PDA

View Full Version : Ping: Stoned Guy

Spree
07-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Forgive me if some smartass has already tried this, but there has got to be more potheads than drunks on this forum. I mean, it's videogames we're mostly discussing here, for Christ's sake.

And might I suggest adding a marijuana-related smily so that some of us can more accurately express ourselves.

FF
07-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Spree is practically my new favorite poster.

TCY Junkie
07-26-2008, 10:07 PM
His apology earlier wasn't sarcastic enough for my taste.

thesloppy
07-26-2008, 10:12 PM
I've recently been upping my reps in preparation for the Smokalympics.

Spree
07-26-2008, 10:17 PM
The Smokalympics, where the finish line at the 100m dash is replaced by a giant Hershey bar.

Greyroofoo
07-26-2008, 10:21 PM
wow, this thread is bringing the lurkers out

Logan
07-26-2008, 10:23 PM

They've been too stoned.

TCY Junkie
07-26-2008, 10:27 PM

I was going to ask who they were, but I don't even know who TCYJ is.

Spree
07-26-2008, 10:34 PM
I was going to ask who they were, but I don't even know who TCYJ is.

I post, therefore I am.

Logan's right on the money, sadly. The lurkers have been too stoned. But, if we would all just temporarily look up from our bongs and post a few words on this thread, we can be even more popular than the everlasting Drunk thread.

Dream big, guys.

Bad-example
07-26-2008, 10:37 PM
I've recently been upping my reps in preparation for the Smokalympics.

Good luck! The newest event, Chess Hotboxing, looks to be very popular.

Greyroofoo
07-26-2008, 10:41 PM
I post, therefore I am.

Logan's right on the money, sadly. The lurkers have been too stoned. But, if we would all just temporarily look up from our bongs and post a few words on this thread, we can be even more popular than the everlasting Drunk thread.

Dream big, guys.

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pumpy Tudors
07-26-2008, 10:42 PM
And might I suggest adding a marijuana-related smily so that some of us can more accurately express ourselves.
If that's what it takes for you to express yourself, there are probably scores of other forums on the internet that might be better suited to you.

Izulde
07-26-2008, 10:43 PM
This would be my new favorite thread if it hadn't been months since the last time I hooked up with Mary Jane.

It's got me jonesin'

TCY Junkie
07-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Pumpy has spoken

Spree
07-27-2008, 03:12 AM
If that's what it takes for you to express yourself, there are probably scores of other forums on the internet that might be better suited to you.

Dude, have you even read some of the posts on those marijuana message boards? Not the most interesting people you're ever going to meet, to say the least. They mostly wanna talk about legalizing weed (stupid idea imo) and how to make cool-looking bongs, which of course have no other purpose than looking cool. Marijuana-fueled political discussions -- sometimes more interesting in real life, sometimes completely bogus -- are basically out of the question. What's worse, most of them are too stoned to type in complete sentences or even bother spelling correctly -- and this of course is a revolutionary act, a way of sticking it to the man, even though the man can't understand what the fuck you're saying.

Anyway, most things exclusively related to pot suck ass. The same goes for message boards. Cheech and Chong is totally unfunny. Half Baked nearly wrecked Dave Chappelle's career. Tie dye art is weird and it hurts my eyes. I caught How High the other day; it's not even worth mentioning. The Grateful Dead I never got into, no matter how much pot I smoked. And marijuana activists, despite their peaceful intentions -- I'm sorry to say -- seem like a gaggle of stoners aching to get a buzz. (Honestly, if you decide to yourself, "I'd like to devote my life to changing the world for the better," and you have a serious, introspective argument with yourself about how to do that, how in God's name does your destiny reveal itself it to you in the form of psychotropic vegetables? Didn't you take a break from the smoking to really think about it? Not to be critical, but these people's energies and political savvy could be better used fighting poverty or something.)

Schmidty
07-27-2008, 04:46 AM
I've never even smoked a cig. I grew up with smoke everywhere. I hate it. I especially hate the smell of pot. I almost want to puke when I smell even a trace of it. Heck, I've just recently started to like smoked and BBQed foods.

Beer and liquor.... that's another topic....

Spree
07-27-2008, 04:54 AM
Beer... something pretty much everyone can agree on. Beer is like the Will Ferrell of drugs, and pot is, I don't know, Rosie O'Donnell.

I've never even smoked a cig.

You're on the right track, my friend.

thesloppy
07-27-2008, 06:57 AM
And marijuana activists, despite their peaceful intentions -- I'm sorry to say -- seem like a gaggle of stoners aching to get a buzz. (Honestly, if you decide to yourself, "I'd like to devote my life to changing the world for the better," and you have a serious, introspective argument with yourself about how to do that, how in God's name does your destiny reveal itself it to you in the form of psychotropic vegetables? Didn't you take a break from the smoking to really think about it? Not to be critical, but these people's energies and political savvy could be better used fighting poverty or something.)

