PDA

View Full Version : Ping Hornsmaniac (or actually anyone that wants to throw me a little dating advice)

panerd
01-11-2009, 11:51 AM
So I am coming out of a 2-year relationship and have gone on a couple of first dates that never really materialized. Well last night I went on a date and it was fantastic. I am aware from my younger years of the "rules" of the game but do 30 year olds (ie adults) still follow this? I wanted to send an e-mail saying I had a great time and leave it pretty brief but my friends are saying wait until Monday or Tuesday. Then she will have to play the same game and wait until Thursday or Friday and we probably won't go on another date until next week!

The way I figure either she had a great time also and will be happy that I e-mailed or didn't have a good time and in that case it won't matter. Am I being stupid by taking on the age old wait a few days and look interested but not desperate? It is scary that everyone I have talked to says to wait but they all say it's stupid and just something you do.

(I will not call like the guy in Swingers and leave 50 messages. Just a simple e-mail and maybe even acknowledge that I am breaking society's rules. Help me out FOFC)

Logan
01-11-2009, 11:55 AM
No, definitely be more direct.

I can tell you that in a bit of a younger age bracket (25), it's typical to send a post-date text message saying you had a good time, hope to do it again, etc. I think the whole text/IM generation has helped remove that older philosophy of waiting X days.

DeToxRox
01-11-2009, 11:59 AM
My advice is ask for Logan's friend Geoff's help.

But anyway, to help you old fucks:

I echo the text. Chances are she responds and you can take it from there. Send a couple texts back and forth, strike up a little conversation.

My favorite text is ask for nudes. Probably not for the 30 year olds, but it is so money for the 20 year olds. Sometimes you get lucky. Worst case scenario you get a laugh.

Win/win.

panerd
01-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah I agree. If she liked me she can't really be upset if I tell her I had a good time and if she didn't who gives a fuck? I just know that I have taken on some of societies other unwritten rules to disasterous consequences and didn't feel like screwing up something just because I couldn't wait a day.

Probably won't ask for the nudie pictures just yet. :-)

Logan
01-11-2009, 12:17 PM
My advice is ask for Logan's friend Geoff's help.

Hahaha. Winner.

Rizon
01-11-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm 32 and I'm dating for the first time in 12 years (recently divorced). My last date went well and I texted her the next day, and then she called me.
The 3 day rule is for fubes.

TCY Junkie
01-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I wasn't turned off when this girl text me 5 minutes after it was over saying she had a good time and thanks for the date. I replied I had a good time also.

I called her 2 days later. We went out again. She then invited me over. It wasn't her house, it was a friends. The friend asked me a million freaking questions. After that date I text her that it was extremely awkward. I'm not going to be grilled by some girl I'm not interested in. Next.

MrDNA
01-11-2009, 01:02 PM
I echo the sentiment of not wanting. If you had a good time and are moved to say it, say it. If that turns her off, she's not right for you anyway.

DeToxRox
01-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Just an FYI

Take this girl ice skating for a second date:

1. If you can't skate, she'll think its cute
2. If she can't skate and you can, she's all over you
3. If neither of you can't skate you fall together, she laughs and thinks it's even cuter

It's an old hockey player trick, and one I think works magnificently.

Matthean
01-11-2009, 02:28 PM
The 3 day rule is for fubes.

It's great plot device for a movie, but really, one shouldn't over think things. You had a good time want to let her know? In the words of a great philosopher, tell her about it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omFqlr_kso0)

:p

Waiting because of some silly rule when you already know how you feel is being a disservice to yourself and to her. If she can't handle how you want to run things, then might as well find out sooner versus later.

TCY Junkie
01-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Just an FYI

3. If neither of you can't skate you fall together, she laughs and thinks it's even cuter

This is what we did the first part of the second date. I totally showed I didn't care what others thought by falling down way too many times. We laughed when we took our skates off because there was a video showing how to fall down properly and I was doing it the wrong way. I meant to just say I agree.

Chief Rum
01-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Just an FYI

#s 1 and 3 are known as the "Maple Leaf" options, I believe.

MylesKnight
01-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Best of luck to you Panerd. You already mentioned Swingers, dang I was going to throw a nice long quote in this thread. :D

Karlifornia
01-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Don't even bother calling. Just show up to her house tomorrow before she goes to work, and ask her to step outside...when gets out there, tell her to look up..BOOM...skywriter is just finishing up "Will you marry me?"

BrianD
01-11-2009, 03:17 PM
The 3-day rule is stupid at any age. If you have to try to build suspense to get her interested, or be something you aren't, things aren't going to go well anyway. Be yourself, tell her you enjoyed yourself and wait for the response. You'll get a quick response which will tell you if a second date can happen.

Ryan S
01-11-2009, 05:50 PM

What happens if both of you can skate?

DeToxRox
01-11-2009, 05:52 PM
What happens if both of you can skate?

Then it's a quaint time had by all.

QuikSand
01-11-2009, 07:20 PM
It's great plot device for a movie, but really, one shouldn't over think things. You had a good time want to let her know? In the words of a great philosopher, tell her about it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omFqlr_kso0)

Okay, no more links to filth like that around here, please. Consider this your official warning.

DeToxRox
01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Okay, no more links to filth like that around here, please. Consider this your official warning.

Bannable offense imo.

flere-imsaho
01-12-2009, 08:10 AM
This thread delivers on the funny. Good work everyone! :D

Apathetic Lurker
01-12-2009, 08:12 AM
I didnt wait no damn 3 days or whatever.. Now i'm married..take it whatever way you want, good or bad.....

BrianD
01-12-2009, 08:49 AM
I didnt wait no damn 3 days or whatever.. Now i'm married..take it whatever way you want, good or bad.....

I would say that I didn't wait either, but the truth is my current wife didn't let me know we were dating until date number 3 or 4.

panerd
01-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Well that couldn't have gone better. We have another date later this week. Here is the only thing that is stupid. Even though I am claiming to not care about rules I waited to e-mail her until last night around 6 and then she said she doesn't buy into that crap either but waited almost the exact amount of time to respond. Oh well at least it's not 3 days in between correspondance!

DeToxRox
01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Well that couldn't have gone better. We have another date later this week. Here is the only thing that is stupid. Even though I am claiming to not care about rules I waited to e-mail her until last night around 6 and then she said she doesn't buy into that crap either but waited almost the exact amount of time to respond. Oh well at least it's not 3 days in between correspondance!

Okay. Now it's time for nudes.

Which of course, are thusly shared with FOFC.

panerd
01-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Okay. Now it's time for nudes.

Which of course, are thusly shared with FOFC.

How about I just get some pictures of her in patriotic undies? :)

DeToxRox
01-12-2009, 09:26 PM
How about I just get some pictures of her in patriotic undies? :)

As long as she's doing the splits.

Flasch186
01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
and is a slut. what?

Groundhog
01-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I usually wait until the next day sometime in the afternoon, but back when I was doing the dating thing about 6 months ago or so, a few times I got text msgs from the girls almost immediately after the date and that made me feel pretty good about myself.

kingnebwsu
01-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Should I give her every reason to accept that I'm for real?

First off, nobody knows women like Billy Joel. Uptown Girl got me through high school...but that's a story for another time ;)

Karlifornia
01-12-2009, 10:29 PM
and is a slut. what?

Well, with a slut you always have to wait at least 3 days to call. You know why? Her pussy has to heal from the first date.