PDA

View Full Version : Am I ever going to receive a new text sim to play???

TheOhioStateUniversity
01-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Whats going on in the text sim market, all of the games seem to be in development or vaporware? Mind you I am only interested in NFL, NBA, or an MLB sim not called OOTP. FOF, Heavyreign, Gary Gorski, Arles where are you guys? I remember the days when I had trouble dividing my time between sims, now there are no new games to play. It sucks, I need a distraction from the monotony that is graduate school! End of rant.

Antmeister
01-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't quite remember where there was a drought this long for new text sim games. Gary Gorski is probably the best bet since he has released the more recent games, but I expected 2 competing football sims by now.

st.cronin
01-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Solecismic in particular has fallen behind. I expected tcy2 in the fall.

Kodos
01-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Buckeyes Football/Basketball >>>> Your Favorite School

Unless your school is Florida. Or Texas. Or USC. Or...

SteveMax58
01-09-2009, 07:29 PM
I hear ya. Let's 2009 brings some new versions/games.

And for God's sake...somebody make Football a priority!!!

RedHawk00
01-09-2009, 07:41 PM
i am itching for a new college football game... needs some ointment for this itch...

Raiders Army
01-09-2009, 08:09 PM
It's the recession.

CraigSca
01-09-2009, 08:44 PM
franchisebaseball.com is currently unavailable. :p

PadresFan104
01-09-2009, 09:24 PM
This is the main reason for my renewed interest in Card & Dice games...

DanGarion
01-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I saw an ad for Boss Baseball...

DanGarion
01-09-2009, 10:28 PM

Yeah, I'd like to get some of thsoe I can play solitaire wise, but I don't know what's good.

TheOhioStateUniversity
01-09-2009, 10:52 PM
touche Kodos...for the time being...hence the change in font from the previous billboard level setting. Still a declaration but not one I can currently make as confidently...Always next year

Atocep
01-10-2009, 12:31 AM
You'd think the lack of text sims would increase my desire to play one, but its had the opposite effect. Outside of a solid college football game my desire to play text sims has decreased substantially over the past year or so.

Galaril
01-10-2009, 01:43 AM

Yeah, I'd like to get some of thsoe I can play solitaire wise, but I don't know what's good.

Yup, not that the sports text sim develpoers are going to lsoe any sleep over it but the drought over the last year or so has really soured me on sports text sims and pc games as well. But, with that I have a reintroduced sports card and dice games into my life and after ALOT of sampling, discussing with more seasoned players in the community have finally got myself a long term solution to my pro football as well as college football along with a pro basketball game as well.

I can highly recommend Inside Blitz for the NCAA game and for the NFL you need look no further Second Season is incredible and if it did the college teams I would say that is all youneed but as of now it is strictly pro only. I think it is even better than a text sim. Now if you need a career game of coursae board games wont be of any use.

Inside Blitz:
Inside Sports Games (http://www.insidesportsgames.org/)

Second Season:Football Products (http://www.replaybb.com/FBPages/FootballProducts.htm)

NCAA Six Points is afree quick play NCAA football game (for generating a full schedule of game scores so if you just want to play one teams schedule, but still have a full league scoreboard:
College Football Games and Tools - Score Generator (http://sixpoints.slosoft.com/pages/football-score-generator)

Tabletop Sports Forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/tabletopsports/start

QP Football is a good free one for quick replay of a schdule for games:tabletop-sports.com :: Where rolling the dice is King! (http://www.tabletop-sports.com/modules.php?name=UpDownload&req=viewsdownload&sid=30)

CraigSca
01-10-2009, 06:41 AM
And if you're looking for a baseball game - you can't go wrong with Inside Sports' Inside Pitch (see Galaril's link above). All the results are card-driven (very few chart look-ups) and the engine itself is based on DIPS. By default, this makes it the baseball game I view as the most like real baseball.

JimboJ
01-10-2009, 08:25 AM
I was looking at the Second Season website and I'm intrigued. I have played almost all of the computer football sims going back to Front Page Sports Football, but have never tried a table top game. I'm especially curious about the solitaire aspect of it, where you control both teams. If I'm controlling both teams, then where is the challenge? If I know what offensive play is called, then I know what defense to call, and vice versa. Am I trying to outwit myself?? Can someone explain exactly how this works?

