PDA

View Full Version : 24 Season 7 Thread

DeToxRox
01-11-2009, 11:47 AM
After a year, Jack is back tonight!

I am actually pumped, even though I was not a big fan of season 6. Hopefully the year off let them tighten it up and make it more like the first couple of seasons. I know the creater said that was the plan, but who knows.

Anyways, four hours in two days is a great thing.

Who's watching?

Logan
01-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm in. Actually just finally watched Redemption this morning so I could be caught up.

Radii
01-11-2009, 11:58 AM
In, but will be a few days behind, I still have Redemption on the DVR and won't have time to watch it today between the two football games and UNC/Wake Forest tonight.

The last couple seasons I haven't been terribly excited for the start of the show but as soon as I watch the first couple hours I'm hooked again. I expect the same this year :D

DeToxRox
01-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Redemption was good. Better then I thought. Still as violent as ever, but they definetly tried making it tug at the heartstrings too.

Scoobz0202
01-11-2009, 12:05 PM
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being absolutely necessary, is it necessary that I watch Redemption before tonight?

I enjoyed season one of 24 but then the next couple seasons kinda were blah so I'm wanting to give it a go again.

DeToxRox
01-11-2009, 12:10 PM
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being absolutely necessary, is it necessary that I watch Redemption before tonight?

I enjoyed season one of 24 but then the next couple seasons kinda were blah so I'm wanting to give it a go again.

No I don't think so.

You can probably Wikipedia it, get the plot, and be fine.

I think it was more or less something to tide people over.

DeToxRox
01-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Redemption Spoiler:

All it is is showing how Jack got back to the US. He was in Africa helping a friend at his school for some villages. Some Warlords come in trying to kidnap kids and make them become soldiers. As this is going on a US Embassy is trying to serve Jack so he testifies about how his torture and such in the past.

Jack kills a lot of people but his friend dies as war breaks out. He has to take the kids to be sent to America, but they need a legal citizen, so they strongarm Jack into turning himself in to save the kids.

I think that's it.

Scoobz0202
01-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Nice. Thanks DeTox.

DeToxRox
01-11-2009, 12:16 PM
I'd watch Redemption at some point though.

Some cool stuff in it. The grenade scene was pretty awesome.

Scoobz0202
01-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Saw it is on the fox website. I'm going to start it up right now and watch it alongside the game.

Honolulu_Blue
01-11-2009, 02:27 PM
I gave up in the middle of last season. Right after he caught the terrorist dude and the Chinese dude called and said they had his girlfriend hostage. Last season was abysmal.

Logan
01-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Agreed on last season. I'm expecting the first four hours to be great again (they were last time), but it will be on a short leash for me afterwards.

EagleFan
01-11-2009, 03:14 PM
My brother tells me that there was a mistake in production in Redemption. Says there is a scene where you actually see one of the cameramen in the background shooting the other angle. Haven't seen it but may watch it before the show airs tonight.

Logan
01-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Strong start.

PackerFanatic
01-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Redemption helps give a little background, but isn't vital.

Still, I enjoyed the first two hours and I am still very curious how they are going to work this Tony angle. I am still skeptical.

AlexB
01-12-2009, 05:16 PM
So... did they write the explanation as to how Tony may have not been dead before the writers came back? How do you spell convoluted?

Other than that was typical 24: lots of agents with blatant disregard for orders and assignments, but lots of fun.

Logan
01-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Not the first time a dead guy came back to life.

Captain2711
01-12-2009, 09:51 PM
i don't care for the presidential spouse side story they decide is always necessary in these seasons. I guess we are in for another crazy spouse. How long before he is on Mrs. Logan's medication?

lungs
01-12-2009, 09:54 PM
i don't care for the presidential spouse side story they decide is always necessary in these seasons. I guess we are in for another crazy spouse. How long before he is on Mrs. Logan's medication?

The crazy spouse who turns out not to be so crazy? But still ends up crazy?

Scoobz0202
01-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Just watched the first two episodes. Found the first half hour or so of the first episode boring and figured that I wouldn't be able to get back into the show. I watched both episodes, though, and now I can't wait till next Monday.

DanGarion
01-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Not really sure if I like this season already...

