PDA

View Full Version : Golden Wolves Suggestion Thread: Best Wolf (Overall)

Barkeep49
03-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Who can trick the villagers into trusting them during the day all the while destroying them at night?

Suggest who you think might be the best wolf here. Multiple suggestions are allowed.

st.cronin
03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Tyrith

Lathum
03-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Saying myself would be tacky and it's been forever since I have been a wolf so I am gonna go with Sndvls here. He can be very crafty.

path12
03-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Alan T is an helluva wolf.

hoopsguy
03-01-2008, 05:43 PM
I'll put Lathum out there. He is a victim of his own success in terms of being a wolf.

Alan T
03-01-2008, 06:04 PM
The person I thought was the toughest wolf is probably Dubb

saldana
03-02-2008, 02:20 PM
i have to give a co vote to SackAttack and Hoops...i dont think there has ever been another perfect game, and the manner in which Hoops danced his way out of the lynch about 3 or four times was unreal....i had his death scene already done and had to use it on the last day for a villager...everyone was so annoyed that they couldnt get a Sith, that no one even cared about the scene (which i would have nominated for best moment if it had been a bad guy)

ntndeacon
03-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I always find Chief Rum to be a crafty wolf.

LoneStarGirl
03-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Hoopsguy

or Blade/Bek ;)

Barkeep49
03-06-2008, 12:32 PM
List so far:
Tyrith
SnDvls
Alan
Lathum
Dubb
SackAttack
Hoops
Chief RUm
Blade

Grammaticus
03-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Dubb plays a crafty bad guy.

path12
03-25-2008, 11:24 AM
What happened to dubb, anyway?

Passacaglia
03-25-2008, 11:30 AM
What happened to dubb, anyway?

I think he got pissed that we spoiled a Captain America comic for him.

hoopsguy
06-01-2009, 11:16 PM
The person I thought was the toughest wolf is probably Dubb

Dubb plays a crafty bad guy.

I wonder if anyone (like me?) would like to reconsider their votes from last year after seeing the tour de force Dubb has put on the last couple of games?

Good to have you back, Dubb.

Lathum
06-01-2009, 11:17 PM
ahem

dubb93
06-01-2009, 11:18 PM
I think he got pissed that we spoiled a Captain America comic for him.

This is honestly the funniest thing I have read in a while. Where the hell did this come from?

dubb93
06-01-2009, 11:19 PM
I mean, if I had any interest in comics I could understand but to my knowledge I've read a handfull of them in my life and have read exactly zero cover to cover.

Chief Rum
06-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Seems clear to me, dubb. These guys go out of their way to give you props, and there you go, talking comics again. :D

dubb93
06-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Seems clear to me, dubb. These guys go out of their way to give you props, and there you go, talking comics again. :D

:D

I do appreciate the comments and love playing against Hoops. This game was the first time I do believe we have ever actually been wolves together. I think it was the first time I've even wolfed it up with Lathum as well, although I could be wrong about that one.

hoopsguy
06-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Dubb, I've found your comic book rage:
**SPOILER ALERT** (Captain America) - Front Office Football Central (http://operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=57383&highlight=captain+america)

You won't have to dig very far, as you are the first person to respond to the original poster.

There is obviously a lot of tightly wrapped rage in that post.

Danny
06-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Dubb is a great wolf, no question.

dubb93
06-01-2009, 11:49 PM
**SPOILER ALERT** (Captain America) - Front Office Football Central (http://operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=57383&highlight=captain+america)

You won't have to dig very far, as you are the first person to respond to the original poster.

Ah yes, I must have been furious.

dubb93
06-01-2009, 11:54 PM
To be fair I quit playing werewolf here in most part due to a WoW obsession. I had to have the best everything for my characters and between work and raiding 3 nights a week and my girlfriend I didn't feel I had time to play this game like I used to. I was also working third shift with no internet access around the time I quit.

I came back but the game where I was a wolf, the Sherlock Holmes game, made me feel like werewolf had become something I was not accostomed(damn work internet explorer with no spell checker) to as we had absolutely no control that game and went nights on end with no ability to make a nightkill to take out the people we wanted. I stuck around a little while after but finally said the hell with it.

I'm having fun with it again this time around and I'll be sticking around for a while.

I really hope the games I have planned to GM end up being as fun for everyone else as I have had myself over the years.

Chief Rum
06-02-2009, 12:01 AM
I came back but the game where I was a wolf, the Sherlock Holmes game, made me feel like werewolf had become something I was not accostomed(damn work internet explorer with no spell checker) to as we had absolutely no control that game and went nights on end with no ability to make a nightkill to take out the people we wanted. I stuck around a little while after but finally said the hell with it.

That was first my first GM game. Great concept, and still is, IMO. But I didn't think out the wolf roles as far as I needed to, and the wolves had the incredibly bad fortune of having a random roll put Jack The Ripper (aka saldana or Lathum, I think) in the noose inside of Day Two.

Incidentally, that was one of the key games I learned that 5:1 (at least) is the best way to go for villager: wolf ratios. It's also the last game I used randomness as a key element of my games.

I still remember how pissed you got.

