soon too. Great time to be off 5 days next week for Thanksgiving Weekend.

I guess the only issue left is AI decisons on end of halves and end of games. I am sure Jim will improve that soon too.

But glad everything else is fix. I enjoy FOf 2004 and I can't wait to play FOF 2007.

MIJB#19
11-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Time to open a can of worms.I guess the only issue left is AI decisons on end of halves and end of games. I am sure Jim will improve that soon too.You don't fix what isn't broken.

Sweed
11-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Time to open a can of worms.You don't fix what isn't broken.

I'm guessing jb read it somewhere. Ask him for the link:)

Oilers9911
11-16-2006, 02:40 PM
He sure seems to have alot of opinions on the ai for someone that hasn't played the game.

M GO BLUE!!!
11-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks Jim!

Since you're such a great guy, I think we can all agree in hoping your favorite college team destroys their opponent this weekend! :D

Pumpy Tudors
11-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Since you're such a great guy, I think we can all agree in hoping your favorite college team destroys their opponent this weekend! :D
U of M, right? As in Memphis? Yeah, I think they actually have a shot against Houston.

Mike Lowe
11-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Forgive me for not reading this entire thread, but was the issue with the red/green bars only for rookie players?

Just looking for some clarification on the issue (so I don't have to rescout my entire team again ugh).

Deattribution
11-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Forgive me for not reading this entire thread, but was the issue with the red/green bars only for rookie players?

Just looking for some clarification on the issue (so I don't have to rescout my entire team again ugh).

I think it generally affected everyone, but rookies more than anyone.

kingnebwsu
11-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Hopefully the text-based football gods don't thank Jim with a Michigan victory this weekend ;)

Raiders Army
11-16-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry, but after being gone since Monday...is there a list of fixes for both patches?

jbmagic
11-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm sorry, but after being gone since Monday...is there a list of fixes for both patches?

nope

Ben E Lou
11-16-2006, 07:27 PM

nope

JB's been sulking all week because he hasn't had a fix list to copy and paste.

Raiders Army
11-16-2006, 07:27 PM
nope

Just did a little searching and found the thread where he said this. Maybe if I weren't so lazy I'd look for it instead of asking. Thanks anyhow. :)

Buccaneer
11-16-2006, 07:30 PM

But he was able to copy and paste his reply though:

nope

willoconley
11-16-2006, 07:42 PM
In all the hullaballoo over 6.0a, Jim seems to have slid in a new update 6.0b!!!

Anyhow guys, this is the link http://www.solecismic.com/support/index.php

Enjoy!

Quick like a bunny or should I say quick like my new first round wide receiver's agility score in the combine.

wade moore
11-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Just did a little searching and found the thread where he said this. Maybe if I weren't so lazy I'd look for it instead of asking. Thanks anyhow. :)

There is a thread with all of the reported bugs which Jim has stated he looked at all of them. I'll try to dig it up, but if you search for bug you should find it.

MizzouRah
11-16-2006, 09:06 PM

Did you take away his copy and paste function? :D

JSap
11-16-2006, 09:18 PM
It looks like there is still a problem - there is no way Siran Stacy was ever a 39, and I sure wish he had reached any where near a 61 in potential! No, but seriously, it looks like it is time to buy this one now! Thanks Jim!

cwilloughby
11-17-2006, 02:07 AM
OMG!

Did anyone notice that the Recommend player screen now keeps 'Future Potential' selected when you switch between positions!??!??!

Thanks Jim!

Ben E Lou
11-17-2006, 04:24 AM
Bump. Un-stick.