PDA

View Full Version : Are we facing extincion

Lathum
05-16-2007, 08:23 AM
For the first time since skydog banished us I am afraid the games are dying. Path's game which was an awesome theme had very little interest and we are having trouble filling small games.

The thing that concerns me is it is always the same players in every game. It looked like we had some good new blood coming in but they have all seemed to dissapear and alot of the regulars haven't been around in a while.

I realize these things go in cycles, but I don't recall it getting this down.

Alan T
05-16-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm hoping it is just the weather turning nicer making people choose to be out more in their spare time right now. We've done alot of games in the past few months, and maybe people are just wanting a break!

If it slows down, then we can just slow down the games too. No need to plan games for 20+ people if we only have 10 play. Can have signup lists run until you get 8-10 or so?

DaddyTorgo
05-16-2007, 09:18 AM
i blame skydog.

and michael vick.

st.cronin
05-16-2007, 09:28 AM
I think it'll pick back up. The board has a whole has been pretty slow in the last couple of weeks.

hoopsguy
05-16-2007, 12:57 PM
I have talked with a few of the people who have joined games but haven't signed up for the last couple. I think there is a time commitment, particularly for the larger games, that is somewhat daunting. That said, I'm expecting to see a few of those people return.

Not everyone that plays werewolf gets addicted like the guys I've been seeing in the last few games. You know who you are ...

SnDvls
05-16-2007, 02:02 PM
School's out for a lot of people, work is picking up for some

it'll pick back up at some point I'm sure.

path12
05-16-2007, 02:54 PM
I have talked with a few of the people who have joined games but haven't signed up for the last couple. I think there is a time commitment, particularly for the larger games, that is somewhat daunting. That said, I'm expecting to see a few of those people return.

Not everyone that plays werewolf gets addicted like the guys I've been seeing in the last few games. You know who you are ...

Addicted? Not me. I can stop anytime I want.

OK, maybe a little.

Abe Sargent
05-16-2007, 06:45 PM
I had to really work it in order to get some players for a StarTrek small game. That's crazy.

Poli
05-16-2007, 10:38 PM

Barkeep49
05-16-2007, 11:17 PM
We've had slowdowns before. If you look at the OT you'll see that in the past day we didn't even have more than 50 threads. I agree with those who state the board is in a slow period. What that means for us, I don't know. Perhaps we're going to contract and the whole small/large game concept will have to disappear. I do know that we are far far away from facing extinction.

Richard Weed
05-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Maybe if we could lobby 'Dog to give us our posts back it would encourage people to play. :)

Mr. Wednesday
05-17-2007, 08:11 PM
In my case, it's commitments over Memorial Day and June 5 through 8 that have kept me from signing up for anything more. That, and I'm busy at school trying to get some stuff done so that it's ready for said June commitment.

DaddyTorgo
05-19-2007, 02:35 PM
just anecdotally...the main board is so slow I don't think it's us. I mean...it's a Saturday afternoon and I posted at 2:58 or something, and my post is still like...the 4th or 5th most recent thread up there on the board. That's ridiculous

Lathum
06-01-2007, 09:10 AM
soo, uh, anyone else getting nervous?

Alan T
06-01-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm hoping it is just the weather turning nicer making people choose to be out more in their spare time right now. We've done alot of games in the past few months, and maybe people are just wanting a break!

If it slows down, then we can just slow down the games too. No need to plan games for 20+ people if we only have 10 play. Can have signup lists run until you get 8-10 or so?

I think my answer still applies. Because of the time of year/season/etc we obviously are back to 10 person games. I think it makes sense to adjust accordingly and just gear every game for 10 players for a while. :)

hoopsguy
06-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Nervous? I'll admit to being surprised at the turnout for the last couple of efforts. There have been a number of people who played a few games and have not made their way back, which is disappointing. I'm wondering if there was some part of the WW experience that steered them away from signing up again.

I agree with Alan that we may have to gear towards smaller games for awhile, although I'm hoping that is not a long-term trend. I like the bigger games more, personally.

st.cronin
06-01-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm almost positive the same thing happened last year around this time.

Lathum
06-10-2007, 11:37 AM
almost been a month since I started this thread, anyone worried yet?

Poli
06-10-2007, 12:08 PM
That's too bad. :(

DaddyTorgo
06-10-2007, 02:07 PM
almost been a month since I started this thread, anyone worried yet?

can we get some sort of motherfucking game started?? :mad::mad:

st.cronin
06-10-2007, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't say I'm worried. The board as a whole has been REALLY quiet lately.

st.cronin
06-10-2007, 04:49 PM
dola

I should say, I'm not worried about werewolf. I'm a bit worried about the fofc.

