PDA

View Full Version : Werewolf Ethics

Abe Sargent
01-30-2007, 01:32 AM
I thought between the big games might be a good time to post a thread. I wanted to discuss various ethical issues that may arise in WW games, and what you guys think are the right call in certain circumstances. We've had ethical issues before (what happens if I cam pm'd in game by someone who can't do that, what happens if I am included on a pm accidetally from the other side, how far can gentle harassing and abuse go before its too far, etc).

I know I have a blanket moral law I personally stand by, and I wanted to mention it here:

No matter what is happening in game, no matter what team I am on, I never, ever lie about real life stuff.

I can lie about anything in game, but making up stories about being sick, going to work, and so forth is, for me personally, outside the boundaries.

What other thoughts do you folks have?

saldana
01-30-2007, 05:56 AM
i like that law, and although i never made is part of my official werewolf creedo, i have always abided by it.

Schmidty
01-30-2007, 06:36 AM
No offense, but I don't see the preachy point of this point. Good, honest people, are honest. Dishonest people are dishonest by nature. No post about ethics, or etiquette is going to make a "bad" person into a "good" person.

Who's going to say, "You know what - I'm going to change my ways because I'm a cheating, unpleasant jackass, and now I see the light." No. Everyone, even the dishonest jerks, is going to say, "I'm honest, and we need everyone to be honest!!!".

I guess what I'm saying is that you, or whoever, can stand at the pulpit, preach ethics and come up with more rules, but it won't do a damned bit of good. Character is how a person chooses to act when nobody's looking, and no matter what rules are in place, a person with bad character is going to cheat and lie with an seemingly honest smile on their face.

I just got off work, and I'm tired and cynical right now.

RPI-Fan
01-30-2007, 06:41 AM
No offense, but I don't see the preachy point of this point. Good, honest people, are honest. Dishonest people are dishonest by nature. No post about ethics, or etiquette is going to make a "bad" person into a "good" person.

Who's going to say, "You know what - I'm going to change my ways because I'm a cheating, unpleasant jackass, and now I see the light." No. Everyone, even the dishonest jerks, is going to say, "I'm honest, and we need everyone to be honest!!!".

I guess what I'm saying is that you, or whoever, can stand at the pulpit, preach ethics and come up with more rules, but it won't do a damned bit of good. Character is how a person chooses to act when nobody's looking, and no matter what rules are in place, a person with bad character is going to cheat and lie with an seemingly honest smile on their face.

There are a lot of times where it really is a question of the concensus opinion as opposed to "good" or "bad" character. (e.g. is it Ok to check the Who's Online list?)

Raiders Army
01-30-2007, 07:23 AM

I disagree. I think that peer pressure can do a lot in the game. If we all abide by the rules, even a dishonest person is going to play honestly because of peer pressure.

Schmidty
01-30-2007, 08:49 AM
I disagree. I think that peer pressure can do a lot in the game. If we all abide by the rules, even a dishonest person is going to play honestly because of peer pressure.

I disagree with that. A rat is a rat. Pretending to bow to peer pressure is one thing, actually following through is another.

From what I've seen, negative peer pressure is the only kind that actually work.

Off to bed. For reals,

hoopsguy
01-30-2007, 09:50 AM
I don't think the conversation necessarily should be limited to "good people" vs "bad people". Hopefully the vast majority of the people who play here have the best of intentions to play the game the right way. Confusion does sometimes emerge over what is considered ethical play.

Example - Dodgerchick had a run on her in Day 1 in a game because she alluded to PM'ing another player. Obviously communication between players about the game is expressly forbidden (if they are not both wolves) but does that mean that you cannot communicate with FOFC people at all during the game? What is the ethical answer to a question like this?

Lathum
01-30-2007, 09:54 AM
I don't think the conversation necessarily should be limited to "good people" vs "bad people". Hopefully the vast majority of the people who play here have the best of intentions to play the game the right way. Confusion does sometimes emerge over what is considered ethical play.

Example - Dodgerchick had a run on her in Day 1 in a game because she alluded to PM'ing another player. Obviously communication between players about the game is expressly forbidden (if they are not both wolves) but does that mean that you cannot communicate with FOFC people at all during the game? What is the ethical answer to a question like this?

I think the issue was that DC was gonna PM DT to remind him to check on the game. I personaly don't mind this but I can see how someone could look down on this action.

Tyrith
01-30-2007, 10:14 AM
I've had the same thought as Anxiety more than once recently. And I completely agree with him now, too.