I think Alias already did this season, I mean come one, covert black ops stuff is so played out...

Radii
01-13-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm caught up now, this series has long since turned from awesome show to guilty pleasure for me, but whatever it is, I'll be watching.

My main comment so far is: Janeane Garofalo, WTF. That's way more weird than Rick Shroder last season.

Radii
01-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Needs more Chloe.

NoSkillz
01-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Meh, I'm liking the season so far. Jack burying that FBI agent alive is pretty cool but no where near as cool as him killing Chappelle in Season Two or cutting Chase's arm off in season three.

That said, I'm enjoying the season and am intrigued by the vice president's husband's storyline as well. I'm wondering if the producers are going to take the easy way out and have him get out of his jam or if they are going to follow through on what looks to be happening.

Looking forward to next week. But yeah, we also need more Chloe.

Fighter of Foo
01-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Agreed on last season. I'm expecting the first four hours to be great again (they were last time), but it will be on a short leash for me afterwards.

The first four hours were again awesome. Sadly, I'm getting bored already and it's only hour 6 or 7.

Wish they could keep the pace up. :(

Logan
01-23-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm cool with it so far. Since it's been awhile since it was on, I have to remember to stop catching myself on all the ridiculous improbable things and just motor through.

DanGarion
01-23-2009, 08:59 AM
The first four hours were again awesome. Sadly, I'm getting bored already and it's only hour 6 or 7.

Wish they could keep the pace up. :(
Huh, they just finished hour 5.

Fighter of Foo
01-23-2009, 09:03 AM
5 then ;)

kingfc22
01-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Enjoying the ride so far. The story came out of the gates strong...Here's hoping they can make it last the entire season.

Radii
01-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Needs more Chloe.

"Are you with the FBI?"

"What? I'm a stay at home mom. Now open your mouth"

:D :D

I'm enjoying this season so far, it looks like things will start heating up next week.

Logan
01-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Eh, I really, really had trouble with last night's episode.

hoopsguy
01-27-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm enjoying this season so far, it looks like things will start heating up next week.

Hope you are right, but I think that the useless time-filler portion of the show is about to start. I've got this sinking feeling that Jack is ending up in Ohio rather than in the "secret underground lair" where the bad guys are running stuff.

Radii
01-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Hope you are right, but I think that the useless time-filler portion of the show is about to start. I've got this sinking feeling that Jack is ending up in Ohio rather than in the "secret underground lair" where the bad guys are running stuff.

That may well be true, especially since this season appears unlikely to have 2 or 3 layers or "who the real mastermind behind the plan is" that would usually fill these episodes.

I think at this point I have just come to terms with where 24 has come. I mentioned it earlier, but I'm really not enjoying this season the same way I enjoyed earlier ones. I mostly enjoy it as a guilty pleasure watching the show become a caricature of its earlier days, plus there's some good action at times.

Plus, as anyone who reads my posts in this thread could tell, I'm in love with Chloe. :D

Scoobz0202
03-03-2009, 06:45 PM
I am really enjoying this season, and am really excited for next week.

That being said, I don't think I have ever seen less happen in two hours in my entire life.

sabotai
03-03-2009, 06:50 PM
I've liked the season, but the episodes shown last night were really "meh".

DanGarion
03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Jack Bauer, "TELL ME WHAT YOU DID WITH JA-BOOTY!"

PackerFanatic
03-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I've liked the season, but the episodes shown last night were really "meh".

Really? I finally got a chance to watch them tonight and I thought they were the best of the season so far. I really like Cherry Jones as the president and I think they have really stepped it up this year.

Radii
03-10-2009, 12:14 AM
damn, silent clock. Also, nifty ending to this episode.

DanGarion
03-10-2009, 01:02 AM
OMG...... They..... Killed....
BILL!!!!!!!

Neuqua
03-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Wow, where do they go from here?

DanGarion
03-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow, where do they go from here?
I'm sure Jack will be cured up by the end of the next eppy.

Kodos
03-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Jack's job makes mine seem not so bad.

NoSkillz
03-25-2009, 01:39 PM
This season has redeemed the show in my eyes. It was truly getting stale with the CTU stuff and now it seems a lot fresher.

