PDA

View Full Version : HBO meet George RR Martin

Bee
01-17-2007, 05:57 AM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Didn't see this reported here yet and figured some of you might enjoy the news as much as I did.

I love the fact that each book would be a season long. That's the only way to do it justice IMO.

wade moore
01-17-2007, 06:17 AM
Well crap...

HBO might have finally cracked me as a subscriber when this starts airing.

JonInMiddleGA
01-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Drat. I was hoping to check the link & see that they had made the Wildcards anthology into a series.

WSUCougar
01-17-2007, 07:21 AM
Ooooooooooooo...

ISiddiqui
01-17-2007, 07:26 AM
HOLY SHIT... this kicks ass!!

kurtism
01-17-2007, 07:50 AM
I am a happy man. A good excuse to keep HBO after I re-subscribe in April for the final Sopranos season!

Bad-example
01-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Sounds good. I remember being so disappointed when he sold the rights to his outstanding novella Sandkings and it ended up on Showtime as a terrible episode of Outer Limits. With him retaining some creative control...and it being HBO...this should be great.

Honolulu_Blue
01-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Oh... my... god....

Coffee Warlord
01-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Well jesus. I have to get HBO now.

Honolulu_Blue
01-17-2007, 10:00 AM
I have the utmost faith in HBO. The Wire, Rome, Sopranos, etc, etc. We (my friend and I) have long felt that an HBO Rome-type mini-series was really the only way to ever pull this off (outside of an animated series). There are just too many characters and too much going on for a feature length film or even a trilogy of feature length films.

The obvious concern is casting. I have such a clear image in my head of how the characters look and act that it a mis-character character, especially someone like Jon Snow or Tyrion could single-handed destroy the series. The casting is made even that much more complicated given that a number of the main characters are children. I assume, and would have no problem with, that they will "bump up" many of the younger characters' ages. For example, I could live with Arya being 13-15 instead of being 9. Unless they cast actors who are older, but just look younger, they will run into the "Walt" on "Lost" problem given HBO's typical shooting schedule.

Another issue would be deciding what to cut. There are a lot of extraneous things that could be cut, but so much of what makes the books wonderful are all those layers, details, plots-within-plots, small characters who are in one scene and turn up having an impact or being important quite a bit later. This kind of depth and intruige is tough to pull off. To me, it's the main reason why "Dune" has never been successfully adapted on screen, whereas "Lord of the Rings" has.

Still, I am very excited and my jaw nearly hit my desk when I first read about this.

cschex
01-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Re: the casting of the kids. Considering that Martin has stated that he regrets not making the kids older from the beginning, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them cast/written older.

I still have reservations on the accuracy of this until it is confirmed by MArtin, but I am certainly subscribing to HBO if this is true.

wade moore
01-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Re: the casting of the kids. Considering that Martin has stated that he regrets not making the kids older from the beginning, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them cast/written older.

I've read the books but haven't read up on any interviews with Martin or anything. I always felt that some of the characters were too young for how they were portrayed, so it wouldn't bother me at all to see the kids bumped up in age.

ISiddiqui
01-17-2007, 11:21 AM
This is best possible way that the Song of Ice and Fire comes to the screen. The books have way too much stuff to condense them into a 3 hour movie. 12, 1 hour episodes per book will allow for a great treatment of the books. And Martin is intimately involved in the project, so it won't go off into 'crazy plot changes land'. And HBO has the money to give the books the treatment they deserve.

Eaglesfan27
01-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Despite all of my intentions to read the books, I had a very hard time getting through the 1st book. Perhaps, it is because I started reading the 1st one after Katrina and was just too distracted to focus on it. Whatever the cause, I never got back into it until recently when I re-read the 1st half of the book and then the 2nd half of the 1st book really "caught my attention." Since then, I've been reading 1-3 chapters every night trying to savor them and am midway through the 2nd book. This will be a must watch series for me.

wade moore
01-17-2007, 11:55 AM
This is best possible way that the Song of Ice and Fire comes to the screen. The books have way too much stuff to condense them into a 3 hour movie. 12, 1 hour episodes per book will allow for a great treatment of the books. And Martin is intimately involved in the project, so it won't go off into 'crazy plot changes land'. And HBO has the money to give the books the treatment they deserve.