Alan T
01-30-2007, 10:16 AM
I think many of us have become online friends from playing in these games together over time, so I am sure many of us IM or PM with each other throughout the week about all kinds of topics ranging from Tom Brady to Titan Quest to Teacher qualifications in dual-immersion schools. If we end up in a game together with one of our friends whom we PM or IM with, I don't think anyone expects you to totally cut off communication with each other. This also is the case for people who are RL friends such as Saldana and Lathum, or couples like Goldeneagle and LSG.

I would assume we all want to keep the games fair and fun though, so we all know better to keep our conversations via IM, PM, RL or whatever with these people to non-game discussions though. I didn't think anything bad about DC saying she was going to remind Daddy about the game.

I think Schmidty is right that cheaters will always find ways to try to cheat.. its just who they are, but I hope we have a community of people who enjoy playing the game to have fun, and not necessarily "win". I don't remember who won every game I ever played in, but I remember alot of the fun moments from those games.

hoopsguy
01-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Lathum, that is kind of the point of an ethics thread - to pose questions where intelligent people who want to play the game the right way can discuss content that might have shades of gray.

Here is another one - as the moderator of the last game I frequently had AIM discussions with players as they deliberated on their actions. I made strenuous efforts not to reveal any kind of information that would aid them in their process or give details about the game that they should not be privy to, but does this line of communication create an unfair advantage? Does the fact that my AIM info is publically available with my FOFC account matter when evaluating this question?

path12
01-30-2007, 10:22 AM
I just assume that everyone is honest. I mean, really, it's a game -- and although it is fun to win, the fact is that you're going to lose/die more often in WW than not. I guess I just don't understand someone who would take this seriously enough to cheat.

That said, it is a game where you have to lie at times, and I think Anxiety's original thought is a good one -- the lies should remain in game only.

Alan T
01-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Lathum, that is kind of the point of an ethics thread - to pose questions where intelligent people who want to play the game the right way can discuss content that might have shades of gray.

Here is another one - as the moderator of the last game I frequently had AIM discussions with players as they deliberated on their actions. I made strenuous efforts not to reveal any kind of information that would aid them in their process or give details about the game that they should not be privy to, but does this line of communication create an unfair advantage? Does the fact that my AIM info is publically available with my FOFC account matter when evaluating this question?

I would assume that it doesn't really give an unfair advantage. As you know this game, even though I have your and Tyrith's AIM info, I probably PM'd back and forth about 10 times trying to understand things to do with my passive abilities and such. In the end, I ended up just IMing stuff instead as PMs get tedious to ask questions. I personally doubt that I would ask questions over IM that I wouldn't ask over PM though. I don't have any problems PMing questions when I have them. I just leave it up to the GM of the game to determine if they should be answered or not. Same thing happens to my AIM questions, I leave it in their hands how to answer the questions.

Lorena
01-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Honesty is a really big thing with me and the more games I play, the more I'm changing my style in an effort to not blatanly lie in the event I'm finally a wolf.

As far as the IM message to DT, I was a little taken aback because those whom I talk to on a regular basis know that I would never do anything to gain advantage and I'm sorry if some thought of it as cheating.

But no, I never lie about real life stuff, I think that's out of bounds.

Alan T
01-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Honesty is a really big thing with me and the more games I play, the more I'm changing my style in an effort to not blatanly lie in the event I'm finally a wolf.

As far as the IM message to DT, I was a little taken aback because those whom I talk to on a regular basis know that I would never do anything to gain advantage and I'm sorry if some thought of it as cheating.

But no, I never lie about real life stuff, I think that's out of bounds.

I tend to be really honest as a wolf. Sometimes too honest. :)

path12
01-30-2007, 11:24 AM

I'm honest to a fault in real life. But I played Diplomacy via email for years before I ever started playing WW, so I became well-versed in the idea of in-game deception..... ;) Also, sometimes if you don't want to flat out lie omission can be your friend......

st.cronin
01-30-2007, 11:45 AM
- I don't think it is unethical to lie during a werewolf game, since I think in most cases no actual advantage is gained. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't think of a case where this happened. I don't do it, myself, since I don't see any advantage.

- I have pmed players when in a game about stuff that had nothing to do with the game. I think that's fine, as well. There is an obvious line there. If I'm playing a game with Blade, and he pms me to ask about ski slopes in Santa Fe, that's fine. If he pms me to ask if I think Lathum is a wolf, that's obviously not fine.

LoneStarGirl
01-30-2007, 09:14 PM
I think Werewolf Ethics is an oxymoron.

Schmidty
01-30-2007, 09:46 PM
I think Werewolf Ethics is an oxymoron.

I like you.

LoneStarGirl
01-30-2007, 09:56 PM
I like you.