Arles
03-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Agreed. The white house aspect has mixed things up a bit.

path12
03-25-2009, 03:17 PM
This is my first season watching. Things that have jumped out to this Jack Bauer noob:

1) All the dialog is used to keep restating the current plot point and how it fits into the story to date. I find this hilarious.

2) I'm not sure if pointing out all the holes in the plot is part of the fun or if it is just unintentionally cool.

3) Who knew that holding ones breath will protect you from a leaking bio-weapon?

4) Jack Bauer would totally kick Chuck Norris' ass.

5) Freckles is pretty hot.

Ronnie Dobbs2
03-25-2009, 03:40 PM
This is my first season watching. Things that have jumped out to this Jack Bauer noob:

1) All the dialog is used to keep restating the current plot point and how it fits into the story to date. I find this hilarious.

This is not totally true, as it leaves out "THERE'S NO TIME!" and "WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR?"

Kodos
03-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Don't forget "DO YOUR JOB!" and "WHERE IS THE ______?!?"

DanGarion
03-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Don't forget "DO YOUR JOB!" and "WHERE IS THE ______?!?"

TELL ME WHERE THE BOMB IS!

Arles
03-25-2009, 04:22 PM
And don't forget the inevitable "ARE YOU WILLING TO RISK YOUR CAREER TO PROTECT JACK BAUER"

That comes up atleast 4-5 times for different people.

path12
03-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Fair enough. 98% of the dialogue then. :)

path12
03-25-2009, 04:24 PM
And don't forget the inevitable "ARE YOU WILLING TO RISK YOUR CAREER TO PROTECT JACK BAUER"

That comes up atleast 4-5 times for different people.

I swear that came up 4-5 times last episode alone.

NoSkillz
04-16-2009, 08:38 AM
I guess I'm not surprised at how little attention this show is getting now after being stale for so long but MAN, this season has been solid.

Great episode this week, with Tony continuing to show shades of grey. Guess I could have done without the 'mature' Kim Bauer returning yet still calling Jack "daddy". I imagine she's going to stick around to help save Jack from the infection.

Still, it's been a very good year and getting out of CTU was the best thing the producers and writers could have done to freshen things up.

Ronnie Dobbs2
04-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Tony's just going EXTRA DEEP undercover.

Logan
04-16-2009, 08:42 AM
This season has been fantastic but they should've just called it "18" and ended it this week. The Tony twist makes no fucking sense at all.

Kodos
04-16-2009, 08:59 AM
I think it'd be cool, if the ratings were bad and they knew it was the final season, to let Jack finally die.

M GO BLUE!!!
04-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Part of me went "Tony... NO!" the other part laughed hysterically.

I do hope that they kill Kim though.

hoopsguy
04-16-2009, 09:56 AM
I agree that this season has been very strong up to this point. Sure there have been some silly plots, but nothing that feels like 3 lost hours (Kim's amnesia in season 1, presidents wife is loopy/on pills a couple of years back).

Going into the year, I was ready to write this one off a couple of episodes in if it stunk but I've enjoyed the ride.

DanGarion
04-16-2009, 10:16 AM
This season has been fantastic but they should've just called it "18" and ended it this week. The Tony twist makes no fucking sense at all.

But I'm sure it will in 2 episodes.

lungs
04-16-2009, 10:18 AM
How many hours are left? How many more times will Jack go rogue?

Kodos
04-16-2009, 10:29 AM
As many times as it takes to stop the terrorists, son.

Logan
04-16-2009, 03:35 PM
But I'm sure it will in 2 episodes.

If it's fixed, it will only be because they've created some other implausible scenario with different plot holes.

DanGarion
04-16-2009, 04:02 PM
If it's fixed, it will only be because they've created some other implausible scenario with different plot holes.

But that is what's so awesome about this show.

flounder
04-16-2009, 04:03 PM

+1

I was really enjoying this season until that.

DanGarion
04-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Season 8 info. Warning spoilers!

Jack Bauer is taking on the Big Apple - TV Squad (http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/04/16/jack-bauer-is-taking-on-the-big-apple/)

Honolulu_Blue
04-16-2009, 04:10 PM

While I stopped watching the show midway through last season, that's always been the problem with it. There comes a time in the season, typically it's right around hour 18 when they seem to have run out of ideas and throw some random, crazy stupid ass shit in just to stretch it out a few more hours.