Now this I can agree with 100%. How come every 'marijuana activist' looks like exactly the same guy? Some burned out dude in a moth-eaten 30-year old tweed jacket and a ponytail, yammering away at 3am on public access. The least you could do is hire some earnest old guy to wear a lab coat and point as some charts or some such shit.

Pot activists like to get together and preach to themselves. Have another GOTdamn parade, hippy. Nothing changes people's hearts and minds like watching a bunch of hirsute losers in patchwork clothes, marching the streets to the strains of piss-poor drum work. Exactly who is supposed to be getting influenced by the ten thousandth protest march, hemp-fest, 420 celebration, blah blah blah. It's just the same people, repeating the same tired crap to eachother. You mean an acre of hemp grows more paper than an acre of trees?!?! You don't say. Good thing there's an army of crappy jugglers and Dave Matthews fans building to spread the gospel.

Karlifornia
07-27-2008, 06:58 AM
I've never even smoked a cig. I grew up with smoke everywhere. I hate it. I especially hate the smell of pot. I almost want to puke when I smell even a trace of it. Heck, I've just recently started to like smoked and BBQed foods.

Beer and liquor.... that's another topic....

And you call yourself an American?

Suburban Rhythm
07-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Spree is practically my new favorite poster.

This is my favorite post in the whole thing.

The guy with 90 posts from 2000 says about the guy with 40 posts from 2001.

Spree
07-27-2008, 07:28 AM
And you call yourself an American?

I didn't realize smoking was an American thing... seems more French than anything.

Lathum
07-27-2008, 11:21 AM
This would have been my favorite thread 10 years ago when I didn't have a family, career and future to worry about...

oliegirl
07-27-2008, 11:35 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nl5gBJGnaXs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nl5gBJGnaXs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Noop
07-27-2008, 11:41 AM
"We even got smokey bear burning trees and that's nasty like stank pu$$y at the party"

Man I blow on tree's like a hurricane. Smoking weed keeps me even keel because I have problems being around a lot of people.

MizzouRah
07-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Ping: My wife

Edit: and most of my neighbors

korme
07-27-2008, 01:54 PM
This thread delivers

Maple Leafs
07-27-2008, 02:14 PM
... but these people's energies and political savvy could be better used fighting poverty or something...
Political savvy? Have you ever talked to some of these people? They couldn't convince anyone to legalize gravity.

Greyroofoo
07-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Political savvy? Have you ever talked to some of these people? They couldn't convince anyone to legalize gravity.

Fuck Gravity

It's bringing us all down...

Spree
07-27-2008, 07:49 PM

Marijuana activists obviously have some sort of political motivation/desire to change the world, or else they'd stay home all day and smoke pot.

But they claim outrageous facts like that legalizing marijuana will eliminate poverty in this country. You can see the logic: billions of dollars in tax revenue added to the system, facilitating the creation of a new welfare state. Yet legalization will not at all change the priorities of the U.S. government. That extra revenue will most likely go to an extra year in Iraq, or corporate subsidies. Whatever.

Then people say, "Well, most industries contribute to the faulty capitalist system. Does that mean we should abandon all industry and go back to agricultural times?" Ideally, yes. Well, no, actually. A lot of industries in this country (publishing, for example) actually contribute to our culture and our personal betterment. But with a potential marijuana industry, the only benefit would be just another way for people to legally get trashed. It's not enough a noble cause to be included in the pantheon of notable civil rights achievements.

The only reason I mention all of this (besides my need to tell people what I think) is that I once had a professor tell her class that she received more term papers on marijuana legalization than on any other topic. And, frankly, it makes me ashamed to think that one of my fellow students has the following conversation with himself the night before the paper is due:

"Well, the paper's due tomorrow. Better get writing and pick a topic."
"Okay, what am I interested in writing about?"
"The assignment calls for a thorough, heavily-cited analysis of an issue relating somehow to today's events."
"What does that mean?"
"I don't know, that's what the assignment says."
"Well, what should I write about?"
"What do I like?"
"I like pot."
"Do I like anything else?"
"Not really."
"Hmmmmmm... Marijuana legalization it is."

Izulde
07-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for giving me another topic to ban from papers this year in case we have to give them a persuasive paper assignment.

Spree
07-27-2008, 08:16 PM
What other topics have been banned? Identifying the most potent strain of marijuana?

Izulde
07-27-2008, 08:39 PM
What other topics have been banned? Identifying the most potent strain of marijuana?

I'm planning on banning:

Capital Punishment/Death Penalty
Abortion
Assisted Suicide
Gay Marriage
Whether the Iraq War was justified
Who should be the next President

The reason I'm planning to eliminate these as topics is because while they may be controversial topics, they've also been researched and beaten to an ad nauseam pulp. Stances on these issues are, for the most part, so solidly set it's pointless to engage in a debate about them.