I have always had a thing for green hairy men

Lathum
01-31-2007, 12:13 AM
I think things like looking to see who is online at certain times is unethical. In regards to peoples relationships they are just gonna have to be trusted. Sal and I have never talked about the game unless it is something one of us has posted and I have never seen any indication GE and LSG have violated any laws of ethics. I frequently aim alan, DC, barkeep, hoops and others. I think it is asking alot for people to cut off communication because of the game

Schmidty
01-31-2007, 12:17 AM
PEOPLE AIM PEOPLE? WHY HULK GET NO AIM???!!!!!!!!!

HULK SAYS, GO TO HELL!!!!!!!

Lathum
01-31-2007, 12:20 AM
PEOPLE AIM PEOPLE? WHY HULK GET NO AIM???!!!!!!!!!

HULK SAYS, GO TO HELL!!!!!!!

dude, because you're a wanker :D

Abe Sargent
01-31-2007, 12:22 AM
Now here's an ethical question we've had before, and it's one side that I've personally been on the opposite of many.

Do you vote to lynch a person on Day One for failure to check in.

My admittedly loose rule is to not punish a person for what may be a real life issue - not receiving a pm, somethign coming up for a day in an emergency fashion, and so forth. Now, there are extenuating circumstances, such as someone who has agreed to be in the game and posting in a bunch of other forums but not here despite several pms, but that's not the normal case.

Do you vote for the no show on Day One?

-Anxiety

Lathum
01-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Now here's an ethical question we've had before, and it's one side that I've personally been on the opposite of many.

My admittedly loose rule is to not punish a person for what may be a real life issue - not receiving a pm, somethign coming up for a day in an emergency fashion, and so forth. Now, there are extenuating circumstances, such as someone who has agreed to be in the game and posting in a bunch of other forums but not here despite several pms, but that's not the normal case.

-Anxiety

I usualy don't but I wouldn't fault anyone for doing so.

Lathum
01-31-2007, 12:28 AM

-Anxiety

I usualy don't but I wouldn't fault anyone for doing so.

Blade6119
01-31-2007, 01:27 AM
I can say that i talk with at least 8-9 people who play WW outside of WW. I have come to respect quite a few people through this game, and have great discussions with them on things ranging from politics to love to how much we all despise alan ;) .

I think communicating with other players, whether a game is going or not, is fine. Just make sure the communications arent about the game. During the last game sack and i had a rather involved discussion about an issue i was having in my real life. We were both alive, and on opposite sides, but the game never came up. It was simply a friendly conversation between two people.

I talk quite regularly to quite a few players in this forum(and former players who have not come over), and i see no ethical reason for me to stop. We know what we can talk about, and what we cant. I dont see why a WW game going on should prevent me from asking dodgerchick how her day is going or talking to ardent about his personal issues(and our co-dynastys we run sometimes).

Thats just me, but i have relationships on this board bigger then WW. I dont see why it should disrupt those

Schmidty
01-31-2007, 01:41 AM
Yes. Fuck 'em (sorry, but I like to swear, so deal)*.

It's just a game, so if something is serious enough that they can't get there, then obviously a game isn't a big deal. Which is cool. WW shouldn't be that big of a deal.

People get voted off everyday, and I guarantee that people say, "Oh, I forgive blah-blah for not being here, but......", and still vote out Blah-blah because he/she isn't there to bitch about the vote.

So just be fucking honest and vote for them, and me, out. Especially Blade. Not because he's good or bad, but because he's Blade.

*That's another thing - If I ever have to play in another game where I can't say "fuck" or "shit", or "ass", I will not play. THESE ARE EXPLETIVES PEOPLE!!!!!!!! THEY HAVE THE SAME BASIC MEANING AS "FRICK", "CRAP",and "BUTT" THEY ARE FILLERS!!!!!!! THAT'S ALL A FUCKING EXPLETIVE IS!!!!!!!! IT'S A MID-SENTENCE EXCLAIMATION POINT!!!!! IF SOMEONE APPLIES MORE MEANING TO THE WORD, THAT SHOULD BE THEIR OWN PROBLEM!!! DO THESE EXCLAIMATION POINTS AT THE END OF MY SENTENCES OFFEND YOU???? NO???? THEN THE WORD "FUCK" SHOULDN'T EITHER!!!!!!

It is so unbelievably unintelligent to confuse meaning with non-directive exclaimations. America needs to grow up. Fuck, it's ok to say "goddamn" in a PG-13 movie, but if you say "fuck", it's an R rating. What a stupid, fucking rule. One other note, if this post gets changed, I will never play again. Dictators. ;) :)

Alan T
01-31-2007, 06:39 AM

-Anxiety

I don't have any problem voting for someone who hasn't checked in. There are exceptions though. If someone says they aren't going to be there ahead of time for whatever reason, like Raiders did in Hoops game just recently, I don't go after them.