An added thought...

A TV Series would really work well with Martin's style... he could flip from character to character/place to place between episodes... something you just couldn't do as well in a movie...

JAG
01-17-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm amazed that this is happening, but I think it's great news.

Coder
01-17-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm still in shock.. good shock.. this is just wonderful news.

cschex
01-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Despite all of my intentions to read the books, I had a very hard time getting through the 1st book. Perhaps, it is because I started reading the 1st one after Katrina and was just too distracted to focus on it. Whatever the cause, I never got back into it until recently when I re-read the 1st half of the book and then the 2nd half of the 1st book really "caught my attention." Since then, I've been reading 1-3 chapters every night trying to savor them and am midway through the 2nd book. This will be a must watch series for me.

Heh, I dare you to try to constrain yourself to 1-3 chapters when you get into A Storm of Swords. That book is the best fantasy novel ever written, IMO, and utterly captivating.

Bee
01-17-2007, 12:33 PM
The news took me by surprise especially since yesterday I saw that Sci-Fi Channel was making a mini-series out of a Neal Stephenson novel. I wonder what sci-fi/fantasy book gets picked up tomorrow? :D

BrianD
01-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Heh, I dare you to try to constrain yourself to 1-3 chapters when you get into A Storm of Swords. That book is the best fantasy novel ever written, IMO, and utterly captivating.

I disagree with this pretty completely. I've read all the books (or listened to them from Audible), and as much as I want to love the series, I just don't. There is lots of politics and intrigue, which is great, but the story really lacks from any sense of a story line. It is like reading history books where you get a good broad view of what is going on, and the context in which things are happening, but there isn't a central story to follow...just a bunch of side-plots which are intended to be the real plot. It also doesn't help that after 3 books, I can't tell who the story is supposed to be about. There are plenty of important characters, but not really any main characters. Every time I think I identify a "main" character, that character dies. All of the incest and rape gets a little old as well.

wade moore
01-17-2007, 12:46 PM
I disagree with this pretty completely. I've read all the books (or listened to them from Audible), and as much as I want to love the series, I just don't. There is lots of politics and intrigue, which is great, but the story really lacks from any sense of a story line. It is like reading history books where you get a good broad view of what is going on, and the context in which things are happening, but there isn't a central story to follow...just a bunch of side-plots which are intended to be the real plot. It also doesn't help that after 3 books, I can't tell who the story is supposed to be about. There are plenty of important characters, but not really any main characters. Every time I think I identify a "main" character, that character dies. All of the incest and rape gets a little old as well.

I'm going to say this without intending it to be mean at all..

This tells me that this series is not for you because you don't "get it"... Everything you've mentioned as a negative is part of what makes the book great to me. The fact that it's not your standard "hero A with sidekicks B, C, and D go on Adventure X to save the world".

Not for all people, as shown by your post, but this just tells me you're not the right audience for this book.

Coder
01-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Everything you've mentioned as a negative is part of what makes the book great to me. The fact that it's not your standard "hero A with sidekicks B, C, and D go on Adventure X to save the world".

Have to side with Wade on this.. This is one of the main reasons Martin's books stand out.. while I've read several good stories over the year, these books have PERSONALITY as well.. Martin reels you in, then kicks your ass, only to have you come back for more..

Honolulu_Blue
01-17-2007, 12:58 PM

This tells me that this series is not for you because you don't "get it"... Everything you've mentioned as a negative is part of what makes the book great to me. The fact that it's not your standard "hero A with sidekicks B, C, and D go on Adventure X to save the world".

Not for all people, as shown by your post, but this just tells me you're not the right audience for this book.

I agree.

