PDA

View Full Version : Question: Roster Rules

OttoGott
11-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Hello -

I've been playing FOF 2k7 for about 2 weeks now and have been really enjoying myself. I'm using version 6b. First post too. :-)

So far I've let the AI handle the setting of depth charts and yesterday I decided to try my hand at setting them myself (including game plans). For my first game, everything went well and I was able to simulate with no problems. However, in my second game, I kept getting a pop-up box saying I had a depth chart error due to one of my depth-chart players being inactive.

I was able to trace the problem to one player (my backup LT slot - it was blank after getting the depth chart error pop-up, and I assume the program does that to alert you to the source of the error). So I made an active RB inactive and made an inactive LT (the player I was trying to put in my depth chart) active. I double-checked my depth charts to make sure the RB I switched from active to inactive was no longer in any depth chart. My roster had 46 active and 7 inactive, and I met all of the position requirements (checked through the position distribution button from the roster screen). Everything looked good also for each of the player cards for the two players I switched. But I still got the error, concerning my backup LT slot, and when I checked the roster of the two players I switched they both had reverted back to their original active/inactive status before I made the switch. :-(

Am I misunderstanding a game mechanic, roster rules, or a combination of the two? Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? If you do not understand my explanation or need more info, just let me know.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

OttoGott
11-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Hello -

I've been playing FOF 2k7 for about 2 weeks now and have been really enjoying myself. I'm using version 6b. First post too. :-)

So far I've let the AI handle the setting of depth charts and yesterday I decided to try my hand at setting them myself (including game plans). For my first game, everything went well and I was able to simulate with no problems. However, in my second game, I kept getting a pop-up box saying I had a depth chart error due to one of my depth-chart players being inactive.

I was able to trace the problem to one player (my backup LT slot - it was blank after getting the depth chart error pop-up, and I assume the program does that to alert you to the source of the error). So I made an active RB inactive and made an inactive LT (the player I was trying to put in my depth chart) active. I double-checked my depth charts to make sure the RB I switched from active to inactive was no longer in any depth chart. My roster had 46 active and 7 inactive, and I met all of the position requirements (checked through the position distribution button from the roster screen). Everything looked good also for each of the player cards for the two players I switched. But I still got the error, concerning my backup LT slot, and when I checked the roster of the two players I switched they both had reverted back to their original active/inactive status before I made the switch. :-(

Am I misunderstanding a game mechanic, roster rules, or a combination of the two? Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? If you do not understand my explanation or need more info, just let me know.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

bulletsponge
11-20-2006, 07:40 PM
hmm sounds wierd. does it happen everytime you switch the players?

Eaglesfan27
11-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Welcome to the board.

Probably your backup LT was hurt and that is why it removed him from the depth chart. If a guy is too hurt, he can't be in the depth chart (with the exception of the 3rd QB slot.)

The only reason I can see that your change of the LT not going through is that you hit the "cancel" button on the bottom right instead of the "ok" button? I can't think of any other reason that change wouldn't go through.

perez24
11-21-2006, 04:38 AM
The only reason I can see that your change of the LT not going through is that you hit the "cancel" button on the bottom right instead of the "ok" button? I can't think of any other reason that change wouldn't go through.

That actually happens a lot to me.

OttoGott
11-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Yes, it happens everytime. The player I want to make active is not injured in any way either. Again, version 6b.

Here's the sequence:

1. I go to the roster screen for my team
2. I change a spare RB from active to inactive
3. I change the LT from inactive to active (so I still meet my 46 active and 7 inactive requirement in addition to the position requirements)
4. I exit out of the roster screen
5. I go back to the roster screen to verify my changes and everything is the way I want it (i.e., the players I switched in (2) and (3) above are the way I want them).
6. I go to the depth chart screen and put my now active LT (from (3) above) into the backup spot for LT. And I click OK.
7. I then go to the Simulate screen (after setting my remaining depth charts and game plan)
8. I click 'Simulate Week'
9. Then I get the depth chart error message saying I have an inactive player in a depth chart slot.
10. I go back to the depth chart screens and the backup LT slot is the only one empty, so I assume that is the problem position.

So...

11. I go back to check the roster screen and the RB I switched from active to inactive is now back to being active and the LT I switched from inactive to active is now back to being active. Errrrr.

Now last night I did some more digging around the program and I think I may be misinterpreting the meaning of one of the global game settings, specifically the "If you choose to have your scout automatically sign players, your roster will be periodically adjusted during the year. This will include contract renegotiations, but the scouts will not attempt to sign major free agents." I have this option turned on and the options for AI depth charts and game plan turned off.

I interpreted the "you choose to have your scout automatically sign players..." option to mean that if I was short a player on the active roster that the AI would JUST plug in a player to give me 46 active (not switch existing players' active/inactive status). Is this incorrect? Does the AI also change players' active/inactive statuses with this option turned on? If so, then my problem is probably being caused by me having this option on (i.e., the AI is setting my active roster for me) and the AI is just reversing my above switch.

So do I need to have all three of the above options turned off to have full control of determining my active roster? And if I have both the AI depth chart and game plan options turned off but the AI fill my roster option on, then I'm stuck with only using the players the AI sets as active to use to set my depth charts?

Sorry for the long post, and I appreciate everyone's help so far.

Cheers

OttoGott
11-21-2006, 07:44 PM
(removed double posting of my previous message)

OttoGott
11-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Thank you for the welcome.

No, my LT was not injured in any way and I did hit the 'OK' button on the depth chart screen.

I gave a further description of my problem in this post (my original post was posted twice for some reason, sorry)

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=54472

Thanks

JeeberD
11-21-2006, 07:51 PM
I went ahead and merged the two threads...no reason to have two of them out there. Gets kinda confusing.

OttoGott
11-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks JeeberD! I was hoping someone would do that. :-D

sabotai
11-21-2006, 07:57 PM
I interpreted the "you choose to have your scout automatically sign players..." option to mean that if I was short a player on the active roster that the AI would JUST plug in a player to give me 46 active (not switch existing players' active/inactive status). Is this incorrect? Does the AI also change players' active/inactive statuses with this option turned on? If so, then my problem is probably being caused by me having this option on (i.e., the AI is setting my active roster for me) and the AI is just reversing my above switch.

It's possible that's causing the problem. I never have that option on, unless I'm simming a year, so I don't know if that's the problem or not. Turn it off and see if that works. That's the only thing I can think of that would be causing that.

Shkspr
11-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Otto, the AI does appear to handle the inactive/active decisionmaking as part of the signing players global, and not as part of the depth chart global as I intuitively expected. It is entirely possible that the computer needs the authority to change the active roster status of players to correctly handle in-season free agency.

OttoGott
12-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the help and letting me bounce my questions off of you. The Global setting was indeed causing the problem.

Thanks again. :-)