If its a case where someone is on the forums, got their PM but just hasn't checked in though, I have no problems voting for someone who isn't going to be active playing. Like Schmidty says, if something is going on in their RL, I doubt they care too much about getting voted off in a WW game.

No one likes getting voted off on day 1, the only real thing I try to do on day 1 is not vote off someone who has gotten voted off a ton recently unless they just make some bad slip up or something.

Thomkal
01-31-2007, 07:50 AM
I agree with you Anxiety about the no lying about real life stuff. Pissed me off in one game where I had a migraine and posted I wouldn't be on much that day because of it because I thought my fellow players deserved to know why I wasn't posting, and then have some of them wondering if I was making it up to protect myself. Grrrr.

I hate it when a person gets voted off on Day 1 for not posting. More than likely they didn't get a PM, had internet problems, real life issues, etc. that prevented them from posting. If they don't start posting on Day 2 though, I hope the mod is looking for a replacement or they are probably fair game for a lynching.

Alan T
01-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Like I said though, everyone hates getting voted off on day1. It stinks getting excited about a new game only to have your time in it shortened. Thats one of the biggest reasons why I often try to create a game that doesn't even have a day 1 lynch built in. No one enjoys it.

I just don't think its fair to give someone else a free pass by day 1 when they are in the off-topic section of the forum posting about things but didn't come to post in the WW thread. If someone says ahead of time that they will be gone, like Raiders just did in Hoops' game then I usually don't vote for them. (In hoops' game I even advocated for people backing off him when he got some pressure on day 2, so I am not entirely cold hearted) :)

path12
01-31-2007, 10:34 AM
I have no problem with voting someone off day 1 who hasn't checked in -- with the exception as mentioned that someone has stated in advance that they won't be there for some reason. I hate day 1 votes anyway and would rather toss mine that way then to someone who is participating in the discussion (though I tend to try and stay away from talking too much day 1).

st.cronin
01-31-2007, 01:12 PM
There are few day 1s where there is a legitimate reason to vote for anybody.

Abe Sargent
02-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Well, we had another ethical issue happen in the current big game last night. After the game, we can talk more about it

Lathum
02-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Well, we had another ethical issue happen in the current big game last night. After the game, we can talk more about it

understatement of the year

st.cronin
02-15-2007, 03:34 PM
This has been an ethically challenging game, to say the least.

Abe Sargent
02-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Bump for a full discussion, with kid gloves off, of AE's actions in this past game.

st.cronin
02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
AE's actions weren't really about ETHICS, were they? I understand people wanting to talk about what he did, but there were enormous ethical violations in this game that had nothing to do with ae. Even after the Dodgerchick revelation, I saw guests logged into the werewolf forum on a regular basis, especially at night.

st.cronin
02-25-2007, 09:47 PM
dola

Also, GE referred to cheating which I don't know what he was talking about, but it surely wasn't AE.

Tyrith
02-25-2007, 09:51 PM
I think there's certainly an ethical aspect to what AE did, and my argument is very simple.

If you can't control what you're doing anymore, and you're going to make the game less fun for everyone else, you should probably excuse yourself from the game.

st.cronin
02-25-2007, 09:53 PM
I think there's certainly an ethical aspect to what AE did, and my argument is very simple.

If you can't control what you're doing anymore, and you're going to make the game less fun for everyone else, you should probably excuse yourself from the game.

I definitely agree with that. One thing to keep in mind is that at least twice before his meltdown, he tried to quit. Both times he was talked out of it.

Barkeep49
02-25-2007, 09:54 PM
I guess I'm real uncomfortable bashing on a particular person. If there are lessons that can be learned from the game, by all means let's discuss them. But clearly AE was not himself when he was removed from the game. I'm not sure there's a whole lot more to say about that, or something that we could learn as either players or GMs. Am I wrong?

Barkeep49
02-25-2007, 09:55 PM
I definitely agree with that. One thing to keep in mind is that at least twice before his meltdown, he tried to quit. Both times he was talked out of it.
He was talked out of it 1 time. The other time was a "I'll either go or Tyrith needs to go" situation. Tyrith very graciously agreed to step down in that case.

st.cronin
02-25-2007, 09:55 PM
I guess I'm real uncomfortable bashing on a particular person. If there are lessons that can be learned from the game, by all means let's discuss them. But clearly AE was not himself when he was removed from the game. I'm not sure there's a whole lot more to say about that, or something that we could learn as either players or GMs. Am I wrong?

No, I agree completely.

Lathum
02-25-2007, 10:26 PM
I have no problem discussing things but it worries me that people may " take sides"

Lathum
02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
I will say this much. I have opened over 60 new TGI Fridays restaurants as a trainer. Obviously when you are training a staff of over 100 people one thing you must do is point out peoples mistakes. Early in my career I would walk around and say " that's wrong!!" and " You're not doing it right!!" and I would wonder why the trainee's didn't like me and were reluctent to aproach me. Not only did it hinder their learning expierience but it made the enviorment less fun.