Izulde
07-27-2008, 08:40 PM
dola,

I don't -think- the course requirements will call for a persuasive paper, as that's more the community college level for one and for two, the field of composition and its ally, rhetoric (the latter of which I personally hate, by the way), have become more sophisticated than that even at the introductory levels, from what I'm given to understand.

NoMyths
07-27-2008, 09:12 PM
dola,

I don't -think- the course requirements will call for a persuasive paper, as that's more the community college level for one and for two, the field of composition and its ally, rhetoric (the latter of which I personally hate, by the way), have become more sophisticated than that even at the introductory levels, from what I'm given to understand.

It's only as sophisticated as the instructor, and you'll find that in a mixed-study classroom (e.g. only a handful of English majors, if that) the added complexity doesn't always yield the most effective results. That said, there are certainly effective ways of using more complicated material at a basic level. I'd say that a persuasive paper is a solid part of many intro classes as the university level.

NoMyths
07-27-2008, 09:14 PM
dola...

I've never banned assignment topics, but I have told classes that if they chose one of the aforementioned topics that their paper would have to be twice as good in order to succeed because I'd already read so many papers on the topic, most using the same research.

Noop
07-27-2008, 09:22 PM
I am a English Major (Waste of time honestly) and every paper I have written had to do with a book we read or a specific era.

NoMyths
07-27-2008, 09:49 PM
If it's a waste of time, stop being an English major. I cannot envision any field in which such a degree will serve your interests.

Spree
07-27-2008, 10:29 PM
I cannot envision any field in which such a degree will serve your interests.

Ha.

Noop
07-27-2008, 10:38 PM
If it's a waste of time, stop being an English major. I cannot envision any field in which such a degree will serve your interests.

Law School. If that doesn't work out then I have a minor in business and have a certification to be a paralegal. But yeah English is a waste of time and I make sure to let my professors no that as well. The main reason outside of wanting to go to law school for me choosing English was because our school has a pretty good creative writing program.

Karlifornia
07-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Law School. If that doesn't work out then I have a minor in business and have a certification to be a paralegal. But yeah English is a waste of time and I make sure to let my professors no that as well. The main reason outside of wanting to go to law school for me choosing English was because our school has a pretty good creative writing program.

It's always charming when someone not only wastes their own time, but simultaneously denigrates others.

Recoil
07-27-2008, 11:04 PM
I've thought about making this thread many times before. Not as big of a smoker as I used to be, but I still love the plant. Mmmmm

Izulde
07-27-2008, 11:06 PM
It's only as sophisticated as the instructor, and you'll find that in a mixed-study classroom (e.g. only a handful of English majors, if that) the added complexity doesn't always yield the most effective results. That said, there are certainly effective ways of using more complicated material at a basic level. I'd say that a persuasive paper is a solid part of many intro classes as the university level.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. :)

Though I'm not sure how much leeway I'll have in terms of teaching the course, particularly in the first year. I'll find all that out during orientation.

Chief Rum
07-27-2008, 11:11 PM
It's always charming when someone not only wastes their own time, but simultaneously denigrates others.

And in a post in which he boasts of informing his professors of the uselessness of their chosen field of expertise, he proceeds to incorrectly use 'no' in place of 'know'. ;)

Not that I disagree with the notion that English majors contribute little to your resume in almost any field outside of writing--and few can write good enough to make a living out of it (the rest teach, tell that to your professors, Noop ;) ).

Spree
07-27-2008, 11:15 PM
But yeah English is a waste of time and I make sure to let my professors no that as well.

Don't tell me you intentionally misspelled "know" to be ironic.

I think you just proved that English is a worthwhile discipline with that sentence. :p

Spree
07-27-2008, 11:16 PM
And in a post in which he boasts of informing his professors of the uselessness of their chosen field of expertise, he proceeds to incorrectly use 'no' in place of 'know'. ;)

Damn, beat me to it.

Spree
07-27-2008, 11:19 PM
I've thought about making this thread many times before. Not as big of a smoker as I used to be, but I still love the plant. Mmmmm

Hey, man, don't derail the thread's development. This has gone from a silly parody thread to a stoic defense of academia in a little under 18 hours.

ISiddiqui
07-27-2008, 11:22 PM
They mostly wanna talk about legalizing weed (stupid idea imo)

No, brilliant idea!

most things exclusively related to pot suck ass

Not Harold & Kumar!!

Noop
07-27-2008, 11:45 PM
I think it is a waste of time and meant that as no disrespect to those who actually enjoy English. If you find it offensive then well that's disappointing as some of you may know not every English department is the same. So while some of you may have had interesting classes mine have been pointless and boring.