There are plenty of fantasy series that follow the standard plot/narrative. Dozens, probably hundreds of them out there. This one doesn't. I love that about this series. I love that characters die in the middle of their "story", I love how your perspective on a certain character changes wildly depending on, well, whose perspective you happen to be reading. I love the fact that I really don't know what the grand plot/story is. I have a few ideas of what the over-arching plot will be and who will turn out to be the "major" players in it, but I'm not 100% sure and part of the joy is trying to figure out what role each of the characters will have in it.

I can see where BrianD's complaints could gain a little more traction after "A Feast For Crows" (though I still loved the book), but the first three books together, for the most part, seemed to have a central story: the war in Westeros. Other than Dany and Jon, pretty much all of the characters' focus was on the war.

It's hard for me to be too objective. I've read/listened to each book at least twice (some three times). I've spent countless hours discussing the books and different theories with friends. I feel very "in tune" with the entire world Martin has created and have dozens of theories of what's going to happen.

ISiddiqui
01-17-2007, 01:03 PM

Ditto. I love the fact that the "main characters" kick the bucket. I love the fact that it isn't about just one person, but various people's views on the situation. The story isn't supposed to be about any ONE person. It's supposed to be about what is going on and how different folks view that. The books show that the world isn't all pretty and good vs. evil and one central story arc. The world is in shades of grey (cliche, I know, but go with me here) and different people's views on different topics.

I really enjoyed the politics and intrigue and would probably get all the books based on the stuff that was going on in the 1st half of "A Game of Thrones" (1st book). But the stuff in the 2nd half of AGoT and the 'surprise' (you know what I'm talking about) really made me into a complete fan. I loved that Martin had to balls to do stuff like that and its continued. So you never know what will happen and it keeps you on your toes.

I also loved in Book 3 (Storm of Swords) when he adds the viewpoint that was least expected to be added. The world and history are about different views on the same events. There is no central story; there is no uncontestable truth about the past. These books attempts to show this in a brilliant way, with an addictive story.

cschex
01-17-2007, 01:10 PM
What they said.

Also, the "incest and rape" is a standard complaint by people who criticize the series, but Martin's depicting a war-ravaged medieval setting in which, in our world, raping and pillaging happened ALL THE TIME. Martin doesn't write excessive rape scenes unlike some *cough*Goodkind*cough* but he doesn't gloss over it either. It wouldn't fit with the tone of the series. There are plenty of fantasy series that give you a nice, clean sanitized version of a war between good and evil. The fact that this one doesn't is one of the reason's it is great.

As for the incest, it happens between two characters (and only twice on screen), except for the historical dynasty which again is not uncommon in the history of this world. You make it sound like every character is having sex with their sibling or parent.

DaddyTorgo
01-17-2007, 01:44 PM
wait, so without reading the thread? is this confirmed? cuz if so then i'm getting nerd-wood

DaddyTorgo
01-17-2007, 01:45 PM
yeah. this will have me getting HBO again, for sure

JeeberD
01-17-2007, 01:59 PM
With all the drooling going on it sounds like I may have to pick up this series. I've always heard good things about it but have never got around to reading it...

ISiddiqui
01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
I still have reservations on the accuracy of this until it is confirmed by MArtin, but I am certainly subscribing to HBO if this is true.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

12:20pm: HBO Options A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE
Yes, it's true.

Yes, this is the Big News that I have been hinting at.

No, the Big News was not the pizza crawl, or the delivery of the new WILD CARDS book, though of course I'm excited about those as well.

VARIETY broke the story this morning. Instead of rehashing what they said, let me just point all of you toward:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795<WBR>7532.html?categoryid=14&cs=1 (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532.html?categoryid=14&cs=1)

I've already gotten close to a hundred emails this morning, just off the VARIETY article. I expect that number will have swollen to several hundred before the day is out. I appreciate all the good wishes and congratulations, but I am NOT going to be able to respond to all of you individually.

I will be making my own announcement on my news page, of course, and that may answer some of your questions, but I haven't actually written it yet, so please be patient.