As I gained more expierience I learned it was best to ask people WHY they were doing what they were and eventually learned that 90% of the time people didn't even know they were doing something wrong. It became obvious that it was beneficial to everyone to figure out "why" they were doing something wrong then just point it out in an accusing manor.

st.cronin
02-25-2007, 10:39 PM
I will say this much. I have opened over 60 new TGI Fridays restaurants as a trainer. Obviously when you are training a staff of over 100 people one thing you must do is point out peoples mistakes. Early in my career I would walk around and say " that's wrong!!" and " You're not doing it right!!" and I would wonder why the trainee's didn't like me and were reluctent to aproach me. Not only did it hinder their learning expierience but it made the enviorment less fun.

As I gained more expierience I learned it was best to ask people WHY they were doing what they were and eventually learned that 90% of the time people didn't even know they were doing something wrong. It became obvious that it was beneficial to everyone to figure out "why" they were doing something wrong then just point it out in an accusing manor.

If this is about the way Tyrith was accused, I agree. If this is about something else, I don't know what you mean.

Lathum
02-25-2007, 10:50 PM
If this is about the way Tyrith was accused, I agree. If this is about something else, I don't know what you mean.

take it for what it is worth.

hoopsguy
02-25-2007, 11:12 PM
I really don't understand the questioning of the "Guest" access - there are guests at FOFC all the time. There are guests on the WW forum at least half of the time I am visiting.

I do think it would be an underhanded way of reading the off-limit threads in Barkeep's last game, but I believe that the vast majority of guests were people without FOFC accounts who are checking out the site rather than someone angle-shooting in this instance.

st.cronin
02-25-2007, 11:18 PM
I really don't understand the questioning of the "Guest" access - there are guests at FOFC all the time. There are guests on the WW forum at least half of the time I am visiting.

I do think it would be an underhanded way of reading the off-limit threads in Barkeep's last game, but I believe that the vast majority of guests were people without FOFC accounts who are checking out the site rather than someone angle-shooting in this instance.

That's certainly possible, and I didn't bring it up during the game (after the DC thing) partly for that reason. Also, apparently, there's no way to prevent it in the future, if a similar mechanism comes into play.

Blade6119
02-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Wasnt the issue that it wasnt a guest...both GE and ardent saw tryrith in their thread. Maybe im mistaken, but the issue wasnt over the guests in thread(which was people like DC). I didnt read after i died, so i dont know what happened to have him removed from the game. I just know of the situation that seemed to start this whole mess. And in regards to that, i think both parties handled it poorly. Ardent could have brought it up and asked without simply accusing him. Tyrith could have discussed it with him and kept it civil, instead of denying it and starting the name calling.

I will say my personal opinion of the story, in which tyrith claimed he was checking post counts in other tribes threads, is something that was against WW "ethics" for that game. Barkeep clearly said stick to your thread and the main thread, so i see no ethical reason for any player to be doing anything with other threads.

I stepped in a place i prob. shouldnt have and defended someone who most people dont think deserved it. I cant defend his later actions, whatever they were, but i do see why he and GE both were upset with tyrith and stand by my claims in that regard.

Lathum
02-25-2007, 11:31 PM
I will say my personal opinion of the story, in which tyrith claimed he was checking post counts in other tribes threads, is something that was against WW "ethics" for that game. Barkeep clearly said stick to your thread and the main thread, so i see no ethical reason for any player to be doing anything with other threads.

Barkeep went on to say he wouldn't have had a problem with people checking post counts for threads

Blade6119
02-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Barkeep went on to say he wouldn't have had a problem with people checking post counts for threads

Yes. but tyrith did that before barkeep said it...and i somewhat, to be honest, felt barkeep was rightly just tryingt to defuse the situation. Barkeep is a wonderful GM/Mod, and were lucky to have such a level headed guy

Jonathan Ezarik
02-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Yes. but tyrith did that before barkeep said it...and i somewhat, to be honest, felt barkeep was rightly just tryingt to defuse the situation. Barkeep is a wonderful GM/Mod, and were lucky to have such a level headed guy

Agreed on the comments regarding BK's general wonderfulness, but I still don't see how looking at the post counts of a thread is a violation of game ethics. It would be one thing if it was specifically stated in the rules that it wasn't allowed, but I never got the impression that it was. And honestly, what knowledge can you get from the number of posts a person has? In a normal game it can tell you something, but in a game like Survivor? I don't think it tells us anything. Especially after reading some of the Oz thread where they were just posting so they could have a higher number of posts to throw off the other tribes.

