PDA

View Full Version : So, Who's #1? (NCAA Football)

sterlingice
01-08-2009, 10:46 PM
In the absence of a playoff, the likely best solution, who deserves #1 to end the year?

Florida?
Utah?
USC?
Texas?
Other?

(poll forthcoming)

SI

JonInMiddleGA
01-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Florida, it's not even a question at this point. And really hasn't seemed like much of a question since they beat Alabama.

And if I had an actual ballot, I'd probably go Florida, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Utah.

Young Drachma
01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Go Fish!

Racer
01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Utah

sterlingice
01-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Go Fish!

Well, I had to go with Trout U because I didn't want to give the playoff option. That would detract from the poll, I think

SI

Young Drachma
01-08-2009, 10:56 PM
I think you have to go with Florida, but...that said, I think Utah -- with the lack of a playoff -- deserves at least a claim to something. They beat the same team Florida did to get to the BCS championship, without the preparation that most folks use to deprive them of the opportunity.

So with that, I say that they deserve a shot. Would they win on the field? Probably not. But I don't think I expected them to get past Alabama the way they did. They didn't need the Statue of Liberty to do it, either.

duckman
01-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Florida. They were the best team in the country this year.

Cringer
01-08-2009, 11:06 PM
The only undefeated team.

Galaxy
01-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Does the fact that Utah defeated Oregon State, in which USC lost to, matter in who should be ahead between those two teams?

Jas_lov
01-08-2009, 11:10 PM
You can make an argument for or against all of these teams but it's irrelevant. Florida won the national championship game and the AP will also vote them #1 meaning the Gators are sole national champions. It's like Clint Eastwood once said, deserve's got nothing to do with it.

DanGarion
01-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Football didn't end on the 1st?

CU Tiger
01-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Florida is the NATIONAL CHAMPION...go ahead and count utah as #1 if you like.

Not unlike the NFL last year, New England was obviously #1 but the Giants were the champs....

Lathum
01-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Not unlike the NFL last year, New England was obviously #1 but the Giants were the champs....

you're dead to me

ISiddiqui
01-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Hell, I've had Florida #1 since mid-season - even since they completely took apart LSU and Kentucky in back to back weeks. And then they just kept on rolling.

dawgfan
01-09-2009, 12:55 AM
And if I had an actual ballot, I'd probably go Florida, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Utah.
Exactly how I'd vote as well.

kingnebwsu
01-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Utah #5? Wow. I'm a mid-major at heart I guess when I'd put them #1 or #2.

st.cronin
01-09-2009, 01:38 AM
There are really only two teams that have a reasonable claim to #1, Florida and Utah.

RainMaker
01-09-2009, 02:51 AM
AP Poll has been released. Florida #1 with 48 first place votes, Utah #2 with 16. Much closer than I thought it would be.

<table class="left" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>1. Florida</td> <td>13-1</td> <td>1,606</td> </tr> <tr class="io-evenRow"> <td>2. Utah</td> <td>13-0</td> <td>1,519</td> </tr> <tr> <td>3. USC</td> <td>12-1</td> <td>1,481</td> </tr> <tr class="io-evenRow"> <td>4. Texas</td> <td>12-1</td> <td>1,478</td> </tr> <tr> <td>5. Oklahoma</td> <td>12-2</td> <td>1,391</td> </tr> <tr class="io-evenRow"> <td>6. Alabama</td> <td>12-2</td> <td>1,264</td> </tr> <tr> <td>7. TCU</td> <td>11-2</td> <td>1,193</td> </tr> <tr class="io-evenRow"> <td>8. Penn State</td> <td>11-2</td> <td>1,153</td> </tr> <tr> <td>9. Ohio State</td> <td>10-3</td> <td>1,013</td> </tr> <tr class="io-evenRow"> <td>10. Oregon</td> <td>10-3</td> <td>997</td> </tr> <tr> <td>11. Boise State</td> <td>12-1</td> <td>938</td> </tr> <tr class="io-evenRow"> <td>12. Texas Tech</td> <td>11-2</td> <td>916</td> </tr> <tr> <td>13. Georgia</td> <td>10-3</td> <td>903</td> </tr> <tr class="io-evenRow"> <td>14. Mississippi</td> <td>9-4</td> <td>857</td> </tr> <tr> <td>15. Virginia Tech</td> <td>10-4</td> <td>712</td> </tr> <tr class="io-evenRow"> <td>16. Oklahoma State</td> <td>9-4</td> <td>534</td> </tr> <tr> <td>17. Cincinnati</td> <td>11-3</td> <td>506</td> </tr> <tr class="io-evenRow"> <td>18. Oregon State</td> <td>9-4</td> <td>467</td> </tr> <tr> <td>19. Missouri</td> <td>10-4</td> <td>435</td> </tr> <tr class="io-evenRow"> <td>20. Iowa</td> <td>9-4</td> <td>317</td> </tr> <tr> <td>21. Florida State</td> <td>9-4</td> <td>246</td> </tr> <tr class="io-evenRow"> <td>22. Georgia Tech</td> <td>9-4</td> <td>223</td> </tr> <tr> <td>23. West Virginia</td> <td>9-4</td> <td>144</td> </tr> <tr class="io-evenRow"> <td>24. Michigan State</td> <td>9-4</td> <td>138</td> </tr> <tr> <td>25. BYU</td> <td>10-3</td> <td>137</td></tr></tbody></table>