I get it Shakespeare was a clever fellow. I like the other writers of the era a little bit better except for Ben Johnson, who I will admit is a good writer but gets a little long winded for my taste.

Noop
07-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Don't tell me you intentionally misspelled "know" to be ironic.

I think you just proved that English is a worthwhile discipline with that sentence. :p

Funny.

Recoil
07-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Hey, man, don't derail the thread's development. This has gone from a silly parody thread to a stoic defense of academia in a little under 18 hours.

Too high to realize where you're posting? ;)

This is FOFC. Experienced thread hi-jackers. The best of the best.

Spree
07-28-2008, 01:15 AM
I get it Shakespeare was a clever fellow.

Dude, with that statement, you're just reeking of anti-intellectualism. I say buckle down, find something meaningful in the material, and at least make the best of it until its over.

Noop
07-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Dude, with that statement, you're just reeking of anti-intellectualism. I say buckle down, find something meaningful in the material, and at least make the best of it until its over.

Really don't get that. Most of my classes have been jerk off sessions of Shakespeare's work and it's beginning to be redundant. Christopher Marlow, Thomas Kyd, Thomas Dekker and even Ben Johnson are very good writers yet going into my final semester I have had only one class that dealt with the other writers of the period. Each English department is different so the one's you guys had/have may have done a much better job at creating an interesting and thought provoking curriculum.

I know the purpose of my major I figured that out pretty early and it was to make an argument based on the text, which I feel would at least be some what helpful in law school when you have to make a case based on evidence(I am sure there is more to this). One of my professor really drilled that in my head the first year on campus. Critical thinking is also something I know it help me improve upon. It still is a waste of time because I try to get the most out of my college experience and talking about the same guy feels highschoolish to me.

That being said the creative writing program is pretty good and so is the composition classes which also really helped me improve as a writer. I just have the habit of not rereading what I write.

I didn't mean to offend but if you were offended by my words then that is a personally problem. When I get my degree I will be proud of it because I accomplished something most people under 21 have not be able to yet.

flere-imsaho
07-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Most degrees in the humanities should teach you (aside from the subject matter themselves) to a) think critically and b) be able to communicate effectively in a variety of formats. Both skills, if you actually learn them, are applicable in a wide range of professions.

Noop
07-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Most degrees in the humanities should teach you (aside from the subject matter themselves) to a) think critically and b) be able to communicate effectively in a variety of formats. Both skills, if you actually learn them, are applicable in a wide range of professions.

I agree 100%

boberot
07-28-2008, 10:41 AM

Not that I disagree with the notion that English majors contribute little to your resume in almost any field outside of writing--and few can write good enough to make a living out of it (the rest teach, tell that to your professors, Noop ;) ).

I'm sure you meant to write, "few can write well enough. . . ."

Oh wait, were you being ironic?

Sorry, lurking guy with an English degree who packed a bong or two back in the day . . . .

;)

Pumpy Tudors
07-28-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm finally getting personal experience with this. I graduated six years ago, and the skills I gathered from my communications degree are finally being put to good use. :thumbsup:

rkmsuf
07-28-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm finally getting personal experience with this. I graduated six years ago, and the skills I gathered from my communications degree are finally being put to good use. :thumbsup:

tudors is low in the game

Pumpy Tudors
07-28-2008, 11:30 AM
tudors is low in the game
uncalled for imo

path12
07-28-2008, 11:30 AM
It strikes me as funny that the Stoned Guy thread turned argumentative.

rkmsuf
07-28-2008, 11:31 AM
uncalled for imo

yeah, how did you get involved?

Pumpy Tudors
07-28-2008, 11:32 AM
yeah, how did you get involved?
go fall out of a tree

rkmsuf
07-28-2008, 11:34 AM
go fall out of a tree

how about a log?

tarcone
07-28-2008, 11:34 AM
It strikes me as funny that the Stoned Guy thread turned argumentative.

Yeah, you would have thought the drunk guy thread would be where all the arguments are.

Pumpy Tudors
07-28-2008, 11:35 AM
how about a log?
how about i shove a log up your ass and and maybe a barbie doll too

rkmsuf
07-28-2008, 11:36 AM
how about i shove a log up your ass and and maybe a barbie doll too

what vulgar thoughts from such a pristine young gentleman

Pumpy Tudors
07-28-2008, 11:38 AM
what vulgar thoughts from such a pristine young gentleman
yea and i'll send my sister over to hatefuck you

you are done

damn i'm hungry for some breadsticks

jeheinz72
07-28-2008, 12:27 PM
"I think we should legalize marijuana in this country, so potheads have nothing to talk about ever again. You are so annoying, nobody ever sees me taking this angle, but I do.. with force. Grow up and do coke like an adult! "