Blade6119
02-25-2007, 11:54 PM
I just felt the rules were explicit that the other threads were off-limits...whether or not you can glean any thing from the post counts is irrelevant im my mind. I felt the rules were clear, and i felt post counts were included in them. Barkeep would later say i was wrong, but im just stating what my view of the situation was

Lathum
02-26-2007, 12:09 AM
I must admit I was tempted to look at post counts in threads but wasn't sure if that violated any rules so I didn't. That being said I think both parties could have handled it better and third parties should have stayed out of it all together.

That being said I hope AE and Tyrith can bury the hatchet like others ( myself includud) have in the past.

Blade6119
02-26-2007, 12:16 AM
I must admit I was tempted to look at post counts in threads but wasn't sure if that violated any rules so I didn't. That being said I think both parties could have handled it better and third parties should have stayed out of it all together.

That being said I hope AE and Tyrith can bury the hatchet like others ( myself includud) have in the past.

Our hatchet has never been buried, my blood foe! :p

Lathum
02-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Our hatchet has never been buried, my blood foe! :p

I'll remember that when I make my day one vote next game :D

SnDvls
02-26-2007, 08:31 AM
dola

Also, GE referred to cheating which I don't know what he was talking about, but it surely wasn't AE.

this was more him being pissed he was taken out by a wolf I believe.
I picked him. At the time we had to pick from my tribe (we didn't have immunity) it was him, you, or Path I believe that weren't in the original Helsing
It was a luck of the draw (or in his case bad luck)

As Far As AE goes, and I told him in a PM, some people get too caught up in WW games and let it consume them, they need to take a break, and take a step back and then come back. I could have cared less what he posted I actually kinda just ignored it really.

Tyrith
02-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Blade, AE didn't even bother trying to do anything other than try and sentence me as a cheater before he even talked to anyone else. If you aren't willing to at least look at it from my perspective I'd much appreciate it if you would butt out.

Poli
02-26-2007, 10:04 AM
I'd like to note that 1 I'm still at work and 2 tyrith has been in my thread for the last 7 minutes.

Now he leaves. Busted, I hope he fries.

VB tags don't work here at work for some reason Wednesday. I'm getting run time errors before I can even post.

I have to click through about 8 run time errors while at work to post. Good news is I hope to be home in 3 hours time.

So, um, I get my integrity assaulted by a guy that he has to go through 8 run time errors in order just to get a post off? I must ask a few questions:

1) Have I _EVER_ done anything to make it seem like I would cheat?
2) Do you think I would be so STUPID as to do such a thing?
3) How DARE you make such a claim when you admit you are having REPEATED FLAGRANT ERRORS! For all I know you accidentally came on to OUR thread and have been watching US!

Screw you AE, screw you.

KWhit
02-26-2007, 10:19 AM
That's a pretty convenient place to stop posting what was said.

Poli
02-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Blade, AE didn't even bother trying to do anything other than try and sentence me as a cheater before he even talked to anyone else. If you aren't willing to at least look at it from my perspective I'd much appreciate it if you would butt out.

That's a pretty convenient place to stop posting what was said.

Lathum
02-26-2007, 10:30 AM
I think we need to consider this in regards to the survivor game.

What would a single person stand to gain from cheating? That person would have to come back to their tribe with this "inside information" and explain how they got it, thus outing themselve to 4-5 other people who probably wouldn't appreciate their technique.

Lathum
02-26-2007, 10:31 AM
AE- I'm not really sure what you are hinting at, if you have something to say I suggest you either say it or PM Tyrith because this has the potential to get worse before it gets better.

Poli
02-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I've probably said or quoted too much already. *Shurg*.

My point is, Tyrith went off the deep end before I did. Sure, I said, I hope he fries, but it wasn't to the extent of, "Tyrith is a low down stinking cheater, I hope he fries. I can't believe he had the nerve to cheat. How dare he come into our thread and do that!!1!"

Sentence as a cheater? He was seen in our thread by two players. In the end, he was a wolf as well. I was looking for some sort of penalty. It wasn't one of those "oops I popped in accidentally" that had happened all game.

I really wasn't completely agitated until the, "How DARE you, screw you AE, screw you" bit. That's why I added the two posts between the accusation and tyrith's take. I wasn't upset.

What upset me is he was seen in our thread, yet comes out throwing daggers at me. I mean, if you were in my shoes, you'd probably be upset as well.

Now I went overboard after what Tyrith said. I get heated, I'll admit it, especially when I know I'm right. I've apologized to all involved and even those not. I may never play this game again as a penalty. So be it.

st.cronin
02-26-2007, 10:50 AM

What would a single person stand to gain from cheating? That person would have to come back to their tribe with this "inside information" and explain how they got it, thus outing themselve to 4-5 other people who probably wouldn't appreciate their technique.

