PDA

View Full Version : Road Bicycle Advice

lordscarlet
07-14-2008, 07:40 PM
My biking experiment is over. When I moved into the city (DC) almost four years ago I bought a $90 Schwinn from K-Mart. I wanted to make sure that I would ride the bike enough to make a large purchase worthwhile. I have determined that it is worthwhile, and I actually donated my old bike this winter. Now its time to look for a new bike; however, I know nothing about road bikes. I am hoping someone here does have some knowledge regarding road bikes. Now, first, my definition of a "road" bike, otherwise known as: what lordscarlet needs.

I will typically bike to and from work each day (1.5 mi one way) and run errands typically under 3 miles away. I may occasionally ride out to my father's, which is 10-12 miles away, but that would be exclusively on city streets, suburban streets and paved "rails to trails" bike paths. My assumption is that I want a lightweight aluminum or steel frame. I went to a bike shop a couple weekends ago and they were pushing an aluminum frame Specialized Sirus that had flat handlebars, no shocks and I believe 21 gears. I would also like it to be pretty light for storage -- I am hoping to hang it from the ceiling or wall in my bedroom.

In addition I have some questions:

What is the difference between a ~$300 bike and a ~$600 bike?
What do I need to look for in the way of shifting, brakes, etc?
Are there particular brands to look for or be wary of?
If I buy a used bike, what are some typical things to look out for?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated as well.

21C
07-14-2008, 10:28 PM
I would suggest going to several local bike shops as the experiences will vary greatly. Some will be more sales-oriented, like the sounds of the one you mentioned, while others will be run by enthusiasts and have better advice.

The fact that you mentioned a bike having no shocks suggests that you would be better off with a mountain bike or possibly a hybrid (cross between a mountain and road bike). I would recommend getting a bike with disc brakes but they will be more expensive than ones with rim brakes.

I don't think that you would need a high-end bike for the trips you've described. Just get one that you're comfortable with.

Cringer
07-14-2008, 10:32 PM
In addition I have some questions:

What is the difference between a ~$300 bike and a ~$600 bike?
What do I need to look for in the way of shifting, brakes, etc?
Are there particular brands to look for or be wary of?
If I buy a used bike, what are some typical things to look out for?
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated as well.

1. The difference is $300.
2. You want these things. If the bike doesn't have them injury may follow.
3. Acme
4. Rust and flat tires.

I had to be a dumbass, sorry.....

lordscarlet
07-14-2008, 10:40 PM
I would suggest going to several local bike shops as the experiences will vary greatly. Some will be more sales-oriented, like the sounds of the one you mentioned, while others will be run by enthusiasts and have better advice.

The fact that you mentioned a bike having no shocks suggests that you would be better off with a mountain bike or possibly a hybrid (cross between a mountain and road bike). I would recommend getting a bike with disc brakes but they will be more expensive than ones with rim brakes.

I don't think that you would need a high-end bike for the trips you've described. Just get one that you're comfortable with.

Why would I want a mountain bike? I'm fine with no shocks, as it seems to help produce a much lighter bike. Or is there something I'm missing? I took the Sirus around the block a few times and it seemed fine for the street. I wouldn't say this shop was highly sales oriented, that may just be based on what I've said, not the way they were. It was not high pressure or anything like that -- he answered all the questions I asked. I just had more questions as soon as I left. I definitely plan on hitting up at least one more shop, and then checking out a shop that is a charity that fixes up bikes and resells them.

21C
07-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Sorry, I just read that comment about no shocks and thought you mentioned it as a negative. I just thought that the mountain bike (MTB) would be a more comfortable ride. I ride a MTB without shocks which doesn't bother me but when I've ridden my wife's bike with shocks you can notice the smoother ride.

My suggestion would be to take someone with you to the bike shops that knows their bikes. If you can't do that then pick a bike that you feel comfortable with - and can afford. Once you get experience with that bike, you'll start to look for enhancements in future bikes.

This reminds me of what someone told me that the optimal number of bikes for you to own is n+1, where n is the current number of bikes you currently own.