Lathum
06-02-2009, 12:11 AM
I was Jack IIRC and there was some random mechanic where someone spotted me out at night or someting

EagleFan
06-02-2009, 12:14 AM
As a way to test to find out who is the best wolf we could have a game where everyone is a wolf.... :)

Chief Rum
06-02-2009, 12:15 AM
I was Jack IIRC and there was some random mechanic where someone spotted me out at night or someting

Yup. But it wasn't like they spotted you as "Hey, there's Jack The Ripper". The fact they spotted you in that area was the random mechanic, but it was "spotted Lathum" or whatever. And then I think someone got all Lathumed up about you as usual and started pegging you about why you were there, and with little else to go on, the village lynched you. It was some bad luck, combined with me not giving you enough tools to escape it.

You weren't even doing a kill that night. IIRC, I had you on a search and destroy pattern. Find your target one night. Kill it the next. Or something like that.

Chief Rum
06-02-2009, 12:16 AM
As a way to test to find out who is the best wolf we could have a game where everyone is a wolf.... :)

Paging Alan...Alan to the Golden Wolves Suggestion Thread...

...Paging Alan... ;)

dubb93
06-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I still remember how pissed you got.

I wasn't pissed at all actually....and then you revealed how random everything was. And Blade didn't help matters with his smugness claiming he + cronin outsmarted everyone when in truth we tried to kill them several times, most notably when we lost control of our only killer and he made a random kill instead of taking out the seer as planned. :D

Live and learn.

Chief Rum
06-02-2009, 12:22 AM
I wasn't pissed at all actually....and then you revealed how random everything was. And Blade didn't help matters with his smugness claiming he + cronin outsmarted everyone when in truth we tried to kill them several times, most notably when we lost control of our only killer and he made a random kill instead of taking out the seer as planned. :D

Live and learn.

See? That's why I stopped the randomness. Worked well, too, after that, ran two very effective games after that. My fourth game (and the last I ran) was the Political one, which taught me other lessons.

It's like I was saying about BK's game here, it's a good game and we had fun. But there were things that unbalanced it. And that's sometimes tricky to get right, especially if it's a complicated game. BK is a long-time tested GM, and before him other experienced GMs like Pass and Abe Sargent also ran games that were fun but had some essential flaw in them.

It just goes to show how hard it is to run a well-balanced game, and even then, some bad rolls (my Jack The Ripper game--not to say it was well-balance, but bad rolls affected it-- and BK's game with all of the top notch wolves) can completely undo it.

dubb93
06-02-2009, 12:27 AM
See? That's why I stopped the randomness. Worked well, too, after that, ran two very effective games after that. My fourth game (and the last I ran) was the Political one, which taught me other lessons.

It's like I was saying about BK's game here, it's a good game and we had fun. But there were things that unbalanced it. And that's sometimes tricky to get right, especially if it's a complicated game. BK is a long-time tested GM, and before him other experienced GMs like Pass and Abe Sargent also ran games that were fun but had some essential flaw in them.

It just goes to show how hard it is to run a well-balanced game, and even then, some bad rolls (my Jack The Ripper game--not to say it was well-balance, but bad rolls affected it-- and BK's game with all of the top notch wolves) can completely undo it.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm bashing here. I have read some of your games you have ran and I think you have done a fantastic job. The job you have done far exceeds the job I have done there and when it comes time to run my game I fully expect there to be holes in it, although I hope I have most of them plugged.

Danny
06-02-2009, 12:28 AM
games that were fun but had some essential flaw in them.

Good thing my game didn't have this!

Chief Rum
06-02-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm not trying to sound like I'm bashing here. I have read some of your games you have ran and I think you have done a fantastic job. The job you have done far exceeds the job I have done there and when it comes time to run my game I fully expect there to be holes in it, although I hope I have most of them plugged.

Oh no, bash away. I didn't think you were anyway, but even if you were, I have long fully acknowledged the issues with that game and with some of the decisions I made for the political game. I know I'm not perfect--I am just trying to get it to as close to an enjoyable and even game as possible.

Although I am sure it would be a learning experience for you as with everyone else, I suspect you would run a very effective game if you gave it a shot.

Chief Rum
06-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Good thing my game didn't have this!

Heh...I had fun in your game, too, Danny, but of course, it had some things not end up so well of course. I left you out in my list because I was listing out experienced GMs and I couldn't remember any other games you did.

The interesting point is, in all of these games, Pass's, Abe's, yours, BK's, I had a great time, and I would readily jump back into a game any of you ran again. It's just fair commentary that we're all human, and not every game ends up going as drawn out prior to start up.

I think my one supreme failing as a GM (and sometimes as a player) is that I underestimate the ingenuity of the players. That was definitely a problem in my political game. I still think the bills thing was a great concept, but it turns out the WW community was too damn smart for their own good, pushing its limits.

Alan T
06-02-2009, 07:37 AM

This sounds like a great idea for a game!

I bet I could get Saldana to join....

Passacaglia
06-29-2009, 02:31 PM

I think I missed this when it got bumped earlier in this month. I'm not sure, but I think that must have been what I was going for -- I think that was the last post you made before leaving us for your WoW obession maybe? Anyway, good to have you back.

hoopsguy
06-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Pass, check out post #206 in that thread. I laughed very hard when I saw it a couple of weeks ago.

Passacaglia
06-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Oh yeah, I saw it when it got bumped! Awesome.