This is not a bad point, but its not automatic that cheaters would automatically want to share information with their tribe.

I actually think the Survivor game would have benefitted from some cheating. Imagine if BK had said something like "you are not allowed to read other tribe's threads - if you are caught, your tribe will suffer a penalty." I think that would have made for an interesting dynamic.

Blade6119
02-26-2007, 10:53 AM

Why dont you ask those who arent looking at things from ardents side to butt out? Ill try to stay out of this argument, but dont pretend everyone else is being totally fair here. You just dont seem to care about them because their on your side of the argument. Both sides were in the wrong in this argument, and that is what i think anyone who truly looks will see. Ive stated this a few times now, more then most of the people your not calling out.

st.cronin
02-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Both sides were in the wrong in this argument, and that is what i think anyone who truly looks will see.

QFT

Blade6119
02-26-2007, 11:01 AM

Or he could use it in discussions with his fellow wolves, seeing as how he was evil, and no normal player(even his tribe) would be all the wiser. That was what i saw it as when it went down, but i was killed before i could do anything to get him killed.

So in regards to this game, i dont think you can overlook the fact he was the head wolf in the game.

Lathum
02-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Or he could use it in discussions with his fellow wolves, seeing as how he was evil, and no normal player(even his tribe) would be all the wiser. That was what i saw it as when it went down, but i was killed before i could do anything to get him killed.

So in regards to this game, i dont think you can overlook the fact he was the head wolf in the game.

but you can apply the same concept. At some point a cheater would have to come up with how they got their information...

Lathum
02-26-2007, 11:07 AM

Honestly this statement annoys me. His role is irrelavent, Tyrith was cleared of any wrongdoing by Barkeep and the reason why he was in the thread was discovered. If some reasearch had been done prior to both parties imploding we could have avoided the whole situation. The fact he was a wolf should have no bearing.

SnDvls
02-26-2007, 11:11 AM

he was head wolf for like a day and never found another wolf. I took over for him and it took me 2 days to find a wolf so this argument can be tossed.

Blade6119
02-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Honestly this statement annoys me. His role is irrelavent, Tyrith was cleared of any wrongdoing by Barkeep and the reason why he was in the thread was discovered. If some reasearch had been done prior to both parties imploding we could have avoided the whole situation. The fact he was a wolf should have no bearing.

To you it doesnt, but in a time when sndvls confirmed for us he knew none of the other wolves, it matters to me. He was the head wolf, possibly using post counts to look for other wolves(who to target at night).

he was head wolf for like a day and never found another wolf. I took over for him and it took me 2 days to find a wolf so this argument can be tossed.

Are you kidding me...just because you took over for him after he did it doesnt mean he didnt do it. Sndvls, the fact he hadnt found a wolf and at the time had no intentions of leaving the game is where my point is coming from.

You all may not like it, and im certainly not trying to start an argument. Im just saying i believed at the time, and am still not not sure i dont believe, that he was doing things for melevolent(read: wolf) reasons.

Yes, barkeep cleared the action...i dont see how that effects his reasons for doing what he did(how i percieve them). I have never found tyrith to be a cheater, and in fact from what private conversations we have had in the past he seems to hold himself on a moral pedestal. Im just telling you how i took his actions, not trying to cause more drama. Discussion, nothing more

This is the last post i will make on this topic, i see it turning ways it doesnt need to turn.

SnDvls
02-26-2007, 11:44 AM
blade - you talked about him using it for discussion w/ his fellow wolves...my point was he didn't know how many there were, who they were, or even if he'd be around or how the game would go to see if it would stay a survivor game or ww game. He knew he was a wolf for all of one day.

I'm not defending what he or AE did I'm defending that the argument you are trying with this point isn't valid.

Abe Sargent
02-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I've probably said or quoted too much already. *Shurg*.

My point is, Tyrith went off the deep end before I did. Sure, I said, I hope he fries, but it wasn't to the extent of, "Tyrith is a low down stinking cheater, I hope he fries. I can't believe he had the nerve to cheat. How dare he come into our thread and do that!!1!"

Sentence as a cheater? He was seen in our thread by two players. In the end, he was a wolf as well. I was looking for some sort of penalty. It wasn't one of those "oops I popped in accidentally" that had happened all game.

I really wasn't completely agitated until the, "How DARE you, screw you AE, screw you" bit. That's why I added the two posts between the accusation and tyrith's take. I wasn't upset.

What upset me is he was seen in our thread, yet comes out throwing daggers at me. I mean, if you were in my shoes, you'd probably be upset as well.