Marc Vaughan
07-15-2008, 12:34 AM
I've been using a mountain bike I bought from Walmart for around $150 since I emigrated - its far from top of the line but has handled itself fine for the 18 months I've had it, despite being used daily for up to around an hours riding.

In my experience the more expensive bikes are generally lighter and have better brakes, but also tend to pick up 'nicks' faster than cheaper bikes. I cycle largely for exercise so having a heavier less efficient bike should mean its better for me ... thats my theory anyway ;)

PS - I prefer mountain bikes to 'road bikes' because of the riding position and comfortable seating (comparatively with racing bikes), they also seem to hold up better when bumpng up and down pavements ... something I do a lot.

lordscarlet
07-15-2008, 08:32 AM
I also want to know how the hell to keep my clothes from getting wrinkled in my bag on the way to work. ;)

cartman
07-15-2008, 08:45 AM
The biggest difference between a $300 bike and a $600 bike are the components. The frames almost always will be the same. You will see Sumitomo, FSA, or an entry level Shimano line. These lower end components will work fine, it is just that they are heavy. If you don't mind the extra couple of pounds of weight, then they will be ok.

My personal preference is to get a drivetrain that is all made by the same company (ie. front and rear derailleurs, crankshaft, etc.) My suggestion would be to look for something with Shimano 105 installed. The next step up is Shimano Ultegra, usually you won't start seeing that component set until you get closer to the $1000 range, and the top level is Shimano Dura-Ace, and that on the $1500+ bikes.

Another one part to also focus on would be the wheel set. A cheap set of wheels gets out of round very easily, and makes for an annoying ride.

Ajaxab
07-15-2008, 09:00 AM
My wife and I bought a couple of Specialized Racing Bikes two summers ago and love them. I would recommend Specialized in a heartbeat.

It looks like the touring bike would be a perfect fit for you. I wouldn't mess with a mountain bike. Unless you will either be riding offroad or want the extra exercise of wrestling with a heavier bike, the Sirrus (or something comparable) does seem to be the perfect fit.

cartman speaks the truth about components. Definitely some good advice there.

In the end, it comes down to what you're comfortable with riding. If you're not comfortable riding the bike, it won't matter how expensive it is. Find something you feel safe riding and something you feel confident riding and that should be good.

21C
07-15-2008, 09:39 AM
I also want to know how the hell to keep my clothes from getting wrinkled in my bag on the way to work. ;)
You could either take a week's worth of ironed clothes in once a week like a guy does at my work or you could adopt the "slightly-crumpled" look that I use.

Seriously, you could either fold your clothes carefully or try laying them out and rolling them together. Or you could keep an iron at work.

I don't think it makes a lot of difference but I used to carry my clothes in a backpack and now I use a gym bag that I attach to a rear bike rack.

RomaGoth
07-15-2008, 09:48 AM
1. The difference is $300.
2. You want these things. If the bike doesn't have them injury may follow.
3. Acme
4. Rust and flat tires.

I had to be a dumbass, sorry.....

"This, of course, means war".

lordscarlet
07-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Just for the record, I don't mind paying ~$600 for a bike if I think its worth it. The question is whether it will make a difference to a semi-casual rider like myself.

As for the clothes, I don't have room to store a week's worth of clothes (but I have dreamed of it for some time). Currently (previously) I just put it in a bag as carefully as possible, and when its cool enough wear my work clothes on the bike. It helps that I can easily get away with jeans and a polo most days.

wade moore
07-15-2008, 02:04 PM
LS - perhaps like a good friend of ours, you need to keep a steamer handy?

lordscarlet
07-15-2008, 02:37 PM
At my desk? Do you know how big those things are?

MikeVic
07-15-2008, 02:44 PM
When you find a steamer you like, let me know. I'm looking too.

miked
07-15-2008, 02:56 PM
I have a mountain bike that I used to get around in Boston. I think I probably would've had an easier time with a hybrid or more of a road bike as I think the tires of the mountain bike are a little bulky for city streets. I'm fairly certain they are designed for traction and things like that when flying around on trails, but I've had a beast of a time getting around Atlanta (crazy drivers that hate bikers notwithstanding).

lordscarlet
07-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I want something that's light and quick -- much better for city riding.