I appreciate all the casting suggestions too, but guys, you're getting way way WAY ahead of yourselves. Developing a television series is a long and time-consuming process, and we're just getting started here. We only closed the deal a couple of days ago.

I will do my best to keep everyone informed as the project progresses, but this is not something you will be telling TIVO to record next week.

This might be a great time to subscribe to HBO, however. Regardless of what happens with A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, HBO still has the best shows on television, shows like DEADWOOD, THE WIRE, and THE SOPRANOS that stand head and shoulders above anything on the networks. The second season of ROME just started last Sunday, and it's fabulous; the look of it, the writing, the directing, the acting, all of it is first rate. That's why I have been saying for years that HBO was the perfect place for A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

Galaril
01-17-2007, 03:47 PM
http://grrm.livejournal.com/

12:20pm: HBO Options A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE
Yes, it's true.

Yes, this is the Big News that I have been hinting at.

No, the Big News was not the pizza crawl, or the delivery of the new WILD CARDS book, though of course I'm excited about those as well.

VARIETY broke the story this morning. Instead of rehashing what they said, let me just point all of you toward:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795<WBR>7532.html?categoryid=14&cs=1 (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532.html?categoryid=14&cs=1)

I've already gotten close to a hundred emails this morning, just off the VARIETY article. I expect that number will have swollen to several hundred before the day is out. I appreciate all the good wishes and congratulations, but I am NOT going to be able to respond to all of you individually.

I will be making my own announcement on my news page, of course, and that may answer some of your questions, but I haven't actually written it yet, so please be patient.

I appreciate all the casting suggestions too, but guys, you're getting way way WAY ahead of yourselves. Developing a television series is a long and time-consuming process, and we're just getting started here. We only closed the deal a couple of days ago.

I will do my best to keep everyone informed as the project progresses, but this is not something you will be telling TIVO to record next week.

This might be a great time to subscribe to HBO, however. Regardless of what happens with A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, HBO still has the best shows on television, shows like DEADWOOD, THE WIRE, and THE SOPRANOS that stand head and shoulders above anything on the networks. The second season of ROME just started last Sunday, and it's fabulous; the look of it, the writing, the directing, the acting, all of it is first rate. That's why I have been saying for years that HBO was the perfect place for A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

I have to go change my shorts and smoke a cigarette:)

st.cronin
01-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Like Doc, I was never able to get through much of Book 1. I may give it another go at some point.

ctmason
01-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Drat. I was hoping to check the link & see that they had made the Wildcards anthology into a series.

I'm with you Jon, I read those too.

lordscarlet
01-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Like Doc, I was never able to get through much of Book 1. I may give it another go at some point.

I have only read book 1, and it doesn't pick up until about page 700 or so. :) I hear it gets better as the books go on.

Honolulu_Blue
01-17-2007, 05:08 PM
I have only read book 1, and it doesn't pick up until about page 700 or so. :) I hear it gets better as the books go on.

I was totally engrossed in it from the beginning. I was visiting a friend in Chicago the first day I started reading "A Game of Thrones." He had to work, so I had the day to myself. I figured I'd pop into a coffee shop, get some coffee, read a little, and then go explore his neighborhood a bit. I got to the coffee shop at around 9:30-10:00 am and didn't leave until an hour or so before my friend got home from work. I could not stop reading it.

That said, I know a lot of friends who stopped reading book one and then eventually went back, picked it up again, and ended up loving the series.

ISiddiqui
01-17-2007, 05:12 PM

Well, after page 700 or so you realize that this isn't like other fantasy books. Other fantasy books (for the most part) would not have what happened at the end of AGoT.

It makes the political intrigue and manuvering even MORE interesting (it was highly interesting prior to that to me) because you never know who gets it next as a result of that backbiting.

JonInMiddleGA
01-17-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm with you Jon, I read those too.

Thank goodness.

The lack of comment about this very entertaining series had me worried that I was the only person here with much taste ;)

Anthony
01-17-2007, 05:15 PM
this is nice to hear. the novels are just too big and daunting for me to have the motivation to start reading the series, but to have them condensed into a tv series - that i can do.