Now I went overboard after what Tyrith said. I get heated, I'll admit it, especially when I know I'm right. I've apologized to all involved and even those not. I may never play this game again as a penalty. So be it.

I made your sig? Awesome!

Tyrith
02-26-2007, 12:56 PM
This has stopped being about ethics and has started being another fight about the last game. I will no longer participate in that line of discussion, because it's not making anyone feel better.

I have to apologize to Anxiety, as there is certainly a need for a discussion about the ethics of WW. However, it doesn't seem like we're really capable of having it right now.

Poli
02-26-2007, 01:28 PM
It certainly wasn't my intention to have this be about the last game. However, I think some if not most interested in this thread want to see my actions under the limelight. My responses earlier were in that regard. I simply want people to know why I did what I did.

As far as ethics, I'm ruthless as a wolf. I would have done just what Tyrith or JE did. I would push. I would accuse. I would look for damaging statements. I'd frame anyone for anything. I'll fake an emotion. I'll say I'm busy at work and the whole time be watching what happens offline. Nothing is out of bounds for me.
As a villager with no role, I find the game, eh, just a shade less interesting. I certainly have trouble figuring out who's telling the truth and who's the wolf. I'm never one of the first to be removed by a wolf. I just play to survive mostly.
As a villager with a role, I may lie a little to try and protect myself, but that's about it.

hoopsguy
02-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Interesting - I'm much more aggressive as an ordinary villager because I don't have anything of value to lose. I have a hard time maintaining that same attitude as a wolf because I have loyalties to other players - I have to think beyond my own actions more.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person who likes playing the vanilla villager role ...

Alan T
02-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Interesting - I'm much more aggressive as an ordinary villager because I don't have anything of value to lose. I have a hard time maintaining that same attitude as a wolf because I have loyalties to other players - I have to think beyond my own actions more.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person who likes playing the vanilla villager role ...

I enjoy it. But you always complain when I'm a vanilla villager Hoops!

path12
02-26-2007, 01:36 PM

I enjoy it, but if you get a bunch of them in a row it can be a little frustrating. I like variety.

st.cronin
02-26-2007, 01:39 PM

No, its actually my preferred role as well.

SnDvls
02-26-2007, 02:05 PM
No, its actually my preferred role as well.

"

Blade6119
02-26-2007, 02:06 PM
I love being a normal villager...i suck as a wolf

Poli
02-26-2007, 02:18 PM
I guess I'm in the minority. I like having a role because I feel like I can make a difference. I suck at this game in general...so being a nobody villager amplifies it.

Barkeep49
02-26-2007, 05:05 PM
As far as ethics, I'm ruthless as a wolf... I'll say I'm busy at work and the whole time be watching what happens offline.

AE, I think most of us draw the line at lying about our availability. I know I do.

And perhaps AE's willingness to seize every advantage possible is why there was some of the blow-ups that there was last game. But again let's not rehash.

I know a few others talked about it earlier in the thread, so perhaps that's the way to go. Is lying about your availability "ethical"? I think AE's suggestion that there could be a different set of ethical standards for wolves vs. villagers is interesting as well.

Blade6119
02-26-2007, 05:09 PM
I have never lied about my availability, and dont intend to begin lying about it any time soon. I will say i see no reason its unethical. I think its unethical to say your sick, or someone died, or something like that. But saying "im headed to work, so i cant talk anymore" is just one of the countless lies both villagers and wolves use to reach their goals.

I have never used it, but i have strongly considered lying about going away to see who strikes at the away foe. Wolves like to target people who cant defend themselves, and i could see that being an effective strategy.

Again, i have never and intend to remain always truthful about my availability. If i say im this or that, i am

Poli
02-26-2007, 05:10 PM
I look at it from a stand point of good guys against bad guys. For example, in my shipboard engagement tactics class (read: paintball on ship school), we were taught all of the rules of engagement type things...IE, don't shoot unless fired upon. Bad guys, on the other hand, don't have that rule. In fact, they don't have rules. If I'm a wolf, I'm a bad guy. I play by very few rules.

Poli
02-26-2007, 05:12 PM
I have never lied about my availability, and dont intend to begin lying about it any time soon. I will say i see no reason its unethical. I think its unethical to say your sick, or someone died, or something like that. But saying "im headed to work, so i cant talk anymore" is just one of the countless lies both villagers and wolves use to reach their goals.

I have never used it, but i have strongly considered lying about going away to see who strikes at the away foe. Wolves like to target people who cant defend themselves, and i could see that being an effective strategy.

Again, i have never and intend to remain always truthful about my availability. If i say im this or that, i am

I'd say I'm sick, or just swamped at work, I'd say alot of things along those lines...but major things, like say, my friend passing away last month...no way. I wouldn't go there.