PDA

View Full Version : Ping: Ben et all: The Ol'Ball Coach banned from Tucker?

SirFozzie
01-12-2009, 11:53 AM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/84872

Steve Spurrier and the South Carolina Gamecocks are "no longer welcome" at Tucker High, one of the state's top producers of college football prospects. Tucker coach Franklin Stephens told the AJC of his proclamation after speaking with Spurrier on Sunday night. It had to do with Tucker linebacker Jonathan Davis, who had committed to South Carolina but was told on Friday that the Gamecocks had withdrawn the scholarship offer. On Friday, Stephens had a "heated" conversation with Gamecocks assistant Shane Beamer, who ultimately said "South Carolina had to do what was in South Carolina's best interests when it came to recruiting," according to Stephens.

Welcome to AJC! | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfbrecruit/entries/2009/01/12/steve_spurrier.html)

albionmoonlight
01-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm suprised that this does not happen more often. It seems that the high schools (and coaches) would hold a lot of power in that relationship.

Logan
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Spurrier must've cried during a press conference to earn that sort of wrath from the school.

Tigercat
01-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Spurrier and Company are a bunch of idiots. They aren't Florida, LSU, or Alabama. Davis is very undersized, but he is still more physically talented than most of USC's defensive roster.

Maybe you pull the scholarship of an unathletic kid from a tiny school, but an athlete from one of the best programs in a bordering state? Stupid, stupid.

JonInMiddleGA
01-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Stupid, stupid.

Unless of course there's more to the story than one side is telling (and the other side legally can't comment on).

Tasan
01-12-2009, 02:58 PM
It does seem like a pretty moronic move. Tucker is a big, local producer of talent, and Usc (not to be confused with the real USC) is not a huge school that can go and get anybody they want. Way to cut a pipeline there Steve-o.

Atocep
01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Unless of course there's more to the story than one side is telling (and the other side legally can't comment on).

Seems to be the case considering Georgia Tech pulled their offer to him as well.

DeToxRox
01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Without jumping to conclusions .. Million Dollar Man's theme seems to come to mind.

DeToxRox
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
BTW sounds eerily familiar to BJ Daniels, who went to USF last year. Michigan NEEDED a QB after Pryor seemed like he was going to OSU, and Daniels was a 4* kid who was a lock. Then .. Michigan pulled their offered out of the blue.

No one has really come out and said why, but there were some people within the family who were "involved" in the recruitment. Not nessecarily the kid though, but that caused the schollie to be pulled.

Anyway - Could be a different scenario but it's the first thing that came to mind.

ISiddiqui
01-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Spurrier must've cried during a press conference to earn that sort of wrath from the school.

LOL!

JonInMiddleGA
01-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Without jumping to conclusions .. Million Dollar Man's theme seems to come to mind.

The phrase "stage dad" has been coming up quite a bit lately among the more complimentary terms associated with the situation.

DeToxRox
01-12-2009, 03:13 PM
The phrase "stage dad" has been coming up quite a bit lately among the more complimentary terms associated with the situation.

Well then perhaps American Idol and not College footbal is this individuals best option for the fall?

But seriously, I know these kids are 17, but this is there choice still, not their parents. Too many times the kid is strongarmed into a decision (cough Mustain cough) they'll regret.

digamma
01-12-2009, 03:51 PM

This.

Ben E Lou
01-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I haven't talked to anyone from Tucker in a couple of weeks, but there is some backstory involved here, too. I strongly suspect that there's more to this story on both sides of the equation.

digamma
01-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I haven't talked to anyone from Tucker in a couple of weeks, but there is some backstory involved here, too. I strongly suspect that there's more to this story on both sides of the equation.

Yup. Ben is right. I didn't mean to insinuate that there was only one side not talking.

Tigercat
01-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Ah, from a casual observer it just looked like USC pulled their offer when the coach that was big on the kid left Carolina, that in itself would be a moronic move.

But as much as I am big on Davis' athleticism, if anyone tried to have their hand out on a 5'8 LB, that would be the stupidest move of them all.