Jonathan Ezarik
01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Thank goodness.

The lack of comment about this very entertaining series had me worried that I was the only person here with much taste ;)

I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but a new Wild Cards novel is due to come out shortly.

JonInMiddleGA
01-17-2007, 05:53 PM
I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but a new Wild Cards novel is due to come out shortly.

Thanks, I actually didn't know that until earlier today while Googling (trying to make sure that I wasn't crazy & that the Martin in question was indeed the same guy).

terpkristin
01-17-2007, 06:21 PM
rawk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
tk is VERY happy :D :D :D :D :D :D

/tk

Eaglesfan27
01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
just a bunch of side-plots which are intended to be the real plot. It also doesn't help that after 3 books, I can't tell who the story is supposed to be about. There are plenty of important characters, but not really any main characters. Every time I think I identify a "main" character, that character dies. All of the incest and rape gets a little old as well.

I was shocked and pissed off when the "main" character died towards the end of book 1, but I do find myself still being drawn in.

sachmo71
01-17-2007, 07:22 PM
holy shit!

the_meanstrosity
01-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Great find Bee and definitely great news. The character of Tyrion is one of my fav's in the genre so whomever gets tasked with playing him is going to have a lot to live up to. I'm really looking forward to this especially if it's done right.

DaddyTorgo
01-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Great find Bee and definitely great news. The character of Tyrion is one of my fav's in the genre so whomever gets tasked with playing him is going to have a lot to live up to. I'm really looking forward to this especially if it's done right.

verne troyer? LOL

ISiddiqui
01-17-2007, 09:29 PM

Actually I think Michael J. Anderson (who was the dwarf on Carnivale) would be perfect for the role. He also works since he has real life experience in being a little person and incredibly smart (he worked at NASA as a computer expert). Probably knows a bit about people not thinking as highly of him (no pun intended) due to his looks.

Synovia
01-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Actually I think Michael J. Anderson (who was the dwarf on Carnivale) would be perfect for the role. He also works since he has real life experience in being a little person and incredibly smart (he worked at NASA as a computer expert). Probably knows a bit about people not thinking as highly of him (no pun intended) due to his looks.

I gotta second that. He was great. I loved Carnivale too.

To those of you who love Martin's style, and I so do, check out Steven Erikson's Malazlan books.Same sort of word stradling view with tons of interlaced stories. I think Erikson may actually do it better than Martin though.

Synovia
01-17-2007, 09:49 PM
I was shocked and pissed off when the "main" character died towards the end of book 1, but I do find myself still being drawn in.

Thats my favorite part:Martin's absolute refusal to compromise his story for the sake of saving a character. Too many authors are too attached to their characters and can't kill them off when the story demands it.

ISiddiqui
01-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Yeah, that one event really made me LOVE the story. An author that does that.. he's alright with me.

cschex
01-18-2007, 01:42 AM
I gotta second that. He was great. I loved Carnivale too.

To those of you who love Martin's style, and I so do, check out Steven Erikson's Malazlan books.Same sort of word stradling view with tons of interlaced stories. I think Erikson may actually do it better than Martin though.

Malazan Book of the Fallen is not very much like Martin, except for the fact that they are considered the two "best" epic fantasies currently ongoing. Erikson's world-building is top-notch, but his books are much more "high fantasy" than Martin's: there's more magic, infernal creatures and gods in two chapters of MBOF than in entire books of ASOIAF. Plus, Erikson's prose is...lacking to say the least. Martin has it all over him in characterization.

Not trying to diss your rec, as I have read the first 6 books and do enjoy them, but I don't think the series' are very similar at all.

Synovia
01-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Malazan Book of the Fallen is not very much like Martin, except for the fact that they are considered the two "best" epic fantasies currently ongoing. Erikson's world-building is top-notch, but his books are much more "high fantasy" than Martin's: there's more magic, infernal creatures and gods in two chapters of MBOF than in entire books of ASOIAF. Plus, Erikson's prose is...lacking to say the least. Martin has it all over him in characterization.