There was his wife's 1 hour amensia in the first season, there was the mugging of the Middle Eastern Jack Bauer guy by the random rednecks wandering around downtown L.A. in another season, and other similar events...

Logan
04-16-2009, 04:24 PM
In fairness though, in past seasons it happened much more frequently and earlier as well. There were a couple points this year where the normal eye-roll wasn't even enough to capture the ridiculousness (like the ease at tunneling into the White House), but a lack of realism is different than this latest "fuck you" insult to the audience.

sabotai
04-16-2009, 05:02 PM
I thought Tony's twist make perfect sense...

Logan
04-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Explain please.

path12
04-16-2009, 05:27 PM
As the new guy to 24, I can't say I was surprised by the Tony angle -- hell, there's seven(?) hours to go! Ms.path the 24 veteran just rolled her eyes and sighed. She loves that Tony Almeida.

Travis
04-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Just wait until the 20 hour mark when "Tony" pulls off his face to reveal that it's actually Michelle, who is not dead, but has just been wearing a Tony suit to enact her revenge plot.

sabotai
04-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Explain please.

I'd have to go back and read exactly what has happened to give a full rundown (Season 7 - Wiki 24 (http://24.wikia.com/wiki/Day_7) - has basically the book version of the season so far. They have a word-for-word run down of every episode). I don't want to talk details from memory because my memory sucks. :)

Cliff Notes version is that Tony assured Jack that he would turn himself in, but he'd then disappear and show up later with some "new intel" he got from supposedly following a lead. He always had some new intel, but we never knew where he got it from. I don't think Tony planned on ending up at Starkwood, killing Larry, or many other things, but he just never acted much like a "good guy".

I have no idea what Tony's original plan was or what exactly is his goal now (other than seemingly to obtain that bio weapon), but what doesn't make sense to me is that he would just turn himself over. If he wanted to just flee and disappear, he could have. If he really was going to turn himself in, he would have done so already. He was sticking around for a reason and making sure he was always in a position to stay out of custody for just a little longer.

Now, if they come back next week and have Tony say something along the lines of "Haha, I planned it all, ain't I a genius?" THEN I'll be like "What!? Fucking bullshit!" *change channel*. He's clearly been improsing for quite awhile and there's no possible way he planned much of what happened the last several hours, if anything at all. But throughout the season, Tony's been secretative, disappearing and reappearing at the right times, and always seemed to be working on the darker shade of gray. I'm not at all surprised he "turned" and think it makes perfect sense with the direction his character arc (and the plot in general) has been going. Killing Larry was just an unfortunate, but needed, improvision.

But like I said, one misstep and it will go from "I can totally see how this makes sense" to "Oh fuck you 24".

Given past seasons, I'm not optimistic it will stay the former. (I stopped watching last season after the first 4 or 5 episodes because it went the "Fuckin' give me a break" route so early)

NoSkillz
04-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Anyone here think there's any chance of Larry being alive due to the fact they didn't have the 'silent sendoff' (ie: no beeping noise at the end of the show) for him?

Perhaps that's just reserved for long-time characters though but I was a bit surprised when the show ended, as normal.

thealmighty
04-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I'd have to...

What's the matter with you, sab? This is a thread about 24 and that makes sense. Incongruity.

Now go watch a movie and write it up, for god's sakes.

sabotai
04-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Now go watch a movie and write it up, for god's sakes.

Ok.

Radii
04-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Just wait until the 20 hour mark when "Tony" pulls off his face to reveal that it's actually Michelle, who is not dead, but has just been wearing a Tony suit to enact her revenge plot.

That would be awesome. If there was anyone on the show I had the hots for more than Chloe, it was Michelle.

the tony thing wasn't really a surprise given 24's history and the amount of time left. He's looked shady all season, there have been 4 or 5 times when I expected him to turn and was always surprised that he hadn't.

Logan
04-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Anyone here think there's any chance of Larry being alive due to the fact they didn't have the 'silent sendoff' (ie: no beeping noise at the end of the show) for him?

Perhaps that's just reserved for long-time characters though but I was a bit surprised when the show ended, as normal.