Galaril
01-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I was looking at the Second Season website and I'm intrigued. I have played almost all of the computer football sims going back to Front Page Sports Football, but have never tried a table top game. I'm especially curious about the solitaire aspect of it, where you control both teams. If I'm controlling both teams, then where is the challenge? If I know what offensive play is called, then I know what defense to call, and vice versa. Am I trying to outwit myself?? Can someone explain exactly how this works?

Second season and Inside Blitz have solitaire systems built in to help solitaire players be honest. For Second Season, I recommend the FACs cards with the game instead of using the dice. The FACS cards are 144 cards that you flip for a play and check for the defenses play as well as your own. It is based on game score, quarter, down distance etc. It is very well done and makes the game move along. You can also use the dice numbers the cards have to eliminate even rolling the "bones" (dice) . I myself like rolling dice but since trying the FACs I haven't gone back to them......... I am not affiliated with the game in anyway other than I really like it. I can't stress enough how great this one is. The charts in alot 32 but they are all to gether ina greta stand up easel thing for the table that is a great innovation by Replay. Also, keep in mind there are a numbe of NFL seasons that have been "carded" by the community since Pete Ventura the developer has released teh rulkes for making teams and seasons sets. So far there are all the seaosn Replay sells and also 1986,1981 (we just did this one over the holidays), 1989,1991, 1996.
The game has 14 days money back guarantee but if you get the game you won't need to return it.

PadresFan104
01-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Galaril - I've noticed many posts from you over on the Delphi forums so I was sure you'd jump in on this thread. ;)

I'll go ahead and add to the suggestions. Personally, I'm more of a "results" oriented gamer, so I am having a blast with Jeff Downey Games "Game Winning Drive Football". I know this won't be many players cup of tea, as it is a Quick Play style game with very little strategy, but it's a lot of fun.

The idea is very simple, and the elegance of the system is what continually impresses me. Each team has 10 total drives in the game. 5 in each half. Each drive result is determined by the roll of 4 dice. It takes about 15 minutes to setup and play a complete game. The elegance comes into play with the team ratings. These ratings are basic modifiers to the scoring chances of the opposing team. Game after game I "see" the impact that good or bad defenses (both passing and rushing) have on the final outcome.

There are other little nuances to the game such as possible Kick and Punt Returns for TD's, good field position for turnovers, 2-point conversions, onside kicks, etc. I'm currently playing out the 2008 playoffs using GWD and am up to the Championship games. I should also point out that this has been a great game to play with my 12 year old son. Good fun quality time.

You can find info about the game here:
Game Winning Drive 2008 Professional E-Book - $9.95 : Welcome to Downey Games!, ...Rolling the Dice is still King here too! (http://www.downeygames.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_6_84&products_id=1511)

Galaril
01-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Galaril - I've noticed many posts from you over on the Delphi forums so I was sure you'd jump in on this thread. ;)

I'll go ahead and add to the suggestions. Personally, I'm more of a "results" oriented gamer, so I am having a blast with Jeff Downey Games "Game Winning Drive Football". I know this won't be many players cup of tea, as it is a Quick Play style game with very little strategy, but it's a lot of fun.

The idea is very simple, and the elegance of the system is what continually impresses me. Each team has 10 total drives in the game. 5 in each half. Each drive result is determined by the roll of 4 dice. It takes about 15 minutes to setup and play a complete game. The elegance comes into play with the team ratings. These ratings are basic modifiers to the scoring chances of the opposing team. Game after game I "see" the impact that good or bad defenses (both passing and rushing) have on the final outcome.

There are other little nuances to the game such as possible Kick and Punt Returns for TD's, good field position for turnovers, 2-point conversions, onside kicks, etc. I'm currently playing out the 2008 playoffs using GWD and am up to the Championship games. I should also point out that this has been a great game to play with my 12 year old son. Good fun quality time.