Not trying to diss your rec, as I have read the first 6 books and do enjoy them, but I don't think the series' are very similar at all.

I wasnt saying that theyre similar in that nature, more that the way the two tell a story is very similar. One is high fantasy, one is not, but they both share a similar style.

Fidatelo
01-18-2007, 09:50 AM
I wasnt saying that theyre similar in that nature, more that the way the two tell a story is very similar. One is high fantasy, one is not, but they both share a similar style.

I'm with cschex on this one, I've read all the Martin books and most of the first Erickson one, and I don't see much similarity at all to be honest.

Honolulu_Blue
01-18-2007, 09:10 PM
More from Martin's website:

<center>HBO OPTIONS ICE & FIRE </center> January 18, 2007
Now it can be told. VARIETY broke the story yesterday morning, and it's all over the web. I have received hundreds of emails since the announcement went public, many of them asking, "Is it true?" Other readers have posted comments and congratulations in reply to my confirmation on my Live Journal.
Yes, it's true. Winter is coming to HBO.
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/gallery/art/thrones01-t.jpg Home Box Office has acquired an option on the television and film rights to my fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire, in hopes of bringing the story to television as an original, ongoing HBO series. We have been working out the details for months, but the deal is finally done and the pieces are in place, so it's official.
I won't rehash the details of the announcement in VARIETY. Go HERE (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532.html?categoryid=14&cs=1) and you can read the story for yourself.
The executive producers and showrunners on the project will be David Benioff and D. B. Weiss. Benioff and Weiss will also be writing the pilot script, and -- assuming that HBO eventually greenlights the series -- most of the episodes as well. This will be the first television project for them, but both have experience in novels as well as feature films. David Benioff is the author of the novel The 25th Hour (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000IOELOY/ref=ase_georrmar/) and the collection When the Nines Roll Over: and Other Stories (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0452286646/ref=ase_georrmar/). His screenwriting credits include Troy, Stay, and The 25th Hour, and the forthcoming film versions of Wolverine and The Kite Runner. Dan Weiss has written the novel Lucky Wander Boy (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0452283949/ref=ase_georrmar/) and the screen adaptations for the forthcoming films Halo, based on the videogame, and Pattern Recognition, from the William Gibson story. He and Benioff also worked together on the screenplay for Ender's Game, adapting the novel by Orson Scott Card.
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/gallery/art/kings01-t.jpg I met David and Dan in California last fall, when I was out for LACon, and we discussed the show over a long lunch (the restaurant was packed when we arrived, and completely empty when we left, and the waiters had started setting up for dinner). They impressed the hell out of me, and I'm really looking forward to working with them. They're both bright, passionate, enthusiastic. They know the books inside and out, they get the books, and they're committed to bringing my story to your television screens... not a vaguely similar story with the same title (ala Earthsea, or what passed for same on the Sci-Fi Channel). A Song of Ice and Fire should be in very good hands.
As for my own involvement, I'll be scripting one episode per season. I'll also serve as co-executive producer on the show, along with Vince Gerardis and Ralph Vicinanza of Created By, and Guymon Casady of Management 360. I have already had a number of emails asking why I am not writing more of the scripts myself. Three big reasons: A Dance With Dragons, The Winds of Winter, A Dream of Spring. As much as I'd like to be a part of the show on a daily basis, as I once was on The Twilight Zone and Beauty and the Beast, the novels take priority. David Benioff and Dan Weiss are very talented writers, but even they can't adapt a book that hasn't been written.
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/gallery/art/swords01-t.jpg I am thrilled to be in business with HBO as well. For years now, the very best drama on television has been found on Sunday nights, in HBO's original series. TV does not get much better than The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Big Love, Carnivale, The Wire, Deadwood... and my current favorite addiction, Rome. (If you're not watching the second season right now, you're missing the best show on television). Writing, directing, acting, set design, production values... everything on an HBO show is quality, and that's what I have dreamed of for A Song of Ice and Fire.
It was only a month or two after A Game of Thrones was first published in 1996 that I received the first query about film and television rights. Nothing ever came of it. Over the years, as the series grew more popular with every subsequent book, I received a steady stream of such queries from producers, directors, screenwriters, studios, and others in the industry. Nothing ever came of them either. Meanwhile, my readers kept asking if A Song of Ice and Fire would ever be filmed. My answer was always the same. While I was always willing to listen to offers, I did not see how the books could be made into a feature film, or even a trilogy of such films, like Lord of the Rings. The novels were simply too big and too complex, and to make the sort of deep cuts that would be necessary to get them down to feature length would have required losing nine-tenths of the characters and three-quarters of the plot. The only way to dramatize a story that size, I felt, was as a television miniseries (like Roots or Shogun) or, better still, a series of series, with each novel providing a full season's worth of episodes.
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/gallery/art/crows01-t.jpg That is precisely what HBO intends to do, starting with A Game of Thrones. With twelve hours to devote to each of the novels, rather than the two to three that a feature film would allow, we should be able to present a faithful dramatization of the story that will please both my own readers, and HBO subscribers who have never read a fantasy novel in their lives.
A television series does not spring up full blown overnight, of course. You won't be watching A Game of Thrones on HBO next week, or telling TIVO to record it next month. There's a long and winding road ahead of us, and many pitfalls along the way... but every journey begins with a first step, and who knows? Maybe next year time you'll be seeing Tyrion and Dany and Jon Snow in those HBO promo spots, mixing and mingling with Tony Soprano, Al Swearengen, and Titus Pullo.