Renee got the silent clock in that episode where they buried her, and she obviously had a shorter run than Larry at that point.

And to sab...I totally see where you're coming from, and yeah it makes sense for Tony to take another turn. But like you said, my problem with it is there is no way it makes logical sense for this to have been some master plan (and how could it not be, given that he was "in" with that black dude).

kingfc22
04-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Didn't see that one coming, but not surprising having watched all seasons of 24.

Somebody is always going from bad to good to bad again.

Logan
04-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Yep, no indication yet as to how Tony planned all this out. Still an excellent episode, I'm glad they didn't draw out Jack realizing what Tony had done.

Biggest surprise of the episode for me was when they showed Kim's husband and I realized I went to high school with the guy. Amazingly enough, his HS girlfriend was hotter than Elisha Cuthbert.

DeToxRox
04-21-2009, 10:16 AM
I think it's fairly obvious Tony put the pussy on a pedestal.

I am partly joking. I sure hope that isn't why.

TheNorm
04-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Well good luck, Tony. When Jack's feeling just a bit better he's going to destroy you.

Great season so far.

sabotai
04-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Yep, no indication yet as to how Tony planned all this out.

We found out Tony works for other people and that the owner of Starkwood worked for those same people. We also found out that those people got uberpissed when the owner of Starkwood (can't think of his name) used the bio weapon for his own purposes. I'm guessing that's when they informed Tony of his new objective, to get the bio weapon out of Starkwood and destroy the evidence (blow up the fuel tanks, etc).

Logan
04-21-2009, 02:49 PM
We found out Tony works for other people and that the owner of Starkwood worked for those same people. We also found out that those people got uberpissed when the owner of Starkwood (can't think of his name) used the bio weapon for his own purposes. I'm guessing that's when they informed Tony of his new objective, to get the bio weapon out of Starkwood and destroy the evidence (blow up the fuel tanks, etc).

Ok, that's fine and all, but Tony was able get be on the Starkwood property alone to blow up the fuel tanks and convince the Starkwood guy to help him grab the cannister because (and let's follow this :))...

Tony was being held in Starkwood by that one bad dude. Seiden then "shot" said dude and told Tony he wanted to rat on Hodges and would do so for a Presidential pardon. That's when Larry and the FBI ended up at the one building where Seiden told them the weapons were being housed. Turns out that wasn't the case and the FBI encounters the Starkwood army, led by the formerly shot dude. Seiden sacrificed himself to protect Hodges. At this point, they know they're screwed, so Jack convinces Larry to back everyone off, but to create a diversion so Tony can stick around and be the eyes on the ground. Then we see Larry punch that one dude and Tony grabs a soldier's pack and hides. Sooo...how was all of that planned by Tony?

They could say that Seiden is working with the other organization, but then it wouldn't make sense that he wouldn't have just led the FBI to the right building if he wanted to destroy the missiles like the org wanted. And even then, you still have Jack and Larry being the principle people who allowed Tony to stick around the base.

sabotai
04-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Ok, that's fine and all, but Tony was able get be on the Starkwood property alone to blow up the fuel tanks and convince the Starkwood guy to help him grab the cannister

It's pretty clear he convinced the one guy to help him a good amount of time before he blew up the tanks. While Tony was blowing up the tanks, the other guy was taking a canister of the bio weapon out of the area. We have no idea when Tony turned him.

Sooo...how was all of that planned by Tony?

I already said last week that he's been improvising to stay out of custody, and plans change based on changing situations. If Tony wasn't able to stay on the base, he or the organization would have come up with a different plan to get the bioweapon out and punish Hodges. Tony would have come up with some other way to stay out of custody. In fact, he was probably well on his way to getting an immediate pardon since Jack had already convinced the President to essentially do that.

Just because something happened one way doesn't mean it was the only way it could have happened and that it must have been part of a master plan.

Logan
04-21-2009, 03:40 PM
I call all of that a plot hole. Multiple actually.

path12
04-22-2009, 02:01 PM
I call all of that a plot hole. Multiple actually.

It's my impression that it'd be easier to tighten up Octomom than the holes in 24. I'm enjoying it though (which I doubt would be the case with Octomom).