Kodos
06-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Will Werewolf kill FOFC?

Swaggs
06-10-2007, 11:06 PM
For me, personally, the problem is/was pretty much threefold.

1. As much as I hated to let things get to me, it got a little too heated when certain folks (mostly just one person) played, to the point that I got disgusted with myself for getting so annoyed with a game.

2. A lot of times, the games were getting way too complicated for me. I have rarely taken notes or used a spreadsheet when playing, so the very complex games were getting less enjoyable for me and become more like work to follow. I enjoy the mystery/detective part of werewolf, the human factors (players slipping up, getting anxious, playing it cool, pulling off a surprise, etc.), and the story revealing itself as the game goes on, much more than the elaborate dynamics that a lot of the complex games have. I think it is a great testament, to the skill level of our players and GMs, that folks were able to develop such deep games, but it got intimidating for me (I've played in probably 15-20 games, so I'd consider myself fairly grizzled), so I'm sure some of the complext games were just too hard to play for beginners.

3. The biggest factor for me is that I spend a good bit less time on the computer during the Summer due to the weather, extra work around the yard/house, and travel. I think this is probably the biggest factor for most players.

saldana
06-11-2007, 11:14 AM
for me, it has just been a combination of circumstances, mostly involving work...when i am really busy at my job, i dont take a lunch break, so when i get home, i am an entire day's posts behind...in games with 20+ people playing, it takes hours to catch up, and i can't jutify ignoring my wife and daughters for that amount of time...right now i am actually annoyed that there are no games up, because i would be able to play in one :(

Alan T
06-11-2007, 11:50 AM
I still stand by my original statement. If only 6 people want to play, lets just have a 6 person non-fancy game. It is obvious we aren't going to have 20 person games right now, so I think its time to just toss out the lists of small/large game and go back to having a GM order running games which right now they will know are going to be less than 10 people.

I assume either everyone will get tired of it and quit, or more people will start joining back in.

I'd be happy to run another small person game, but both Path and Lathum talked about doing it last week.. I just think we need to run with what we have.

Poli
06-11-2007, 02:31 PM
I'd like to see a game get going and WW to keep rolling. I'd hate to think I ruined this.

Barkeep49
06-11-2007, 10:29 PM
I still stand by my original statement. If only 6 people want to play, lets just have a 6 person non-fancy game. It is obvious we aren't going to have 20 person games right now, so I think its time to just toss out the lists of small/large game and go back to having a GM order running games which right now they will know are going to be less than 10 people.

I assume either everyone will get tired of it and quit, or more people will start joining back in.

I'd be happy to run another small person game, but both Path and Lathum talked about doing it last week.. I just think we need to run with what we have.
I agree. I am done with school on Wednesday. When I start having long periods of time where I have access to a computer and the internet, am at work, but have little work to do, I am going to want werewolf and would be happy to help with a major recruiting effort. I think path should have first shot at a simple or whatever game and we should then just go down the small game list. I think some game is better than the no games we've been having.

And no one killed WW. The drop-off was so precipitous and yet not after any major incident that I still believe, in my heart, that it's more a "perfect storm" than anything else.

DaddyTorgo
06-12-2007, 01:07 AM
does someone want to run an interim small game first?

I think there is something to what was said about some of the large complex games being too large and too complex.

I never really hit a point where it overwhelmed me, but I defiantely feel like one should be able to play WW without a spreadsheet and devoting hours to the 10 pages you've missed during a day.

The way the large games were like that placed a burden on those people that summarized for everyone else, and also gave them an opportunity to push the vote in particular directions.

I don't dislike large games, but I think some of the 20+ people large complicated games got to be a little much.

path12
06-12-2007, 12:41 PM
I'd start up a small game now with what we have but I'm leaving town for five days starting Friday, so if someone wants to run with the small game signup list go for it.

Schmidty
06-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Where did all of the old threads go?

Poli
06-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Display options, brother.

st.cronin
06-21-2007, 08:31 AM
I just need to point out how much the spelling of "extincion" in the thread title pleases me.

Lathum
06-21-2007, 08:41 AM
why?

Poli
06-21-2007, 08:55 AM
You know what pleases me? A hat.

Passacaglia
06-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Can't believe I never noticed that.

Poli
06-21-2007, 09:20 AM
What, the word or the hat?

Passacaglia
06-21-2007, 10:35 AM
The word. It sounds like someone is saying it with a French accent.

DaddyTorgo
06-22-2007, 10:16 AM
we ought to make sure we have another game ready to go when this one ends. get some damm momentum back

Lathum
06-22-2007, 10:34 AM
we ought to make sure we have another game ready to go when this one ends. get some damm momentum back

I agree, and why would anyone be shocked when I make a spelling error.