DaddyTorgo
01-18-2007, 09:16 PM
NERD WOOD!

Anthony
01-18-2007, 09:20 PM
i like that this geek-master loves Rome. i will certainly watch this series.

cschex
01-18-2007, 11:43 PM
I hope to god they get the Mountain That Rides right. And his brother. Seeing the Clegane boys in all of their sadistic glory on the silver screen will be awesome.

Other things I'm pumped about: Flashback sequences, mainly the Battle of the Trident and the Tower of Joy. *fanboy drool*

Thomkal
01-19-2007, 07:22 AM
I have a hard time enjoying film/tv adaptations of fantasy novels. Since I already know what's going to happen, it takes some of the enjoyment out of it for me.

Definitely good news for AGOT fans though, and should I still have HBO when it comes out, I'll probably be watching. :)

terpkristin
04-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Preview was tonight. Wow, goosebumps!

I got HBO just for this.

/tk

Honolulu_Blue
04-03-2011, 08:20 PM
I just ordered HBO on Friday.

First 15 minutes looked great.

terpkristin
04-03-2011, 08:21 PM
I just ordered HBO on Friday.

First 15 minutes looked great.

Saturday for me. And totally agreed.

/tk

Chief Rum
04-03-2011, 08:42 PM
I am moving shortly. When I restart my cable up at the new place, HBO will be ordered. Just for this. lol.

DaddyTorgo
04-03-2011, 09:04 PM
watching the preview in a couple hours...can't wait!

Matthean
04-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Martin has nearly finished the fifth installment, but won't complete the seven-book cycle until 2011

Heh.

DaddyTorgo
04-04-2011, 09:21 AM
That preview gave me wood. I can't wait.

cschex
04-04-2011, 10:13 AM
The Stark kids look great, especially Bran and Arya. I thought the Others (White Walkers) were much more horror-like than I had imagined, but I like that. Visually, it looked very good. I'm really excited for this.

Honolulu_Blue
04-04-2011, 10:19 AM
The Stark kids look great, especially Bran and Arya. I thought the Others (White Walkers) were much more horror-like than I had imagined, but I like that. Visually, it looked very good. I'm really excited for this.

I agree about the Others. I always imagined them looking sort of cold, white and elegant. Terrifying, yes, but less monstrous than what was depicted. And they looked awfully "black" for White Walkers, but still, I am fine with it. The "undead kid", with those eyes, looked terrifying.