M GO BLUE!!!
04-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Tony should know something about assuming someone will die.

I don't thing Jack will like this very much.

I also think the Vice-Pres has a hand in all this.

M GO BLUE!!!
04-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Oops! Did anybody else notice how the FBI forgot about the Starkwood guy at the same time Tony killed him?

sabotai
04-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Oops! Did anybody else notice how the FBI forgot about the Starkwood guy at the same time Tony killed him?

Yes.

flounder
04-28-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm still not buying it.

So right after Tony risks his life to stop the launching of the missles, he says "Hey lets launch an attack right now"? Why not just let the missles launch?

Arles
04-28-2009, 03:24 PM
This is one loophole I understand. Once Jack knew Tony was involved and helped the guy escape, it was safe to assume the other guy was a stooge for Tony. And, if you found Tony, you would find the canister.

Looking for the other guy at that point wouldn't gain you much.

Logan
04-28-2009, 03:27 PM
To that point though, the last Jack and co knew, the two were separated. If you found the random dude, there's a chance he would not have met Tony yet to give him the cannister.

Radii
04-28-2009, 03:32 PM
All this logic will ruin your enjoyment of 24! Instead lets revel in the scene where Chloe gets to be a total bitch to Jeneane Garofalo. That was awesome.

Logan
04-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Nah, the only thing that hurt this season for me (and brought it down from the classic level of S1) is the Tony turn, again because it still doesn't make sense from a logical, event by event standpoint (sorry sab). All the rest of it is just message board stuff to argue about :).

M GO BLUE!!!
04-28-2009, 03:59 PM
I did notice something in this episode I had not really noticed before.

Chloe has a nice rack.

sabotai
04-28-2009, 05:22 PM
All this logic will ruin your enjoyment of 24! Instead lets revel in the scene where Chloe gets to be a total bitch to Jeneane Garofalo. That was awesome.

It was even better when Jack got in her face and yelled at her because of her whining. That's something I think we've all wanted to do at some point.

Nah, the only thing that hurt this season for me (and brought it down from the classic level of S1) is the Tony turn, again because it still doesn't make sense from a logical, event by event standpoint (sorry sab). All the rest of it is just message board stuff to argue about :).

Would it hurt your feelings if I told you I honestly couldn't give a shit if you thought it was logical or not? :) I think the turn is completely logical with how the season has played out and Tony's behavior from the first episode, but the execution of it has been under par.

Logan
04-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Would it hurt your feelings if I told you I honestly couldn't give a shit if you thought it was logical or not? :) I think the turn is completely logical with how the season has played out and Tony's behavior from the first episode, but the execution of it has been under par.

Haha...I fully agree with this, don't worry.

Ronnie Dobbs2
05-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Just watched the last 3 episodes last night. Still enjoying this season, but both the concept and particularly the execution of THE GROUP with fleeting glimpses of eyeballs and mouths and voice distortion machines was fucking stupid.

Logan
05-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Sports Guy said it well (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090505&sportCat=nba):

3. Continuing the Jack Bauer and Dwyane Wade parallels, "24" is falling apart as fast as Wade's MVP campaign and postseason did. I actually fell asleep during Monday night's episode. I do not normally fall asleep during TV shows that I enjoy. This season's writing staff threw a phenomenal 6 2/3 innings and completely ran out of gas. To paraphrase Jack, "Tell me what happened to the good ideas!!! TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GOOD IDEAS!!!!"

sabotai
05-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Kim being central to the season finale? This is going to be the worst season finale ever, isn't it?

Logan
05-12-2009, 07:44 AM
They really shit the bed on that one. Way to piss off even the fans who will defend anything.

Noop
05-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Kim being central to the season finale? This is going to be the worst season finale ever, isn't it?

I am willing to give it a chance since this season has been stronger then some of the others. However when I saw Kim in the airport I knew she would some how play a part in the finale. Hopefully this leads to Jack getting the cure so he can come back next season.

DanGarion
05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
God... This ending looks pretty subpar now with them throwing another layer onto it, but I guess we will wait and see...