You can find info about the game here:
Game Winning Drive 2008 Professional E-Book - $9.95 : Welcome to Downey Games!, ...Rolling the Dice is still King here too! (http://www.downeygames.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_6_84&products_id=1511)

I will chime in on this as well GWD is really good actually and if anyone is interested in trying it out I have the NCAA 1-A AND the 1-AA with all teams that is 242 teams for sale on the cheap. And for anyone who likes the NFL more I have the 1999 season the Rams vs. Titans Super Bowl year for sale as well. If interested drop me a PM and we can work something out.

Anthony
01-10-2009, 12:05 PM
we really should try to be the first community to come up with a wikigame. just think of how awesome wikipedia has become, what humans are capable of when everyone pools their knowledge and resources together.

everyone who is capable could contribute. some could be coders. others could do graphics. other could research old rosters and stats. just think of the amazing football game we could have if we did it ourselves. and there wouldn't be any concern for who gets profits cuz the game would be free.

wouldn't this be the first (in terms of games)? just think if we had like everyone who was interested working on this we could crank something out by the start of the next football season.

JonInMiddleGA
01-10-2009, 12:07 PM
wouldn't this be the first (in terms of games)? just think if we had like everyone who was interested working on this we could crank something out by the start of the next football season.

For computer sims, it might be a first. But for the tabletop community I've seen several games that essentially became collaborations, some that appeared to be pretty impromptu.

Anthony
01-10-2009, 12:09 PM
i'm not interested in tabletop. i'm talking pure PC game. it'd be huge. first of it's kind. usher in a new age of open source wiki-games. if i knew how to code games i'd help get it started, but i'd be more of a graphics/research/stats guy.

JimboJ
01-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Second season and Inside Blitz have solitaire systems built in to help solitaire players be honest. For Second Season, I recommend the FACs cards with the game instead of using the dice. The FACS cards are 144 cards that you flip for a play and check for the defenses play as well as your own. It is based on game score, quarter, down distance etc. It is very well done and makes the game move along. You can also use the dice numbers the cards have to eliminate even rolling the "bones" (dice) . I myself like rolling dice but since trying the FACs I haven't gone back to them......... I am not affiliated with the game in anyway other than I really like it. I can't stress enough how great this one is. The charts in alot 32 but they are all to gether ina greta stand up easel thing for the table that is a great innovation by Replay. Also, keep in mind there are a numbe of NFL seasons that have been "carded" by the community since Pete Ventura the developer has released teh rulkes for making teams and seasons sets. So far there are all the seaosn Replay sells and also 1986,1981 (we just did this one over the holidays), 1989,1991, 1996.
The game has 14 days money back guarantee but if you get the game you won't need to return it.

So if I understand correctly, the playcalling on offense and defense is basically random based on shuffling and flipping the cards, with multiple plays on each card based on down, distance, field position, etc? So there is really no strategy involved - just watching the game play itself out?

Galaril
01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
No alot of strategy actually more than in a pc game or strat IMHO. I generally use the cards to guide me in my play selection for both teams but if it situation where it is 2 and 1 and a probable run play I might call a long pass play knowing the defense is looking for a run. But, if you can't be unbiased in how you look at play selection no solitaire system will work since you can always cheat I mean who is there to say something.

Galaril
01-10-2009, 03:10 PM
i'm not interested in tabletop. i'm talking pure PC game. it'd be huge. first of it's kind. usher in a new age of open source wiki-games. if i knew how to code games i'd help get it started, but i'd be more of a graphics/research/stats guy.

No disrepsect but what an incredibly bad idea. I mean the waste majority of text sims I have played have needed numerous patches after release to be really ready for primetime and now we want to do a comunity project it might work like the openbsd but I doubt it for this audience.

Anthony
01-10-2009, 03:52 PM
of course its not for this audience. its much easier to criticize a game like Maximum Football that tried to shoot for the stars (and failed) than it is to pool resources together and attempt to do something grand.

its always much easier to be a critic than an artist.

RedKingGold
01-10-2009, 04:18 PM
of course its not for this audience. its much easier to criticize a game like Maximum Football that tried to shoot for the stars (and failed) than it is to pool resources together and attempt to do something grand.

its always much easier to be a critic than an artist.

Well, criticism for Maximum Football stemmed largely from the developer's attitude towards FOFC and the text-sim community in general.

Even if the quality of the game was no better, I doubt that that MF thread would have even gone 20 pages if not for their fuel to the fire.