PDA

View Full Version : ibuypower.com

JetsIn06
01-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Just bought a new PC....AWESOME prices.

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200 (4x 2.33GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )
Motherboard ( [SLI] Asus P5N-D Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB EPU Technology )
Memory ( 4 GB [1 GB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module)
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 512MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
2nd Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
Speaker System ( 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Keyboard ( PS/2 104 Key Windows 98 Keyboard Beige )
Mouse ( Logitech Optical Internet Mouse Black )
Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Business)
Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
No Monitor

Final Price: $1,095.00

I put together a Mac with the quad core, two 500 gb HD's, and 4 GB of ram, and it came out to a whopping $3,069. No monitor.

DELL has pretty solid prices, but they force a lot of crap on you. I couldn't get a 32-bit of Windows (which is a must-need, for me).

Radii
01-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Hate to be a debbie downer, but stay on top of these guys and be prepared to do some of your own troubleshooting if anything isn't working out of the box. Me and my buddy Matt both bought computers from these guys 2 years ago at the recommendation of a good friend of ours. They claim to test each system and to verify that each system boots before shipment, which I find hard to believe:

When I first got my PC and tried to boot it up, it froze within seconds. my buddy Matt had gotten his PC before mine and was going through hell with support over some bad RAM, so I decided to troubleshoot on my own. The plastic covering the fans of both of my SLI video cards had never been removed when the video cards were installed. After that I had other random issues with the PC freezing. A call to ibuypower support yielded a list of about 10 instructions to follow, from re-seating everything in the computer to re-ordering the RAM sticks and the video cards, to finally re-installing windows. The support person told me that they could not help me until I had done everything they asked.

I ended up spending 10-15 hours of my own time and got it working, but have never had a worse taste left in my mouth by service I've received than I did from this company.

The good news is that once I did finally get it working, its been a solid computer that I'm still using and expect to have around for awhile longer. The other guy that bought a system at the same time I did went through hell getting some RAM replaced, but like me, once he got his computer in working order, he's enjoyed it and gotten a lot of use out of it.

Oh, and our mutual friend that recommended the computer? A few days after we'd placed our orders for our new ibuypower computers, he says to us "oh yeah, I was thinking, I got my computer from CyberPower. Those guys rock. I have no idea who ibuypower is, good luck." :mad:

Anyway, I hope you have none of the above problems, I just wanted to offer an alternate experience before others here go out and buy from them, at least until you come back with a good report after receiving the computer. :)

MacroGuru
01-07-2009, 01:32 AM
I love my laptop I bought from them....it's so beefed up and fast and great for gaming....I had zero problems with it out of the box and it is doing just fine.

JetsIn06
01-07-2009, 05:11 AM
I got a good recommendation from a friend. And I know there is the potential for problems from everywhere.

When I got an Alienware, it took a week to get it up and running, the fan didn't work, and then finally when it did work, the ram crapped out on me.