Logan
05-12-2009, 10:26 AM
I really wish they would just learn from past seasons' mistakes...stop trying to reveal the "bigger and bigger" terror plot (although I still think it made much more sense for them to stick with Hodges' plan for the gas instead of the Metro attack) as well as the "bigger/deeper" bad guy as the day goes on. That's what was so great about season 1. Spend some more time in the middle on character development (since we don't know any of these people anymore) or slowly build to the apex with more side stories that aren't ridiculous filler.

Arles
05-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Back to the "Kim unknowingly walks into a buzz saw and Jack has to break 8 million laws to save her" formula. This show is becoming like ER or House in that you reach a saturation point of story templates and a good show becomes stale pretty quick.

I agree with the "season 1" idea of having one central plot line and simply building on it with smaller battles along the way. This "neutralize the major threat, then find a new major threat" plan that has repeated 4-5 times this season really gets hokey by the 6th threat.

lungs
05-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Back to the "Kim unknowingly walks into a buzz saw and Jack has to break 8 million laws to save her" formula. This show is becoming like ER or House in that you reach a saturation point of story templates and a good show becomes stale pretty quick.

I agree with the "season 1" idea of having one central plot line and simply building on it with smaller battles along the way. This "neutralize the major threat, then find a new major threat" plan that has repeated 4-5 times this season really gets hokey by the 6th threat.

+1

How many times this season have they breathed a sigh of relief like everything was over??

Logan
05-12-2009, 11:28 AM
I mean, there were no issues at the airport, on the Metro, or in the streets a couple hours after planes were flown into each other and the White House was attacked. They just like breathing those sighs quickly.

hoopsguy
05-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Let's not romanticize Season 1 too much. There was the wife with amnesia thing, just to name one completely worthless side plot.

I actually think they have done a better job in recent years of getting rid of entirely worthless plots that suck away 10 minutes of 5-10 episodes in the middle of the season. However, the tradeoff seems to be the "just one more bad guy" stuff has taken on a whole new level.

Am I the only guy that would be just fine with the show moving to "18" and giving us a really good plot rather than stretching it out to 24 real-time episodes where they have a cliff-hanger at the end of each? I'm guessing not, but it is kind of a worthless question since the show is not going to change. I just wish they could actually get 24 pretty good hours in one of these seasons rather than 8 really good/8 OK/8 garbage.

lungs
05-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Am I the only guy that would be just fine with the show moving to "18" and giving us a really good plot rather than stretching it out to 24 real-time episodes where they have a cliff-hanger at the end of each?

Definitely not. While I still watch every week, after about 18 hours or so it's more of a comedy of trying to predict what the next ridiculous plot twist is.

On the other hand, is there a tradeoff? Without ridiculous plot twists you'll have episodes where nothing happens (and I'd argue they even have that WITH the ridiculous plot twists).

And when does anybody take a dump?

hoopsguy
05-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Clearly when they are not on one of the four cameras coming back from commercial breaks.

Logan
05-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Am I the only guy that would be just fine with the show moving to "18" and giving us a really good plot rather than stretching it out to 24 real-time episodes where they have a cliff-hanger at the end of each? I'm guessing not, but it is kind of a worthless question since the show is not going to change. I just wish they could actually get 24 pretty good hours in one of these seasons rather than 8 really good/8 OK/8 garbage.

This guy (http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showpost.php?p=1993613&postcount=54) agrees with you :).

hoopsguy
05-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Heh - just picked "18" out of the air when I was posting :) Figured that was an achievable number based on culling out the crap from past seasons. In hindsight, I should have chosen 17 or 19 in order to be more original :)

flounder
05-18-2009, 10:16 PM
I had low expectations for the finale, but it surpassed them. Though I'm still not buying the various twists and turns of Tony, there was at least some rationale given. The scene where Renee asks Jack for advice was pretty good.

Overall I'll give this season a solid B, but it could have been so much better.

Logan
05-18-2009, 11:09 PM
I liked it all except when Jack was trying to rationalize Tony's turn to Renee..."he's getting the head guy, the guy who killed his wife"...dude, he just kidnapped your daughter.

M GO BLUE!!!
05-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Ending kinda sucked, but that's pretty much expected.

I would have preferred to simply have had Renee decide to transport Tony & Wilson together, making sure that Tony's handcuffs were properly "secured."