Butter
01-09-2009, 06:36 AM
I guess this year is a pretty good argument for the "plus-one" model.

ISiddiqui
01-09-2009, 07:17 AM
And USC over Texas for 3rd is a miniscule difference.

Young Drachma
01-09-2009, 07:22 AM

Given that #1 and #2 beat a common opponent in the post-season (tho obviously Florida had a game after the conference championship) makes you think, that yes, indeed it would be the case.

I'm just impressed with the AP for even putting Utah #2. I think for them, that's a coup.

Taur
01-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I am almost positive that I saw The Giants beat the PAtriots head to head in some kind of Playoff thingy last year to be #1. But, don't take my word on it as I was pretty drunk by the time the game ended last year. :)

ISiddiqui
01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
The point he's making is just because the Giants won one head to head matchup doesn't necessarily make them the better team. And I'd agree.

Young Drachma
01-09-2009, 09:53 AM
They weren't. But they still got the trophy. The BCS isn't the playoff we'd want, but it's still a playoff that the second-tier conferences agreed to. They're just as complicit, even if the outcome is lame. Sure, they have no power, but if they all banded together...they'd have a lot more say than they do now, but they're too concerned with trying to suck off the big conferences.

kcchief19
01-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Add one more to Utah's total. I accidentally hit USC and didn't catch it until I submitted it.

Utah won all the games put in front of them and their BCS bowl. What else can they do?

The Utah team that beat Alabama would have probably beat Florida or OU last night they way they played. Very lethargic performances.

Cringer
01-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Florida is the NATIONAL CHAMPION...go ahead and count utah as #1 if you like.

Very unlike the NFL last year actually. The Giants DEFEATED the Patriots in a head to head game, a game that was the final of a playoff. So the Giants were #1 and the Champions.

BrianD
01-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Very unlike the NFL last year actually. The Giants DEFEATED the Patriots in a head to head game, a game that was the final of a playoff. So the Giants were #1 and the Champions.

I never understand that arguments for a championship losing team to still be considered better than the team that beat them. Both teams knew this was a championship game, and both teams knew what was at stake. Both teams also had plenty of time to prepare for their opponents. The fact that a person thinks the losing team could beat the winning team in a majority of meaningless games doesn't change the outcome of the meaningful game. If you can't get it done under pressure, it doesn't really matter how you'd do without pressure.

Ryan S
01-09-2009, 12:55 PM

Would Utah have been in the mix with a plus-one playoff?

Chubby
01-09-2009, 03:41 PM
They weren't. But they still got the trophy. The BCS isn't the playoff we'd want, but it's still a playoff that the second-tier conferences agreed to. They're just as complicit, even if the outcome is lame. Sure, they have no power, but if they all banded together...they'd have a lot more say than they do now, but they're too concerned with trying to suck off the big conferences.

Of course they agreed because it's marginally better than before and didn't want to risk being shut out completely. Everyone knows where the power lies.