KWhit
06-24-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm posting this here, but it's in response to a couple of posts in the sign up thread. I didn't want to totally threadjack that one, so I'll ask here:

What do you mean we lost him? He quit WW because we accused him and Bek of being the same person? That sucks...I am sure he will miss it and come back sooner than later though.

I hope so.

I've been out of the loop for a little while, but are you saying that he wasn't posting as Bek? Or he was but you don't care? Or that you're not sure, but you'd like him back anyway?

It applies to this thread because I have stopped playing WW for a few reasons and stuff like what Blade was accused of doing was a part of it. Was that ever resolved one way or the other?

LoneStarGirl
06-24-2007, 03:08 PM
I was always under the impression that Blade and Bek was the same person. Goldeneagle stopped playing WW because he swears they are the same person and went to skydog to confirm it. Blade is a great player... a little too active and into the game at times, but he is good to have on your team... I am sure he will miss Werewolf and come back soon. And I know DC is a good friend with Blade so she will come back when he does.

Barkeep49
06-24-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm posting this here, but it's in response to a couple of posts in the sign up thread. I didn't want to totally threadjack that one, so I'll ask here:

I've been out of the loop for a little while, but are you saying that he wasn't posting as Bek? Or he was but you don't care? Or that you're not sure, but you'd like him back anyway?

It applies to this thread because I have stopped playing WW for a few reasons and stuff like what Blade was accused of doing was a part of it. Was that ever resolved one way or the other?
KWhit,

I believe Blade to have played as Bek. However, I enjoyed having Blade in the game and do not think it would happen again. Others might disagree.

Barkeep49
06-24-2007, 03:17 PM
I was always under the impression that Blade and Bek was the same person. Goldeneagle stopped playing WW because he swears they are the same person and went to skydog to confirm it. Blade is a great player... a little too active and into the game at times, but he is good to have on your team... I am sure he will miss Werewolf and come back soon. And I know DC is a good friend with Blade so she will come back when he does.
I can understand why some people who felt that Blade recieved a bum rap stopped playing, but I admit some sadness that GE, and one or two others who also felt Blade was wrong, left even though Blade isn't playing.

KWhit
06-24-2007, 03:46 PM
KWhit,

I believe Blade to have played as Bek. However, I enjoyed having Blade in the game and do not think it would happen again. Others might disagree.

I would be one of those that would disagree. In my way of thinking, it doesn't matter if he was likely to do it again or not. Back when this first came up, I did some digging and post comparisons and such and came to the conclusion that they were the same person. And there is no way I would ever play in a game again with someone who I believed had blatantly cheated like that. That's why I was surprised to hear that you and LSG wished he would come back. I thought I had missed something.

Barkeep49
06-24-2007, 04:00 PM
I would be one of those that would disagree. In my way of thinking, it doesn't matter if he was likely to do it again or not. Back when this first came up, I did some digging and post comparisons and such and came to the conclusion that they were the same person. And there is no way I would ever play in a game again with someone who I believed had blatantly cheated like that. That's why I was surprised to hear that you and LSG wished he would come back. I thought I had missed something.
Fair enough. I certainly understand why others feel differently. And perhaps I'm too kind hearted about the whole thing. However, I would encourage you to play now though as he's not currently around :).

Poli
06-24-2007, 05:47 PM
I guess having met blade while in Phoenix I could have asked. To be honest, I think we barely touched the subject of werewolf. We talked mostly about football and animals, since we were at the zoo.

Lathum
06-24-2007, 08:38 PM
I guess having met blade while in Phoenix I could have asked. To be honest, I think we barely touched the subject of werewolf. We talked mostly about football and animals, since we were at the zoo.
how cute.

Lathum
06-24-2007, 08:39 PM
dola

IMO I'm not so sure how I would react to playing with him again. There are alot of ways to cheat in this game and it's no fun playing with someone who cheats. If they did it once who's to say they wont do it again.

Poli
06-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Well, BYU and I were at the coaching clinic the weekend before. Not much clean entertainment in Phoenix.

LoneStarGirl
06-25-2007, 05:33 PM

Well to be honest I kind of said it to not piss anybody else off because I thought he had a lot of friends around here who didn't believe Blade to be Bek. I talked to him on aim a while back and he was a great guy, but when it came to Werewolf he took it far to seriously. Sometimes playing with him wasn't fun because he took it so seriously. Like that huge game we were in with the super heroes. He killed me off without talking to me because that is what it took to win. And winning isn't what werewolf is all about. Hell I can't remember the last time my team won a game. :D

Izulde
07-01-2007, 02:52 AM
if I remember right, I got busy with some end of semester crunch and never picked back up on it again.

I wouldn't mind doing a small game again though