PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stone

sabotai
12-30-2006, 02:50 PM
It's time for another thread on this, right?

One of my resolutions for New Year's is to learn some foreign languages (over the course of several years, obviously). I figured I would start with German. I took German for a few years in high school, I still remember a few phrases (Guten Tag, Auf Wiedersahen, Danke, Auchtung) as well as some grammer and spelling points, but for the most part, the language is lost for me. However, since I still know the very basics, it should be an easier language for me to pick up and will give me an idea of how much effort will go into self-learning a language.

I know we have had threads on this software, Rosetta Stone, in the past. I've read elsewhere about it and the reviews for the product are mixed in places.

It's also pretty pricey. I have also read about Pimsleur, but that's even more expensive. I was wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives to Rosetta. I am serious about learning new languages, and if the consensus is "Nothing else comes close to Rosetta or Pimsluer, choose one of those if you're serious." then fine, I will. I just want to make sure I consider my options.

Also, with Rosetta, is there any major differences between the software and the online versions? Does the software come with any materials that you don't get with the online subscription? Also, has anyone tried the demo CD? How far does it go into it, or is it the same as the online demo?

Celeval
12-30-2006, 03:10 PM
I haven't tried the online demo. The Demo CD is decent - it has a few lessons for all of a slew of languages. From talking to people who have used the full thing, it's pretty representative.

Coffee Warlord
12-30-2006, 04:10 PM
I got the German for christmas, as a matter of fact.

Haven't gotten very far into it, but it seems to me that it's pretty useful.

...Though I'm wondering if the Germans have some sort of weird fetish for Horses and Airplanes. :)

Peregrine
12-30-2006, 04:11 PM
I haven't tried it but some people I know gave it very high marks. It's definitely expensive though.

MacroGuru
12-30-2006, 04:33 PM
I have the Spanish version and I have been working with it since about Christmas Eve, I am liking it alot.

Cringer
12-30-2006, 10:34 PM
...Though I'm wondering if the Germans have some sort of weird fetish for Horses and Airplanes. :)

It's not just Germans, but latin american spanish speaking people too. :D

sabotai
12-31-2006, 01:31 AM
Has anyone tried or heard about the "Tell Me More" series?

http://www.auralog.com/

AgustusM
12-31-2006, 12:54 PM
I have the on-line subscription to the Italian version and I am enjoying it - easiest way I have ever tried learning a new language.

stevew
09-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Bumping-
I'm going to have to take 8 semester hours of a foreign language, which is something like 2500 dollars. Rosetta stone is about 550 dollars. Has anyone used this program in order to challenge the foreign language competency requirement test at a college? If I can pass the test, I don't have to spend all that time in class.