PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Purchase a New PC

INDalltheway
01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
I tried bumping and old thread, but was unsuccessful getting responses so here I go again. Basically I am out of the loop on what's available and what's best nowadays in the PC department. My only needs are:

It will be plugged into a 32in TV, and I have VGA to Component cables already
I will only be playing text sims
Multi tabling poker
Normal browsing and IMing

So I imagine since it's plugged into a TV I will need a decent video card, correct? Also I'm looking to spend <$800, which after looking around seems very doable. I guess I'm really just looking for what kind of processor I should be looking at, etc. Below is a desktop I've been looking at..
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-studio-mt/4505-3118_7-33345352.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

BrianD
01-07-2009, 02:23 PM
The PC you've linked will certainly cover the needs you have listed, but most of Dell's sub-$500 PCs would as well. A dual core processor should be sufficient and may even be overkill for what you are doing.

Since you are plugging this into a TV, are you considering using it as a media player at all? If so, the PC you linked would be pretty decent for serving up media content. The 750GB hard drive would be nice for media storage as well.

Taxt
01-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Have you checked TigerDirect.com?

I don't know much about the guts of PCs so I can't help much. But from what I've seen, TigerDirect usually has the best deals. That's where I got my PC, which was recommended to me by people that know what they're talking about.

If you don't want Vista you may have to go some where else. I haven't had any issues with Vista (knock on wood) and I actually think it's more stable than XP.

JonInMiddleGA
01-08-2009, 07:21 AM
I thought this thread was going to involve a bailout ;)

gstelmack
01-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Your requirements are minimal, so almost anything will do.