PDA

View Full Version : You can play FOF2007 on a Mac, but..

dbd1963
11-21-2006, 10:19 AM
It has to be an Intel Mac, via Parallels. And there will still be problems.

1. If you have already made your virtual hard drive and it's too small, you will hit the limit and the whole computer will crash. It's true that Parallels has a dynamic-sized HD thing going on, but you still have to choose an absolute upper limit. I've chosen 8GB, and that wasn't enough, even with hardly anything else on the HD. Windows XP does take up a lot of space, at least 1.5GB I've heard. I'm sure that FOF2007 doesn't take 6.5GB, so I suspect there is either something rather large hidden on my (virtual) HD or Parallels isn't quite working correctly. I do know that the size of the swap file has to be taken into account, so..

(There is a way to make your HD larger, but it's complicated and the one time I tried it, I didn't do it right. I'll be trying again shortly and keep you all advised about what I find out. Please be on the lookout for this extremely important update..)

2. The game is subject to slow redraws, even after the 6.0b update. Some of this may be due to the fact that my HD is too small, but I'm not convinced of that.

3. Apparently, you can't make a printer "print to file" UPDATE -- yes you can. For some reason, the "print to file" option wasn't there the first time I did it, but following Yabanci's instructions from 2003, it worked just fine. I must've done something wrong the first time.

Otherwise, FOF2007 runs fine on an Intel Mac via Parallels.

stevew
11-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Which specific model are you running? I was thinking of getting an Imac at some point, although I would be concerned that it wouldn't have the power to run windows stuff effectively.

dbd1963
11-21-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a MacBook Pro 15".

wade moore
11-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Others have posted running it without any problems at all, i'll try to find the thread.