PDA

View Full Version : Is Buffalo Wild Wings (B-Dub's) Becoming the Wal-Mart of Sports Bars?

MylesKnight
01-11-2009, 04:23 PM
I ask because I pretty much can't watch a sporting event on TV anymore without a BWW commercial or two at some point, and also the fact that I can't seem to go anywhere anymore (I travel quite a bit with work) without seeing one of these places.

I used to like B-Dub's back in the day, but they're really getting rather blah. Nothing compares to the independent sports bar/bar that is well run.

Karlifornia
01-11-2009, 04:42 PM
We don't have them here. I always wanted to go to one. Call it a dream.

DaddyTorgo
01-11-2009, 04:46 PM
We don't have them here. I always wanted to go to one. Call it a dream.

i went to hooters when i was out there with my buddy for the first time. i was distinctly "meh" on it

Karlifornia
01-11-2009, 04:51 PM
i went to hooters when i was out there with my buddy for the first time. i was distinctly "meh" on it

Yeah, we just got a Hooters in Campbell a few months ago. I went once, and I'll probably not be going back very often, if at all. The wings were kind of nasty, and the girls wouldn't leave us alone. Yeah, the fake flirting is cool, but I want to eat my damn food before it gets cold.

Warhammer
01-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Hooters was much better 10 years ago. At some point, the food went from decent/good to bleh.

DaddyTorgo
01-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah, we just got a Hooters in Campbell a few months ago. I went once, and I'll probably not be going back very often, if at all. The wings were kind of nasty, and the girls wouldn't leave us alone. Yeah, the fake flirting is cool, but I want to eat my damn food before it gets cold.

lol that's the one i went to. across from what was it...a google building?

Karlifornia
01-11-2009, 04:55 PM
lol that's the one i went to. across from what was it...a google building?

eBay, I think.

DaddyTorgo
01-11-2009, 04:57 PM
yes yes. i knew it was one or the other.

my buddy's GF works down the road from there

Young Drachma
01-11-2009, 04:59 PM
I'd never been to one until last Friday. Just around the corner. It's pretty nice. I'm not a big wings guy, but it's a nice place for friends to be able to go. I'll surely be back. They were slow getting us our food, but otherwise, nice joint.

Crapshoot
01-11-2009, 05:21 PM

Haha - I know the one you're talking about; no desire to go. at Campbell, the Rock Bottom is better food anyway.

Daimyo
01-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Hasn't it always been that way? Its just another franchise with the exact same experience no matter where you are in the country.

terpkristin
01-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Hasn't it always been that way? Its just another franchise with the exact same experience no matter where you are in the country.

Never been to a Buffalo Wild Wings, but I encourage you all to go because I hold BWLD stock. ;)

But this statement kind of caught me offguard...the one thing I've noticed with any consistency regarding chain restaurants or stores in general is how different they can be depending where in the country you are.

Since this thread mentions Wal-Mart, I'll use that as my prime example. The Wal-Mart's I've been to in Dulles and in Columbia are disgusting pigstys where people just throw things on the floor (unwanted merchandise, food, etc), are insanely rude, and frankly I feel dirty walking into them. The Wal-Mart I used to go to regularly in Greenbrier, WV was a really nice experience. It was clean, people were friendly, and it was a pleasant shopping experience. The difference? People in the Dulles and Columbia areas have a lot of other places they can go including Target and have more wealth (generally speaking). Wal-Mart is seen as the last resort, or the place where "the poor people are forced to shop" (sounds crass, but that's the vibe I get). In Greenbrier, it was the only place...

/tk

Chief Rum
01-11-2009, 06:01 PM
But this statement kind of caught me offguard...the one thing I've noticed with any consistency regarding chain restaurants or stores in general is how different they can be depending where in the country you are.

Since this thread mentions Wal-Mart, I'll use that as my prime example. The Wal-Mart's I've been to in Dulles and in Columbia are disgusting pigstys where people just throw things on the floor (unwanted merchandise, food, etc), are insanely rude, and frankly I feel dirty walking into them. The Wal-Mart I used to go to regularly in Greenbrier, WV was a really nice experience. It was clean, people were friendly, and it was a pleasant shopping experience. The difference? People in the Dulles and Columbia areas have a lot of other places they can go including Target and have more wealth (generally speaking). Wal-Mart is seen as the last resort, or the place where "the poor people are forced to shop" (sounds crass, but that's the vibe I get). In Greenbrier, it was the only place...

/tk

Economics says this doesn't make any sense.

RendeR
01-11-2009, 06:35 PM

Economics might want to learn something then because I've seen the exact same thing in different areas. both here in western NY and in MA where I lived for 4 years. The wal-marts that were the only real point of sale stores in an area were nicer, cleaner and more pleasant than the ones where there was a ton of competition.

ColtCrazy
01-11-2009, 06:38 PM
I love B-Dubs, but I don't get to go to it every often. The closest ones are about 30 minutes north and south of me. The one to the north is nice. Food is always fresh, great atmosphere. The one to the south I've only been to once, but it was full of stupid teens, had lousy service, and the food just didn't have the same zing. Odd how the same stuff can taste different depending on where you go.

JonInMiddleGA
01-11-2009, 06:50 PM

Only if the store was entirely in control of the store condition.

Instead, you have the consumer side of the equation to relieve the store from the need to do so much clean up work because when it's drawing from a broader range of customers the percentage of folks who will knock crap on the floor & leave it laying and such is lower while the percentage of folks who will actually help by straightening an item when they walk past or reporting a problem, etc is higher.

Lathum
01-11-2009, 07:10 PM
The thing I like about B-dubs is I know for a fact they game ( usualy Giants) will be on ( obviously outside the NY area). Sometimes you go to an independant place and they don't have the game on or they don't know how to work the direct TV.

Plus they usualy have decent beer specials and like the trivia game.

I used to go to the one in Hyde Park area of Cincinnati and it was well run and I always enjoyed it.

Neuqua
01-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I enjoy BDubs. Their sauces are yum.

cuervo72
01-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I can't say for sure that I'd ever even heard of them before this thread. If I've heard any ads on the radio, I've tuned them out, because I can't remember them.

Maple Leafs
01-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Are they any relation to the chain we have up here in Ontario that's just called Wild Wings? Because if so, they suck.

Warhammer
01-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Wild Wings is different.

JonInMiddleGA
01-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Are they any relation to the chain we have up here in Ontario that's just called Wild Wings? Because if so, they suck.

Looking at the vastly different franchise requirements for the two, I'd say there's probably no connection at all beyond the name.

RainMaker
01-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Hooters isn't a place you go to for the average sports bar experience. It's just something you do a few times a year to see some young hot girls with big tits giving you fake attention. I'm not a guy who will go a ton, but I do like the experience.

Wild Wings has nothing to offer in my opinion. It's kind of a cold way of watching a game. I'd much rather do a local bar or hit up the ESPN Zone.

korme
01-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Going to Bdubs is such a challenge, we try to go every Sunday because of the 5 roomies, three are Bengals fans, one a Browns fan, and the other a Pats fan (he's from Boston)... so we need to usually go to see all three games... it's just that if a game starts at 1pm EST, you have to get there by around noon just to get a seat.