Buccaneer
01-09-2009, 05:38 PM
I put Utah #5 (just I like BYU in 1980 or something). Not being in the top 25 in SOS does that.

A plus+1 game would be Florida-USC. Texas-Oklahoma would play for the consolation prize.

Crim
01-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Bah! Detroit would paste any of these teams. Where's the Lions option, SI???

dawgfan
01-10-2009, 01:34 AM
I put Utah #5 (just I like BYU in 1980 or something)
1984 to be precise - I know this because it was my Huskies that ended up #2 that year.

Vegas Vic
01-10-2009, 02:07 AM
I posted this in the bowl games thread, but seeing as how the bowls are over with, I'm re-posting it here.

I watched six of Utah's games this year, so I feel like I have a good handle on them. First, they have a damned good team, there's no question about that. However, I think that TCU was the best team in the Mountain West this year. They went into Salt Lake City on Nov. 6th, and absolutely dominated the game against Utah, outgaining the Utes 416-275. Utah won the game 13-10, due to TCU missing three chip shot field goals and dropping a wide open TD pass. It was as much as a gift win as you'll ever see.

Then, Utah caught the perfect storm against an unmotivated Alabama team in the Sugar Bowl, and to their credit, they took full advantage of it.

However, if you put this team up against a motivated USC, Florida or Texas in a championship scenerio, they wouldn't come close to winning the game.

RainMaker
01-10-2009, 05:19 AM
The saddest part about this all ending is that I'd have loved to have seen Tebow go against that USC defense. Most of those kids are going to be gone next year. One of the greatest college QBs of all time against one of the best college defenses we've seen in awhile.

I also agree with Vegas Vic. At the end of the year, TCU was a better team than Utah. Their defense is definitely a top 5 defense in college football, maybe even #2. I thought they could have been a BCS buster this year but really laid an egg at Oklahoma early on. I saw that game and they just got taken by surprise in the first quarter. Played solid after that, but couldn't recover.

TCU could be good again next year. They lose a lot of starters but Hughes has said he's going to stay. He could be the best defensive player in college football next year. Unfortunately, I've heard they are having trouble scheduling teams. MWC has a shitty TV deal with Versus and any big schools don't want to play without ESPN/ABC getting the game rights.

BishopMVP
01-10-2009, 05:29 AM
I agree with VegasVic etc, that I thought/(think) TCU was the best team in the MWC as a betting man, but Utah stepped up, won all its games and didn't leave things up for debate. How can you turn down a team that went undefeated, won on the road at multiple FBS teams and locc'ed Alabama in a bowl game?

BishopMVP
01-10-2009, 05:41 AM
One of the greatest college QBs of all time against one of the best college defenses we've seen in awhile.at least you didn't say the best ever. "Spend 20 minutes with Tim Tebow and you will be a better person" yeesh, those announcers were terrible. Like seriously? Tommie Frazier didn't run the option better?I also agree with Vegas Vic. At the end of the year, TCU was a better team than Utah. Their defense is definitely a top 5 defense in college football, maybe even #2. I thought they could have been a BCS buster this year but really laid an egg at Oklahoma early on. I saw that game and they just got taken by surprise in the first quarter. Played solid after that, but couldn't recover.You can't claim that. 1) TCU didn't lay an egg - they got beat straight up. I defended them as the 8th best team in the country, but OU outclassed them in September. 2)Utah surprised Alabama and was up 21-0 early. TCU surprised OU and was up 3-0.TCU could be good again next year. They lose a lot of starters but Hughes has said he's going to stay. He could be the best defensive player in college football next year. Unfortunately, I've heard they are having trouble scheduling teams. MWC has a shitty TV deal with Versus and any big schools don't want to play without ESPN/ABC getting the game rights.Hughes isn't that good- he's Dwight Freeney redux aka put slow LT/TE's out there and he'll get 2-3 sacks in a games, put a decent tackle out there and he's nothing special. Still, in that conference he'll get ~20 sacks.

cougarfreak
01-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Personally, I think Utah hands down. Their SOS wasn't great, but when they did play the best team on their schedule (Alabama, who was a top 10 team), they whipped them, worse than the so called champ, Florida.

Cringer
01-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Hey, what a surprise here.....we will never f'n know guys, no point in arguing it. ;)