Eaglesfan27
01-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Spurrier and Company are a bunch of idiots. They aren't Florida, LSU, or Alabama. Davis is very undersized, but he is still more physically talented than most of USC's defensive roster.

Maybe you pull the scholarship of an unathletic kid from a tiny school, but an athlete from one of the best programs in a bordering state? Stupid, stupid.

I was about to jump on the USC comment and then realized you were referring to that impostor out east ;)

This is getting a lot of national play or at least I've seen it discussed on the Southern Cal Message boards. I'm curious what the real story is. Regardless, I can't imagine this being good for South Carolina's recruiting.

DeToxRox
01-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Part of it I read was South Carolinas position coach was told not to offer him, but did anyway.

It sounds like BS but who knows.

Buccaneer
01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Seems to be the case considering Georgia Tech pulled their offer to him as well.

So Tucker banned Georgia Tech as well?

CU Tiger
01-12-2009, 06:59 PM
1) We call SC USCjr around here. 2) What will come of all this, who knows. But I have a good friend who coaches for SC (the trader) on a serious level. (I was in his wedding party, and he makes 6 figure income from coaching...he isnt some one's paper boy) and SC was WELL aware of the issues and Spurrier himself discussed this with Tucker's coach...then Spurrier went back on his word 3) This is especially heinous since in a Saturday meeting Spurrier told all rising seniors that have not been major contributors they should look elsewhere if they want to play football as he plans to pull their scholarships (14 players in total) and this is causing a stir.

JonInMiddleGA
01-12-2009, 07:09 PM
in a Saturday meeting Spurrier told all rising seniors that have not been major contributors they should look elsewhere if they want to play football as he plans to pull their scholarships (14 players in total) and this is causing a stir.

Considering how little some of them have produced, I can't say that I blame him much to be honest.

CU Tiger
01-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Considering how little some of them have produced, I can't say that I blame him much to be honest.

sure but if theyve ran scout team and busted their asses for 3 yer, to yank their scholly and not allow them tto get a degree is low class....legal but classless Then again class isnt something spurrier has ever been high on

CU Tiger
01-12-2009, 11:15 PM

sure but if theyve ran scout team and busted their asses for 3 years, to yank their scholly and not allow them to finish their degree is low class....legal but classless Then again class isnt something spurrier has ever been high on

mckerney
01-12-2009, 11:18 PM
So Tucker banned Georgia Tech as well?

Georgia Tech pulled their offer while they were recruiting him, South Carolina pulled their offer after he'd been committed for a month. Different situations, so probably not.

Ragone
01-13-2009, 01:22 AM
damn shame.. there is only hundreds of thousands of other high schools across the coutnry.

Spurrier is an major league ass though.

sterlingice
01-13-2009, 07:53 AM
I was about to jump on the USC comment and then realized you were referring to that impostor out east ;)

To be fair, USC (South Carolina) is about 80 years older and named after a state and not some fictitious region ;)

SI

larrymcg421
01-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Who does this hurt more? South Carolina or Tucker kids with Division 1-A aspirations?

Klinglerware
01-13-2009, 08:55 AM
3) This is especially heinous since in a Saturday meeting Spurrier told all rising seniors that have not been major contributors they should look elsewhere if they want to play football as he plans to pull their scholarships (14 players in total) and this is causing a stir.

Is that rising seniors or rising 5th-year seniors? If it is the former, then I agree that is bad form. If it is the latter, still a little unsavory but many programs do that (with the assumption that you should have graduated by the end of your fourth year)--if you already have your undergrad degree and you don't project out to be a contributor for your 5th year, I can see why they can justify yanking your scholarship.

Ben E Lou
01-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Who does this hurt more? South Carolina or Tucker kids with Division 1-A aspirations?Neither to any huge degree. Tucker has sent one kid to USC in the last decade (and Spurrier yanked B.Y.'s scholly when he showed up :mad:). Other coaches aren't going to shy away from recruiting Tucker because of this. They're a middle-of-the-road SEC program; chances are extremely low that there will ever be a kid for whom USC is the *only* D1 option.